01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Anybody doin this shit?!:rockon:

Ab ripper is more like groin ripper.

:BLVD:

Cornstock
01-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I saw that.
It looks helacious and I want it.
If you're doing it you should keep us posted on your results.

headsnap
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I love the Plyo DVD. It will kick your ass.

I would be doing it now, but I am just 2 months out of ACL replacement surgery

J Diddy
01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
yeah, i saw it and was quite curious

please keep us posted

PhillyChiefFan
01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Anybody doin this shit?!:rockon:

Ab ripper is more like groin ripper.

:BLVD:

I thought the same thing, I had pain in my groin for a week after the first time I did ab ripper. Great work out though, especially the martial art work out and chest/tri.

Silock
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Ab Ripper X is weak.

Seriously. I mean, it's a nice place to start, but it's hardly as difficult as the douchebag host makes it out to be.

Guru
01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
p90x will kick your ass

Silock
01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
p90x will kick your ass

It will if you're used to sitting on your ass doing absolutely nothing.

There's nothing miraculous or special about P90X. It's great if you have no idea how to eat right or how to get yourself in shape, but if you've already got a handle on how to do those things, it's not worth the money.

I'm not anti-P90X, really. I'm more anti-P90X hype. It's fantastic that people are getting off of their asses to do things, and it's a great place to start.

Guru
01-10-2009, 09:24 PM

There's nothing miraculous or special about P90X. It's great if you have no idea how to eat right or how to get yourself in shape, but if you've already got a handle on how to do those things, it's not worth the money.

I'm not anti-P90X, really. I'm more anti-P90X hype. It's fantastic that people are getting off of their asses to do things, and it's a great place to start.that thing will kick your ass even if you are in shape. You definitely don't want it to be your first workout.

Silock
01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
that thing will kick your ass even if you are in shape. You definitely don't want it to be your first workout.

No, it won't.

EDIT: Of course, that depends entirely upon your definition of "in shape." None of their workouts work for me.

Guru
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
No, it won't.

EDIT: Of course, that depends entirely upon your definition of "in shape." None of their workouts work for me.OK Mr. I'm In Shape, This workout will kick 90% of the posters of this sites ass.

Silock
01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
OK Mr. I'm In Shape, This workout will kick 90% of the posters of this sites ass.

Sure, but 90% of the posters on this site probably don't work out regularly.

The only point I'm trying to make is that it's not worth the money if you know what you're doing already.

If you don't, it's a fantastic place to start, and much more worthwhile than a trainer or something.

Guru
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Sure, but 90% of the posters on this site probably don't work out regularly.

The only point I'm trying to make is that it's not worth the money if you know what you're doing already.

If you don't, it's a fantastic place to start, and much more worthwhile than a trainer or something.Now we are in agreement.:)

xbarretx
01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
To answer the initial post question.

No but I am going to start it this week. a friend has it and is letting me Bogart it. i spent the last month trying to get into some form of "in shape" so I’ve been doing a boat load of pushups, sit ups, pull ups, and free weights.... so i can at least get into a workout and keep on it so i don’t get super sore and have to take a few days off which kills motivation.

Do i expect it to be the end all solution? Heck no but if it makes things interesting and keeps me on track then its worth it. i tell you one thing... its got to be more interesting then running 5k's by yourself. I’ve done workouts at clubs and at home.. i even lost 120 lbs by doing it. (i use to weight over 280...... and I’ve kept it off for over 7 years oh and I am 6ft) however, I’ve found that .. (As silock put it most people aren’t doing jack anyways...) if this helps get my wife working out with me then it’s worth it, even if i don’t end up with washboard abs. Which i probably wont b/c losing a crap load of weight WILL leave you with some saggy skin, I go through it ill toss out my opinions of it :thumb: and FWIW good luck to anyone who wants and attempts to get into shape.

p.s. Silock, while I am definitely not carved out of wood I am in shape. my problem isn’t losing weight its getting cut. So yes I am one of those who has a diet that could be improved so that is also one of the reasons why I am giving it a shot. If all else fails it beats sitting on my @$$ doing nothing. :shrug: eh comrade?

aturnis
01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
No, it won't.

EDIT: Of course, that depends entirely upon your definition of "in shape." None of their workouts work for me.

You must be WAY cut! Whoa...

Silock
01-11-2009, 12:02 AM
p.s. Silock, while I am definitely not carved out of wood I am in shape. my problem isn’t losing weight its getting cut. So yes I am one of those who has a diet that could be improved so that is also one of the reasons why I am giving it a shot. If all else fails it beats sitting on my @$$ doing nothing. :shrug: eh comrade?

I hope it works for you :)

Cutting is 90% diet, and 10% work. You could get on a cutting diet and do hardly any exercise at all and get extremely lean.

Silock
01-11-2009, 12:03 AM

I'm pretty lean, but that really has jack to do with whether or not one finds that particular set of exercises difficult.

xbarretx
01-11-2009, 12:14 AM

Cutting is 90% diet, and 10% work. You could get on a cutting diet and do hardly any exercise at all and get extremely lean.

thanks bro!

i think thats why im giving the program a try.

if you know of any good cutting diet url's lemme know. if not, thanks anyways :toast:

rep for the vow of confidence!

Silock
01-11-2009, 12:44 AM
thanks bro!

i think thats why im giving the program a try.

if you know of any good cutting diet url's lemme know. if not, thanks anyways :toast:

rep for the vow of confidence!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr115.htm

There's a link at the top to switch between week 1 and week 2. It's a solid meal plan, and only 2300 calories per day, which is pretty good. And you can always scale the portions back a bit to meet your calorie goals.

xbarretx
01-11-2009, 07:33 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr115.htm

There's a link at the top to switch between week 1 and week 2. It's a solid meal plan, and only 2300 calories per day, which is pretty good. And you can always scale the portions back a bit to meet your calorie goals.

:hail: thanks. i think when it comes to diets its easier to eat less which is why so much of the US is out of shape. i take it as a eat every 2 hours type plan. thanks again!

Guru
01-11-2009, 08:10 AM
My biggest problem is the eating. With my work hours I really don't have much prep time at all. Plus, feeding 5 other mouths in the house makes it nearly impossible to really prepare my own meals because I am too busy trying to get them to eat the same damn things.

I only wish I could find a plan that didn't cost me $500 per month just to feed my own face. They really stick it to you to eat healthy anymore.

xbarretx
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
My biggest problem is the eating. With my work hours I really don't have much prep time at all. Plus, feeding 5 other mouths in the house makes it nearly impossible to really prepare my own meals because I am too busy trying to get them to eat the same damn things.

I only wish I could find a plan that didn't cost me $500 per month just to feed my own face. They really stick it to you to eat healthy anymore.

"i feel your pain" rep

the only thing that helps is getting my wife on board with it. that way one of us isnt always suggesting eating out or grabbing takeout. ew can both force eachother to cook and eat leftovers. i just bought lots of natural peanut butter to help me not graze thorughout the day on unhealthy stuff and to help make sure i get my protein. we got to costco sometimes and get pork tenderloins and chicken breaks (skinless) and crockpot them all day. good dinner and GREAT leftovers

DMAC
01-11-2009, 09:18 AM
My problem is beer:

1. It's fattening
and
2. I don't feel like doing anything the day after I drink it

xbarretx
01-11-2009, 09:53 AM
My problem is beer:

1. It's fattening
and
2. I don't feel like doing anything the day after I drink it

do what i did DMAC.... lose 120 lbs. i went from 280 to 160 .... now im such a lightweight that 1 - 2 beers gets me a REALLY good buzz. *cheap date alert* LMAO

Guru
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
"i feel your pain" rep

the only thing that helps is getting my wife on board with it. that way one of us isnt always suggesting eating out or grabbing takeout. ew can both force eachother to cook and eat leftovers. i just bought lots of natural peanut butter to help me not graze thorughout the day on unhealthy stuff and to help make sure i get my protein. we got to costco sometimes and get pork tenderloins and chicken breaks (skinless) and crockpot them all day. good dinner and GREAT leftoversPeanut butter? That has to get old.

I am getting sick of chicken all the time though.

I like the nutrisystem idea but it is so overpriced that I can't even consider it.

DMAC
01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
do what i did DMAC.... lose 120 lbs. i went from 280 to 160 .... now im such a lightweight that 1 - 2 beers gets me a REALLY good buzz. *cheap date alert* LMAO
If I lost 120lbs, I would way 60lbs. Then a thimble of beer would get me toasty.

Silock
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM

The biggest thing you can do to try and help that is 1) buy in bulk and 2) prepare your meals for the next day the night before so you can re-heat it.

Guru
01-11-2009, 01:19 PM
The biggest thing you can do to try and help that is 1) buy in bulk and 2) prepare your meals for the next day the night before so you can re-heat it.Trust me, with my clock, it is NOT that simple. don't think I haven't tried that.

googlegoogle
01-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Lots of vids on youtube.

seems to work.

combo of good eating with extra calories(yes, not less to grow those muscles) and cardio,aerobics type excercises.

I am just curious how arm biceps grow without doing heavy weights.

Silock
01-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Lots of vids on youtube.

seems to work.

combo of good eating with extra calories(yes, not less to grow those muscles) and cardio,aerobics type excercises.

I am just curious how arm biceps grow without doing heavy weights.

Biceps don't grow with heavy weights. Biceps grow with reps and light weight.

That's the thing that most people don't understand -- different muscle groups in your body respond to different rep ranges and weight ranges. What's good for your chest may not be true for your arms.

That's partially why I dislike P90X. Some muscles just can't progress without high-weight and low-rep ranges. The low-weight, high-rep stuff is great for a cardio workout, though, which is why it's a great place to start out for those that are out of shape and looking to burn some fat. However, some people are at a point where body weight stuff just isn't enough.

Silock
01-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Trust me, with my clock, it is NOT that simple. don't think I haven't tried that.

You don't have time to pop chicken in the oven for half an hour at night, yet you have time to post 23,000 times on CP? I don't buy it.

The prep time on over-roasted chicken is less than 5 minutes. The rest of the time is just waiting. So, prep it, pop it in and do other stuff while you're waiting for it to finish.

allen_kcCard
01-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I would fit the sitting on my ass and out of shape category...

What do you have to own at home to be able to do this p90x?

xbarretx
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
You don't have time to pop chicken in the oven for half an hour at night, yet you have time to post 23,000 times on CP? I don't buy it.

The prep time on over-roasted chicken is less than 5 minutes. The rest of the time is just waiting. So, prep it, pop it in and do other stuff while you're waiting for it to finish.

http://www.thegbs.com/ants/owned.bmp

good call

aturnis
01-11-2009, 03:37 PM

I'm a pretty lean guy, but a guy I work with is doing the "six week body makeover" to try and cut weight. All he does is bitch about how he's always cooking chicken, and can't use salt, and there's no flavor so he winds up cheating b/c the diet is so bland. Do you know of any other cutting diets that are good for getting weight off and keeping it off?

RedThat
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I was thinking of trying it, but I had second thoughts.

Ive heard great things about the program, but personally I really don't think it's necessary to put yourself through all that hard intensive training just to get ripped. I look at this program as more of a marketing thing.

Of course everybody has their preferences, and Im more of a basic guy, I think thats the best way to go. Just stick to the basics, keep it simple thats the best way imo. If you really want to get ripped, and Im gonna do this myself to get ready to get in shape to look good for the summer, just make sure you really watch what you eat. Limit your caloric intake. Getting ripped is about losing weight and burning bodyfat.

Losing weight is simple just make sure you expend more calories each day then what you consume. if you want to know how many calories you should be eating just go by a rough estimation. take your actual body weight and multiply it by 10. that you should give you an idea of how many calories you need to consume.

as far as the training regimen goes, just do your cardio everyday. low intensity is the best because you'll never lose muscle. go for 1 hour walks each day. and when you hit the gym, go with a moderate weight and do lots of high repetitions for your exercises. start off doing 10 reps for your 1st set, and then your 2nd set go with 15 but dont forget to chop the weight down, and then do 20 reps for your 3rd set. And it's always good to also keep in mind, if you REALLY want to get ripped, do a lot of supersetting. That does the job.

Silock
01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm a pretty lean guy, but a guy I work with is doing the "six week body makeover" to try and cut weight. All he does is bitch about how he's always cooking chicken, and can't use salt, and there's no flavor so he winds up cheating b/c the diet is so bland. Do you know of any other cutting diets that are good for getting weight off and keeping it off?

How old is this guy? Younger people shouldn't have any problem at all with salt. The only "problem" with it is the possibility of retaining water, which just makes you look slightly less cut, but doesn't actually influence fat loss. Seasoning with salt prior to cooking meat will make the food taste more like itself by drawing the water out of the meat. So, he can salt it, leave it for an hour, then come back and wash the salt off of the outside. That might work.

An alternative to salt is potassium chloride, which isn't quite the same, but gets the job done.

As for cutting diets, they're pretty strict, usually. It's all about reducing caloric intake. Tell him to focus on fats and proteins, and lay off the carbs. The proteins and fats will make him feel fuller for longer.

Plus, you can eat all the raw, unsalted, unroasted nuts you can eat and they won't make you fat. The trick is finding those nuts, though.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Nuts

He can try other meats, like lean cuts of pork and turkey. Maybe even bison or ostrich, if he doesn't mind ordering off the internet. Those meats are incredibly healthy.

Since he's complaining about lack of flavor, I can only assume he's not really cooking. Any meat that's properly seasoned, then dropped into a hot skillet with some extra virgin olive oil will have PLENTY of flavor. All you really need is olive oil, salt and pepper and you'll get plenty of flavor.

Salsas are also a great way to add flavor without much added caloric content.

That's about all I can offer aside from the cutting diet I posted above.

Silock
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
as far as the training regimen goes, just do your cardio everyday. low intensity is the best because you'll never lose muscle.

I have 2 problems with this. The first is that if you're properly fed, you won't be losing muscle regardless of how much cardio you do. Remember: Carbohydrate intake prevents muscle loss. It's all about proper nutrition. In other words, unless you're a competitive marathon runner, you're probably not going to be losing muscle from doing cardio, especially if you're properly-fed and are still training with weights.

http://www.shawnlebrunfitness.com/build-muscle/losing-muscle-from-cardio.html

Sure, it's possible for you to lose muscle from doing too much cardio, but it's highly unlikely. Shying away from cardio completely because you think you'll lose muscle is a huge mistake. Only excessive amounts of cardio would cause you to lose muscle because over-training tips the scale towards the catabolic side.

*snip*

So, according to Parillo, aerobics can actually enhance recovery from weight training and increase muscular growth by developing the circulatory pathways that provide nourishment to the muscles. Cardiovascular training is important for fat burning, for good health and for muscle-building.

Losing muscle has more to do with inadequate diet than with excessive aerobics. If you suspect you are losing muscle there are four likely causes:

1. You are not eating enough protein. Protein is the only nutrient that is actually used to build muscle. To stay anabolic you must eat five to six protein containing meals. Each meal should be spaced out approximately three hours apart. Research has proven that if you are physically active, you need a minimum of .8 grams to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

2. Your carbohydrates are too low. Low carb diets are often used for fat loss, but it is a mistake to cut your carbs too drastically. Carbohydrates are protein-sparing, so even if you are eating large amounts of protein, you can still lose muscle if you your carbs are too low.

3. You are not eating enough calories to support muscle growth. This is the most common cause of muscle loss. When your calories are too low, your body goes into "starvation mode." Your metabolism slows down and your body actually burns muscle tissue to conserve energy. Muscle is metabolically active tissue, requiring a great deal of caloric energy just to maintain it. That's why your body will shed muscle if it thinks you are starving.

4. You are not training with weights. It is a common misconception that if you want to lose weight, you should start with cardio only and add the weights later - another big mistake! It is the weight training that keeps you from losing muscle while you are dieting.
You are much more likely to lose muscle from not eating enough than you are from doing too much cardio. All too often, people are afraid to eat a lot and do a lot of cardio at the same time. It doesn't seem to make sense. Logically, it seems like the two would cancel each other out - but the opposite is true. Many people believe they must "starve" the fat by drastically lowering calories. Unfortunately, this approach can cause you to lose muscle along with the fat. The only way to maintain your lean mass while losing fat is to feed the muscles with plenty of nutritious calories and at the same time, burn the fat off with cardio.

Whether your goal is muscle development, fat loss or both, you should always include some form of cardiovascular activity as part of your training program. Unless you're doing some kind of ultra-endurance regimen, AEROBICS DOES NOT CAUSE MUSCLE LOSS, in fact it supports the pathways that help you build it!

The second problem I have with that statement is that you should do low-intensity. The evidence doesn't seem to bear that out.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/103/2/432
Look at the 4th table and the difference in subcutaneous fat loss between the low amount/moderate intensity and the high amount/vigorous intensity groups.

The exercise groups were assigned as follows (30) : 1) high-amount/vigorous-intensity exercise, the caloric equivalent of 20 miles of jogging per week for a 90-kg person at 6580% peak oxygen consumption (O2); 2) low-amount/vigorous-intensity exercise, the caloric equivalent of 12 miles of jogging per week at 6580% peak O2; and 3) low-amount/moderate-intensity exercise, the caloric equivalent of 12 miles of walking per week at 4055% peak O2. For the high-amount/vigorous-intensity group, the specific prescription was to expend 23 kcalkg body wt1wk1. For the two low-amount groups, energy expenditure was 14 kcalkg body wt1wk1. For example, if a subject weighed 100 kg, and was randomly assigned to one of the low-amount groups (14 kcalkg body wt1wk1), then their prescribed weekly caloric expenditure was 14 kcal x 100 kg = 1,400 kcal/wk. The number of minutes of exercise needed per week then depended on their fitness level. If, for example, their peak O2 was 4 liters of oxygen per minute (4 l/min) and they were assigned to the vigorous exercise group, then their exercise work rate was set at a level that required 3 l/min of oxygen consumption (3 l/min is 75% of 4 l/min). The work rate was verified by a submaximal test. The submaximal test involved exercising at increasing work rates until a work rate that required an oxygen consumption of 3 l/min was obtained. The exercise intensity was then maintained at that level by exercising within a heart rate range that corresponded to this initial work rate. The work rate was adjusted at the end of the ramping up period via another maximal and submaximal test. The calculation of caloric expenditure was based on each liter of oxygen consumed during exercise being equivalent to 5 kcal (this was not corrected for respiratory exchange ratio). So, in the above example, an exercise prescription of 1,400 kcal/wk divided by 15 kcal expended/min of exercise at 75% would be obtained by 93 min of exercise per week [(1,400 kcal/wk)/(15 kcal expended/min) = 93 min of exercise/wk].

Details about the prescribed and actual exercise training are included in Table 1. The average weekly exercise frequency for each group is also shown in Table 1. In Table 1 and elsewhere, we describe the amount (defined as kcal of energy expenditure per week) and intensity of exercise as being calorically equivalent to an approximate number of miles of walking or jogging. This was done to help the reader easily understand both the intensity and the amount of exercise prescribed. In fact, very few subjects jogged. Rather, they walked briskly up a moderate to steep grade to achieve the correct intensity (similar to jogging) and/or they exercised on an elliptical trainer or, less often, a stationary bicycle. The low-amount/moderate-intensity and the high-amount groups both averaged 58 min/session for an average of 3.5 or 3.6 times each week, respectively. The low-amount/vigorous-intensity group averaged 43 min per exercise session and 2.9 sessions/wk. Importantly, neither exercise frequency nor exercise duration per session was prescribed but was, within reason, left up to the subject. Rather, the total number of minutes for each subject was prescribed. For example, if a subject was prescribed 200 min/wk, they could choose to do this in four sessions of 50 min each, or five sessions of 40 min each. However, for safety concerns, they were essentially not allowed to choose to do three sessions of 67 min each per week.

Hope that helps. Not saying you're totally wrong in your statements, but I think that there is some evidence out that that disagrees strongly with your statements.

Guru
01-11-2009, 08:58 PM

The prep time on over-roasted chicken is less than 5 minutes. The rest of the time is just waiting. So, prep it, pop it in and do other stuff while you're waiting for it to finish.With the exception of sundays, most of my posting is done from work. I don't have a kitchen at work.

I am sick to death of chicken and pork but that is all my family will eat. You are not in my situation so please don't judge what you know nothing about.

Silock
01-12-2009, 12:57 AM
With the exception of sundays, most of my posting is done from work. I don't have a kitchen at work.

I am sick to death of chicken and pork but that is all my family will eat. You are not in my situation so please don't judge what you know nothing about.

I'm not judging you. I'm just asking what kind of life you lead where you can't spare 10 minutes to take care of yourself. You have to ask yourself if living such a hectic lifestyle is worth it if you're not going to be able to enjoy it.

Seriously... it doesn't take that long to prepare a couple of meals for the next day, and it's worth it in the long run. I know you have time where you just sit and relax. Why not have some chicken baking while you do that?

Guru
01-12-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm not judging you. I'm just asking what kind of life you lead where you can't spare 10 minutes to take care of yourself. You have to ask yourself if living such a hectic lifestyle is worth it if you're not going to be able to enjoy it.

Seriously... it doesn't take that long to prepare a couple of meals for the next day, and it's worth it in the long run. I know you have time where you just sit and relax. Why not have some chicken baking while you do that?A pretty damned hectic one where I don't get enough sleep because of the work hours I keep, where I am always on the run taking care of the things that parents have to take care of. Generally everyone but myself. Same goes for my wife who is even busier than me. We do good to have time to cook and sit down for one meal a day. Dinner. Thats it.

when it comes to food, I need simple and quick but still want variety and not the same damn thing every day. I don't have time for that so I settle for chicken which makes me feel sick at times because it is the same boring meal every night at 3:30 in the morning. I don't even get 3 square meals a day so it is a miracle I am even sudo healthy.

Now, back to trying to get back to sleep because Sunday nights are always fucked up for me because I am used to sleeping during the day.

What I need is solid advice on how to find ways to make my life easier not someone to tell me I'm not doing what I could be when they may or may not lead the same lifestyle I have to.

It doesn't help that I try to save money too. The cost of eating healthy is so ridiculous because they rip you a knew one to do it. Unless you want chicken. barf Even that is becoming expensive. And don't even get me started on the price of supplements.

MOhillbilly
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
yall are more than welcome to come cut wood with me. in about a days time ill cut,split and stack a entire fullsize oak tree.

lordy
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Biceps don't grow with heavy weights. Biceps grow with reps and light weight..

Please cite some evidence for this? (like proper medical evidence not 'gym talk'.)

Toadkiller
01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I started with Power90 and finished that. I also started off about 340 lbs and was out of shape as hell. Did that a couple times along with walking/jogging to get in some sort of shape and now I am on day 61 of p90x. It still kicks my butt and I still enjoy it. The thing is you have to keep pushing play. It doesn't work if you skip a day, or two and think you will make it up later. You have to stick with it, do the program and diet.

On monday I did my very first pull up of my life. It was quite a milestone for me. I am down to around 220 lbs, getting some nice muscle. I no longer have man boobs, I am getting a lot of compliments and have inspired at least 5 people at work to try it out. So anyway I love it and I am a lot more comfortable doing it at home then taking my fat butt into the gym and being all self concious about it.

Also you can download the torrent, I did, I took a look at it. Enjoyed the program so I bought it. I don't mind paying for something I find useful.

Demonpenz
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
download the torrent and save yourself the coin.

Galileo Humpkins
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
So, is P90X worth looking into? I've been mildly interested in the product and have considered downloading it.

BigCatDaddy
01-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I think it for sure has it's place. We do some of the more cardio orientated DVD's during our lunch for about 1/2 an hour just to get the blood flowing. It' won't replace my weight training, but I think it's good for overall fitness.

DMAC
01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I just ate 4 plates of Old Chicago buffet for lunch with no plans to excercise in the near future.

In other words...I didn't stick with the P90

gblowfish
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I thought you were looking for FAX and mis-spelled it.

Christofire
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I know a couple of guys that have been doing P90X together and half stuck with it so far. They're about halfway through, and seem to think it has been good for them.

DMAC
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I thought you were looking for FAX and mis-spelled it.Sometimes I spell so bad I include numbers...:doh!:

Saulbadguy
01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I like the nutrisystem idea but it is so overpriced that I can't even consider it.

I'm starting on Nutrisystem. No idea on how the food tastes or not but I don't find it terribly overpriced when I discount the amount I spend on food every month (and throw some of it away when it spoils).

kaplin42
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't know much about the Px90, but I have been lucky, and get to work with a trainer that does cross fit. Talk about kicking my butt in 20-30 minutes. I like it cause its fast, and I can definately see improvement.

You wont see rippling muscles, but you do see a change in how much your body can do. Weight loss has been okay so far, I think my problem is my intake, i have cut portions and most of the bad stuff down, but still not enough I don't think.

I need to find a diet plan that I can stick to, and was wondering if that cutting diet that silock would work as a fat loss diet?

Great Expectations
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm starting P90x on Monday, I finished rehabilitating my knee yesterday and need to continue on with something.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I started it this week and am in reasonable shape.

It is kicking my ass.

Once you get used to the exercises, you increase the weight or the reps or you do everything in double time. So even if you're really good at it, it'll still kick your ass.

okiedokieokoye
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm on week 2 of the P90. I hurt..but I can't wait to finish.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2010, 06:25 PM

We'll see how it goes so far with me. I'm only on week 1. But the diet is pretty simple. During my work day, I make sure to eat one serving of fruit, 2 servings of greens, 2 servings of dairy, and multiple servings of protein. Not that difficult and not that expensive. All it means is eating a salad for lunch, having some milk in between, and for the protein, I just buy some deli coldcuts and keep it in the fridge.

The key really is portion control. Lots of small meals during the day so that you don't eat as much during lunch or dinner. It has definitely helped me get rid of my dinner appetite and at the very least, I'm eating a hell of a lot healthier during the day (even if I cheat quite a bit at night).

Silock
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I need to find a diet plan that I can stick to, and was wondering if that cutting diet that silock would work as a fat loss diet?

IMO, it's got FAR too many calories for that. You'd need to shave off about 600 calories from it before you could even start calling it a good fat loss diet.

chop
01-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm in the middle of my third week. The only workout I do not like so far is the Yoga. I have never done yoga before so it's a little hard and boring. It is also one of the longer workouts. I will be able to give you a more detailed review after I go through the recovery week next week. So far so good. I've been pretty good on my diet but not great. I plan on kicking it into high gear next week when I travel to Mexico for work.

NewChief
01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm in the middle of my third week. The only workout I do not like so far is the Yoga. I have never done yoga before so it's a little hard and boring. It is also one of the longer workouts. I will be able to give you a more detailed review after I go through the recovery week next week. So far so good. I've been pretty good on my diet but not great. I plan on kicking it into high gear next week when I travel to Mexico for work.

To make yoga good, make it painful (in a good way). Seriously, if you're in pain when you're doing yoga, then you'll get a good endorphin rush and high afterward from it.

Silock
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Please cite some evidence for this? (like proper medical evidence not 'gym talk'.)

What kind of evidence do you want? If you're looking for peer-reviewed stuff, that's all on pubmed, but they don't do much in the way of weight training articles that are that specific.

But basically, it has to do with the way the human body builds muscles and then, specifically, what the biceps do.

Generally, our muscles don't get extremely large on high-weight, low rep sets (something in the 3-6 rep range). That rep range is where you really build strength. Obviously, you'll get some size increases in that range, but, generally, it's not like doing rep ranges of 8-12 (especially 12, and I consider 12 "high"). Lifting low rep ranges with high weight is a great way to build strength, but it's not the most effective way to put on a ton of mass for most people. If your goal is JUST mass, then you'll be better off focusing on the higher rep stuff, which means using lighter weight. Obviously, what is heavy and light depends on the person, but if you're able to complete 12 reps of a bicep curl, the weight is "light" for you.

And all of this really depends on the person, and their specific body composition. It can vary widely between individuals. I'm just talking about what is most common. Your mileage may vary significantly, or it may fall right into line with this.

As for the biceps themselves, they're primarily a stabilizer muscle in compound movements. It's extremely difficult to get gigantic biceps without a corresponding increase in overall arm, upper body and overall body size.

I'm currently on vacation, so I don't have access to all my saved files, so I probably can't post the scientific evidence for your question at the moment. What, exactly, are you looking for?

Guru
01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
My wife purchased this overpriced series back in June. She used it maybe 6 times total.

What a waste of hard earned money.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2010, 10:02 PM
My wife purchased this overpriced series back in June. She used it maybe 6 times total.

If she would have used it for 90 days, maybe it wouldn't have been such a waste.

TigerPig
01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
You can find a plethora of information about working out by just going on the internet. Follow the lead of the power lifters and body builders. Even if you don't want to look like them, they're the ones who live for this and do things the correct way.

Everything I've ever heard says to do compound exercises which work out numerous muscles at once. They say a Squat will actually activate TWO-THIRDS of the muscle in your body. That shit is irreplaceable. Bench presses are a must, as are pullups (or lat pulldowns for those of us who are weak. Rows, shoulder presses, all are good.

And if you want a six pack, its mostly about nutrition. But the next time you're doing situps, try adding a 45 pound weight to your chest. Heavier weight + lower reps = bigger muscles. If you make your ab muscles bigger, you won't have to be as ripped for them to show through. Leave the weight-free crunches to the guys who don't know better. Most powerlifters don't even bother working out their arms. Because with all the rows, bench presses, pull ups, and shoulder presses, they're getting worked out more than enough.

Lastly I find straight-leg deadlifts to be awesome cause they really work out your ass and hamstrings. But you HAVE to be careful. That's a VERY dangerous exercise, if not THE most dangerous. But if you're smart, wear a belt (even if you're a wimp) and focus on keeping your core muscles nice and tight while lifting, you should be fine.

Toadkiller
01-14-2010, 11:29 PM

So it comes with 12 dvd's so she didn't even get to the other 6 dvds. I guess it would be overpriced if you only use it 6 times.

Guru
01-15-2010, 02:53 AM
If she would have used it for 90 days, maybe it wouldn't have been such a waste.

So it comes with 12 dvd's so she didn't even get to the other 6 dvds. I guess it would be overpriced if you only use it 6 times.4 kids

Nothing much more to say. Once she realized she didn't have the time in the day to devote to this DVD series she put it aside. If she had asked me about it before she bought it I could have warned her since I had already tried it. We are lucky if we even get 30 minutes to ourselves to workout much less spend time with each other. To devote an hour or more per day to these DVDs when we don't even have the area to perform the routines, much less the time, was just impossible.

And yes, I do consider it a giant waste of money in that it is DVDs. They still become monotonous because it is the same damn routine when you do a DVD more than twice. This is one of the major reasons I don't like DVD workouts. Like I said, had she consulted me, the purchase would never have happened.

Body for Life by Bill Phillips is a much better workout anyway.

NewChief
01-15-2010, 08:08 AM
4 kids

Nothing much more to say. Once she realized she didn't have the time in the day to devote to this DVD series she put it aside. If she had asked me about it before she bought it I could have warned her since I had already tried it. We are lucky if we even get 30 minutes to ourselves to workout much less spend time with each other. To devote an hour or more per day to these DVDs when we don't even have the area to perform the routines, much less the time, was just impossible.

And yes, I do consider it a giant waste of money in that it is DVDs. They still become monotonous because it is the same damn routine when you do a DVD more than twice. This is one of the major reasons I don't like DVD workouts. Like I said, had she consulted me, the purchase would never have happened.

4 kids? Find a gym with daycare and spend the maximum amount of time you can there. We used to never put out kids in the gym's daycare, but we've started in the last month or so (just on Saturday mornings, and usually one night after work). The rest of the time we get up at 5:00am and go down individually so the other one is home while the kids are asleep. Anyway, the wife and I being able to go the gym together while the kids are taken care of has made our monthly gym dues well worth it.

DMAC
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
4 kids? Find a gym with daycare and spend the maximum amount of time you can there. We used to never put out kids in the gym's daycare, but we've started in the last month or so (just on Saturday mornings, and usually one night after work). The rest of the time we get up at 5:00am and go down individually so the other one is home while the kids are asleep. Anyway, the wife and I being able to go the gym together while the kids are taken care of has made our monthly gym dues well worth it.Yes, that is the way to go. We sometimes just drop the kids off at the gym daycare and just walk around the track to get some time to ourselves.

Swanman
01-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I am in the process of easing myself into P90x. I know that's not the way to do it according to their system, but I tried going into it hardcore and was so sore I could barely walk. I pilot a desk all day and got pretty out of shape.

I am starting to get more into it now. For example, at first I couldn't do one pullup, then I could do 4, now I can do around 6 in around 2 weeks. I like it because it shows me exercises I wouldn't normally do in the gym and it's structured, which is good for me. The yoga and plyometrics kick my ass, I definitely need work there.

Chiefnj2
01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
If you don't work out and sit at your desk all day, isn't any 60 minute daily workout going to get you in better shape after 3 months?

Jethopper
01-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Your a liar if you think p90x isn't tough. It works with your own max reps which continually increase. So if it isn't hard on you, no matter what condition you are in, it is your own lazy fault.

donkhater
01-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm starting it on Monday. My wife's mom bought it for us for X-mas. Need to get a few other peices of equipment before we start.

Neither of us are very big, but could use losing 15-20 pounds. I really want it to just gain some strength and lean up a bit. Getting 'ripped' isn't really a concern of mine.

My biggest concern is making sure I eat right. Not junk food per se, but making sure I get enough carbs, protein and calories and in the right proportions.

Fourtunately, I have a job close to home (3 miles) and very flexible work hours. My wife and I are going to do it during lunch while the kids are in school. Try to keep each other motivated.

My brother-in-law is a trainer and he kind of poo-poos the program. He basically was like,"save your money and I'll give you a regimen." But having someone (DVD or otherwise) there to SHOW you what you should be doing has always been much more effective for me. left to my own or even with my wife I know we wouldn't stick to it. Hopefully we'll stay accountable with this.

Demonpenz
01-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Put some overalls on your kids get some curls in that way, then bench press the fattest, then use the one that's been bad as a speed bag. No wonder my dad was a hoss in his day

NewChief
01-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Put some overalls on your kids get some curls in that way, then bench press the fattest, then use the one that's been bad as a speed bag. No wonder my dad was a hoss in his day

Heh. I used to do sit ups with my kids on my chest when they were infants. And extended arm squats holding the kid instead of a medicine ball.

Demonpenz
01-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Heh. I used to do sit ups with my kids on my chest when they were infants. And extended arm squats holding the kid instead of a medicine ball.

it has to add up. As long as you are doing something for awhile it works. walk around the house with your kids for 30 minutes

epitome1170
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm starting P90x on Monday, I finished rehabilitating my knee yesterday and need to continue on with something.

Don't do the plyometrics if you are straight out of rehab. You should do the CardioX instead. The plyo is too high of impact for someone out of rehab or someone with bad/weak joints.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
4 kids

Nah, I get you. I'm just saying that it's not overpriced if you use it. It's a waste of money if you don't. Overpriced and waste of money are two different things.

I think beachbody offers a 10-min per day program. Or even the Power 90, which is about 35-40 minutes. And they're a lot cheaper. I have trouble getting through the day too. So I'm just waking up at 5:30 every morning, knowing it's going to suck big time for 90 days, and then hopefully after 90 days I can scale down considerably and get my sleep schedule back.

It's pricey, for sure. But I've worked off great workout programs many times in the past, and this is the first to really get me motivated, so it's been more than worth it for me so far.

Great Expectations
01-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Don't do the plyometrics if you are straight out of rehab. You should do the CardioX instead. The plyo is too high of impact for someone out of rehab or someone with bad/weak joints.

I've got a brace to wear and the PT had me doing portions of the leg stuff during my sessions. They didn't have me jumping at all, which is what I have associated with plyometrics in the past. Is that still the case?

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I've got a brace to wear and the PT had me doing portions of the leg stuff during my sessions. They didn't have me jumping at all, which is what I have associated with plyometrics in the past. Is that still the case?

Lot of jumping. Lot of deep knee bends. On leg days, you'll do a ton of squats. If you're just off PT, you might think about Power 90 until you get yourself up to speed. It was a good workout for me, just a little monotonous once you get used to the routine.

Silock
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
YFollow the lead of athletes. Even if you don't want to look like them, they're the ones who live for this and do things the correct way.

Fixed! ;)

Everything I've ever heard says to do compound exercises which work out numerous muscles at once.

Yup.

And if you want a six pack, its mostly about nutrition. But the next time you're doing situps, try adding a 45 pound weight to your chest. Heavier weight + lower reps = bigger muscles. If you make your ab muscles bigger, you won't have to be as ripped for them to show through. Leave the weight-free crunches to the guys who don't know better.

I completely disagree with this. Well, not TOTALLY, but there are a ton of things to do with your core that don't involve weight. Anything that involves stabilization, like planks and side planks, won't require weight to be highly effective. Core is for stabilization. There is, of course, a place for adding weights, but it's not *necessary* to develop a great core, and thus, great abs. Also, I dislike situps. Lower back flexion = bad.

Good weighted ab and core exercises = cable woodchop (I do these every damn workout), cable crunch on a swiss ball, side plank with weighted cable row.

Good bodyweight core stuff = crunches on a swiss ball, reverse crunches, reverse crunches on a swiss ball, swiss ball rolls, swiss ball mountain climbers, L-sits, reverse twisting crunches on a swiss ball

Most powerlifters don't even bother working out their arms. Because with all the rows, bench presses, pull ups, and shoulder presses, they're getting worked out more than enough.

Yup. But if you're just going for looks, working out your arms works, too.

But if you're smart, wear a belt (even if you're a wimp) and focus on keeping your core muscles nice and tight while lifting, you should be fine.

I dislike the idea of belts. Belts make sense if your core sucks donkey nuts. If you NEED a belt to help you lift more, you have an overall strength imbalance in your core. And using a belt to hide that weakness and get stronger elsewhere is only going to make the imbalance worse. It's going to make you dependent upon the belt. By backing off of the weight and improving core strength, you can correct the imbalance and any need for a weight belt. And then you can go back to doing those high-weight lifts with the correct muscle balance and stave off injury. And you'll look awesome-r by doing it without a belt.

Caveat: If you just want to use one for fun, or only use it on certain days when you go for some kind of max record (as a safety device, not a crutch - big difference), that's one thing. But doing it regularly is only going to make you stronger WITH the belt and more imbalanced and injury prone elsewhere. I suppose that doesn't matter for powerlifters that are only in it for numbers they put up, but for guys that actually want overall balanced, functionally strong bodies, it's a big deal.

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/belts_chek.txt

You're absolutely spot-on with the engaging of the core, though. It helps every single lift you could possibly do.

Great Expectations
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm starting week 2 today. P90x has been pretty effing hard, but the soreness reminds me that I'll have results. I am already tightening my belt one spot more than when I started.

Toadkiller
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Good job! I have 3 weeks left to go. It is still as hard as when I first started. I still hate yoga, it sucks. I love plyometrics. When I push very hard It still makes me puke. Ab ripper sucks balls also.

Mr. Arrowhead
01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
im not doing this program, but i am gonna try Workout Insanity, i will tell you all how i like it.

Simply Red
01-25-2010, 11:35 AM

silock has a good body, I'm about to show him I can be just as OCD as him, though.:D

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I've got a friend that started this program last January. He's 5'10 and at that time, he weighed 198 pounds. He never looked "bad" or doughy, just "normal".

Saturday night we all went out to celebrate his birthday. He's now 174 pounds and has a 31.5" waist. His chest and arms are ripped and he seriously looks like a model. His face is leaner and overall, he looks great.

I'm not disciplined enough at this stage in my life to eat like that and do the programmed workouts six days a week but if you have that kind of time, it definitely works.

Shag
01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I started this on Friday, and it's been a painful few days, lol. Plyo is crazy - my hips hurt so bad the next day that I couldn't stand up straight. Did shoulders/arms yesterday, and my triceps are killing me today. Yoga tonight - should be interesting.

I have a hard time with Ab Ripper, though - it sets my lower back on fire (I have some lower back issues), so I have to modify a number of the moves. Anyone else have that problem?

Having a bit of a hard time with the diet, too. They want you to eat so many calories, but of healthy stuff, which is turning out to be difficult - that's a lot of food...

Guru
01-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Nah, I get you. I'm just saying that it's not overpriced if you use it. It's a waste of money if you don't. Overpriced and waste of money are two different things.

I think beachbody offers a 10-min per day program. Or even the Power 90, which is about 35-40 minutes. And they're a lot cheaper. I have trouble getting through the day too. So I'm just waking up at 5:30 every morning, knowing it's going to suck big time for 90 days, and then hopefully after 90 days I can scale down considerably and get my sleep schedule back.

It's pricey, for sure. But I've worked off great workout programs many times in the past, and this is the first to really get me motivated, so it's been more than worth it for me so far.

Power 90 is good but I got tired of the same routine over and over again. That is the problem with all DVD workouts though and why I don't care for them. EA Sports Active on the Wii has been surprisingly good so far. It has a couple glitches and isn't a perfect solution but so far I like it.

NewChief
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Power 90 is good but I got tired of the same routine over and over again. That is the problem with all DVD workouts though and why I don't care for them. EA Sports Active on the Wii has been surprisingly good so far. It has a couple glitches and isn't a perfect solution but so far I like it.

If you want to do something different all the time, check out Crossfit (http://www.crossfit.com/). Different WOTD (workout of the day) posted every day.

Guru
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
If you want to do something different all the time, check out Crossfit (http://www.crossfit.com/). Different WOTD (workout of the day) posted every day.Not a very user friendly website. I'm not even finding the WOTD section other than a page describing what crossfit is and exercise demos.

DrRyan
01-25-2010, 12:57 PM

I'm not anti-P90X, really. I'm more anti-P90X hype. It's fantastic that people are getting off of their asses to do things, and it's a great place to start.

Sounds like you are just the baddest mofo around. Plyometrics is no joke. I would not suggest p90x "as a place to start", that is pretty absurd. I am in pretty damn good shape(hike rim to rim at the grand canyon, rock climb, run a pretty good pace up and down camelback mtn in phoenix) and the p90x work outs get the heart rate elevated and me sweating big time.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Not a very user friendly website. I'm not even finding the WOTD section other than a page describing what crossfit is and exercise demos.

WOTD is the first thing you see. It's formatted like a blog post. Right underneath January 25th, 2010:

Five rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
135 pound thruster, 7 reps

The exercises and demos section will demo all the exercises. There is a good FAQ as well.

Guru
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Sounds like you are just the baddest mofo around. Plyometrics is no joke. I would not suggest p90x "as a place to start", that is pretty absurd. I am in pretty damn good shape(hike rim to rim at the grand canyon, rock climb, run a pretty good pace up and down camelback mtn in phoenix) and the p90x work outs get the heart rate elevated and me sweating big time.
Posted via Mobile DeviceP90x kicks your friggin ass. I would never suggest somebody START that program without doing something less difficult first. Power 90 is a good lead in to P90x. At least spend a week or two doing that before going to P90x.

Guru
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
WOTD is the first thing you see. It's formatted like a blog post. Right underneath January 25th, 2010:

Five rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
135 pound thruster, 7 reps

The exercises and demos section will demo all the exercises. There is a good FAQ as well.OK, I saw that but didn't think that was the WOTD. Was expecting a list of 7-8 exercises.

Looks like they assume you have access to just about every workout machine though.

NewChief
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
OK, I saw that but didn't think that was the WOTD. Was expecting a list of 7-8 exercises.

Looks like they assume you have access to just about every workout machine though.

I don't know. It sort of prides itself on not needing any machines (obviously a rowing machine is a machine). This pictures shows what's really "necessary" for a crossfit gym:
http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/SCELogo.jpg

Here's a complete blog on the gym:
http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm

DMAC
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
That crossfit stuff is a different monster.

I have known people that get sick from doing that. They work out so hard that their liver sends out some kind of muscle stopping toxin or something...

NewChief
01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
That crossfit stuff is a different monster.

I have known people that get sick from doing that. They work out so hard that their liver sends out some kind of muscle stopping toxin or something...

I've done a few WOTDs (I'd like to commit to it, but my gym doesn't really have the correct set up for a lot of the stuff). They're brutal. They look so deceptively easy and simple on the surface, but they'll completely kick your ass.

I think the main thing with them, because they're so short and intense and targeted, is that you really need to stick to the program daily. If you skip days and such, you won't get the same benefits out of it.

Silock
01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a hard time with Ab Ripper, though - it sets my lower back on fire (I have some lower back issues), so I have to modify a number of the moves. Anyone else have that problem?

Anything that causes you to round your lower back will cause lower back issues. Unfortunately, this is just about EVERY move in Ab Ripper X. Not good at all.

Do these three exercises:

Superman Extensions
Planks
Birddogs

In that order. Hold the Supermans and Birddogs for 5-10 seconds, do 15 reps, 3 sets. Work on holding your planks for up to 2 minutes, 3 sets. Also, if you can't do a lot of hip bridges, start working those in. This will really help create a naturally strong lower back, instead of teaching your body to round the lower back, causing pain.

Silock
01-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay...? I didn't say it was a "joke." I said it was a good place to start. I would also suggest that you are doing two different types of cardio training there. Hiking and running are steady-state activities. The plyometrics in P90X are more of an interval-type setup, which is much, much different from simply staying at a steady heart-rate, even if that steady heart-rate is high.

Guru
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Anything that causes you to round your lower back will cause lower back issues. Unfortunately, this is just about EVERY move in Ab Ripper X. Not good at all.

Do these three exercises:

Superman Extensions
Planks
Birddogs

In that order. Hold the Supermans and Birddogs for 5-10 seconds, do 15 reps, 3 sets. Work on holding your planks for up to 2 minutes, 3 sets. Also, if you can't do a lot of hip bridges, start working those in. This will really help create a naturally strong lower back, instead of teaching your body to round the lower back, causing pain.OK, I am familiar with superman extensions and I think I understand what a plank is but a birddog?

Silock
01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8szJuzPt-sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8szJuzPt-sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftA7H-VM4fc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftA7H-VM4fc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAqZnu-lEhg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAqZnu-lEhg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Silock
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
BTW, I'm not saying that every single exercise that causes you to round your back is BAD. I'm saying that they're bad for people with back pain. And people without back pain should do those exercises that cause lower back flexion very carefully so that they don't train themselves to keep bad lower back form or cause lower back pain.

googlegoogle
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
thread is poor.

we need you guys who use it to show progress photos.

youtube has some vids.

googlegoogle
01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
how important are the supplements?

chiefzilla1501
01-25-2010, 05:55 PM

I may not be the expert on this, but I always feel like you could do without the supplements if you pay close attention to your nutrition. I usually take a protein shake, but I don't see any reason to pay for the recovery drink. Just a marketing ploy to make you shell out more money for it. And the entire diet revolves around training your body to burn carbs more efficiently, which is basically your energy boost right there.

By the way, I'm 2 weeks in, am feeling but not seeing results. But I wake up at 6am every day (2 hours before I'm used to) and I don't have any problem keeping my energy level high during the workout. Without supplements.

Silock
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM

Most supplements are a gimmick. The only one that's scientifically proven to be effective is Creatine.

carlos3652
01-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Day 1 - Nutritionally easy day, workout, not so much... dead by abs ripper...

Guru
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8szJuzPt-sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ftA7H-VM4fc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAqZnu-lEhg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>Sweet. Thanks.

BigCatDaddy
01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Most supplements are a gimmick. The only one that's scientifically proven to be effective is Creatine.

I didn't see the list of supplements they recommend, but there are more more supplements that work besides Creatine depending on what you are taking them for.

Simply Red
01-26-2010, 06:56 AM
I didn't see the list of supplements they recommend, but there are more more supplements that work besides Creatine depending on what you are taking them for.

HGH? Fuck yes.

BigCatDaddy
01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
HGH? **** yes.

LOL, I was thinking more along the lines of fish oil, cissus and thyroid stimulators, but yeah HGH FTW!.

Great Expectations
01-26-2010, 08:36 AM
What about Whey Protein as a recovery drink?

Simply Red
01-26-2010, 09:16 AM
and by the way, Silock can do a thousand, now.

BigCatDaddy
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM

It's a good idea, but honestly your whole diet should be about recovery, just not during the "golden hour".

Shag
01-26-2010, 09:47 AM

From what I understand, a recovery drink should be a few hundred calories, and should have a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. So, a protein shake wouldn't fit the bill. I've heard of people using chocolate milk as a recovery drink...

DMAC
01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
From what I understand, a recovery drink should be a few hundred calories, and should have a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. So, a protein shake wouldn't fit the bill. I've heard of people using chocolate milk as a recovery drink...Beer.

NewChief
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Beer.

There was actually a recent article in outside about recovery drinks. Beer was one of the drinks they profiled... and it's not really that bad as a recovery drink.

DMAC
01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
There was actually a recent article in outside about recovery drinks. Beer was one of the drinks they profiled... and it's not really that bad as a recovery drink.Of course. It's the nectar of the gods. Every morning when I feel like total ass...I just chug a couple of beers and I'm doing ok.

Gotta keep that up throughout the day though....hmmm...no worries!

Silock
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
LOL, I was thinking more along the lines of fish oil, cissus and thyroid stimulators, but yeah HGH FTW!.

That's not the kind of supplement I'm talking about. Those are dietary supplements, not workout supplements. I'm talking about supplements that "GIVE YOU MASSIVE PUMPS AND BOOST NO2!!!!!" Those are gimmicky.

Silock
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
There was actually a recent article in outside about recovery drinks. Beer was one of the drinks they profiled... and it's not really that bad as a recovery drink.

Except for the little fact that alcohol inhibits protein synthesis and muscle building :( Not the kind of thing I'd be looking for in a recovery drink. It's got good energy content, but bad if you want to actually recover.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10776669

Silock
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
From what I understand, a recovery drink should be a few hundred calories, and should have a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. So, a protein shake wouldn't fit the bill. I've heard of people using chocolate milk as a recovery drink...

Chocolate milk is a great recovery drink. Just make sure you're not using whole milk. 2% or less is good. Less fat = quicker absorption.

Great Expectations
01-29-2010, 11:33 AM
What supplements/drinks/pills would you recommend for trying to slim down while on P90x or a similar exercise program?

Silock
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
High quality fish oil and a multivitamin.

donkhater
02-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Well,

Day 30 is here and I haven't lost 1 pound. I'm 6'1" and 207. I feel noticably more toned through the chest and arms and can do all the reps in the ab ripper.

I'm wondering if I'm actually eating enough protein. My guess is that I'm not, but I'm not really hungry either.

DMAC
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Well,

Day 30 is here and I haven't lost 1 pound. I'm 6'1" and 207. I feel noticably more toned through the chest and arms and can do all the reps in the ab ripper.

I'm wondering if I'm actually eating enough protein. My guess is that I'm not, but I'm not really hungry either.Burning fat and building muscle. By day 90 you wont just feel tone, you will look it also.

Shag
02-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Well,

I'm wondering if I'm actually eating enough protein. My guess is that I'm not, but I'm not really hungry either.

Today is day 26 for me. I'm down 4-5 lbs, which is less than I expected, given that I was not working out previously. I'm eating (mostly) clean and working out hard - I expected more results by now. I'm going to keep at it and see what happens, but I'm a little disappointed so far.

I'm hoping some fat loss is being offset by muscle (and I'm sure at least some is), but how fast can you really add muscle weight?

How closely are you following the nutrition plan? I'm supposed to be taking in 2400 calories a day, which I'm finding very difficult - that's a LOT of food while eating clean...

donkhater
02-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Today is day 26 for me. I'm down 4-5 lbs, which is less than I expected, given that I was not working out previously. I'm eating (mostly) clean and working out hard - I expected more results by now. I'm going to keep at it and see what happens, but I'm a little disappointed so far.

I'm hoping some fat loss is being offset by muscle (and I'm sure at least some is), but how fast can you really add muscle weight?

How closely are you following the nutrition plan? I'm supposed to be taking in 2400 calories a day, which I'm finding very difficult - that's a LOT of food while eating clean...

I'm following the Abs diet, which, from what I can tell, is pretty similar to the nutrition plan the P90X lays out. I find it much easier to follow. My philosphy on this is if I can't find a diet I can live with, it ain't gonna work long term.

So yes, my disappointment could be directly tied to the diet, but I don't think so. I never really ate that much fat before, and I'm watching my carbs like a hawk now (eating them early in the day prior to workouts; 1 serving max at dinner and none after). Like I said I probably could be taking in more protein, but my body certainly doesn't feel neglected food-wise.

OnTheWarpath58
02-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Question:

I found a copy of the nutrition guide, and did the calculations regarding caloric intake.

I'm trying to lose 30 pounds of fat, how is eating 3100 calories a day going to accomplish that?

Great Expectations
02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm on day 29 and I haven't lost as much weight as I expected. I also feel a lot stronger and have noticed significant increases in definition (I had virtually none prior to).

I have experienced very quick weight loss on the Sonoma Diet and Atkins before. I am going to switch to the Atkins Diet and keep doing the workouts to see if I can experience bigger losses.

donkhater
02-16-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm on day 29 and I haven't lost as much weight as I expected. I also feel a lot stronger and have noticed significant increases in definition (I had virtually none prior to).

I have experienced very quick weight loss on the Sonoma Diet and Atkins before. I am going to switch to the Atkins Diet and keep doing the workouts to see if I can experience bigger losses.

Well, I would be careful about that. You need the carbs to fuel your workout.

If you notice the 30 day 'after' pictures, most don't seem to be too far off from their 'before' pictures.

Like you, I feel much stronger and defined. Even my pants are a little looser. Quite frankly I'm not expecting much more than 10-15 pounds of weight loss for the total program so I'm think a lot will come in the next month or so.

I'm pretty braod-shouldered and haven't done much weight training prior to this regiment, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not looking to bulk up at all, but I do want more strength and flexibility through my core and dropping the spare tire would be great, too.

Bi_polar
02-16-2010, 09:26 AM
It's believed by some that Chuck Norris actually 'backed down' from Silock, back in 2003.

Shag
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Question:

I found a copy of the nutrition guide, and did the calculations regarding caloric intake.

I'm trying to lose 30 pounds of fat, how is eating 3100 calories a day going to accomplish that?

I'm actually in the exact same boat - shooting for 30lbs of fat loss. You're supposed to round your calculated number down to the level in the guide, which would mean 3000 calories for you (and me). If you're interested in weight loss, you're supposed to take 500 calories off that. I ended up just dropping down to level II, which is 2400 calories/day, and I find it difficult to eat that much.

There's a lot of talk in the P90X world about how under-fueling (under-eating) your body will negatively affect your results. That's a hard concept for me to grasp, but they say that if you have too much of a daily caloric deficit, your body goes into starvation mode and starts conserving fat.

Silock
02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Well,

Not down a pound? Cut calories. By a lot. You should be down at LEAST 5 pounds if you're eating 500 calories under maintenance and doing this program. Do you know your BMR?

Silock
02-16-2010, 10:22 AM

It depends on the weight you're moving and if you've ever lifted before. It varies from person to person, so there's really no way to tell.

Silock
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Question:

Geezus FUCK that's a lot of calories. Why don't you try 2100 first and see how that works, and then drop it from there?

Silock
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, I would be careful about that. You need the carbs to fuel your workout.

That's not strictly true.

http://www.begin2dig.com/2010/01/fasting-and-workouts.html

That link shows multiple studies where professional athletes had no problem performing while fasting. You don't NEED carbs to fuel your workout, especially if you have body fat to lose. All that fat is stored for a reason -- excess energy to be used when the body doesn't have enough from diet. Use it! There's potentially YEARS worth of energy stored there.

I have worked out in a fasted state many times before and it had no effect on how much I could lift or how hard I could work. I did *feel* a bit more tired, but it didn't affect my performance.

I'm not saying you have to work out in a fasted state, either. I'm simply saying that the carbs aren't an absolute necessary part.

Silock
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
It's believed by some that Chuck Norris actually 'backed down' from Silock, back in 2003.

Those people are now dead by Chuck Norris' hand. I'd be careful if I were you. Don't offend the Norris.

OnTheWarpath58
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Geezus FUCK that's a lot of calories. Why don't you try 2100 first and see how that works, and then drop it from there?

I'm just going by what the nutrition guide says.

And FTR, I haven't started. I've been reading this thread and doing other research to determine if this right for me.

http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/P90X-Nutrition-Guide-12-29-091.xls

Silock
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
That's a hard concept for me to grasp, but they say that if you have too much of a daily caloric deficit, your body goes into starvation mode and starts conserving fat.

That is total bullshit. You have to ACTUALLY be starving for that to happen. Like Dying in Africa starving. I've done 1200 calories per day (700 under my BMR), and 2 days of fasting in a week at the same time and still been working out and losing fat. I don't do it all the time, but I have before with no ill-effects.

Like I said above, the body has plenty of extra energy. It will use it if you give it a reason to. You'd have to have a severely restrained caloric deficit for a VERY long time for you to actually be in starvation mode. I wouldn't worry about consuming too little calories.

It always comes down to calories in vs. calories out. If you want to lose weight, you have to cut calories, and doing it by a LOT doesn't hurt anything when you have fat energy to spare.

Shag
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
That is total bullshit. You have to ACTUALLY be starving for that to happen. Like Dying in Africa starving. I've done 1200 calories per day (700 under my BMR), and 2 days of fasting in a week at the same time and still been working out and losing fat. I don't do it all the time, but I have before with no ill-effects.

Like I said above, the body has plenty of extra energy. It will use it if you give it a reason to. You'd have to have a severely restrained caloric deficit for a VERY long time for you to actually be in starvation mode. I wouldn't worry about consuming too little calories.

It always comes down to calories in vs. calories out. If you want to lose weight, you have to cut calories, and doing it by a LOT doesn't hurt anything when you have fat energy to spare.

Interesting. While I've had some doubts about the concept, it's all over the internet, and I haven't found much that really discredits the theory. Do you happen to have any links I could read that would indicate this is a fallacy? Do you think there's merit to the concept that your metabolism would slow down at a large caloric deficit?

According to the Harris Benedict Equation, and not counting in the P90X workouts, my BMR is around 2500 calories. The P90X workouts are said to burn around 600 calories, which would bring me to 3100. So, I guess I'm okay eating 2400/day. I'm more comfortable around 1800-2000 most days, but the "starvation mode" thing scares me into eating more...

NewChief
02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
The thing I read last night was take your weight and multiply by 11. That puts me at 2100 calories (and I know I need to be below that to really start losing weight), which sounds about right. That's your baseline maintenance daily caloric intake.

It admitted that it was a very rough formula, but it sounds somewhat feasible.

Shag
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Interesting. While I've had some doubts about the concept, it's all over the internet, and I haven't found much that really discredits the theory. Do you happen to have any links I could read that would indicate this is a fallacy? Do you think there's merit to the concept that your metabolism would slow down at a large caloric deficit?

According to the Harris Benedict Equation, and not counting in the P90X workouts, my BMR is around 2500 calories. The P90X workouts are said to burn around 600 calories, which would bring me to 3100. So, I guess I'm okay eating 2400/day. I'm more comfortable around 1800-2000 most days, but the "starvation mode" thing scares me into eating more...

Another couple questions:

- Does a large caloric deficit have an impact on your ability to build muscle?
- How do you feel about incorporating a higher calorie day to restimulate metabolism?

Silock
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Interesting. While I've had some doubts about the concept, it's all over the internet, and I haven't found much that really discredits the theory. Do you happen to have any links I could read that would indicate this is a fallacy?

http://www.warriordiet.com/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,38/

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/60/1/29
(If you understand the link, awesome. If you don't, it basically says that during fasting, the body switched to burning fat for energy.)

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/5/1244
(This one is a bit negatively slanted, because it showed no differences between an intermittent fasting diet and a standard diet, but again, it shows that lowering a caloric intake at least does not negatively affect metabolism.)

Do you think there's merit to the concept that your metabolism would slow down at a large caloric deficit?

It's very, very difficult to damage your metabolism. Yes, there IS merit to it, but again, it only happens at very large, sustained caloric deficits. Simply eating a lot less and still providing your body with energy isn't enough to slow down your metabolism if you have fat to burn. Your body WILL burn its fat. There's an evolutionary reason this mechanism exists in our bodies.

I would say that 2500 is EXTREMELY optimistic, but I don't know your measurements. I'm 5'11", 182 lbs, and lean, and my BMR is about 1850. Burning 600 calories is also extremely optimistic, but again, it varies depending on how much mass you're carrying. It's definitely possible.

I wouldn't worry about "starvation mode." That's a factoid, with very little real science behind it. It takes an extreme caloric deficit for a long time to really slow the metabolism. Our food now is more calorie-dense than it has ever been. Our species has not only survived, but become the most successful species of mammal to have ever existed. And we did it on far less calories than the average modern American diet. Don't worry about it.

Silock
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Another couple questions:

- Does a large caloric deficit have an impact on your ability to build muscle?
- How do you feel about incorporating a higher calorie day to restimulate metabolism?

1) No.

2) Completely unnecessary.

Read these:

http://johnbarban.com/tag/metabolism/

Carlota69
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine gave me the P90X--he's loaded. gave them to all his friends--I havent done much of it becasue I already have a trainer who kills me 3-4 times a week and I dont want to fuck up his flow (in regards to arm and leg days), but I love the Plyo, Kempo and Cardio X workouts. Im super entertained and I burned some serious calories. Plus since I didnt buy the DVD, I have nothing invested. So I dont expect a thing from it. Im just entertained and having fun with it. :thumb:

tooge
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
I created my own workout based on the P90 and some MMA training. I basically do 6 intense excercises for 30 seconds each (total 3 minutes) then rest for 1 minute then do another 6 excercises for 30 seconds each, then rest one minute, then do it one more time with 6 different excercises. After this first cycle of 18 different excercises, I repeat the entire thing once. Then I do the Ab routine. It ends up being 18 minutes of pretty intense cardio, muscle work, and core work. I just started this and will move to a third cycle for a total of 27 minutes in a few weeks.

Carlota69
02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
:)I created my own workout based on the P90 and some MMA training. I basically do 6 intense excercises for 30 seconds each (total 3 minutes) then rest for 1 minute then do another 6 excercises for 30 seconds each, then rest one minute, then do it one more time with 6 different excercises. After this first cycle of 18 different excercises, I repeat the entire thing once. Then I do the Ab routine. It ends up being 18 minutes of pretty intense cardio, muscle work, and core work. I just started this and will move to a third cycle for a total of 27 minutes in a few weeks.

That sounds interesting and quite franklyt, time conserving. Time is my biggest issue with my cardio workouts. Feel like sharing exactly what you do?

Shag
02-16-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.warriordiet.com/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,38/

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/60/1/29
(If you understand the link, awesome. If you don't, it basically says that during fasting, the body switched to burning fat for energy.)

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/5/1244
(This one is a bit negatively slanted, because it showed no differences between an intermittent fasting diet and a standard diet, but again, it shows that lowering a caloric intake at least does not negatively affect metabolism.)

Thanks! I'll give those a read when I have a few minutes.

I would say that 2500 is EXTREMELY optimistic, but I don't know your measurements. I'm 5'11", 182 lbs, and lean, and my BMR is about 1850. Burning 600 calories is also extremely optimistic, but again, it varies depending on how much mass you're carrying. It's definitely possible.

I wouldn't worry about "starvation mode." That's a factoid, with very little real science behind it. It takes an extreme caloric deficit for a long time to really slow the metabolism. Our food now is more calorie-dense than it has ever been. Our species has not only survived, but become the most successful species of mammal to have ever existed. And we did it on far less calories than the average modern American diet. Don't worry about it.

Ah, I see what happened. I'm 6' 1", 220 lbs. The BMR calculators I can find put me at ~2140 calories/day. The Harris Benedict Equation adds an "activity factor", to determine daily energy expenditure. Using the lowest activity factor ("sedentary") puts me around the 2500 mark.

The P90X folks claim that the workouts should burn around 600 calories. I have no idea if that's the case, but my HR really gets going - during the cardio workouts, I seem to sit in the 160-180 range much of the time, though that's based on spot-checking. I don't suppose there's a good way to figure out calorie burn?

So, in theory, if I stay below ~2700 calories/day, I should lose weight...

Silock
02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Ah, I see what happened. I'm 6' 1", 220 lbs. The BMR calculators I can find put me at ~2140 calories/day. The Harris Benedict Equation adds an "activity factor", to determine daily energy expenditure. Using the lowest activity factor ("sedentary") puts me around the 2500 mark.

Optimistic, even for "sedentary."

The P90X folks claim that the workouts should burn around 600 calories. I have no idea if that's the case, but my HR really gets going - during the cardio workouts, I seem to sit in the 160-180 range much of the time, though that's based on spot-checking. I don't suppose there's a good way to figure out calorie burn?

Get a heart rate monitor.

So, in theory, if I stay below ~2700 calories/day, I should lose weight...

Sure, but VERY slowly, and that's only if you NEVER miss a date, always give every workout 100% and never at ALL cheat on your diet. Seems a bit unrealistic to me.

Remember 3200 calories per pound. Even IF you burn 3000 calories per day total, at a 300 calorie deficit, it will take you YEARS to burn off all that extra fat, realistically. However, if you drop that caloric intake to 1600-1800, still burn 3000, then you're really talking. You could bust your ass for 2 months and have a kick ass body, or you can take it easy on yourself for years, constantly worry about whether or not you overate that day or worked out hard enough and *maybe* eventually get the body you want.

Personally, I'd rather bust my ass and have time to enjoy being a fucking stud this summer, but that's just me.

tooge
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
:)

That sounds interesting and quite franklyt, time conserving. Time is my biggest issue with my cardio workouts. Feel like sharing exactly what you do?

Sure, my excercises follow. I cant remember exactly how I have them grouped, but I tried to group them so that I wouldn't be working out the exact same body part in succession.

Example:

Group 1
dumbell deadlift
squat thrusts
kick outs (pushup position but running)
curls
lateral raises
lateral slide (plyometric)

rest one minute

Group 2
one legged squats
chair dips
lateral hops (plyometric)
knee highs with dumbells
jumping jacks
squat to calf raise

rest one minute

Group 3
run stance switch
shoulder shrugs
lunge run
knees to elbows
walking lunge front then back
froward and reverse hops

again, I am at work right now and cant remember the exact grouping then repeat the entire 3 groups a second time. It ends up taking about 20 minutes. I am in pretty good shape and so far I am gassed after 2 cycles of these. Almost puked the first time I did it.

Shag
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Sure, but VERY slowly, and that's only if you NEVER miss a date, always give every workout 100% and never at ALL cheat on your diet. Seems a bit unrealistic to me.

Remember 3200 calories per pound. Even IF you burn 3000 calories per day total, at a 300 calorie deficit, it will take you YEARS to burn off all that extra fat, realistically. However, if you drop that caloric intake to 1600-1800, still burn 3000, then you're really talking. You could bust your ass for 2 months and have a kick ass body, or you can take it easy on yourself for years, constantly worry about whether or not you overate that day or worked out hard enough and *maybe* eventually get the body you want.

Personally, I'd rather bust my ass and have time to enjoy being a fucking stud this summer, but that's just me.

Oh, I agree - I was just talking in theory. An 1800 - 2000 calorie/day diet shouldn't be too hard for me most days, and should hopefully result in reasonably fast loss.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Where is an accurate BMR calculator?

Silock
02-16-2010, 02:40 PM

There aren't any really accurate ones online. Just do a bunch and take the lowest number.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Anywhere from 2100-2500.

I'm eating around 1400-1600 calories per day with very little exercise and seeing results.

Silock
02-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not surprised. Doesn't take exercise to lose weight. It does take exercise to look good, but not THAT much.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm not surprised. Doesn't take exercise to lose weight. It does take exercise to look good, but not THAT much.

I'm a lazy shit. I'd rather play games for several hours than exercise for 30 min. I do get out and walk 2-3 times per day but not very briskly. Once the weather warms up i'm going back to walking/jogging. I'm not concerned about looking cut, just want to be not fat/overweight.

Silock
02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, you're doing the right thing.

Carlota69
02-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Sure, my excercises follow. I cant remember exactly how I have them grouped, but I tried to group them so that I wouldn't be working out the exact same body part in succession.

Example:

Group 1
dumbell deadlift
squat thrusts
kick outs (pushup position but running)
curls
lateral raises
lateral slide (plyometric)

rest one minute

Group 2
one legged squats
chair dips
lateral hops (plyometric)
knee highs with dumbells
jumping jacks
squat to calf raise

rest one minute

Group 3
run stance switch
shoulder shrugs
lunge run
knees to elbows
walking lunge front then back
froward and reverse hops

again, I am at work right now and cant remember the exact grouping then repeat the entire 3 groups a second time. It ends up taking about 20 minutes. I am in pretty good shape and so far I am gassed after 2 cycles of these. Almost puked the first time I did it.

Sounds good and intense--may give it a shot. Thank you ;-)

Great Expectations
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm trying to lose weight and tone up, what do you think about using Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60? How about something like Lipofuze?

Silock
02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Why don't you just take your money and flush it down the toilet instead?

Guru
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Safe to say he doesn't recommend that brand at all. LMAO

googlegoogle
02-17-2010, 01:58 AM

tape measure?

Count Zarth
02-17-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm not concerned about looking cut, just want to be not fat/overweight.

God bless you.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

melbar
02-17-2010, 02:44 AM
the diet is the hard part to me.....workout rocks!

Carlota69
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I did the arms shoulder workout last night--not so bad--need heavier weights tho--so it could be tougher. However, the AbRipper X is HARD! Wow. I could barely do half of it. I have a sore hip flexor thats getting in the way too but, wow it was tough.

Silock
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM
After 2 weeks, you'll be looking for ways to make it tougher.

wildcat09
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I have done the complete 90 days 3 times and I love it. I am no longer concerned with how much I can bench or squat so its completely for health reasons and to stay in shape. I have been able to dunk again, which I haven't been able to do since college. I highly recommend it. Beats paying monthly dues at the local gym. This is merely my opinion.

donkhater
03-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Well, it's been 60 days since I began. The first 30 days I didn't lose any weight and the after picture didn't show a lot of improvement (didn't really expect that to).

The last 30 days I've dropped 6 pounds (207 to 201. I'm 6'0") and have trimmed up considerably. I'm at the last hole on my belt loop (one hole tighter than I had been) and I'm even starting to hitch up the pants occasionally.

For those going throught this, I could barely do the dive bomber pushups the first week in the 'Chest and Back' DVD. This week, starting phase 3, I did 20 total when I got to that set. I couldn't believe it.

I'm starting to max out the effectiveness of the bands that I'm using in certain excersises, but they work extremely well for some (I've snapped 3). FYI I haven't been following the diet or any diet, really. But I've definately cut back on portions, fattier foods and unrefined carbs. I haven't taken the 60 day picture yet, but I know already I'll see a big difference throught the arms and chest. I don't have the six-pack (I don't think my diet will get me to that) but I've knocked a bunch of flab off the belly area.

Five more weeks! Interestingly, day 90 falls on my birthday. I hadn't planned it that way, but it's kinda cool.

chiefzilla1501
03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Well, it's been 60 days since I began. The first 30 days I didn't lose any weight and the after picture didn't show a lot of improvement (didn't really expect that to).

The last 30 days I've dropped 6 pounds (207 to 201. I'm 6'0") and have trimmed up considerably. I'm at the last hole on my belt loop (one hole tighter than I had been) and I'm even starting to hitch up the pants occasionally.

For those going throught this, I could barely do the dive bomber pushups the first week in the 'Chest and Back' DVD. This week, starting phase 3, I did 20 total when I got to that set. I couldn't believe it.

I'm starting to max out the effectiveness of the bands that I'm using in certain excersises, but they work extremely well for some (I've snapped 3). FYI I haven't been following the diet or any diet, really. But I've definately cut back on portions, fattier foods and unrefined carbs. I haven't taken the 60 day picture yet, but I know already I'll see a big difference throught the arms and chest. I don't have the six-pack (I don't think my diet will get me to that) but I've knocked a bunch of flab off the belly area.

Five more weeks! Interestingly, day 90 falls on my birthday. I hadn't planned it that way, but it's kinda cool.

Agreed. I'm about 70 days in. I was very out of shape, but I think I have a decent metabolism. So it took about 50 days to start to get rid of my small pooch. Took me about 60 days to get through the entire Ab Ripper video.

I've stuck largely with the diet. Of course, I drink what I want (a lot) and if I'm at a real good restaurant, don't freak out because I only ordered a salad. But now I know the basics. High protein to burn your fat early. Eventually switch over to whole grains and fruits. Pretty easy concept.

Very manageable. Definitely seeing awesome results. The only drawback is that I do workouts in the morning, which has been tough to wake up for and I'm a little tired going into work. But on the whole, it's been really,really awesome. And I recommend it to anyone who needs motivation to get in ridiculous shape in a hurry.

donkhater
03-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Agreed. I'm about 70 days in. I was very out of shape, but I think I have a decent metabolism. So it took about 50 days to start to get rid of my small pooch. Took me about 60 days to get through the entire Ab Ripper video.

I've stuck largely with the diet. Of course, I drink what I want (a lot) and if I'm at a real good restaurant, don't freak out because I only ordered a salad. But now I know the basics. High protein to burn your fat early. Eventually switch over to whole grains and fruits. Pretty easy concept.

Very manageable. Definitely seeing awesome results. The only drawback is that I do workouts in the morning, which has been tough to wake up for and I'm a little tired going into work. But on the whole, it's been really,really awesome. And I recommend it to anyone who needs motivation to get in ridiculous shape in a hurry.

Yeah, the whole 'about an hour a day' is a little misleading. Each day you do resistance training (50 min to 1hr) includes ab ripper X (16 minutes). Then one day is yoga which is 90 minutes. So only 2 out of the 6 days is a hour long workout.

I think it is a good routine to do in the winter months. I don't think I would be able to stick with it as well as I have been in the spring or summer. With the weather getting nicer, I'm glad I'm almost done. Now, I'll still give effort to maintain my gains (and they give hints on how to), but 1.5 hr/day is unlikely, which shoudln't matter, since I'm much more active in the spring/summer months.

Shag
03-18-2010, 07:41 AM

Congrats! Today is day 56 for me. Down 15 lbs so far, and hoping to drop at least 10 more before completing the 90 days. Not sure if I'll get there or not, but that's my goal. Have definitely added muscle, as well.

I'm looking forward to starting phase 3, and seeing how much progress I've made on all the pushup routines - I have a feeling it's going to be a big difference.

I'm starting to think about what I want to do once I'm done with this program. My summer schedule is pretty busy, which is going to be a challenge, but I want to make sure I at least maintain the progress I've made...

donkhater
03-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Congrats! Today is day 56 for me. Down 15 lbs so far, and hoping to drop at least 10 more before completing the 90 days. Not sure if I'll get there or not, but that's my goal. Have definitely added muscle, as well.

I'm looking forward to starting phase 3, and seeing how much progress I've made on all the pushup routines - I have a feeling it's going to be a big difference.

I'm starting to think about what I want to do once I'm done with this program. My summer schedule is pretty busy, which is going to be a challenge, but I want to make sure I at least maintain the progress I've made...

Yeah, my goal was just to lose anywhere from 10-15 pounds, tone up through the upper body and core and lose most of the belly fat. I'm satisfied with the results I've seen so far. I wish I was a little more disciplined with regards to the diet, but I think the changes I've made are good. I don't drink much at all. Sweets are ok, but I rarely crave them. It's the salty carb snacks and white breads that kill me.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the improvement you've made when you begin phase 3 from what you've mentioned here.

Bill Lundberg
03-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I've had these DVD's for 2 years now and have made 2 completely half assed attempts at it only to give up after 3 workouts due to soreness. It's been driving me crazy lately so Sunday I decided to "Bring It" and take it seriously this time. I made sure to not go overboard early as I have a tendency to do and to fight through the pain. I'm only 5 days in, but feeling much better throughout the day. I'm sore as hell, but for the first time I'm embracing the pain as I know it's progress. I'm also eating better.

I'm doing this solely for health reasons, I've never been and never will be huge. That being said the benefits not just physically but mentally as well are well worth the hour to hour and a half a day. I'm actually starting to look forward to working out each day. Hopefully that continues.

Toadkiller
03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
I am in my second round of p90x. Still love everything about it but the yoga. I hate yoga, don't understand why anyone would like yoga, yoga sucks. That being said I can definitely tell a difference. My man boobs are gone, replaced with muscle, I can do a damn pull up and chin up now and I am starting to get that tricep muscle band. I feel great but not really losing a ton of weight, just adding a ton of muscle. Just to let you know where I was coming from I started at about 340 lbs, did power 90 first, walked then jogged then ran myself down to 230ish did p90x and by the end of it turned a lot of the flab into muscle.

donkhater
03-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I've had these DVD's for 2 years now and have made 2 completely half assed attempts at it only to give up after 3 workouts due to soreness. It's been driving me crazy lately so Sunday I decided to "Bring It" and take it seriously this time. I made sure to not go overboard early as I have a tendency to do and to fight through the pain. I'm only 5 days in, but feeling much better throughout the day. I'm sore as hell, but for the first time I'm embracing the pain as I know it's progress. I'm also eating better.

I'm doing this solely for health reasons, I've never been and never will be huge. That being said the benefits not just physically but mentally as well are well worth the hour to hour and a half a day. I'm actually starting to look forward to working out each day. Hopefully that continues.

Fight through the soreness. That is one revelation that I took from this experience. I was never a big weight training guy, so I, too was sore for about the first week and a half. but I realized that it didn't mean that I was tired. Once I warmed up properly and stretched a bit, I could keep going no problem.

BTW, in the first phase, the push-ups exhausted my triceps to no end and they got sore as hell. I just did the chest and back in phase three and I'm feeling it in my pecs like no one's business and my triceps are fine. I think that's called progress.

donkhater
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I am in my second round of p90x. Still love everything about it but the yoga. I hate yoga, don't understand why anyone would like yoga, yoga sucks. That being said I can definitely tell a difference. My man boobs are gone, replaced with muscle, I can do a damn pull up and chin up now and I am starting to get that tricep muscle band. I feel great but not really losing a ton of weight, just adding a ton of muscle. Just to let you know where I was coming from I started at about 340 lbs, did power 90 first, walked then jogged then ran myself down to 230ish did p90x and by the end of it turned a lot of the flab into muscle.

I like the yoga, it just takes a big chunk of time out of the day. 90 minutes is too long, IMO. My wife has some other yoga DVD's that aren't as long (30-45 minute range) that I'll use more once I get past the 90 days.

NewChief
03-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I like the yoga, it just takes a big chunk of time out of the day. 90 minutes is too long, IMO. My wife has some other yoga DVD's that aren't as long (30-45 minute range) that I'll use more once I get past the 90 days.

Holy shit. It's 90 minutes of yoga? That's insane, especially to do with a DVD.

Shag
03-18-2010, 08:47 AM

lol, I hate the yoga, too - easily my least favorite workout. I'll often cut off the yoga workout at around 60 minutes, or will sub it out for Cardio X. I loathe it.

Toadkiller
03-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I often sub stretch x for yoga, twisting yourself into a pretzel is not fun! I must say I have the corpse pose down though. I could do that for hours..

donkhater
03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Holy shit. It's 90 minutes of yoga? That's insane, especially to do with a DVD.

Well, there are a few things that drag it out unnecessarily, IMO. First, while Tony is a good fitness instructor, his yoga instruction is lacking. A lot of the time spent in each pose is for him to show the right form. That's nice, but after you've done it a few times, you get the feeling that it's dragging out the routine too much. His ques are off and I think the whole thing in general puts way too much time in the warrior poses. The Warrior 3/half moon pose cycle takes over 7 minutes total (WTF?) and that's after 30 minutes of all the other warrior/twisting poses.

Then toward the end they go through something called yoga belly X which lasts around 10 minutes I'm guessing. It's a good workout, but with doing ab ripper every other day I question it's utility. Even in the ab ripper DVD his tip of the day is to not work abs every day, then he inserts this tough routine in between ab days!!

All in all a good 30 minutes could be cut from that routine and still get a hell of a work out.

Saulbadguy
03-18-2010, 09:39 AM
God bless you.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

Must have missed this.

Being cut kind of sounds fun now, though. Maybe I will after I become less fat.

2 stage process though, right? Focus on losing fat first, and then getting muscles next?

Shag
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah, my goal was just to lose anywhere from 10-15 pounds, tone up through the upper body and core and lose most of the belly fat. I'm satisfied with the results I've seen so far. I wish I was a little more disciplined with regards to the diet, but I think the changes I've made are good. I don't drink much at all. Sweets are ok, but I rarely crave them. It's the salty carb snacks and white breads that kill me.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the improvement you've made when you begin phase 3 from what you've mentioned here.

I've been doing pretty well with the diet, though cutting out beer has been really tough, lol...

Did Chest & Back yesterday, and every move was 2-3 times the reps I did back in week 3. Pretty awesome... :D

Bowser
03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, there are a few things that drag it out unnecessarily, IMO. First, while Tony is a good fitness instructor, his yoga instruction is lacking. A lot of the time spent in each pose is for him to show the right form. That's nice, but after you've done it a few times, you get the feeling that it's dragging out the routine too much. His ques are off and I think the whole thing in general puts way too much time in the warrior poses. The Warrior 3/half moon pose cycle takes over 7 minutes total (WTF?) and that's after 30 minutes of all the other warrior/twisting poses.

Then toward the end they go through something called yoga belly X which lasts around 10 minutes I'm guessing. It's a good workout, but with doing ab ripper every other day I question it's utility. Even in the ab ripper DVD his tip of the day is to not work abs every day, then he inserts this tough routine in between ab days!!

All in all a good 30 minutes could be cut from that routine and still get a hell of a work out.

The actual yoga workout is around 45 minutes long, then he switches from the warrior/half moon poses into balance postures. Being a youga n00b, I'm not sure just how much or many balance postures are in a "normal" yoga workout, but I've always thought that it was pretty atypical.

I've actually gotten to the point where I replace the yoga workout with the cardio workout. It's faster, and I work up just as much of a sweat. Plus, there's a bit of yoga at the beginning, so I trick myself into thinking that I'm not completely blowing off the routine, heh.

MTG#10
03-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Im starting this today. Anyone have any tips before I begin?

chiefzilla1501
03-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Im starting this today. Anyone have any tips before I begin?

Yes. Use the Nutrition plan and, if you do, don't worry about a recovery drink. I've been sticking mostly to the plan, and my friend hasn't, and I can tell I'm getting in much better shape than he is. The main gist is: high protein/low carbs until you feel like you've shredded most of your fat, once that happens cut back the protein just a small bit but start adding in a few carbs/fruits/veggies, then in the last phase you eat primarily carbs. But make sure they're whole grains. Download the spreadsheet here:
http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/2009/01/p90x-nutrition-plan-made-easy/

Look, I don't stick to the diet to a T. I still booze a lot and I don't care if I cheat every once in a while. But it really forces you to go to the grocery store and think through what you're eating. And it makes it much easier for you to go to a restaurant and choose grilled chicken or a salad instead. The first part is tough because I was actually carrying a ton of coldcuts with me to work for a while. But now that I'm doing the carb stuff, the diet is really easy and I've developed some really, really good long-term eating habits.

MTG#10
03-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes. Use the Nutrition plan and, if you do, don't worry about a recovery drink. I've been sticking mostly to the plan, and my friend hasn't, and I can tell I'm getting in much better shape than he is. The main gist is: high protein/low carbs until you feel like you've shredded most of your fat, once that happens cut back the protein just a small bit but start adding in a few carbs/fruits/veggies, then in the last phase you eat primarily carbs. But make sure they're whole grains. Download the spreadsheet here:
http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/2009/01/p90x-nutrition-plan-made-easy/

Look, I don't stick to the diet to a T. I still booze a lot and I don't care if I cheat every once in a while. But it really forces you to go to the grocery store and think through what you're eating. And it makes it much easier for you to go to a restaurant and choose grilled chicken or a salad instead. The first part is tough because I was actually carrying a ton of coldcuts with me to work for a while. But now that I'm doing the carb stuff, the diet is really easy and I've developed some really, really good long-term eating habits.

Im not messing with the diet, mainly because Im already skinny and need to gain weight, not lose it. Im definitely going to eat healthier but Im not following their strict diet.

chiefzilla1501
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Im not messing with the diet, mainly because Im already skinny and need to gain weight, not lose it. Im definitely going to eat healthier but Im not following their strict diet.

I'm pretty skinny too. I haven't lost any weight doing p90x, nor have I gained any. The diet's not going to make you lose weight. But it'll probably give you more energy to do your workouts and help your muscles build and recover. If you think you're skinny already, then do the high protein/low carb briefly, and then start loading carbs in sooner. Besides, you should be taking in a lot of protein after a workout anyway for muscle recovery.

I mean, it's hard to really call it a diet. You're still taking in 2500 calories or so. Trust me... from one skinny (but unhealthy) person to the next, if you don't at least create some kind of a regimented diet, it's way too easy to cheat. If you stick to a diet routine, you're a lot less likely to.

MTG#10
03-28-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty skinny too. I haven't lost any weight doing p90x, nor have I gained any. The diet's not going to make you lose weight. But it'll probably give you more energy to do your workouts and help your muscles build and recover. If you think you're skinny already, then do the high protein/low carb briefly, and then start loading carbs in sooner. Besides, you should be taking in a lot of protein after a workout anyway for muscle recovery.

I mean, it's hard to really call it a diet. You're still taking in 2500 calories or so. Trust me... from one skinny (but unhealthy) person to the next, if you don't at least create some kind of a regimented diet, it's way too easy to cheat. If you stick to a diet routine, you're a lot less likely to.

Im going to cut out everything unhealthy, and just stick to grilled chicken breast, oatmeal, tuna, salmon, almonds, fruits and vegetables, and protein shakes. I also bought some Kre-Alkylin, a good multi-vitamin, and fish oil for supplements. Im keeping a chart of what I eat as well.

chiefzilla1501
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Im going to cut out everything unhealthy, and just stick to grilled chicken breast, oatmeal, tuna, salmon, almonds, fruits and vegetables, and protein shakes. I also bought some Kre-Alkylin, a good multi-vitamin, and fish oil for supplements. Im keeping a chart of what I eat as well.

Cool. I mean, I'm no diet expert or anything. I just felt that having a plan did wonders for me vs. someone else I was doing p90x with. So that's a good start, but I'd also start researching ways to mix it up a bit. I'm While that sounds like a good diet, I could see you getting really bored with it after a few weeks. I'd encourage you to at least check out the site on the last link to see suggestions for different kinds of protein and whole grains. I've tried healthy binges before and I feel like following a very well-structured nutrition plan has helped me develop long-term eating habits for the rest of my life--first time that's ever happened. In my experience, I feel like breakfast though 5pm have become very routine--I eat pretty much the same thing every single day, and I'm still not bored of it. But after work and during dinner, it's nice to have some variety and I think if you can learn a lot of alternate ways to go "off plan" without cheating, that will only make it more interesting.

Experiment. Try to get variety without cheating. It will really force you to walk into the grocery store and pay really close attention to what you're buying and what's in it. And the best of all, you might discover things you really like. I hate cottage cheese, but love string cheese. Hate eating whole grain pasta, but love whole grain pita with hummus. And I can eat those every day and not be bored of it. Most of all, with just whole grain pasta and brown rice, I have a ton of quick/simple recipes I can easily whip up, and they're all really good.