PDA

View Full Version : Football Browns hire Mangini

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Per ESPN bottomline, I'll get a link later.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I saw it too.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Sounds like it's KC or stay put for Pioli.

dirk digler
01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
LMAO

I actually feel sorry for their fans. What a joke

MANGINI GETS THE JOB (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/07/mangini-gets-the-job/)

Michael Holley of WEEI radio in Boston reported earlier today that Eric Mangini would be the coach of the Browns before the end of the week.

As it turns out, Mangini is the coach before the end of the day.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that Mangini has been hired by the Browns to replace Romeo Crennel.

philfree
Does that mean Pioli is a Chiefs?

PhilFree:arrow:

RustShack
Say he hires Romeo as DC if hes interested. Does/has Pioli lost all interest in GM job for the Browns?

chiefs1111
good for them

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
FWIW, I'm wearing my lucky Chiefs T-shirt, the good ju-ju shall be on our side. No joke the only other times I've worn it was during the weeks when KC has won.

Crush
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Say he hires Romeo as DC if hes interested. Does/has Pioli lost all interest in GM job for the Browns?

It sure looks that way.

Rooster
01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
FWIW, I'm wearing my lucky Chiefs T-shirt, the good ju-ju shall be on our side. No joke the only other times I've worn it was during the weeks when KC has won.

Don't take it off dude. :D

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/07/browns_coaches_records.html

CLEVELAND --- The Browns have agreed to terms on a contract with Eric Mangini to be their next head coach, a league source said Wednesday.
Mangini, fired by the Jets last week, will be introduced in a press conference Thursday morning.

Mangini, who turns 38 on Jan. 19, was the first of four candidates interviewed by Lerner to replace Romeo Crennel. Mangini was fired by the New York Jets on Dec. 29, the day after the Jets lost their final game and were eliminated from the AFC playoffs.

Lerner interviewed Mangini the next day. Lerner was so impressed that he never wavered from Mangini as his first choice. The owner also interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

Mangini's hiring increases the possibility of Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as defensive coordinator. Mangini and Crennel worked five years together on Bill Belichick's New England staff, sharing three Super Bowl championships. When Crennel was named Browns coach in 2005, Mangini was his first choice for defensive coordinator, but Mangini opted to stay in New England as Crennel's replacement in charge of the Patriots' defense.

Mangini stayed one year with New England before moving to the arch-rival Jets as head coach, creating a deep rift with Belichick, who was responsible for moving Mangini into coaching on the old Browns' staff in 1995.

Mangini's first job with the Browns was as a ballboy. He then served an internship with the public relations staff. Belichick was impressed with his attention to detail and gave him tasks to help the coaching staff.

Mangini was 23-26 in three years as Jets coach. His firing was a surprise to many in the NFL but not so much to those close to the Jets situation.

Jets owner Woody Johnson talked of giving Mangini a contract extension when the team was 8-3. But after four losses in their last five games, Johnson pulled the plug on the coach who had acquired the nickname "Mangenius" for going 10-6 in his first season as coach.

The Jets were 0-2 against the Browns under Mangini, losing, 20-13, in Cleveland in 2006, and 24-18, in the Meadowlands in 2007.

After the 2007 season, the Jets doled out more than $160 million in contracts for veteran players to push the team over the hump. The spending spree included a decision late in training camp to trade for disgruntled Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre.

Favre's acquisition led to the release of popular veteran quarterback Chad Pennington. The division rival Miami Dolphins quickly signed Pennington, and he led them to the AFC East title, earning the NFL's comeback player-of-the-year award.

Mangini, who was against the pickup of Favre, sparred with the future Hall of Famer. Favre threw nine interceptions in the last five games, precipitating the team's free-fall. Johnson wanted Favre to return in 2009 and felt the chances were greater of that with a change of coaches.

In his interview with Lerner, Mangini touted long-time friend George Kokinis, Baltimore Ravens pro personnel director, as his choice to work as Browns' chief football executive. The Browns can't interview Kokinis until Sunday.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't take it off dude. :D

Honestly, I haven't I wear it with my PJs. It's an old and tattered SOB. Now if we can get Stafford

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
If Mangini thought the AFC East was tough, wait until he gets a load of the AFC North.

HemiEd
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM

That makes it pretty old, or very fresh.

Oh, and warn me when you change your sig by adding to it. I almost didn't notice.

Deberg_1990
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Why are the Bowns so in love with this guy?

Honestly, he sounds like the next Herm Edwards to me.

Fritz88
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Good news. Scott may not be interested in Browns after all.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Man Who Was An Expert On How To Avoid Being Kidnapped in Mexico Was Kidnapped in Mexico After Giving Lecture On "How To Not Be Kidnapped in Mexico (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/07/security.expert.kidnap/index.html)

Nice trying to highjack a legit football thread, dumbass.

BigRock
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
LOL Browns

Fritz88
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice trying to highjack a legit football thread, dumbass.

how about thinking i made the wrong post,assface?

MGRS13
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
So if Clark can't get Pioli for 5 mil a year with 0 competition from other teams, its a big red flag to all the other suitors and once again we'll have to settle for second or third best.

BigRock
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
So if Clark can't get Pioli for 5 mil a year with 0 competition from other teams, its a big red flag to all the other suitors and once again we'll have to settle for second or third best.

Yes, it'll be a big red flag if a guy who's repeatedly turned down chances to leave New England decides he still doesn't want to leave.

noa
Stupid Browns

BigMeatballDave
how about thinking i made the wrong post,assface?We have a delete function...

KChiefs1
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Come on down Pioli & Schwartz!

kepp
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM

So, did you just misplace it for like 20 weeks?

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Or, it could be that he likes another candidate better.

Just because Pioli is the biggest name available doesn't mean he's the best candidate out there.

eazyb81
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
No surprise. It's been pretty clear for the last few days that Pioli is ours if we want him and can seal the deal.

MGRS13
Yes, it'll be a big red flag if a guy who's repeatedly turned down chances to leave New England decides he still doesn't want to leave.

Nah those were different other teams called to ask his intrest and he turned them down. Now its very obvious he wants to chart his own path with the right team. He turned other girls down in the hallway at school were in our living room with our prom dress on and moms got the camera.

OnTheWarpath58

This too.

Fritz88
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
We have a delete function...

I would have deleted it had he given me benefit of the doubt and mentioned it instead of accusing me of trying to steal someone's thread. WTF is up with that?

I'll delete it but it really pisses you off sometimes when people jump into conclusions without thinking for 2 seconds.

royr17
It's official, Scott Pioli will not be going to cleveland.

Hydrae
So the Browns have hired a head coach before hiring a GM. The Chiefs on the other hand have not fired their coach and are waiting to hire a GM first.

Have to say that the Chiefs are closer to the right way to do this IMO. I do think they should go ahead and release Herm so he can look elsewhere but the GM needs to be in place so he can pick the head coach with which he will be working.

Darth CarlSatan
Per ESPN bottomline, I'll get a link later.

News REP!

If the good news comes, you shall super glue it to your person from now until the end of the draft.:thumb:

It sure looks that way.

We are one step closer to
JIZZ MY PANTS!

:rockon::toast:PBJ:bravo:

aturnis
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I think he sees that it's time to leave New England. Better to get out before the sharp decline in team quality. Not only are you not blamed, but you get to have that decline attributed to your departure.

milkman
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
It's official, Scott Pioli will not be going to cleveland.

You haven't been paying attention.

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 04:08 PM
He's got a PANORMOUS honeymoon window in KC to boot; Chiefs fans will give this guy a serious chance.

We're the right place at the right time, Pioli knows this, and here he comes.

Print it!

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
how about thinking i made the wrong post,assface?"Buttmunch!"
"Spooge!"
"Asswipe!"

Boris The Great
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Did any of the other teams with coaching openings even try to interview Mangenius?

Its funny watching Cleveland try to spin this. Yesterday one of their top columnists wrote about how Brett Favre was forced on Mangini, and Mangini didnt want him, and the only reason Mangini was fired was because of Favre choking down the stretch.

I seem to remember a story about Mangini naming his kid after Favre, but yeah, other than that I guess Mangini hated having Favre there.

HemiEd
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Its too bad they got in such a hurry, if they had only tampered a little, they could have had Herm Edwards.

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
You haven't been paying attention.

It's official; Carl has resigned! :D

whoman69
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I said several days ago the Browns will get what they deserve if they hire Mangini. It would be astounding for an owner to hire a coach without input from a GM. They just assured that their next GM is going to be a second tier person who is taking the job as an opportunity they might otherwise not have been given.

eazyb81
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Rumor is Rob Ryan is going to Cleveland to be Mangini's D-coordinator.

DJJasonp
01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
This sounds like an organization trying to make up for letting Belichek go to NE and win super bowls....

They (cleveland) must have read Carl Peterson's "How to run a franchise on guts and hunches alone" autobiography.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Interesting.

Lateral move. I guess Oakland's staff is planning on getting the axe.

JohnnyV13
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Nah those were different other teams called to ask his intrest and he turned them down. Now its very obvious he wants to chart his own path with the right team. He turned other girls down in the hallway at school were in our living room with our prom dress on and moms got the camera.

The question is, will he take us to the big dance, or will he just settle for fraking us in the car?

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
The question is, will he take us to the big dance, or will he just settle for fraking us in the car?

Hey, if Pioli does only a third of the job he did at NE? That's Super Bowl, BABY!!!!!

:rockon::toast::bravo::hail:

FringeNC
01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Cleveland's owner (Lerner?) is making a big bet on Mangini. Either it'll work or he'll be a laughingstock. In his favor is that supposedly someone competent from Baltimore is eager to work as GM with Mangini.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Interesting.

Lateral move. I guess Oakland's staff is planning on getting the axe.

Its a 3-4 job. One of the few that is open.

Coach
01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Fine by me. At least the Chiefs chances of getting a decent coach improved, assuming Herman Edwards finally gets fired.

Deberg_1990
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
This sounds like an organization trying to make up for letting Belichek go to NE and win super bowls....

Except that franchise is really the Baltimore Ravens now.

Amnorix
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM

I suspect that Pioli has lost all interest in the GM job for the Browns regardless. The Browns, IMHO, are making a big mistake in hiring a coach before the GM regardless.

Pioli wants (and deservedly should get) TOTAL control over football operations. WTF would he settle for less?

Amnorix
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
So the Browns have hired a head coach before hiring a GM. The Chiefs on the other hand have not fired their coach and are waiting to hire a GM first.

Have to say that the Chiefs are closer to the right way to do this IMO. I do think they should go ahead and release Herm so he can look elsewhere but the GM needs to be in place so he can pick the head coach with which he will be working.

I agree 100%.

Amnorix
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I think he sees that it's time to leave New England. Better to get out before the sharp decline in team quality. Not only are you not blamed, but you get to have that decline attributed to your departure.

On what basis do you predict this "sharp decline"?

88TG88
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I think it's spelled Mangina.

Count Zarth
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Why are the Bowns so in love with this guy?

Honestly, he sounds like the next Herm Edwards to me.

He's worse.

His press conferences are a joke. He's a mushmouth. I just laugh everytime he talks. I can't imagine any of the players respect him. He just comes across as a tard.

He got his start in the friggin PR department. THE PR DEPARTMENT! WHAT THE FUCK?

Amnorix
01-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Its a 3-4 job. One of the few that is open.

Yes, but Al loves Ryan, and doesn't have a history of letting people go that he wants to keep.

Not sure Ryan is allowed ot make a lateral move if his contract isn't up.

Al Bundy
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I did just get word out of Cleveland the Ryan is in fact the new DC in Cleveland.

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I suspect that Pioli has lost all interest in the GM job for the Browns regardless. The Browns, IMHO, are making a big mistake in hiring a coach before the GM regardless.

Pioli wants (and deservedly should get) TOTAL control over football operations. WTF would he settle for less?

There simply isn't enough space on the super information highway to type "yes" the amount of times needed to stress my agreement with this statement.

Hydrae
01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, but Al loves Ryan, and doesn't have a history of letting people go that he wants to keep.

Not sure Ryan is allowed ot make a lateral move if his contract isn't up.

They'll just make him assistant head coach or something so that it is a promotion of position.

wazu
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
I think Mangini is a good coach. The Browns will get better quickly.

Chiefnj2
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Browns and Broncos are both doing the coach first and GM second route.

Hopefully Mangini will have learned some lessons from NY, like Belichick did in Cleveland. At the end of the day, Brett Favre got Mangini fired.

KChiefs1
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/07/mangini.browns/

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=col0>Speed of Mangini hiring makes for compelling, risky move by Browns

</TD><TD class=col1>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=cnnstorycontenttable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cnnstorycontentarea><TABLE class=cnninlineright style="WIDTH: 298px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>In a moment, I'll get to the question for the Cleveland Browns (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/browns) of "Why Eric Mangini, and why now?'' It's a surprise, obviously, but once Cleveland owner Randy Lerner figured he couldn't entice Scott Pioli to become the Browns' general manager, Lerner was going to go for the best coach on the market. Mangini convinced Lerner eight nights ago that his ties to Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick made him that man.

But first, a few thoughts about what's next, which might be just as compelling as the hiring of Mangini. I think Lerner will next hire a worker-bee general manager. That might not be the end of the remaking of his front office. I believe Lerner will try to entice a big name to serve as the kind of Parcells-type overseer to his front office (Mike Holmgren, perhaps) who could help Mangini and the new, young general manager chart the long-term course for the Browns' future.

I'm not sure if that's smart, or just a desperate reaction to losing Pioli. But I don't think Lerner will hire a GM next, then just let the team percolate.

Now for the story of why Lerner hired Mangini, fired nine days ago by the Jets. The former Browns' PR intern will be introduced as head coach Thursday morning at the club's training facility in Berea, Ohio.

When Lerner decided to replace his general manager, Phil Savage, and his head coach, Romeo Crennel, one of the things he was adamant about was getting an out-front leader for the franchise as part of his new coach/management team. Lerner figured that would be Pioli, the vice president of player personnel for the New England Patriots (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/patriots) who helped build a skidding franchise into a three-time Super Bowl champion. Lerner and Pioli met for about seven hours last Wednesday, and Lerner was sure Pioli was the top candidate to come in and rebuild his team.

But Pioli never gave Lerner the indication that he was prepared to take the job. A source close to Lerner told SI.com that, contrary to some reports, Pioli was never offered the job, nor was he given a deadline by which time he had to accept or reject the job. The Lerner source also said Pioli never made any demands that gave Lerner cold feet. Lerner felt Pioli might go somewhere else (Kansas City, perhaps), or he might return to the Patriots.

Lerner felt if he waited for Pioli to make up his mind, he might be waiting a week or two, or maybe longer, and there was no guarantee he'd get Pioli. Also, he wasn't convinced he'd be able to convince the other big name on the market, fired Denver coach Mike Shanahan, that the Browns' job was the perfect one for him. So he interviewed four coaches -- Mangini; his own defensive coordinator, Mel Tucker; Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo; and New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. He liked Mangini far and away the best. In the interview, Mangini stressed how much he'd learned coaching at the right hand of Parcells (with the Jets) and Belichick (with the Jets and Patriots) and he talked chapter and verse about what he'd learned in his three years coaching the Jets. Lerner, as did many of his peers around the league, felt Mangini got a raw deal in New York. Who fires a 37-year-old coach with winning seasons in two of his first three years?

In the end, Lerner was so smitten with Mangini that he chose him over the superb young quarterback tutor, McDaniels, and he chose not to wait for any of the coaches on the eight teams in the playoffs -- names like defensive coordinators Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz of the Ravens and Titans, respectively. Surely he'll be questioned about that decision at the Thursday press conference. Why not wait? No other team was lining up to steal Mangini from him. It's a question that will dog this franchise if one of the candidates Lerner bypasses goes on to great coaching career. But what Lerner will say, I'm sure, is some variation of this: I was convinced that Mangini was our man, so there was no reason for me to wait.

It's a compelling, risky decision by Lerner. It makes the Browns a compelling team in 2009.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MahiMike
01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
"Mangini's hiring increases the possibility of Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as defensive coordinator".

Can you say,"Gunther"?

MahiMike
01-07-2009, 08:32 PM
This whole deal is like a game of Hold 'em. Each owner has their down cards and the coaches are the board. Exciting!

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 08:36 PM
"Mangini's hiring increases the possibility of Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as defensive coordinator".

Can you say,"Gunther"?

Explain please.

ArrowheadHawk
01-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Explain please.

? Are you a chiefs fan? Gunther went from HC to DC. He did leave for a few years though.

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
? Are you a chiefs fan? Gunther went from HC to DC. He did leave for a few years though.

Yes, yes; I didn't see the obvious point for the James Bond skullduggery we are currently experiencing.

I thought it might have something to do with retaining Gunther.

Mark M
01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
On what basis do you predict this "sharp decline"?

Uh oh ...

MM
~~:popcorn:

keg in kc
01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
How surprised will they be when Mangino shows up tomorrow.

Darth CarlSatan
01-07-2009, 09:06 PM
How surprised will they be when Mangini shows up tomorrow.

FYP.

On the off-chance initial post wasn't a typo:

You're dreaming.

While simultaneously giving me nightmares.

Bad Keg.

Sure-Oz
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Mangini chooses Rob Ryan to run his defense

Browns hired former Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to fill the same position in Cleveland, according to NFL.com's Adam Schefter.
Oakland has lost RBs coach Tom Rathman, OC Greg Knapp, and now Ryan, not to mention the assistants Lane Kiffin made off with to college. Buddy's lesser known son, Ryan's defenses were dictated by Al Davis in Oakland so we can't say for sure how they'll look with the Browns. The Raiders' 4-3 was awful against the run and used no blitzes. Ryan has experience running the 3-4, however, and will very likely employ that alignment in Cleveland. Jan. 7 - 8:27 pm et
Source: NFL.com