PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Yankees keep on gettin stronger

Demonpenz
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
NEW YORK -- Former AL Rookie of the Year Angel Berroa has agreed to a minor league contract with the New York Yankees.

Advertisement

The shortstop, bidding to make the team as a backup infielder, is guaranteed $66,000 under his deal. He would get an $800,000, one-year contract if added to the 40-man roster and could earn an additional $300,000 in performance bonuses based on plate appearances from 100-375.

Now 30, Berroa edged Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui for the rookie award in 2003 after batting .287 with 17 homers and 73 RBI for the Kansas City Royals.

Berroa became the Los Angeles Dodgers' starting shortstop last year after he was acquired from the Royals on June 6 for minor league infielder Juan Rivera. Berroa hit .230 with one homer and 16 RBI in 84 games, then became a backup during the postseason when Rafael Furcal returned from the disabled list.

Los Angeles declined Berroa's $5.5 million option, instead paying a $500,000 buyout. Rather than have Berroa become eligible for salary arbitration, the Dodgers failed to offer a contract by the Dec. 12 deadline, making him a free agent.

Berroa made $4.75 million last season.

The Yankees have not yet announced the agreement, opting to announce all their minor league deals simultaneously. They previously agreed to contracts with backup catcher Kevin Cash and right-hander Jason Johnson.

DeezNutz
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
There's their Paul O'Neil.

Ari Chi3fs
01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
The rich get richer.

Woodrow Call
01-09-2009, 03:27 PM
The Bronx crowd will love him.

Rooster
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Why don't we ever get players like that?

sedated
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Berroa made $4.75 million last season.

what kind of a dumbass would give him that kind of contract?

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
what kind of a dumbass would give him that kind of contract?

He played very well for the Dodgers last year.

He just needed a change of scenery.

MIAdragon
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
"Yankees keep on gettin stronger"

LMAO

Brock
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
They can spend all they want. That's not really how it's done anymore.

DJ's left nut
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM

This I don't get.

Defensively he still looked like a 3bman playing at SS. He's just a half step too slow to be playing the position.

Offensively he was less inept than he was in KC, but certainly not good.

I'll give him slightly below average at best (a marked improvement over the 'GD abysmal' level he was at), but his play certainly never reached the "very well" stage.

MIAdragon
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
This I don't get.

Defensively he still looked like a 3bman playing at SS. He's just a half step too slow to be playing the position.

I'll give him slightly below average at best (a marked improvement over the 'GD abysmal' level he was at), but his play certainly never reached the "very well" stage.

The guy blows.

Stewie
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM

ROFL

In an Angel Berroa sort of way.

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
This I don't get.

Well, he was a clutch hitter for the Dodgers last season and was absolutely vital to their division-winning run.

Say what you will about his numbers but he came through when he was needed, hence the large contract from the Yankees.

MIAdragon
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Well, he was a clutch hitter for the Dodgers last season and was absolutely vital to their division-winning run.

Say what you will about his numbers but he came through when he was needed, hence the large contract from the Yankees.

WTF!? The ONLY reason you won the division is Manny.

really Dane $66,000K is a large contract??

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Plus, if you guys read the thread starter, he signed a Minor-League deal. He's only guaranteed $66,000.00 dollars.

Big deal.

MIAdragon
01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Plus, if you guys read the thread starter, he signed a Minor-League deal. He's only guaranteed $66,000.00 dollars.

Big deal.

"Say what you will about his numbers but he came through when he was needed, hence the large contract from the Yankees."

Who needs to read that again?

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
WTF!? The ONLY reason you won the division is Manny.

really Dane $66,000K is a large contract??

Well, fuck. I wasn't going to get into a conversation that was off-topic but yes, the only reason the Dodgers won the division (and ONE playoff game) was Manny.

But Berroa was decent in coming in for Furcal last year and came up with some clutch hits.

I mentioned the $66k in my previous post. This signing is no big deal. The "large" thing was a joke.

chiefzilla1501
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
They can spend all they want. That's not really how it's done anymore.

I'm a Yankee fan and I agree 100%. I cringe every time they make these big free agent splashes.

The Yankee team that was so terrific in the late 90's was built not through free agency, but through their farm system. Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Bernie Williams, Rivera were their lifeblood, and scrappy, cheap guys like Scott Brosius, Joe Girardi, and Paul O'Neill were brought in for really cheap. Those were the guys that were winning pennants for the Yanks. Not guys like Sheffield, Randy Johnson, etc....

I was a huge fan in the 80's and early 90's and started to hate them a little more every year because they were building the team the wrong way. I was stoked last year when they finally decided to win through the farm rather than through free agent pickups. Looks like they're back to their stupid spending spree again.

DeezNutz
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Did no one throw him a breaking ball in the dirt?

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm a Yankee fan and I agree 100%. I cringe every time they make these big free agent splashes.

I wouldn't call spending $66k on Angel Berroa a "big, free agent splash".

cmh6476
01-10-2009, 11:21 PM
how come I can't luck my way into a $4.5m salary for a year for basically doing nothing?

beach tribe
01-11-2009, 03:17 AM
"Say what you will about his numbers but he came through when he was needed, hence the large contract from the Yankees."

Who needs to read that again?

"Mecca right again"

beavis
01-11-2009, 03:59 AM
This almost makes all their other contracts tolerable. ROFL

MIAdragon
04-05-2009, 11:25 AM

LMAO

Yankees Set Roster, Choose Pena Over Berroa
By Nat Boyle [April 5 at 11:50am CST]

Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports the Yankees have set their 25-man roster by choosing to go with infielder Ramiro Pena over Angel Berroa. Dan Giese was designated for assignment to make room. Hoch writes,

Sure-Oz
04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Berroa is such a POS

MIAdragon
04-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Berroa is such a POS

"Despite having not played above Double-A Trenton, Pena opened eyes in camp when Derek Jeter left the club for the World Baseball Classic, showcasing a slick glove and a developing bat. Pena batted .277 (18-for-65) with two doubles, a triple and seven RBIs in 30 Spring Training games for New York."

:LOL:

RippedmyFlesh
04-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Berroa is jeter insurance.
A guy capable of playing ss in the bigs if needed.
Nothing more nothing less.

L.A. Chieffan
04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
i was so pissed when the dodgers didnt resign him

Thig Lyfe
04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
ANGEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLL BERROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!