PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Who Will Pioli Tab As Chiefs' Head Coach?

RINGLEADER
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
The coronation of Scott Pioli as the Kansas City Chiefs’ new general manager is expected to have a ripple effect on the current coaching staff as Pioli will likely part ways with coach Herm Edwards and hire a new coach, according to NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

As per Schefter, Pioli’s short list will probably include Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, a good friend he used to work with in Cleveland years ago, New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

Schwartz and Pioli both used to work for the Baltimore Ravens, and Schwartz could reportedly emerge as a strong candidate for the Chiefs. Especially if Ferentz resists the lure to return to the NFL.

Schefter also notes that if New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels hadn’t become the Denver Broncos’ new head coach he would probably have been Pioli’s No. 1 pick to coach the Chiefs.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/13/who-will-pioli-tab-as-chiefs-head-coach/

I really hope that Ferentz isn't the guy. It reminds me too much of the time when Bulls GM Jerry Krause selected good friend Tim Floyd as head coach. Ugh.

kstater
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Well this is chock full of new and exciting information. How did you ever aquire such information?

The Bad Guy
01-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Schwartz or Spags would be fine with me.

I'd love, love to have Jeremy Bates as OC.

Rausch
01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/images/smilies/repost.jpg

dirk digler
01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
DON’T COUNT ON SCHWARTZ-PIOLI PAIRING (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/13/dont-count-on-schwartz-pioli-pairing/)

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2009, 8:43 p.m.

In response to a suggestion in some circles that new Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli might pursue Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz to become the new head coach of the team, a league source tells us that it will not be happening.

Per the source, Pioli and Schwartz “despise each other.”

Though Schwartz looks to be the favorite for the Lions job, his camp could be floating the possibility of Kansas City hiring Schwartz in order to squeeze Detroit into hiring him prematurely and/or giving him a better deal.

That said, it’s our understanding that the Chiefs are not and will not be an option for him.

smittysbar
01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
repost...

kstater
01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
DONíT COUNT ON SCHWARTZ-PIOLI PAIRING (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/13/dont-count-on-schwartz-pioli-pairing/)

In response to a suggestion in some circles that new Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli might pursue Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz to become the new head coach of the team, a league source tells us that it will not be happening.

Per the source, Pioli and Schwartz ďdespise each other.Ē

Though Schwartz looks to be the favorite for the Lions job, his camp could be floating the possibility of Kansas City hiring Schwartz in order to squeeze Detroit into hiring him prematurely and/or giving him a better deal.

That said, itís our understanding that the Chiefs are not and will not be an option for him.

Thanks for the info.

Zouk
01-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I'd be really surprised if it isn't Kirk Ferentz. I think he's a very good choice.

Tribal Warfare
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I'd be really surprised if it isn't Kirk Ferentz. I think he's a very good choice.

It has been reported multiple times Ferentz isn't leaving Iowa

Zouk
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
It has been reported multiple times Ferentz isn't leaving Iowa

That's what happens with every college coach until the day they sign.

chiefscafan
01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
the frentz not leaving was before pioli was hired anywhere now he is the new leader of this kc franchise he may be able to talk to him bout coming.

Is Frentz a good coach anyone know?

Deberg_1990
01-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Romeo Crennel

chiefscafan
01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
crenel could de d coordinator

Mecca
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Romeo Crennel

Don't make me slap you.

KChiefs1
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
DONíT COUNT ON SCHWARTZ-PIOLI PAIRING (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/13/dont-count-on-schwartz-pioli-pairing/)

Per the source, Pioli and Schwartz ďdespise each other.Ē

That said, itís our understanding that the Chiefs are not and will not be an option for him.

I need confirmation of this before I believe it.

Zouk
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Here's a wild card for the new head coach:

Paul Pasqualoni - DC of the Dolphins

He was part of the Syracuse staff that gave Pioli his first break in coaching at Syracuse in 1989. 3 members of that Syracuse staff (Ivan Fears, Mike Woicik, Joel Collier) later worked for the Pats with Pioli. Pasqualoni is a favorite of Pioli's father in law Bill Parcells.

This is unlikely - bit it fits. I'd still bet on Ferentz.

Mecca
01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Pasqualoni was a horrendous head coach at Syracuse...

FringeNC
01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
So all the talk about Spags being a done deal when I was on here a few hours earlier was a rumor?

Zouk
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Pasqualoni was a horrendous head coach at Syracuse...

That's idiotic. He coached almost 20 years there and had 1 losing season and multiple New Years Day bowls (back when that meant a lot).

How've they done since then?

That school went downhill because of recruiting (most importantly the rise of Rutgers and UConn) not because Paul Pasqualoni doesn't know how to coach football.

MahiMike
01-13-2009, 07:41 PM
ESPN said likely it's Spagnuolo. And good thing is, the Giants are done!

Mecca
01-13-2009, 07:42 PM
That's idiotic. He coached almost 20 years there and had 1 losing season and multiple New Years Day bowls (back when that meant a lot).

That school went downhill because of recruiting (most importantly the rise of Rutgers and UConn) not because Paul Pasqualoni doesn't know how to coach football.

When you get fired because players don't want to play for you that makes you a bad coach in the college game...atleast 90% if college coaching is recruiting.

Chiefnj2
01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd be happy with Spagnuolo, Frazier, Grimm or Ryan. Probably prefer Ryan the most since I want to go to a 3-4.

eazyb81
01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Don't we already have a few threads on this exact subject?

FringeNC
01-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I was floored by this comment over Bob Gretz's site. Thought I'd share:

January 13, 2009 - Rin Tin Tin says:
If Pioliís smart heíll do the right thing, and keep Herm - if heís not so bright, heíll go in another direction - and take KC down with him.

Either way, any success 2009 Chiefs will be due to Herm and his players he drafted, and coached through the rough spots of their 1st season the first the rebuild KC.

Me thinks it will be a looonnnnnnnnnnnnnng season if Scottie with the light bro- er, hardly no hair at all - decides to wipe everything clean.
Rin will remain a KC Chiefs fans as he has since 1963 but am prepared for the expansion team 2009 Chiefs if Pioli makes the wrong decision, hiring a new coach.

As Rin said & has been proven Herm Edwards will be the Chiefs Head Coach in 2009 - as it is now January 13, he already has been!

chiefscafan
01-13-2009, 08:13 PM
bob gretz loyal to the end to carl can we fire him too LOL

jAZ
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM

I'm not one to run Herm out this year, but even from me that's about a stupid a post as you could possibly make... in so many ways.

Jeezus.

KC kid
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I hope Bob Gretz gets canned so much. what a tool

FringeNC
01-13-2009, 08:21 PM

To be fair to Gretz, he didn't make the comment. Evidently, he's got a lot of brain dead readers over there. They'd just get massacred over here.

jspchief
01-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Ferentz has said from day 1 that he's staying in Iowa City until all his kids graduate. That means to more years as Hawkeyes coach. He was a much hotter NFL HC candidate 3 or 4 years ago and stuck with Iowa, so I don't expect him to change his mind now. And the program is in good shape so timing wise he has no reason to want out of Iowa.

Is he a good coach? Yes. He's a "games are won in the trenches" type of guy and his teams are usually well coached in all 3 phases of the game. he doesn't win using gimmicks, he just puts out smashmouth teams every year. He's made Iowa a very solid program, without the blue chippers that other successful Big 10 teams rely on.

All that being said, I don't want the Chiefs to be the next team to do the "college to pros" experiment. I wouldn't be pissed if he was the hire, but there are NFL coordinators I'd prefer over him.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Truthfully, anyone you endorse is a huge red flag for me.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I love the absolute retards that feel that we shouldn't break continuity and just keep Herm.

Have you stupid fuckers watched any NFL games?

How can you have continuity on a 2-14 team?

It's like saying you don't want to tear down the shed that had the roof blown off because it's sentimental.

Davechief
01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Ferentz has said from day 1 that he's staying in Iowa City until all his kids graduate. That means to more years as Hawkeyes coach. He was a much hotter NFL HC candidate 3 or 4 years ago and stuck with Iowa, so I don't expect him to change his mind now. And the program is in good shape so timing wise he has no reason to want out of Iowa.

Is he a good coach? Yes. He's a "games are won in the trenches" type of guy and his teams are usually well coached in all 3 phases of the game. he doesn't win using gimmicks, he just puts out smashmouth teams every year. He's made Iowa a very solid program, without the blue chippers that other successful Big 10 teams rely on.

All that being said, I don't want the Chiefs to be the next team to do the "college to pros" experiment. I wouldn't be pissed if he was the hire, but there are NFL coordinators I'd prefer over him.

Agree 100% on this one. I work in Iowa City and Ferentz is well liked and respected by everyone. I believe he's very well compensated, and there is no real glaring reason for him to take a job in the NFL. His name pops up every year for cocaching vacancies around the league, and nothing ever occurs. I just don't see it happening.

kcfanintitanhell
01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I've posted before, Ferentz is staying at Iowa. He's a popular coach in a a veritable bubble, which is a good thing, if you're in Iowa. He makes probably more money than Clark would be able to offer him, and has to work 30 hours a week less in Iowa City than Kansas City.
Plus, the Hawkeyes are loaded talent-wise for the next two years.
The only way he would take that job is if he was a complete overachiever, not to mention that Pioli would probably fire him after two years of underachieving.
Why would he take that gig?

alanm
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
When you get fired because players don't want to play for you that makes you a bad coach in the college game...atleast 90% if college coaching is recruiting.Don't tell Tom Osborne that. I don't recall him ever having a top 20 class. :shake:

boogblaster
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Anyone beats the shit out of what we have how ... sorry Herm you just can't get it done ...

smittysbar
01-13-2009, 08:53 PM

Not me, Rin Tin Tin is the dumbest mother fucker on the earth. He says shit like this everytime. He gets bombed over there a lot.

Tribal Warfare
01-14-2009, 12:06 AM

Rin Tin Tin a true savant

kysirsoze
01-14-2009, 12:26 AM

This. And not because of the comments on his site.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Mortensen on Mike and Mike claimed that Ferentz is the #1 choice of Pioli and the Chiefs, but that Ferentz may not be willing to leave Iowa.

RippedmyFlesh
01-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Here's a wild card for the new head coach:

Paul Pasqualoni - DC of the Dolphins

He was part of the Syracuse staff that gave Pioli his first break in coaching at Syracuse in 1989. 3 members of that Syracuse staff (Ivan Fears, Mike Woicik, Joel Collier) later worked for the Pats with Pioli. Pasqualoni is a favorite of Pioli's father in law Bill Parcells.

This is unlikely - bit it fits. I'd still bet on Ferentz.
As a syracuse fan I can tell you he would be a great choice.
His defenses were very marty like...On o he developed mcnabb,,,harrison and one of the best players on that team rob konrad
He used rob konrad better than any nfl coach ever did.
When konrad played for coach p he was alstott with better pass receiving skills when he went to the nfl he became obscure.