PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Nate Davis to enter the draft

bowener
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Per ESPN... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3830190)

Just saw it on TV.

McShay has him ranked as the 4th NFL ready QB.

Kiper
1. Matt Stafford
2. Sam Bradford
3. Mark Sanchez
4. Josh Freeman
5. Nate Davis

McShay
1. Bradford
2. Stafford
3. Sanchez
4. Davis
5. Freeman

From here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSOdHqahxZw)

Chiefnj2
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Whitlock just got the subject of his next article.

Goapics1
JWhit just ordered a fifth helping of BBQ to celebrate.

SNR
He's going to shoot up the draft charts much like Flacco did last year. Lots of teams seem to need QBs this year.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
black quarterbacks rule!! /whitlock

sedated
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Mitch Holtus LOVES this kid.

Bowser
01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Sign him at 3 before anyone else has the chance to get him lullllzz

ARROW2
Sing him then..........party at Gates, Whitlock is hosting....

OnTheWarpath58
Wow.

He changed his mind.

He'll shoot up boards, IMO.

Chiefnj2
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
He better hope he gets drafted by a team that plays in a dome. His bowl game performance was horrible.

Bowser
01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow.

He changed his mind.

Trade down bait for the Chiefs? :shrug:

Bowser
01-13-2009, 12:37 PM

If, of course, anyone wants to trade up that far.

SNR
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd rather have Davis instead of Bradford

Chiefnj2
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Bowener:

Who were the first three NFL ready QB's?

Goapics1
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
He better hope he gets drafted by a team that plays in a dome. His bowl game performance was horrible.

Never underestimate the power of chaos.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Not sure.

He could end up anywhere from 20th to 60th, IMO.

raybec 4
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
He has all the tools to be great in the NFL and he could be a first rounder. Are there any second or third round guys that could be steals that late? Rhett Bomar for example.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
He has all the tools to be great in the NFL and he could be a first rounder. Are there any second or third round guys that could be steals that late? Rhett Bomar for example.

Bomar might be a late 3rd, but probably 4th or later. A lot can change between now and April.

He'll probably be the first senior taken though...

duncan_idaho
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow.

He changed his mind.

I saw this coming as soon as Hoke rumors started circulating. If Hoke was still at BSU, I think Davis sticks around as he originally planned.

He'd be great value at No. 35, but I doubt he lasts that long.

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I saw this coming as soon as Hoke rumors started circulating. If Hoke was still at BSU, I think Davis sticks around as he originally planned.

He'd be great value at No. 35, but I doubt he lasts that long.

I was wondering when you'd make an appearance in this thread.

And I'm with you, I don't think he'll make it to us in the 2nd, but you never know.

If Pioli is hired, I can see Davis as a target. Trade back, pick up more picks, and save money.

Dicky McElephant
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
If he did fall to us at #35......would he be a good pickup? I didn't get the chance to see him play that much this year.

Chiefnj2
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Only time I've seen him play he's done poorly. Bowl game this year, I saw some clips of the Buffalo game and last year against Rutgers. Did Ball State ever play a ranked team with him behind center?

OnTheWarpath58
01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Here's a "scouting report" on Davis:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1740

Davis (the son of Bellaire, Ohio) is probably the next best QB to come out of the small school ranks. He started seven of twelve games as a true freshman in 2006, while completing 150 out of 245 passes for 1,975 yards with 18 TD and 8 INT. In 2007, Davis posted 3,667 yards worth of passing on 270 out of 478 attempts with 30 TD and just 6 INT -- he played his best against the best. Against the once powerful Nebraska Blackshirt defense, Davis took them for 422 yards and three TD. He was named the teams' Most Valuable Player after the season.

Davis has it all. A big frame, powerful arm, and accuracy to go along with them. He is athletic enough to buy time with his legs, and he goes through his progressions with relative ease. Check his second and third options rather regularly. He is a leader who takes command of the huddle. However, he lacks experience, his throwing motion needs refinement and his footwork needs more development.

Davis, a junior, is a rare physical specimen. He is a true NFL product. If he declares, and all indications points towards that, he would be highly sought after by many teams. He is a second round talent who, with a great last two months of the season, could sneak into the later stages of the first round. Davis will be a starter in the NFL by 2010.

Bowser
01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Only time I've seen him play he's done poorly. Bowl game this year, I saw some clips of the Buffalo game and last year against Rutgers. Did Ball State ever play a ranked team with him behind center?

You mean that bowl game in the heavy downpour?

bowener
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
JWhit just ordered a fifth helping of BBQ to celebrate.

I thought he was tying off and injecting Gates right into his vein.

duncan_idaho
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, between the holidays, work being nuts last week when I returned from the holiday break, and my laptop dying a few weeks ago, my CP time has been limited.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Davis' stock. I think a lot will depend on how tall he measures at the Combine.

Things are starting to get interesting all around, with guys declaring/not declaring.

But it's starting to look like next year could be a very strong QB class, if Sanchez and Bradford both stay in college.

Dicky McElephant
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Here's a "scouting report" on Davis:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1740

So as of right now he's probably a late 1st...early 2nd round pick. Maybe he'll be there and we can trade up a couple of spots to get him.

Demonpenz
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
From what I see he is alittle raw, he always has a funky grip on the ball

bowener
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Bowener:

Who were the first three NFL ready QB's?

IDK

Packing right now, when I get more time I will look.

Shag
01-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Doesn't use the laces? Weird...

Goapics1
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM

My 4yr old holds the football like that. Doesn't like the laces.

bowener
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

From what I read of Bomar, it basically makes me think if we drafted him, we would just have a rookie Thigpen all over again.

Fish
01-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Yeah... that's concerning. And the glove on the throwing hand. That's always made me nervous too...

But the kid has put up some good numbers. And he progresses through his reads very well. That's probably the most encouraging aspect of his game, and one of the main reasons his TD/INT ratio is so good. Watch the way he scans the field, and goes through 3 different reads like nothing. Being able to do that so easily makes him quite efficient with the football. Lots of coaches are going to love that.

But his mechanics could really use some work. As smart as he is, I'm confident that he can overcome it. I expect good things from Davis. Not right away, but some team is going to be happy with him down the line....

Goapics1
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Yeah... that's concerning. And the glove on the throwing hand. That's always made me nervous too...

This guy has had a decent career.

http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w49/img.87586_t.jpg

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I'd love Nate Davis in the second round if they don't get Stafford at #3, or later in the first if they decide to trade down.

I'm still a Thigpen fan, and I think he could develop into a very good starter, but there's no point no taking the best QB available. It's a win win: Stafford or Davis beats out Thigpen and becomes the next Flacco or Ryan OR Thigpen develops the way I think he will and they have major trade bait.

duncan_idaho
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM

But the kid has put up some good numbers. And he progresses through his reads very well. That's probably the most encouraging aspect of his game, and one of the main reasons his TD/INT ratio is so good. Watch the way he scans the field, and goes through 3 different reads like nothing. Being able to do that so easily makes him quite efficient with the football. Lots of coaches are going to love that.

But his mechanics could really use some work. As smart as he is, I'm confident that he can overcome it. I expect good things from Davis. Not right away, but some team is going to be happy with him down the line....

I think Davis' accuracy is pretty impressive considering how inconsistent his throwing motion/mechanics are.

Some guys just have it. I think he's one of those that just has a knack for putting the ball in the right spot. And the ability to throw from different arm angles always comes in handy.

As far as the laces thing... Davis has enormous hands. I have heard other people with large hands complain that the laces actually get in their way because of the size of their hands. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case with Davis...

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I think he would be perfect for Minnesota.

Fish
01-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Davis' accuracy is pretty impressive considering how inconsistent his throwing motion/mechanics are.

Some guys just have it. I think he's one of those that just has a knack for putting the ball in the right spot. And the ability to throw from different arm angles always comes in handy.

As far as the laces thing... Davis has enormous hands. I have heard other people with large hands complain that the laces actually get in their way because of the size of their hands. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case with Davis...

He's obviously accurate with that kind of TD/INT ratio. You can be accurate and still have bad mechanics though. The thing is, his mechanics will be much much more of a factor in the pros compared to what he's faced up to this point. In college you can get away with that kind of thing.

I've never had any experience with a QB with giant hands that make laces unnecessary. But I'm sure it's possible.

warrior
01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I think he would be perfect for Minnesota.

This

KChiefs1
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Kiper
1. Matt Stafford
2. Sam Bradford
3. Mark Sanchez
4. Josh Freeman
5. Nate Davis

McShay
1. Bradford
2. Stafford
3. Sanchez
4. Davis
5. Freeman

This is really a great QB class....funny thing is there aren't any senior QB's!:doh!: