PDA

View Full Version : News Study guides for Praxis II

The Bad Guy
01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I have to take a Praxis II fundamental subjects test (code 0511) this weekend. I've taken the practice exam online. I'm wondering if anyone has taken it, and how hard was it?

I'm licensed to teach in VA, but since I'm moving back to PA, I have to follow their rules for licensure.

I've been trying to find more practice tests. I took the one on the ETS website and scored pretty well.

Does anyone have any resources for this (I know this is a massive, massive stretch, but thought I'd ask).

Thanks in advance.

Buehler445
01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Wife took it and did OK without much preparation. I'm sure you'll be fine.

kstater
01-08-2009, 07:15 PM
What does Praxis II give certification for?

the Talking Can
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I have to take a Praxis II fundamental subjects test (code 0511) this weekend. I've taken the practice exam online. I'm wondering if anyone has taken it, and how hard was it?

I'm licensed to teach in VA, but since I'm moving back to PA, I have to follow their rules for licensure.

I've been trying to find more practice tests. I took the one on the ETS website and scored pretty well.

Does anyone have any resources for this (I know this is a massive, massive stretch, but thought I'd ask).

Thanks in advance.

most public libraries will have study books in print, and some online as e-books...call your library...

The Bad Guy
01-08-2009, 07:29 PM
What does Praxis II give certification for?

PA requires it for the Fundamental Content Areas test to get certified as a special education teacher.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
My wife is a teacher and took it when she was a senior in college like 10 years ago.

She thought it was hard.....

Coach
01-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Praxis tests really suck. Had to do Reading, Writing, and Math, if I am not mistaken. I have talked to some students, and they rather not choose education because of some dumb test.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Praxis tests really suck. Had to do Reading, Writing, and Math, if I am not mistaken. I have talked to some students, and they rather not choose education because of some dumb test.

Yeah, that's the Praxis I.

I failed that the first time because Virginia's passing cumulative score is about 9 points higher than most states. Thankfully, I passed the second time.

Coach
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, that's the Praxis I.

I failed that the first time because Virginia's passing cumulative score is about 9 points higher than most states. Thankfully, I passed the second time.

Same here. Although, I am one of the people who feel that the Praxis serves zero purpose, costs a little too much, and it's like, I went through college and got my education from college. That should be good enough.

I wonder if they will finally drop it once the demand for new teachers set new record highs......

Buck
01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Praxis? We talkin bout Praxis? Not a game, but Praxis.

C'mon Man, Praxis?

NewChief
01-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Very easy. The PLT is the one that sucks.

Edit:
I had to take the Praxis subject area tests. With the licensure that I did, I could get a license for any area where I could pass the test. I picked up a license in Drama/Speech (even though my background in those areas is weak as hell) just by taking the test and in order to broaden my appeal. I'm a good test taker, though. Anyway, I found the test to be pretty easy. That being said, I have a friend who is trying to pass the Biology test for the second time currently.

The Praxis II PLT (Principles of Learning and Teaching) sucks, just because there is a lot of writing on it and there is very little time to complete that writing.

userdavid77
11-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Has anyone taken the Praxis-Subject Area Language Arts? I'm going to take it this summer and am looking for some study tips or just tips in general. I'm pretty worried about it because it's apparently hard. So if anyone has suggestions let me know. I do get to take a online course and praxis study guides that helping me with it, especially reviewing some of the grammar stuff. I do really, really well with flashcards for studying so I'm hopeful that I can study that way.

1moreTRich
11-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Has anyone taken the Praxis-Subject Area Language Arts? I'm going to take it this summer and am looking for some study tips or just tips in general. I'm pretty worried about it because it's apparently hard. So if anyone has suggestions let me know. I do get to take a online course and praxis study guides that helping me with it, especially reviewing some of the grammar stuff. I do really, really well with flashcards for studying so I'm hopeful that I can study that way.

My Husband took the test in 2010, he used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471785067/ref=wms_ohs_product for prep. IIRC, he said that there was a lot of literature references so it was a good thing he was an avid reader. I will ask him tonight and try and get a little more detail.

NewChief
11-03-2011, 08:36 AM

It's been a while, so I don't remember a lot about it. I got a meritorious pass on it, but I have an MA in English Literature. It was very, very easy compared to the GRE for English Literature.