PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nolan is Donks' DC

ILChief
01-13-2009, 05:33 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/13/nolan-in-as-broncos-defensive-coordinator/

another coach off the list. but hey, we'll have a GM by the super bowl.

Here's to another year of Herm and Gun

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 05:37 AM
:rolleyes:OH NOES!!! I wanted Nolan to be our HC!!!

ILChief
01-13-2009, 05:40 AM

no maybe he would have been a good def. coordinator that we'll never get to interview now. But hey, we have Herm and Gun.

mikey23545
01-13-2009, 06:15 AM
I know what the Chiefs should do... They should sign every unemployed coach and GM prospect in the NFL, that way we'll be sure not to miss any good ones!

Rooster
01-13-2009, 07:12 AM
I know what the Chiefs should do... They should sign every unemployed coach and GM prospect in the NFL, that way we'll be sure not to miss any good ones!

ROFL That sounds pretty good. We better grab Denny Green before someone gets him.

Brock
01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
That's a good hire, but it's going to take them some time to get some better players.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 08:57 AM

ROFL

This is quickly becoming the Official Mascot of ChiefsPlanet:

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 08:57 AM
That's a good hire, but it's going to take them some time to get some better players.

That fit a 3-4 scheme...

Agent V
01-13-2009, 09:01 AM
ROFL That sounds pretty good. We better grab Denny Green before someone gets him.

I still can't BELIEVE we missed out on Bill Walsh.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I still can't BELIEVE we missed out on Bill Walsh.

"This guy here is dead."

"Cross him off then."

ohiobronco2
01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
"This guy here is dead."

"Cross him off then."

Willie Mays Hayes

Mr. Laz
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
you know you guys keep joking around about this shit but if we aren't careful the coaching pool will be quite a bit smaller by the time we even get around to searching for one.

remember this smart ass post when Herm is still our coach next year.

Micjones
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
There are still plenty of quality candidates available.
Some of which are still dancing in the post-season.

Patience people...

Mr. Laz
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
"This guy here is dead."

"Cross him off then."

what was your name before?

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
you know you guys keep joking around about this shit but if we aren't careful the coaching pool will be quite a bit smaller by the time we even get around to searching for one.

remember this smart ass post when Herm is still our coach next year.

We are hiring a GM first. Our GM might be on the Steelers or Raven's staff right now. We are not going to hire a coach first. So there's no reason to panick when Mike Nolan is picked up.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
We are hiring a GM first. Our GM might be on the Steelers or Raven's staff right now. We are not going to hire a coach first. So there's no reason to panick when Mike Nolan is picked up.
except for you're ignoring the reality of the situation

if doesn't matter what our plans are ...... if all these other various teams hire the Head Coaches and then those HC have time to fill out their staffs before we even hire our GM .....

our GM is gonna be pretty limited in his HC choices.
our HC is gonna be even more limited in his OC choices
our OC's are gonna be seriously limited in their positional coach choices.

is it time to panic ........ nope

but it's time to start thinking about the possible problem

RustShack
01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Defense? Defense!?

Micjones
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Not time to panic, but this can definitely become a problem if we continue to drag our feet.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM

if doesn't matter what our plans are ...... if all these other various teams hire the Head Coaches and then those HC have time to fill out their staffs before we even hire our GM .....

It's not the problem you and others are making it out to be.

You're acting like a potential GM hasn't thought every day about who he would hire as HC if ever given the opportunity. These guys already have a short list, and in all likelihood, have discussed the possibility of working together with these potential HC's.

And potential HC's are no different. Rex Ryan (for example) already knows who the majority of his staff is going to be. Don't think for a second that these guys don't discuss these scenarios, even going back to the offseason. Back in 2004, Mike Nolan had a pretty good idea he'd be offered a HC job the following year, and started rounding up assistants he wanted to take with him, like Mike Singletary.

Pioli knows who he wants as HC.

DeCosta knows who he wants as HC.

These HC candidates aren't going to take a job with someone else until they know that any potential deal is dead.

Like I said last night, IF Jim Schwartz is someone that Pioli wants for a HC gig, he's not going to take the Detroit job until he knows that Pioli is staying put.

That's part of the reason why there has been so little activity.

The top GM candidates haven't taken jobs yet.

manchambo
01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
That fit a 3-4 scheme...

That would usually be a concern, but the players they have now don't fit the 4-3, or any other defensive scheme for that matter, so it's not that much of a problem.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 11:09 AM
That would usually be a concern, but the players they have now don't fit the 4-3, or any other defensive scheme for that matter, so it's not that much of a problem.

I know.

We've been talking about the same thing around here.

The difference is we have a #5 overall pick that would be seriously devalued if we went to it.

manchambo
01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I know.

We've been talking about the same thing around here.

The difference is we have a #5 overall pick that would be seriously devalued if we went to it.

I would think Dorsey would make a good NT. Why wouldn't he?

RustShack
01-13-2009, 12:01 PM

He doesn't even make a good NT in a 4-3. ROFL

Crush
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM

He's not big enough.

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Agreed. I want to see this thing done as much as anyone, but....

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Not even close to being a NT. Hell, he should be an under tackle. Not even a big 4-3 guy. He could MAYBE be a 3-4 DE.

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
It's not the problem you and others are making it out to be.

You're acting like a potential GM hasn't thought every day about who he would hire as HC if ever given the opportunity. These guys already have a short list, and in all likelihood, have discussed the possibility of working together with these potential HC's.

And potential HC's are no different. Rex Ryan (for example) already knows who the majority of his staff is going to be. Don't think for a second that these guys don't discuss these scenarios, even going back to the offseason. Back in 2004, Mike Nolan had a pretty good idea he'd be offered a HC job the following year, and started rounding up assistants he wanted to take with him, like Mike Singletary.

Pioli knows who he wants as HC.

DeCosta knows who he wants as HC.

These HC candidates aren't going to take a job with someone else until they know that any potential deal is dead.

Like I said last night, IF Jim Schwartz is someone that Pioli wants for a HC gig, he's not going to take the Detroit job until he knows that Pioli is staying put.

That's part of the reason why there has been so little activity.

The top GM candidates haven't taken jobs yet.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Info may not be being leaked to us, but info gets around in the good ole boy circles.

Chiefshrink
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Brock, with all due respect, I am jacked UP!!!!! that Nolan is the Broncs D-coordinator! Why? Every D-coordinator position he had prior to the 49ers he ran the D into the ground. Look at the numbers with Redskins,Giants,Ravens he worsened both the pass and run in rankings.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chiefshrink
01-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Bottom line Nolan is all "Perception is Reality". Look at the numbers and you will see(worse performance by the D) that he is all about living off Daddy's name and lookin good on the sideline "stylin".

Glad the Broncs got him!!!ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

KCCHIEFS27
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Patience is a virtue.

donkhater
01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
What makes Nloan a good choice at DC? Because he led a good Raven's defense? Hasn't EVERY Baltimore coordinator been able to to have a good Raven's defense (Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Nolan)? IMO his success as a defensive coordinator for the Raven's had more to do with Ozzie Newsome getting him good players (Lewis, Suggs, Reed, McAlister, Rolle, et. al.).

Did his Niner teams play great D? Not especially. I think he is a solid choice, but until the Broncos draft defense better, I'm not concerned with who's coaching them.

People can bitch and moan all they want about Gunther, but the fact is the players on the defensive side of the Chiefs are and have been subpar (to be generous). Gun has had a hand in selecting those players, no doubt, but his success in the 90's was due to Thomas, Smith, Carter, Hasty, Saleamua, et. al.

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
What makes Nloan a good choice at DC? Because he led a good Raven's defense? Hasn't EVERY Baltimore coordinator been able to to have a good Raven's defense (Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Nolan)? IMO his success as a defensive coordinator for the Raven's had more to do with Ozzie Newsome getting him good players (Lewis, Suggs, Reed, McAlister, Rolle, et. al.).

Did his Niner teams play great D? Not especially. I think he is a solid choice, but until the Broncos draft defense better, I'm not concerned with who's coaching them.

People can bitch and moan all they want about Gunther, but the fact is the players on the defensive side of the Chiefs are and have been subpar (to be generous). Gun has had a hand in selecting those players, no doubt, but his success in the 90's was due to Thomas, Smith, Carter, Hasty, Saleamua, et. al.

It's all about talent, and Gunther couldn't tell the diffenence between Lawrence Taylor, and Kedrell Bell.

I'm not saying Coaching doesn't matter. It does. Big time. But, it still comes down to the players on the field.

BigRock
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
What makes Nolan a good choice at DC?

If you want Denver's defense to keep sucking, Nolan's not a good choice, he's a great choice.