PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Goodbye Sony PSP???

Deberg_1990
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow..had no idea it was struggling like this....

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/goodbye-sony-psp/1276225

Whatever happened to the PSP? The device that Sony once touted as "the Walkman for the 21st century" is fast disappearing from popular consciousness, and if you believe the rumors circulating just three-and-a-half years after its launch, it's up for a major rethink in 2009.

Over the crucial month of November, the Nintendo DS shifted a jaw-dropping 1.5 million units in the US alone (up 20% from last year) while the PSP languished, managing just 421,000 sales -- actually down 27%, in what was in general a tremendously strong month for video games.

Even the software support is eroding. Despite the PSP's healthy install base of around 13 million consumers, only six 2008 PSP releases scored better than 80% on review aggregating site gamerankings.com, compared with 16 on the DS. There's a good reason for that: nobody's making PSP games, because outside of one or two hits like this year's Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, nobody's buying them. That's only going to worsen when the superheavyweight Grand Theft Auto series (previously exclusive to the PSP on handhelds) releases its first DS title early next year.

In a lot of ways, it's a shame. The PSP is a far more capable hardware platform than the DS. It's a phone, a portable music player, a pocket-sized movie device, a mobile web browser, and when paired with a Playstation 3, a remarkably capable remote control for the system, capable of streaming music and movies from a PS3 over the Internet to wherever you happen to be.

Next to it, the DS looks like a product of another age. It's barely capable of 3D, let alone delivering a suite of mobile applications of the PSP's caliber. Not, in fact, unlike the contrast between the Playstation 3 (modern, immensely powerful, and pricey) and the Wii (underpowered, basic, and cheap.) Oh, and phenomenally successful. The parallels you can draw between Sony and Nintendo's offerings go deep.

But then, set the PSP next to the iPhone or iPod Touch, the year's other big winner in portable gaming, and the PSP's hardware design suddenly looks old hat. Where's the touchscreen? What are all these buttons for? What on earth is the point of this useless analog nub of a joystick? And why, in an age when flash memory is so cheap it practically comes in Cheerios boxes, are we still stuck with a huge, bulky, slow, and noisy optical drive? If you're going to compete by offering a powerful hardware platform, you actually need to outperform the competition. As the iPhone steps into the portable gaming ring, it's already got the PSP on the ropes.

Guess what, Sony: Apple already made the Walkman of the 21st century, and you missed the boat.

Demonpenz
01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
kinda hard to own a psp when it is the same price as a 360

Basileus777
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
This really isn't anything new. The PSPs has solid hardware sales and awful software sales.

Guru
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
This really isn't anything new. The PSPs has solid hardware sales and awful software sales.PSP is worthless without modding. Of course, I hardly touch mine anymore. It just sits in my Psyche speaker dock, which kicks ass by the way, and plays music in my room.

Valiant
01-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow..had no idea it was struggling like this....

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/goodbye-sony-psp/1276225

Whatever happened to the PSP? The device that Sony once touted as "the Walkman for the 21st century" is fast disappearing from popular consciousness, and if you believe the rumors circulating just three-and-a-half years after its launch, it's up for a major rethink in 2009.

Over the crucial month of November, the Nintendo DS shifted a jaw-dropping 1.5 million units in the US alone (up 20% from last year) while the PSP languished, managing just 421,000 sales -- actually down 27%, in what was in general a tremendously strong month for video games.

Even the software support is eroding. Despite the PSP's healthy install base of around 13 million consumers, only six 2008 PSP releases scored better than 80% on review aggregating site gamerankings.com, compared with 16 on the DS. There's a good reason for that: nobody's making PSP games, because outside of one or two hits like this year's Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, nobody's buying them. That's only going to worsen when the superheavyweight Grand Theft Auto series (previously exclusive to the PSP on handhelds) releases its first DS title early next year.

In a lot of ways, it's a shame. The PSP is a far more capable hardware platform than the DS. It's a phone, a portable music player, a pocket-sized movie device, a mobile web browser, and when paired with a Playstation 3, a remarkably capable remote control for the system, capable of streaming music and movies from a PS3 over the Internet to wherever you happen to be.

Next to it, the DS looks like a product of another age. It's barely capable of 3D, let alone delivering a suite of mobile applications of the PSP's caliber. Not, in fact, unlike the contrast between the Playstation 3 (modern, immensely powerful, and pricey) and the Wii (underpowered, basic, and cheap.) Oh, and phenomenally successful. The parallels you can draw between Sony and Nintendo's offerings go deep.

But then, set the PSP next to the iPhone or iPod Touch, the year's other big winner in portable gaming, and the PSP's hardware design suddenly looks old hat. Where's the touchscreen? What are all these buttons for? What on earth is the point of this useless analog nub of a joystick? And why, in an age when flash memory is so cheap it practically comes in Cheerios boxes, are we still stuck with a huge, bulky, slow, and noisy optical drive? If you're going to compete by offering a powerful hardware platform, you actually need to outperform the competition. As the iPhone steps into the portable gaming ring, it's already got the PSP on the ropes.

Guess what, Sony: Apple already made the Walkman of the 21st century, and you missed the boat.

When did it become a phone??

Deberg_1990
01-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Yea...i was wondering the same thing? WTF??

mikeyis4dcats.
01-07-2009, 05:46 PM

it was rumored at one time Sony was developing a phone app for the PSP, but I honestly don't know if it ever came out

Guru
01-07-2009, 06:13 PM
it was rumored at one time Sony was developing a phone app for the PSP, but I honestly don't know if it ever came outOnly in Japan. Skype

mikeyis4dcats.
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Only in Japan. Skype

well, technically it could be considered a phone to some then.

still a stupid argument, I would never consider an iphone to be a handheld console

TinyEvel
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
kinda hard to own a psp when it is the same price as a 360

PSP is 129.

360 stripped down with no HD is 199. You can't compare the two. Portable vs. non-portable.

TinyEvel
01-07-2009, 08:36 PM
With the PSP's built-in wi-fi and built-in microphone you can AIM and audio AIM with anyone thru the web at a hotspot.

But yeah, the phone feature they were talking about was Skype. That, and GPS and a Camera attachment were all shown at CES last year but not released yet.

Valiant
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
With the PSP's built-in wi-fi and built-in microphone you can AIM and audio AIM with anyone thru the web at a hotspot.

But yeah, the phone feature they were talking about was Skype. That, and GPS and a Camera attachment were all shown at CES last year but not released yet.

Ahh.. So I can classify my laptop as a phone..

Saulbadguy
01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
PSP is worthless without modding. Of course, I hardly touch mine anymore. It just sits in my Psyche speaker dock, which kicks ass by the way, and plays music in my room.

I disagree, it has some good games for it.

Demonpenz
01-08-2009, 08:23 AM
PSP is 129.

360 stripped down with no HD is 199. You can't compare the two. Portable vs. non-portable.

129? I already got a gameboy

TinyEvel
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
129? I already got a gameboy

Are you 12?

:p

Demonpenz
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Are you 12?

inches? yes/

Guru
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I disagree, it has some good games for it.Yeah, it does. Just not very many. Plus, once I beat a game I generally don't replay it.

TinyEvel
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
PSP is 129.

My bad. The standalone is $149

lazepoo
01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
My question is when did people decide that the iPhone was a decent gaming platform? Or even mediocre??? Without dedicated input buttons, you can't have very precise control which limits its gaming potential. I don't understand where all this iPhone gaming love is coming from.

Guru
01-08-2009, 04:36 PM
My question is when did people decide that the iPhone was a decent gaming platform? Or even mediocre??? Without dedicated input buttons, you can't have very precise control which limits its gaming potential. I don't understand where all this iPhone gaming love is coming from.Well you can play NES titles on it with a virtual controller. Pretty cool actually.

TinyEvel
01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Well you can play NES titles on it with a virtual controller. Pretty cool actually.

Is that a hack?

The kind of gaming you do on iPhone is like when you're waiting for your friend to come out of the bank, or have ten minutes before your dentist appointment, shit like that.

Buehler445
01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Wife's nephew (does that make him a nephew in law? I'm not real sure of the terminology) had one and some of the other kids got DSs. I don't understand what is so good about the DSs.

Basileus777
01-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Wife's nephew (does that make him a nephew in law? I'm not real sure of the terminology) had one and some of the other kids got DSs. I don't understand what is so good about the DSs.

Well the DS has a touchscreen and a huge library of games.

Guru
01-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Is that a hack?

The kind of gaming you do on iPhone is like when you're waiting for your friend to come out of the bank, or have ten minutes before your dentist appointment, shit like that.yeah, you have to jailbreak it to do that.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Its got the touchscreen gimmick, its got a ton of games, it appeals to the "casual gamers" and kids, and Nintendo is brilliant at marketing to them.

Paniero
01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Are you 12?

Purusing the internet for 12 year olds? SMH

Saulbadguy
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
My question is when did people decide that the iPhone was a decent gaming platform? Or even mediocre??? Without dedicated input buttons, you can't have very precise control which limits its gaming potential. I don't understand where all this iPhone gaming love is coming from.

Huge install base, and more and more people that aren't exactly gamers, becoming gamers, whom are easily pleased.

Basileus777
01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Huge install base, and more and more people that aren't exactly gamers, becoming gamers, whom are easily pleased.

Let's not get too elitist here. The DS probably has the best game library of any handheld ever made. I like my PSP and it is the superior hardware, but it doesn't exactly have a lot of games, and many of the good PSP games aren't exactly ideally suited for handhelds. The touchscreen also works pretty well for certain types of games.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
That UMD movie disc for the PSP was certainly a flop.

Saulbadguy
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Let's not get too elitist here. The DS probably has the best game library of any handheld ever made. I like my PSP and it is the superior hardware, but it doesn't exactly have a lot of games, and many of the good PSP games aren't exactly ideally suited for handhelds. The touchscreen also works pretty well for certain types of games.

I was talking about the iPhone.

Basileus777
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I was talking about the iPhone.

Apparently I can't read.

Guru
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Basileus777 is a Xbox fanboy so he obviously wasn't paying any attention to what you initially said.

JK Basileus :evil:

Basileus777
01-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Basileus777 is a Xbox fanboy so he obviously wasn't paying any attention to what you initially said.

JK Basileus :evil:

An Xbox fanboy who owns a PSP and was defending the DS? I'm more of PS3 skeptic than anything else. I have no particular antipathy for the Wii and I was a PS1/PS2 fan.

Guru
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
An Xbox fanboy who owns a PSP and was defending the DS? I'm more of PS3 skeptic than anything else. I have no particular antipathy for the Wii and I was a PS1/PS2 fan.Hey, I said JK. heh

I just like to give you shit since you like to speak down on the PS3. :evil:

Personally, I am very impressed with the iPod Touch and I despise iPod.