PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lions beat writer thinks there's ZERO chance they draft Stafford

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/01/kowalski_on_the_huge_show_tita.html

Click the audio link after the story and fast-forward to the 7:10 mark.

Detroit Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski thinks there is ZERO chance that Stafford will be the pick, and thinks it's a "coin-flip" that they take a QB at all.

According to him, the personnel guys he's spoken with feel that Stafford may end up being the 3rd QB taken if Sanchez declares.

Also, Jim Schwartz is the lead candidate for the Lions HC job.

Interesting listen from 7:00 on...

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
sweet....we can count on the lions

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
sweet....we can count on the lions

Assuming this guy isn't as clueless as Teicher...

the Talking Can
01-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Assuming this guy isn't as clueless as Teicher...

or that

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
He's probably just guessing like the guys around here do, I don't think the Lions would just tip their hand right away.

cdcox
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
If this is accurate, it increases the chances we get Stafford and decreases the chances we get Sanchez.

I'd rather have Sanchez, but if I could push a button right now to lock in Stafford, I would plunge it in a minute.

DeezNutz
01-07-2009, 11:09 PM
If all 3 QB's declare, there's an outside chance that they'd go 1, 2, 3.

That would be quite interesting.

Hoover
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm betting that if Pioli is our GM we will probably trade down a few spots to pick up some more picks. We are in the perfect spot if someone wants to trade up and grab a monster LT,.

Mecca

NOOOOO Bradford would be the one we would end up with.

RustShack

They talk about QB's going one two a lot and the other one almost always falls.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm betting that if Pioli is our GM we will probably trade down a few spots to pick up some more picks. We are in the perfect spot if someone wants to trade up and grab a monster LT,.

That would be fucking EPIC.

All these guys that are fawning over Pioli, then he goes and trades down, passing on a QB.

The proverbial shit would definitely hit the fan...

RustShack
01-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Pioli would want his Brady, and if there is any truth to Shanahan he would want his Elway/Cutler. I think Stafford or Sanchez would for sure be our pick at #3.

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:12 PM

The Patriots don't have a great history of trading down..especially in their building years..and the odds of someone wanting to come up is slim.

The one thing the Pats have always had in his time is a QB though...Bledsoe was the #1 overall and Brady was good as soon as he played and became great...

After missing the playoffs this year and how they had to change their offense around I think Pioli would seriously value the QB position.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:12 PM

Funny you mentioned that, this guy said the same thing.

Mentioned Stafford dropping like Rodgers did.

DeezNutz
01-07-2009, 11:13 PM
NOOOOO Bradford would be the one we would end up with.

Maybe, but not necessarily.

True, but we're talking about 3 teams with huge needs at the position. This isn't always the case.

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I still question if the Rams who promoted a in house guy would be ok with going for 130 million dollars of QB on the roster.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I think Pioli would want his Brady, and if there is any truth to Shanahan he would want his Elway/Cutler. I think Stafford or Sanchez would for sure be our pick at #3.

You realize that the HIGHEST the Patriots have selected a QB during Pioli's tenure was in the 3rd round, this year?

He's far from a lock to take a QB in R1.

RustShack
01-07-2009, 11:15 PM
You realize that the HIGHEST the Patriots have selected a QB during Pioli's tenure was in the 3rd round, this year?

He's far from a lock to take a QB in R1.

But they have always had a QB, something we don't have.

ChiefsCountry
Well Bledsoe and Brady have been in house the whole time.

cdcox
Well if all 3 come out and they don't go 1-2-3, someone is going to fall a looooooooong way. Just look at the draft order. I wonder if that will affect Sanchez's decision.

Tribal Warfare
Funny you mentioned that, this guy said the same thing.

Mentioned Stafford dropping like Rodgers did.

Like I said before , their is noway KC is passing on Stafford.

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Coming from an organization that has had one of the few elite QB's in the league would make you think one would value it. They've changed nearly every piece on the team but that one.

DeezNutz
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Well if all 3 come out and they don't go 1-2-3, someone is going to fall a looooooooong way. Just look at the draft order. I wonder if that will affect Sanchez's decision.

Someone will surprise, like Denver did with Cutler.

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM

What do you consider a long way....9? The 49ers sitting there would assuredly look at QB's.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I still question if the Rams who promoted a in house guy would be ok with going for 130 million dollars of QB on the roster.

It's been talked out a LOT here in STL...and keep in mind, that Devaney has only been with the organization for a year.

And everything I'm hearing is yes. But obviously, it's speculation. I asked my guy in-house last week, and he hasn't gotten back to me. And even he won't get a "straight" answer.

If they draft a QB, he'll sit for a year, and they'll be in a better position to dump Bulger's contract.

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I also know how much the Rams wanted Jake Long last year.....

These are 2 teams that could do almost anything, other than I will say I expect the Rams to take an offensive player after 3 straight D players taken in the top 20 picks.

OnTheWarpath58
01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I also know how much the Rams wanted Jake Long last year.....

These are 2 teams that could do almost anything, other than I will say I expect the Rams to take an offensive player after 3 straight D players taken in the top 20 picks.

Actually, according to my guy inside the organization, they were going defense regardless. It literally came down to the afternoon before the draft before they decided they were taking C. Long over Dorsey.

cdcox
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
What do you consider a long way....9? The 49ers sitting there would assuredly look at QB's.

Missed them when I was going down the list. I haven't paid too much attention to the '9ers in a while. I was thinking a QB could drop to the Bears at 14.

Hoover
01-07-2009, 11:39 PM
We could trade down 3 or 4 spots and still have a chance at a QB. Pioli will want picks, and while NE never had much luck, they never were drafting in the 3 hole with a bunch of LTs on the board.

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:39 PM
We could trade down 3 or 4 spots and still have a chance at a QB. Pioli will want picks, and while NE never had much luck, they never were drafting in the 3 hole with a bunch of LTs on the board.

Do you understand how ridiculously hard it is to move a pick in the top 5 let alone top 3?

cdcox
01-07-2009, 11:41 PM

You risk a team trading up to get your guy when you are talking about a FQB. The Bears would be a team that could give up a lot to grab one. If your guy is there, just take him.

Reerun_KC
01-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Do you understand how ridiculously hard it is to move a pick in the top 5 let alone top 3?

:clap:

People think this is Madden...

Mecca
01-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I think in this draft dropping down you run a risk of severely missing out....there is a major talent difference after the top couple of guys.

I mean really do you want to see the Chiefs drafting BJ Raji with the 10th pick?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM

Nolan is out. Depending on who comes in, they may look at Alex Smith again next year. It's awful early to throw away the #1 pick in the draft. The guy has had different coaches every year he's been in the league.

That said, I think he's a legitimate bust. He comes from Urban's gimmick offense and he's probably the single reason why Tim Tebow isn't even being considered for QB. It's still hard to just throw away all that money 3-4 years in.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I think in this draft dropping down you run a risk of severely missing out....there is a major talent difference after the top couple of guys.

I mean really do you want to see the Chiefs drafting BJ Raji with the 10th pick?

Damn it we need OL screw the QB position.

RustShack
01-07-2009, 11:53 PM

They drafted Seymore #6 during thier rebuild instead of trading down.

Mr. Flopnuts
Nolan is out. Depending on who comes in, they may look at Alex Smith again next year. It's awful early to throw away the #1 pick in the draft. The guy has had different coaches every year he's been in the league.

That said, I think he's a legitimate bust. He comes from Urban's gimmick offense and he's probably the single reason why Tim Tebow isn't even being considered for QB. It's still hard to just throw away all that money 3-4 years in.

Edit: I meant Martz is out.

cdcox
Damn it we need OL screw the QB position.

I'm with ya, brah. Thigpen has the gleem.

RustShack
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Croyle.

cdcox
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Croyle.

Not to mention Huard may be up for one more run at the 'ship! We're stacked at QB.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Quinn Gray started for the Jags, we got 4 starting quarterbacks!

Reerun_KC
01-07-2009, 11:59 PM

ROFL

Yeah he is a real gem, diamond in the rough kind of guy...

ROFL

RUSH
01-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry, but is anyone going to take a beat writer's word 4 months before the draft? No one has even worked out yet. This is just another opinion, just like the many that can be found on this site.

smittysbar
01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Love all the trade down bullshit, like it is just there if you decide to take it. WTF

smittysbar
01-08-2009, 12:09 AM
ROFL

Yeah he is a real gem, diamond in the rough kind of guy...

ROFL

Only if you jack hammered a diamond up his ass. :evil:

jjchieffan
01-08-2009, 12:25 AM
You know, everyone talks like if we draft Stafford, he comes in and starts day one. First of all, I think the new coach will have a lot to say about if we do that. Personally, I think the starting spot is Thigpen's to lose. Coming out a year early, Stafford could use a year holding a clipboard before he is just thrown to the wolves. Just because Ryan and Flacco came in and started day one with success does not mean Stafford will. Flacco was never intended to start day one, Injury and illness forced it to happen that way. He did benefit from a great D(which we don't have) to put less pressure on him to put up big numbers.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
They drafted Seymore #6 during thier rebuild instead of trading down.

I believe Stafford will pull an Elway/Eli if Bradford declares too. Due to the disarray with the Lions' franchise . It doesn't hurt he has hardcore connections too with KC. Hence, the signed Stafford Kansas City Chiefs' mini-helmet.This is indicative that KC is his team of choice. Which also tips the hand of the FO that they want him on the 2009 squad .

Count Alex's Wins
01-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Stafford has KC connections?

RustShack
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM

A scout that may or may not be retained is family friends with the Staffords.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM

One of the scouts is friends of the family plus the Hunt's and Stafford's are from Highland Park.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM

UGA’s Stafford, Moreno declare for NFL draft]UGA’s Stafford, Moreno declare for NFL draft (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/01/07/stafford_moreno.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21)
Both players are projected to be drafted in the first round according to analysts

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Consitution

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Athens — Georgia’s Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno announced today their intentions to enter the NFL draft. And with them exits 95.5 percent of the Bulldogs’ offense from this past season.

Stafford, a junior quarterback, and Moreno, a redshirt sophomore tailback, accounted for 5,291 of the Bulldogs 5,538 yards in offense in 2008. They also combined to account for nearly half (44) of the team’s 89 touchdowns with 26 and 18, respectively.

“Very tough decision,” Moreno said. “I went home, talked to family members about the pros and cons of leaving. I came to the decision to leave early to pursue my career in the NFL. It’s a life-long dream. It’s been awesome coming to Athens. It’s like a second home to me.”

“After the (bowl) game I got pretty emotional thinking about what I’m going to do,” Stafford said. “It was a tough decision, but I’m going to go to the NFL. Like Knowshon, it’s also a lifelong dream for me.

“Glad I got to wear the ‘G’ on my helmet, and represent the university as best I could.”

College underclassmen have until January 15 to file paperwork with the NFL declaring themselves eligible for the draft. But with classes scheduled to resume Thursday and recruiting ongoing, the two players opted to move up their decisions and go ahead and make them public.

“I’m proud of these guys,” coach Mark Richt said. “Great representation for their families and family names. They’ve blessed our program. I hope that we’ve blessed them.”

Both players are projected first-rounders, according to numerous NFL draft analysts. Stafford said that, according to information from the NFL’s draft advisory panel, he is likely to be selected in the first round. Moreno said he missed the deadline to send his paperwork to the advisors.

Georgia players were disappointed but understood their teammates’ decisions.

“I still think we’ll have a great team next season with them or without them,” said sophomore offensive tackle Trinton Sturdivant. “I’m proud of them both and wish them all the luck in the world. I wish I had another year to block for them but it’s all good. We’re going to move on.”

Stafford set a school record with 25 passing touchdowns this past season. He threw for 3,459 yards this past season and has 7,731 yards with 51 TDs and 33 interceptions in three seasons. He was named MVP of the Capital One Bowl last week with 250 yards passing and three TDs.

Moreno, a redshirt sophomore, had 1,400 yards rushing and 18 TDs this past season. He has 2,734 yards rushing in two seasons as the Bulldogs’ featured tailback. That total is the fourth-best career total in Georgia history.

Stafford said that he and Moreno didn’t discuss leaving too much before playing in the Capital One bowl game against Michigan State. He said during the press conference that he had decided before the game that he was likely going to go pro, despite saying numerous times throughout December that he hadn’t given much thought to leaving.

Stafford said he leaned heavily on the advice of his numerous NFL contacts. John Stafford, Matthew’s father, said his son consulted the Kansas City Chiefs’ Mike Hagen, a friend of the family, as well as neighbor Troy Aikman and current NFL quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler about his decision. He also talked to Richt and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo at Georgia.

“He’s gotten input about what it’s like, what to expect and everything else from those guys,” John Stafford said. “I’ve done my best to try to get him those kinds of contacts with those kinds of folks that have actually been involved in something to help him figure out what he wants to do. My role really was just to try to do that, to get him as much input as possible number one. And then number two really to help him go through the thought process, make sure he was looking at it both ways and look at the different areas and make sure he wasn’t getting too much weight from one point or the other. But I’ve always stated it’s up to him, it’s what he wants to do.”

Moreno visited with family and friends back in New Jersey and leaned heavily on the advice of his former high school coach, Steve Antonucci.

Stafford’s and Moreno’s defections leave Georgia with a question mark at quarterback and running back for the 2009 season.

Joe Cox, whom Richt said is the No. 1 quarterback on the depth chart, has been mostly a backup the past three seasons, but will likely enter the spring as the player to beat. Richt compared Cox to former quarterback D.J. Shockley, who was a team leader as a sub before becoming the starter as a senior.

“His senior year has taken on a whole new light,” Richt said.

Cox will likely be challenged by incoming freshmen Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger, as well as Logan Gray.

Several players will compete to take over Moreno’s spot, including Caleb King and Richard Samuel.

They will benefit from playing behind an offensive line that gained a lot of experience this season.

the Talking Can
01-08-2009, 05:40 AM

....just reading the news makes one smarter than the staff at wpi....

Pablo
01-08-2009, 07:18 AM
You know, everyone talks like if we draft Stafford, he comes in and starts day one. First of all, I think the new coach will have a lot to say about if we do that. Personally, I think the starting spot is Thigpen's to lose. Coming out a year early, Stafford could use a year holding a clipboard before he is just thrown to the wolves. Just because Ryan and Flacco came in and started day one with success does not mean Stafford will. Flacco was never intended to start day one, Injury and illness forced it to happen that way. He did benefit from a great D(which we don't have) to put less pressure on him to put up big numbers.If we draft him at #3 and pay him something like $60 million, I guarantee everyone from the top to the bottom of the organization is gonna want him to start from Day 1. He's the most important investment in franchise history at that point, and it's almost guaranteed that he'll be the undisputed starter, taking snaps from behind center in training camp and beyond.

Thigpen is a nice little story and all, but we wouldn't have any serious money invested in the guy, so coaches might use the nifty little catch phrase, "We'll let them compete in camp for the starting spot", but Stafford would have to break his arm to be benched...

Kerberos
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM

:LOL: Stop it... You're killing me here. ROFL

got a little coffee on my notebook after reading that.

El Jefe
01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
He's probably just guessing like the guys around here do, I don't think the Lions would just tip their hand right away.

If they tip their hand, what do they have to lose at this point? Unless they really want to trade out of the first spot and make other teams think they might take their top choice, they have no reason to throw smoke signals. Like the Texans did with Mario Williams, the only factor right now is the extremely large amount of time from now till the draft arrives. So seeing as there is still so much time, all the combine and draft workouts, shoot we haven't even seen the senior Bowl, you could be right.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2009, 09:29 AM
That would be fucking EPIC.

All these guys that are fawning over Pioli, then he goes and trades down, passing on a QB.

The proverbial shit would definitely hit the fan...

Die ..... preferably in a fire

StcChief
01-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm betting that if Pioli is our GM we will probably trade down a few spots to pick up some more picks. We are in the perfect spot if someone wants to trade up and grab a monster LT,.exactly.
we need alot of help.

Brock
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Didn't Nick tell you, or is he saving it for his next blog entry?

Mecca
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
You know, everyone talks like if we draft Stafford, he comes in and starts day one. First of all, I think the new coach will have a lot to say about if we do that. Personally, I think the starting spot is Thigpen's to lose. Coming out a year early, Stafford could use a year holding a clipboard before he is just thrown to the wolves. Just because Ryan and Flacco came in and started day one with success does not mean Stafford will. Flacco was never intended to start day one, Injury and illness forced it to happen that way. He did benefit from a great D(which we don't have) to put less pressure on him to put up big numbers.

Considering Stafford has more under center experience than Thigpen does and the odds of a new coach doing the spread for Thigpen are nill...I'm not so sure that Stafford couldn't frankly beat out Thigpen.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
That would be ****ing EPIC.

The proverbial shit would definitely hit the fan...Yes. I'd be fucking furious.

keg in kc
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
He's probably just guessing like the guys around here do, I don't think the Lions would just tip their hand right away.I doubt the lions even have a hand to tip at this point. It's january fucking 8th.

OnTheWarpath58
01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I doubt the lions even have a hand to tip at this point. It's january fucking 8th.

This.

Jesus, people, it's an opinion.

It would be no different than if Teicher said that he thought there was ZERO chance we drafted him with our pick.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
You know, everyone talks like if we draft Stafford, he comes in and starts day one. First of all, I think the new coach will have a lot to say about if we do that. Personally, I think the starting spot is Thigpen's to lose. Coming out a year early, Stafford could use a year holding a clipboard before he is just thrown to the wolves. Just because Ryan and Flacco came in and started day one with success does not mean Stafford will. Flacco was never intended to start day one, Injury and illness forced it to happen that way. He did benefit from a great D(which we don't have) to put less pressure on him to put up big numbers.You may be right, but no way will he keep it. If we spend the 3rd overall on a QB, you can bet the O will fit the draftee. Thigs done in that regard...

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
OUCH! LMAO

Kerberos
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Didn't Nick tell you, or is he saving it for his next blog entry?

Would that be in the "Premium" content?