PDA

View Full Version : Life So, I won $700 tonight

luv
01-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I really don't like playing bingo. I usually go with my mom for her birthday or Mother's Day, though, since she likes it. Well, my brother has a girlfriend who I hadn't met yet, and, since his girlfriend has never been before, they were going to go with my mom. Of course, I can't say no when my mom calls and asks me to go. I'm also curious about my brother's girlfriend (who's really cool, surprisingly). I won $500 on a blackout early in the evening. I was shocked. I NEVER win. Then, close to the end of the evening, I won $200! Twice in one night! I ended up giving my mom and my brother $100 each the second time I won, but walking out with $500 felt good! I'm driving home, and my check engine light comes on in my car. I have a feeling I know where that money's going to go.

pr_capone
01-09-2009, 11:42 PM
You must have had some good karma coming back at ya.

I've never won at bingo... but then again I've only played 3 or 4 times. :)

Congratulations on your winnings!

Baconeater
01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Didn't you just fix something on that car? I thought Japanese cars were supposed to be reliable.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Hookers and blow?

luv
01-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Didn't you just fix something on that car? I thought Japanese cars were supposed to be reliable.

Yeah. Three weeks ago or so. Can starters or alternators trigger your check engine light? I hate taking my car to the dealer. They rape me every time.

luv
01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Hookers and blow?

LMAO

Yeah, you know me too well.

pr_capone
01-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah. Three weeks ago or so. Can starters or alternators trigger your check engine light? I hate taking my car to the dealer. They rape me every time.

Take the car to an AutoZone or O'Reilly Auto Parts and they have a machine that will tell you exactly what triggered the check engine light.

And its free.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
All kidding aside, if your car's not acting up... it's probably just an emissions thing.

An O2 sensor, or something. Not the end of the world.

That's the "come to the dealership and spend some cash" light.

luv
Take the car to an Autozone or O'reiley and they have a machine that will tell you exactly what triggered the check engine light.

And its free.

Good, because a diagnostic costs $90 at the dealership.

Baconeater
Take the car to an AutoZone or O'Reilly Auto Parts and they have a machine that will tell you exactly what triggered the check engine light.

And its free.
This.

All kidding aside, if your car's not acting up... it's probably just an emissions thing.

She just did that.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah. Three weeks ago or so. Can starters or alternators trigger your check engine light? I hate taking my car to the dealer. They rape me every time.No.

luv
01-09-2009, 11:49 PM

The last O2 sensor cost me $390. THat's what I just had replaced a few weeks ago.

I have been noticing that sometimes it takes my car a little bit to turn over.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
She just did that.That's why it'd be a bad idea to do it again.

luv
01-09-2009, 11:51 PM
I hope giving away $200 isn't going to come back to bite me in the ass. I was so glad, because I have some dental work I really need done. I hope it's nothing with the car. I'm calling tomorrow. If it's not bad, I'll see about taking it up to OReilly's first.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
The last O2 sensor cost me $390. THat's what I just had replaced a few weeks ago.

I have been noticing that sometimes it takes my car a little bit to turn over.Ya know... if the light bothers you too much, you could take the bulb out.

A bad O2 sensor isn't going to stop your car.

MIAdragon
01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
No.

alternators can.

luv
01-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Also, anyone want to put new brake pads on my car? I checked when I went to the dealer last time, and it costs $260 for front and $260 for rear. Ugh!

Kyle DeLexus
recently get gas? if you don't tighten the cap enough, it will cause the light to go on

Baconeater
I hope giving away $200 isn't going to come back to bite me in the ass. I was so glad, because I have some dental work I really need done. I hope it's nothing with the car. I'm calling tomorrow. If it's not bad, I'll see about taking it up to OReilly's first.

I'd start by taking it back to whoever just fixed it, they should look at it again for no charge. Too weird that it's screwing up again already, perhaps it was replaced with a defective part.

Baconeater
01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Also, anyone want to put new brake pads on my car? I checked when I went to the dealer last time, and it costs $260 for front and $260 for rear. Ugh!

Sure, bring it over tomorrow.

luv
01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Ya know... if the light bothers you too much, you could take the bulb out.

A bad O2 sensor isn't going to stop your car.

They're my dummy lights. The last time I had a rear bulb go out, and this little light came on on my dash. I ignored them on my last car, but it was a Ford Contour. This car is a Lexus, and I want to take care of it. That, and it will need to last me a while, if my ex-dipshit ends up getting that car repoed.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
recently get gas? if you don't tighten the cap enough, it will cause the light to go onExactly.

Any damn thing can set that off. That's why I called it the "come to the dealership and spend some cash" light.

I should know... I work for one.

If your vehicle's running fine, Luv... I really wouldn't stress over it.

That's all I'm sayin'.

luv
01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
recently get gas? if you don't tighten the cap enough, it will cause the light to go on

I have a quarter of a tank. I guess I could still check that though.

cdcox
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM

I have been noticing that sometimes it takes my car a little bit to turn over.

You're not going to like hearing this, but that part is like $90 OEM and takes maybe 20 minutes to put in. That's how much the dealer is tagging your every time you go there.

KcMizzou
01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
They're my dummy lights. The last time I had a rear bulb go out, and this little light came on on my dash. I ignored them on my last car, but it was a Ford Contour. This car is a Lexus, and I want to take care of it. That, and it will need to last me a while, if my ex-dipshit ends up getting that car repoed.Damn, you're ridin' in a Lexus?

Luv's gone "big-time" on us.

pr_capone

In your thread about the sensors stumpy said

Best thing you could do is find a shop you trust. Not all of them are going to rip you off.

Save yourself the money.

Go to OReilly's first and find out whats wrong for free.

That was you are informed to tell the people at the dealership what is going on and get an estimate to fix it.

I can almost guarantee that if you buy the part yourself (at any auto parts store INCLUDING the dealership itself) and have a mechanic install the part that you will save quite a bit of dough.

luv
Exactly.

Any damn thing can set that off. That's why I called it the "come to the dealership and spend some cash" light.

That's all I'm sayin'.

That's just it, though. I don't think it is. I turn the key and it takes a little bit for it to turn over. That's why I'm wondering just what can trigger it.

pr_capone
01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
p.s

if the check engine light *is* on for some stupid shit like the gas cap, they guys at the auto parts store can clear the light.

also for free

luv
Damn, you're ridin' in a Lexus?

Luv's gone "big-time" on us.

I love my car. I love it. I've also still got 4 1/2 years left to pay on it. It's a 2002 IS300.

pr_capone
pps

those guys can also check alternators and batteries... most of the free as well. :D

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 12:01 AM
In your thread about the sensors stumpy said

Save yourself the money.

Go to OReilly's first and find out whats wrong for free.

That was you are informed to tell the people at the dealership what is going on and get an estimate to fix it.

I can almost guarantee that if you buy the part yourself (at any auto parts store INCLUDING the dealership itself) and have a mechanic install the part that you will save quite a bit of dough.

Most mechanics won't install customer provided parts.

luv
01-10-2009, 12:01 AM
You're not going to like hearing this, but that part is like $90 OEM and takes maybe 20 minutes to put in. That's how much the dealer is tagging your every time you go there.

Yeah. They said they had to go in through the floor board to get to it.

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
That's just it, though. I don't think it is. I turn the key and it takes a little bit for it to turn over. That's why I'm wondering just what can trigger it.That's something with the battery, starter or alternator.

When you do get it started, does it run smooth? If so... I wouldn't worry about the light.

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah. They said they had to go in through the floor board to get to it.Oh hell... for an O-2 sensor?

luv
01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
That's something with the battery, starter or alternator.

When you do get it started, does it run smooth? If so... I wouldn't worry about the light.

Yeah, it's just getting it started. It's supposed to be cold and nasty tomorrow. Ugh. I'll see about getting it to OReilly's though. I don't want to waste $90 on a diagnostic if it's nothing electric that can be detected on the computer.

luv
01-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Oh hell... for an O-2 sensor?

Yeah. Sounded weird to me. I'm still going to call and ask them if that was the only thing that showed up last time.

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah. Sounded weird to me. I'm still going to call and ask them if that was the only thing that showed up last time.(Disclaimer : I don't know shit about Lexus)

O2 sensors are either in the exhaust manifold, or somewhere along the exhaust system. (meaning "muffler, tail pipe, cat converter, etc.)...

Through the floorboard doesn't make any sense. I think you got took.

MIAdragon
01-10-2009, 12:13 AM
(Disclaimer : I don't know shit about Lexus)

O2 sensors are either in the exhaust manifold, or somewhere along the exhaust system. (meaning "muffler, tail pipe, cat converter, etc.)...

on her car there are 2 that are VERY hard to get to.

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 12:15 AM

Yep, it does sound fishy, the Japs put a little more thought into serviceability than domestic manufacturers do.

Luv, when you get stuff like this replaced, ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS ask for the old parts back.

luv
01-10-2009, 12:15 AM

I kinda felt like that at the time.

Well, it was still fun, and exciting, to win that much. If I do end up needing something done on my car, at least it won't make things as tight.

luv
01-10-2009, 12:23 AM
on her car there are 2 that are VERY hard to get to.

WHERE ARE THE ACTUAL O2 SENSORS LOCATED ON THE IS300?
The IS300 has 4 oxygen sensors, named B1S1, B1S2, B2S1, and B2S2.

Bank 1 (B1) refers to the first bank of cylinders or 1-3 (first three as you look at it from the front) Bank 2 (B2) is the second bank of cylinders 4-6 (back cylinders closest to the fire wall).

Sensor 1 (S1) is the first sensor in the particular bank (1 or 2) in the path from the engine block and out. Sensor 2 (S2) is the next one in-line.

B1S1 should be the first one you see as you look in the engine bay. It is up high, and toward the front. The one below that is B1S2.

B2S1 is near the firewall. The one under the seat (under the car) on the Y-pipe is B2S2.

Sensor 1s are "pre-cat", and check A/F mixture, Sensor 2s are "post-cat" and check catalytic operating efficiency.

luv
01-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Mine was the B2S2.

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Either way, it's still pretty effed up that you already need to make another repair to it when the selling point of these cars are their reliability. You've already spent more on repairs on it than I have spent on my 94 Caravan in the four years I've had it, but American cars are the ones that suck.

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Mine was the B2S2.So why did they need to go through the floorboard?

Did they not have a lift... or at least some floor jacks?

luv
01-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Either way, it's still pretty effed up that you already need to make another repair to it when the selling point of these cars are their reliability. You've already spent more on repairs on it than I have spent on my 94 Caravan in the four years I've had it, but American cars are the ones that suck.

I got it on Valentine's Day last year. Hard to believe she's been mine nearly a year. I've replaced the tires and O2 sensor. I need to do brakes and get that light off. Hoping to be good after that.

Ebolapox
01-10-2009, 12:55 AM

lexuses? lexus'? lexi? what is the goddamned plural of lexus? I'm gonna go with lexi.

luv
01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
So why did they need to go through the floorboard?

Did they not have a lift... or at least some floor jacks?

I hate dealerships with a passion. I didn't know who else to take it to. I knew I'd probably get raped, but I didn't know what else to do. I felt kind of trapped.

I'm definitely a chick when it comes to cars.

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Either way, it's still pretty effed up that you already need to make another repair to it when the selling point of these cars are their reliability. You've already spent more on repairs on it than I have spent on my 94 Caravan in the four years I've had it, but American cars are the ones that suck.Amen. My '98 Lumina's had a "check engine soon" light on for about the last 30k miles. She's got nearly 140k on her...

One of the few benefits of my line of work, is the fact that I can usually get the smaller problems fixed for a 12-pack.

The major issues can be payroll-deducted over a month or three.

Ebolapox
I hate dealerships with a passion. I didn't know who else to take it to. I knew I'd probably get raped, but I didn't know what else to do. I felt kind of trapped.

eh, rick's automotive is great for car repairs. and I'm not just shilling for them.

luv
Amen. My '98 Lumina's had a "check engine soon" light on for about the last 30k miles. She's got nearly 140k on her...

One of the few benefits of my line of work, is the fact that I can usually get the smaller problems fixed for a 12-pack.

The major issues can be payroll-deducted over a month or three.

Want to adopt my car for a few weeks? lol

luv
01-10-2009, 12:59 AM
eh, rick's automotive is great for car repairs. and I'm not just shilling for them.

Do they work on foreign as well as domestic?

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 12:59 AM

I'm definitely a chick when it comes to cars.Yeah, see... there's your problem. They know that... it's obvious. You're an easy mark.

Ebolapox
01-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Do they work on foreign as well as domestic?

I'm pretty sure they do.

luv
01-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Yeah, see... there's your problem. They know that... it's obvious. You're an easy mark.

Or they think that I'm made of money, so I don't pay attention to what they say anyway.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:03 AM

OMG, find someone you know and get it done for $50.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:03 AM
OMG, find someone you know and get it done for $50.

P.S - Way to spread the love and cover your mom and brothers losses for the evening. Class act.

luv
01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Anyway. I appreciate the advice. I'll be calling the dealership and hopefully taking my car up to OReilly's tomorrow. It'd be nice to have a man for such occasions, but I've got to learn to deal with shit like this and learn how not to be that easy mark. I can do this.

luv
01-10-2009, 01:06 AM
P.S - Way to spread the love and cover your mom and brothers losses for the evening. Class act.

My dad reads this thread, and I'm dead. My brother owes him money (nothing new). He and his girlfriend are saving up for a Wii, but haven't paid a cent to my dad. He'd kill me if he knew I gave him money.

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
I got it on Valentine's Day last year. Hard to believe she's been mine nearly a year. I've replaced the tires and O2 sensor. I need to do brakes and get that light off. Hoping to be good after that.

Eh, tires aren't what I'd classify as "repairs". The brakes are, but that's still something you should expect.

Ebolapox
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Anyway. I appreciate the advice. I'll be calling the dealership and hopefully taking my car up to OReilly's tomorrow. It'd be nice to have a man for such occasions, but I've got to learn to deal with shit like this and learn how not to be that easy mark. I can do this.

eh, I'm just as bad with cars as you are likely. I've never been a car guy. the best thing that ever happened to me was having the shitty car I've had for the last four years or so--1990 pontiac LeMans. it's paid off, used to get great gas mileage, but twice a year or so, I have to african-american-engineer it. there are a few small problems (which are expensive to get fixed on a car that has parts that are hard to find these days) that I just live with and jerry-rig, cause it's not worth fixing. ride it til the wheels fall off, I guess.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:08 AM
There is no way possible to get a good deal by having someone else do your breaks. At the end of the day, you could literally do it yourself if you decided too. You don't have any guy friends at all that could help you? If not, I would call around and get many quotes. Someone should be running some kind of special and do it for $100 for the front and $100 for the back. If I can get that deal in Seattle, you should be able to get it in Springfield. Good luck with it.

luv
01-10-2009, 01:10 AM
eh, I'm just as bad with cars as you are likely. I've never been a car guy. the best thing that ever happened to me was having the shitty car I've had for the last four years or so--1990 pontiac LeMans. it's paid off, used to get great gas mileage, but twice a year or so, I have to african-american-engineer it. there are a few small problems (which are expensive to get fixed on a car that has parts that are hard to find these days) that I just live with and jerry-rig, cause it's not worth fixing. ride it til the wheels fall off, I guess.

That's how I was with my Contour. It was a 2000, and had 88K miles on it. She's been through a few fender benders, but overall, not bad. Every Ford I've owned has gone to shit at 100K miles, so I was getting nervous. I saw this car, fell in love, figured out I could afford it, and the rest is history.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:11 AM

ROFL That's a new one. Hey, I've been wondering, is that you in your avatar?

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:12 AM
That's how I was with my Contour. It was a 2000, and had 88K miles on it. She's been through a few fender benders, but overall, not bad. Every Ford I've owned has gone to shit at 100K miles, so I was getting nervous. I saw this car, fell in love, figured out I could afford it, and the rest is history.

No regrets. It's beautiful, you love it, and you earned it. Well, I think you love it. Unless it's been costing you a shit ton of money.

unothadeal
01-10-2009, 01:13 AM
I keep checking my engine but the light is still there.

Ebolapox
01-10-2009, 01:13 AM

yeah, been there/done that. I'm due for an upgrade, though. we got the wife a toyota in 2007. it'll be paid off some point this year (probably), and I'll upgrade from this one. prolly keep it, though, it's a reliable little shit. fuck, it wouldn't surprise me if my little lemans outlived all of us.

Ebolapox
01-10-2009, 01:14 AM

that's a new one? you must be from the other side of the tracks. that one was old when my gramps used it when I was in first grade.

luv
01-10-2009, 01:15 AM
No regrets. It's beautiful, you love it, and you earned it. Well, I think you love it. Unless it's been costing you a shit ton of money.

No regrets. It's kind of cool when people find out I drive a Lexus. "YOU drive a Lexus?" Kind of like the "YOU have tattoos?" responses I get. Here's a picture of my baby.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:17 AM
This is what I'm driving currently.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/4/49/20070826201240!1998-01_Oldsmobile_Bravada.jpg

This is what I want to buy, and haven't had the balls to finance yet. I'm saving up so I can hopefully just buy one outright.

http://s197mustangsofutah.com/members/07_GTCS/07gtcs001.jpg

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 01:18 AM

That sounds like my strategy. Buy old heaps for cash, run them into the ground spending as little money possible on repairs, rinse and repeat.

No car payments, no "aw fuck some dipshit just dinged the door in my new car", only $60/yr to renew the plates...hell yeah. Cars are the biggest waste of money there is.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:18 AM
No regrets. It's kind of cool when people find out I drive a Lexus. "YOU drive a Lexus?" Kind of like the "YOU have tattoos?" responses I get. Here's a picture of my baby.

And you're like, "Why the fuck wouldn't I drive a Lexus? I'm good at what I do, and I bust my ass."

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:19 AM
That sounds like my strategy. Buy old heaps for cash, run them into the ground spending as little money possible on repairs, rinse and repeat.

No car payments, no "aw fuck some dipshit just dinged the door in my new car", only $60/yr to renew the plates...hell yeah. Cars are the biggest waste of money there is.

Beautiful thing about my high tax state is that tabs are $50 a year no matter what you drive. Voters passed that one a few years ago, and while the politicians toyed with tossing it over it being "unconsitutional", they didn't have the balls to pull that trigger.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:20 AM
that's a new one? you must be from the other side of the tracks. that one was old when my gramps used it when I was in first grade.

Listen up cheeto dick, if I wanted your lip I'd rattle my zipper.

luv
01-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Listen up cheeto dick, if I wanted your lip I'd rattle my zipper.

LMAO

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:21 AM

Actually, I've just never heard the "politically correct" version of it.

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Beautiful thing about my high tax state is that tabs are $50 a year no matter what you drive. Voters passed that one a few years ago, and while the politicians toyed with tossing it over it being "unconsitutional", they didn't have the balls to pull that trigger.

They're brutal here, you can count on 10% of the vehicle cost when licensing it the first time. Buy a $20K car with no trade-in, your plates cost $2K. Yes, that's TWO FUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR FUCKING LICENSE PLATES.

Der Flöprer
LMAO

Remember a few days ago when you quoted me and when you went to post it, some of it was gone? That just happened to me with you. Circle of life baby. Circle of life.

I must be high.

luv
Remember a few days ago when you quoted me and when you went to post it, some of it was gone? That just happened to me with you. Circle of life baby. Circle of life.

I must be high.

Yeah, I read your post wrong the first time.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:24 AM
They're brutal here, you can count on 10% of the vehicle cost when licensing it the first time. Buy a $20K car with no trade-in, your plates cost $2K. Yes, that's TWO FUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR FUCKING LICENSE PLATES.

That's rape. Nothing less. But hey, at least the nation's kids are safe thanks to Nebraska. Terrible parents in MS would thank you, but they're high and fucking people for money.

Ebolapox
01-10-2009, 01:24 AM

AHH, they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Definitely take it down to autozone and have them run the free check on your engine light. I'm sure you knew that, but just in case.....

KcMizzou
01-10-2009, 01:29 AM

No car payments, no "aw fuck some dipshit just dinged the door in my new car", only $60/yr to renew the plates...hell yeah. Cars are the biggest waste of money there is.Amen... drive it 'till it quits.

Get another.

Rinse and repeat.

Der Flöprer
01-10-2009, 01:47 AM

If it was me that everyone kept asking, I'd say it wasn't me in my avatar, it's me in my sig. But, I'm a dork so you should probably not do that.

ChiefJustice
01-10-2009, 05:30 AM

This. :clap:

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I hate taking my car to the dealer. They rape me every time.
OMG Why would you go to a dealer? If its a warranty issue, great. Otherwise, never.

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2009, 07:21 AM
alternators can.The charging system has its own warning light.

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Also, anyone want to put new brake pads on my car? I checked when I went to the dealer last time, and it costs $260 for front and $260 for rear. Ugh!Ugh. Stop. There are good import shops for work like this that won't steal your money.

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Exactly.

That's all I'm sayin'.This. I had a couple cars where the 'check engine' or 'service engine soon' light stayed on for a year and never had a problem. I just took it to AutoZone, like someone already mentioned, and had it tested for free.

Delano
01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
This. I had a couple cars where the 'check engine' or 'service engine soon' light stayed on for a year and never had a problem. I just took it to AutoZone, like someone already mentioned, and had it tested for free.

Yeah. My Honda has the damn service engine light on. It is my understanding that dealers reset those lights after the recommended maintenance. I do all the maintenance myself and don't know how to reset the thing.

Annoying as hell though. I am so accustomed to the damn light that if an important warning came on, I probably would not notice it.

Stewie
01-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Hopefully it's not the O2 sensor again. Many times the sensor will foul and they'll replace it only to have it foul again. Many times the O2 sensor failure is just a symptom of another problem.

Chief Chief
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
...since his girlfriend has never been F***EDbefore...I know where that money is going to go.

$500 to your bro's gal to deflower your future sister-in-law? Yeah, it's worth it! Trust me...I'm speaking with experience in this area.

luv
01-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Funny. My check engine light never did come on today. I took it by OReilly's. They tested my battery, and said that it was good, but just needs to be charged a little more for my engine size. I guess i'll concentrate on brakes.

DeezNutz
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Funny. My check engine light never did come on today. I took it by OReilly's. They tested my battery, and said that it was good, but just needs to be charged a little more for my engine size. I guess i'll concentrate on brakes.

Didn't check back in this thread, but I'm sure you're aware that this light sometimes comes on b/c of mileage. For example, this happens with many vehicles around the 100,000 mile range.

It might be nothing.

badgirl
01-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah. My Honda has the damn service engine light on. It is my understanding that dealers reset those lights after the recommended maintenance. I do all the maintenance myself and don't know how to reset the thing.

Annoying as hell though. I am so accustomed to the damn light that if an important warning came on, I probably would not notice it.

Mine says it when its time to change the oil. when the 3000 miles have run down it starts beeping, it may just be that simple Luv.:)

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2009, 02:07 AM

Annoying as hell though. I am so accustomed to the damn light that if an important warning came on, I probably would not notice it.Go to AZ or O'Reillys, they'll clear it for nothing.

luv
01-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Didn't check back in this thread, but I'm sure you're aware that this light sometimes comes on b/c of mileage. For example, this happens with many vehicles around the 100,000 mile range.

It might be nothing.

Yeah. It's at 98,500.

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I won a poker tournament yesterday.....and then went for the throat, stayed too damn long and gave too damn much of it back.

Sometimes I piss myself off.

luv
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I won a poker tournament yesterday.....and then went for the throat, stayed too damn long and gave too damn much of it back.

Sometimes I piss myself off.

My mom always thinks that she has to keep going since she's on a lucky streak. I don't get lucky that often, so I usually count my blessings and stop while I know I'm ahead.

Fish
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM

If the light went off by itself without you doing anything, then it likely wasn't a serious fault and tested out OK after a previous bad test. There are many different faults that will trip the check engine light. The more serious ones stay on until they're manually reset. The less serious ones will go away if they test out OK the next time.

But I have to disagree with those saying you should ignore it as long as the vehicle is running OK. That's really bad practice. Just because the vehicle still gets down the road, that doesn't mean that something isn't wrong that could be ruining your engine with no serious symptoms. Just because Larry has been driving his 89 Festiva for 5 years with the engine light on, that should in no way be justification for you to do so. Take care of your stuff, especially stuff you depend on as much as your car. The light isn't going on for no reason. Your car is trying to tell you something. And you should listen.... It doesn't cost you anything to take it by Advance Auto or O'Rielly's and borrow their ODB tool to run a scan. Even if the light is no longer on, you will still be able to view past bad faults within a certain time period.