PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports New Whitlock Article touts white athletes

DJJasonp
01-11-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/975114.html

I usually enjoy most of his articles, but this is pretty pathetic.

As long as people (athletes or not) have a prefix of color before their title - racism will continue....so I find it ironic that Whit writes about this...

Discuss...

There was no time to say this Thursday night when Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators were winning another national championship, but a significant thought ran through my mind:

We’re witnessing a resurgence of great white athletes in football and basketball.

OK, this is an underdeveloped thought. It danced across my mind watching Tebow run and throw the Gators past the Oklahoma Sooners. As I contemplated Tebow’s collegiate legacy Thursday night and then listened Friday morning as talk-show hosts wondered aloud whether Tebow could wind up the greatest player in the history of college football, I started placing Tebow’s ascension in broader context.

Although he didn’t win the Heisman Trophy this season, it’s quite obvious Tebow is the best football player in the college game.

In today’s game, the Heisman Trophy is given to the player ESPN decides to hype the most. That player, most likely a quarterback, will preferably play for a highly-rated team that ESPN/ABC televises regularly.

Tebow, the 2007 Heisman winner, was robbed this year. He’s a freakish athlete in the mold of Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown and Vince Young. Not surprisingly, Sanders, Brown and Young never won the Heisman Trophy. For some reason we struggle to properly honor and recognize our most physically gifted athletes.

That might have to do with the fact that we generally perceive those athletes to be black.

Well, now here comes Tim Tebow, and it appears everyone is ready to fall in love with Touchdown Timmy, the half-man, half-monster quarterback. He appears to be a novelty, a white athlete with limitless athleticism.

I think he’s a symbol of what has already transpired and what we’ll soon recognize. The boys from the suburbs are spending just as much time as the boyz from the ’hood working on their bodies and skills.

I don’t have any hard evidence. I can’t back it up with 40 times and vertical leaps. I’m basing it off what I see when I travel the country watching the best athletes compete.

This wasn’t discussed much at the time of the selections a year ago, but in the 2008 Pro Bowl the four defensive ends were all white, including Jared Allen. Other than cornerback, a pass-rushing defensive end is probably the most athletic player on a football field.

They’re 6-foot-5, sleek thoroughbreds who excel because of a combination of strength, size and athleticism that is as rare as a perfect spouse.

For the past few years we’ve watched a number of white kids dominate college basketball. Tyler Hansbrough is this year’s leading candidate for player of the year. His raw offensive game makes him a suspect NBA prospect, but you cannot doubt his athleticism. Given his work ethic and tenacity, Hansbrough could be a Dennis Rodman knockoff.

And, of course, we’ve seen many foreign-born white players have tremendous success in the NBA, including Canada’s Steve Nash, the winner of two MVP awards.

No doubt, it’s time we reassess our stereotypes of athletes based on race.

Watching Tebow run, throw awkwardly and display his emotions for all to see did not conjure images of Peyton Manning. Tebow looked more like Michael Vick.

Mentioning Vick raises my last theory on why the real or perceived gap between black and white athletes might be closing.

Too many young black men are rotting in jail.

America’s out-of-control incarceration rate has devastated the black community in many ways. Athletics has not been immune.

When you hear the stat rattled off about more young black men being in jail than in college that also means that there are a lot of talented athletes throwing away college scholarships by running afoul of the law.

Athletics used to be a poor black kid’s ticket to education and out of poverty. You can’t punch that ticket if you’re saddled with felony convictions before you get out of high school. You can’t participate in state-of-the-art training methods if you’re locked up.

My point is, expect to see a few more Tim Tebows.

The football and basketball landscapes are changing. Integration is sweeping the “great athlete” discussion.

To reach Jason Whitlock, call 816-234-4869 or send e-mail to jwhitlock@kcstar.com. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

SNR
01-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Kerry Collins is a white athlete and he lost

RNR
01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
"Mentioning Vick raises my last theory on why the real or perceived gap between black and white athletes might be closing.

Too many young black men are rotting in jail."

:rolleyes: Thank God dem black boys is in jail sos us peckerwoods can make the team.

Hydrae
01-11-2009, 10:58 AM
So from the way he ended this, Whit is not saying that white athletes are getting better but that too many of the really good black athletes are sitting in jail instead of playing ball? :shake:

I agree that as long as we continue this discussion with race being mentioned means we still have a long way to go when it comes to racial relations. Pretty sad that it is the media that continues to perpetuation this nonsense.

BigVE
01-11-2009, 10:58 AM
The crib notes version of this article is watch out for whitey, not because whitey is that good but because whitey keeps putting all the good black athletes in jail. He also made a hilarious point/comparison: Tebow=Vick.

KCUnited
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
:shrug:

He's saying that we should stop stereotyping athletes based on race. I don't see the problem.

BigVE
01-11-2009, 11:01 AM
:shrug:

He's saying that we should stop stereotyping athletes based on race. I don't see the problem.

Yeah, for part of the article, then he changed his angle when he said too many of the good black athletes are locked up. THAT changed the whole complexion of the article for me. Plenty of good white athletes locked up too.

DJJasonp
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
So from the way he ended this, Whit is not saying that white athletes are getting better but that too many of the really good black athletes are sitting in jail instead of playing ball? :shake:

I agree that as long as we continue this discussion with race being mentioned means we still have a long way to go when it comes to racial relations. Pretty sad that it is the media that continues to perpetuation this nonsense.

Yep. Exactly

reiko57
01-11-2009, 11:03 AM
lol people act like never talking about race will make us all the same color

RNR
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, for part of the article, then he changed his angle when he said too many of the good black athletes are locked up. THAT changed the whole complexion of the article for me. Plenty of good white athletes locked up too.

Hense my reply #3

Hydrae
01-11-2009, 11:11 AM

No but maybe if it not used to pigeonhole people then maybe we can get to where we look past skin color to the person underneath that skin.

kysirsoze
01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I think he makes strong points. What he says is based on what he has witnessed, not stereotypes. I don't think a journalist talking about race for the expressed purpose of breaking down stereotypes is contributing to continued racism.

Rausch
01-11-2009, 11:15 AM

If this were business instead of sports, white dominated instead of black, there'd be a huge uproar.

Pro sports (worth watching) are dominated by black athletes. You can argue why all you want but the facts are what they are. It doesn't bother me because teams will always take/sign the best athletes and players they can.

Braincase
May not be accurate - after all, the ones in jail are the ones slow enough to get caught by fat donut-eatin' cops. Maybe the white cops are eating super donuts, though.

Deberg_1990
Pretty sad that it is the media that continues to perpetuation this nonsense.

Agreed.

I normally love JWhit, but this column is filler at best.

SNR
01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
He didn't mention Tyler Thigpen

Skip Towne
01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
"Mentioning Vick raises my last theory on why the real or perceived gap between black and white athletes might be closing.

Too many young black men are rotting in jail."

:rolleyes: Thank God dem black boys is in jail sos us peckerwoods can make the team.

:LOL:

NaptownChief
01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I definitely think there is a huge bias against white athletes in terms of perception. If Tebow were black I believe he would be getting Michael Vick type of hype and would possibly be drafted near the top of the first round like Vick. Instead because he is a white athlete and not a traditional pocket passer he is being considered a NFL joke by many.

White WR's are always considered "possession" receivers even if they are blazing fast like Kevin Curtis who ran the fastest 40 at the combine during his workout.

White basketball players always have the perception of being defensive liabilities whether it is true or not.

As much as the stereotype was against the black QB in the 70's and 80's it is still very similar for the white athlete today. Where you see this the most is in college football recruiting. I follow high school football and the recruiting pretty closely and it is very common for a white kid to be bigger, faster and stronger than some similar black kids yet the black kids are more apt to get quality offers because they are perceived as having more "upside".

KCinNY
01-11-2009, 12:19 PM
What's this? Whitlock wrote a preachy article about race?

That's new.

Hydrae
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I definitely think there is a huge bias against white athletes in terms of perception. If Tebow were black I believe he would be getting Michael Vick type of hype and would possibly be drafted near the top of the first round like Vick. Instead because he is a white athlete and not a traditional pocket passer he is being considered a NFL joke by many.

White WR's are always considered "possession" receivers even if they are blazing fast like Kevin Curtis who ran the fastest 40 at the combine during his workout.

White basketball players always have the perception of being defensive liabilities whether it is true or not.

As much as the stereotype was against the black QB in the 70's and 80's it is still very similar for the white athlete today. Where you see this the most is in college football recruiting. I follow high school football and the recruiting pretty closely and it is very common for a white kid to be bigger, faster and stronger than some similar black kids yet the black kids are more apt to get quality offers because they are perceived as having more "upside".

I was listening to Cowherd on ESPN radio the other day and he was talking about some theories held by college coaches. They varied from the number of garages a person grew up with to the number of bedrooms in that house. The theory is that those with less garage or less bedrooms have had to scrape more for things in life and are more likely to do whatever is needed to elevate themselves. They also tend to be tougher in general.

I can understand the thinking but it again plays into the stereotyping people get upset about. For general rule of thumb I think this probably works okay but as with most things in life, there has to be someone willing to look at each individual situation as just that, an individual situation.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Sorry, but no. Not a chance in hell.

White or black, Tebow is not even in the same class as an athlete as Vick.

jidar
01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
The point I took from most of that article was that Whitlock doesn't believe it's racial differences that lead to the racial disparity in pro sports, but environment and social ones.

That said, I really think he should have left that last bit about black athletes not being able to compete because they're in jail out of the article. It really hurts the point.

Extra Point
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
He interrupted my Death Row listening session this morning, and I thought that was pretty rude of him. Look at the distrubution by percentage of people of color in college and pro sports. Whites are the minority.

Moral of the story: Don't F*** UP, don't land your ass in jail. That applies to everyone, doesnt' it?

I can't wait for Trerico to say that the media prefers a white QB, on a Monday nite when Tebow may be playing.

A new event: National Black Journalists' "Fight the Power" Month.

Cornstock
01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
It wasnt a bad article until the end when he started using the incarceration rate as an excuse why white athletes are beginning to catch up to black athletes in the publics perception of athleticism.

stevieray
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
the game is bigger than the players, forty times , vertical leaps, or even color....

..I always thought the latter was made clear when Lamar kicked the door down....

..football isn't more exciting than when I was a kid, it's just as exciting...the game will always be bigger, it's one the major vehicles that has brings us together....even down to this message board.

KCTitus
01-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Too many young black men are rotting in jail.

America’s out-of-control incarceration rate has devastated the black community in many ways.

Jason's always confused me on his racial commentary...he's typically spot on then writes the above tripe to make it sound as if 'America' is rounding up black men and throwing them in jail.

There's a reason they're in jail...because they committed crimes--by their own volition

Jason and I could debate root cause, but this is a pathetic over simplification of the problems in the black community with respect to incarceration rates.

Throw this line out and it's a silly column...

Sam Hall
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm so sick of hearing about race in sports. Race is something we can't ignore, but please make it stop and just play. The race issue makes sports less fun when it's brought up.

B_Ambuehl
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I train athletes and in my opinion he is right, but the general trend in professional sports is towards athletes from more of a middle and upper middle class background, black and white. It's because the level of competition at all levels is greater and kids have to start receiving specialized training and getting serious at an earlier age, which typically costs money. The guys from the hood who rely on nothing but god given ability and whatever training/coaching they receive from their public schools are becoming a dieing breed....getting outdone by suburban kids whose parents spend gobs of money on a yearly basis hiring trainers, sending them to special camps etc.

Demonpenz
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I am tired of race in all phases of life, music, jobs, athletes. Eminem kickas ass as a rapper, tigger rules as a golfer, no one lets a white tail back go at it anymore (Hester for san diego) shit is all fucked up

Ebolapox
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
wait--we whities don't have the fast-twitch muscle mass that the average black athlete possesses :p

kobebehar
01-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Kerry Collins is a white athlete and he lost

and Dustin Colquitt didnt even make the playoffs soooo.....

SNR
01-12-2009, 12:41 AM
and Dustin Colquitt didnt even make the playoffs soooo.....I wish people would cool it about Dustin Colquitt. The only reason why he gets criticized so much is because people want to see black punters do well

kobebehar
01-12-2009, 12:57 AM
I wish people would cool it about Dustin Colquitt. The only reason why he gets criticized so much is because people want to see black punters do well

didn't Malcolm X run the black punters? I dunno, I always get Malcolm X and Dustin Colquitt confused, understandably.

NaptownChief
01-12-2009, 05:53 AM
Sorry, but no. Not a chance in hell.

White or black, Tebow is not even in the same class as an athlete as Vick.

And in terms of brains and leadership Vick is not even on the same planet as Tebow.

Rausch
01-12-2009, 06:37 AM
And in terms of brains and leadership Vick is not even on the same planet as half the fighting dogs he owned.

FYP...

Rausch
01-12-2009, 06:39 AM
As much as the stereotype was against the black QB in the 70's and 80's it is still very similar for the white athlete today.

I think the only position where this is similar is CB.

You'll see a mexican midget on roller skates before you see another cracker covering TO...

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 06:43 AM
I think the only position where this is similar is CB.

You'll see a mexican midget on roller skates before you see another cracker covering TO...

hmmmm.... that'd be an interesting sight to see.

Rausch
01-12-2009, 06:49 AM
hmmmm.... that'd be an interesting sight to see.

Not as good as the "mini" twin sister strippers, but worth the price of admission all the same...

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Not as good as the "mini" twin sister strippers, but worth the price of admission all the same...

ROFL

twin midget strippers? intriguing. nothing like 20 tiny fingers wrapped around one's genitalia.

Duck Dog
01-12-2009, 07:31 AM

People act like race issues will never end if white people speak about race.

Rausch
01-12-2009, 07:49 AM
People act like race issues will never end if white people speak about race.

It's so much easier to get along once you've erased race.

Or, for that matter, anything than makes a person a more unique individual...

Otter
01-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Do black people really feel they're still be persecuted? If so why?

Rausch
01-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Do black people really feel their still be persecuted? If so why?

Grammar...

Otter
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Grammar...

I fixed it you Nazi

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 09:15 AM
you got to put whistlers on there whoo whoooo

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Do black people really feel they're still be persecuted? If so why?

neil and emmit smif thank you make sense.

it should read:

Do black people reall feel they are still being prosecuted? If so, why?

FringeNC
01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
It wasnt a bad article until the end when he started using the incarceration rate as an excuse why white athletes are beginning to catch up to black athletes in the publics perception of athleticism.

Yep, as if the problem is the incarceration rather than the underlying crimes.

Simply Red
01-12-2009, 11:52 AM
****A PLEASE!

MagicHef
01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I am tired of race in all phases of life, music, jobs, athletes. Eminem kickas ass as a rapper, tigger rules as a golfer, no one lets a white tail back go at it anymore (Hester for san diego) shit is all ****ed up

Hillis.

Demonpenz
01-12-2009, 12:13 PM
it only took 6 backs to go on ir before hillis got a shot

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Hillis.

fullback who was seventh on the RB depth chart.

MagicHef
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
it only took 6 backs to go on ir before hillis got a shot

fullback who was seventh on the RB depth chart.

It was said that Hillis did not look nearly as good in practice as he did in the game. Otherwise, he would have been given the chance to run sooner. Once it became obvious how he played though, he was the unquestioned starter.

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
It was said that Hillis did not look nearly as good in practice as he did in the game. Otherwise, he would have been given the chance to run sooner. Once it became obvious how he played though, he was the unquestioned starter.

over tatum bell. yeah. real impressive.

kysirsoze
01-12-2009, 01:52 PM
The point I took from most of that article was that Whitlock doesn't believe it's racial differences that lead to the racial disparity in pro sports, but environment and social ones.

That said, I really think he should have left that last bit about black athletes not being able to compete because they're in jail out of the article. It really hurts the point.

This.

Simply Red
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
over tatum bell. yeah. real impressive.

I'd bet tatum bell could kick your ass, though.

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

I'd bet (insert random name of nfl player, most of which are in better shape than 99% of society at large) can beat up (insert username of message board guy).

yeah. really fucking impressive, SR.

MagicHef
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Once, he carried Ray Lewis a few yards. Once. It's pretty much the highlight of his career so far.

38yrsfan
01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
another pile of deadline dodo

Rain Man
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I disagree with the incarceration thing. I've seen a few of those prison reality shows, and those guys have situations that would do an Olympian proud. Think about it - all living expenses are covered, no junk food, no steroids, and no distractions other than working out. The guys who are committed to their craft come out of prison in great shape.

Mecca
01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
The article does what he intends it to do, some have no problem with it while others immediately flip out because it's about race.

KCChiefsFan88
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
People were saying the same thing about the "awakening of the white athlete" when JJ Reddick and Adam Morrison were having their monster season in college basketball... 3 years later both are scrubs in the NBA.

3 years from now Teblow will be cleaning toilets at Taco Bell with Eric Crouch.