PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Source: Edwards staying with KC not ruled out

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Source: Edwards staying with KC not ruled out (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/sports&id=6604046)

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 | 1:15 PM

01/14/2009 10:08 AM -- A source with knowledge of the team's thinking told ESPN's Michael Smith it has not been ruled out that Herm Edwards could return for the final year of his contract as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

A source with knowledge of the team's thinking told ESPN's Michael Smith it has not been ruled out that Herm Edwards could return for the final year of his contract as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Conventional wisdom is that Scott Pioli, who is expected to be introduced as the team's new general manager later Wednesday, will want to hire his own guy, but a source said Pioli is coming in with an open mind.

The fate of Edwards and his staff is expected to be decided by the end of this week.

Owner Clark Hunt, according to sources, prefers that Edwards remain the coach, but Hunt has gone on record as saying the new general manager would make that decision.

As for who would replace Edwards, if the team decides to go in a different direction, a top candidate who has been mentioned is New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Multiple reports also have mentioned Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, who previously worked with Pioli in Cleveland. But according to a source close to Hunt, the Chiefs owner is opposed to bringing in a college coach -- though, again, that ultimately would be Pioli's decision.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

[I hope Athan is not considered a "source".]

88TG88
01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
:(

blueballs
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
That mind will close shut
after he looks at the tape

the Talking Can
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!11

Crush
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Over my dead Pioli!!!

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I think it's garbage, but posted it for everyone's reading pleasure. WTF is a "a source with knowledge of the team's thinking" anyway?

Basileus777
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
A source with knowledge of the team's thinking

Gretz is that you?

blueballs
Come on people
he needs people to pack in his belongings
hey cunningham -grab that box of player files

Warrior5
"A source with knowledge of the team's thinking..."

That's just about half the Planet.

kcnut, who authorized you to talk to Michael Smith?!

Crush
01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I think it's garbage, but posted it for everyone's reading pleasure. WTF is a "a source with knowledge of the team's thinking" anyway?

A nervous and desperate Herm Edwards?

CupidStunt
Knowledge "of the team's thinking?" Who the hell knows what Pioli is thinking and why in the world would they be in a position to be spouting off to Michael Smith?

Get outta here with that speculation BS. Herm is gone by Friday, book it.

NewChief
Be very afraid. Herm is slick. From what I've been told: he's like a used car salesman.

Short Leash Hootie
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Meh.

I'm very happy about Pioli...so happy that another year of Herm really wouldn't bother me. I'd rather have Spags or Ferentz or Schwartz...but nonetheless, meh.

Bowser
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Be very afraid. Herm is slick. From what I've been told: he's like a used car salesman.

He's gone. I have no doubt.

Rausch
This report is $#it.

If you come in with an open mind you leave wanting to club Herm like a baby fucking seal...

alpha_omega
Keeping Herm would be a disastrous first decision....IMHO.

Donger

With his win-loss record, he better be very slick.

Bowser
01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Michael Smith is no Jay Glazer, "sources" or no.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Yep. But when Pioli has one ear, and Herm has the other....who's going to win. Clark may have originally been bullshitted by Herm, but after talking hours with Pioli.....

And no way Herm bullshits Pioli.

HemiEd
01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
This is like riding a roller coaster. Get Herm and his retarts out of here!:cuss:

siberian khatru
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Don't harsh my mellow.

beer bacon
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Clark and Pioli need to be reminded that it is not a good idea to poison the well before you have a chance to draw any water. Keeping Herm for another season would be a typical Peterson move, and we need a clean break. Our new GM needs the freedom to clean house and replace our team's infrastructure with his own guys. It makes no sense to hamstring him right off the bat.

RedThat
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Over my dead Pioli!!!

ROFL that was good

mlyonsd
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
There's a new era starting at Arrowhead.....new GM, new stadium, new attitude.

No way Pioli let's Herm lead the team down the tunnel the first home game.

Skip Towne
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
I'll bet Claythan knows who the next coach will be. I'll bet he's known for 8 days.

Amnorix
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Knowledge "of the team's thinking?" Who the hell knows what Pioli is thinking and why in the world would they be in a position to be spouting off to Michael Smith?

You mean Michael Smith formerly of the staff of the Boston Globe? Michael Smith who broke the KC gets Pioli story?

Yeah, he's completely unreliable. Ignore him.

Bowser
01-14-2009, 12:59 PM
You mean Michael Smith formerly of the staff of the Boston Globe? Michael Smith who broke the KC gets Pioli story?

Yeah, he's completely unreliable. Ignore him.

Herm is gone.

bogey
If Edwards stays, how can Pioli have the same respect for him that he likely had for BB? I have to assume Pioli will be the final say in pretty much all decisons. Yes? No?

DaKCMan AP
A reputable person on this board has said Herm had been notified of his termination some time ago.

Basileus777
A reputable person on this board has said Herm had been notified of his termination some time ago.

I thought that was from a PFT report.

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I thought that was from a PFT report.

I could be mistaken..

Woodrow Call
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Yep and IMO that is the only source worth a damn.

He's always money

blueballs
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Mr Edwards you may keep your job -IF
I clean out your assistants and I replace them
I will find someone to hold your hand on the sidelines -so you can keep it off your dick

KCrockaholic
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM

that statement is the best way to describe Herm. "a used car salesman." perfect.

booger
01-14-2009, 01:06 PM

which thread was that in?

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
which thread was that in?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200208

KcKing
01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
All I see reading this is someone within the organization misunderstood Pioli whilst evesdropping when he said something like... "We need to make Herm think he's got a shot at staying so I can interview him and fulfill my Rooney obligations."

cdcox
01-14-2009, 01:10 PM
So a key to the Patriot's success has been the Pioli - BB mind meld.

Imagine Pioli's experience the first time he tries to mind meld with Herm.

RedThat
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM

The success would decrease by like 50% I predict. Herm and BB are total opposites.

booger
01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
:thumb:http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200208

Otter
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
So let me get this straight...

A man of Pioli's character is coming into town to take over a failing franchise and one of his first moves is going to be to retain the coach who humiliated the team in the playoffs then proceeded to go 4-12 then 2-14 who was hired by a GM that was run out of town by its fan base?

Some you folks are either stupid or on crack. Give it a rest.

Frankie
01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Multiple reports also have mentioned Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, who previously worked with Pioli in Cleveland. But according to a source close to Hunt, the Chiefs owner is opposed to bringing in a college coach -- though, again, that ultimately would be Pioli's decision.

Clark is gaining my respect faster and faster.

RustShack
01-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Clark is gaining my respect faster and faster.

All he does is watch soccer and read ChiefsPlanet.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM

Good way of putting it.

Boris The Great
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM

That statement is an oxymoron. Seriously, lets apply some common sense here. What did Clark do, tell Herm he was out of a job, but he had to keep coming to work every day? AND he couldnt let a single word of his firing get out to the media?

Nobody reputable would be spreading such a stupid statement.

DaKCMan AP
01-14-2009, 01:26 PM
That statement is an oxymoron. Seriously, lets apply some common sense here. What did Clark do, tell Herm he was out of a job, but he had to keep coming to work every day? AND he couldnt let a single word of his firing get out to the media?

Nobody reputable would be spreading such a stupid statement.

Lets apply some more common sense. This person hasn't provided false information in the past. Therefore, I have no reason to play devil's advocate.

blueballs
01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
You know Herm coached in the same division as the Pats
right

Chiefnj2
01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
"A source with knowledge of the team's thinking"

Since there is a new GM in charge of all personnel decisions, how the hell does this source have any "knowledge" of how the team thinks?

Thig Lyfe
01-14-2009, 01:36 PM
OH FUCK THAT

KC kid
01-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Lets apply some more common sense. This person hasn't provided false information in the past. Therefore, I have no reason to play devil's advocate.

Who is the person you are referring to?

JuicesFlowing
01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Come on people
he needs people to pack in his belongings
hey cunningham -grab that box of player files

Don't forget the yellow shooting glasses!

RustShack
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
The Patriots wanted Gun as a LB coach before he came here to be DC, maybe Pioli wants to keep him as LB coach?

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Same article is now on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3832588&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

with audio interview of Michael Smith

tyton75
01-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Dammit Scott!!

Frankie
01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
The Patriots wanted Gun as a LB coach before he came here to be DC, maybe Pioli wants to keep him as LB coach?

But we know Gunther will never accept a demotion with the Chiefs.

T-post Tom
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Professing to have an "open mind" is the right move for Pioli. Prediction: Herm gets an "interview" and Pioli decides to go with his own guy.

Fat Elvis
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
But we know Gunther will never accept a demotion with the Chiefs.

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
If Pioli keeps Herm around another season, I'm OFF his fucking bandwagon!

T-post Tom
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Chiefs still to decide on coaches, front office
By DOUG TUCKER
Published January 14, 2009 at 12:14 p.m.
Updated January 14, 2009 at 2:04 p.m.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) Scott Pioli's arrival as general manager may signal only the beginning of a massive upheaval in Kansas City.

And to that, most long-suffering fans would probably say, "Hurrah!"

Head coach Herm Edwards and his staff were 6-26 in their last two years, the worst span in team history. They have been waiting to learn their fate since Dec. 15, when Carl Peterson resigned after 20 years as president, CEO and general manager.

Now that Hunt has named Pioli, a top Bill Belichick lieutenant in New England, their wait may quickly be over. Four teams already have been looking for new coaches and the market of top candidates may be drying up unless, of course, Pioli has already picked out his man and spoken with him in private.

Slowed by age in 2007, plagued by youth and injury in 2008, Edwards' teams have won only two of their last 25 games. Especially wretched this past season was a defense that at various times allowed team records in points and yards rushing allowed while managing an embarrassing 10 sacks a league record for pass-rushing good-for-nothingness.

Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who was Kansas City's head coach in 1999-2000, would seem to stand on particularly shaky ground. Also falling into that group would be special teams coach Mike Preifer.

No one would be shocked if Edwards were given the final year of his four-year, $12 million contract, however, and allowed at least a second season to get his rebuilding program on track. Almost to a man, the players like and respect the former NFL cornerback and, most importantly, Clark Hunt likes and respects him, too.

When Peterson resigned, the Chiefs chairman made two points about Edwards that the final decision on whether to retain him would be Hunt's, and there would be "significant input" from the new GM.

"I continue to think he's the right person both to have led us through this process, and going forward I think he can do a good job as well," Hunt said then.

Of course, coaches aren't alone among those who are waiting anxiously to learn what Pioli has in mind. So are scouts and player personnel people who can point to few successes in recent years.

In addition, there's still a decision looming on who will head up the business side of Hunt's NFL operation.

Many within the Chiefs family believe it's not a decision that Hunt must make, but an announcement. Since Hunt said on Dec. 15 that he planned to split the two jobs that Peterson had held, Denny Thum has seemed the logical candidate. A veteran of more than 30 years with the Chiefs front office, Thum was Peterson's right-hand man in contract negotiations. The trust Hunt places in him was evident when word got out that Thum was assisting the owner in the general manager search to the point of even taking part in the interview process.

Thum's appointment would be a bit of refreshing news for the weary 150 or so Chiefs employees. Hardworking, low-key and likable, he would also lend stability, something the organization is likely to be lacking in the coming months.

RJ
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
"A source with knowledge of the team's thinking"

Since there is a new GM in charge of all personnel decisions, how the hell does this source have any "knowledge" of how the team thinks?

This.

Zouk
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
My guess is that Pioli and Clark both like and respect Herm and are trying to work the transition in such a way as to not make him look bad.

In that it's not Pioli walking in right away and saying fire this idiot, but more like talking through the issues and pointing out areas where their philosophies are different, and parting amicably.

But then again - it does make him twist in the wind. I'm definitely confused, but this is one possiblity.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who was Kansas City's head coach in 1999-2000, would seem to stand on particularly shaky ground.

Ya think?

T-post Tom
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
My guess is that Pioli and Clark both like and respect Herm and are trying to work the transition in such a way as to not make him look bad.

In that it's not Pioli walking in right away and saying fire this idiot, but more like talking through the issues and pointing out areas where their philosophies are different, and parting amicably.

But then again - it does make him twist in the wind. I'm definitely confused, but this is one possiblity.

That sounds about right.

kysirsoze
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Not even reading this thread. I don't want to deal with this idea until I have to.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm guessing he's waiting on word from Ferentz, and then on to Plan B, and Herm staying is a possibility then.

Zouk
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm guessing he's waiting on word from Ferentz, and then on to Plan B, and Herm staying is a possibility then.

That's a good guess too.

Tribal Warfare
01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
I could be mistaken..

That is BigRedChief you are speaking of

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM

There ya' go, that's it exactly.

Clark "might prefer" this or that, but make no mistake; Scott Pioli is NOT getting paid super-grip to be "fair to Herm Edwards".

When it comes to this particular speculation? = Garbage. WarGarbage.

smittysbar
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Fuck this, I can't believe it until I see it.

Man I was ready to get back to Arrowhead, but if this dumb shit remains, I will not spend a dime.

Guru
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
God this is funny. He's going to be fired. He's not going to be fired.

Maybe they should just get a flower and start pulling petals.

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
God this is funny. He's going to be fired. He's not going to be fired.

Maybe they should just get a flower and start pulling petals.

Let's just give Herm his money and a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba with soft Corinthian leather, and call it a day.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
How can you sell Herm to the fanbase again?

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Drape him in soft Corinthian leather.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Fucking ESPN is still reporting the same shit as this AM...

Otter
01-14-2009, 04:01 PM

There's no way.

Also, he's the same guy who got your predecessor run out of town. It's bullshit.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
There's no way.

Also, he's the same guy who got your predecessor run out of town. It's bullshit.

If Pioli keeps Herm he better wear a flack vest... Herm will have his back stabbing game on...

Also, do you want to keep a whiney bitch coach that weaseled and snitched around on the last GM and will most likely pick up the phone and cry to Clark everytime you tell him No...

PhillyChiefFan
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
DAMN IT SCOTT :cuss:

(sorry I had to try it out) just doesn't seem the same. :D

StcChief
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
again. yhe AA interview must occur. Tomorrow. Patience is a virtue.

ILChief
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
The way i see it, with Clark leaving and Pioli coming on board, the Chiefs have built an enormous amount of good will with the fans. The ONLY way to ruin it is to keep Herm.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Pioli would not have accepted if he didn't have a say in the head coaching decision. My guess is, he doesn't want Herm, but he doesn't hate Herm with the same passion all of you seem to for reasons I still can't understand.

OnTheWarpath58
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Pioli would not have accepted if he didn't have a say in the head coaching decision. My guess is, he doesn't want Herm, but he doesn't hate Herm with the same passion all of you seem to for reasons I still can't understand.

6-26.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
6-26.

The question is what coach could have won more than 10 games in the last 2 seasons with the piece of shit roster he was given? That's why I will never understand the hate. You have people on this thread defending Carl Peterson to take a shot at Herm Edwards. I don't get it.

Priest4Prez
01-14-2009, 07:18 PM
The question is what coach could have won more than 10 games in the last 2 seasons with the piece of shit roster he was given? That's why I will never understand the hate. You have people on this thread defending Carl Peterson to take a shot at Herm Edwards. I don't get it.

Herm did take us to the playoffs

Bwana
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
So did Dick, your point?

Priest4Prez
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
So did Dick, your point?

6-26 after a playoff season is pathetic

Baconeater
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
DAMN IT SCOTT :cuss:

(sorry I had to try it out) just doesn't seem the same. :D

It seems to be catching on...

MahiMike
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Interpretation: We're waiting for Spags to agree to terms before we give Herm the boot.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I swear to GOD, I just logged into 610 sports and Chiefzilla was hosting the show...

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Piece of shit roster? Please, expound.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Interpretation: We're waiting for Spags to agree to terms before we give Herm the boot.

For the record, I would be ecstatic if Spags was our next head coach. I might learn how to do a cartwheel.

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
For the record, I would be ecstatic if Spags was our next head coach. I might learn how to do a cartwheel.

Unless you post a video of yourself upon learning said skill and acquisition of said coach, you are teasing The Planet.

The Planet is a harsh mistress; beware.

TEX
01-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Herm, for one, had he known WTF he was doing. How many close games did we lose because of terrible coaching???

Darth CarlSatan
01-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Herm, for one, had he known WTF he was doing. How many close games did we lose because of terrible coaching???

Yep. I learned more about shoddy field generalship watching Herm than I ever wanted to.