PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli: "It's not the best 53, it's the right 53"

petegz28
01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
"It's not necessarily the best 53 players," Pioli said. "It's the right 53 players."

http://www.kansascity.com/669/story/981410.html

I thought this a very interesting quote by him from his presser tonight. Sounds sort of along the lines of DV with the whole "character" deal but different.

I see Gretz pointing out the drafts by the Pats and clearly there are not a lot of big names. But they have won more SB's than anyone in recent history so.....it should make for an interesting off-season.

Thoughts?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
He's absolutely right. Look at the 96-2000 Yankees vs. the 2001-08 Yankees. The latter teams had significantly more talent, but you can't just win on talent alone. Ask USA Basketball.

DaWolf
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I betcha we're probably not going to be the first team out there throwing money at big name free agents unless Pioli has decided months in advance that that guy fits into what we want. So on that front I don't think things will change for the Chiefs, and we as impatient irrational fans will get pissed off as the Julius Peppers of the world get signed in the first 2 days of FA and don't end up here.

That being said, Pioli hopefully won't be consistently signing the Shawn Barbers, Kendrell Bells, Chester McNuggets, Carlton Grays, and Dung Williams of the world...

Count Zarth
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
That being said, Pioli hopefully won't be consistently signing the Shawn Barbers, Kendrell Bells, Chester McNuggets, Carlton Grays, and Dung Williams of the world...

No fackin' shit!

The Bad Guy
01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I betcha we're probably not going to be the first team out there throwing money at big name free agents unless Pioli has decided months in advance that that guy fits into what we want. So on that front I don't think things will change for the Chiefs, and we as impatient irrational fans will get pissed off as the Julius Peppers of the world get signed in the first 2 days of FA and don't end up here.

The thing about Pioli too is with the Patriots, they always got the guy they wanted whether is was Adalius Thomas, Roosevelt Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon, Wes Welker or Randy Moss. When they targeted a player, he got that player.

JASONSAUTO
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
i feel as though he meant it like every person in the organization no matter who, has to do their job and if the player is worried about stats sometimes that makes them undisciplined and if everyone does their jobs its a win, PLAY AS A TEAM

Gravedigger
01-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Look at my sig, thats the best quote from the entire press conference.