PDA

View Full Version : Computers All Mac users: Q&A's/Trials and Recommendations

Johnny Vegas
01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Who's all on a Mac?

Have any advice, questions, or problems?

Any rumors?

Johnny Vegas
01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Does anyone have the Mac TV? Is it worth getting?

Don't get the iomega 500GB HD. It crapped out on me 3 months after I bought it. I have a Western Digital 500GB HD about the size of my checkbook and it is flawless.

UteChief
01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Aimersoft DVD Ripper works well for converting DVDs for your iPod.

Johnny Vegas
01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Aimersoft DVD Ripper works well for converting DVDs for your iPod.

I will check that out! That reminded me about HANDBRAKE. Its good for putting your dvd's on your hard drive as well as converting them to your ipod. Its free, too. I've put my whole Sopranos collection on my HD. It doesn't support bluray.

BucEyedPea
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I am. I am on my new MacPro using Leopard too. I love it!

Johnny Vegas
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I am. I am on my new MacPro using Leopard too. I love it!

Nice! You doing video or photography? I'm trying to figure out Apeture II still. I can't adjust the size of the pics or dimensions.

gblowfish
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a MacPro Tower and a Mac Pro Laptop. Just bought a touch screen Ipod, but haven't gotten it from Best Buy yet. I've owned 5 or 6 Macs over the year. The Mercedes Benz of computers.

BucEyedPea
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice! You doing video or photography? I'm trying to figure out Apeture II still. I can't adjust the size of the pics or dimensions.

No I do graphics and digital illustration. So I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5114/southpacificvr6.gif

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7015/woointrohb5.png

88TG88
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
We have the pro towers at school and they're fully loaded. Maya, Aperture, Pro tools, CS3, and Final Cut. I suck at all of them.

Overall, I like how they perform.

HC_Chief
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
No I do graphics and digital illustration. So I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

Nice work :)

Silock
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I broke down and bought DVDRemaster Pro for ripping DVDs. I like it better than Handbrake. It's 1-step and does great encoding.

iSquint is great for converting any other movie format to iPod-ready/iTunes-ready mp4s. Has worked for everything from .mkv to .wmv and .avis.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I also just bought Aimersoft. Seems to work well, but is really slow.

Johnny Vegas
01-05-2009, 09:41 PM

that is an awesome job! Do you use a pen and pad? I'm thinking about getting this tomorrow.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8022631&type=product&id=1156607399259

BucEyedPea
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Nope. All done with mouse. I sketch some of it on paper, then I scan it, and hand trace using vectors with my mouse...but make changes as I go. But I once had a Wacom, in the 90's but never used it. It was given to me and used. But that price is excellent. I may pick one up myself. It makes a more natural hand drawn line. I just find I have great control with the mouse using the vectors and then reshaping them.

Those were for some Playbills. My daughter posed for me in the South Pacific one.

Thank you btw!

88TG88
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
that is an awesome job! Do you use a pen and pad? I'm thinking about getting this tomorrow.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8022631&type=product&id=1156607399259

We use those at school. They're pretty good for making long broad lines. I use a mouse for smaller details.

Johnny Vegas
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Nope. All done with mouse. I sketch some of it on paper, then I scan it, and hand trace using vectors with my mouse...but make changes as I go. But I once had a Wacom, in the 90's but never used it. It was given to me and used. But that price is excellent. I may pick one up myself. It makes a more natural hand drawn line. I just find I have great control with the mouse using the vectors and then reshaping them.

Those were for some Playbills. My daughter posed for me in the South Pacific one.

Thank you btw!

Thats a good idea to scan the sketch. Never would have thought to do something like that. I want to do editing with pics of me photoshopped with 'A' list celebrities and put them up on my wall for a good laugh to who ever comes in my house.

BucEyedPea
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Thats a good idea to scan the sketch. Never would have thought to do something like that. I want to do editing with pics of me photoshopped with 'A' list celebrities and put them up on my wall for a good laugh to who ever comes in my house.

Photoshop is the program for that because it's digital imaging.

You can draw and paint in it too but somethings are too awkward in that program especially for vectors. Illustrator is still the program for that and logos.

Most illustrators and cartoonists sketch something first.

NewChief
01-06-2009, 09:45 AM

If you get a Wacom, you're going to need to make a commitment to learning it and using it. It does not come naturally at all. We purchased one for my wife, and she never used it. On the other hand, designers I've worked with who have actually committed to getting over the learning curve swear by them. They're also amazingly fast once you learn to use them with hot keys and shortcuts.

Just don't expect to plug the thing in and it feel like you're sketching with a pencil on a notepad.

BucEyedPea
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
If you get a Wacom, you're going to need to make a commitment to learning it and using it. It does not come naturally at all.

Interesting. I never did have the time to make that committment back then becuase my kid was young. My guess is it's much like learning the pen tool which also takes a commitment and can be frustrating at first but once you get.....ahhhhh! So wonderful...and so much control.

Fish
01-06-2009, 10:04 AM
If you get a Wacom, you're going to need to make a commitment to learning it and using it. It does not come naturally at all. We purchased one for my wife, and she never used it. On the other hand, designers I've worked with who have actually committed to getting over the learning curve swear by them. They're also amazingly fast once you learn to use them with hot keys and shortcuts.

Just don't expect to plug the thing in and it feel like you're sketching with a pencil on a notepad.

Very good point. I hate hate hate them. Several users that I support have these and can't work without them, but I have to bring my own mouse if I need to work on their machine... It's seems like it would be fairly intuitive since it's shaped like a pencil and all, but noooo...

BucEyedPea
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Very good point. I hate hate hate them. Several users that I support have these and can't work without them, but I have to bring my own mouse if I need to work on their machine... It's seems like it would be fairly intuitive since it's shaped like a pencil and all, but noooo...

Is that so? Interesting...maybe I won't get one afterall. My mouse does what I need. Then I reshape with the pencil tool to soften...and there's always the brush tools too. Like the calligraphic.

HC_Chief
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Is that so? Interesting...maybe I won't get one afterall. My mouse does what I need. Then I reshape with the pencil tool to soften...and there's always the brush tools too. Like the calligraphic.

The Wacom I have came with a mouse and pen. I like it; find it easy to use.

BucEyedPea
01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
The Wacom I have came with a mouse and pen. I like it; find it easy to use.

Hmmm....guess I need to find out for myself.

NewChief
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Hmmm....guess I need to find out for myself.

They're not that hard to use just for drawing, but to really utilize them fully, from what I've witnessed with designer's who use them, you need to use them for everything, including navigation, tool switches (or use hotkeys), zooming in and out, etc...

If you're constantly having to switch over to your mouse when you want to do a file command or when you want to zoom in or out, or even switch to another window, then it's horribly inefficient. The production designers who I see that use them, use them pretty much exclusively with no mouse.

BucEyedPea
01-06-2009, 11:14 AM
They're not that hard to use just for drawing, but to really utilize them fully, from what I've witnessed with designer's who use them, you need to use them for everything, including navigation, tool switches (or use hotkeys), zooming in and out, etc...

If you're constantly having to switch over to your mouse when you want to do a file command or when you want to zoom in or out, or even switch to another window, then it's horribly inefficient. The production designers who I see that use them, use them pretty much exclusively with no mouse.
So if you just want to do a single hand-look soft pencil drawing and then bring it into another program you'd have to know all that?

NewChief
01-06-2009, 11:16 AM
So if you just want to do a single hand-look soft pencil drawing and then bring it into another program you'd have to know all that?

No. I'm just talking about in using it efficiently. If that's what you want to do, though, it's just as easy and not much less efficient just to do it on paper then scan it in.

BucEyedPea
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
No. I'm just talking about in using it efficiently. If that's what you want to do, though, it's just as easy and not much less efficient just to do it on paper then scan it in.
Hmm. Thanks!

I wish I could try one without having to buy it first...and with someone proficient who could walk me through it for a quick start just to see.

HC_Chief
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Their Wacom must be a lot more complex than the one I have (I wouldn't doubt that at all). For shortcuts I use key-combos; i.e. I use the keyboard for switching tools, windows, etc. The pen is great for drawing IMO.

Fish
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Recommendation: Macbook Pro 17"

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

Other than the non-removable battery, this mofo is smoking....

What's New
• Aluminum unibody enclosure
• New built-in battery -- up to eight hours of use and up to 1,000 recharges*.
• High resolution LED-backlit display
• Large glass Multi-Touch™ trackpad
• State of the art NVIDIA graphics
• Latest generation Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processors
<o></o>
Environment
• Unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum
• Meets stringent energy efficiency standards
• Contains no brominated flame retardants and uses internal cables and components that are PVC-free.
• LED-backlit display uses up to 30 percent less energy and eliminates the mercury found in industry standard fluorescent tube backlights
• EPEAT Gold status
<o></o>
Complete Specs
• 17-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1920 x 1200, glossy display;
• 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB shared L2 cache;
• 1066 MHz front-side bus;
• 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM;
• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;
• NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics with 512MB GDDR3 video memory;
• 320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
• a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVDฑR DL/DVDฑRW/CD-RW) optical drive;
• Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);
• built-in AirPort Extremeฎ 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;
• Gigabit Ethernet port;
• built-in iSight video camera;
• three USB 2.0 ports;
• one FireWireฎ 800 port (FireWire 400 compatible);
• ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;
• one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;
• glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;
• built-in, 95WHr lithium polymer battery; and
• 85 Watt MagSafeฎ Power Adapter.
<o></o>
• $2,599 EDU
<o></o>
Options
• 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
• 8GB 1066 MHz DDR 3 memory
• 320GB 7200 rpm hard drive
• 128GB or 256GB solid state drive
• Anti-glare display
• Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
• Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for 30-inch DVI display)
• Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
• Apple Remote
• Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter
• AppleCare Protection Plan.
<o></o>
The new 17-inch MacBook Pro will be shipping at the end of January
<o></o>
*A properly maintained Apple 17-inch MacBook Pro battery is designed
to retain 80 percent or more of its original capacity during a
lifespan of up to 1,000 recharge cycles. Battery life and charge
cycles vary by use and settings. For more information visit www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery)

HC_Chief
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Recommendation: Macbook Pro 17"

That's the laptop I'm posting on right now ;)

You will not be disappointed. It is, without a doubt, the best computer I have ever owned.

Fish
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
That's the laptop I'm posting on right now ;)

You will not be disappointed. It is, without a doubt, the best computer I have ever owned.

If you're posting on one of these right now, then you must work pretty high up for Apple, or you have a spiffy time machine. This model is not available for purchase till the end of the month.

You may be thinking of the similar 15" model that is already commercially available.... And there are some significant differences between the 15" and the 17"...

The 15" is bad ass in it's own right though...

HC_Chief
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
If you're posting on one of these right now, then you must work pretty high up for Apple, or you have a spiffy time machine. This model is not available for purchase till the end of the month.

You may be thinking of the similar 15" model that is already commercially available.... And there are some significant differences between the 15" and the 17"...

The 15" is bad ass in it's own right though...

You are technically correct... I'm on the 17" MBPro model which precedes the one you listed.

Johnny Vegas
01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
here are my babies!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/badmajama/MISC/0106091529.jpg

Johnny Vegas
01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I bought that dvdremaster program and its not encrypting any of the dvd's I own. Handbrake has been ripping the dvd's dvdremaster can't rip. Am I doing something wrong?

Silock
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I bought that dvdremaster program and its not encrypting any of the dvd's I own. Handbrake has been ripping the dvd's dvdremaster can't rip. Am I doing something wrong?

DVDRemaster isn't an encryption program.

Step 1: Insert disc.
Step 2: Launch the "FairMount" program that came with DVDRemaster.
Step 3: Launch DVDRemaster.
Step 4: Choose the disc as your source in DVDRemaster Pro.
Step 5: Select which tracks you want to convert. Use Export, not Extract. Choose the settings you want. Personally, I chose iPod @ 640 pixels, 1000 kbps, original framerate, H264, and multipass.
Step 6: Hit "Start."

Johnny Vegas
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
DVDRemaster isn't an encryption program.

Step 1: Insert disc.
Step 2: Launch the "FairMount" program that came with DVDRemaster.
Step 3: Launch DVDRemaster.
Step 4: Choose the disc as your source in DVDRemaster Pro.
Step 5: Select which tracks you want to convert. Use Export, not Extract. Choose the settings you want. Personally, I chose iPod @ 640 pixels, 1000 kbps, original framerate, H264, and multipass.
Step 6: Hit "Start."

So its not a program for putting, lets say Chappelle's Show, on to my hard drive then to my itouch?

Silock
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, but that's not encryption. It's encoding, which is different. It requires you to own the DVD. It doesn't convert downloaded movies. iSquint can do that, which is a different program.

Johnny Vegas
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Yes, but that's not encryption. It's encoding, which is different. It requires you to own the DVD. It doesn't convert downloaded movies. iSquint can do that, which is a different program.

okay. Now I get that part. Then my problem is I can't encode the dvds dvdremaster because it says its copy right protected, but handbrake will encode the dvd that the dvdremaster denied. I guess its picky? I'll keep trying other dvds.

Johnny Vegas
01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
got it to work!! its great! I couldn't get wall-e to encode right with the handbrake and found the right title in the dvdremaster to put it on my HD. Thanks Silock!

Silock
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
okay. Now I get that part. Then my problem is I can't encode the dvds dvdremaster because it says its copy right protected, but handbrake will encode the dvd that the dvdremaster denied. I guess its picky? I'll keep trying other dvds.

I've never had it say that. I have had it fail sometimes because the copy protection schemes on some DVDs fool every program.

Glad you got it working, though. It really is quite handy for an all-in-one step.

Johnny Vegas
02-01-2009, 06:38 AM
I picked up this. It has a resolution picture up to 1080i. Has HDMI. AppleTV would be better, but with this you can use it with out needing a computer. I will most likely use when I'm in hotels. It comes with an A/V cord.

http://www.dlo.com/Products/homedock_HD_Prod.tpl

88TG88
02-01-2009, 12:26 PM
how much wwas it ?

Johnny Vegas
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
how much wwas it ?

I got it for $250 at Best Buy. I've seen some for less when I googled it. Really convenient and light weight.

MaxFects
02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Just got my first mac. It's a white macbook and it's been cool so far except for the fact that the wirless connection with my linksys is either crawling slow or doesn't connect at all. Might have to get a new router maybe. My girlfriends laptop connect to the router fine also, it's weird.

At least I have a 20 ft eithernet cable hanging around :)

Silock
02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Just got my first mac. It's a white macbook and it's been cool so far except for the fact that the wirless connection with my linksys is either crawling slow or doesn't connect at all. Might have to get a new router maybe. My girlfriends laptop connect to the router fine also, it's weird.

At least I have a 20 ft eithernet cable hanging around :)

Make sure you do the system updates. Airport drivers kinda suck unless they're upgraded.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I've never had it say that. I have had it fail sometimes because the copy protection schemes on some DVDs fool every program.

No, they don't. Those goddamned PC only programs have a couple of tools that will defeat any encryption, including AACS.

Gravedigger
02-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Same with me, I own a Macbook Pro for my graphic design/web design and a desktop for my gaming and stuff. I love the Mac interface with leopard, its far more pleasant to stare at for hours at a time than a more bland windows OS.

Silock
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
No, they don't. Those goddamned PC only programs have a couple of tools that will defeat any encryption, including AACS.

Yeah, even when attempting the rip in Windows XP, it still fails. Link to these magic programs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah, even when attempting the rip in Windows XP, it still fails. Link to these magic programs.

AnyDVD.