PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Cheapest blue ray player?

BWillie
01-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I have a PS3 right now, and I don't ever play it. I want to sell it. Have a few games, figure I could get $315 or so for it. I basically have just kept it around because it's a dvd player and blue ray. I don't think I've ever even got a blue ray dvd anyways.

Is blue ray 1080p? My plasma only supports 1080i anyway, so I don't know if I see much of a point to keep around a blue ray player. Do they have good dvd players that aren't blue ray that upscale regular dvd players to true hidefinition? how does that work, and if not, would it be in my interests to buy a blue ray player? What is the cheapest one out there right now?

Fruit Ninja
01-11-2009, 11:58 PM
If the movie isnt in at least 720, then its not HD. Even with a upconverter its not. It will look fairly well, but its not quite on the same level as HD.

I dont know what the cheapsest BR player is though. I am sure you can get them for about 200 bucks right now.

pr_capone
01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
I love the cycle of technology.

When I was 16 I would sell DVD players at Sears for $200 + a pop. The *HIGH* end VHS players were still around $100 bucks.

I wonder what is next. I believe it will be 3-D TV which is being tested right now.

pr_capone
01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
oh.

sorry OP, can't help ya... sorry.

88TG88
01-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Keep the PS3, it has PSN so you can rent shows and movies.

Valiant
01-12-2009, 03:35 AM
I love the cycle of technology.

When I was 16 I would sell DVD players at Sears for $200 + a pop. The *HIGH* end VHS players were still around $100 bucks.

I wonder what is next. I believe it will be 3-D TV which is being tested right now.

OLED tv's

Guru
01-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Keep the PS3, it has PSN so you can rent shows and movies.waste of money.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
The cheap Blu-Ray players are still around $200, and many of them are not upgradable to the extent the PS3 is, so down the line you may not be able to utilize the newer features of the disks.

Upscaling DVD players don't make the content HD, they improve the look, but it's not to HD standards.

Guru
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
The cheap Blu-Ray players are still around $200, and many of them are not upgradable to the extent the PS3 is, so down the line you may not be able to utilize the newer features of the disks.

Upscaling DVD players don't make the content HD, they improve the look, but it's not to HD standards.I have an upconverting DVD player and the PS3 upconvert blows it out of the water. Keep the PS3.

Buck
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw one in Best Buy's weekly ad for $99.

I'll check it out and let you know.

NEVERMIND, that was just a slick looking Upconverting DVD Player

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
If you are just looking for a good upconverting player, you should think about grabbing one of the Toshiba A-3's floating around ebay or refurb sites. It does a much better job of converting than about any non-Oppo player out there, and you should be able to get one for less than 70 bucks. I'd hold on to your PS3, or if you really wanted to get rid of hit, get a Panasonic BD-DMP 55K down the line.

morphius
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm starting to lean on waiting for the next tech, I expect something on solid state in the next few years.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm starting to lean on waiting for the next tech, I expect something on solid state in the next few years.

I've made up my mind to skip a standalone player and just upgrade my HTPC. With the right mobo and graphics card you can flawlessly output 1080p24 with lossless 7.1 lpcm. Should the next tech be SSD, all you need is a friggin card reader with a high enough throughput, which would be very cheap.

If it is something like HVD, well then that's another 10 years away.

TinyEvel
01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I have an upconverting DVD player and the PS3 upconvert blows it out of the water. Keep the PS3.

MAKE UP YOUR FLIPPIN' MIND, GURU!

"meeew...Dl movies are not a value, sell it....."

"WHeeew...upconvering on teh PS3 pwns KEEP IT"

VAG!

(just kidding)

You know my alliances, but seriously: The PS3's BRD player is updateable through the 'net. AND if you want to DL movies, you can. And play games (you never know what kinds of things you'll want to play in the future, or even rent if you have guests, etc.) plus, the network is growing every week.

I agree with Guru that the PS3's DVD upscaler looks GREAT on my (1080p) set. But it did as well when it was on my 720p set, too.

Point is, why sell the near-the-top-of-the-line machine and keep like $100 tops to get a bottom-scraper machine that you can't upgrade.

I don't think that's a wise choice.

Guru
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM

VAG!

(just kidding)

You know my alliances, but seriously: The PS3's BRD player is updateable through the 'net. AND if you want to DL movies, you can. And play games (you never know what kinds of things you'll want to play in the future, or even rent if you have guests, etc.) plus, the network is growing every week.

I agree with Guru that the PS3's DVD upscaler looks GREAT on my (1080p) set. But it did as well when it was on my 720p set, too.

Point is, why sell the near-the-top-of-the-line machine and keep like $100 tops to get a bottom-scraper machine that you can't upgrade.

I don't think that's a wise choice.Regardless of the fact you are just kidding :) I never once suggested to sell it over DL movies. I said DL movies are a waste of money.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM

VAG!

(just kidding)

I don't think that's a wise choice.

The PS3 doesn't even have a true scalar. It's only horizontal. The 360 does.

Miles
01-15-2009, 01:58 AM
The PS3 doesn't even have a true scalar. It's only horizontal. The 360 does.

I really haven't researched this much at all but I take it the 360 does a better job of upscaling? They both seem to do a decent enough job from what I can tell. I tend to use my use my PS3 for upscaling DVD's due to the 360 being loud and not wanting to put more wear on the 360 with its failure rate.

Guru
01-15-2009, 02:03 AM
I really haven't researched this much at all but I take it the 360 does a better job of upscaling? They both seem to do a decent enough job from what I can tell. I tend to use my use my PS3 for upscaling DVD's due to the 360 being loud and not wanting to put more wear on the 360 with its failure rate.Nothing like hearing the helicopter take off when starting it up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I really haven't researched this much at all but I take it the 360 does a better job of upscaling? They both seem to do a decent enough job from what I can tell. I tend to use my use my PS3 for upscaling DVD's due to the 360 being loud and not wanting to put more wear on the 360 with its failure rate.

Sometimes, people conflate upscaling with just not f'ing up the picture quality. The PS3 is going from a digital source--the MPEG 2 feed of the DVD, to a digital connection in the HDMI, to a digital interface, the HDMI in the other TV. Even without a scalar, that will look better than any progressive scan dvd player simply because the picture isn't going through multiple digital to analog conversions and then back.

Now, since the PS3 has a very powerful GPU, it will do a good job of rendering the original image, but if one were to look at it compared to say an Oppo, or even the HDMI ported 360's or Toshiba HD-DVD players, they'd notice a pretty significant difference.