PDA

View Full Version : Football Big 10 sucks

jidar
01-06-2009, 09:06 AM
It starts out overrated then pad stats with the MAC so their teams are consistently overrated. No surprised that they're 1-6 in Bowls and MAC is 0-4

The highlight of the Big 10 post season was OSU giving Texas a good game because Texas spent the first three quarters asleep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls

Conferences W-L
Pac-10 5-0
SEC 5-2
Big 12 4-2
Big East 4-2
C-USA 3-2
Mountain West 3-2
Sun Belt 1-1
ACC 4-6
WAC 1-4
Big Ten 1-6
MAC 0-4

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
It starts out overrated then pad stats with the MAC so their teams are consistently overrated. No surprised that they're 1-6 in Bowls and MAC is 0-4

The highlight of the Big 10 post season was OSU giving Texas a good game because Texas spent the first three quarters asleep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls

Conferences W-L
Pac-10 5-0
SEC 5-2
Big 12 4-2
Big East 4-2
C-USA 3-2
Mountain West 3-2
Sun Belt 1-1
ACC 4-6
WAC 1-4
Big Ten 1-6
MAC 0-4

They're not overrated because they're not rated. Even Big 10 fans know they're in a slump.

I don't think this conference will be a powerhouse for a while. But Illinois, Michigan, and Michigan State all have good coaches (Zook, Dantonio, Rodriguez) who are still new and haven't fully built their image of a team yet, and (sad to say), but PSU will continue to be competitive but never as competitive as they could be as long as Paterno continues to be in limbo. It's hard to recruit players to play for a coach when you don't know if he'll be there 2 years from now. We'll see about OSU--they definitely need some shake-up in their coaching staff.

I think in 2-3 years, this will be a competitive conference. Not dominant, but one with a bunch of fairly solid teams.

El Jefe
01-06-2009, 09:40 AM
They're not overrated because they're not rated. Even Big 10 fans know they're in a slump.

I don't think this conference will be a powerhouse for a while. But Illinois, Michigan, and Michigan State all have good coaches (Zook, Dantonio, Rodriguez) who are still new and haven't fully built their image of a team yet, and (sad to say), but PSU will continue to be competitive but never as competitive as they could be as long as Paterno continues to be in limbo. It's hard to recruit players to play for a coach when you don't know if he'll be there 2 years from now. We'll see about OSU--they definitely need some shake-up in their coaching staff.

I think in 2-3 years, this will be a competitive conference. Not dominant, but one with a bunch of fairly solid teams.

Your exactly correct. I think it's hilarious when all these people start hopping on this bandwagon of "The Big 10 is terrible". Tell me something I don't know, the Big 10 has been down for a few years now, and I don't know why 5,000 people act like Big 10 fans don't know that, or don't believe that the Conference is bad. It's like saying the Chiefs were a bad team, everyone knows that.

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM

:spock:

PSU went from 17 after they beat Oregon State to #3 because of their Big 10 schedule, and then they received 6 first place votes because they beat Ohio State in an exciting 13-6 game that wouldn't have had a touchdown scored if it wasn't for a fumble and mere 38 yard drive.

OSU split the first place votes in the preseason with Georgia, embarrassed themselves against USC and PSU; ended up with maybe one impressive win and 2 losses, and STILL got the BCS at-large over an undefeated Boise State, who had the same number of impressive wins and 2 fewer embarrassments.

MSU did NOTHING this season, lost to OSU and PSU by a combined 94-25, and was still ranked all season.

It's not that we're acting like Big 10 fans don't know the Big 10 sucks, we would just like someone to tell the NCAA so we don't have to watch any Big 10 schools in bowl games until they catch up with the other BCS conferences. Last night was the most impressed I've been with a Big 10 school in a while, even if they shouldn't have been there in the first place. I anxiously await 2 more Big 10 teams in the BCS next year. :banghead:

I don't know why 5,000 people act like Big 10 fans don't know that

Perhaps if you quit predicting OSU wins, we'll quit reminding you that they suck? :shrug:

Mizzou_8541
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM

PSU went from 17 after they beat Oregon State to #3 because of their Big 10 schedule, and then they received 6 first place votes because they beat Ohio State in an exciting 13-6 game that wouldn't have had a touchdown scored if it wasn't for a fumble and mere 38 yard drive.

OSU split the first place votes in the preseason with Georgia, embarrassed themselves against USC and PSU; ended up with maybe one impressive win and 2 losses, and STILL got the BCS at-large over an undefeated Boise State, who had the same number of impressive wins and 2 fewer embarrassments.

MSU did NOTHING this season, lost to OSU and PSU by a combined 94-25, and was still ranked all season.

It's not that we're acting like Big 10 fans don't know the Big 10 sucks, we would just like someone to tell the NCAA so we don't have to watch any Big 10 schools in bowl games until they catch up with the other BCS conferences. Last night was the most impressed I've been with a Big 10 school in a while, even if they shouldn't have been there in the first place. I anxiously await 2 more Big 10 teams in the BCS next year. :banghead:

Perhaps if you quit predicting OSU wins, we'll quit reminding you that they suck? :shrug:

Well said Bearcat. Although, I feel I must correct you on something. Please ensure that in the future you add the "t" to the OSU. That omission is SUPER offensive...:rolleyes:

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 10:24 AM
It should be noted that the 5 Pac-10 wins came against:

BYU
Miami
Ok State
Pitt
Penn St

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Agree on the rankings.

Unfortunately, as for the BCS Bowls, Penn State is out of the equation--the Rose Bowl has always been a Pac-10/Big-10 game, so a Big-10 team will always be in that bowl whether people like it or not. OSU should not have been in the Fiesta Bowl, but then, let's be honest... OSU sells tickets, Boise State does not. It's unfortunate that that's how it's run, but it is what it is. I've been a huge proponent of a playoff system but realize that that (as well as keeping teams like OSU out of the BCS Bowls) won't happen as long as the system is driven by money.

Frosty
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM

BYU
Miami
Ok State
Pitt
Penn St

It should also be noted that 4 of the 5 were ranked in the top 20.

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Well said Bearcat. Although, I feel I must correct you on something. Please ensure that in the future you add the "t" to the OSU. That omission is SUPER offensive...:rolleyes:

I was talking about Ohio State, not The Oklahoma State.

:D

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Agree on the rankings.

Unfortunately, as for the BCS Bowls, Penn State is out of the equation--the Rose Bowl has always been a Pac-10/Big-10 game, so a Big-10 team will always be in that bowl whether people like it or not. OSU should not have been in the Fiesta Bowl, but then, let's be honest... OSU sells tickets, Boise State does not. It's unfortunate that that's how it's run, but it is what it is. I've been a huge proponent of a playoff system but realize that that (as well as keeping teams like OSU out of the BCS Bowls) won't happen as long as the system is driven by money.

I don't get the 'driven by money' part... a lot of people say that as a reason why we'll never see a playoff, but I don't see what revenue has to do with the system. They can keep all 73 bowls (er, 30-something) and still have a playoff... depending on the format, they could have a regional and then the semi-finals at the now-BCS bowls and then a Championship game, or whatever.... it would be at least the same amount of money, same payouts, etc; but with a lot more excitement and an actual NC that's determined on the field.

The only difference is when OSU goes home with money in their pockets and tails between their legs, they'll have something to watch the following weekend.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't get the 'driven by money' part... a lot of people say that as a reason why we'll never see a playoff, but I don't see what revenue has to do with the system. They can keep all 73 bowls (er, 30-something) and still have a playoff... depending on the format, they could have a regional and then the semi-finals at the now-BCS bowls and then a Championship game, or whatever.... it would be at least the same amount of money, same payouts, etc; but with a lot more excitement and an actual NC that's determined on the field.

The only difference is when OSU goes home with money in their pockets and tails between their legs, they'll have something to watch the following weekend.

I'm not 100% clear on the reason why (as I've heard this argument a lot too), so I'd be curious to hear other people's insight on this.

My best guess (and I think it's a pretty good one) is that Bowl Game committees want to know ASAP who will be playing in their bowls. I'm sure it makes an enormous difference in terms of what sponsors they land and also how much pre-game buzz they can generate. That translates into a LOT of money. Between asking the Bowl Committee to make a lot more last minute preparations and forcing sponsors and invitees to commit in a much shorter time frame, I'm sure there's a lot of money to be lost.

I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say. That's only my best guess.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
It should also be noted that 4 of the 5 were ranked in the top 20.

It should also be noted that none were from the SEC and:

Miami was 8th in the weak ACC
BYU was 3rd in the Mountain West and doesn't have a single quality victory
Ok State was 5th in the Big XII
Pitt was 2nd in the weak Big East
Penn State is from the big 10.. enough said.

SCTrojan
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM

BYU
Miami
Ok State
Pitt
Penn St

Then it should be noted that the SEC wins were against:

Boston College - 2nd in their ACC Division
Georgia Tech - 2nd in their ACC Division
Michigan State - 3rd in Big 10
Texas Tech - Three way tie for Big 12 South lead
East Carolina - Conference USA Division champ

Along with losses to:

Iowa - 4th in Big 10
Utah - Mountain West champ

Bugeater
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Pretty much any school in a cold weather climate is screwed these days, they can't recruit the speed they need to be able to compete on a national level. Why would any kid in SoCal, Texas or Florida want to go to Ann Arbor, Columbus, or even Lincoln these days? There's no reason for them to, in this age of parity they can stay closer to home and still compete.

TEX
01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Your exactly correct. I think it's hilarious when all these people start hopping on this bandwagon of "The Big 10 is terrible". Tell me something I don't know, the Big 10 has been down for a few years now, and I don't know why 5,000 people act like Big 10 fans don't know that, or don't believe that the Conference is bad. It's like saying the Chiefs were a bad team, everyone knows that.

I think it's even more hilarious when fans such as yourself try and play it both ways.

BWillie
01-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Big 10 isn't as bad as people think, but yes, they are bad. Northwestern and Ohio State had good showings against teams that were supposed to blow them out of the building.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Then it should be noted that the SEC wins were against:

Boston College - 2nd in their ACC Division
Georgia Tech - 2nd in their ACC Division
Michigan State - 3rd in Big 10
Texas Tech - Three way tie for Big 12 South lead
East Carolina - Conference USA Division champ

Along with losses to:

Iowa - 4th in Big 10
Utah - Mountain West champ

BC, GT > Miami
TTU > Ok State
Utah > BYU

PSU > MSU

Iowa beat South Carolina who finished 6th in the SEC.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Big 10 isn't as bad as people think, but yes, they are bad. Northwestern and Ohio State had good showings against teams that were supposed to blow them out of the building.

This.

SCTrojan
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
BC, GT > Miami
TTU > Ok State
Utah > BYU

PSU > MSU

Iowa beat South Carolina who finished 6th in the SEC.

No argument from me on this - although there's no mention of East Carolina.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Agree on the rankings.

Do people honestly believe that Boise St. would have beat Texas last night. Once again, Boise played nobody this year. I don't remember exactly (I posted it in another forum) but I believe that Boise St's opponents, had a 35% winning percentage. I'm not saying OSU is great, but I believe they would beat Boise St. easily. I understand why people pick on OSU and the big 10 in general, but OSU lost to argueably the best team in the country (USC-Without Wells or Pryor. Sorry, Boeckman sh*t the bed in that game), a pretty solid team in Penn St (will finish in the top 10) and Texas (Will finish in the top 5. So they lost to one really good team in a blowout and 2 pretty good teams, that they were defeating for the majority of the game.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 11:54 AM
No argument from me on this - although there's no mention of East Carolina.

It's difficult to compare them to another team. They also played and lost to Kentucky - a weak SEC team. Although East Carolina did beat Va Tech & West Va.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Do people honestly believe that Boise St. would have beat Texas last night. Once again, Boise played nobody this year. I don't remember exactly (I posted it in another forum) but I believe that Boise St's opponents, had a 35% winning percentage. I'm not saying OSU is great, but I believe they would beat Boise St. easily. I understand why people pick on OSU and the big 10 in general, but OSU lost to argueably the best team in the country (USC-Without Wells or Pryor. Sorry, Boeckman sh*t the bed in that game), a pretty solid team in Penn St (will finish in the top 10) and Texas (Will finish in the top 5. So they lost to one really good team in a blowout and 2 pretty good teams, that they were defeating for the majority of the game.

I just used them as an example because they were arguably a borderline team. I'm a Buckeye fan, but I recognize that they had an extremely weak schedule and no big wins under their belt. Even the supposedly ranked teams they beat like Michigan State were far from impressive. I thought they were given far too good of a bowl game for their performance.

I just don't think they belonged in that kind of a bowl, if we go by season accomplishments and not on the program. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people will take out of this game that OSU can't win the big game, but the truth is, this wasn't their year to be in that kind of a big game. Just my opinion.

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Boise State beat Oregon, who beat tOklahoma State University in their bowl game, and also beat tOregon State University. IMO, that win is at least as impressive as anything Ohio State did before last night.

I don't care all that much about overall schedule, creampuff wins, or even not showing up for a creampuff.... it's about the one or two big tests each season. BSU had one and passed. Ohio State had 2 and failed both.

vailpass
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Coach Kirk Ferentz and the mighty Iowa Hawkeyes did not suck this year. The team I saw dismantle the lowly Spurrier SC Cocks was a solid team.I'm not just saying that because I still smelled like stripper juice from the night before either.
Tampa is a great town.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Boise State beat Oregon, who beat tOklahoma State University in their bowl game, and also beat tOregon State University. IMO, that win is at least as impressive as anything Ohio State did before last night.

I don't care all that much about overall schedule, creampuff wins, or even not showing up for a creampuff.... it's about the one or two big tests each season. BSU had one and passed. Ohio State had 2 and failed both.

I'd say both PSU and USC are leaps and bounds better than Oregon. Just my 2 cents. And I don't know if Oregon wins that game, if Oklahoma St.'s star receiver doesn't get injured.

OtisJohnson
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
So let me get this straight ..... Texas beats OU and was ranked 3rd , then barely squeaks by an OSU team (that got beat at home by Penn State) in the closing seconds . Meanwhile Texas Tech which beat Texas gets beat by a 4 loss SEC team . Ou is yet to play Florida so the jury is still out . The #4 Big 12 team MU wins in OT against the #5 Big 10 team (who had the game won and beat themselves ) and the #5 Big 12 team gets beat by Oregon . Remind me again why you consider the Big 12 an "elite" conference :rolleyes:...... Would be interesting also to see the warm weather "speed" teams go into the Horseshoe at Columbus or Beaver Stadium in State College in January and play in the sleet :evil: ......

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
So let me get this straight ..... Texas beats OU and was ranked 3rd , then barely squeaks by an OSU team (that got beat at home by Penn State) in the closing seconds . Meanwhile Texas Tech which beat Texas gets beat by a 4 loss SEC team . Ou is yet to play Florida so the jury is still out . The #4 Big 12 team MU wins in OT against the #5 Big 10 team (who had the game won and beat themselves ) and the #5 Big 12 team gets beat by Oregon . Remind me again why you consider the Big 12 an "elite" conference :rolleyes:...... Would be interesting also to see the warm weather "speed" teams go into the Horseshoe at Columbus or Beaver Stadium in State College in January and play in the sleet :evil: ......

Yes, I would love to see that.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Would be interesting also to see the warm weather "speed" teams go into the Horseshoe at Columbus or Beaver Stadium in State College in January and play in the sleet :evil: ......

Did you see the Florida/Florida State game? While it wasn't freezing or snowing, it was a monsoon that neutralized a lot of the speed on the field.

Bearcat
01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd say both PSU and USC are leaps and bounds better than Oregon. Just my 2 cents. And I don't know if Oregon wins that game, if Oklahoma St.'s star receiver doesn't get injured.

USC is because they beat Oregon 44-10. PSU and Oregon both demolished Oregon State, but I'm not really into cherry-picking games, because there are so many variables... PSU/tOSU played very early in the season, Oregon/tOSU is obviously a rivalry, etc. I'm not so sure PSU is leaps and bounds better than Oregon, but I didn't watch either team all that much.

I didn't watch the game, but Bryant still ended up with 13 catches for 167... and Oregon had 565 yards and 300 yards rushing, so it might not have mattered of OSU kept scoring, because they couldn't stop Oregon.

Eh, I don't think BSU would have won either, but I think they would have had about the same chance as Ohio State.

It would have been great to see how a playoff would have gone, especially since Utah would be advancing to perhaps play USC or Texas... :(

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
USC is because they beat Oregon 44-10. PSU and Oregon both demolished Oregon State, but I'm not really into cherry-picking games, because there are so many variables... PSU/tOSU played very early in the season, Oregon/tOSU is obviously a rivalry, etc. I'm not so sure PSU is leaps and bounds better than Oregon, but I didn't watch either team all that much.

I didn't watch the game, but Bryant still ended up with 13 catches for 167... and Oregon had 565 yards and 300 yards rushing, so it might not have mattered of OSU kept scoring, because they couldn't stop Oregon.

Eh, I don't think BSU would have won either, but I think they would have had about the same chance as Ohio State.

It would have been great to see how a playoff would have gone, especially since Utah would be advancing to perhaps play USC or Texas... :(

I agree, I think all fans want some sort of playoff.

Frosty
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
PSU and Oregon both demolished Oregon State

Man, we sucked against the spread this year for some reason (lost to Utah too, on a last second FG).:cuss:

jidar
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
#22 Ball State got crushed by unranked Tulsa 45-13.
So that makes the Big 10 and the MAC a combined 1-10 in bowl games this year.

Once again it just serves to illustrate the point.
The Big 10 starts out overrated in the BCS and that leads to the MAC being overrated as well since the Big 10 uses the MAC to pad stats.

apologies to jwhit, whom I'm sure realizes the truth.

BWillie
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Coach Kirk Ferentz and the mighty Iowa Hawkeyes did not suck this year. The team I saw dismantle the lowly Spurrier SC Cocks was a solid team.I'm not just saying that because I still smelled like stripper juice from the night before either.
Tampa is a great town.

Iowa is probably the best 4 loss team in the country this year. They lost four games by like 9 points total, and usually would lose on a last second field goal or when they tried to go for it against Michigan State instead of kicking a field goal. That one was strange.

DaKCMan AP
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Iowa is probably the best 4 loss team in the country this year. They lost four games by like 9 points total, and usually would lose on a last second field goal or when they tried to go for it against Michigan State instead of kicking a field goal. That one was strange.

Disagree. I'll take Ole Miss over Iowa.