PDA

View Full Version : Life WWYD?

Micjones
01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
So you win a pair of tickets to see the Jayhawks play at the Fieldhouse.
Your first choice cancels on you and you wind up taking another friend to the game.

10 minutes into the contest your shorter friend is having trouble seeing.
They ask to switch seats with you. You oblige.

Another 20 minutes goes by and the booth announcer calls the number of the seat you vacated, for your pal, as the winner of a chance to take home $10,000 by hitting three free throws.

Your tag-along walks onto the court and sinks the three shots.

Are you entitled to a portion of their winnings?
If so, why?

Short Leash Hootie
01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Hell yes.

And $5000...50/50

If your tag-along doesn't split that, he's a piece of shit you shouldn't be associating with.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Hell yes.

And $5000...50/50

If your tag-along doesn't split that, he's a piece of shit you shouldn't be associating with.

Does the fact that you may not have hit those free throws, yourself, come into play?

Short Leash Hootie
01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Does the fact that you may not have hit those free throws, yourself, come into play?

Nope.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Nope.

Interesting.

So you believe that simply by virtue of having given them the tickets that they owe you a portion of their winnings. And not just a portion, but 50%?

Short Leash Hootie
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Interesting.

So you believe that simply by virtue of having given them the tickets that they owe you a portion of their winnings. And not just a portion, but 50%?

I know that, any one of my friends, if given this circumstance, is splitting their winnings 50/50...

You invited the guy, you switched seats with the guy, the guy pays you back by sinking 3 clutch free throws...$5000/$5000

I know that, 100% every time, if I'm the dude that won the 10K I am splitting that with the guy who was nice enough to take me to the game...without him even asking or anything...I hand him the $5000 and say "thanks pal."

pr_capone
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I cannot give you an answer without further information.

Are you a notoriously bad shot?

Did the short friend offer to let you take the shots since it was your seat to begin with?

Did the short friend offer to let you take the shots since they were your tickets to begin with?

If so, then did you make an agreement before hand to split the winnings if all the shots were made?

-----------

If the short friend did not even offer you the opportunity to take the shots... then your short friend is a piece of shit.

If he/she did offer and you declined without coming to some sort of agreement on splitting the winnings, then you should only hope that they are generous enough to split the proceeds with you.

But... if they did not split it with you in some way shape or form, regardless of any previous discussion, I would still label them a piece of shit because they would have never had the opportunity to win that cash if it had not been for you.

OnTheWarpath58
01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I've been to one NBA game in my life, while on a business trip to the Bay Area. Decided to go to a Clippers/Lakers game by myself.

Anyway, dude sitting next to me hits a half-court shot at the end of the 1st quarter, won $25K, and bought beer/food for the entire row - for the rest of the game.

Thought that was cool.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I know that, any one of my friends, if given this circumstance, is splitting their winnings 50/50...

You invited the guy, you switched seats with the guy, the guy pays you back by sinking 3 clutch free throws...$5000/$5000

I know that, 100% every time, if I'm the dude that won the 10K I am splitting that with the guy who was nice enough to take me to the game...without him even asking or anything...I hand him the $5000 and say "thanks pal."

Let's say it wasn't someone you were so closely attached to.
Say it was a co-worker...

Short Leash Hootie
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Let's say it wasn't someone you were so closely attached to.
Say it was a co-worker...

I'm doing it no matter what...

Someone takes you to the game and gives you their seat and it results in you winning $10K...I think it's only right to share that.

Of course, outside of this board, I'm a pretty generous person so who knows what the majority thinks...but I'm giving half every time.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I cannot give you an answer without further information.

Are you a notoriously bad shot?

Did the short friend offer to let you take the shots since it was your seat to begin with?

Did the short friend offer to let you take the shots since they were your tickets to begin with?

If so, then did you make an agreement before hand to split the winnings if all the shots were made?

-----------

If the short friend did not even offer you the opportunity to take the shots... then your short friend is a piece of shit.

If he/she did offer and you declined without coming to some sort of agreement on splitting the winnings, then you should only hope that they are generous enough to split the proceeds with you.

But... if they did not split it with you in some way shape or form, regardless of any previous discussion, I would still label them a piece of shit because they would have never had the opportunity to win that cash if it had not been for you.

Let us say, for argument's sake, that your friend couldn't defer the shots at the charity stripe for your benefit.

Pestilence
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
He owes you but I don't think I'd go with half.

Anywhere between 25-30% of the winnings is a decent amount. It was his talent that won the money.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm doing it no matter what...

Someone takes you to the game and gives you their seat and it results in you winning $10K...I think it's only right to share that.

Of course, outside of this board, I'm a pretty generous person so who knows what the majority thinks...but I'm giving half every time.

You're a great guy then Hootie.
I admire that in you.

I've posed this question to several people and many of them only do so on certain conditions.

Some believe that nothing is owed to the ticket-giver because that person may not have been able to make those shots.

Some believe that something is owed to the ticket-giver, but not necessarily 50%.

Some believe nothing is owed to the ticket-giver at all because the seat-swap-requester had no foreknowledge that they'd be given such an opportunity.

Johnny Vegas
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I would not ask him for any of the money. I wouldn't want them bugging me for half the $10K.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
He owes you but I don't think I'd go with half.

Anywhere between 25-30% of the winnings is a decent amount. It was his talent that won the money.

This is precisely what I was alluding to earlier.
Say the original-seatholder has no athletic ability whatsoever and had no chance at making the free throws him or herself?

Rigodan
Let us say, for argument's sake, that your friend couldn't defer the shots at the charity stripe for your benefit.

I can't see any circumstances where the money shouldn't be split 50/50.

Pestilence
I would not ask him for any of the money. I wouldn't want them bugging me for half the $10K.

I wouldn't ask him for any of the money. I would just see what he does with it after he wins it. If he doesn't offer you anything...then you know what kind of friend he is.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't ask him for any of the money. I would just see what he does with it after he wins it. If he doesn't offer you anything...then you know what kind of friend he is.

Is this an moral issue in your mind?
Would keeping all of the winnings constitute that person being selfish and/or thoughtless?

Johnny Vegas

exactly!

OnTheWarpath58
I'd definitely split it with the guy that took me to the game.

Without that ticket, regardless of seat number/section, there is ZERO chance I'd get that opportunity.

Short Leash Hootie
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Hmm...

That's weird. I will probably pose this same scenario to my friends later on and see what they think...

I guess the only way I wouldn't split was if some random guy outside the stadium offered me a free ticket...and then if I switched seats with him and proceeded to win $10K...If I didn't split it I'd definitely not return to that seat...

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd definitely split it with the guy that took me to the game.

Without that ticket, regardless of seat number/section, there is ZERO chance I'd get that opportunity.

Does the fact that the tickets were free to the ticket-giver, to begin with, come into play?

A part of me thinks there's a difference between giving a ticket away that you paid for versus one that you were given yourself.

Short Leash Hootie
01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Would keeping all of the winnings constitute that person being selfish and/or thoughtless?

I think so.

I'd be thrilled with a free $5000 and I'd be happy knowing I returned a favor to someone nice enough to provide me with a free ticket to the game.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I think so.

I'd be thrilled with a free $5000 and I'd be happy knowing I returned a favor to someone nice enough to provide me with a free ticket to the game.

Would $1000 be less than gracious?

OnTheWarpath58
Does the fact that the tickets were free to the ticket-giver, to begin with, come into play?

A part of me thinks there's a difference between giving a ticket away that you paid for versus one that you were given yourself.

To me, it's irrelevant.

Without a ticket, paid for or not, you don't get the opportunity to take that shot.

Pestilence

This is the way that I look at it.

1. It was my tickets that got us there in the first place. Not only that but I switched seats with him so that he could view the game. Due to us switching seats....he won the chance at the money.

2. It was his talent that won the $10,000.

Number one is worth 25% and number two is worth 75%. I wouldn't ask him for the money but that I hope that he would be generous enough to split the winnings. Am I going to be pissed that he didn't? No. Am I going to be disappointed? Yes.

If the shoe was on the other foot.....I would definitely give my friend some of the money. In fact I'd probably give him 50% but that's just me.

Johnny Vegas
01-06-2009, 05:24 PM

I know the question isn't asked to me, but I think there are friends you cover occasionally be it food, drinks, gas. Then there are friends you wouldn't cover because of they've mooched off you plenty with very little gratitude.

Kyle DeLexus
01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
You're a great guy then Hootie.
I admire that in you.

I've posed this question to several people and many of them only do so on certain conditions.

Some believe that nothing is owed to the ticket-giver because that person may not have been able to make those shots.

Some believe that something is owed to the ticket-giver, but not necessarily 50%.

Some believe nothing is owed to the ticket-giver at all because the seat-swap-requester had no foreknowledge that they'd be given such an opportunity.

I'm with Hootie on this. If i'm the won that just won the 10k it's not like I'm not getting out of it with nothing. I went to a game I wouldn't have, I got to see once at the game where I would have had problems in my original seat, and I'm taking home $5k all in all thats a great day. Any situation, even if it's some guy I absolutely hated and he only offered the seat to me as a "hey lets try to get past the bad blood" kind of thing and I still hated him at the end of the night, he still gets half. Even if it is my skill that won it, I consider that you put me into position to use my skill to my advantage.

Rigodan
01-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Which person where you Micjones? It's starting to sound like you're the guy that won the 10 grand and doesn't want to give any to his coworker that offered him a ticket.

Kyle DeLexus
01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Which person where you Micjones? It's starting to sound like you're the guy that won the 10 grand and doesn't want to give any to his coworker that offered him a ticket.

I was starting to think the same thing

Micjones
To me, it's irrelevant.

Without a ticket, paid for or not, you don't get the opportunity to take that shot.

Would you expect 50%?

Pestilence
It sounds to me like he gave up his seat and his friend stiffed him.

Rain Man
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd absolutely split it 50/50. Basketball is a team sport.

Micjones

I wish I were that fortunate.
I'm no where in this scenario gents.

I had the question posed to me earlier and it made for a fabulous conversation.

Rigodan
I'm with Hootie on this. If i'm the won that just won the 10k it's not like I'm not getting out of it with nothing. I went to a game I wouldn't have, I got to see once at the game where I would have had problems in my original seat, and I'm taking home $5k all in all thats a great day. Any situation, even if it's some guy I absolutely hated and he only offered the seat to me as a "hey lets try to get past the bad blood" kind of thing and I still hated him at the end of the night, he still gets half. Even if it is my skill that won it, I consider that you put me into position to use my skill to my advantage.

This. You would have won $0 without the other person inviting you to the game.

JASONSAUTO
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
To me, it's irrelevant.

this, i feel as though the guy owes 50% to the person who so graciously took him to the game

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:31 PM
It sounds to me like he gave up his seat and his friend stiffed him.

No, it just got me to thinking about what I would do in both positions.

A part of me knows that money can bring an ugliness out of people that nothing else can. And I think because of that people create their own rules and ideologies in those situations.

That's why I asked would the person be immoral not to share their winnings?
And if so, on what grounds?

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:31 PM
This. You would have won $0 without the other person inviting you to the game.

And without a free-throw shooting partner...
Isn't that a part of the equation as well?

OnTheWarpath58
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Would you expect 50%?

Expect it?

No.

But I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed, considering what I would do (and have done) if the shoe was on the other foot.

I remember a guys trip to Tunica several years back. We were planning to drive back to STL that afternoon, when 2 of the 6 of us wanted to play in a poker tournament that started at 1:00.

The other 4 relented, and 5 hours later, I had won the tournament and $3500.

We called the wives/significant others, and I treated to a steak dinner and an extra night hotel room in Tunica - just to say thanks for being a great friend and waiting it out - for me.

Then we left the following morning.

Trust me, NONE of my buddies have forgotten that...

Demonpenz
01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
it wouldn't be bad 50% to the guy making the shot and 50% of the money goes towards fun shit you get to do, strip clubs, bars, boat shoes, snowboarding, rap city

Kyle DeLexus
01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Expect it?

No.

But I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed, considering what I would do (and have done) if the shoe was on the other foot.

I remember a guys trip to Tunica several years back. We were planning to drive back to STL that afternoon, when 2 of the 6 of us wanted to play in a poker tournament that started at 1:00.

We called the wives/significant others, and I treated to a steak dinner and an extra night hotel room in Tunica - just to say thanks for being a great friend and waiting it out - for me.

Yep, Me I'd absolutely go back and offer 50%. At the VERY least it should be up to the shooter to go back and say hey I think you should get some of this what do you think? Then it's back to the person who gave the ticket and the seat to say what he thinks fair.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Expect it?

No.

Going above and beyond is always admirable.

I suppose what I was asking in the beginning, though, is would it be the seat-swap-requester's reasonable service to split their winnings?

I think you've answered that though...

Rain Man
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Another option would be for the shooter to take the seat-giver down to the Y and have him shoot three free throws. If he makes all three, he gets all of the money. Two and he gets two-thirds. One and he gets one-third. None, and he gets laughed at.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Yep, Me I'd absolutely go back and offer 50%. At the VERY least it should be up to the shooter to go back and say hey I think you should get some of this what do you think? Then it's back to the person who gave the ticket and the seat to say what he thinks fair.

Good point. Though I think many people would politely decline their offer and be mad in the end when they walked away with nothing at all.
:D

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Another option would be for the shooter to take the seat-giver down to the Y and have him shoot three free throws. If he makes all three, he gets all of the money. Two and he gets two-thirds. One and he gets one-third. None, and he gets laughed at.

ROFL

"Why can't I be QB?"

*Throws wayward pass*

"That's why. Now sit down and shut up."

Skip Towne
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Did KU win?

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Did KU win?

No. And following the game...Bill Self promptly asked the free-throwmaking seat-swap-requester to join the team after missing 8 of them down the stretch.

Iowanian
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
mic,

stop being an asshole and give the guy half of the money.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM

Would it be the same if there weren't 10,000 people there watching and screaming?

For me personally, if I hit it, I walk back to my seat with a shit eating grin on my face and say "Who woulda thought we'd both win 5k coming to this game tonight?" I wouldn't even give my friend an opportunity to be ugly.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and I sat in the chair that wasn't picked, bet your ass I'd give my friends plenty of opportunity to be ugly.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
mic,

stop being an asshole and give the guy half of the money.

I wish it were me.

Iowanian
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
If it was you, would you pay the other person $5k?

I would and wouldn't blink about it, because its the right thing to do. There has to be something in man-law, engraved in a cave somewhere about this.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd like to add another wrinkle to this. Let's say one of you makes 3 times the money the other does. Will that somehow come into play for you?

DaFace
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I'll toss my vote for the splitting it 50/50 option. If I were the giver, I would never ask, but as the winner, I would definitely give the other dude 5k. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Kyle DeLexus
01-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd like to add another wrinkle to this. Let's say one of you makes 3 times the money the other does. Will that somehow come into play for you?

That only comes into play if I have no need for the money or if I know or believe he has been struggling financially, then if he offered me half or any I'd decline. If I'm the one who is in need and I know the other guy doesn't need the money and I made the shot, I still offer 50%, thats just me though.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
That only comes into play if I have no need for the money or if I know or believe he has been struggling financially, then if he offered me half or any I'd decline. If I'm the one who is in need and I know the other guy doesn't need the money and I made the shot, I still offer 50%, thats just me though.

Yeah, I think if I know he needs the money and will use it properly I tell him those are his bananas. But if he's gonna spend it all on blow and that's why he's in the shape he's in, I'll take the dough regardless. Likewise, if I need it and he doesn't I still give up half.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-06-2009, 06:35 PM

I actually think that's fair, but that's because I know that I wouldn't likely have hit all three shots. I'd be nervous as hell and would probably airball all of them.

Also the winner would probably be stupid to give $5K to the other guy right off the bat seeing as I'm sure he'd have to claim it as income. He'd end up with way less than half in the end.

ohiobronco2
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I would definitely split the money. Then I would take my $5000 and pay off any traffic violations that I had received.

Goldmember
01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
One party is definitely going to get their share....Uncle Sam... but I'd give the guy that brought me about $3,500, which would be about half of the $7,000, after taxes.

KCChiefsMan
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm guessing that Mcjones is the one who hit the free throws and his buddy wants half.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm guessing that Mcjones is the one who hit the free throws and his buddy wants half.

I'm guessing I'm probably an 82% shooter from the line, but this didn't happen to me.

Micjones
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM

I'm not sure that it'd be 50%, but I'd be willing to give some of my winnings to a friend who gave me the opportunity.

DeezNutz
01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm guessing I'm probably an 82% shooter from the line.

(cough) bullshit (cough)

Demonpenz
01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
what kind of person keeps stats on a pickup game? (in reference to ice cube's lyric in ""today was a good day"")

DeezNutz
01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
what kind of person keeps stats on a pickup game? (in reference to ice cube's lyric in ""today was a good day"")

And clowning my man cause he wants to go to Howard.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I can knock down 80% of my free throws.

Pitt Gorilla
01-07-2009, 12:19 AM

I would and wouldn't blink about it, because its the right thing to do. There has to be something in man-law, engraved in a cave somewhere about this.Agreed, although I wouldn't have attended the game in the first place.

POND_OF_RED
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
I'd give my buddy half and spend the rest of the winnings on explosives to spread around Lawrence.

blueballs
01-07-2009, 01:09 AM
they have to pay people to go to Gayhawk games

Brock
01-07-2009, 07:15 AM
He should pony up half.

Brock
01-07-2009, 07:15 AM
I'd give my buddy half and spend the rest of the winnings on explosives to spread around Lawrence.

Thanks for sharing your butthurt, we love seeing it.

Chiefnj2
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
50% after taxes.

kepp
01-07-2009, 07:32 AM
So you win a pair of tickets to see the Jayhawks play at the Fieldhouse.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

But, following the intent of the question...yes, I would expect 50%.

Micjones
01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
(cough) bullshit (cough)

Okay, okay.
80%. Sheesh.