PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Smoltz to Red Sox

Frazod
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Just reported on ESPNews.

The wife is pissed.

Bill Parcells
01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
He's like 100 years old. what are they gonna use him as? a reliever?

Demonpenz
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
How much. where the F was dayton on this (if he was in the 3 mil range) I don't know how much he has left but we need someone people have heard about at the k

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Rays > Sox > Yanks

Gonzo
01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Rays > Sox > Yanks

Phillies> Rays> Sox> Royals> Yanks :D

Frazod
01-08-2009, 01:31 PM

No idea. No figures released yet. He is still rehabbing, but if he comes back he'd make a very effective reliever.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Phillies> Rays> Sox> Royals> Yanks :D

We'll see if Burrell helps. ;)

RUSH
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Rays > Sox > Yanks

You can't be serious. It's going to be a hell of a battle, but when the Yankees are healthy the Rays and Sox cannot compare. It's gonna be a great year in baseball

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
You can't be serious. It's going to be a hell of a battle, but when the Yankees are healthy the Rays and Sox cannot compare. It's gonna be a great year in baseball

LMAO

MIAdragon
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
How much. where the F was dayton on this (if he was in the 3 mil range) I don't know how much he has left but we need someone people have heard about at the k

its 5mil with incentives. Itís a great pick up, the guys coming off an injury and is 41 but is in great shape. I can see him being quite competitive for at least 2 more years.

The Sox also signed Rocco Baldelli.

MIAdragon
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM

LMAO

DaKCMan AP

This was expected. Hopefully he can get his health problems behind him.

MIAdragon
Rays > Sox > Yanks

Wanna have a sig bet :)

MIAdragon
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
This was expected. Hopefully he can get his health problems behind him.

I agree, only a 1 year deal but he's a great fit for the Sox.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Wanna have a sig bet :)

We'll see. It's January.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Smoltz got 5 million plus.

His arm will fall off before he hits 100 innings. 40 year olds with shoulder injuries do not come back. Find me a single example of it and I'll be surprised (see Schilling, Curt).

This is the kind of thing the Bosox can do and the rest of the league shouldn't.

MIAdragon
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
We'll see. It's January.

This is the best time.

MIAdragon
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM

His arm will fall off before he hits 100 innings. 40 year olds with shoulder injuries do not come back. Find me a single example of it and I'll be surprised (see Schilling, Curt).

This is the kind of thing the Bosox can do and the rest of the league shouldn't.

100 innings out of the Pen would be fine with me.

Demonpenz
01-08-2009, 01:58 PM
its 5mil with incentives. Itís a great pick up, the guys coming off an injury and is 41 but is in great shape. I can see him being quite competitive for at least 2 more years.

damn I like rocco, even though he isn't going to ever be the player once was he will be good. He is in year 5 with the royals in mvp 2005 he is hitting the shit out of the bizzal

Frazod
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Trevor Hoffman went to the goddamn Brewers, too. :cuss:

DJ's left nut
01-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Trevor Hoffman went to the goddamn Brewers, too. :cuss:

Thank god.

A) It saves the Cardinals from themselves. I could just see them having Hoffman out there throwing 84 mph fastballs to set up his 82 mph changeup b/c that asshat LaRussa demands a veteran closer (nevermind Motte, Perez, Kinney and McClement could do it and we still don't have a ML 2bman or 5th starter).

B) It keeps Villanueva out of that role. That dude was nasty in the 'pen, I was not looking forward to him getting a crack at the 9th. He reminds me a lot of Francisco Cordero and that dude isn't someone I'd want to face with the game on the line at all.

C) It keeps Joe Torre from being a moron and bumping Broxton from the closer spot...thus saving my Dynasty team.

Short Leash Hootie
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Every time he's been written off...he comes back and continues dominance.

For $5.5M (with incentives he could be paid up to $10M), I think it's EASILY worth the risk.

MIAdragon
01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Every time he's been written off...he comes back and continues dominance.

For $5.5M (with incentives he could be paid up to $10M), I think it's EASILY worth the risk.

I hear he keeps himself in amazing shape and is very healthy. I love this signing!

Fruit Ninja
01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Curt didnt have surgery though. He tried to rehab it after the doctors told him to shut it down. He thought rest would fix it even after he was told it wouldnt. Its a wrong example to use.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Curt didnt have surgery though. He tried to rehab it after the doctors told him to shut it down. He thought rest would fix it even after he was told it wouldnt. Its a wrong example to use.

Okay, so find me an example of a 40+ year old pitcher returning from shoulder surgery. If there are any, I'd imagine that pitcher had to totally reinvent himself from power pitcher to junker and/or knuckleballer.

It's not a gamble anyone outside of NY and Boston can afford to take. It's a bad risk, but not one that hurts the teams playing with monopoly money.

Baseball needs a cap.

Fruit Ninja
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Okay, so find me an example of a 40+ year old pitcher returning from shoulder surgery. If there are any, I'd imagine that pitcher had to totally reinvent himself from power pitcher to junker and/or knuckleballer.

It's not a gamble anyone outside of NY and Boston can afford to take. It's a bad risk, but not one that hurts the teams playing with monopoly money.

Baseball needs a cap.

I was just correcting your example is all. I still think its a decent signing for Boston. THey didn't invest to much. yes 5 million is alot to the rest of us, but for baseball folks, its not a big risk.

I think Smoltz will be fine. I think when he went to the pen for a few years, that helped his arm alot. Anyways, only time will tell. He's got 5 million though, so i am sure he's ok.

MIAdragon
06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Smoltz will make his first start for the Sox Thursday 7:05 against the Nationals.

EyePod
06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
This fucking blows. I'm a huge Braves fan, was pissed at the Braves for not re-signing him, and I was hoping that he wouldn't pitch for the BlowSox. This is going to be a sad Thursday. And the Braves just finished off a series with them too... too bad it wasn't against his old team.

EyePod
06-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh, and the reason I wanted that to happen was that Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine would all be eligible for the HoF and would most likely all get inducted. :(

Coach
06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Oh, and the reason I wanted that to happen was that Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine would all be eligible for the HoF and would most likely all get inducted. :(

Maddux is a lock. Glavine should be in the HOF. Smoltz is a interesting topic though.

Amnorix
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Maddux is a lock. Glavine should be in the HOF. Smoltz is a interesting topic though.

He has 210 wins and 154 saves, with a Cy Young and six All Star selections. I think he's a shoo-in. Not first ballot like Maddux, but definitely a HOFer.

Amnorix
06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
This fucking blows. I'm a huge Braves fan, was pissed at the Braves for not re-signing him, and I was hoping that he wouldn't pitch for the BlowSox. This is going to be a sad Thursday. And the Braves just finished off a series with them too... too bad it wasn't against his old team.

Schuerholtz (or whatever his name is) told one of his players who was disappointed they didn't sign him that they would have been happy to pay him the same as what Boston paid him to pitch.

But they couldn't afford to take the risk of paying him and NOT having him pitch.

And that is why MLB is a complete joke. The salary imbalances are beyond absurd.

blaise
06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Schuerholtz (or whatever his name is) told one of his players who was disappointed they didn't sign him that they would have been happy to pay him the same as what Boston paid him to pitch.

But they couldn't afford to take the risk of paying him and NOT having him pitch.

And that is why MLB is a complete joke. The salary imbalances are beyond absurd.

I don't buy that though. I think if it's John Smoltz the Braves can afford whatever the Red Sox can. It's not like the Braves are the Pirates or the Royals.