PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why not Shanahan?

Ralphy Boy
01-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Is it totally unrealistic to think that the guy would work well with Pioli? Is there really any other candidate who is more qualified? I realize that everyone will blast me for suggesting a guy who has not worked with Pioli in the past, but just because people speculate that he'll hire someone he's worked with in the past doesn't mean that he will only hire one to be the head coach. Pioli is Bill Parcel's son-in-law and worked with Belichick since forever, I think he could handle Shanahan, he knows egos.

He certainly has plenty on his resume to suggest that he would do well here. He knows the division, his teams typically always run the ball well and he's won two Superbowls. Plus he's beat the Raiders 20 out of 26 times, not exactly saying much these days, but I like the way it sounds. Oh and he is 5 & 2 against Belichick, including beating New England in the playoffs in 2006 with Jake Plummer as his QB. If you are Pioli and you want to win the AFC, having a coach that has a winning record against your old counterpart in New England wouldn't hurt.

If you are Shanahan and you just got canned by the team you won two rings for, wouldn't you love to be able to go back into Denver and kick their ass? Logistics of KC to Denver don't hurt considering he is building a ridiculously large house out there.

Nightfyre
01-13-2009, 10:56 PM
YAY lets hire a glorified offensive coordinator.

Ralphy Boy
01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
YAY lets hire a glorified offensive coordinator.

Yeah, lets call a guy with 138 wins a "glorified offensive coordinator", that sounds intelligent.

Nightfyre
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, lets call a guy with 138 wins a "glorified offensive coordinator", that sounds intelligent.
What do you expect of Shanahan?
You expect him to:
1) Coach a QB
2) Coach the O-Line
3) Create an offensive scheme

That is all Shanahan has ever done for Denver. Granted, he did it very well. But that is what I expect of an offensive coordinator; not a head coach. I'll take someone a little more complete.

Marcellus
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Because I fucking hate him. He is the enemy. I want a new guy to be the great coach. .

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I think Shanahan would be a great head coach in a situation where he couldn't also be the GM. His coaching success seems to be inversely related to the amount of power he gained in Denver. If he came to Kansas City it would be in a situation where Pioli is clearly defined as being in charge of the organization's direction. The question in my mind doesn't deal with Pioli's ability to have a big ego as HC (He worked well with Belichick), but Shanahan's ability to function in a place with less control.

Nightfyre
01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I think Shanahan would be a great head coach in a situation where he couldn't also be the GM. His coaching success seems to be inversely related to the amount of power he gained in Denver. If he came to Kansas City it would be in a situation where Pioli is clearly defined as being in charge of the organization's direction. The question in my mind doesn't deal with Pioli's ability to have a big ego as HC (He worked well with Belichick), but Shanahan's ability to function in a place with less control.

Shanahan would be great if he couldn't touch the defense. AKA as an offensive coordinator.

Ralphy Boy
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
What do you expect of Shanahan?
You expect him to:
1) Coach a QB
2) Coach the O-Line
3) Create an offensive scheme

That is all Shanahan has ever done for Denver. Granted, he did it very well. But that is what I expect of an offensive coordinator; not a head coach. I'll take someone a little more complete.

Short of talking his father-in-law out of leaving Miami, who are you going to find that is more "complete"? Schwartz & Spags have never been a HC, so certainly not them, they aren't even close to being as "complete". If you want to make an arguement that his message or style is old, fine. But "complete" is ridiculous.

Also, just in case, the whole Shanahan hasn't done squat without Elway is about as pointless as saying Belichick hasn't done anything without Brady. Pioli & Belichick haven't won anything without the other either. I'm suggesting it could be a good pairing, that's it. The rat had too much on his plate in Denver and too much control. Here that wouldn't be the case.

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
So would Spagnuolo be allowed to "touch the offense?"

StcChief
01-13-2009, 11:31 PM
so Shanny comes and Chiefs become Cutblocks 'r US.

Skip Towne
01-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I have no doubt Pioli could reign in Shanahan's ego if he wished. There aren't many around with Shanahan's credentials. I personally don't want him unless Pioli does. Then, I'm all for it.

Nightfyre
So would Spagnuolo be allowed to "touch the offense?"

Sure, he hasn't proven to be completely inept at it. Also, he isn't PROVEN to grab control of everything and yes-men where he needs someone with balls. All three of these assumptions are the major faults that Shanahan presents as a complete HC. Also, defense wins championships.

Hoover
Here's the deal with Pioli. He is going to basically want an extension of himself as the HC. So he is going to reach back into his past and find a guy that will work with. I think its great and will build a solid organization for years. Wouldn't it be nice for our next HC to be here 10 years if they are successful? Think about having consistent team philosophy in place like that when it comes to free agents and the draft. No loger will we have to cleal house every 3-5 years because we have a new HC.

I've very excited

Craqhead
01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
A.) He was a donk.

B.) He was a Faider

C.) I hope he wont ever be a CHIEF.

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Either way it will certainly be interesting to see which way he goes with the hire (assuming there's a firing soon).

DT58HOF
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
A.) He was a donk.

B.) He was a Faider

D) All THE ABOVE FORGOT TO ADD WINNER!!!

Best coach we could get out there, better than Cowher that everyone slobbers over.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2009, 12:06 AM

Shanahan has said he's interested in the Chiefs job without the GM role according to a couple of ESPN guys. I'd be all for it as long as someone picked a D coordinator for him. He doesn't seem to have a good eye on that side of the ball. But if we could get Shanny, and Stafford or Sanchez. Jesus fuck, we would be in damn fine shape.

TO THE SHIP!!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2009, 12:15 AM
I have no doubt Pioli could reign in Shanahan's ego if he wished. There aren't many around with Shanahan's credentials. I personally don't want him unless Pioli does. Then, I'm all for it.

Exactly. Scott will make that call. If he does, is anyone really gonna bitch about it? Other than the diehards that are willing to sacrifice winning vs. hiring a division rival.

Skip Towne
01-14-2009, 12:15 AM
A.) He was a donk.

B.) He was a Faider

Yeah, that's what to do. Put a bunch of restrictions on Pioli.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-14-2009, 12:20 AM
If this happens, it's because Mike really wants to bury the teams in the AFC West and is willing to work for Pioli. If he wants it bad, there really isn't anyone better qualified. There's only a couple of guys that have jobs right now that I'd take over Shanahan as long as he's the offensive mastermind and has a STRONG D Coordinator that runs the entire defense. If the chips fall right, this could be a dynasty combination.

Nightfyre
01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
If this happens, it's because Mike really wants to bury the teams in the AFC West and is willing to work for Pioli. If he wants it bad, there really isn't anyone better qualified. There's only a couple of guys that have jobs right now that I'd take over Shanahan as long as he's the offensive mastermind and has a STRONG D Coordinator that runs the entire defense. If the chips fall right, this could be a dynasty combination.

Co-head coaches, go!

Ralphy Boy
01-23-2009, 04:56 PM
bump:)