PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Prediction on head coach

Zouk
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
It will be someone who Pioli worked with before and it won't be someone who currently works for the Pats. I see these names emerging:

Kirk Ferentz
Maurice Carthon
Todd Haley

I think it will be one of these 3 guys with Romeo Crennel as defensive coordinator.

the Talking Can
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
who is Haley?

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
who is Haley?

Zona's OC

Zouk
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
OC for the Cardinals. Another Parcells favorite. He got his start with the Jets in the late 90's when Parcells and Pioli were there.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Zouk:

You're thinking about this the right way. It will be somebody he was worked with before. Being on the same page as the HC is paramount for him.

dorseybowe
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
The Rat

the Talking Can
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
interesting...Ferentz is probably my least favorite based on the whole "college to nfl" history...but whatever, we're paying this guy an assload to make the decision so I'll trust his judgment...

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
interesting nugget on Haley:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley has turned down the Dolphins' request to interview him. Haley instead signed an extension through 2010 to stay with Arizona. He was the Cowboys' WRs coach under Bill Parcells and made headlines in 2006 for his sideline arguments with Terrell Owens. His offense ranked 12th in 2007.

CaliforniaChief
01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't think it's necessarily going to be someone he's worked with in the past, although the odds might lean in that direction. In his interview process he could hit it off with someone much like he did with Clark Hunt.

I really like Spagnuolo with Shanahan as my 2nd choice.

Gravedigger
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Spagnuolo will be the latest member of the Pioli Mafia.

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Spagnuolo will be the latest member of the Pioli Mafia.

I dunno. My guess is that he wants a 3-4 guy, and I don't think Spags is one.

The Bad Guy
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I dunno. My guess is that he wants a 3-4 guy, and I don't think Spags is one.

I don't think Pioli is an exclusive 3-4 guy.

The Patriots ran the 4-3 plenty in his time there. When Seymour was drafted, they were a 4-3 team.

Gravedigger
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Well if Spags is like Herm and wants to call the defense even with a competent DC there then yeah he might not be the guy, but if Spagnulo lets the DC he brings in do his job then maybe.

Molitoth
01-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry to say but I think Herm has another year.

Otter
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry to say but I think Herm has another year.

As offered before, I'm taking bets. Signatures, avatars, money.

Name your price.

blueballs
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Clark took his time to get his man
I just have a feeling Scott will do the same
imitation and what not

KChiefs1
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I still want Jim Schwartz

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Herm stays

Alphaman
01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
As I posted in another thread I think Pioli will target an offensive minded coach with a strong QB development background. That piece MUST be taken care of with this first hire and a defensive minded guy won't have that experience of QB development. To that end, I think heavy consideration will be given to guys Pioli has worked with before who are not currently with Patriots at head coach and at the coordinator spots.

I hadn't thought of Todd Haley before. I think he's a good thought on the list. Here's my list of candidates:

1. Mike Shanahan
2. Charlie Weis
3. Jason Garrett
4. Todd Haley

chiefsngop
01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Zona's OC

I wasn't on the forum back then, so fill me in.

Were the problems with Leinart predicted before the Cards picked him, or did it just shock the world when he didn't light it up ???

I guess I want to know if it can be marked as a mistake that they burned that pick on him, or if it was just unforeseeable ?

bdeg
01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I think it will be Shanny or Schwartz.

I'd actually love to have Ferentz right behind those two, but I believe he wants to stay at Iowa.

As I posted in another thread, Spags is asking for total roster control so I don't think we'll see him in KC.

JRS2
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Todd is the assistant head coach of the Dolphins.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/01/todd_bowles_unveils_his_bluepr.html

Kerberos
01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
interesting...Ferentz is probably my least favorite based on the whole "college to nfl" history...but whatever, we're paying this guy an assload to make the decision so I'll trust his judgment...

They paid Carl an ASSLOAD to make decisions but no one here trusted him to pick his nose without a mistake. Last time he dug for gold we got Herm.

:doh!:

kysirsoze
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Herm stays.... god help me...

Woodrow Call
01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/15/report-schwartz-to-coach-lions/

REPORT: SCHWARTZ TO COACH LIONS
Posted by Josh Alper on January 15, 2009, 3:31 p.m. EST
Chris Mortensen and Michael Smith of ESPN are reporting that Jim Schwartz and the Lions have agreed in principle to a deal that will make Schwartz the next head coach of the Lions. Per the ESPN duo, it will be a four year deal.

Schwartz’s hiring means that the Titans are looking for a new defensive coordinator. It won’t be former coordinator Gregg Williams. Williams, who had the job for four years before leaving to become head coach of the Bills in 2001, joined the New Orleans Saints staff earlier on Thursday.

Schwartz inherits the NFL’s first-ever 0-16 team which, by his own modest admission, has “some holes” on their roster. One of his first duties will be to find a starting quarterback, something the team’s been looking for, per Schwartz, since Bobby Layne was sent packing.

Those quotes are both from an entertaining Monday press conference that may have served as a trial balloon for how Schwartz would handle taking over a team mired in the muck. He did it with good humor, something that may be tested in the years to come.

Woodrow Call
01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I think zouk predicted this in another thread....

www.rotoworld.com

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that Dolphins defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni could emerge as a head-coaching candidate in Kansas City.

New GM Scott Pioli was a graduate assistant at Syracuse when Pasqualoni was head coach there. He also runs a 3-4 defense, which is all Pioli has experience with, and currently works for Pioli's father-in-law Bill Parcells in Miami.

Woodrow Call
01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/15/chiefs-could-turn-to-pasqualoni-as-next-coach/

Chiefs could turn to Pasqualoni as next coach
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, NFL coaching search, Paul Pasqualoni, Scott Pioli

As Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli tries to decide who should be his next head coach, multiple league sources believe it is worth paying attention to Dolphins defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni.

When Pioli was a graduate assistant at Syracuse in 1988-1989, Pasqualoni was the head coach at the school. Pasqualoni has acquired the reputation as one of the more respected coaches in the game and merited consideration from other teams involved in head coaching searches this offseason.

Plus, Pasqualoni works for Pioli’s father-in-law, Bill Parcells, the Dolphins executive vice president-football operations. Were Pioli to turn to Pasqualoni, he would be going with a similar coaching model to the one that Parcells deployed so successfully last season in Miami.

When Parcells accepted the Dolphins job, he hired Tony Sparano, a 47-year-old coach who was a head coach at the University of New Haven before moving on to Boston University and the NFL. The now 59-year-old Pasqualoni had a similar start, coaching at Southern Connecticut State and Western Connecticut before becoming the head coach at Syracuse in 1987, and then moving on to Parcells’ staff in Dallas in 2005.

Pioli always has liked and respected Pasqualoni. Now, as Pioli tries to decide which head coach to go with, he can choose Herman Edwards, Paul Pasqualoni, Steve Spagnuolo or another candidate.

It doesn’t mean Pasqualoni is going to be Pioli’s choice. It just means that, from this point on, he’s a person of interest.

Zouk
01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I think zouk predicted this in another thread....

Yes - I did. I didn't put him on this list though because I just didn't think Pioli would bring in a 59 year old guy for what he hopes would be a long term gig, but you never know. I do know they were at Syracuse together and have Connecticut ties. Maybe I can start calling Schefter and become a "league source".

the Talking Can
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
They paid Carl an ASSLOAD to make decisions but no one here trusted him to pick his nose without a mistake. Last time he dug for gold we got Herm.

:doh!:

what does that have to do with pioli?