PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2 interviews with Scott Pioli

Zouk
01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I found these interviews interesting. He comes off as a smart and funny guy - certainly not as a paranoid robot like Belichick. And it's so clear he understands all the little things of putting a roster together - talking about keeping a mid-30's below average DE named Anthony Pleasant around because of his special leadership for example. This guy would be a great GM.

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/pioli/07radio0729.htm

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/pioli/07radio0327.htm

Amnorix
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Actually, Belichick is funny when he's not in front of a crowd of reporters. He's a weird little man, to be honest.

But yes, Pioli is smart, outgoing and funny. Very much so.

Zouk
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought there was a lot of humility there that I like too. Some people think the Patriots are on another planet in terms of how they run a football team, when they're really not. They're not the only smart people in the NFL, and Pioli acknowledges that here and in other things I've read too.

Just comes across very likeable.

Discuss Thrower
01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Actually, Belichick is funny when he's not in front of a crowd of reporters. He's a weird little man, to be honest.

But yes, Pioli is smart, outgoing and funny. Very much so.

You see Bellichick and you think "little"?

Warrior5
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for posting these, Zouk.

I really hope he's the next GM, but I gotta be honest... I'm not too confident Hunt will land Pioli.

It's not that I think Hunt won't pony up the $, it's that Pioli may just want to stay in NE.

TEX
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for posting these, Zouk.

I really hope he's the next GM, but I gotta be honest... I'm not too confident Hunt will land Pioli.

It's not that I think Hunt won't pony up the $, it's that Pioli may just want to stay in NE.

I think he'll want to stay in New england because it will be all about the money with Clark. It was this year with other decisions.

TEX
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
The players said 'Well you know what, this is a good enough deal, I don't need to be a pig, I'll jump in.' So it wasn't really a change in philosophy, it was just more a change in the timing based on what the players wanted to do, as well.

That was pretty funny. Do ya think Carl called John Tait and Jarred Allen "PIGS"? :doh!:

the Talking Can
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I found these interviews interesting. He comes off as a smart and funny guy - certainly not as a paranoid robot like Belichick. And it's so clear he understands all the little things of putting a roster together - talking about keeping a mid-30's below average DE named Anthony Pleasant around because of his special leadership for example. This guy would be a great GM.

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/pioli/07radio0729.htm

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/pioli/07radio0327.htm

thanks...he does come across as very sharp...i'd be thrilled with this guy

beach tribe
01-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I really hope we land this guy.

DeezNutz
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Dayton Moore and Pioli possibly both holding rank at the sports complex? Nice.

bowener
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I am sad there has been no news after his interview yesterday. That probably isnt good? Somebody please give me an emotion to feel.

Detoxing
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I am sad there has been no news after his interview yesterday. That probably isnt good? Somebody please give me an emotion to feel.

Be mad. Be very mad

Woodrow Call
01-06-2009, 02:41 PM

If this is true....

I saw on ESPN this afternoon that Clark is interview Ray from San Diego in the next day or two down in Dallas.

....then you can either me mad that Clark didn't stop his search with Pioli or you can be happy that Clark is interviewing more than one man in hopes of getting the right one. It's your call.

sparkky
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Somebody please give me an emotion to feel.

is hope or patience an emotion? probably not I guess.
I would think he definitely would want/need to consult with his wife and/or family before making a move like this.
might even want to make a few quick calls to see what coaches he likes would be willing to make the jump too.

we all want something to happen "NOW!! TODAY DAMMIT!!" but I suspect it will be a few days minimum before we get an answer or even a clue.

ChiefsCountry
01-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Dayton Moore and Pioli possibly both holding rank at the sports complex? Nice.

It would be the first time Wichita was good for something.

Warrior5
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
There's a 50% chance that we'll know by Friday if there's a 50% chance that Pioli will be the next GM...

EyePod
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
You see Bellichick and you think "little"?

So after seeing this, I searched online for his height just to see if he is actually little.

Here's what yahoo answers had to say:

Question:

What is Bill Belichick's height and weight?

Answers:

"it doesn't matter, i'm just surprised that they can stack ugly that high"

"that's hard to answer. belicheck's head is swelling faster than barry bonds. whatever he is this week, next week his head will have grown by another inch and 15 pounds..."

"Probably about 2 feet tall.. I think he's a troll in disguise.. He has to wear that hoodie all the time, to hide the fact that he's really a troll.."

And the winner by votes on yahoo answers:

"Bill Belichick's response: That's not a question about the Jets. Only questions about the Jets please."

Those are some quality freaking answers! Were any of those from CP users?

EyePod
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
is hope or patience an emotion? probably not I guess.
I would think he definitely would want/need to consult with his wife and/or family before making a move like this.
might even want to make a few quick calls to see what coaches he likes would be willing to make the jump too.

we all want something to happen "NOW!! TODAY DAMMIT!!" but I suspect it will be a few days minimum before we get an answer or even a clue.

Hope.... that's a shitty feeling around here. It's like my friend (he's a Cardinal fan BTW) always said, the best days of the NFL season are the NFL Draft days. He still can't wait for the draft to happen because it's been ingrained into him that his team will fail, and he'll have hope right after the draft.

I hope we don't get stuck with hope as our best emotion for the next few years....

BigChiefFan
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Hope.... that's a shitty feeling around here. It's like my friend (he's a Cardinal fan BTW) always said, the best days of the NFL season are the NFL Draft days. He still can't wait for the draft to happen because it's been ingrained into him that his team will fail, and he'll have hope right after the draft.

I hope we don't get stuck with hope as our best emotion for the next few years....
The draft day countdown is at the top of the Chiefs website.:D

Darth CarlSatan
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM

ZING! LMAO

Mecca
01-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Aren't they good for serial killers?

Darth CarlSatan
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Aren't they good for serial killers?

They're the official stop-gap for tornadoes, the last line of defense before somewhere important might get damaged.

Danman
01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I liked this. Scott Pioli on having players over 30 on the squad. "We like having guys like that around too, though. We have a lot of respect for the players that are on our roster that are coming from other teams that are older players." . . . "Those players bring value to a football team. And it's not necessarily always on the field. It's not a physical thing. It's a professionalism, it's a level of guys that know how to prepare, who have been through an NFL season. Here's what we look for in those guys: there are a lot of players that can lead, and there are certain leaders and veteran players that you look for that are selfless leaders."

And that's how Herm failed. Too many rookies and not enough selfless leaders to show them how to act.

Dylan
01-07-2009, 01:34 AM
From what Doug Tucker is reporting, I get the sense that Clark Hunt spoke with Scott Pioli on Monday.

Doug is the lead sports writer for Associated Press. His coverage is widely used on national and international news wire. Doug loves writing about the Chiefs. He gets the word out. I believe Doug is from Kansas City.

AP serves 1,700 newspapers worldwide. Someone in the forum posted an article from IHT (International Herald Tribune). If you visit, do a search on the Kansas City Chiefs. It's funny.

IHT is owned by The New York Times. The Times sells IHT stories including their own to all the major foreign news services. I'll bet half the population jumped for joy the day Carl Peterson got dumped.

Oh sorry, here's what Doug said: January 5th:

According to two people close to the situation, Hunt was to speak on Monday with Scott Pioli, the vice president for player personnel of the New England Patriots, who is also being courted by Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner.

Jonathan Kraft, son of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, is a close friend of Hunt, and could be in position to provide extra insight into Pioli. But Pioli is not alone on the list. Hunt is certain to be patient and thorough, and probably is going to be on the lookout for someone in his own age group.

Chiefs fans don't know a great deal about the man who has taken charge of their team's destiny. Much like his father, Clark Hunt does not live in Kansas City and tends to shun attention more than crave it.

Here's the link. He's a great writer:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20090106-0110-fbn-chiefs-hunt-search.html

hope it makes sense -- i got to go to bed.

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2009, 02:36 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOaGkPXn9LQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOaGkPXn9LQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ZootedGranny
01-07-2009, 03:08 AM
His use of crunchy peanut butter explains so much.

Amnorix
01-07-2009, 07:37 AM
So after seeing this, I searched online for his height just to see if he is actually little.

Here's what yahoo answers had to say:

Question:

What is Bill Belichick's height and weight?

Answers:

"it doesn't matter, i'm just surprised that they can stack ugly that high"

"that's hard to answer. belicheck's head is swelling faster than barry bonds. whatever he is this week, next week his head will have grown by another inch and 15 pounds..."

"Probably about 2 feet tall.. I think he's a troll in disguise.. He has to wear that hoodie all the time, to hide the fact that he's really a troll.."

And the winner by votes on yahoo answers:

"Bill Belichick's response: That's not a question about the Jets. Only questions about the Jets please."

Those are some quality freaking answers! Were any of those from CP users?

Good stuff. ROFL

He can't possibly be 6 feet tall. I'm thinking 5'10", at best, which isn't short, but often I see him standing next to his players looking like this little runt.

There was great footage of him at training camp one year really bitching out his entire offensive line, in full pads. Pretty funny to see this little guy taking it to 8 behemoths standing around him. :D