PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs If Pioli wants to run a 3-4....

RedThat
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
all I gotta say is Terrell Suggs!!!

LiL stumppy
01-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Might as well get rid of Dorsey then. He will never make it as a NT in a 34

Direckshun
01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Some say Dorsey could fit as a DE in a 3-4.

Not me, but some. Turk would actually do well in that transition.

Tank would be toast, too.

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 10:49 PM
RedBull thinks Dorsey is a bust.

Zouk
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm in the minority on this - I think Dorsey could be a very good 3-4 nose tackle. People have this image of him as a Sapp-like penetrator but in really that's not what he is. He only had 13 sacks and 7 pressures in 51 college games. But with his squat and strong base he can occupy blockers and hold the point of attack.

morphius
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm in the minority on this - I think Dorsey could be a very good 3-4 nose tackle. People have this image of him as a Sapp-like penetrator but in really that's not what he is. He only had 13 sacks and 7 pressures in 51 college games. But with his squat and strong base he can occupy blockers and hold the point of attack.
I don't think he has the size.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Some say Dorsey could fit as a DE in a 3-4.

Not me, but some. Turk would actually do well in that transition.

Tank would be toast, too.

I think Tank would fare well as a 3-4 DE, actually.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2009, 11:00 PM

They have that image of him because he doesn't have outstanding lower body strength. He would not fit well as a nose tackle. They'd have to ask him to go way out of his element. Might need to have him add 20+ lbs as well.

Zouk
01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't think he has the size.

I think his body type is similar to a Casey Hampton. 6-1 and 310ish. Not all 3-4 nose tackles need to be Ted Washington. Check out Kelly Gregg of the Ravens (injured this year). Plus I remember the nose tackles Belichick used in NY when he was with Parcells. They weren't huge.

googlegoogle
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Pioli might keep Herm. Nick Athan on Metro said that Hunt and Herm agreed on a rebuilding project and that he might have insisted to keep Herm for one more season.

But the new coach will install the D and not Pioli is what i am guessing.

Amnorix
01-13-2009, 11:10 PM
I think his body type is similar to a Casey Hampton. 6-1 and 310ish. Not all 3-4 nose tackles need to be Ted Washington. Check out Kelly Gregg of the Ravens (injured this year). Plus I remember the nose tackles Belichick used in NY when he was with Parcells. They weren't huge.

You're right, but Hampton is the exception, nto the rule. You're generally looking at needing someone with massive lower body strength (read, an immense ass) to get the job done.

Of course, good 3-4 NGs are tough to find in general...

smittysbar
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Pioli might keep Herm. Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan on Metro said that Hunt and Herm agreed on a rebuilding project and that he might have insisted to keep Herm for one more season.

Nick is hitting the crack pipe

aturnis
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I think both Dorsey and McBride could make the transition.

LiL stumppy
01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Dorsey is too small. McBride would have a better chance.

Craqhead
01-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Pioli might keep Herm. Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan on Metro said that Hunt and Herm agreed on a rebuilding project and that he might have insisted to keep Herm for one more season.

I agree. I would think the head coach and his DC would decide aswell.

dj56dt58
01-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I agree. I would think the head coach and his DC would decide aswell.

true, but he is used to finding talent for a 3-4 D so he might lean towards a 3-4 coach

sportsman1
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't like the idea of having to field 4 healthy linebackers.

milkman
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Scott Pioli wouldn't take a job that ties him to an ass clown like Herman ****ing Edwards.

EyePod
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
He's not fat enough/tall enough to be a 3-4 NT. But I'm fine with running a hybrid, and after he dominates for a few years, trade him off. I'm sure we'll run the 4-3 mostly, because those are the types of players we have.

EyePod
01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh, and Pioli is known for using players where they should be used, not trying to fit square pegs into round holes **COUGH COUGH HERM COUGH COUGH**, so why would we switch to the 3-4 right away?

eazyb81
01-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I question the football knowledge of someone that thinks Dorsey could fit in as a 3-4 NT. Go compare Dorsey to dominant 3-4 NTs like Wilfork, Hampton, and Ngata, and then hopefully you'll see why he wouldn't fit there.

However, Dorsey could fit in as a 3-4 DE. I'm not sure how effective he'd be, but he could probably be passable out there.

If we utilize the 3-4 next year, I hope we don't go 100% to a 3-4, and instead just add the versatility of going back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4. We still need a legit NT, which is the toughest position in the scheme to fill, and some 3-4 edge rushers.

kcchiefsus
01-15-2009, 11:29 PM

That has already been discussed extensively back when he was drafted. Dorsey was almost never allowed to shoot the gap and rush the passer in college. When he was drafted Gunther Cunningham said that he almost always two-gapped and simply took up blockers. So his sack numbers in college are misleading.

Dorsey is not the nose tackle type, end of story.

beach tribe
01-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I question the football knowledge of someone that thinks Dorsey could fit in as a 3-4 NT. Go compare Dorsey to dominant 3-4 NTs like Wilfork, Hampton, and Ngata, and then hopefully you'll see why he wouldn't fit there.

However, Dorsey could fit in as a 3-4 DE. I'm not sure how effective he'd be, but he could probably be passable out there.

If we utilize the 3-4 next year, I hope we don't go 100% to a 3-4, and instead just add the versatility of going back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4. We still need a legit NT, which is the toughest position in the scheme to fill, and some 3-4 edge rushers.

I actually think Dorsey would be agood 3-4 DE.

Turk, Haynesworth, Dorsey

Tamba, DJ, Scott, Suggs

I know, I know..I'm dreaming.

I wonder how much weight Tank could put on. He is definitely strong enough to ply nose. What does he weigh right now. 320? 330. If he weighs 330, we should give him a try. Maybe run a little bit ogf 3-4 this season to see how these guys would do in it.

Skip Towne
01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Nick is hitting the crack pipe

No, Nick's like that all the time.

Reerun_KC
01-16-2009, 12:26 AM
What makes people think that Herm will allow some other defense here besides his precious Tampa 2...

Reerun_KC
01-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh, and Pioli is known for using players where they should be used, not trying to fit square pegs into round holes **COUGH COUGH HERM COUGH COUGH**, so why would we switch to the 3-4 right away?

Will Herm allow that to happen? This is his defense and he fixed it..

RustShack
01-16-2009, 12:50 AM
What makes people think that Herm will allow some other defense here besides his precious Tampa 2...

:doh!:

ChiefsCountry
01-16-2009, 01:35 AM
true, but he is used to finding talent for a 3-4 D so he might lean towards a 3-4 coach

New England used to be a 4-3.

Chief Faithful
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I think Tank would fare well as a 3-4 DE, actually.

I think Tank would do better as an NT in a 3-4 then he does currently in a 4-3. He has the right build and height, but his game is based on strength not quickness so I think he would excel in a 3-4.

OnTheWarpath58
01-16-2009, 09:55 AM
If Suggs has the significant ligament damage in his arm and shoulder that is being reported, he may not get that payday he was thinking about - and all I can think about now is Kendrell Bell...

beach tribe
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM
I think Tank would do better as an NT in a 3-4 then he does currently in a 4-3. He has the right build and height, but his game is based on strength not quickness so I think he would excel in a 3-4.

Totally agree with this, and the fact that Tank is not suited at all to play 3-4 DE IMO. I would very much like to see him tried at NT though, where his brute strength, which is his best attribute, could be utilized.

beach tribe
01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Turk, Tank, Dorsey

Tamba(?), DJ, draft pick, Suggs

I think we should waste no time in finding out if these guys could excel in the 3-4 by putting some packages together as soon as next season, but staying primarily with the 4-3.