Ebolapox
01-11-2009, 08:35 PM
heh. awesome.

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Where's he from?

smittysbar
01-11-2009, 08:36 PM
ESPN- Mortenson: Denver has agreed to name NE Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels as head coach

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Awwwwww you were off by like a minute.

Der Flöprer
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Good. He's no Mike Shanahan.

ILChief
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
that is why this drawn out GM search is killing us. we're going to start missing out on all the coaches and get stuck with Herm again :cuss:

Amnorix
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
God, why do the Pats asst. coaches have to go to teams I hate. Other than Romeo Crennel, it's been a clean sweep. Jets, Notre Dame and now Broncos.

:banghead:

I like Josh, but here's hoping for his abject failure as a HC.

Ari Chi3fs
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Maybe this will help Pioli see the writing on the wall. The Pats days are done... come home to KC, Scott.

smittysbar
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Awwwwww you were off by like a minute.

Son of a....... Please merge threads.

Was hoping they would end up with someone worse

cdcox
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Kills two birds with one stone: no McDaniels and no Cassel.

Print 'em.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
DAMMIT heretofor unnamed GM!!!!

kstater
01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Kills two birds with one stone: no McDaniels and no Castle.

Print 'em.

Forgive me, but who is Castle?

The Bad Guy
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I think this is an insanely dumb hire for the Broncos.

They needed to hire a defensive coach, and keep Jeremy Bates as the OC.

Whoever we hire as HC has to get Bates as the OC.

Ebolapox
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
really?

Stinger
01-11-2009, 08:48 PM

I heard his plans for defense is to hire the secondary coach for the eagles.

The Bad Guy
01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I heard his plans for defense is to hire the secondary coach for the eagles.

He should hire Romeo.

cdcox
01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Forgive me, but who is Castle?

He's some guy we won't get. Bank it.

Amnorix
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
He should hire Romeo.

When last Romeo worked with McDaniels, McDaniels was the QB coach and all of like 29 years old. I doubt he wants to work under someone who is as young or younger than his own kids.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Better McDaniels than Spags.

kstater
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
He's some guy we won't get. Bank it.

I thought I knew what you meant, but was wondering if there was some new person that I hadn't heard about.

Stinger
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Better McDaniels than Spags.

This was my first thought as well.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
McDaniels is even more young and inexperienced than Mangini was when he became a head coach. I think it's a pretty risky hire.

DaFace
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Huh. Well, OK then. I honestly don't have a strong opinion on this one. He could be great, or he could be crap.

Ari Chi3fs
01-11-2009, 08:58 PM
maybe KC can get spags, now?

Amnorix
01-11-2009, 08:58 PM
McDaniels is even more young and inexperienced than Mangini was when he became a head coach. I think it's a pretty risky hire.

I agree. Heck, he's only been a coach, AT ALL, for like 7 or 8 years. I understand wanting the shiny new product, but geez...

I think it's a mistake. Cutler should be thrilled, but other than that, I'm not sure it's a great idea unless they bring in a real hot shot at DC. Someone who really knows their business.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I agree. Heck, he's only been a coach, AT ALL, for like 7 or 8 years. I understand wanting the shiny new product, but geez...

I think it's a mistake. Cutler should be thrilled, but other than that, I'm not sure it's a great idea unless they bring in a real hot shot at DC. Someone who really knows their business.

So who becomes the Pats OC now?

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
maybe KC can get spags, now?

I heard Schwartz is a football genius. If that's the case I'd much rather have him.

KCChiefsFan88
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
McDaniels is exactly the type of head coach the Chiefs need... offensive-minded who has a history of working with productive QBs (Tom Brady and this year Matt Cassel) who would bring in an aggressive offense.

Ari Chi3fs
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Denver fired Shanahan?

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
McDaniels is exactly the type of head coach the Chiefs need... offensive-minded who has a history of working with productive QBs (Tom Brady and this year Matt Cassel) who would bring in an aggressive offense.

He's also an extremely young and inexperienced coach. I don't think you want to bring in a person who is going to be learning on the job to lead a total rebuilding project. Being a good coordinator has little to do with being a good head coach.

CaliforniaChief
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
There's always a few guys that get all the hype...much like Pioli has as a GM candidate. The difference between the two, though, is record of accomplishment. McDaniels probably is charismatic and a good interviewer. So is Herm.

I'll take a guy for HC who might not interview well but knows how to coach. I'm not heartbroken over losing McDaniels.

Mile High Mania
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I figured they would go this route... as long as they hire a real defensive minded guy to run the defense and they put in a solid GM that will keep balance, I'm fine with it.

KCChiefsFan88
01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Being a good coordinator has little to do with being a good head coach.

Can't that same argument be used against Steve Spagnola and Jim Schwartz?

Delano

I'm hoping you aren't a top candidate for the General Manager position with the Kansas City Chiefs.

tk13
Not to mention he was an OC with a lot of toys. He'll still have a lot of offensive weapons in Denver but nothing like Randy Moss.

cdcox
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I figured they would go this route... as long as they hire a real defensive minded guy to run the defense and they put in a solid GM that will keep balance, I'm fine with it.

Isn't a top GM candidate going to want to bring in their own HC?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
You know what would really lick my balls with a barbwire tongue? If the Donkeys now reached out and stole Pioli away from us hahaha fuck my life. It won't happen, but hey, it's the Chiefs.

KCChiefsFan88
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Not to mention he was an OC with a lot of toys. He'll still have a lot of offensive weapons in Denver but nothing like Randy Moss.

The same argument can be used against Steve Spagnola.

Last I checked the likes of Aaron Pierce, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck wouldn't be joining Spagnola if he became the head coach in KC.

KChiefs1
01-11-2009, 09:14 PM
As long as Jim Schwartz isn't hired by Detroit before Pioli gets a chance to get an interview with him it will be ok.

Tuckdaddy
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
per ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234

If repost then my bad hommies

unothadeal
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
No problem dawg

smittysbar
Did you look at the 1st page?

KCChiefsFan88
As long as Jim Schwartz isn't hired by Detroit before Pioli gets a chance to get an interview with him it will be ok.

Why are people so high on Jim Schwartz?

He has coordinated a good defense with the Titans, I'll give him that... but how would his head coaching style be different from Jeff Fisher... a guy who is essentially Marty with a goatee and a mullet?

Chiefshrink
Think they will get Pioli now?

googlegoogle
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Risky.

Another offense coordinator.

Tuckdaddy
01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, I looked at the first page. It wasn't there until hit the button on mine.

Ooops on my part.

blueballs
01-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Young McDaniels had a stable
Eee Haww Eee Haww

Chiefshrink
You know what would really lick my balls with a barbwire tongue? If the Donkeys now reached out and stole Pioli away from us hahaha **** my life. It won't happen, but hey, it's the Chiefs.

You nailed it Thunder! I would think it is a no brainer for both Bowlen and Pioli assuming Pioli and McDaniels are on the same page.

Mile High Mania
All of the top candidates for new coaching positions have nice weapons at their disposal... pick one that has a good offense or defense with spares. You can't do it. So, to say he won't do well without Moss/Welker is off.

We'll see what happens.

Stinger
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM

He has coordinated a good defense with the Titans, I'll give him that... but how would his head coaching style be different from Jeff Fisher... a guy who is essentially Marty with a goatee and a mullet?

Come on man everyone know the Schwartz is all powerful

http://www.billpullman.org/film/spaceballs/S8.jpg

http://www.billpullman.org/film/spaceballs/S14.jpg

Chiefshrink
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Last I checked the likes of Aaron Pierce, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck wouldn't be joining Spagnola if he became the head coach in KC.

Steve knows how to build a D and it's obvious he knows talent(ala Tuck,Robbins UC etc.....

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
All of the top candidates for new coaching positions have nice weapons at their disposal... pick one that has a good offense or defense with spares. You can't do it. So, to say he won't do well without Moss/Welker is off.

We'll see what happens.

Besides, Denver has plenty of young weapons. They might not have Brady/Moss, but Cutler/Marshall/Royal/Scheffler/Clady is a good young core to build around.

I think the bigger questions about McDaniels are how he will handle the defense and provide leadership despite his youth.

Mile High Mania
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Besides, Denver has plenty of young weapons. They might not have Brady/Moss, but Cutler/Marshall/Royal/Scheffler/Clady is a good young core to build around.

I think the bigger questions about McDaniels are how he will handle the defense and provide leadership despite his youth.

Very true... so, the key is still to fix the defense. Maybe McDaniels keeps Dennison in place, but I doubt it. Time to focus on DEFENSE... or none of this matters much.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I heard Schwartz is a football genius. If that's the case I'd much rather have him.

I'm completely convinced that being a good football head coach isn't just about being a football genius. You have to be able to do five things equally well:
1) Relate well with your players
2) Effectively manage your coordinators and coaches (on BOTH sides of the ball)
3) Manage games
4) Make good personnel decisions
The cherry on top is if you can also build great gameplans

In my opinion, it's a huge misconception that you have to be a football genius to be a good football head coach. In my opinion, head coaches usually fail because of one of the following: 1) he lost his players (i.e. Zorn); 2) he insisted on controlling both sides of the ball, even if he knows nothing about how to coordinate the other side (i.e. Herm trying to manage the offense); 3) poor in-game decisions (i.e. Marty); 4) he refused to bench people who deserved to be benched (i.e. Vermeil refusing to bench Tony Banks before he was forced to get rid of him).

Not to say that the technical side isn't important, but I think people undermine how important leadership and soft skills are to the head coaching position. I'm sure all of you have had a brilliant boss who had absolutely no people skills and charisma--those guys stay analysts while less intelligent, charismatic people rise.

tk13

Spags has been in coaching for 25 years. McDaniels has been coaching for what? Six?

I mean that's not everything, I'm not saying McDaniels is gonna flop, but I don't think they have the same pedigree at all. He's 32 years old. Spags has a lot more seasoning and experience to know how to deal with situations. We'll see how he does... I don't mind a young coach but I think he's in the range where it'll be interesting to see how veterans in a locker room handle someone their age. Just look at how Favre pretty much got Mangini uprooted. Being able to handle a locker room is a big deal when you're the head guy.

Mile High Mania
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11430967

Hmmm... this says the Broncos have also hired Dom Capers. I guess this is the defensive fix.

eazyb81
01-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Do all coordinators end up coaching just like the head coach they worked with?

I think the appeal of Schwartz comes from the fact that he's built a dominating defense, comes from the Belichick coaching tree, and has made stars out of guys like Kyle Vanden Bosh and Cortland Finnegan.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11430967

Hmmm... this says the Broncos have also hired Dom Capers. I guess this is the defensive fix.

I guess you guys might be moving to a 3-4 then?

Mile High Mania
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I guess you guys might be moving to a 3-4 then?

Dunno - but this is a bit interesting to me.

tk13
01-11-2009, 09:31 PM

We'll see what happens.
Well duh. But there was a time when Brian Billick was thought of as an offensive genius too when he had Moss and Carter. I'd agree he's smart to put himself in a position where he has Marshall and Royal, but still. McDaniels didn't just have weapons like these other guys, he had a front office build him one of the greatest offenses ever assemebled.

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Dunno - but this is a bit interesting to me.

Denver doesn't have have any personnel for a 3-4, but they need to pretty much rebuild their entire defense anyway. DJ Williams could probably play ILB, but all those undersized dlineman wouldn't really have a place.

Mile High Mania
01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Denver doesn't have have any personnel for a 3-4, but they need to pretty much rebuild their entire defense anyway. DJ Williams could probably play ILB, but all those undersized dlineman wouldn't really have a place.

Hell, they didn't play the 4-3 all that well...

Mecca
01-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Lets see if he's next in the long line of Pats assistants who failed.

Ebolapox
01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
You nailed it Thunder! I would think it is a no brainer for both Bowlen and Pioli assuming Pioli and McDaniels are on the same page.

that's just fucking retarded. seriously. denver pretty much already has their GM in place, fwiw. just haven't named him/them officially yet (goodman brothers)

dorseybowe
01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
From my view, New England coordinators haven't been very effective after leaving, but I do think Cutler is going to make McDaniels look good - really good.

RINGLEADER
01-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Have any of the Bellicek assts who have become head coaches been anything but?

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Have any of the Bellicek assts who have become head coaches been anything but?

Saban's done well at the college level, as has Ferentz.

At the Pro-Level, not so much.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Wondering who they are thinking for as GM?

Just odd to pick the HC before picking a GM. Now you have to find someone that is willing to tie their job security to a kid with minimal experience.

Iowanian
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
McDaniels is a Donkey now?

I hope he gets dysentary on the plane ride to denver for his press conference and the restrooms are full the entire flight.

Ebolapox
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Wondering who they are thinking for as GM?

Just odd to pick the HC before picking a GM. Now you have to find someone that is willing to tie their job security to a kid with minimal experience.

from everything I've read, their GM is pretty much in place, the goodman brothers (jim and jeff)--jeff is assistant GM, and jim is VP of football operations, in charge of player personnel. I'd be shocked if one of those guys didn't step up and take over that job (which is why it makes sense for bowlen to hire the coach before the GM, as they pretty much already have their gm in place)

tk13

I like Schwartz. His defense yesterday was outstanding, really it was outstanding the whole year.

But Fisher is not Marty, I argued this yesterday and I would today too... he takes way more chances than Marty ever did. Just because you're a defensive coach doesn't make you Marty. Either way that doesn't mean Schwartz=Fisher.

Schwartz got his start under Belichick, he seems like a very smart, common sense type guy. A lot like Belichick. His defenses play different styles. And I think the big thing people like about him is he's considered one of the leading coaches in using "statistical analysis" to break things down Moneyball style.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?_r=1&ref=football

Count Alex's Losses
Interesting hire. Mostly I'm glad because I didn't want him in KC.

SHANAHAN!

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
from everything I've read, their GM is pretty much in place, the goodman brothers (jim and jeff)--jeff is assistant GM, and jim is VP of football operations, in charge of player personnel. I'd be shocked if one of those guys didn't step up and take over that job (which is why it makes sense for bowlen to hire the coach before the GM, as they pretty much already have their gm in place)

These guys were in place under Shanahan?

Never heard of them.

chief52
01-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Pretty interesting that McDaniels started his coaching career as a graduate assistant in '99. Amazingly rapid rise to Head Coach in the NFL.

Ebolapox
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Never heard of them.

yep. there was a broncos fan on here a while back (after shanny was fired--can't recall who it was) who pointed that out to me. otherwise, hiring a coach before a gm makes absolutely no sense at all (unless you're the browns, who are retards)

FringeNC
01-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I like Schwartz. His defense yesterday was outstanding, really it was outstanding the whole year.

But Fisher is not Marty, I argued this yesterday and I would today too... he takes way more chances than Marty ever did. Just because you're a defensive coach doesn't make you Marty. Either way that doesn't mean Schwartz=Fisher.

Schwartz got his start under Belichick, he seems like a very smart, common sense type guy. A lot like Belichick. His defenses play different styles. And I think the big thing people like about him is he's considered one of the leading coaches in using "statistical analysis" to break things down Moneyball style.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?_r=1&ref=football

Yeah, I wasn't high on Schwartz until I read up on him. Seems like a damn smart guy. Pioli + Schwartz -- couldn't ask for more than that. McDaniels would have been good, too.

aturnis
01-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Pay no mind to the fact that 3/4 teams still in the superbowl hunt had the top 3 defenses this year.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Pay no mind to the fact that 3/4 teams still in the superbowl hunt had the top 3 defenses this year.

Yet every year, people argue with me when I say that defense wins championships...

tk13
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Without looking at the stats, I'd guess Arizona is the other team, and weren't they near the top in takeaways?

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Yet every year, people argue with me when I say that defense wins championships...

Many people here have a knee jerk reaction against defensive teams because of Marty and Herm. But the truth is that pretty much every year the team that wins the Superbowl does it with defense and a ball control offense. You can do these things without playing martyball.

tk13
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I wasn't high on Schwartz until I read up on him. Seems like a damn smart guy. Pioli + Schwartz -- couldn't ask for more than that. McDaniels would have been good, too.
I'd totally agree with that. I would feel very comfortable with Pioli/Schwartz... that just strikes me as a tandem that would work well together, and take a very open-minded, common sense approach to building and coaching a team.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Without looking at the stats, I'd guess Arizona is the other team, and weren't they near the top in takeaways?

Yep.

13 INT's, and 17 recovered fumbles.

KCChiefsFan88
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Many people here have a knee jerk reaction against defensive teams because of Marty and Herm. But the truth is that pretty much every year the team that wins the Superbowl does it with defense and a ball control offense. You can do these things without playing martyball.

The 2006 Colts? The 2000 Rams? The Patriots Super Bowl teams from 2004 and 2005?

Those teams won with an aggressive passing offense.

Nightfyre
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Spagnuolo would be my ideal choice, if not just because I love aggressive defense. I wonder if Pioli even has him on his short list?

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
The 2006 Colts? The 2000 Rams? The Patriots Super Bowl teams from 2004 and 2005?

The Pats did not have an aggressive passing offensive those years. They pounded it with Antwan Smith and Corey Dillon as much as they passed it. And Weis' passing offense relied heavily on screens and the short passing game.

The Colts didn't win throwing the ball aggressively, they did it running the ball and throwing short passes. Manning threw to Addai a ridiculous amount of times in that playoff run. Other than the 2nd half against the Pats the Colts pretty much played ball control.

DeezNutz
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM

If memory serves, you might want to check the defensive stats for the Colts and Rams.

tk13
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM

That Colts team really didn't win it all until their defense finally stepped up. I don't think that's even up for debate. Especially since Manning had a crap playoffs for the most part that year. He finished with something like 3 TD/7 INT in the playoffs. Other than the 2nd half of that Pats game they really were pretty ugly offensively, and had a good 1/2 punch with Addai/Rhodes.

I've always thought that was a really poor example because that team was the only Colts team that played hard nosed physical football in the playoffs.

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM

The 1999 Rams had the 4th ranked defense.

The 2003 and 2004 Patriots were ranked 1st, and 2nd, respectively.

The 2006 Colts are the exception, but only during the regular season. During the playoffs, they ranked 2nd out of 12 playoff teams.

MGRS13
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Spagnuolo would be my ideal choice, if not just because I love aggressive defense. I wonder if Pioli even has him on his short list?No, because N.E. isn't looking for a new coach. Pioli isn't coming here. We're going to get the reject from the Bucs and the cherry on top Herm as head coach.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Consider me in the minority that isn't sure about Schwartz. Having done many interviews in my life, you sort of get a feel for how people will respond to leadership situations.

I don't know Schwartz, but there are just some concerns I might have. The guy is a glorified stats freak. He believes in intense preparation and is clearly a guy whose strength is in coming up with innovative schemes and wrinkles and all that good stuff. But is that football intelligence going to know how to handle a disgruntled running back who keeps beating women? Will he be willing to step away from the desk every once in a while to attend to have a one-on-one chat or dinner with a player? Given how much attention to detail he puts into the defensive schemes, is he going to be cool with putting 1/4 of the attention to those details as he has to spread himself between managing the team, helping coordinate the offense, AND coordinating the defense? If not, will an obsession to detail lead to a lot of late nights that lead to him showing up to work the next day drained of energy and unable to motivate players?

Maybe the answer to all these questions is "yes." I don't know. I'm only asking because I don't know. But I just want to get away from the thinking that just because he's a football genius, that he'll be a good coach. When you look at most of the new hires in the NFL today, GMs are starting to favor youth and motivation and energy over experience and football intelligence.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
No, because N.E. isn't looking for a new coach. Pioli isn't coming here. We're going to get the reject from the Bucs and the cherry on top Herm as head coach.

Dominek was reportedly rejected. You're wrong.

MGRS13
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Dominek was reportedly rejected. You're wrong.
And Pioli was reportedly working on a contract. He aint coming here.

Mecca
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
No one hates defense....however I don't think most people want to see run, run, run where you finish the game with 15 pass attempts or something like that.

That's where Mike Tomlin for the most part made his best coaching move he's passed alot more than Cowher did with the same team...

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
No one hates defense....however I don't think most people want to see run, run, run where you finish the game with 15 pass attempts or something like that.

That's where Mike Tomlin for the most part made his best coaching move he's passed alot more than Cowher did with the same team...

I agree, but even Cowher passed more the year he finally won. Cowher never had a qb worth a damn until Ben anway.

But there are some here who equate a defensive team with Marty ball, when you can clearly play good defense and have a balanced offense.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM

I don't know what to think of Tomlin. I don't think it was a good idea for them to move to a spread offense and I think you're going to see them struggle mightily to move the ball against Oakland.

I think most people in Pittsburgh will tell you that their offense is worse now than it was under Cowher. It just so happens that their defense might be playing the best they've played in a very long time. And that's saying a lot.

aturnis
01-11-2009, 10:35 PM

06' Colts wouldn't have stood a chance if Bobby Sanders and the D hadn't stepped it up REAL big in the playoffs. Also, the Patriots had #7 D in '04 with the 17th Offense. In '05 they slipped to 9th on D and 7th Offense.

Interesting though is that KC had the top offense in both '04 and '05. They didn't win shit.

smittysbar
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't know what to think of Tomlin. I don't think it was a good idea for them to move to a spread offense and I think you're going to see them struggle mightily to move the ball against Oakland.

I think most people in Pittsburgh will tell you that their offense is worse now than it was under Cowher. It just so happens that their defense might be playing the best they've played in a very long time. And that's saying a lot.

:spock:

Der Flöprer
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM

Isn't he Jay Cutler's little brother twice removed?

Reerun_KC
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Tomlin showed today why his will always be superior to guys like Marty or Herm and in time he could very well make Cowher look like Rich Kotite...

In the 3rd Qtr, up 11, 4th and Goal.... He goes for it!... IF Marty or Herm was watching they both shit themselves... No way in Hell those two Chicken shit coaches make that call..

Granted Pitt didnt get it, but it was bring in out the stones by giving it a shot. Tomlin has big brass stones, while guys like Marty and Herm are walking around with a couple of frozen peas...

smittysbar
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Tomlin showed today why his will always be superior to guys like Marty or Herm and in time he could very well make Cowher look like Rich Kotite...

In the 3rd Qtr, up 11, 4th and Goal.... He goes for it!... IF Marty or Herm was watching they both shit themselves... No way in Hell those two Chicken shit coaches make that call..

Granted Pitt didnt get it, but it was bring in out the stones by giving it a shot. Tomlin has big brass stones, while guys like Marty and Herm are walking around with a couple of frozen peas...

I loved the call. Yo have a kick ass D, and yo have ran decent so far. You don't have to kick it off to Sproles. If you don't get in, your D has a great chance of safety, or getting you the ball back with good field position.

Unfortunately he bobbled the hand off, or he would have had a great chance at getting in.

SoCalBronco
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Schefter is reporting Mike Nolan as DC and that Dom Capers will be on the defensive staff as well.

Der Flöprer
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I hope Nolan doesn't end up in Denver.

raypec85
01-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I just can't see what Denver gets with McDaniels that they didn't already have with Shanahan.

Tiger's Fan
01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Consider me in the minority that isn't sure about Schwartz. Having done many interviews in my life, you sort of get a feel for how people will respond to leadership situations.

I don't know Schwartz, but there are just some concerns I might have. The guy is a glorified stats freak. He believes in intense preparation and is clearly a guy whose strength is in coming up with innovative schemes and wrinkles and all that good stuff. But is that football intelligence going to know how to handle a disgruntled running back who keeps beating women? Will he be willing to step away from the desk every once in a while to attend to have a one-on-one chat or dinner with a player? Given how much attention to detail he puts into the defensive schemes, is he going to be cool with putting 1/4 of the attention to those details as he has to spread himself between managing the team, helping coordinate the offense, AND coordinating the defense? If not, will an obsession to detail lead to a lot of late nights that lead to him showing up to work the next day drained of energy and unable to motivate players?

Maybe the answer to all these questions is "yes." I don't know. I'm only asking because I don't know. But I just want to get away from the thinking that just because he's a football genius, that he'll be a good coach. When you look at most of the new hires in the NFL today, GMs are starting to favor youth and motivation and energy over experience and football intelligence.

What you know about NFL level coaches could fit on the head of a pin. You seem to think Herm Edwards is a good NFL coach, and have said as much MANY times in the past. Offing yourself with a blunt object should be your next move, sport.

aturnis
01-11-2009, 11:31 PM
What you know about NFL level coaches could fit on the head of a pin. You seem to think Herm Edwards is a good NFL coach, and have said as much MANY times in the past. Offing yourself with a blunt object should be your next move, sport.

Sport?...Nice touch.

Reerun_KC
01-11-2009, 11:33 PM

ROFL

Damn that was funny!

HerculesRockefell
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Never heard of them.

They've been in charge of the last 3 drafts. '06 and '08 were great, '07 has produced 2 starters already and we'll see if real coaching on the DL was Denver's problem for years or if they couldn't identify talent.

smittysbar
01-11-2009, 11:41 PM
:evil: Rep

Basileus777
01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
They've been in charge of the last 3 drafts. '06 and '08 were great, '07 has produced 2 starters already and we'll see if real coaching on the DL was Denver's problem for years or if they couldn't identify talent.

Denver still can't identify talent of defense.

BryanBusby
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Well done.

That was probably the worst explanation for or against Jim Schwartz I have seen yet.

DomCasual
01-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I just can't see what Denver gets with McDaniels that they didn't already have with Shanahan.

They get a guy who's willing to bring in a real defensive coordinator - in this case, Mike Nolan.

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
They get a guy who's willing to bring in a real defensive coordinator - in this case, Mike Nolan.

so larry coyer, ray rhodes and jim bates ALL sucked? alright. you're throwing around and slamming some guys who were pretty good defensive coordinators.

BigRock
01-12-2009, 01:35 AM
I hope Nolan doesn't end up in Denver.

Why? Is he bringing Ed Reed and Ray Lewis?

Mike Nolan as Defensive Coordinator*:
(*ranking based on yards per game, so there may be a 1 or 2 spot variation compared to the standard "total yards" ranking)

1993: NY Giants (5th ranked defense)
1994: NY Giants (11th ranked defense)
1995: NY Giants (17th ranked defense)
1996: NY Giants (14th ranked defense)

Not a good trend. But, hey, at least he made some progress in that final year.

1997: Washingon (16th ranked defense)
1998: Washington (24th ranked defense)
1999: Washington (30th ranked defense)

Ouch.

2000: NY Jets (10th ranked defense)

Not much to say here, since he was only there a year. But...

2001: Baltimore (receivers' coach)

...I'm not sure how positive a reflection it is on his job that he had to take a demotion to receivers coach, rather than catch on as a DC somewhere else.

Then Marvin Lewis took off and Nolan lucked into the easiest job ever, taking over a D that had been at the top of the league over the previous three seasons. Although it was a little rough that first year.

2002: Baltimore (22nd ranked defense)
2003: Baltimore (3rd ranked defense)
2004: Baltimore (6th ranked defense)

Then he went to the 49'ers. Their defenses, BTW:

2005: 49'ers (32nd ranked defense)
2006: 49'ers (26th ranked defense)
2007: 49'ers (25th ranked defense)

Well, it'd be hard to decline from 32nd.

In 2008 they finished 13th, but since Nolan was fired in October, I'm not sure how much credit he gets for that. Prior to his firing, they gave up 40+ points once, 30+ points three times, and 29 points once, so I'm assuming it wasn't looking too good on the defensive side of things.

Long story short: Nolan is incredibly overrated, with pretty much his entire resume based on the Ravens' D, which was great before he got there and hasn't exactly suffered without him.

Long story shorter: I hope Mike Nolan ends up in Denver.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2009, 04:43 AM
Since I've had the treat of seeing another genius coordinator from the Pats (Hey, thanks for everything, Romeo.), I'll reserve judgment for a while.

My first guess is that I'd rather have Shanahan.

Von Dumbass
01-12-2009, 06:22 AM

You're right. I don't think Chief fans have to worry about Denver taking a shot at Pioli, they should already have a GM in place.

Amnorix
01-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Rumor is that McDaniels might bring Dom Capers, currently an asst. coach with the Patriots, over to Denver. Capers had a good track record as DC, but not so good as a HC.

Amnorix
01-12-2009, 07:43 AM
so larry coyer, ray rhodes and jim bates ALL sucked? alright. you're throwing around and slamming some guys who were pretty good defensive coordinators.

Jim Bates had TREMENDOUS defenses down in Miami under Wannstedt. Those defenses gave the Brady-led Patriots more trouble than anybody.

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Jim Bates had TREMENDOUS defenses down in Miami under Wannstedt. Those defenses gave the Brady-led Patriots more trouble than anybody.

precisely. the broncs have had some pretty good DCs in the last ten years. who knows, maybe nolan will succeed where more qualified (and better) coaches have failed. I have my doubts.

dirk digler
01-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Schefter is reporting Mike Nolan as DC and that Dom Capers will be on the defensive staff as well.

If that is true then the Broncos are going to get their D turned around very very quickly. fuck

Stryker
01-12-2009, 08:09 AM
McDaniels is a Donkey now?

I hope he gets dysentary on the plane ride to denver for his press conference and the restrooms are full the entire flight.

ROFLROFLROFL

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Still feel that way this morning, even though I found myself fighting some karmic intestinal ailments of my own in the night.

He'll surely be wearing the home jesery with the WHITE PANTS......

Stryker
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Still feel that way this morning, even though I found myself fighting some karmic intestinal ailments of my own in the night.

He'll surely be wearing the home jesery with the WHITE PANTS......

LOL! Reminds me of this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOyxm5R63RM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOyxm5R63RM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Iowanian
01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
I hope thats exactly how his career begins, every day of it, and ends in a few years with the team being in the same condition as that very waste basket.

TEX
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
that is why this drawn out GM search is killing us. we're going to start missing out on all the coaches and get stuck with Herm again :cuss:

My thoughts exactly.

DomCasual
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Well, the combination of them with Shanahan certainly sucked, for one reason or another. It's hard to argue with the results. Coyer had defenses that looked, at times, dominant. But they always faded. Jim Bates was an unmitigated disaster - so bad, we had to switch defensive schemes midseason. Ray Rhodes gave us defenses in the middle of the pack, and hasn't really done all that well since he left.

The Shanahan/Ted Sundquist combo was lethal for our defense. The talent they put out there was embarrassing. So, from that perspective, those defensive coordinators may not have had all that fair a shot. But it doesn't change the fact that something was broken with the system we had.

I am a big Shanahan fan. I was in a bit of a funk after he was fired. But I'll say this. If he was really set on bringing back Bob Slowik to coach the defense, then I'm glad he's gone. The guy was absolutely horrible.

Ebolapox
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Well, the combination of them with Shanahan certainly sucked, for one reason or another. It's hard to argue with the results. Coyer had defenses that looked, at times, dominant. But they always faded. Jim Bates was an unmitigated disaster - so bad, we had to switch defensive schemes midseason. Ray Rhodes gave us defenses in the middle of the pack, and hasn't really done all that well since he left.

The Shanahan/Ted Sundquist combo was lethal for our defense. The talent they put out there was embarrassing. So, from that perspective, those defensive coordinators may not have had all that fair a shot. But it doesn't change the fact that something was broken with the system we had.

I am a big Shanahan fan. I was in a bit of a funk after he was fired. But I'll say this. If he was really set on bringing back Bob Slowik to coach the defense, then I'm glad he's gone. The guy was absolutely horrible.

I still find it strange that greg fucking robinson succeeded where superior coaches (both in coaching talent and not being a black hole to society) like the aforementioned coaches failed miserably. I mean, I'm glad and all (heh), but jesus fucking christ, there's a goddamned anomoly.

Moon§hiner
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Robinson succeeded in Denver because they had an offense that would put 2 quick scores on the board and get the other team out of their running game.

vailpass
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Robinson succeeded in Denver because they had an offense that would put 2 quick scores on the board and get the other team out of their running game.

Bingo.

Amnorix
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
IMHO Denver's defense has lacked serious talent for some years now, and their DCs all had problems in part because of Shanahan the GM's forcus on the offensive side of the ball. Even when they did draft on defense, their picks tended to suck.

DomCasual
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Although, I thought he called a brilliant game in the Super Bowl against the Packers.

FringeNC
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Didn't work for Robinson here.

Taco John
01-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Didn't work for Robinson here.

He didn't have Steve Atwater, Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, John Mobley here.

He did have an older version of Ray Crockett though.

Mr. Laz
01-12-2009, 01:58 PM
i thought some people around here wanted McDaniels for the Chiefs?

FringeNC
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
He didn't have Steve Atwater, Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, John Mobley here.

He did have an older version of Ray Crockett though.

Give Robinson a bunch of really good defensive players and he'll produce a very good defense.

Give Gunther Cunningham a bunch of great players and a mentor as head coach and he'll produce a very good defense.

Give either one of them shit players, and you'll get a shit defense. Yet Gun is a stud and Robinson is a bum. I don't understand the double standard.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't understand the double standard.

How long have you been around here... :)

Amnorix
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Belichick released the following statement on McDaniels. Sounds like an amicable parting, unlike Fatgini.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has released the following statement regarding Josh McDaniels today:
"Josh McDaniels is one of the finest people and brightest, most talented coaches I have ever worked with. Since joining us eight years ago, Josh performed a variety of roles and excelled in every one of them. Between his work on defense, in scouting, player evaluation and coordinating the offense, Josh is a very well-rounded coach whose outstanding body of work speaks for itself. He is the product of a pure football environment which is evident in his approach to the game. On behalf of the entire Patriots organization, we thank Josh for tremendous success in New England and congratulate him and the McDaniels family for this most deserving opportunity for advancement."

kstater
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Belichick released the following statement on McDaniels. Sounds like an amicable parting, unlike Fatgini.

[/INDENT]

Not going to a division rival might have had something to do with it.

Amnorix
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Not going to a division rival might have had something to do with it.

Maybe.

I can also say with 100% certainty taht Romeo agreed not to take any Pats asst. coaches and had an easy departure. Mangenious had no such agreement, and tried to steal several of our asst. coaches.

Similarly, Dimitroff left on friendly terms to become GM of the Falcons, agreeing not to take any Pats scouts, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if no asst. Pats coaches went to Denver. Maybe just one that BB agreed to.

Bloody Tomahawk
02-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Denver Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen on Thursday announced the appointment of Brian Xanders as General Manager for the National Football League team, effective immediately.

Bowlen said, "In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our general manager’s job. I am confident he will work in tandem with Head Coach Josh McDaniels to re-establish our football team at the level we desire."

Bowlen also announced that both Jim Goodman and Jeff Goodman have been dismissed from the organization. Jim Goodman had been Vice President of Football Operations and Jeff Goodman had been Assistant General Manager, sharing that post with Xanders.

Xanders now is in charge of all player personnel issues, including college scouting, pro personnel and labor negotiations. He also will have oversight responsibilities with respect to the video, equipment, grounds and athletic training staffs.

DaFace
02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Who?

orange
02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Who?

DENVER (AP) ―

Brian Xanders, who begged every NFL team for a job after graduating from Florida State, was promoted to general manager of the Denver Broncos on Thursday.

Xanders, a former walk-on middle linebacker, joined the Broncos as assistant general manager May 5 after 14 seasons in the Atlanta Falcons organization. He served as assistant general manager in Denver along with Jeff Goodman, whose father, Jim, was the Broncos' vice president of football operations.

Both of the Goodmans were fired Thursday when Xanders was promoted.

When owner Pat Bowlen fired coach Mike Shanahan on Oct. 30, he decided not to give his new coach as much power and said he would search for a general manager after finding his new coach.

Upon hiring Josh McDaniels as Shanahan's replacement, Bowlen said his GM was already in house -- presumably Jim Goodman. But Bowlen changed his mind and decided Xanders was the man best suited to lead the Broncos back to the postseason after three straight seasons out of the playoffs and just one playoff victory in the decade since Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway's retirement.

"In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our general manager's job," Bowlen said in a statement. "I am confident he will work in tandem with head coach Josh McDaniels to re-establish our football team at the level we desire."

Xanders, 38, didn't immediately return a phone call to The Associated Press but said in a statement that his promotion was bittersweet: "This appointment comes with unfortunate circumstances as I have enjoyed working with Jim and Jeff over the last year. Nevertheless, I am humbled by this opportunity and accept it as a great challenge on behalf of our fans, our community, Mr. Bowlen and the organization.

"I am excited to work together with Coach McDaniels and put our collective resources into winning football games."

McDaniels thanked the Goodmans for their contributions and said he was excited for Xanders and looked forward to "working with him hand-in-hand well into the future."

Xanders, who negotiated some of Denver's bigger contracts last season, is now in charge of all player personnel issues, including college scouting, pro personnel and labor negotiations with the Broncos.

Xanders graduated from Florida State with a bachelor's degree in business management and a master's degree in business administration. He was on four bowl-winning teams with Bobby Bowden's Seminoles.

In 14 seasons in Atlanta, he worked with the Falcons in a variety of capacities, including player personnel, coaching, salary cap management, information technology and business management.

Xanders said in an interview with The AP last year that he sent resumes to every NFL team and was rejected at least three times by all of them until finally landing a job for $19,000 a year working as assistant general manager at the Falcons Sports Complex, a sports health club that was open to the public and his ticket to the NFL.

"I was changing light bulbs, scrubbing toilets and cleaning racquetball courts, and then they made me GM three months later of the Falcons Sports Complex," Xanders said.

Two years later, he taught himself databases and began working in information technology by day and helping the coaching staff put together tape in the night. That led to a job as the Falcons' defensive quality control assistant in 1997. He was a member of the Falcons' coaching staff on their 1998 Super Bowl team, which lost to the Broncos.

Shanahan hired Xanders last year to assist the Goodmans in the front office following the firing of GM Ted Sundquist.

Asked if he aspired one day to be a general manager of an NFL team, Xanders told The AP: "I just want to win. That's first. I'm just fortunate to be here and have that opportunity to win. That's what's primary for me. I have high expectations for the team. Down the road, whatever happens, happens."

keg in kc
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
You guys must be thrilled about that.

sportsman1
02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I read this as Ronald Mcdonald to be coach of Bronco's.

orange
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
You guys must be thrilled about that.

Whoever did the drafting this year (2008) was a big improvement over the recent past. If that was Xanders, then, yes, I'm thrilled. Don't really know, though.

bowener
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
When owner Pat Bowlen fired coach Mike Shanahan on Oct. 30

Isnt this date a bit off by a few months?

Bloody Tomahawk
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Whoever did the drafting this year (2008) was a big improvement over the recent past. If that wax Xanders, then, yes, I'm thrilled. Don't really know, though.

Xanders was hired on April 29, 2008. He had nothing to do with the Broncos draft.

orange
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Xanders was hired on April 29, 2008. He had nothing to do with the Broncos draft.

Then I know nothing about him at all.

Darth CarlSatan
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
The Donkos are on their way to XanderdU!!!

http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/Xanadu2.jpg

orange
02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
The Donkos are on their way to XanderdU!!!

http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/Xanadu2.jpg

I'd hit it.
I'd hit it then many, many times.

BigRock
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Bowlen also announced that both Jim Goodman and Jeff Goodman have been dismissed from the organization.

Aren't these the guys that a bunch of Broncos fans were like "We don't need Shanahan" over? As if every bad decision in Denver the last few years was Shanny's and all the brilliant decisions belonged to these guys?

And now they're fired? And the new GM is a guy who spent the last few years helping Atlanta suck hind teat?

This is worthy of a new thread all its own.

Darth CarlSatan
02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Aren't these the guys that a bunch of Broncos fans were like "We don't need Shanahan" over? As if every bad decision in Denver the last few years was Shanny's and all the brilliant decisions belonged to these guys?

And now they're fired? And the new GM is a guy who spent the last few years helping Atlanta suck hind teat?

This is worthy of a new thread all its own.

An interesting season it will be in Donko land. Very interesting.

Mile High Mania
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Enh, we'll see what happens. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not.

Darth CarlSatan
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd hit it.
I'd hit it then many, many times.

Actually, you wouldn't. Carpet is the order of the day with ONJ.

LaChapelle
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Well that amuses me.

As we all are today

SNR
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Enh, we'll see what happens. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not.You do now

Brock
12-06-2010, 06:27 PM

LMAO

kstater
12-06-2010, 06:32 PM

I'm stunned you were wrong about this.

LMAO

Excellent news.

Iowanian
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I hope thats exactly how his career begins, every day of it, and ends in a few years with the team being in the same condition as that very waste basket.

Damn...I should pick up a side job as a fortune teller.

HE DID treat Denver like that waste basket.

The Bad Guy
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Self high five.

Basileus777
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
LMAO

Excellent news.

Well, I didn't expect McDaniels to trade the all away!

But yeah, McDaniels was the one coach I wanted KC to avoid at all costs, and I pretty much expected him to fail in Denver. That trend of going for super young coordinators with little experience was pretty awful, and all of those coaches (McDaniels, Kiffin, Mangini) were doomed to fail in their first job.

DaWolf
12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
God, why do the Pats asst. coaches have to go to teams I hate. Other than Romeo Crennel, it's been a clean sweep. Jets, Notre Dame and now Broncos.

:banghead:

Mission accomplished...

Tylerthigpen!1!
12-06-2010, 06:51 PM
I honestly don't think Josh was given enough time. He was going for the team aspect. That takes time to build. I guess he was hired to win playoff games immediately since that's why the rat was fired. I think he will learn from his mistakes with culter and marshall and become a good head coach one day.

jAZ
12-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Yes, THAT was why waiting on Pioli was killing us. :)

CoMoChief
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
How many times are we gonna send Broncos packin?

We sent Jake Plummer into retirement after the 2006 Thanksgiving game

Now we send Mcdumbass packin'

Chocolate Hog
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Lawlz

LaChapelle
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM
pack mules
Grand Canyon
Redrum's mom

CoMoChief
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I honestly don't think Josh was given enough time. He was going for the team aspect. That takes time to build. I guess he was hired to win playoff games immediately since that's why the rat was fired. I think he will learn from his mistakes with culter and marshall and become a good head coach one day.

I agree to this most of the time but the man was WAY in over his head on being a HC. I think everyone in the NFL saw that.

Just the way he handled the Cutler situation when NONE of that had to happen. They could have prevented the Brandon Marshall fuckup as well.

The way he handled the draft picks, the team was in a downfall under his leadership and was getting worse and "finding new ways to lose". Once that happens...you gotta go in a different direction.