PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So what exactly has Pioli done?

B_Ambuehl
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
On his own, that didn't involve Bill Belichik having influence and final authority?

Just remember a lot of fans from Notre Dame, NY, and Cleveland were going ape shit wild over Weiss, Mangina, and Crennel and without Belichik all 3 were basically flops. Josh McDaniels and Pioli could very easily be added to that list as well.

I'll remain skeptical until he proves himself.

Micjones
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
It was his idea to bring Moss to New England, no?

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
He's been highly successful at not being Carl Peterson.

SPATCH
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
wtf? stfu

dirk digler
That didn't take long before Debbie Downer showed up.

You would think getting the best candidate would make some people happy but I guess not.

Fritz88
Everyone in NE knows that Pioli is BB's right hand man and was very instrumental in getting the pats to where they at now.

I honestly do not care, anything is better than Carl. Clark spent quite some time researching this and I am sure he only chose Pioli because he knew he could get the job done.

Jenson71
What have they done without him?

Woodrow Call
I'm shocked you are taking this view point just SHOCKED.

SNR
What have you posted lately that makes people think you're not an idiot?

I'll remain skeptical until I see some results...

Brock
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
"Hey, I hate to shit in your corn flakes, but....."

The Bad Guy
This is the same retard that proclaimed Will Svitek was going to be the "next great OT".

You are a retard until you prove otherwise.

Hoover
Give us hope!

Ultra Peanut
01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm edgy.

DEAL WITH IT!

88TG88

you win

FringeNC
Well, in a broad sense, what we know is that it's all going to be about the system and the team, not the player. No more changing around a offensive or defensive philosophy to fit a player's strength.

Chocolate Hog
This thread sucks

dirk digler
What have you posted lately that makes people think you're not an idiot?

I'll remain skeptical until I see some results...

LMAO

Basileus777
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
He drafted Chad Jackson.

MIAdragon
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/nancitaf/AttentionWhore.jpg

Mr. Laz
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
i've change me mind ...... i found someone i don't particularly love right now. :(

B_Ambuehl
LOL. My Svitek sig was a joke from day 1 because it was obvious he could never block anyone. But I'm being serious here. Everybody just assumes Pioli is a great candidate but the reality is he's done nothing. Being Belichiks right hand man doesn't say much because Belichik does what Belichik wants to do.

Brock
Pioli lacks fast twitch muscle fiber.

SNR
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep guys. Ambuehl is the same tard who has posted gems like this:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145444

If people like him are skeptical of Pioli's skills as a general manager, that only further affirms Pioli's credibility.

KCChiefsFan88
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
What has Belicheck done without Pioli?

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2009, 02:30 PM

And a video camera

SNR
01-13-2009, 02:30 PM
He drafted Chad Jackson.And Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.

So?

KCChiefsMan
01-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long for some dummy to come in here and say something like that.

B_Ambuehl
He's coached football games and won superbowls that's what he's done. Pioli doesn't cross over into coaching but Belichik does cross over into management. That's the difference.

dirk digler
He drafted Chad Jackson.

and Tom Brady and Richard Seymour

Basileus777
01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
and Tom Brady and Richard Seymour

I wasn't being serious.

rashid242
01-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Won 2 Super Bowls as a Defensive Coordinator.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Scott Pioli is NOT Carl Peterson. Thread over.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
LOL. My Svitek sig was a joke from day 1 because it was obvious he could never block anyone. But I'm being serious here. Everybody just assumes Pioli is a great candidate but the reality is he's done nothing. Being Belichiks right hand man doesn't say much because Belichik does what Belichik wants to do.

What did Belichick win without him?

dirk digler
01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I wasn't being serious.

Damn you :D

The Bad Guy
01-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Great defensive coordinator.

BB is the best head coach of all time. But behind every great coach is someone getting the players for him to be a great coach.

the Talking Can
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
On his own, that didn't involve Bill Belichik having influence and final authority?

Just remember a lot of fans from Notre Dame, NY, and Cleveland were going ape shit wild over Weiss, Mangina, and Crennel and without Belichik all 3 were basically flops. Josh McDaniels and Pioli could very easily be added to that list as well.

no cares, loser

KCChiefsFan88
01-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Give me Parcells as a head coach and LT and I'll go win 2 Super Bowls as a defensive coordinator as well

Chief_in_Commander
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Well the guy under him, never can remember his name, is the one who is running the show in Atlanta now and I say he did a decent job so if that was an understudy to Pioli I like our chances

Fritz88
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/401

1. Pioli was with Bill Belichick for nine seasons and the duo was the longest-tenured coach-personnel man duo going in the NFL. During those nine seasons, the Patriots won three Super Bowls, four AFC titles and six division championships. How much of it was Belichick and how much was Pioli? Chiefs fans are happily about to find out the answer.

2. Pioli was a two-time winner as the NFL Young Executive of the Year Award, in 2003 and 2004. Well, blow me to smithereens, I didn't know such an award existed. But it's an impressive feat anyway. The other execs to win the award twice in a row were Bill Polian and Bobby Beathard and Pioli was younger than both them when he won. That's some seriously good company to run in.

3. Some really impressive personnel facts from the Patriots' mini-dynasty:

* In 2005, the Patriots set a post-merger league record for a division champion by utilizing 45 different starters
* In 2003, the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVIII despite using 42 different starters, the most in league history by a Super Bowl champion
* Last season, the Patriots tied the all-time NFL record with 21 different players scoring touchdowns
* Of the 53 players on the Patriots' Super Bowl XLII roster, 43 were acquired after the team's first championship in 2001 and 31 were acquired since the team's third title in 2004

4. In 2007, six Patriots players drafted by Belichick and Pioli were selected to the Pro Bowl and were named to the Associated Press All-Pro first or second teams: Tom Brady (sixth round), Dan Koppen (fifth round), Matt Light (second round), Logan Mankins (first round), Asante Samuel (fourth round) and Vince Wilfork (first round).

5. This is a quote from a Super Bowl Bowl press conference that, to me, would have made me want to kiss Pioli on the mouth if I were hiring him to run my football team. It's about the most valuable lesson he's learned as a personnel man: "Not to get caught up in the numbers. The things like height, weight and speed. The test numbers. It's not getting too caught up in numbers. I've made mistakes by getting caught up with the workouts. Tom Brady took some heat recently when they showed a video of his running a 40-yard dash. Tommy's speed and running has nothing to do with his pocket presence. Here is a guy, he has vision. He has the feel. He has the sense. He knows when to step up, so his athleticism is due to his awareness. Ted Bruschi, his instincts are incredible. They're rare. He plays a lot faster than what his numbers on paper would indicate. Ty Warren's strength-I remember when Ty was coming out, his overall wasn't great but he has this brute strength. Wes Welker is another guy. He has enough quickness to get away from folks."

In other words, he targets guys that look good playing football, not just standing there in a uniform. It seems obvious, but the production over potential issue is one that tugs at every talent evaluator in every sport. I cast my lot with the production crowd. It took awhile, but I think Clark Hunt has made a great move for the future of football in Kansas City.

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Fuck that. Today is the best possible situation that could have transpired.

Guru
01-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Here it goes. Already trying to bring him down. heh

Deberg_1990
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Pioli also worked with Parcells in the late 90's with the Jets.

They had that mini-resurgence in 98 with Testaverde.

I believe Pioli was with them in 2000 when they drafted Abraham and Pennington as well.

beavis
01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I bet if someone handed you $100, you'd be pissed that it wasn't $200.

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 03:10 PM

1. Pioli was with Bill Belichick for nine seasons and the duo was the longest-tenured coach-personnel man duo going in the NFL. During those nine seasons, the Patriots won three Super Bowls, four AFC titles and six division championships. How much of it was Belichick and how much was Pioli? Chiefs fans are happily about to find out the answer.

2. Pioli was a two-time winner as the NFL Young Executive of the Year Award, in 2003 and 2004. Well, blow me to smithereens, I didn't know such an award existed. But it's an impressive feat anyway. The other execs to win the award twice in a row were Bill Polian and Bobby Beathard and Pioli was younger than both them when he won. That's some seriously good company to run in.

* In 2005, the Patriots set a post-merger league record for a division champion by utilizing 45 different starters
* In 2003, the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVIII despite using 42 different starters, the most in league history by a Super Bowl champion
* Last season, the Patriots tied the all-time NFL record with 21 different players scoring touchdowns
* Of the 53 players on the Patriots' Super Bowl XLII roster, 43 were acquired after the team's first championship in 2001 and 31 were acquired since the team's third title in 2004

4. In 2007, six Patriots players drafted by Belichick and Pioli were selected to the Pro Bowl and were named to the Associated Press All-Pro first or second teams: Tom Brady (sixth round), Dan Koppen (fifth round), Matt Light (second round), Logan Mankins (first round), Asante Samuel (fourth round) and Vince Wilfork (first round).

5. This is a quote from a Super Bowl Bowl press conference that, to me, would have made me want to kiss Pioli on the mouth if I were hiring him to run my football team. It's about the most valuable lesson he's learned as a personnel man: "Not to get caught up in the numbers. The things like height, weight and speed. The test numbers. It's not getting too caught up in numbers. I've made mistakes by getting caught up with the workouts. Tom Brady took some heat recently when they showed a video of his running a 40-yard dash. Tommy's speed and running has nothing to do with his pocket presence. Here is a guy, he has vision. He has the feel. He has the sense. He knows when to step up, so his athleticism is due to his awareness. Ted Bruschi, his instincts are incredible. They're rare. He plays a lot faster than what his numbers on paper would indicate. Ty Warren's strength-I remember when Ty was coming out, his overall wasn't great but he has this brute strength. Wes Welker is another guy. He has enough quickness to get away from folks."

In other words, he targets guys that look good playing football, not just standing there in a uniform. It seems obvious, but the production over potential issue is one that tugs at every talent evaluator in every sport. I cast my lot with the production crowd. It took awhile, but I think Clark Hunt has made a great move for the future of football in Kansas City.

That's some impressive shit. I still can't believe it. Things like this just did not happen for the Chiefs in the past. I am in shock.

How the hell can you compare Romeo Crennel or any other coach to a GM. Especially one the caliber of Pioli.

Simply Red
01-13-2009, 03:19 PM

:spock:

Guru
01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I bet if someone handed you $100, you'd be pissed that it wasn't $200.this

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Another dumbass thread by B_Ambuehl imagine that.

warrior
01-13-2009, 03:30 PM

Good post :thumb:

B_Ambuehl
01-13-2009, 03:34 PM

It sounds to me like Chiefs fans have already determined who "the man" was. Just like they did with Dorsey and his ability to control the line of scrimmage. Just like they did with Herm and the dominating D he was gonna bring. :)

oaklandhater
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
It sounds to me like Chiefs fans have already determined who "the man" was. Just like they did with Dorsey and his ability to control the line of scrimmage. Just like they did with Herm and the dominating D he was gonna bring. :)

lol there was very few ppl who were happy to bring in herm

Guru
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
It sounds to me like Chiefs fans have already determined who "the man" was. Just like they did with Dorsey and his ability to control the line of scrimmage. Just like they did with Herm and the dominating D he was gonna bring. :)Where the hell have you been? I certainly don't remember too many being happy about that hire. I know I was pissed.

siberian khatru
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM

ROFL

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Jeez, way to try, and shit on a great day.

Fail.

Edit: I deleted it off my computer too. It's disgusting.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Who in your opinion would have been a better and more qualified hire?

Dartgod
01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
He fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. He led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. He's seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. He's won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN and loved only one woman with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who he is. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!

KChiefs1
01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
What has Pioli done?

The guy can obviously eat because he is one fat Mofo.

ncCHIEFfan
01-13-2009, 04:03 PM

No one wins championships on their own and Belicheat is not a football god

TipRoast
01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Here's what Kraft and Belichick had to say about Pioli:

Said owner Robert Kraft: “Scott Pioli was an integral part of the many championships the New England Patriots have celebrated this decade and I would like to thank him for his countless contributions throughout the past nine seasons. Scott is a great evaluator of talent. He is thorough in his evaluations, extremely organized and has done a tremendous job mining all possible resources to help Coach Belichick and his staff field the players needed to win consistently. He has played an important role in building a championship tradition with players that I am proud to call Patriots. On behalf of the entire Patriots organization, I wish Scott continued success in his new role and offer best wishes to his wonderful wife Dallas, and their beautiful daughter Mia. I think Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Chiefs have made a very wise hire.”

Added Belichick: “To sum up in words everything Scott Pioli has meant to this organization and to me personally would be difficult, if not impossible. From the day I met him, he has demonstrated a passion for football and respect for the game that is second to none. It has been extremely gratifying for me to follow Scott’s career ascension from the bottom of the totem pole in Cleveland to his place as a pillar of championship teams in New England. Now with the opportunity to steer his own ship and a vision of building a winner, there is no more capable, hardworking, loyal, team-oriented person than Scott Pioli.

“On a personal level, the Belichick-Pioli bond runs far deeper than our workplace, as we and our families have shared countless memories away from football. Working side by side with one of my best friends for almost two decades is special enough in itself. But to help each other achieve success beyond our dreams is a blessing and something I will always remember and appreciate.”

B_Ambuehl
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Who in your opinion would have been a better and more qualified hire?

It's not that I think it was a bad hire. Pioli sounds good but you have to keep things in perspective. There may appear to be geniuses and saviors on a short term basis but few if any hires in the NFL are as good as advertised on a long term basis. The NFL stands for Not For Long. There aren't any guarantees. History across the NFL shows that sometime in the next 20 years, whether it's 2 years from now or 20, people in KC will want Pioli run out of town. Just like Belichik will eventually wear out his welcome in N.E. That's just the way the business works. Knowing that, my attitude is lets see what he can do. I don't look at him as a saviour just like I wouldn't look at anyone else as a saviour.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
It's not that I think it was a bad hire. Pioli sounds good but you have to keep things in perspective. There may appear to be geniuses and saviors on a short term basis but few if any hires in the NFL are as good as advertised on a long term basis. The NFL stands for Not For Long. There aren't any guarantees. History across the NFL shows that sometime in the next 20 years, whether it's 2 years from now or 20, people in KC will want Pioli run out of town. Just like Belichik will eventually wear out his welcome in N.E. That's just the way the business works. Knowing that, my attitude is lets see what he can do. I don't look at him as a saviour just like I wouldn't look at anyone else as a saviour.

Well since you are wrong 100% of the time, it's a good sign for Pioli.

the Talking Can
01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

we just hired him 5 minutes ago

is it ok to be happy for 5 minutes without "look-at-me-contrarian" douchbags pretending they're better than the rabble?

take your cheap, fake, "perspective" and go fuck yourself you loser

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Here's what Kraft and Belichick had to say about Pioli:

Said owner Robert Kraft: “Scott Pioli was an integral part of the many championships the New England Patriots have celebrated this decade and I would like to thank him for his countless contributions throughout the past nine seasons. Scott is a great evaluator of talent. He is thorough in his evaluations, extremely organized and has done a tremendous job mining all possible resources to help Coach Belichick and his staff field the players needed to win consistently. He has played an important role in building a championship tradition with players that I am proud to call Patriots. On behalf of the entire Patriots organization, I wish Scott continued success in his new role and offer best wishes to his wonderful wife Dallas, and their beautiful daughter Mia. I think Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Chiefs have made a very wise hire.”

Added Belichick: “To sum up in words everything Scott Pioli has meant to this organization and to me personally would be difficult, if not impossible. From the day I met him, he has demonstrated a passion for football and respect for the game that is second to none. It has been extremely gratifying for me to follow Scott’s career ascension from the bottom of the totem pole in Cleveland to his place as a pillar of championship teams in New England. Now with the opportunity to steer his own ship and a vision of building a winner, there is no more capable, hardworking, loyal, team-oriented person than Scott Pioli.

“On a personal level, the Belichick-Pioli bond runs far deeper than our workplace, as we and our families have shared countless memories away from football. Working side by side with one of my best friends for almost two decades is special enough in itself. But to help each other achieve success beyond our dreams is a blessing and something I will always remember and appreciate.”
I just teared up.

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 05:01 PM

is it ok to be happy for 5 minutes without "look-at-me-contrarian" douchbags pretending they're better than the rabble?

take your cheap, fake, "perspective" and go **** yourself you loser

:clap:

beach tribe
01-13-2009, 05:03 PM

My gosh. This is the most pathetic outlook I could fathom at a time like this.

We just hired the best possible candidate possible:

"So, we will all hate him one day. Just like the Pats will forget all of Belichic"s SBs , and want his ass gone"

I hope we have 3 SBs before we run Pioli ouit of town

rolstrol
01-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I just teared up.

yeah that

ncCHIEFfan
01-13-2009, 05:28 PM

take your cheap, fake, "perspective" and go **** yourself you loser

Preach it brother!

Mecca
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I hope people who think I'm a super negative douchebag had a realization because even I'm not this bad.

KCTitus
01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Aside from signing a contract, he hasnt done anything for the franchise yet...

I think his past record speaks for itself.

SNR
01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I hope people who think I'm a super negative douchebag had a realization because even I'm not this bad.You (usually) make good arguments for your stances, and when the Chiefs DO actually do something right, you acknowledge it. Ambuehl tosses feces like a monkey.

That's the difference.

kobebehar
01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
You (usually) make good arguments for your stances, and when the Chiefs DO actually do something right, you acknowledge it. Ambuehl tosses feces like a monkey.

That's the difference.

You two need a minute to suck each others dicks before we keep going?

B_Ambuehl
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Well since you are wrong 100% of the time, it's a good sign for Pioli.

What have I been wrong about?

Reerun_KC
01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
So what exactly has Pioli done?

I am guessing after this post, you are pretty ticked he did your mom?

LOCOChief
01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Yep guys. Ambuehl is the same tard who has posted gems like this:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145444

If people like him are skeptical of Pioli's skills as a general manager, that only further affirms Pioli's credibility.

Maybe, but he was almost dead on with those 06 predictions

Deberg_1990
01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Wallow In Misery much?

Count Zarth
01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Scott Pioli once impregnated six anonymous hollywood celebrities while riding a clydesdale barefoot and backwards, in the midst of a raging hurricane and a meteor shower. All the babies turned out perfectly and grew up to be genius engineers, supermodels or fortune 500 CEOS. Scott Pioli didn't even bother raising them because his genes gave them super will power and keen insight into what it takes to succeed. With all that spare time Scott Pioli went off to explore the universe and ate a few planets (that's why he's so fat) that were on a collision course with Earth. They wouldn't have hit for millions of years but Scott Pioli's just a nice guy that way. When Scott Pioli got back to Earth he took up football. By the way Scott Pioli kicked Chuck Norris' ass but he didn't tell anyone. Like I said, he's a super nice guy.

Amnorix
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
And a video camera

Had a perfect regular season?

Amnorix
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Give me Parcells as a head coach and LT and I'll go win 2 Super Bowls as a defensive coordinator as well

:shake: That's why the DEFENSIVE game plan for the SB against the Bills is in Canton?

Also, read some books on the Giants of that era and you'll learn that Bill ran the defense completely.

Amnorix
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
The reality is that BB and SP have had joint player recruitment responsibilities, and worked as a complete team.

You can't tell where one begins and the other ends on the player acquisition side of things. So everythign that they did bad they did together, and everything that they did well they did together.

On balance, there is a HELL of alot more good than bad. What else is there to know? If SP ran the whole operation in New England, then you wouldn't have had a chance to get him.

SNR
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe, but he was almost dead on with those 06 predictionsYou're missing the point.

Those aren't predictions. That's a smattering of diarrhea on a computer screen. It takes no thought whatsoever to make a post like that. All he did was make a list of the possible bad shit scenarios that might happen to the team.

What, you mean like if our starting QB goes down and we lose the best LT in the game to injury? Or if our defense still hasn't been fixed and is bad? ANY team with a bad defense, no QB, and a backup LT is going to suck.

He didn't say anything. At all.

Buzzsaw
01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
It's possible for both Pioli to be a great GM, AND for Belichick to be a great coach. You'll drive yourselves nuts trying to figure out which one is more responsible for New England's success.

And really, if Pioli has done nothing other than identify and draft Tom Brady, well, that could be one of the best moves an NFL General Manager has ever made. There's no downside, nothing negative whatsoever, about hiring Pioli. Dumb thread. JMO.

Count Zarth
01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Pioli actually sired Tom Brady. You know, like Palpatine and Anakin?

B_Ambuehl
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Uh Oh. Things aren't looking good for either McDaniels or Pioli.

McDaniels has given us the funniest and most entertaining offseason ever.

The moves occuring at 1 arrowhead drive don't exactly promote the idea of a stable and successful organization either.

B_Ambuehl
09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Lolz. This shit gets better every week.

Anyone watch #91 from the Pats? Watch him play, watch our d-lineman play, and compare where they were drafted. That should effectively destroy any and all doubts of who was in charge in NE.

Tiger's Fan
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Lolz. This shit gets better every week.

Anyone watch #91 from the Pats? Watch him play, watch our d-lineman play, and compare where they were drafted. That should effectively destroy any and all doubts of who was in charge in NE.

All this time hasn't made the Chiefs any better, or you any smarter. Congrats!

Amnorix
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
See my avatar.

Christofire
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I have no problem with skepticism of Pioli, but I'm a little wary of the "he hasn't won anything without Belichick" argument. By that argument, Belichick as a head coach hasn't won anything without Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.

The Pats had the perfect team and coaching chemistry in their title years, and through player acquisition and coaching evolution, let's hope Pioli and Haley find it for KC.

KCChiefsFan88
09-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Pioli shit-canning Herm will always earn him a special place in my heart

DaWolf
09-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Pioli also went 5-11 year 1 in New England, where they inherited an 8-8 team. So to assume his style is to make things worse before they get better would be accurate, but we'd also be wise to give him more than 3 regular season games before passing judgment...

B_Ambuehl
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I have no problem with skepticism of Pioli, but I'm a little wary of the "he hasn't won anything without Belichick" argument. By that argument, Belichick as a head coach hasn't won anything without Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.

It doesn't have anything to do with coaching. The idea is according to the media and many here Pioli was largely responsible for Belichik's success as talent evaluator and decision maker and not the other way around. My skepticism of that was the reason for the OP.* By now I think it's become fairly clear that Pioli has been more hype than substance. I think a fair question at this point is whether he's even done a single thing right since he's been here.

* For evidence look at the drafts - Pioli drafted a DE/DT #3 overall that isn't even as good as Belichiks 6th rnd draft choice.

JD10367
09-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Pioli also went 5-11 year 1 in New England, where they inherited an 8-8 team. So to assume his style is to make things worse before they get better would be accurate, but we'd also be wise to give him more than 3 regular season games before passing judgment...

Not only that, but the Pats were in rebuilding mode. The plan went perfect, as it took a few years to build a solid team, and they won the '03 and '04 SBs. But the '01 SB? Really, that was kind of a fluke that the team made that run. The Pats' plan was probably to milk another season or two out of Bledsoe, and find another QB through the draft or trade, and maybe see what the Brady kid could do. Mo Lewis escalated that plan. If Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt, that team maybe flounders half a season before Belichick pulls the plug on Bledsoe and puts Brady in, and maybe they don't make the playoffs. Point being, I wouldn't even expect great things from the Chiefs next season, or even 2011. It takes time to build a solid team--and I don't just mean on the field. Shit, any team can get lucky enough to get to the SB. Look at the '02 Raiders and Bucs. How'd that work out in the long run? There are very few stable organizations: the Pats are one, Pitt is another, the Colts as well. You want to build a juggernaut, not a flash-in-the-pan.

Granted, after the seasons of suffering, you probably wouldn't mind a flash-in-the-pan out there. And Pioli probably could've kept Gonzalez, and made a few other moves to make the Chiefs very viable in '09--you know, sign a proven veteran QB, pay top-dollar for a pricey FA, etc.,. And maybe the Chiefs are a solid 8-8, 9-7, maybe even make a wildcard spot. Win a SB this year? Probably not. But the season sure would've made him look good, no? But instead Pioli and Haley seem to be choosing to build a solid foundation, clean out the closets, start from the ground up, to try to build a winning organization that will last a decade, not a season.

htismaqe
09-28-2009, 12:51 PM
The idea is according to the media and many here Pioli was largely responsible for Belichik's success as talent evaluator and decision maker and not the other way around.

That's absolutely, unequivocally false.

Both men contributed to the other's success, and that's all that anyone here has ever said. There have been a vocal few who have said it was ALL Belichik, but there hasn't been a SINGLE person that have said Pioli was responsible for BB's success.

Brock
09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
That 6th round pick is a nice pickup, but to act like he's a better player than Tyson Jackson seems pretty silly to me.

B_Ambuehl
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Except when you start from the ground up you need to make the right personnel decisions otherwise you set your franchise back even further (see Millen, Matt). I think it's fair to say that thus far Pioli's personnel, contract, and coaching decisions (compared to the alternatives) are mediocre if that.

That 6th round pick is a nice pickup, but to act like he's a better player than Tyson Jackson seems pretty silly to me.

Watch the tape. He's at least TJ's equal from a quickness standpoint and is bigger and more versatile. Can play all 3 positions in a 3-4. Hell, even Alex McGee isn't all that far behind TJ and is better on 3rd down.

JD10367
09-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I think it's fair to say that thus far Pioli's personnel, contract, and coaching decisions (compared to the alternatives) are mediocre if that.

I think it's fair to say that unless you have a glorious NFL resume as a coach, GM, or owner, then your opinion is worth jack shit. Pioli spent almost a decade partnered with one of the best coaches in NFL history. On top of that, his father-in-law is ALSO one of the best coaches in NFL history. I'm pretty sure Pioli has a good football mind. Bob Kraft thought so, too.

But I'm sure Pioli is worried that online fans think he's mediocre after three games into a serious rebuilding of an entire franchise. It probably keeps him up at night.

Christofire
09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with coaching. The idea is according to the media and many here Pioli was largely responsible for Belichik's success as talent evaluator and decision maker and not the other way around.

I understand that your argument is "Pioli's early moves don't seem brilliant, so I'm skeptical," which is perfectly logical. I don't have an issue with that, though I think it's premature to say he's going to crash and burn.

The only reason I brought up the comparison to the coaching situation was to illustrate the weakness of the "What has he done without Belichick?" argument.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
On top of that, his father-in-law is ALSO one of the best coaches in NFL history.

There is no bigger fraud in NFL history than Bill Parcells.

That fucking jabroni is canonized by the media, when all the bitch titted fuck has ever done without Belichick is run his fucking mouth.

He has 0 playoff wins w/o Belichick as his D coordinator. Fucking 0. Dallas, NYJ, Miami...fucking 0.

B_Ambuehl
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I think it's fair to say that unless you have a glorious NFL resume as a coach, GM, or owner, then your opinion is worth jack shit. Pioli spent almost a decade partnered with one of the best coaches in NFL history. On top of that, his father-in-law is ALSO one of the best coaches in NFL history. I'm pretty sure Pioli has a good football mind. Bob Kraft thought so, too.

The great thing about football is the passage of time virtually proves all decisions one way or the other.

I suppose thus far you think:

A: Passing on Sanchez was a good idea? (That ones not looking good so far)

B: Drafting a 5 technique #3 was a good idea? (Neither is that one)

C: Leaving your right tackle position in the hands of practice squad fodder was a good idea? (That surely isn't looking good)

D: Giving a backup QB a $60 million extension when you had an entire year to evaluate him was a good idea? (Nope)

E: Forcing an offensive coordinator on your head coach even though you knew their philosophies differed was a good idea? (Definitely not)

F: Hiring the statistically worst defensive coordinator in the NFL over the past 3 years to run your defense was a good idea? (We'll see, but it ain't looking good so far)

G: Forcing a defensive scheme that none of your existing talent had played in was a good idea? (Perhaps)

H: Taking over the worst pass rushing team in NFL history and not bringing in a single pass rusher was a good idea? (I suppose Hali has proved himself a viable threat, hasn't he?)

Those are just off the top of my head.

Some may pan out. But I think it's fair to say there are enough major question marks that skepticism need not be defended.

JD10367
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I suppose thus far you think . . . blah blah blah

I never said Pioli was infallible. I said he's got a good track record in the NFL and deserves some time and leeway to clean house and try building a team his way. And for him to be questioned after three games by armchair quarterbacks on the Interwebz is frigging retarded.

It's one thing for people on a message board to argue that their opinion is more valid than someone else's. But to think your opinion is more valid than Pioli's? Remind me again, which NFL team have you worked for?

You need more than three games before breaking out the tar and feathers. Rome wasn't built in a day... and Rome wasn't as f**ked up as the Chiefs were when Pioli came aboard.

googlegoogle
09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Nothing works without an Oline in football.

Our rushing defense is respectable now.

B_Ambuehl
09-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I never said Pioli was infallible. I said he's got a good track record in the NFL and deserves some time and leeway to clean house and try building a team his way. And for him to be questioned after three games by armchair quarterbacks on the Interwebz is frigging retarded.

It's one thing for people on a message board to argue that their opinion is more valid than someone else's. But to think your opinion is more valid than Pioli's? Remind me again, which NFL team have you worked for?

So all the people that questioned and question Matt Millen, Carl, Al Davis et. al. were and are absolutely wrong to do so?

Like I said before, all decisions are proven 1 way or the other and plenty of people make plenty of very obvious mistakes despite their resumes' and it doesn't take some type of special talent to recognize them.

Nobody bats 100% or should be expected to, but they shouldn't be averse to questioning when the batting avg. is closer to 0% either.

Skip Towne
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
He locked down Arrowhead so other teams can't steal our valuable secrets.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
The great thing about football is the passage of time virtually proves all decisions one way or the other.

I suppose thus far you think:

A: Passing on Sanchez was a good idea? (That ones not looking good so far)

B: Drafting a 5 technique #3 was a good idea? (Neither is that one)

C: Leaving your right tackle position in the hands of practice squad fodder was a good idea? (That surely isn't looking good)

D: Giving a backup QB a $60 million extension when you had an entire year to evaluate him was a good idea? (Nope)

E: Forcing an offensive coordinator on your head coach even though you knew their philosophies differed was a good idea? (Definitely not)

F: Hiring the statistically worst defensive coordinator in the NFL over the past 3 years to run your defense was a good idea? (We'll see, but it ain't looking good so far)

G: Forcing a defensive scheme that none of your existing talent had played in was a good idea? (Perhaps)

H: Taking over the worst pass rushing team in NFL history and not bringing in a single pass rusher was a good idea? (I suppose Hali has proved himself a viable threat, hasn't he?)

Those are just off the top of my head.

Some may pan out. But I think it's fair to say there are enough major question marks that skepticism need not be defended.

Evidently it's not fair to look at what he's actually done here.

We're only allowed to look at those Super Bowl rings and kiss them if possible.

I said it then, I'll say it now: The Steelers are the organization we should've attempted to emulate. Gimme Doug Whaley or Ron Hughes; guys that have won with different coaches and different QBs.

Don Pioli has been beyond underwhelming thus far.

DeezNutz
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM

There's one problem, however. He's not being evaluated after three games; he's being evaluated after, approximately, 9 months.

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Evidently it's not fair to look at what he's actually done here.

We're only allowed to look at those Super Bowl rings and kiss them if possible.

I said it then, I'll say it now: The Steelers are the organization we should've attempted to emulate. Gimme Doug Whaley or Ron Hughes; guys that have won with different coaches and different QBs.

Don Pioli has been beyond underwhelming thus far.

I say Baltimore is the better organization at knowing talent, they just never had the QB play or the coach like Pittsburgh did earlier when they didnt have Big Ben.

kysirsoze
09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
There's one problem, however. He's not being evaluated after three games; he's being evaluated after, approximately, 9 months.

That's fair. I think Pioli can handle the criticism. He'd just better deliver in the long run or his "legacy" with the Pats will be irreparably diminished.

DeezNutz
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
That's fair. I think Pioli can handle the criticism. He'd just better deliver in the long run or his "legacy" with the Pats will be irreparably diminished.

Absolutely.

If he sucks in KC, history will say that the NE dynasty was 100% Hoodie, which doesn't seem too far off when you consider the Parcell's factor.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I say Baltimore is the better organization at knowing talent, they just never had the QB play or the coach like Pittsburgh did earlier when they didnt have Big Ben.

I give Savage most of the credit for Baltimore, though he didn't have a hand in Flacco. That's why Savage was on my list of guys I really liked along with Polian and Whaley.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5340039&postcount=9

I just don't understand this rush to follow the Patriot model when it's pretty damn clear that the Patriot model requires Bill Belichick and we don't exactly have one of those on hand.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Absolutely.

If he sucks in KC, history will say that the NE dynasty was 100% Hoodie, which doesn't seem too far off when you consider the Parcell's factor.

And Weiss. And Crennel. And Mangini. And possibly McDaniels (though I'd rather have him than Psycho T).

CaliforniaChief
09-28-2009, 02:10 PM
At least in the short term, I'm convinced he erred in evaluating the quality of our offensive line. There's no other plausible explanation for this. There was no evidence to suggest that any of our current linemen (including the ones released) could adequately protect the QB and open any kind of lanes for the RB. Now we don't know what efforts he's made since then to acquire other people, but it's hard to believe with the cap room, money, and waiver position we have that we couldn't have done better.

Other than that, I'm pleased with his work. He fired Herm Edwards. He upgraded the QB position with a guy that has shown me a decent improvisational ability and good accuracy when not throwing under constant assault. He hired a guy that I think will be a very good head coach in the league, and is confronting years of raw sewage for talent.

Obviously the jury's still out...but man it's been 3 games.

ChiefsCountry
09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I just don't understand this rush to follow the Patriot model when it's pretty damn clear that the Patriot model requires Bill Belichick and we don't exactly have one of those on hand.

And Tom Brady.

HC_Chief
09-28-2009, 02:15 PM
And Tom Brady.

This.

Tom effing Brady is the reason the "Patriot Model" works/worked.

kcfanXIII
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
if the chiefs were a house, they'd be old, run down, fixed with cheap fixes like duct tape, and super glue. the quality ac unit was really too much for such a beat up old house with so many places for a draft to come through, so you sell it on craigslist for whatever you can get. even if you take payments on it. when you get the house, the first thing to do, is gut the house and start rebuilding it. maybe take the plastic off the windows, and board them up to keep the weather out, until you can get those triple pain energy efficient jobbies. point is, it takes a while to clean out the crap the previous owners did to get by. i'm willing to give both the coach and gm 3 years, rather than just 3 games.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Other than that, I'm pleased with his work. He fired Herm Edwards. He upgraded the QB position with a guy that has shown me a decent improvisational ability and good accuracy when not throwing under constant assault. He hired a guy that I think will be a very good head coach in the league, and is confronting years of raw sewage for talent.

Obviously the jury's still out...but man it's been 3 games.

That's where we have to disagree.

I don't believe for a minute that Haley will be a good coach, ever. People keep comparing him to Parcells but did you ever see Parcells go nuts like that? Can you ever imagine Parcells pulling these BS High School football tricks? Parcells treated his players like men and demanded they hold themselves to that standard. Haley treats his players like children and he will lose them, if he hasn't already. Sure, it's only been 3 games, but we've seen what Haley is. That kind of personality isn't going to be able to change. It'll be phoney and players will see right through it.

In any event, I don't think you can have an 'explosive' head coach with an offensive background anyway. Offense is cerebral and he tries to coach from emotion. That emotion won't carry as well when it's coming from an offensively oriented HC. A defensive HC can get away with it (though not to the level of batshit crazy that Haley is taking it); an offensive one can't. I think Haley is doomed to failure, in all honesty. Blah blah, give him a chance, blah...but I don't see what more time will do here. He is who he is, he is who he's always been. I have no idea why we think time will change him.

Beyond the coaching hire, Pioli used a 2nd rounder on a QB that has the ceiling of Kyle Orton. I really see very little distinction between the two. Both of those guys can throw a fairly accurate ball when not under pressure. Both of those guys can operate an offense if things are going well. I've yet to see anything from Cassel to suggest he can carry a team. You don't turn your franchise over to a game manager without trying to get an elite QB first.

We had the chance to at least roll the dice with Sanchez and instead we took a MFing 3-4 DE with the #3 overall pick. That will never EVER be defensible and that sits directly on Pioli. Even if you don't think we should've taken Sanchez, the NFL is a playmakers league and a 5 technique will never be a position you build a club around. Yet we took one at #3 and paid him franchise player money. That's like drafting a TE at #3 and giving him QB pay. It was just astronomically stupid.

Sorry, but outside of firing Herm, he's !@#$ed up every decision he's made as the GM of the KC Chiefs and firing Herm didn't exactly take Football Jesus.

Brock
09-28-2009, 02:30 PM
People keep comparing him to Parcells but did you ever see Parcells go nuts like that? Can you ever imagine Parcells pulling these BS High School football tricks? Parcells treated his players like men and demanded they hold themselves to that standard.

Yeah, check out Parcells first year for the Giants. He benched Phil Simms and went 3-12. They were thinking about replacing him with Howard Schnellenberger.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah, check out Parcells first year for the Giants. He benched Phil Simms and went 3-12. They were thinking about replacing him with Howard Schnellenberger.

I mean in terms of his outward handling of players.

I was young, maybe I just missed it. But I can never remember Parcells being this over the top in my more formative years. He had particular players he'd lay into (I think he called Galloway "she" didn't he?), but he'd never spend entire weeks laying into anyone and everyone that came near him.

I've never been more disgusted to be a Chiefs fan than I was when I saw his conduct on the sidelines during the Oakland game. Even after the Elliot game and the 0 punts game or any of the other times we just came up short, I was disappointed but never ashamed.

I was embarassed 2 Sundays ago.

Chiefnj2
09-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Beyond the coaching hire, Pioli used a 2nd rounder on a QB that has the ceiling of Kyle Orton. I really see very little distinction between the two. Both of those guys can throw a fairly accurate ball when not under pressure. Both of those guys can operate an offense if things are going well. I've yet to see anything from Cassel to suggest he can carry a team. You don't turn your franchise over to a game manager without trying to get an elite QB first.

To be fair, McDaniels thought the world of Cassel as well.

easymobee
09-28-2009, 02:55 PM

Don't lump McDaniels with your POS.

Denver is 3-0

easymobee
09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I mean in terms of his outward handling of players.

I was young, maybe I just missed it. But I can never remember Parcells being this over the top in my more formative years. He had particular players he'd lay into (I think he called Galloway "she" didn't he?), but he'd never spend entire weeks laying into anyone and everyone that came near him.

I've never been more disgusted to be a Chiefs fan than I was when I saw his conduct on the sidelines during the Oakland game. Even after the Elliot game and the 0 punts game or any of the other times we just came up short, I was disappointed but never ashamed.

I was embarassed 2 Sundays ago.

Terry Glenn.

When Parcellls was coach of the Patsies.

DJ's left nut
09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
To be fair, McDaniels thought the world of Cassel as well.

That's a good thing?

Remember, McDaniels evidently insisted on Orton being included in the Cutler talks.

So the guy that coached the QBs in NE seems to see many of the same things in Orton he saw in Cassel or at least has an affinity for both QBs.

I'd say all that really suggests is that McDaniels also saw a whole lot of Cassel in Orton (and Orton could've been had for peanuts).

Rooster
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
That's a good thing?

Remember, McDaniels evidently insisted on Orton being included in the Cutler talks.

So the guy that coached the QBs in NE seems to see many of the same things in Orton he saw in Cassel or at least has an affinity for both QBs.

I'd say all that really suggests is that McDaniels also saw a whole lot of Cassel in Orton (and Orton could've been had for peanuts).

That's one way to look at it I suppose.:spock:

orange
09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Watch the tape. He's at least TJ's equal from a quickness standpoint and is bigger and more versatile. Can play all 3 positions in a 3-4. Hell, even Alex McGee isn't all that far behind TJ and is better on 3rd down.

The Pats love him so much they signed Terdell Sands.

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
10-25-2012, 10:33 PM

LMAO

Is had to bump this and laugh at myself.

notorious
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM

LMAO

Is had to bump this and laugh at myself.

Don't make me bump my shitty "Carl Peterson: Part Deux" thread. :D

Bump
10-25-2012, 10:52 PM
I wonder if I said anything, someone look through the thread and see

notorious
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM

I didn't see you in there anywhere, but it is full of hilarious (yet sad) comments. Definately worth the 5 minutes to skim through.

BigMeatballDave
10-25-2012, 11:00 PM

Yes.

Something about wanting to pleasure Pioli...