PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock - Hiring of Pioli puts the Chiefs in the Hunt again

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/980160.html

Hiring of Pioli puts the Chiefs in the Hunt again
Jason Whitlock

We have no more questions about Clark Huntís commitment to winning the Super Bowl.

By landing the biggest fish in the NFLís off-season ocean ó Patriots front-office guru Scott Pioli ó Hunt told us everything we need to know about his desire to win at the highest level.

Clark Hunt is as passionate and committed as the most fanatic Chiefs fan.

You pierce your costume with arrows on game day, wear red on Fridays, decorate your basement with Chiefs apparel, rock Priest Holmes jerseys throughout the week, tolerate taxes to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and pay $22 to tailgate before exhibition games.

Clark Hunt appreciates all that. But he wants you to recognize he just spent a fortune to eliminate the stench of Carl Peterson and make the Chiefs Super Bowl contenders again.

We thought dethroning King Carl was a big deal. Luring Pioli to replace Peterson is much, much bigger.

There is no way to guarantee Pioli will be a success. The longtime Bill Belichick right-hand man might be as fraudulent as Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini and the other Belichick clones who failed once they left the Patriots coachís shadow and cashed in.

I like Pioli ó a lot. Heís young, confident, disciplined, smart and heís certainly been in the right organization.

But when it comes to the Patriots and success, we just donít know where Belichick ends and everybody else begins. The Patriots are like the Jackson 5, and Belichick is Michael Jackson. Crennel and Weis proved to be Tito and Jackie.

Is Pioli the next Jermaine Jackson, who had a solid solo career? Or, better yet, is Pioli the next Janet Jackson, a megastar just waiting for the opportunity to shine?

We donít know. And we wonít know for a couple of years. Weíll need to see how he drafts, whether he can find a legitimate quarterback of the future for the Chiefs, whether he can hire his own version of Belichick.

(Oops, Iím assuming that Herm Edwards will be relieved of his duties.)

What we know for sure is that ownership is going to provide Pioli with everything he needs to be successful.

Thereís no way Pioli takes the job without those assurances. He had a great deal of leverage entering this off-season. The Cleveland Browns wanted to make him their general manager. The Lions were initially interested. Pioli couldíve stayed with the Patriots and waited for the perfect situation.

He got it here. He took this job because he found an owner ready to do things the Patriots way. He found an owner ready to match his level of commitment.

You donít leave Belichick and all those Super Bowl rings unless you believe youíve discovered a place where you believe you can do the same thing. Oh, Iím sure the money is awesome. Iím sure the Pioli family is set.

But Pioli has no interest in being Weis or Crennel. Theyíre laughingstocks. Theyíre known as football men who were great Belichick puppets and nothing else. One of lifeís toughest tasks is recovering a lost reputation.

Pioli has a great rep. Heís risking a lot leaving the Belichick nest. He didnít do it blindly or with dollar signs dancing in his head.

He did it thinking about creating his own legacy and with playoff victories dancing in his head.

Pioli and Hunt recruited each other. Pioli had to convince Hunt that he had a plan to fix the Chiefs. And Hunt had to convince Pioli that he was willing to support that plan.

For two decades under Petersonís rule and Lamar Huntís budget, the Chiefs shopped for bargains in their pursuit of a championship. Peterson grabbed Marcus Allen and Joe Montana at the end of their careers. Peterson snagged underappreciated veterans such as Dan Saleaumua and James Hasty.

Only once can I remember Peterson stepping out and paying top dollar for a big-time free agent. He gave his football godfather Dick Vermeil a golden parachute. Peterson spent lavishly on assistants and Vermeilís dream of building an offense superior to Mike Martzís.

It worked.

Well, now Clark Hunt has stepped out and grabbed the most elite name in front-office magic.

And with this move, Hunt has boldly stated only the best and brightest are good enough for the Chiefs.

Thatís just what we needed to hear.

T-post Tom
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
If Pioli is the next Janet Jackson, I don't want to be there for the "wardrobe malfunction."

SLAG
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
good but could have done without the jackson reference

Count Alex's Losses
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Be nice if Whitlock would eat some crow on Herm. He never has.

smittysbar
01-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Good article

KcMizzou
01-13-2009, 11:51 PM
God damned right.

PBJ

sportsman1
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Whitlock says were in the hunt.. so you know we are.

Count Alex's Losses
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Whitlock says were in the hunt.. so you know we are.

Not really.

T-post Tom
01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
"One of lifeís toughest tasks is recovering a lost reputation."

"Bledsoe gay?"; Jeff George; morning radio show; ESPN...

:)

Stinger
01-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Jermaine Jackson says that the hiring of Pioli is .......... Dynamite

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2TMpFFQ_BM4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2TMpFFQ_BM4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Marcellus
01-14-2009, 12:00 AM

Want someone to help you finish that big ole dish of crowe with you do you?

You have had your fill.

chiefscafan
01-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Now I've seen it all dynamite LOL what a corny video

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Thatís just what we needed to hear.

What a bunch of horseshit conjecture.

Gee, thanks JWhit for introducing Chiefs fans to the most successful GM of this decade.

As if we aren't already aware.

Frazod
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Nice article. Been waiting to hear Whitlock's take.

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Nice article. Been waiting to hear Whitlock's take.

Love the new avatar!

Bob Hope was amazing.

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 01:12 AM
And STILL no Clark Hunt appreciation thread on the front page of The Lounge?

DCS is saddened by this.

That said, Whitlock, in his roundabout the Jackson Family way, hit it right on the head.

I don't think the casual NFL fan of the other franchises realizes what they're about to get hit with.
Everybody's talking about drafting and that's great. But what Scott also brings is massive credibility in acquiring the best free agents available. Kansas City is now "A Place To Be".

Expect a turnaround of Miami proportions or greater for 2009 at the very least.

Ebolapox
01-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Chris Rock (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001674/): [on Jermaine Jackson] What is up with Jermaine? Is it just me or is he the greasiest nigga you ever seen? Just greasy motherfucker looking like he sprayed Armoral on his face! Just glistening... like Patrick Ewing in the fourth quarter! When Jermaine is on the TV, I got wipe the screen! "I can't see shit! Jermaine must've been on!" Even the police can't catch his ass. He just slips out! They're like "Somebody throw some sand on that nigga please!" I thought we were done with Jermaine! I got the "Do what you did when you did what you did to me" album!

http://www.volker-storck.de/schallplatten/big/Jermaine%20Jackson%20-%20Dynamite.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 01:32 AM
I never KNEW that was Jermaine singing that song!

Mecca
01-14-2009, 01:54 AM
What a bunch of horseshit conjecture.

Gee, thanks JWhit for introducing Chiefs fans to the most successful GM of this decade.

As if we aren't already aware.

You probably have no idea how many people will read his column or loosely follow that Chiefs that have no clue who Scott Pioli is, sad but true.

Ebolapox
01-14-2009, 02:04 AM
You probably have no idea how many people will read his column or loosely follow that Chiefs that have no clue who Scott Pioli is, sad but true.

sad thing is, my pops (who raised me to be a chiefs fan) had no clue who pioli was/is.

Spicy McHaggis
01-14-2009, 02:07 AM
If Pioli is the next Janet Jackson, I don't want to be there for the "wardrobe malfunction."

If Pioli wins KC a Super Bowl he could walk nude around the Plaza and I won't say a damn thing.

Mecca
01-14-2009, 02:08 AM
sad thing is, my pops (who raised me to be a chiefs fan) had no clue who pioli was/is.

Lots of people just follow the Chiefs so they really have no idea who these other people are.

Ari Chi3fs
01-14-2009, 02:53 AM
I have discovered this to be true as well, Mecca. Neither my Dad, brother, friend from high school, etc... have any idea who the guy is.

We are football fanatics here... most people aren't. This is an article that needed to be written.

KCChiefsFan88
01-14-2009, 06:28 AM

The same could be said about Wargarbage Illustrated and all the flowery articles written about Herm, Croyle, etc.

beach tribe
01-14-2009, 07:05 AM
And STILL no Clark Hunt appreciation thread on the front page of The Lounge?

DCS is saddened by this.

That said, Whitlock, in his roundabout the Jackson Family way, hit it right on the head.

I don't think the casual NFL fan of the other franchises realizes what they're about to get hit with.
Everybody's talking about drafting and that's great. But what Scott also brings is massive credibility in acquiring the best free agents available. Kansas City is now "A Place To Be".

Expect a turnaround of Miami proportions or greater for 2009 at the very least.

I started one yesterday.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200212

Ebolapox
01-14-2009, 07:12 AM
yeah--the lack of overall knowledge of the 'casual' fan is likely what keeps dumbasses from propping up WPI.

KCJohnny
01-14-2009, 07:14 AM
But when it comes to the Patriots and success, we just donít know where Belichick ends and everybody else begins. The Patriots are like the Jackson 5, and Belichick is Michael Jackson. Crennel and Weis proved to be Tito and Jackie.

I think many of would agree that Brady is MJ. Belichick was a sub .500 coach until he stumbled onto Brady, a 6th round pick from U Mich.

Leave it up to Whitlock to compare the Patriots to the J5.

Donger
01-14-2009, 09:10 AM

What was his take on Herm when he was hired?

phillip
01-14-2009, 10:03 AM

I don't think its sad. You can enjoy football without making it your #1 dedicated hobby. I enjoy my other hobbies a little more (tinkering with cars and skiing/snowboarding) because I can actually control the outcome. You can analyze the NFL to death, but in the end, it really doesn't matter what you think.

If it wasn't for me coming to ChiefsPlanet for news and more informed opinions, I would have never heard of Pioli. I think its safe to say I'm in the vast majority of Kansas Citians.

Whitlock knows his readership base is not the extremely serious message board fan. If he was writing for most of you guys, I'm sure his articles would be a lot more technical and a lot less stating the obvious and stirring the pot.

Dave Lane
01-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Maybe once the axe drops :shrug:

StcChief
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't think its sad. You can enjoy football without making it your #1 dedicated hobby. I enjoy my other hobbies a little more (tinkering with cars and skiing/snowboarding) because I can actually control the outcome. You can analyze the NFL to death, but in the end, it really doesn't matter what you think.

If it wasn't for me coming to ChiefsPlanet for news and more informed opinions, I would have never heard of Pioli. I think its safe to say I'm in the vast majority of Kansas Citians.

Whitlock knows his readership base is not the extremely serious message board fan. If he was writing for most of you guys, I'm sure his articles would be a lot more technical and a lot less stating the obvious and stirring the pot. exactly QFT. the rabid fan BS really showed in the empty seat Arrowhead in 2008.

Stanley Nickels
10-28-2012, 07:06 PM
LOL.

Sure-Oz
10-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow, who cares...

He's been one of the biggest supporters of getting rid of Pioli. Pioli fooled us all.

ChiefMojo
10-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Lol to be fair Jason was one of the first person to turn on Pioli though. Everyone thought Pioli was the greatest thing since sliced bread when hired.

siberian khatru
10-28-2012, 07:08 PM
This was before The Dinner.

Stanley Nickels
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM
This was before The Dinner.

That's what makes this remarkable; it seems to validate Whitlock's dinner story, and explains his subsequent souring on Pioli. He clearly was as excited as the rest of us, but did an about-face once he saw Pioli's true character.

Phobia
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
There is no way to guarantee Pioli will be a success. The longtime Bill Belichick right-hand man might be as fraudulent as Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini and the other Belichick clones who failed once they left the Patriots coachís shadow and cashed in.

I think JW sufficiently CYA here.

BigRedChief
10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Lol to be fair Jason was one of the first person to turn on Pioli though. Everyone thought Pioli was the greatest thing since sliced bread when hired.THIS. Everyone at the time loved the hire. Someone says different, I'm going to have to see some evidence.