PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli article

djrcmay
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
CHIEFS FANS CAN RELAX AND WATCH THE GAMES
Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2009, 4:18 p.m.

Though the rumors continue to fly regarding the possibility of Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli joining the Chiefs as the teamís new G.M. in the imminent future, weíre told that the team will not be announcing a hire for the position this weekend.

With two divisional-round games to be played on Saturday and two on Sunday, itís our understanding that the Chiefs donít want their hire (if/when itís made) to be overshadowed nationally by the games, or to overshadow locally the focus on the postseason action.

Thereís still a dearth of information coming from the Chiefs regarding the situation, which in our view has resulted in more speculation and half-cocked rumor-mongering than what usually occurs in situations like this.

Apparently, when our thirst for information isnít being satisfied, we cling to exaggerations and flat-out fabrications.

So, basically, if every NFL team would go into lock-down mode, we could just make stuff up all day, and weíd have even more traffic.

As opposed to, you know, making stuff up all day with the current level of t

xbarretx
01-09-2009, 10:43 PM
be nice if something was in the works like that. maybe they know what is going to happen and just not announce it yet. that way when they do they can annouce the new coaching staff along with Scott :toast: ill drink to that :clap:

BigRedChief
01-09-2009, 11:01 PM
And this isn't in the Pioli thread because?????

DaFace
01-09-2009, 11:03 PM
And this isn't in the Pioli thread because?????

Eh, it's become nearly impossible to keep track of stuff in there lately with all the BS.

HemiEd
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Eh, it's become nearly impossible to keep track of stuff in there lately with all the BS.

You are doing a fine job, and a lot of us appreciate it. Hang in there!

Ebolapox
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
so, when does pioli get his own smiley?

djrcmay
01-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm hoping, with the delay in any new's about Pioli, that the Chiefs have locked Him up and He is getting His Head Coach in place with His own announcement. Probably not happening, but that is my hope.

Brock
01-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Okay, guys

Stinger
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
so, when does pioli get his own smiley?

Well lately it has been this :cuss: or this :grovel:

Fritz88
01-10-2009, 09:41 AM
half-cocked
:evil:

Mr. Laz
01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
tbh i'm getting more worried about the Coaching staff at this point.

i'm shocked that all these GM jobs haven't been filled yet.

that leads me to believe that we virtually have our choice of which GM we want and afterwards the jobs will start falling into place quickly.

the Chiefs setting the market ...... whodathunkit. :eek:

anyway ... it's all about the head coach and his staff at this point.

if we get Pioli,Polian or even Savage for GM i think it's a big upgrade over Peterless.

Tribal Warfare
01-10-2009, 09:50 AM
if we get Pioli,Polian or even Savage for GM i think it's a big upgrade over Peterless.

Another reason their could be a delay is due to seeing if any of the Ravens candidates will be available after this weekend

Fritz88
01-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Another reason their could be a delay is due to seeing if any of the Ravens candidates will be available after this weekend

too bad, you gatta wait until Feb 02 because the Ravens are heading to the Super Bowl fo sho

allen_kcCard
01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
If I were an owner, and I KNEW I had my guy locked up, I would wait as long as I could to tell the world about it.

There are lots of names out there the any new GM would have on his list for possible new hires. As soon as the world knows a GM is hired, then media starts talking more about who he might hire for his staff, and other teams know that the fuse is burning faster to get those same guys so they up thier offers.

If Pioli is the guy already, then it would be best to lock up all his staff as well, and then annouce the whole shebang all at once.

Tribal Warfare
too bad, you gatta wait until Feb 02 because the Ravens are heading to the Super Bowl fo sho

The Titans are bad MOFOs though

Mr. Laz
gangster n da hizzle yo

Tribal Warfare
01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
If Pioli is the guy already, then it would be best to lock up all his staff as well, and then annouce the whole shebang all at once.

Very true, but sportswriters could get leaks from the other organization that has the specified coaches too.

Mr. Laz
01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
but the new GM has to fire Herm first

hire a gm
GM fires current staff
GM hires new staff

all undercover??? i doubt it

kcpasco
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Okay Gang,

bowener
01-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Okay Gang,

If there were a way for me to violently stab you right now, I would do it.

dorseybowe
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
My cousin, a construction worker in Topeka, is reporting that the Chiefs will make the announcement that the team has hired Scott Pioli as the new GM sometime next week.

His text message:
I know they will hired him man i just know it next week

:hmmm:

:D

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Okay Gang,

You Rocky Alden?

aturnis
01-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Heh, kind of why I think it'd be nice to have a lounge for home improvement type stuff. B/c it is impossible to keep up with one thread that has grown miles long.

Even if the entire "lounge" didn't command too much traffic, it wouldn't be any slower than draftplanet.

KChiefs1
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1144354&srvc=sports&position=3

Scott Pioli talk questionable:
Interview tales make little sense

<!--//Byline box//-->By Ron Borges
<!--//Byline box end//--><!--//article Image//-->http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/e5cd94dc03_Pioli_01102009.jpg
Photo by Matthew West

<!--//article Image//--><!--//article//-->If you know anything at all about Scott Pioli, you know when it comes to football matters he is never unprepared, which is what makes recent claims about his interview with the Cleveland Browns difficult to fathom.

If those reports are accurate, Pioli was so ill-prepared for his seven-hour interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner that he couldnít think of a single thing he needed to turn around a billion dollar company with sinking football fortunes. Couldnít think of anything he had to have to right a 4-12 team with personnel problems, salary cap problems and no head coach.

Not one thing.

That is what some folks would have you believe, perhaps never considering what that really means. It means Pioli showed up for dinner and didnít even ask for a menu. Sat there for seven hours convincing Lerner he didnít need a thing to fix the mess the Browns had become.

Does that sound like the Scott Pioli who has been widely declared among the most well-prepared front office executives in the game? The same guy who spends endless hours working to find out everything he can about every player he looks at? The guy who keeps his team prepared for any possible personnel disaster? Yet when he gets in front of Lerner, he has no idea what to ask for to fix the Brownsí problems?

ďDidnít ask for anything.Ē

If thatís true, no wonder Eric Mangini is in Cleveland and Scott Pioli is not.

The slant of SI.comís Peter King was that Lerner was ďsure Pioli was the top candidate to come into Cleveland to rebuild his team.Ē If that is true, how did Lerner come to that conclusion? By listening to Pioliís iPod selections?

What King wrote was that ďPioli never made any demands that gave Lerner cold feet.Ē So did he make demands or didnít he?

If thatís true, Pioli was as unprepared for one of the most important days in his professional life as any human being could be.

Having seen Pioli in operation for as long as heís been in New England, and having talked to many NFL executives and personnel people familiar with his work, I can assure you of one thing: Scott Pioli was not unprepared for that interview. He also is not some shrinking violet afraid to ask for what he needs to build a winner for fear the owner might run off screaming into the night.

Pioli, a two-time NFL Executive of the Year, knew exactly what he believed was necessary to turn around Lernerís troubled franchise. To suggest he, as NFL Networkís respected news maven Adam Schefter wrote, ďnever asked for anything from the Browns,Ē is absurd. That is not to say someone didnít tell Schefter that. Itís just to point out if itís true, itís the first time in the history of NFL interviews that it happened.

ďNever asked for anything.Ē

For that to be true, Scott Pioli would have to have concluded everything was right with the Browns and he needed nothing to improve them. Of course, if thatís the case, why hire him?

Or he would have had to have thrown his old friend Romeo Crennel and his former boss Phil Savage under the bus and blamed them for every wrong that existed in Cleveland and thus made clear that simply getting rid of them was the answer. In which case, why hire him?

Or he sat there like a bump on a log for seven hours without any idea what needed to be done in Cleveland to turn it into the kind of model franchise he has so greatly helped Bill Belichick (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Bill+Belichick&mode=score&sorting=pubdate) build in New England. In which case, why hire him?

Or thereís the last possibility. He ďnever asked for anythingĒ because he had no idea what to ask for or how to go about it or even what he should be paid to do the job. If you believe that, youíve never talked to Scott Pioli and you donít think much of the quality of his work.

djrcmay
01-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Relax, news coming Monday probably.