PDA

View Full Version : Football AFC West: Extreme Makeover 2009

Mile High Mania
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Well, this is going to be interesting...

The Chargers appear to be the only team returning in 2009 essentially as we saw them close out 2008. The Raiders... sure, they'll have a new HC and other changes, but until Al releases his grip on the throat of that franchise, I'm not sure what can be expected.

However, Denver and Kansas City are making incredibly drastic changes to their franchises this off-season and it will be very interesting to see how it all works out since they're both doing it at the same time.

Both KC and Denver have nice pieces in place and both have serious areas of concern... new faces at GM, HC and across the rest of the staff for both teams (we'll see what happens with the players soon).

All in all, I am excited to see what happens. It sucked seeing the division perform so poorly in 2008. It will be great to see the AFCW get back on top in the NFL and I hope it happens.

Chiefs' fans... your prayers have been answered, for your sake - I hope they deliver.

I know many Denver fans question what has happened there, but I'm very optimistic and I don't think change is a bad thing. I believe it had to happen.

Anyway - here's hoping for good things in 2009 and beyond. (more for the Broncos than anyone else... of course)

DaFace
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Good post. I think Denver will have the upper hand for a couple years. Unfortunately for us, your offense is a force to be reckoned with if you can just get your defense in gear. However, I'm more hopeful for our long-term prospects than I've been in a long time.

Here's hoping the rivalry between the teams returns soon!

Buck
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
I think the Chargers will have the grips on the division at least for one more year, then we'll see a couple years down the road how the changes have helped KC/DEN/OAK.

IMO, Norv is out unless he wins a SB next year, no matter what.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
We'll see... is LT done or was this just an off year? Can they find a way to get Chambers back to being a playmaker? They have their share of questions... things can turn around in a hurry, as we've seen time and time again.

dirk digler
01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Great post as usual MHM. It will be interesting to see McDaniels going up against a Pioli built team.

PhillyChiefFan
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Good post, I agree. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of this franchise.

Buck
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
We'll see... is LT done or was this just an off year? Can they find a way to get Chambers back to being a playmaker? They have their share of questions... things can turn around in a hurry, as we've seen time and time again.

The big question is LT. He will be back next year, but lets see if he can perform.

Regarding Chambers...

When you have LT/Gates/Chambers/Vincent Jackson etc...

Someone is going to be left out of the picture. Chambers still has his presence, but I think they are putting their #1 corner on Chambers over Jackson, and Jackson is getting more chances because of it.

All that being said, I don't think that Denver or KC (or Oakland for that matter) are ready to take over as AFC West Champ yet.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
All that being said, I don't think that Denver or KC (or Oakland for that matter) are ready to take over as AFC West Champ yet.

We'll see ... I don't think the gap between the teams is all that wide when you look at the teams. It depends on what changes are put in place.

Who will be the coach in KC?

Will Denver move to the 3-4?

Is Sproles a FA this year? I don't know if he's an every down back or not and I do think LT has peaked... he will still have his moments, but I don't think he's the LT they're used to having back there.

Otter
01-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Yep. It wasn't too long ago AFC West was "the toughest division in football". Let's hope we get back to there for, if nothing else, good football.

Raiders need to get rid of Al and the West will be well on the road to recovery.

Buck
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Yep. It wasn't too long ago AFC West was "the toughest division in football". Let's hope we get back to there for, if nothing else, good football.

Raiders need to get rid of Al and the West will be well on the road to recovery.

Whenever the AFC West is the toughest division in football, that means the Chargers are the worst team in the AFC West...I don't want to see that.

LOL

I seriously doubt the Chargers will win less than 10 games next year, but I guess you never know with Norv.

Luckily they won't have to worry about Ted Cottrell to begin the season like they have the past 2 years.

HemiEd
01-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Dawn of a new day!

HemiEd is hoping they get this right, not sure how many more of these I will be around for. :)

Ultra Peanut
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
About LdT:

Chargers beat writer Nick Canepa believes LaDainian Tomlinson is unlikely to return to San Diego next season.

A reliable source, Canepa cites LT2's age, $8.8 million salary cap number, and the injuries that have kept him on the sidelines during the last two playoff runs. Asked how he would replace a Hall of Fame back, GM A.J. Smith replied, "You're assuming that, if we have to move on, we're not capable of getting another running back." The writing is on the wall, and Tomlinson's days in San Diego are numbered.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I seriously doubt the Chargers will win less than 10 games next year...

Well, the 2009 schedules for the AFCW won't be easy... there is a lot of ugliness out there.

San Diego
Home: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Philadelphia, Washington
Away: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Dallas, N.Y. Giants

Denver
Home: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas, N.Y. Giants
Away: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Washington

Kansas City
Home: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Dallas, N.Y. Giants
Away: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Washington

Oakland
Home: Baltimore, Cincinnati, N.Y. Jets, Philadelphia, Washington
Away: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Dallas, N.Y. Giants

Buck
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
About LdT:

First of all, his initials are LT, not LdT.

Secondly, hes coming back. I don't care what anyone says, he'll be back.

Buck
01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, the 2009 schedules for the AFCW won't be easy... there is a lot of ugliness out there.

San Diego

Denver

Kansas City

Oakland

You guys sorta got screwed this year.

Normally Indy and New England are good for the 1st place team every year, but somehow they both finished 2nd this year...

Mile High Mania
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
You guys sorta got screwed this year.

Normally Indy and New England are good for the 1st place team every year, but somehow they both finished 2nd this year...

Yeah, playing NE and INDY is a bit of a buzzkill for next season... none of the other 3 AFC teams plays one of them, but Denver gets 'em both.

Welcome to Denver, Josh! Buckle up...

KChiefs1
01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Should be a very interesting few years in the AFC West.

Mile High Mania
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Now that we all have our HC's in place, figured I would bump this one.

Sure, every year it seems like we see a team like Atlanta have a reversal of fortune, but could we see any of the teams not from SD compete for greatness?

I think the entire division is in for a hell of a ride in 2009.

San Diego

Denver

Kansas City

Oakland

bowener
02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
If I were to compare this to TV's extreme Makeover: Home edition, I would say the Chiefs just tore down their outdoor shitter-closet and put up a 20 room modern mansion.

As for the other teams, The Donks were evicted from their suburban middle class mansion and moved into a downtown condo, but next to a lot of new construction... it will be seen later if it was a good move or not.

The Chargers burned down their house last year, they are still trying to figure out why they did that and what to build from the scraps.

The Raiders currently reside in the same bed pan.

stevieray
02-06-2009, 05:37 PM
IIRC, this is like the fifth year in a row that the AFCW has played the SB champs...:hmmm:

keg in kc
02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I think the division next year may look a lot like the division last year, with the team that manages to struggle above .500 taking it. Probably the bolts, although I think we're going to see another year of style over substance from SD, so it may be Denver or KC. I doubt it's Oakland, although stranger things have happened.

Buck
02-06-2009, 05:44 PM
This upcoming year SD will win.

After that they will fall off for 3 or 4 years, maybe longer.

Chiefs and Broncos battle it out for the Division from then on until Oakland builds itself backup in 5 years or so...

phillip
02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
This upcoming year SD will win.

After that they will fall off for 3 or 4 years, maybe longer.

Chiefs and Broncos battle it out for the Division from then on until Oakland builds itself backup in 5 years or so...

IDK, they barely eeked it out last year and I don't see them being any better this year.

Buck
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
IDK, they barely eeked it out last year and I don't see them being any better this year.

Add Shawn Merriman to your team and you instantly get better.

Not to mention Antonio Cromartie played the entire season w/ a fractured hip.

Mile High Mania
02-07-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't think there's a great deal of difference between any of the teams in the AFCW. The schedule is a bear, but I think talent levels across the board are more even that some will admit.

milkman
02-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Add Shawn Merriman to your team and you instantly get better.

Not to mention Antonio Cromartie played the entire season w/ a fractured hip.

And, as you noted, Cottrell is gone, and Rivera had the D producing at a higher level almost immediately after taking over.

Still, with Norv as the HC, there is always going to be underachieving.

rad
02-07-2009, 07:46 AM

LT= Lawrence Taylor

LT2/LdT= Tomlinson

the Talking Can
02-07-2009, 08:00 AM
the afc west has needed new blood for awhile....this is all good

the faders are now behind...kept from the cleansing they need until wrinkled al dies

Chargers have a good QB and good young players, they aren't going anywhere for awhile...Denver just needs some defense

the Chiefs are still looking for a QB and as such are 2 years away from any serious push...but we could have a very strong conference by then, where the games mean something...that would be sweet...

whoman69
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
The Raiders are still a mess despite having a capable coach now. They will have another 10 loss season next year. Man, I'm going out on a limb on that one.

Brock
02-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Who cares, he's done.

CupidStunt
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
This'll be more interesting in May. Then we'll know how much of a true makeover certain teams will have.

alanm
02-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Secondly, hes coming back. I don't care what anyone says, he'll be back.There's only one LT and Tomlinson ain't him.

milkman
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
There's only one LT and Tomlinson ain't him.

Lawrence Tynes?

:D

KC kid
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
In regards to the AFC West, without ever seeing a move these new coaches make, I think it is easy to assume that it is going to be Denver and maybe KC. I won't even waste time talking about the Raiders.

I think that the Chargers are a team in turmoil. They made many great picks and moves a few years back but have hit some turbulant waters. Merriman is probably done for and Gates is moving past his prime. LT is also on his last leg. On top of all this, Turner does not seem like a good long term answer at coach. They do have the most consistent QB in the division and this is always a good place to start.

Denver and KC both hired boom or busts type head coaches. Who knows which will be better? It is obvious Denver has more pieces to work with at this point in time, as they have found their QB. I am one of those people that believe you do not have anything if you do not have a QB. I do think the Chiefs perhaps hold a bit of an edge in the brainpower acquired when Pioli came to town.

All in all, I think Denver and KC will both become offensive powerhouses in short time. The team that controls the AFCW will be the team that is best able to build a strong defense.

All that being said, I hope KC fans come back to Arrowhead and turn it into te stadium it once was. It has not been the same in the last few years and regaining homefield advantage will go a long ways in rebuilding KC.

Buehler445
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Good discussion in this thread.

Chargers probably still have a lock on the division.
Dungver's offense is still crazy scary. :cuss:
The fade has a long way to go. Until they get some decent FO personnel in there, it's not going to be good.
The Chiefs....WTF knows? But for the first time in a long time the future is bright