PDA

View Full Version : Life Has anyone had a child with pneumonia?

Pestilence
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
My 20 month old stepdaughter was diagnosed with pneumonia on Monday. She's repeatedly had a temperature between 102-103 since then....we've kept it down with motrin. We took her to the doctor on Monday (military hospital) and they gave us anti-biotics. She's now had two doses of the anti-biotics and she seems like she's getting worse. My fiance took her to the hospital today and they said that there isn't anything that they can do for her right now. We're just supposed to wait it out.

Anyone ever gone through this? Is this one of those things where it gets worse before it gets better or should we go back for a second opinion?

Adding to the situation....she's epileptic and the anti-biotics cause her seizure medication to not work.

badgirl
01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
My 20 month old stepdaughter was diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday night. She's repeatedly had a temperature between 102-103 since then....we've kept it down with motrin. We took her to the doctor on Monday (military hospital) and they gave us anti-biotics. She's now had two doses of the anti-biotics and she seems like she's getting worse. My fiance took her to the hospital today and they said that there isn't anything that they can do for her right now. We're just supposed to wait it out.

Anyone ever gone through this? Is this one of those things where it gets worse before it gets better or should we go back for a second opinion?

Adding to the situation....she's epileptic and the anti-biotics cause her seizure medication to not work.

I think the child should be admitted, my son had pneumonia when he was 4 mos old and they had him in a incubator and had IV's running. I would take him back and see if you can see another Dr.

I had ADULTS who are admitted with pneumonia on my floor, if a adult need to be in the hospital I would beleive a young child with epileptic seizures with a high temp. would definately need to be. High Temps can bring on seizures even if the child isn't epileptic.

Please go see another Dr.

Pestilence
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I think the child should be admitted, my son had pneumonia when he was 4 mos old and they had him in a incubator and had IV's running. I would take him back and see if you can see another Dr.

I had ADULTS who are admitted with pneumonia on my floor, if a adult need to be in the hospital I would beleive a young child with epileptic seizures with a high temp. would definately need to be.

Please go see another Dr.

That's the problem. It's a fucking military hospital. We got the whole "there's nothing that we can do for her right now" speach. Shit....we took her to the ER on Friday and they misdiagnosed her.

CanadaKC
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
that temp is too high to keep at home...especially if seizures are possible...cause febrile seizures are now a possibility if her hypothalamus cannot handle the fever spike...and you don't want to confuse a febrile seizure with a epileptic one...

Discuss Thrower
01-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Had it when I was three or so, I think my mom and grandma put me in a tub of lukewarm water to try and get the fever down. Though don't try this on my account, I don't wanna get sued.

MIAdragon
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Pes take her back right away.

chiefs4me
01-06-2009, 06:57 PM
go to another hospital...now!!

badgirl
01-06-2009, 06:57 PM
That's the problem. It's a ****ing military hospital. We got the whole "there's nothing that we can do for her right now" speach. Shit....we took her to the ER on Friday and they misdiagnosed her.

So you cannot use your insurance at a civilian hospital? I would take the baby to the regular ER in town or whatever it took , maybe if they admitted her there then they could transfer her to the military hospital who should be doing it to start with. Just an idea.

memyselfI
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
My 20 month old stepdaughter was diagnosed with pneumonia on Monday. She's repeatedly had a temperature between 102-103 since then....we've kept it down with motrin. We took her to the doctor on Monday (military hospital) and they gave us anti-biotics. She's now had two doses of the anti-biotics and she seems like she's getting worse. My fiance took her to the hospital today and they said that there isn't anything that they can do for her right now. We're just supposed to wait it out.

Get a second opinion NOW. I had pneumonia when I was two and almost died from it. The doctors did not treat it aggressively enough at first and I got worse until I was critically ill. My mom still gets all choked up telling the story and it happened 42 years ago.

Even if you have to pay out of pocket it will be money well spent.

Pestilence
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
So you cannot use your insurance at a civilian hospital? I would take the baby to the regular ER in town or whatever it took , maybe if they admitted her there then they could transfer her to the military hospital who should be doing it to start with. Just an idea.

The military's insurance is retarded. The hospital has to be out of the local area for them to cover it. Their local area is like a 4 hour circle around the base.

luv
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I had double pneumonia when I was two years old. I can't tell you too much about that, except that I was in the hospital for the duration.

JASONSAUTO
01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
we have a special needs daughter, she has seizures also, we have taken her to a hospital before and were NOT satisfied with what was told to us and left that hospital immediately and went to another.(my wife is VERY tuned in to our daughters needs and health issues). daughter is 8 and does not speak so sometimes the doctors dont take it seriously. mom KNOWS when something is wrong and always has so IMO if mom feels its not right take the child somewhere IMMEDIATELY. who gives a shit about insurance coverage?(to poster above) the child comes first worry about the cost later

JASONSAUTO
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
The military's insurance is retarded. The hospital has to be out of the local area for them to cover it. Their local area is like a 4 hour circle around the base.

once again what is the child's life worth?

yeti
01-06-2009, 07:11 PM

Well a four hour drive might be cheaper than uninsured coverage? Just a guess. Although, a 4 hour car ride is surprisingly physically demanding when one is sick.

MIAdragon
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Please bro, donít insinuate that he doesnít think he's kids life is not worth a 4hr drive.

MIAdragon
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
You need to take her back in.

mlyonsd
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
If she's having trouble breathing please take her to outpatients somewhere now.

JASONSAUTO
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Please bro, donít insinuate that he doesnít think he's kids life is not worth a 4hr drive.

i wasnt, and i would not take that child on a 4 hour ride just take her to a hospital and pay the money

rbf
01-07-2009, 05:54 AM
If you have a good commanding officer get him involved in this. Somebody with rank climbing over somebody at the hospital is what it takes to get some of these morons at the military hospitals moving. I wost likely would not be a Grandpa today if not for the guy my son in law had above him. Good luck to you.

Fruit Ninja
01-07-2009, 05:58 AM

Yep, who cares if your in debt the rest of your life. the Childs life is worth more then that. I dont even know why someone would questions insurance when it comes to a 20 month old baby and bills.

morphius
01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I went through this with my son a few times, more often then not it didn't require hospitalization. If I'm not mistaken, they can check his oxygen levels, and if that is okay there is no reason they can't be at home. That being said, they should keep in contact with the doctors and make sure the baby is getting enough fluids to keep from getting dehydrated and making it worse.

Iowanian
01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Doctors advice is probably the best....don't mess around with your child's health.

antibiotics, fever control(some fever is good though, its the body fighting back), lots of juice/fluid and a nebulizer is what we did.

Saggysack
01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
On the cusp of hospitilzation. 1 to 2 degrees higher and the brain will start to, in essense boil for adults at that temp(children seem to be alittle more resilient to higher fevers). Don't just just use Ibuprofen(Motrin) though. You can alternate both Acetimenaphen and Ibuprofen every 2-3hrs to help control the fever.

Having said that, my son had pneumonia at about the same age and ran a
temp between 102-103 for about a week. Anti-biotics, a healthy dose of fluids daily and rest is the normal treatment from my experience. I would keep up with the doctors orders you have at this time. If the temp cannot be controlled within reason with medication, seek medical help ASAP.

Bill Lundberg
01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Don't just just use Ibuprofen(Motrin) though. You can alternate both Acetimenaphen and Ibuprofen every 2-3hrs to help control the fever.

Funny, I had always heard this too, and used it religeously while my daughter was teething. I asked my pediatrician about it and she said it's a terrible idea and you could risk toxicity by doing this.

Saggysack
01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Funny, I had always heard this too, and used it religeously while my daughter was teething. I asked my pediatrician about it and she said it's a terrible idea and you could risk toxicity by doing this.

I'd seek different medical advice next time.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/523077
Alternating Acetaminophen With Ibuprofen May Be Best for Fever in Children
regimen that alternates acetaminophen with ibuprofen controls fever in children better than does either drug given by itself, according to the results of a randomized, double-blind, parallel-group trial reported in the February issue of the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine.

kepp
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
My 16 month old daughter recently had an upper-respiratory infection which required antibiotics. We started her on the prescription and, when it wasn't getting better we went to see another doctor. As it turns out, the antibiotics that the first Dr prescribed were not (and would never be) effective for the condition. He prescribed a different type and it cleared it right up. At the very least, get a second opinion.

jAZ
01-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Ouch on that last part.

My son is 2 years old, and he got sick last week. We called the Dr. because he had a fever, they said wait, but make an appt if he doesn't stop getting a fever within 48 hours (tylanol/montrin would break it, but it would come back).

Took him in the next day and after checking him out, the Dr. gave him anti-biotics and said that he "might have a touch of pneumonia".

I got a little freaked out, but he explained that it's not as unusual as it sounds, and that it really wasn't a big deal.

I doubt that's very comforting for you, but it helped me a *little* bit. Particularly given that the meds worked right away and he doesn't have any complicating factors.

Bill Lundberg
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd seek different medical advice next time.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/523077
Alternating Acetaminophen With Ibuprofen May Be Best for Fever in Children

I guess it depends on what you choose to read or believe... I'm going to proceed on the side of caution and stick with one or the other.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/464566_3

Another problem with the practice of alternating acetaminophen every 4 hours and ibuprofen every 6 hours is that it not only exceeds the recommended daily doses of these medications, but it also does not specify which antipyretic medication should be given to the child at the twelfth hour (Mayoral et al., 2000). This poses a significant safety risk to the child, as it increases the potential for accidental overdose or improper medication administration. Finally, due to the lack of scientific evidence regarding the safety and efficacy of this practice, Mayoral et al. recommend that practitioners proceed with extreme caution when using alternating antipyretic therapy.In addition, practitioners are encouraged to advise parents to use one single agent to treat pediatric fever as opposed to alternating both acetaminophen and ibuprofen (Mayoral et al., 2000).

BigRedChief
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I worked as a Respiratoy Therapist for 9 years. take it from me and my experience get her to the hospital right away.

If this bug gets out of her lungs into other organs or into her blood she is in real trouble. The hospital can give her IV anti-botics that can head off the spread of the bug faster and quicker than oral.

Jilly
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm not trying to say that you should or shouldnt' take her, but I just wanted to let you know that our friends at church's daughter (she's 6 months old) had pneumonia. They had her on antibiotics for a few weeks and it wasn't until the last part of the two weeks that she started to get better. They also had breathing treatments that had to do with her, but they never admitted her to the hospital and they did just fine.
I wouldn't worry too much about the fever until it's around 104. Our dr. didn't call it a temperature until it was 101... but she's almost 4 months old..so it might be different.

Mr. Plow
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
My kids doctors - and any hospital doctors they've seen - have always told me that for abnormally high fevers that you can alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 2 hours. These are doctors from KC, Wichita, & Hutch.

Obviously, you don't want to do this for an extended period of time, but you can do it for a short period. My oldest ran a fever of 105 for over an hour when he was 2 years old. Called the doctor, she told us to alternate the meds & then put him in a luke warm bath. Let me tell you - and I know my parents had to do this with me several times - holding your screaming 2 year old in a luke warm bath because the water is "too cold" is one of the most heart wrenching things I've had to do.

Man, thinking back what I've been through with all my kids, I am very lucky - I just don't realize it all the time.

Pest, I'm sure you probably have already, but get your kid to the doctor if you haven't.

fan4ever
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM

My 11 year old son has cerebral palsy and because of his inability to be ambulatory and exercise and develope his lungs, he has had pheumonia 8 times. Most times he was hospitalized, but the times he wasn't he had an INJECTION of an antibiotic called Rocephin (Generic Name: ceftriaxone). Hopefully that is what you got, and not just oral antibiotics. We were able to treat him at home with the shot. Sometimes antibiotics take a couple of days and alternating the ibuprophen and acetemeniphine is a good idea for the fever...that was recommended for us.

Pestilence
01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all of the advice.

When I got home from work last night....her fever had broke and is now stead around 98-low 99s. She's acting much better and seems to be herself again. She's still sleeping a lot...but that's too be expected. We're still going to keep an eye on her and take her in if she starts to regress but it looks like for now that the antibiotics are doing their job (finally).

Thanks again for the help.

Mr. Plow
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM

When I got home from work last night....her fever had broke and is now stead around 98-low 99s. She's acting much better and seems to be herself again. She's still sleeping a lot...but that's too be expected. We're still going to keep an eye on her and take her in if she starts to regress but it looks like for now that the antibiotics are doing their job (finally).

Great to hear.

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I remember I got really sick when I was younger and was so weak I couldn't control my bladder especially when they were running so many fluids through me. That was the worst week of high school ever

JASONSAUTO
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM

VERY glad to hear all is well

CrazyPhuD
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Good to hear and good luck!

J Diddy
01-07-2009, 08:48 PM
My kids doctors - and any hospital doctors they've seen - have always told me that for abnormally high fevers that you can alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 2 hours. These are doctors from KC, Wichita, & Hutch.

Obviously, you don't want to do this for an extended period of time, but you can do it for a short period. My oldest ran a fever of 105 for over an hour when he was 2 years old. Called the doctor, she told us to alternate the meds & then put him in a luke warm bath. Let me tell you - and I know my parents had to do this with me several times - holding your screaming 2 year old in a luke warm bath because the water is "too cold" is one of the most heart wrenching things I've had to do.

Man, thinking back what I've been through with all my kids, I am very lucky - I just don't realize it all the time.

Pest, I'm sure you probably have already, but get your kid to the doctor if you haven't.

I remember when my son was 2 and came running through the dining room where I had some computer parts on the floor. Sliced him good and I had to hold him while the doc gave him 7 stitches. That sucked.