PDA

View Full Version : Football A Playoff Rant

Nzoner
01-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Sorry,I just got back from the bar and didn't want to bump the game thread and i have got to this off my focking chest now because I already let the whole bar know how I feel.I love the NFL with all my heart but they are close to losing me foreever with all this focking bullshit of not being able to gwt shit right.

You focking add instant replay,extra cameras,focking this and focking that and you still can't get a delay of game call right.I think back to '97 and the bullshit calls our Chiefs got,the flag of the offsides FG,Gonzo out of bounds on the Td,the focking cheating Broncos with shit on their uniforms that should have seen players ejected.

Don't anyone ever try to convince this shit isn't fixed to a certain extent,I am still so focking pissed I'm ready to hit something.

And like someone said in the Ravens -Tittans thread the officials always give the offense more time...horeseshit just look at the panthers game,everytime the clock hot zeroes there was a delay of agme instantly.

I know the Titans shot themselves in the foot but still give them that delay of game and there's a different outcome so as of right now I'm saying fock the NFL and their focking busllshit.I love this game more than anyone can know and like everything else it's going to shit because of the love of the almighty dollar.

keg in kc
01-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I get your argument, it sucks that they screw up an obvious play like that, but I don't see the conspiracy angle. Because I'm not sure how the Ravens getting to the AFC championship instead of the Titans serves the NFL in any way, much less serves the almighty dollar. Maybe if they're trying to create a star in Flacco, but you can't tell me that play/game was rigged, there are too many factors involved. Humans make mistakes, I think it's that simple.

unothadeal
01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmPxGwD4_Zw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmPxGwD4_Zw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Basileus777
01-10-2009, 11:55 PM
They actually do typically give the offense extra time. The call was pretty consistent with how the NFL has been officiated all year long.

I can understand blaming a phantom pass interference call or a whistle blown too early for a loss, but not calling a delay of game? That's a bullshit excuse.

Baconeater
01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
:hmmm: How much money did you lose on that game?

Nightfyre
01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry,I just got back from the bar and didn't want to bump the game thread and i have got to this off my focking chest now because I already let the whole bar know how I feel.I love the NFL with all my heart but they are close to losing me foreever with all this focking bullshit of not being able to gwt shit right.

You focking add instant replay,extra cameras,focking this and focking that and you still can't get a delay of game call right.I think back to '97 and the bullshit calls our Chiefs got,the flag of the offsides FG,Gonzo out of bounds on the Td,the focking cheating Broncos with shit on their uniforms that should have seen players ejected.

Don't anyone ever try to convince this shit isn't fixed to a certain extent,I am still so focking pissed I'm ready to hit something.

And like someone said in the Ravens -Tittans thread the officials always give the offense more time...horeseshit just look at the panthers game,everytime the clock hot zeroes there was a delay of agme instantly.

I know the Titans shot themselves in the foot but still give them that delay of game and there's a different outcome so as of right now I'm saying fock the NFL and their focking busllshit.I love this game more than anyone can know and like everything else it's going to shit because of the love of the almighty dollar.

I smell someone who lost a bet. Which would be awesomely ironic, given this post.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I smell someone who lost a bet. Which would be awesomely ironic, given this post.

Nope,no real cash bets at all,just a diehard fan who doesn't focking get why thy keep adding this and that and still can;t get the shit right

EyePod
01-11-2009, 12:08 AM

I agree. Ref's blew the game. Plus they hurt Chris Johnson (the real reason that they lost). I saw it. One ref just hit him in the ankle.

Frazod
01-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I can't remember seeing the refs blow a delay call that badly. Hard to believe it was accidental.

Small market midwest team got jobbed so a big city east coast team can advance.

Same shit, different day.

TinyEvel
01-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Did you drink at the bar?

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I can't remember seeing the refs blow a delay call that badly. Hard to believe it was accidental.

Small market midwest team got jobbed so a big city east coast team can advance.

Same shit, different day.

Baltimore, Maryland isn't exactly all that big of a market.....

Baconeater
01-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Did you drink at the bar?

ROFL

Frazod
01-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Baltimore, Maryland isn't exactly all that big of a market.....

It's still a larger, east coast market.

$$$$$

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:09 AM
It's still a larger, east coast market.

$$$$$

It's the 22nd largest market in the US. The Ravens are hardly a big draw. But continue on with the conspiracy theories.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2009, 01:11 AM
It's the 22nd largest market in the US. The Ravens are hardly a big draw. But continue on with the conspiracy theories.

Oh, come on, Dude!

It's 45 minutes from DC. It's in the whole East Coast Megaopolis.

I have no idea if it played into the ref's call but Baltimore's hardly an isolated city.

Frazod
01-11-2009, 01:13 AM

Can you explain how a simple delay call could be blown so badly?

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Oh, come on, Dude!

It's 45 minutes from DC. It's in the whole East Coast Megaopolis.

I have no idea if it played into the ref's call but Baltimore's hardly an isolated city.

So now Redskin fans are going to watch games because the Ravens are playing? Baltimore being on the east coast isn't going to magically draw ratings from other markets despite the how close the cities are.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:16 AM

So badly? It's a ****ing delay of game call, it isn't significant enough to be blown badly. Officials always give the offense extra time. Maybe Baltimore got a little more of that extra time, but it's hardly significant enough to make a big deal about it.

I can understand being pissed about phantom PI calls or roughing the passer etc, but complaining about delay of game is stupid.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2009, 01:19 AM
So now Redskins are going to watch games because the Ravens are playing? Baltimore being on the east coast isn't going to magically draw ratings from other markets despite the how close the cities are.

Okay.

:rolleyes:

Frazod
01-11-2009, 01:22 AM
So badly? It's a fucking delay of game call, it isn't significant enough to be blown badly. Officials always give the offense extra time. Maybe Baltimore got a little more of that extra time, but it's hardly significant enough to make a big deal about it.

Apparently you don't watch much football. When the play clock hits zero the flag flies. Period. There is no "little more of that extra time."

The announcers commented on it immediately. It was blatantly obvious. And not throwing that flag allowed the Ravens to make a game changing completion that should have been a 5 yard loss.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Okay.

I'm sorry, but the Ravens aren't a big enough draw for anyone to bother fixing games for them. Baltimore isn't New York, Philly, Washington, or Boston. The Ravens don't play in the NFC East. No one really cares about the Ravens in the east coast outside of Baltimore.

Apparently you don't watch much football. When the play clock hits zero the flag flies. Period. There is no "little more of that extra time."

Officials give offense extra time often enough, though it is usually to take a timeout.

But if you'd rather think that there is a conspiracy to have the Ravens win to draw ratings..well...

Oh you paranoid midwesterns. At least keep the conspiracy theories to big market teams that actually draw ratings.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm sorry, but the Ravens aren't a big enough draw for anyone to bother fixing games for them. Baltimore isn't New York, Philly, Washington, or Boston. The Ravens don't play in the NFC East. No one really cares about the Ravens in the east coast outside of Baltimore.

Gee, thanks for sharing, Mr. NBC.

beach tribe
01-11-2009, 01:30 AM
They actually do typically give the offense extra time. The call was pretty consistent with how the NFL has been officiated all year long.

I can understand blaming a phantom pass interference call or a whistle blown too early for a loss, but not calling a delay of game? That's a bullshit excuse.

I have never seen the refs give 'em 2 full seconds. It's usually one count more....not two, and there's a big difference in 2 seconds, and one in this situation. They called one on Kerry in the 1st quarter, and it wasn't even a full second.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:33 AM
I have never seen the refs give 'em 2 full seconds. It's usually one count more....not two, and there's a big difference in 2 seconds, and one in this situation. They called one on Kerry in the 1st quarter, and it wasn't even a full second.

It was longer than usual, and I'm not really disputing that it should have been a penalty. But it's not egregious enough to make a big deal out of it.

Do you guys really not notice how many times stuff like that happens every week? It's gotta be enough time at 0 that the ref looks up, sees 0, looks down, sees ball on the ground, blows whistle. Happens all the time.There are some procedural calls you can expect to be made nearly 100% of the time - false start, too many men, offsides, illegal motion, etc. Delay of game is not one of those calls because making that call relies on a very imperfect system.

Frazod
01-11-2009, 01:33 AM

Officials give offense extra time often enough, though it is usually to take a timeout.

But if you'd rather think that there is a conspiracy to have the Ravens win to draw ratings..well...

Oh you paranoid midwesterns. At least keep the conspiracy theories to big market teams that actually draw ratings.

As long as people continue to just accept the bent bullshit they feed us, they'll continue to get away with it. Enjoy your NFL koolaid.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:36 AM
As long as people continue to just accept the bent bullshit they feed us, they'll continue to get away with it. Enjoy your NFL koolaid.

So because I don't believe that the NFL fixed a game for the Ravens by not calling a delay of game I accept all the bullshit the NFL feeds us? I drink the koolaid?

Talk about extreme....

Frazod
01-11-2009, 01:39 AM
So because I don't believe that the NFL fixed a game for the Ravens by not calling a delay of game I accept all the bullshit the NFL feeds us? I drink the koolaid?

Talk about extreme....

That's just the latest glass.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:44 AM
That's just the latest glass.

I think there have been plenty of horrendously officiated NFL games that bring about serious questions of bias. I just don't think this game or that delay of game call is one of them.

Bad calls are a part of football, for better or worse. If a blown delay of game call is the worst mistake, that's generally a victory.

Frazod
01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
I think there have been plenty of horrendously officiated NFL games that bring about serious questions of bias. I just don't think this game or that delay of game call is one of them.

It was too obvious. That and the circumstances make it impossible for me to believe it was just an error.

keg in kc
01-11-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm in the 'nobody gives a shit about the ravens, east coast or not' bandwagon. The team in nashville has a much larger draw in the south than the ravens do in the east. They don't have to compete with the redskins (which have a much, much, much larger fanbase than the ravens), and more distantly the eagles and steelers.

Anyway, bad calls happen, it isn't a conspiracy. They'll be at least one blatant, game-changing one tomorrow. Referees have been fucking this shit up since time immemorial.

beach tribe
01-11-2009, 03:08 AM
It was longer than usual, and I'm not really disputing that it should have been a penalty. But it's not egregious enough to make a big deal out of it.

Do you guys really not notice how many times stuff like that happens every week? It's gotta be enough time at 0 that the ref looks up, sees 0, looks down, sees ball on the ground, blows whistle. Happens all the time.There are some procedural calls you can expect to be made nearly 100% of the time - false start, too many men, offsides, illegal motion, etc. Delay of game is not one of those calls because making that call relies on a very imperfect system.

I support no belief in games being fixed, but I always watch the playclock, and I've never seen a play go on that long without being called.

beach tribe
01-11-2009, 03:10 AM
The officiating in the the modern day NFL is the worst in the history of the game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2009, 03:16 AM
I don't really buy the vast conspiracy angle, but I definitely believe that a good number of refs probably influence games to affect betting outcomes.

The great thing about being an NFL ref is that being an overly officious jerk will get you rewarded with more assignments (Ron Winter, Ed Hochuli) because there are fouls on every play if you actually go by the letter of the law in the rule book. But most of the time, just like the NBA and traveling or 3 seconds, they aren't called. But if a ref or a crew wants to, they can swing shit unbelievably fast.

Furthermore, Baghdad Bob Pereira will never admit that his boys ever made an error, so they are allowed to fuck up with impunity.

The bottom line is that major penalties (PI, roughing the passer, facemasks) should be reviewable, and all reviews should come under the judgment of a crew separate from the one on the field, so as to avoid a conflict of interest.

luv
01-11-2009, 03:48 AM
You had money on the Titans going to the Super Bowl, didn't you?

I do agree it was a bad call, but some games are full of them.

Baby Lee
01-11-2009, 04:37 AM

One thing I did notice was, the one time they tried to replay it, the down clock was moving WAY slower than the down clock. The final 5 seconds on the down clock only took a long 3 off the game clock.

cardken
01-11-2009, 06:32 AM
You can add all the cameras, mics, and retnal scans you want, but there is still the human actor. They can't stop on ever play to make sure they "get it right." The Human Factor will, has, and always will be involved. Sure a blown DOG penalty didn't cost the Titans the game. C. Johnson was their offense. Nearly 100 yards of offense and a touchdown in only a half of a game. You're going to miss that production in the second half if it's not there. Flacco played a flawless and mistake free ball, the Titans committed the second most penalties in a post season game with 12. Like my Coach used to say " Don't let the Refs beat you", play your game cleanly and theirs nothing to call, they are human, and I would'nt trade that for the world.

cardken
01-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Sour Grrapes! Well, there's always NASCAR on Sundays!

rad
01-11-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm in the 'nobody gives a shit about the ravens, east coast or not' bandwagon. The team in nashville has a much larger draw in the south than the ravens do in the east. They don't have to compete with the redskins (which have a much, much, much larger fanbase than the ravens), and more distantly the eagles and steelers.

I doubt this. I've read that Tennessee is a mostly college football type state. Nobody there really cares about the Titans. So Baltimore would be a bigger market than them. I don't buy the conspiracy theory, but to say "noone cares about Bal. outside of Bal." (as someone else said) is pretty ignorant.

cardken
01-11-2009, 06:43 AM
I doubt this. I've read that Tennessee is a mostly college football type state. Nobody there really cares about the Titans. So Baltimore would be a bigger market than them. I don't buy the conspiracy theory, but to say "noone cares about Bal. outside of Bal." (as someone else said) is pretty ignorant.
I live 45 miles North of Nashville in KY. And that town was insane about the Titans. And really during this year as the Vols sucked, they took to supporting the NFL franchise. The Titans fan base goes outside the city of NashVegas, past the state, and way up into Kentucky as we don't have a franchise the NFL fan base followed the Titans. My local radio station broadcasts the Titans games. They go on Caravans just before camp as far as Louisville, a good 4 hours away. They get plenty of support especially in a playoff run everybody catches that fever.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 08:08 AM

Everyone has their opinion on how shit works and I used to drink the kool-aid as well but all I ask is that you and others who don't believe please find a copy and read the book and just research the other side a bit.

This Book (http://www.namebase.org/sources/QK.html)

Moldea, Dan E. Interference: How Organized Crime Influences Professional Football. New York: William Morrow, 1989. 512 pages.

If football is the American religion, and the NFL its Vatican, then Dan Moldea is a heretic and excommunication is already in progress. Moldea is fighting back with a $10 million libel suit against the New York Times for its review of this book by sportswriter Gerald Eskenazi, an NFL mouthpiece.

Moldea chronicles the long-standing relationship between the NFL and organized crime, which has resulted in no fewer than 26 past and present NFL team owners with documented ties to either gambling or the syndicate, evidence of 70 fixed professional games, and the suppression of at least 50 law enforcement investigations of NFL corruption. This book also offers an introduction to the world of betting lines, oddsmakers and handicappers, bookmakers, and high-stakes gambling.

Guru
01-11-2009, 08:16 AM
It is complete BS that they did that to the Titans. Especially at home. It is also a complete farce that they are saying they always give an extra second when it hits zero. That was a bailout excuse because they never admit their own mistakes. Every game I have ever seen they have made that call as soon as the clock hit zero. If they want that extra damn second then get new clocks with the tenths on there like in basketball. The fact that they leave this "extra second" up to the officials is just another problem with the game.

Everyone knows that gets called when the clock hits zero not one second later.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 08:18 AM
You had money on the Titans going to the Super Bowl, didn't you?

I answered this earlier in the thread,not one REAL bet on the Titans,I actually had the J-E-T-S at 25-1 which I placed last Spring in Vegas.

boogblaster
01-11-2009, 08:21 AM
All-Star-Wrestling is real too.. isn't it ...

kobebehar
01-11-2009, 08:27 AM

Wasnt a late snap, you guys.

Reerun_KC
01-11-2009, 08:41 AM

LMAO

Yeah its really hard to screw up left hand turns...

Guru
01-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Wasnt a late snap, you guys.Uh, yeah, it was.:shake:

bdeg
01-11-2009, 08:50 AM
I get your argument, it sucks that they screw up an obvious play like that, but I don't see the conspiracy angle. Because I'm not sure how the Ravens getting to the AFC championship instead of the Titans serves the NFL in any way, much less serves the almighty dollar. Maybe if they're trying to create a star in Flacco, but you can't tell me that play/game was rigged, there are too many factors involved. Humans make mistakes, I think it's that simple.

It's not about that. There's so much leniency, so many calls left up to the ref's discretion. If a referree had a cash interest in the outcome he could choose to effect it. Think about taunting penalties when players are just talking. It probably wasn't necessary to throw a flag. Ref's call.

Bob Dole
01-11-2009, 08:53 AM
The officiating in the the modern day NFL is the worst in the history of the game.

You must have missed the 517 times John Elway passed beyond the line of scrimmage.

alanm
01-11-2009, 08:53 AM
So now Redskin fans are going to watch games because the Ravens are playing? Baltimore being on the east coast isn't going to magically draw ratings from other markets despite the how close the cities are.Redskin fans are going to watch it because it's football. Same reason that Chiefs fans are watching it.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
You must have missed the 517 times John Elway passed beyond the line of scrimmage.

no shit,well I'm off to watch the games,damn glutton,let's see what awaits us in the screw-up section today.

Bearcat
01-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Too bad the Titans had three turnovers and a missed field goal, or else we could have seen the real power of NFL refs. None of this extra-second-on-a-delay-of-game crap, we could have seen some real fixed calls. :cuss:

:spock:

bdeg
01-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Too bad the Titans had three turnovers and a missed field goal, or else we could have seen the real power of NFL refs. None of this extra-second-on-a-delay-of-game crap, we could have seen some real fixed calls. :cuss:

:spock:

You don't have to win every time to be a successful gambler. A knowledgeable sports better can win 60-70%. If you're altering the odds with seemingly harmless but drive-killing or extending penalties you'd probably win 80% of the time.

Demonpenz
01-11-2009, 09:49 AM
how many plays were there in the game? 88 or so? If a five yard penalty is the one to miss, I would be ok with that

DaFace
01-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Are we really debating whether a delay of game penalty was correctly called? :spock:

cardken
01-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Are we really debating whether a delay of game penalty was correctly called? :spock:

QFT!!

Demonpenz
01-11-2009, 09:55 AM

and that game was a WAR. One of the best games I have seen, both teams playing with crazy amounts of intensity, people not caring about their brains or body's running into each other at full speed. We should be talking about the balls these players have to just say (welp this is going to hurt) and hit people so hard you expect their insides to pop out like a jack in the box

KcMizzou
01-11-2009, 10:03 AM

Ultra Peanut
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
When you walk through the garden, you better watch your back.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I love when people say that a SINGLE call/no call is the deciding factor in a game...

I'm sure the 3 turnovers, 12 penalties and the extra 20 yards AFTER that play that put Baltimore into FG range had NOTHING to do with it?

What happened to the defense that the Titans had played all day?

Hydrae
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Anyway, bad calls happen, it isn't a conspiracy. They'll be at least one blatant, game-changing one tomorrow. Referees have been ****ing this shit up since time immemorial.

I live 45 miles North of Nashville in KY. And that town was insane about the Titans. And really during this year as the Vols sucked, they took to supporting the NFL franchise. The Titans fan base goes outside the city of NashVegas, past the state, and way up into Kentucky as we don't have a franchise the NFL fan base followed the Titans. My local radio station broadcasts the Titans games. They go on Caravans just before camp as far as Louisville, a good 4 hours away. They get plenty of support especially in a playoff run everybody catches that fever.

I don't know about elsewhere but here in Central Texas, the Titans are still pretty big. Between them drafting Vince (UT alum and all that) and being the former Oilers, there are a lot of fans in this area. Not as many as the Cowpokes of course but probably stll bigger than the Texans from my experiences.

Guru
01-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Damn guys. You all speak as if that 20 yards would have happened either way. Say they make the correct call and give them the 5 yard penalty. Yeah, they could still run the same play and have the same result. OR they could not make the first down and end up punting. Who knows. The ref took that out of the equation though.

Frazod
01-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Sorry, I have a full set of teeth. No NASCAR for me.

And since I'm not from Tennessee, nor am I a Titans fan, how could this be sour grapes? I'm not a Seahawks fan either, yet I'd have to be blind not to acknowledge the assraping they got at the hands of the officials in their Super Bowl loss to the $tealer$. While yesterday's game only boiled down to one horribly botched call (that we know of), it was still a game-changer. And anybody who's talking about this "they always give an extra second" bullshit needs to dislodge their head. How could there be an easier call to make? You see zero, you throw the flag. Period.

It is really unfortunate that such a tremendous game was tainted in such a way.

Guru
01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I have a full set of teeth. No NASCAR for me.

And since I'm not from Tennessee, nor am I a Titans fan, how could this be sour grapes? I'm not a Seahawks fan either, yet I'd have to be blind not to acknowledge the assraping they got at the hands of the officials in their Super Bowl loss to the $tealer$. While yesterday's game only boiled down to one horribly botched call (that we know of), it was still a game-changer. And anybody who's talking about this "they always give an extra second" bullshit needs to dislodge their head. How could there be an easier call to make? You see zero, you throw the flag. Period.

It is really unfortunate that such a tremendous game was tainted in such a way. Saying one play can't change a game is about as dumbass of a statement as there can be.

Baby Lee
01-11-2009, 11:56 AM

I don't debate that the play clock we saw on the TV screen was at zero before the ball was snapped.
What's debateable is, the officials keeping of 'official' time, and what I observed where the play clock and the game clock moving at different rates in the one replay they showed.

Guru
01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't debate that the play clock we saw on the TV screen was at zero before the ball was snapped.
What's debateable is, the officials keeping of 'official' time, and what I observed where the play clock and the game clock moving at different rates in the one replay they showed.I just want to know who came up with the whole "extra second" BS.

DaFace
01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
What's debateable is, the officials keeping of 'official' time, and what I observed where the play clock and the game clock moving at different rates in the one replay they showed.

OK, fine, I'll get mildly sucked into the debate. I won't deny that it was at zero, nor will I deny that I've seen the delay called more quickly than that. However, I've ALWAYS heard that there's a one-second delay before they call it, and when I stopped listening to the announcers and counted it myself, there was right at about a second between the time it hit zero and the time the ball was snapped.

DaFace
01-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I just want to know who came up with the whole "extra second" BS.

I don't know, but it's been there for a long time. It comes up on "official review" about once a year, and it's always been explained that way.

Guru
01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
OK, fine, I'll get mildly sucked into the debate. I won't deny that it was at zero, nor will I deny that I've seen the delay called more quickly than that. However, I've ALWAYS heard that there's a one-second delay before they call it, and when I stopped listening to the announcers and counted it myself, there was right at about a second between the time it hit zero and the time the ball was snapped.The problem here is this.... I have yet to see it called with the "extra second" since the inception of the play clock. It has always been when the clock hits zero. If they are really going to pull this crap then it is time to update the play clock to have tenths on it. Spend that money fans keep sending you NFL.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I just want to know who came up with the whole "extra second" BS.

The Director Of Officials for the NFL - 4 days before this game took place.

Guru
01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
The Director Of Officials for the NFL - 4 days before this game took place.4 days? wtf? Play clock has been in use for decades.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 12:07 PM
4 days? wtf? Play clock has been in use for decades.

It's been called that way forever, I'm just saying that the Director Of Officials was just on NFLN earlier this week explaining it.

Which explains why so many people here knows that the +1 is the way the officials are told to call it.

Guru
01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
It's been called that way forever, I'm just saying that the Director Of Officials was just on NFLN earlier this week explaining it.

Which explains why so many people here knows that the +1 is the way the officials are told to call it.Well, if thats the case then there are a shitload of refs calling it wrong then. I have seen flags fly as soon as it hits zero plenty of times.

Baconeater
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Well, if thats the case then there are a shitload of refs calling it wrong then. I have seen flags fly as soon as it hits zero plenty of times.

If there IS a problem with the officiating, and I believe there is, it is with that. Inconsistency.

DaFace
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
The Director Of Officials for the NFL - 4 days before this game took place.

Incorrect. I'm a religious watcher of "Official Review" on NFL Network, and I can guarantee they've called it that way for at least the past four years. It's not truly a "one second" rule, it's just that, during the course of calling a delay of game penalty:

1. The back judge(?) sees the clock hit zero.
2. He shifts his eyes from the play clock to the ball. If the ball is still on the ground...
3. He blows the whistle.

Normally, human reaction time means that it takes about a second for the call to be made, but even then the rule only states the sequence of events rather than a true one-second rule.

EDIT: I see you were being facetious about the 4 days ago thing, so nevermind about that.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Incorrect. I'm a religious watcher of "Official Review" on NFL Network, and I can guarantee they've called it that way for at least the past four years. It's not truly a "one second" rule, it's just that, during the course of calling a delay of game penalty:

2. He shifts his eyes from the play clock to the ball. If the ball is still on the ground...
3. He blows the whistle.

Normally, human reaction time means that it takes about a second for the call to be made, but even then the rule only states the sequence of events rather than a true one-second rule.

We're on the same page.

It's just easier to say +1 than go through the entire sequence as you did.

Guru
01-11-2009, 12:35 PM
If there IS a problem with the officiating, and I believe there is, it is with that. Inconsistency.:clap:

thurman merman
01-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Nope,no real cash bets at all,just a diehard fan who doesn't focking get why thy keep adding this and that and still can;t get the shit right

i don't get why you keep saying "focking."

rad
01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
i don't get why you keep saying "focking."

He must be Irish or something.

Guru
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
i don't get why you keep saying "focking."What the fock are you talking about?

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Which explains why so many people here knows that the +1 is the way the officials are told to call it.

If that is the case then the refs in the Panthers game and today's Eagles game didn't listen very well.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 08:41 PM

3. He blows the whistle.

EDIT: I see you were being facetious about the 4 days ago thing, so nevermind about that.

If that is the case then the refs in the Panthers game and today's Eagles game didn't listen very well.

DaFace's post explains EXACTLY what the Director Of Officiating said on NFLN last week.

If officials are deviating from standard procedure, I'm sure it is reflected in their grade, which affects their pay, and the ability to get more playoff games.

It's really a non-issue, unless you guys want fucking robots officiating games. Humans make mistakes.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
DaFace's post explains EXACTLY what the Director Of Officiating said on NFLN last week.

If officials are deviating from standard procedure, I'm sure it is reflected in their grade, which affects their pay, and the ability to get more playoff games.

It's really a non-issue, unless you guys want ****ing robots officiating games. Humans make mistakes.

No robots needed,just put a big ass horn in the stadium,and when the clock hits zero let that bitch sound off,that way some dipshit human who may have reasons to take an extra second doesn't affect the outcome of a great game.

And before anyone thinks it's more conspiracy I just say wake the hell up,if they fixed the WS back in 1918 and NBA officials today have been investigated etc. don't think for a minute it isn't going on everywhere at some time or another.

Thanks for your input.

Baconeater
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh come on Joe, ONE World Series out of over 100 was fixed, and they couldn't keep it a secret even way back then, do you really think it could go on today without anyone finding out? I'd believe it's simple human error before it was a conspiracy.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh come on Joe, ONE World Series out of over 100 was fixed, and they couldn't keep it a secret even way back then, do you really think it could go on today without anyone finding out? I'd believe it's simple human error before it was a conspiracy.

Exactly.

If people really wanted to scream conspiracy, the only game in which it MIGHT be believable was the Chargers/Colts game. And even that is ridiculous, IMO.

Those penalty calls put the Chargers in FG range. (At least they scored a TD)

The non-call in Tennessee meant nothing. Had Tennessee's defense not shit in their helmet after that play, who knows what the outcome is.

Instead, they give up another 25 yards, and a FG.

Humans make mistakes, and Championship teams overcome those mistakes and other adversity.

The Titans made too many mistakes, and couldn't overcome them. Period.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Exactly.

If people really wanted to scream conspiracy, the only game in which it MIGHT be believable was the Chargers/Colts game. And even that is ridiculous, IMO.

Those penalty calls put the Chargers in FG range. (At least they scored a TD)

The non-call in Tennessee meant nothing. Had Tennessee's defense not shit in their helmet after that play, who knows what the outcome is.

Instead, they give up another 25 yards, and a FG.

Humans make mistakes, and Championship teams overcome those mistakes and other adversity.

The Titans made too many mistakes, and couldn't overcome them. Period.

So what aboyt Broncos vs Chiefs Play-off '97?

And fock guys come on did anyone even read my post about the book with evidence of 70 fixed games?

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Why does it have to be human error,could it not be human wanting it to be and has the power to make it happen?

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Why does it have to be human error,could it not be human wanting it to be and has the power to make it happen?

You're telling me that the referees had the power to make the Titans give up another 25 yards, allowing the FG?

Did the referees turn the ball over 3 times in the red zone?

Baconeater
01-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Maybe ONE human, but those would be isolated incidents, by using the word "conspiracy" you're talking about a group of people working toward a common goal, and I think that would be too hard to keep a secret.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
You're telling me that the referees had the power to make the Titans give up another 25 yards, allowing the FG?

Did the referees turn the ball over 3 times in the red zone?

Dude c'mon,I realize you disagree with me but for sake of just trying to win a pissing contest think about what might have been had the flag been thrown on the delay like it should have..I said earlier the titans shot themselves in the foot and could've not had to worry about a bullshit human call, there's no argument there.

Bottom line alot of you guys are like I used to be,you love the game and DO NOT want to believe this shit could be going on,hell I still hate to think it is because it tarnishes my number 1 sport but I've seen enough in 30+ years of watching it to know I'm living with my head in the sand if I think it's not true.I also took the initiative to research some books thus my reasoning to linking Moldea's Interference.

I'm not looking to win a pissing match,you believe what you want and we'll agree to disagree,all I ask once again is just do a little research and at least check out some of the hard evidence.

Either way,I'm not looking to be an ass and make enemies,it's what I believe and I'll stand by it.

Baconeater
01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
So what aboyt Broncos vs Chiefs Play-off '97?

And fock guys come on did anyone even read my post about the book with evidence of 70 fixed games?

You have valid gripe about the Donk game, but that was a long time ago and I have no idea what, if anything the league could of, or did do about it. And as far as the 70 games, obviously SOMEONE figured it out and exposed it, and I think that would be the case if it happened today.

I just don't see how you can enjoy watching the NFL at all if you think it's fixed.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Dude c'mon,I realize you disagree with me but for sake of just trying to win a pissing contest think about what might have been had the flag been thrown on the delay like it should have..I said earlier the titans shot themselves in the foot and could've not had to worry about a bullshit human call, there's no argument there.

Bottom line alot of you guys are like I used to be,you love the game and DO NOT want to believe this shit could be going on,hell I still hate to think it is because it tarnishes my number 1 sport but I've seen enough in 30+ years of watching it to know I'm living with my head in the sand if I think it's not true.I also took the initiative to research some books thus my reasoning to linking Moldea's Interference.

I'm not looking to win a pissing match,you believe what you want and we'll agree to disagree,all I ask once again is just do a little research and at least check out some of the hard evidence.

Either way,I'm not looking to be an ass and make enemies,it's what I believe and I'll stand by it.

I could give two shits about winning a pissing match with you, Joe.

I'm just not buying it, though I respect your opinion.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Maybe ONE human, but those would be isolated incidents, by using the word "conspiracy" you're talking about a group of people working toward a common goal, and I think that would be too hard to keep a secret.

Point taken and agreed but at least you're not saying it isn't possible that one ref,one FG kicker etc, can't purposely affect the outcome of a game.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I could give two shits about winning a pissing match with you, Joe.

I'm just not buying it, though I respect your opinion.

No problem,it's all good with us and hopefully the rest who don't buy it,just one helluva good discussion that I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Baconeater
01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll give you one thing Joe, the fact that the NFL protects the refs by not making them accessible to the media sure as hell doesn't foster any trust with the fans. I don't see what would be wrong with having them answer questions after the games.

Nzoner
01-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I'll give you one thing Joe, the fact that the NFL protects the refs by not making them accessible to the media sure as hell doesn't foster any trust with the fans. I don't see what would be wrong with having them answer questions after the games.

That'll be a cold day in hell.I mean look at it now,how many instances have we seen where the NFL has simply sent a letter saying."We're sorry we focked up."

RippedmyFlesh
01-11-2009, 11:06 PM
That'll be a cold day in hell.I mean look at it now,how many instances have we seen where the NFL has simply sent a letter saying."We're sorry we focked up."
Seems to me with the billions of dollars these teams are worth they could hire refs "full time".
Alot of them are older guys who just physically can't keep up.Baseball umps are full time not semi retired judges and baseball seems to have less issues than nfl football as far as bad calls are concerned.

morphius
01-11-2009, 11:33 PM

I've never really bought this line of thought. Sure a bad/missed call in the first period you can make up for, but a bad call under 2 minutes left would be pretty damn hard to make up for. Too many games come down to the last play, heck we seen champions made via missed FG, tackle at the one yard line, catching the ball with one hand and your helmet, etc to think that one call really doesn't matter. Now that may hold true in general, like comparing a champion team to a Herm Edwards KC team, but 1st and 2nd's line is too close.

There is no reason that delay of game shouldn't be reviewable, at least. I could see a light coming on at each of the field, but i wouldn't want to distract the QB, same as the horn idea. When you can't hear a whistle sometimes, I doubt the horn is going to work that well.