PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Please no more Orakpo talk

bowener
01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
After tonight's game, he is definitely undeserving of the #3 pick.

He got shut down by a quality LT tonight, and completely disappeared. I never really saw him contribute in the running game, which is frightening since our run D was atrocious this season.

All I am saying is that if we draft a DE at #3, he had better be like Mario Williams, able to stop the run and disrupt the passing game on a consistent basis. I do not see that from Orakpo, or most of the top DE's this year.

So, let the QBOTF/OL/LB/DB debate begin!

Sorry if repost.
Sorry if I am lame.

edit: please feel free to move this to the draft forum if you would like, mods.

RealSNR
01-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Ya mean like Glenn Dorsey?

(no, that's not supposed to make sense)

Sure-Oz
01-05-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd say he's a black jared allen

Demonpenz
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM

He got shut down by a quality LT tonight, and completely disappeared. I never really saw him contribute in the running game, which is frightening since our run D was atrocious this season.

All I am saying is that if we draft a DE at #3, he had better be like Mario Williams, able to stop the run and disrupt the passing game on a consistent basis. I do not see that from Orakpo, or most of the top DE's this year.

Sorry if repost.
Sorry if I am lame.

:clap:

Mecca
There is nothing resembling Mario Williams from these ends.....there's alot of ends but no top tier elite guy.

smittysbar
He did suck it up tonight.

RealSNR
01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
There is nothing resembling Mario Williams from these ends.....there's alot of ends but no top tier elite guy.You think we'll be able to get a quality guy still in the 2nd then?

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I hadn't really been overwhelmed by him before, and tonight didn't help his cause.

He'll be a workout warrior like Gholston was, and someone will fall in love with him because he has great workouts in a tee shirt and shorts.

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Orakpo to me at the next level is a strong side end, he puts on 15-20lbs and plays over RT.

Coach
01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Orakpo to me at the next level is a strong side end, he puts on 15-20lbs and plays over RT.

So, sounds like he's not a typical top 5 guy? (Minus the workouts of course)

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't take him in the top 5....I don't really think any of these ends are worthy of that.

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 11:42 PM
So, sounds like he's not a typical top 5 guy? (Minus the workouts of course)

Honestly, who actually looks like a legit Top 5 pick right now?

It's starting to look like Stafford and Sanchez, and a bunch of question marks.

Huge concern about Bradford being a spread QB.

Andre Smith's weight/footowrk may keep him from being a LT.

Monroe?

Oher?

Mays?

Coach
01-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't take him in the top 5....I don't really think any of these ends are worthy of that.

I agree.

You know, this year's draft class is looking pretty shitty, compared to years past. I mean, there isn't exactly a "consensus" number one. Half of them say Bradford. The other half, Stafford. The others, none of them are really worthy of a top 5 pick.

All the Chiefs better hope is that the Lions and Rams either pick Bradford or someone else, and not Stafford. If Stafford is gone, what is the best choice for the Chiefs on 3rd?

In my opinion, it would be wise to trade out.

pr_capone
01-05-2009, 11:44 PM

What do you do with Tamba?

Do you move Tamba back to RE or do you demote him and leave Babin where he is?

Or do you see who is available in the later rounds and pick from there?

Free Agent RDE?

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Anytime there are potentially 2 franchise QB's at the top of a draft it's not a bad class....I also think the Rams will take whoever grades out as the best OT.

Coach
01-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Monroe?

Oher?

Mays?

Maybe Mays. Maybe Sanchez, but I am curious to see how much of his success reflects from the talent surrounding him. Kinda hard to get a good read on him.

But we already have a LT. Why pick another LT? Can't pick a RT on the top 5. Can't pick a LB on the top 5. etc. etc. etc.

ohiobronco2
I think he lined up on Boone's side all night and Boone has been a disappointment most of the season. Harvey abused him 2 years ago.

Mecca

Free Agent RDE?

You don't take a guy who plays over RT with a top 5 pick, that's what....and Jason Babin and Tamba Hali are bums that should have no influence over personnel moves.

Hali to me at best is a backup.

Coach
01-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Anytime there are potentially 2 franchise QB's at the top of a draft it's not a bad class....I also think the Rams will take whoever grades out as the best OT.

I know Stafford is one. Who's the other? Bradford? Sanchez? Bradford scares me more than Sanchez do as of this point, but it's not by much.

booger
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
you spelled please wrong you silly b!tch !!

bowener
01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Lets say we skip on DE at #3, and we want one at #34, where is the big LSU DE supposed to fall? How does he grade out?

bowener
01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
you spelled please wrong you silly b!tch !!

Mother ****er.

how do I edit that?

edit: figured it out. Thanks.

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
I know Stafford is one. Who's the other? Bradford? Sanchez? Bradford scares me more than Sanchez do as of this point, but it's not by much.

I'd rate Sanchez better than Bradford, either way they're all picked by 15 at the latest if all 3 come out, could be all 3 by 10.

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Lets say we skip on DE at #3, and we want one at #34, where is the big LSU DE supposed to fall? How does he grade out?

Tyson Jackson weighs 290lbs unless you are a 3-4 team why on earth would you want him?

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Tyson Jackson?

Reminds me of McBride.

Versatile, but lacks quickness and moves.

Coach
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
I'd rate Sanchez better than Bradford, either way they're all picked by 15 at the latest if all 3 come out, could be all 3 by 10.

But Bradford scares me more than Sanchez, because Oklahoma does not run a pro-style offense.

Isn't Bradford the same situation as McCoy is? Both of them play in a gimmick offense, and you did say that you would spend a 6th round pick on a QB who was breaking all kinds of records, so to speak.

And he's first round? I must be missing something here.....

bowener
01-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Also, I missed it while pissing, but did Orakpo's sack come when they moved him to LE and put him over the RT in an obvious passing situation? Looked that way on the replays as I was walking back into the room.

bowener
01-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Tyson Jackson weighs 290lbs unless you are a 3-4 team why on earth would you want him?

Oh shit. I thought he was slimmer, around 275 or so.

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:53 PM
But Bradford scares me more than Sanchez, because Oklahoma does not run a pro-style offense.

Isn't Bradford the same situation as McCoy is? Both of them play in a gimmick offense, and you did say that you would spend a 6th round pick on a QB who was breaking all kinds of records, so to speak.

And he's first round? I must be missing something here.....

That's the nature of the NFL, I personally wouldn't pick Sam Bradford regardless.

cdcox
01-05-2009, 11:54 PM
So if there isn't a QB that we like at #3 what to do?

Taylor Mays at safety would be worth it if he could be an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu type.

A lot of boards have Aarron Curry rated high, but he'd have to be a monster to take at #3 overall at LB. He'd need a HOF-type career to justify the pick. Is Curry that kind of guy?

After that you're stuck with taking an OT just to take best available athlete. Not my first choice

We really, really need all 3 QBs to come out.

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Scott Wright seems to think he can play the 5 technique in a 34, DT or DE in a 43.

And he's not the only one saying it...

Coach
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
That's the nature of the NFL, I personally wouldn't pick Sam Bradford regardless.

I wouldn't. I have been saying ever since the 2009 NFL Draft was brought up that I don't want any part of Bradford.

I think it really going to depend on where Sanchez may be pre-ranked. Even that, he could be a top 15 guy. My concern is, if Stafford is gone, and Bradford is there on 3rd, I sure hope that we trade out to get in the 10-15 range, where we HOPE that Sanchez will be avaiable. Hell, I'll go somewhere between 6-8, and reach him a little bit, if I have to.

One way or another, this team has way too many holes, that I'm under the belief that more draft picks is a must........

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Scott Wright seems to think he can play the 5 technique in a 34, DT or DE in a 43.

And he's not the only one saying it...

I'm just going with my instinct when I see him I see another LSU product, Marcus Spears.

cdcox
01-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Taylor Mays at safety would be worth it if he could be an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu type.

A lot of boards have Aarron Curry rated high, but he'd have to be a monster to take at #3 overall at LB. He'd need a HOF-type career to justify the pick. Is Curry that kind of guy?

After that you're stuck with taking an OT just to take best available athlete. Not my first choice

This post was a lot more timely when I started it.

Mecca
01-05-2009, 11:58 PM

As an SC fan I think Mays would cover as much if not more ground than those guys do and be every bit the hitter and intimidating type of player Polamalu is but he doesn't have Reeds hands. To this point he hasn't been a big play guy he's done what he's been asked to do.

The question is do you think in a different system and development of his unbelievable raw talent he becomes more of a playmaker.

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm just going with my instinct when I see him I see another LSU product, Marcus Spears.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be best used at the 5, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a 43 team take him.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I just go with my basic things, I'd never take an oversized end in a 4-3 when I expect the ends to be pass rushers.

cdcox
01-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't. I have been saying ever since the 2009 NFL Draft was brought up that I don't want any part of Bradford.

I think it really going to depend on where Sanchez may be pre-ranked. Even that, he could be a top 15 guy. My concern is, if Stafford is gone, and Bradford is there on 3rd, I sure hope that we trade out to get in the 10-15 range, where we HOPE that Sanchez will be avaiable. Hell, I'll go somewhere between 6-8, and reach him a little bit, if I have to.

One way or another, this team has way too many holes, that I'm under the belief that more draft picks is a must........

QBs are boom or bust. If your guy is there, someone you think can lead your franchise for a decade or more, you pull the trigger regardless of the value. No first round QB turns out to be worth exactly their draft pick. They are either worth far more or far less. If you think he has a chance to be worth far more, why mess around and lose him?

smittysbar
01-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Sanchez I doubt will fall that far if he comes out.

Coach
01-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Sanchez I doubt will fall that far if he comes out.

I'm just randomally guessing. He hasn't "declared" yet, and there's the matter of pro-days and workouts, etc.

cdcox
01-06-2009, 12:07 AM
As an SC fan I think Mays would cover as much if not more ground than those guys do and be every bit the hitter and intimidating type of player Polamalu is but he doesn't have Reeds hands. To this point he hasn't been a big play guy he's done what he's been asked to do.

The question is do you think in a different system and development of his unbelievable raw talent he becomes more of a playmaker.

For a guy with his speed, the range is there to be a playmaker. I guess it boils down to a couple things: 1) how are his football instincts and is he teachable and will he have a good film study ethic? You have to be in the right place to make plays. 2) can he learn to catch by on his hands. He doesn't have to be Tony Gonzalez or anything, but I think most people could get better by catching a couple hundred balls a day. 3) how is his vertical jump/body control?

Extra Point
01-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I couldn't understand cinching Orakpo in over OT. If that was his decision, then he just fu'd. Leaning at Maualuga moreso, just based on the post-season. Have to wait until after the declaration date, regarding a 1st rd QB.

bowener
01-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Okay, something that hasnt come up much if Pioli is picked is will he trade down?

I have seen the Pats do it a few times, not always, but they are always about getting value for their picks. So if the value isnt there at #3, does he sell it to the highest bidder, even if the price is a little cheaper than normal?

Personally, I get a hardon when I think of Mays roaming on our side of the D.

bowener
01-06-2009, 12:09 AM
For a guy with his speed, the range is there to be a playmaker. I guess it boils down to a couple things: 1) how are his football instincts and is he teachable and will he have a good film study ethic? You have to be in the right place to make plays. 2) can he learn to catch by on his hands. He doesn't have to be Tony Gonzalez or anything, but I think most people could get better by catching a couple hundred balls a day. 3) how is his vertical jump/body control?

Amazing on all. Serious. For the most part. But ask Mecca.

The kid said in an interview that while the other guys go out to LA and party and have fun, he sits alone and watches game film.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 12:11 AM

I've seen some people knock his instincts which I think is bullshit...I've seen every game he's played and I've never seen a problem there.

He's a coachable guy and I've seen him say in interviews he basically has no social life because of all the time he spends watching film trying to be the best he can be.

OnTheWarpath15
01-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Okay, something that hasnt come up much if Pioli is picked is will he trade down?

I have seen the Pats do it a few times, not always, but they are always about getting value for their picks. So if the value isnt there at #3, does he sell it to the highest bidder, even if the price is a little cheaper than normal?

Personally, I get a hardon when I think of Mays roaming on our side of the D.

Impossible to tell. New England has never really had to worry about need on draft day.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm just randomally guessing. He hasn't "declared" yet, and there's the matter of pro-days and workouts, etc.

I don't think he'd have bad workouts, he has pretty good speed for a QB, he's elusive and all that and his arm is a + arm there is nothing that would raise any flags.

bowener
01-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I've seen some people knock his instincts which I think is bullshit...I've seen every game he's played and I've never seen a problem there.

He's a coachable guy and I've seen him say in interviews he basically has no social life because of all the time he spends watching film trying to be the best he can be.

That is what you want top hear when you are drafting and spending a ton of money on a young man.

Impossible to tell. New England has never really had to worry about need on draft day.

Very, very good point.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Well New England dropped down last year for cap reasons they didn't really need a top 10 pick...but when they were building their team they rarely moved down.

They actually moved up for Ty Warren.

JohnnyV13
01-06-2009, 12:44 AM
the biggest knock on sanchez is lack of starts...he's had what...16 career starts? A lot of those one year wonders turn out to be busts.

Quesadilla Joe
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
the biggest knock on sanchez is lack of starts...he's had what...16 career starts? A lot of those one year wonders turn out to be busts.

He is only a junior too, aren't all of the QB's jr's? I doubt Sanchez enters the draft because of that. Leinart decided not to come out his junior year and he would have probably been the number 1 pick. You don't want to gamble on a JR QB... Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell were JR's and it doesn't look like Russell will amount to much.

Extra Point
01-06-2009, 01:01 AM
and it doesn't look like Russell will amount to much.

Good point!

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2009, 01:01 AM
He is only a junior too, aren't all of the QB's jr's? I doubt Sanchez enters the draft because of that. Leinart decided not to come out his junior year and he would have probably been the number 1 pick. You don't want to gamble on a JR QB... Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell were JR's and it doesn't look like Russell will amount to much.

If a franchise QB is there who's also the BPA one should never pass him up

Mecca
01-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Roethlisberger was a JR too....

Personally drafting a QB is just knowing it, you don't just pass on a guy cause he's a junior or you think he didn't start enough games.

If you have a feeling about someone you should go for it. Sanchez has shown more in 1 season than alot of guys do in 3.

melbar
01-06-2009, 01:22 AM
I hadn't really been overwhelmed by him before, and tonight didn't help his cause.

He'll be a workout warrior like Gholston was, and someone will fall in love with him because he has great workouts in a tee shirt and shorts.

I thought Gholston was a lock? A savior for the franchise lucky enough to draft him. What happened?

Can I mention according to some on the board Long was just an average LT that wouldnt make a difference to his team...:shake:

Quesadilla Joe
01-06-2009, 01:43 AM

Personally drafting a QB is just knowing it, you don't just pass on a guy cause he's a junior or you think he didn't start enough games.

If you have a feeling about someone you should go for it. Sanchez has shown more in 1 season than alot of guys do in 3.

I couldn't find out what year QB's left school before the 2003 draft.

But from the 2003 draft til now Alex Smith, Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, Rex Grossman, and Roethlisburger were all picked in the first round and all left after their Jr. season.

I know that all the Sr. QB's drafted in the first round are not locks but I have always heard that you don't mess with Jr. QB's in the first round.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 01:55 AM
I can give you other reasons than just being underclassman that those guys didn't work out....

Smith and Young were guys from spread offenses, Grossman wasn't from an NFL offense either, they all had other issues besides just being underclassmen.

Russell has issues just due to the team that picked him.

J Diddy
01-06-2009, 01:57 AM

sounds like scott mitchell

keg in kc
01-06-2009, 02:02 AM
My concern is, if Stafford is gone, and Bradford is there on 3rd, I sure hope that we trade out to get in the 10-15 range, where we HOPE that Sanchez will be avaiable. Hell, I'll go somewhere between 6-8, and reach him a little bit, if I have to.I think any trade down this year is a pipe-dream. There's a pretty decent chance this may end up being the last year for massive rookie contracts, so I don't see any way a team moving down doesn't get bent over and pounded raider-style. The teams at the top are all at a huge disadantage.

Mecca
01-06-2009, 02:04 AM
sounds like scott mitchell

You're just upset he made Penn States D look like swiss cheese.

noa
01-06-2009, 02:05 AM
I think any trade down this year is a pipe-dream. There's a pretty decent chance this may end up being the last year for massive rookie contracts, so I don't see any way a team moving down doesn't get bent over and pounded raider-style. The teams at the top are all at a huge disadantage.

That, and as its been explained to me, a team would have to give up a king's ransom to give us the right value for our pick.

J Diddy
01-06-2009, 02:13 AM
You're just upset he made Penn States D look like swiss cheese.

nah

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2009, 02:22 AM
WE TRADE LARRY JOHNSON FOR TERRELL SUGGS AND DRAFT MICHAEL OHER AND MAX UNGER

AustinChief
01-06-2009, 03:07 AM
I am a Texas fan and I am not sure about Orakpo... I don't think tonight's game says much either way.. he was decent when not being held...but "decent" and "solid" does not a top ten pick make....

I think he will be a "good" pick from 12-20 range and a great pick in the 20-40 range...

If we end up with Orakpo.. it better be with our SECOND pick.

Agian, not knocking the kid... just nothing has "wowed" me and I have watched every game he has played in...

bowener
01-06-2009, 03:59 AM
So, our #3 is worth a ton, so it is essentially improbable/impossible to trade down.
The top of the draft is weak in talent this year worthy of the #3 pick, and the money.
If Stafford is gone, say the Lions take him, and Bradford/Sanchez stay in for another year, is there a player or players in the NFL that are currently worth the #3 overall pick?
We might as well get the best value out of it, so if a player isn't worth this pick in the draft, is there one on a roster that we could pry away from a team if they fall in love with a kid they 'absolutely have to have'"
I am thinking a team like the Cowboys who have no 1st rounder might get an erection for some player or another, and maybe we could take a star from them, who, I dont know. Just getting bored at 4 am and want to throw some bullshit out there.

Chiefs=Champions
01-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Mmm I have to agree with all those who say Orakpo will be a solid pickup from the 15+ plus range.. Though i do think he played a pretty good game... Early on anyway..

Though now that Sanchez is coming out, i think the argument is moot...

bowener
01-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Mmm I have to agree with all those who say Orakpo will be a solid pickup from the 15+ plus range.. Though i do think he played a pretty good game... Early on anyway..

Though now that Sanchez is coming out, i think the argument is moot...

He declared?

Mecca
01-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Uh what, I'm pretty sure Sanchez hasn't decided yet.

beach tribe
01-06-2009, 06:52 AM
WE TRADE LARRY JOHNSON FOR TERRELL SUGGS AND DRAFT MICHAEL OHER AND MAX UNGER

I know your kidding, and trading LJ for a FA is pretty good.

beach tribe
01-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I thought Gholston was a lock? A savior for the franchise lucky enough to draft him. What happened?

Can I mention according to some on the board Long was just an average LT that wouldnt make a difference to his team...:shake:

I believe Hamas Jenkins was the "Ghloston is a God" leader.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I never thought Orakpo was worth a top 10 pick, but you shouldn't base your opinion off of a player on one game. "Ryan Clady looked bad against Hawaii, he'll never be good in the NFL."

SAUTO
01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I think any trade down this year is a pipe-dream. There's a pretty decent chance this may end up being the last year for massive rookie contracts, so I don't see any way a team moving down doesn't get bent over and pounded raider-style. The teams at the top are all at a huge disadantage.

no there isnt that chance, goodell said last week that NO change would take place until AFTER the next draft

Chief Chief
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Let's get that OSU dude who always smacked directly and late into QB McCoy's helmet!

YAAAH!!!

Chief Chief
01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Let's get that OSU dude who always smacked directly and late into QB McCoy's helmet!

YAAAH!!!

He'll be a force from that start of every game next year, putting fear immediately into QBs like Romo and E. Manning as well as racking up another concussion for Slothlessburger.

Again, I say: YAAAH!!!

Frankie
01-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Sorry if repost.
Sorry if I am lame.

My thoughts exactly. I watched the game mainly for him. The LT owned him all night.

Frankie
01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd say he's a black jared allen

He is not built like JA and doesn't rush in JA's style.

Frankie
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM

This.

Frankie
01-06-2009, 09:00 AM

I don't think Mecca meant to say let's draft Orakpo at LDE.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
He is not built like JA and doesn't rush in JA's style.

doesn't have the same explosion off the ball

Brock
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Can I mention that we got just as good a LT about 15 spots later?

Frankie
01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
After that you're stuck with taking an OT just to take best available athlete. Not my first choice.

That would not be the end of the world.

Frankie
01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
My concern is, if Stafford is gone, and Bradford is there on 3rd, I sure hope that we trade out to get in the 10-15 range, where we HOPE that Sanchez will be avaiable. Hell, I'll go somewhere between 6-8, and reach him a little bit, if I have to....

I don't regard Stafford as highly as you do. That said, I would love a trade down to the 7-9 area. There I would be satisfied with either Sanchez or Rey M. Trouble is trade downs are becoming more and more rare.

Demonpenz
01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
hopefully this will be our highest pick in awhile need to hit big on whoever we take. Taking a solid player would actually be a groaner

EyePod
01-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Monroe?

Oher?

Mays?

Michael Johnson and Aaron Curry seem to be top 5 worthy picks. I'd be fine with either of those. I think Maualuga is a stretch but I wouldn't freak. Also, Crabtree (but not for us though, too many other needs).

EyePod
01-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Free Agent RDE?

I repeat, Michael Johnson at LDE.

Demonpenz
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't freak with Smith or crab tree both are freaks and we aren't ready to compete tfor a title right now anyway. I know you don't pay RT 5 pick money, but it would be nice you sure up both sides of our line and have depth at left tackle.

Coogs
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
So let's say QB does not wind up being an option at #3 and Taylor mays does become an option. Do Morgan and Mays play the same position, or could they both wind up on the field as our safties? Morgan, Mays, Flowers, Carr, and Leggit sounds like one heck of a good secondary.

EyePod
01-06-2009, 09:34 AM
So let's say QB does not wind up being an option at #3 and Taylor mays does become an option. Do Morgan and Mays play the same position, or could they both wind up on the field as our safties? Morgan, Mays, Flowers, Carr, and Leggit sounds like one heck of a good secondary.

Also, I think Pollard is underutilized. I really wish we tried using him as a blitzer safety like Adrian Wilson

EyePod
01-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't freak with Smith or crab tree both are freaks and we aren't ready to compete tfor a title right now anyway. I know you don't pay RT 5 pick money, but it would be nice you sure up both sides of our line and have depth at left tackle.

The only thing that scares me about this is Levi Brown. Although he isn't a stud like smith and was called lazy before the draft.

Coogs
01-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Also, I think Pollard is underutilized. I really wish we tried using him as a blitzer safety like Adrian Wilson

Maybe, but all reports last off season were that Morgan was a complete stud. Injuries kind of slowed his progress this season. If he is what he is cracked up to be, and Mays is a #3 pick, there may not be much room left for a guy who has not really been all that consistant in his first three years on a very crappy defense.

alanm
01-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Selvie.

RINGLEADER
01-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Free Agent RDE?

We need two new starting DEs. The guys we have starting are nothing more than back-ups (on a good day).

I'd use Free Agency money to solve this problem. It's not a sure thing but it certainly is easily not to screw up.

And I agree that the draft doesn't really have a DE that warrants the #3 pick.

EyePod
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
We need two new starting DEs. The guys we have starting are nothing more than back-ups (on a good day).

I'd use Free Agency money to solve this problem. It's not a sure thing but it certainly is easily not to screw up.

And I agree that the draft doesn't really have a DE that warrants the #3 pick.

I repeat, Michael Johnson. And then a FA LDE is fine with me. I gotta go check the FA thread...

Mr. Laz
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Free Agent RDE?
please don't act like mecca actually knows what the fuck he's talking about ..... it only feeds his delusion.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Selvie.

in round 2 ..... sure

Demonpenz
01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I am not as down on pollard as most people. He had 4 or 5 of the biggest hits on defence. He needs to tackle better and learn you can blow people up and wrap at the same time (hell his signature football play in college show that) Pollard can be this teams in forcer if they don't have him doing 15 yard drops when he is already so far off the los

EyePod
01-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I am not as down on pollard as most people. He had 4 or 5 of the biggest hits on defence. He needs to tackle better and learn you can blow people up and wrap at the same time (hell his signature football play in college show that) Pollard can be this teams in forcer if they don't have him doing 15 yard drops when he is already so far off the los

Anyone that exploded Tom Brady and the Patriot's season is A-O-K in my book! We have to give him a chance just because of that. And his tackling has been so much better this season. He did lead our team in tackles (which says something about how shitty we are defensively, that our SS is our leader in tackles).

beach tribe
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
in round 2 ..... sure

I think that's our best bet.

beach tribe
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I've made up my mind.

If we can't snag Stafford or Sanchez, I want Taylor Mays. Guys like him just don't come around very often, and if you have the chance to take a freak like him you take it. I just don't see how he wouldn't be the BPA if the the QBs are unavailable. That should set us at Safety for the foreseeable future.

Selvie in the 2nd.

bowener
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I've made up my mind.

If we can't snag Stafford or Sanchez, I want Taylor Mays. Guys like him just don't come around very often, and if you have the chance to take a freak like him you take it. I just don't see how he wouldn't be the BPA if the the QBs are unavailable. That should set us at Safety for the foreseeable future.

Selvie in the 2nd.

This! The more you read and watch, the more you drool. It doesn't matter if our safety's are decent to good, he is head and shoulders waists above our's and most others in the league.

Depending on who our new D coach is, we could see some different coverage and D schemes. With a stud like Mays, his speed gives you the opportunity to do anything with him. I know little about the specifics of coverage, but I could see a smart coach finding a way to play 3 safety's on the field at a time. Mays' speed and coverage skills essentially make him a CB, so I could see us playing Page and Morgan as well as Mays on some passing or running downs. It would give us an added big hitter and speed/ball hawk type player.

If we pass on a QB, any, where would they fall to? The 9ers, the bears?

I am pretty hard on him, but I do admit that if we got some coaches in here with a fresh perspective I would trust their assessment of his skills. He may improve with new coaches as well, Gun and him seem to have some communication troubles from what some have said.

I still want to see him tried as a OLB backup, passing down role player though.

Mays plays FS, and Morgan plays SS. Mays could play any DB position though, basically.

I never thought Orakpo was worth a top 10 pick, but you shouldn't base your opinion off of a player on one game. "Ryan Clady looked bad against Hawaii, he'll never be good in the NFL."

I based mine off the whole year. He plays against spread O's that throw 65% of the time, so all he has to do is pin his ears back and pass rush every down. He doesn't flash any type of hands skills, just speed off the edge which will work in college. I also never hear him mentioned or see him in games as a run stopper. Again, he is a great athlete, but nowhere deserving of the #3 pick. I would be disappointed with him as a draft pick since we could get the same type of production in the 2nd round.

JohnnyV13
01-07-2009, 01:18 AM

Mecca, FB outsiders did an analysis and showed that the two best predictors of NFL success for high round quarterbacks were 1) no. of starts (over 30) and 2) completion percentage (over 60).

High round qbs with these attributes succeeded as NFL starters around 70 percent of the time. Note that Brodie Croyle was picked as a BUST by this analysis (as well as Vince Young. FO predicted success for Cutler and Leinart).

Mecca
01-07-2009, 01:32 AM
The honest truth is there is no sure fire predictor, you can try to play the odds but right now a guy just coming from a pro style offense increases his odds over 95% of the rest of the college QB's.

cmh6476
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
thats why I wouldnt care if we took crabtree, it seems to me he easily seperates himself from the competition at his position compared tot he rest of his class.

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Pollard reminds me of an enforcer-hard hitter in hockey, you don't have him playing to poke check or score, you have him in there to kill people. If you watch the games this year he was all over the field trying to get kill shots on people, something the chiefs have lacked since westley had one good year.

milkman
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM

The Dolphins game this year served as a good illlustration of what Jake Long is.

He just blows people up as a run blocker.

But against a rookie speed rushing DE (Chris Long) that hasn't learned the moves to compliment that speed, Jake Long struggled to contain Chris Long's speed around the edge.

Jake Long looked like he was running in mud against Chris Long's speed in one on one matchups.

The Dolphins had to send a RB or TE to chip on Chris Long to keep him from getting the edge constantly.

On those few plays when they didn't, Chris Long got around the edge and forced Pennington to throw the ball away, and in one instance, nearly throw a pick.

Jake Long simply doesn't have the foot speed to ever be an elite pass protector.