PDA

View Full Version : Football Fox Announcers and the Refs

Bootlegged
01-09-2009, 08:30 AM
What a perfect combination of crap. If the play by play guy wasn't choking on Tebow's sperm, he was getting the down wrong. And the refs...just wow.

blaise
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
The announcing and direction was awful:
There was an unsportsmanlike conduct call against #95 on Florida. No replay.
There was a point where Oklahoma players claimed a Florida player kicked the ball to slow down the OU hurry up offense. No replay.
There was a point when a Florida player did something over on the OU sideline after a play and all the players and coaches were acting like there should be a flag. They didn't show it or mention it.
They're so busy with the stupid picture-in-picture and showing Tebow on the sideline they miss half the stuff.
And whichever guy it was that kept saying things like, "You know a guy named Big Mo? You don't want Big Mo being friends with the other team."
Shut. Up. Idiot. Jackass.

DaFace
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I eventually muted the game it was so bad.

blaise
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
That referee last night had the most precise hand gestures I've ever seen. It was like a robot or something. He was so emphatic. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was funny to watch.

John_Wayne
01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I almost never comment on the announcers. But, those guys were horrible. And, I did notice a lack of replays. It didn't feel like a national championship game. It just felt like another bowl game.

Chief Henry
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Those announcers were not grade A thats for sure. The standards FOX sports has given us over the years were NOT present last night thats for sure. The spotters in the booth might have been f'n with them !!!

Bootlegged
01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
How the ref missed the FL guy kicking the ball to slow down the snap is beyond me. Just pathetic.

jspchief
01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I thought Fox's coverage of the OSU vs Texas game was awful too. How can a network that handles nearly 50% of NFL games be so f'ing awful at covering college games?

Nixhex
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Horrible presentation. They were blowing Tebow like Madden does Favre.

smittysbar
01-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Chris Rose on the pre game drives me up a wall

EyePod
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I loved the consecutive "they're going to rush the qb now" calls... and then both times Florida dropped back 8. That was great.

Agent V
01-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Towards the end of the game, Tebow had a flag thrown on him. The announcer said something like, "Well, that's probably the only mistake he's made in his entire life."

Or the comment at the beginning of the game, "If you sit down and talk to Tebow for 15 minutes, your life is better."

blaise
01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I though when they said Tebow made Ghandi look like a selfish jackass jerk it went a little too far.

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I loved the consecutive "they're going to rush the qb now" calls... and then both times Florida dropped back 8. That was great.

ROFL, that was so funny, REP for reminding me of that. Overall it was just an awfully done game. The unsportmans like conduct on 95 was because he took his helmet off and was celebrating after making a tackle, yet they wouldn't show the replay. Florida kicks the ball to stop the hurry up from OU, and the Ref's didn't notice, and the guys never even let us see a replay. There was a part where a Florida guy tackled an OU player on OU's side, and shoved one of the coaches and there was no replay, it was horrible. They were sucking Tebow's Johnson the entire night, it was horrible to listen to. There was no question who they favored in this game, I was going to puke if they called Tebow Superman one more time. Not to mention, Mr. Roboto and his overly mechanical gestures, whenever he made a call.

Demonpenz
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
what I have been hearing is it was a let down that oklahoma was in it, everyone mailed in their preformance once usc wasn't going to be selected. Just not a game you have to be your best, seen it before and we will see it again

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I though when they said Tebow made Ghandi look like a selfish jackass jerk it went a little too far.

Or when they said Tebow does his yoga after he does his one mile of walking on water, to stretch himself out.

blaise
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
When the one guy said Tebow made Martin Luther King look like a baby killer I just had to turn off the sound.

Bob Dole
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I eventually muted the game it was so bad.

There are distinct advantages to watching the game at a crowded bar. (Even if it is packed to the brim with baby-shit-orange-wearing Longhorn fans.)

RockChalk
01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
The bowl coverage for FOX has been terrible the past few years. Nothing is more awkward than having Switzer and Johnson sit next to each other in pregame and pretend to be friends.

As for the game...the announcers were terrible and could only focus on how Tebow single-handedly rescued all of the survivors of 9/11. They missed serveral questionable calls and did not show any replays of these. I thought the officials were slightly on Florida's side, but it didn't impact the outcome. The only thing I really was upset about was the OU receiver that got flagged for taunting (I believe he signaled a first down in the face of a UF player), yet Tebow goes berserk after every 5 yard run and screams in OU faces, but gets no flags for taunting. It has to go both ways.

BigChiefFan
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Superman? I call bullshit. The announcers sucked ass.

Nixhex
01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
When the announcer said Tim Tebow once ate an entire ream of rice paper and shat out origami swans and Mister Miyagi from Karate Kid.

I hit the mute button.

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
When the one guy said Tebow made Martin Luther King look like a baby killer I just had to turn off the sound.

Well, I turned the sound off after he said Tebow beat Chuck Norris in a staring contest.

DaKCMan AP
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
The bowl coverage for FOX has been terrible the past few years. Nothing is more awkward than having Switzer and Johnson sit next to each other in pregame and pretend to be friends.

As for the game...the announcers were terrible and could only focus on how Tebow single-handedly rescued all of the survivors of 9/11. They missed serveral questionable calls and did not show any replays of these. I thought the officials were slightly on Florida's side, but it didn't impact the outcome. The only thing I really was upset about was the OU receiver that got flagged for taunting (I believe he signaled a first down in the face of a UF player), yet Tebow goes berserk after every 5 yard run and screams in OU faces, but gets no flags for taunting. It has to go both ways.

Um, it was the Florida receiver (Louis Murphy) who got flagged for taunting by signaling first down, not an OU receiver.

morphius
01-09-2009, 09:35 AM
It was pretty pathetic, and that is an obvious delay of game call for kicking the ball that they all somehow fell asleep on. Of course in the first half when they had to stop the game a few times when OU was about to hike the ball to reset the game clock was pretty pathetic and a nice little help to Florida as well. Of course I figured it was going to be an ugly game for the Sooners when the safety lit up the WR on the first drive of the game, and guys on the sideline were allowed to dance above the guy and that the defender should have been flagged for PI since he hit the WR then the ball went off the back of his helmet.

Of course Oklohoma had their chances to win the game and still fell flat on their face.

The whole Superman thing over and over was rediculous, especially with the stupid decisions he made under pressure. The guy could have easily had 4 INTs that game. Announcers bought what they were hearing from the Florida team, and figured they spent all their time preparing for that outcome.

El Jefe
I heard Tebow has solved the world hunger problem, but he doesn't think we deserve it yet.

Nixhex
I couldn't believe it when they said Tebow is what Willis was talking about.

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Um, it was the Florida receiver (Louis Murphy) who got flagged for taunting by signaling first down, not an OU receiver.

You're correct. You have to admit, Tebow acts like some ADD kid on Crack, jumping around and yelling like some caged monkey. I think he is annoying as hell, yet he does it all the time, and he doesn't get flagged?

BigChiefFan
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
It was pretty pathetic, and that is an obvious delay of game call for kicking the ball that they all somehow fell asleep on. Of course in the first half when they had to stop the game a few times when OU was about to hike the ball to reset the game clock was pretty pathetic and a nice little help to Florida as well. Of course I figured it was going to be an ugly game for the Sooners when the safety lit up the WR on the first drive of the game, and guys on the sideline were allowed to dance above the guy and that the defender should have been flagged for PI since he hit the WR then the ball went off the back of his helmet.

Of course Oklohoma had their chances to win the game and still fell flat on their face.

The whole Superman thing over and over was rediculous, especially with the stupid decisions he made under pressure. The guy could have easily had 4 INTs that game. Announcers bought what they were hearing from the Florida team, and figured they spent all their time preparing for that outcome.Yep. Did anyone else also notice how the clock kept running on 1st downs for OU? Watch around the 7:30 mark and it's blatantly obvious.

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I couldn't believe it when they said Tebow is what Willis was talking about.

ROFL, oh man, that one made me giggle.

RockChalk
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM

My bad. I missed a few plays during the game and was told by the people watching at my place that an OU receiver had been flagged for that. I took them at their word, but they had been drinking heavily, so probably a mistake there.

I still hate Tim Tebow :D

Congrats at your win though. Florida is having quite an impressive run in the last 5 years. 2 Basketball Championships and 2 Football Championships is pretty damn sweet.

DaKCMan AP
01-09-2009, 09:40 AM
My bad. I missed a few plays during the game and was told by the people watching at my place that an OU receiver had been flagged for that. I took them at their word, but they had been drinking heavily, so probably a mistake there.

I still hate Tim Tebow :D

Congrats at your win though. Florida is having quite an impressive run in the last 5 years. 2 Basketball Championships and 2 Football Championships is pretty damn sweet.

Thanks, it has been amazing. 4 National Championships in a span of 33 months.

Rooster
Chris Rose on the pre game drives me up a wall

I know. How the hell is that guy working for FOX in that capacity? Just terrible all the way around I thought.

DaKCMan AP
You're correct. You have to admit, Tebow acts like some ADD kid on Crack, jumping around and yelling like some caged monkey. I think he is annoying as hell, yet he does it all the time, and he doesn't get flagged?

I can understand why opposing fans would get annoyed by it, but his jumping up and down and waving his arms isn't taunting. There's a difference between selfish self-promotion and getting the crowd pumped up.

HolyHandgernade
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I thought the game seemed very disjointed, had no flow to it until the second half, most of that seemed like uncertainty by the referees. The announcers were awful. Stoops didn't do his team any favors, however. His play calling was atrocious, it seemed like the coaching staff took too long settling on a play, negating their fast paced attack. The times they did score seemed like the times they set the ball down and went. But, I can stand seeing the team I'm rooting for not win, but the refs and announcers made the production unenjoyable, especially the first half.

-HH

El Jefe
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
I thought the game seemed very disjointed, had no flow to it until the second half, most of that seemed like uncertainty by the referees. The announcers were awful. Stoops didn't do his team any favors, however. His play calling was atrocious, it seemed like the coaching staff took too long settling on a play, negating their fast paced attack. The times they did score seemed like the times they set the ball down and went. But, I can stand seeing the team I'm rooting for not win, but the refs and announcers made the production unenjoyable, especially the first half.

-HH

THIS.

Bearcat
01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I've heard bad things about Fox before and never really noticed, but last night was awful. The "they should go for it..." "Yeah, go go go go!!" on 3rd down, lack of replays, the OU Next Play clock that ran up to 30 seconds every time it was on the screen, etc.

OTOH, I thought the guys on the NFL Network that did the KU/Minnesota game were really good... they did their homework and seemed to know where the ball was going before every play.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2009, 10:03 AM
terrible

i thought at one point after the announce said "tebow is the greatest leader in college football" that they were going to break into Kumbaya.

Kumbaya my bow, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my bow, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my bow, Kumbaya
O Tebow Kumbaya

blaise
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
When they made Tebow Valentine's Day cards with construction paper, glitter and glue I couldn't believe it.

Rooster
01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
When they made Tebow Valentine's Day cards with construction paper, glitter and glue I couldn't believe it.

ROFLROFL They turned out really nice though.

Baby Lee
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
When they said Kate should dump Jack AND Sawyer for Tebow, I was through.

ZootedGranny
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
The best thing was Tom Brennaman bowing at the altar of Tebow the entire night, spewing hyperbole at every turn, and then saying "...[that] might be the single most ridiculous statement anyone has ever uttered" in regards to the "Tebow is the 4th best QB" comment.

Motherfucker, YOU'VE uttered a more ridiculous statement within the past three hours!

BigCatDaddy
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM

-HH

THis is the type of crap you get when you give everyone 6 six weeks between games. It felt like an preseason exhibition game. Refs, announcers, and players are looked sloppy.

PastorMikH
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
There was a lot of Tebo hype last night, but after watching the game, he did earn it IMO. He made mistakes but he led his team to a win.

As for the reffing, Murry being out hurt OU more than the reffing. I sure wished Murry had been able to play.

Dayze
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought Fox's coverage of the OSU vs Texas game was awful too. How can a network that handles nearly 50% of NFL games be so f'ing awful at covering college games?

yep; and it seemed every time they had the chance, a random sideline camera behind the bench would zoom in on the Gatorade logo on the water cooler; or the Niki logo on a visor etc.

or, return from commercial with the announcers talking for 15 seconds etc, whilst a Ford logo is literally taking up the entire screen.

awful.

BigChiefFan
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Why the fuck didn't Stoops have his team kick the FG on 4th down? That was beyond stupid.

BigCatDaddy
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Why the **** didn't Stoops have his team kick the FG on 4th down? That was beyond stupid.

I like the call to go for it. I don't like the handoffs to the RB on both downs. Just take 2 QB sneaks with your 6'4 QB from 1 and take your 7.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Why the fuck didn't Stoops have his team kick the FG on 4th down? That was beyond stupid.
hard to blame him considering they were running the ball so well at that time.

they were gaining 6/7 yrds a pop until that point

it they make it, they go up by 7 pts and take control of the game.

stoops was pretty bad last night, but that decision was understandable imo

blaise
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I thought another bad call was the run off tackle on 3rd and 1 when they lost 4 yards. The play right before the blocked field goal. (There was no way that field goal was going to work.) I thought that should have been two-down territory and they should have gone play action pass or an inside run on third. Not off tackle where you can lose yards.

TrebMaxx
01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
They really need to get Tebow over to the middle east. All this Israeli - Palestinian thing could be fixed in a couple of Tebow minutes.

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Tebow has earned it. A Hesiman, 2 NCs - next year a possible 2 Hesiman and 3rd NC. The guy is a hell of a college player, if he was one of the local Big 12 players all you guys would be going nuts if they didnt slob his knob.

blaise
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Tebow has earned it. A Hesiman, 2 NCs - next year a possible 2 Hesiman and 3rd NC. The guy is a hell of a college player, if he was one of the local Big 12 players all you guys would be going nuts if they didnt slob his knob.

Tim Tebow had you at hello.

ChiefGator
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
i thought at one point after the announce said "tebow is the greatest leader in college football" that they were going to break into

I actually really did think they were going to say "Tebow is the greatest leader in college football history". I really did think they were going to say it.

Terrible officiating and terrible coverage.

Great result though... :-)

morphius
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
hard to blame him considering they were running the ball so well at that time.

they were gaining 6/7 yrds a pop until that point

it they make it, they go up by 7 pts and take control of the game.

stoops was pretty bad last night, but that decision was understandable imo
The only thing that amazes me is how many teams bring 11 men in the box and then try to run it, when spreading them out is working so well. Then repeat the mistake over and over throughout the game.

shaneo69
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I was expecting FOX to at least give us Joe Buck for the national championship. No dice. Why bid on the BCS package when you're going to use announcers and a studio team that never do college games (or football games)? Ridiculous. They could've at least used the FoxSports studio guys and announcers like Barry what's his name and Petros Popsodoukis that do the Pac-10 games during the season.

My buddy who watched the game with me showed me a YouTube clip of last night's ref Ron Cherry doing an ACC game awhile back and calling a penalty on an offensive lineman "for giving the guy the business". Have you guys heard about that?

OnTheWarpath58
01-09-2009, 12:58 PM

THIS.

CO-SIGNED.

AGREED.

WHAT HE SAID.

OnTheWarpath58
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I was expecting FOX to at least give us Joe Buck for the national championship. No dice. Why bid on the BCS package when you're going to use announcers and a studio team that never do college games (or football games)? Ridiculous. They could've at least used the FoxSports studio guys and announcers like Barry what's his name and Petros Popsodoukis that do the Pac-10 games during the season.

My buddy who watched the game with me showed me a YouTube clip of last night's ref Ron Cherry doing an ACC game awhile back and calling a penalty on an offensive lineman "for giving the guy the business". Have you guys heard about that?

Yeah, it was pretty damn funny.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6D8aAC4jrPM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6D8aAC4jrPM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dj56dt58
01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
sounds like I should have had the volume up...

I did see on the caption on the bottom of the screen that they were talking about Tebow sucking all the magma out of yellowstone saving the entire world

morphius
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Actually I prefer to hear about the game, not how so and so it the greatest player ever. It is so painful to listen to in any game, seems like every game has the best QB/WR/TE/RB ever to play the game. All I can think of is that the announcer is just lazy and would rather focus on this guy than try to learn anything.

DaFace
01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I mentioned this in the game thread, but I made the greatest discovery ever yesterday. On many newer televisions, you may have the option to switch to the SAP (second audio program) setting for your audio. In many cases, that audio feed is used for Spanish-language programming when it's available. However, for a lot of live sports, the feed just has crowd noise with no commentators at all. It's a whole new way to watch games.

In my particular case, the Comcast cable box had a language setting in there that let me change to the Spanish channel. Glorious.

Bob Dole
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
They really need to get Tebow over to the middle east. All this Israeli - Palestinian thing could be fixed in a couple of Tebow minutes.

For the record, those are called Timmutes.

KCFalcon59
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Yep. Did anyone else also notice how the clock kept running on 1st downs for OU? Watch around the 7:30 mark and it's blatantly obvious.

I saw that and my brother called me and pointed it out too.

morphius
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I mentioned this in the game thread, but I made the greatest discovery ever yesterday. On many newer televisions, you may have the option to switch to the SAP (second audio program) setting for your audio. In many cases, that audio feed is used for Spanish-language programming when it's available. However, for a lot of live sports, the feed just has crowd noise with no commentators at all. It's a whole new way to watch games.

In my particular case, the Comcast cable box had a language setting in there that let me change to the Spanish channel. Glorious.
Seems like I may have something to play with this weekend.

Cornstock
01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I agree it was bad, but I watched a rerun of the Texas v USC Rose Bowl a couple days ago, and Keith Jackson was absolutely terrible. The guys yesterday were geniuses compared to Jackson. Next time that game is on ESPN classics or w/e i encourage you to watch it and pay attention to the commentary.

sedated
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM

We're not the only ones pointing out how absured the Tebow-lovefest was.

http://deadspin.com/5127079/tim-tebow-is-like-the-son-of-god-thom-brennaman-never-had

Did you hear the Good News? Tim Tebow won his second National Championship using grit, determination, four kinds of leadership and a form of mind control that he learned while uniting the Philippines.

According to Fox announcer Thom Brennaman—and if you don't agree with him, you must be some kind of deranged lunatic—Tim Tebow just may be the finest human being to ever live on this planet or any other. If fact, Thom Brennaman himself felt like little more than a puny insignificant speck in the fearful presence of Tim Tebow's greatness. Of course, Tim Tebow is made of such generous spirit and delicious candy that he cured Brennaman of his fear (and his adult acne), making him feel completely at ease and joyful simply by performing a Gator chomp with Tebow-esque hands.

Yes, it was Tim Tebow who healed fellow teammate Percy Harvin's ankle and then willed him to 122 yards rushing on nine carries. It was Tim Tebow's idea to deny Sooner running Chris Brown at the goal line on fourth down. I'm pretty sure he used some sort of levitation magic to keep Sam Bradford's pass bouncing in the air long enough for Major Wright to intercept it. It was his hand that reached down from the heavens to block a 49-yard field goal attempt late in the third quarter. And, despite letting Oklahoma stay in game out of compassion and sportsmanship, it was Tim Tebow who leapt over an Oklahoma wide receiver to snatch away an fourth-quarter interception and turn the game in the Gators favor. (Wait, that was Ahmad Black. Funny that the game story didn't mention that, but I'm sure it was the revelation of Tim Tebow perfect bone structure that encouraged Black to do it.)

Yes, Tim Tebow threw two interceptions of his own, but that was just pure unadulterated leadership. I, for one, feel like a better person for simply having watched that football game last night. He makes me want to be a better football fan.

Mi_chief_fan
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
The refs weren't the reason OU lost, but they sure did have a tough night.

Valiant
01-09-2009, 03:46 PM

The whole Superman thing over and over was rediculous, especially with the stupid decisions he made under pressure. The guy could have easily had 4 INTs that game. Announcers bought what they were hearing from the Florida team, and figured they spent all their time preparing for that outcome.

Oklahoma choked away lots of momentum but damn those were some horrible non-calls against Florida.. I would be making sure certain refs did not keep their job.. The first PI that was not called where the OU WR got manhandled before the ball and caught it.. There was a review, showing in slow-mo him being raped.. What was the review for?? To see if he caught it..