PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pat seems to believe Pioli wants to hang on to Herm...

Count Alex's Losses
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
He worries me. Slightly.

http://kan.scout.com/2/830350.html

With the hiring of Scott Pioli and the exit of longtime public villain Carl Peterson, many Chiefs fans are still waiting for the last shoe to drop. That proverbial last shoe is Herm Edwards, and many believe his termination as head football coach is inevitable.

It’s not just the overwhelming majority of the fans who believe Edwards’ days in KC are limited to one or two, but many media members, also. After Wednesday’s press conference introducing Pioli as GM, numerous members of the Kansas City media talked about how Edwards is finished and that comments made by Pioli and Clark Hunt about his retention were just a dog and pony show.

I don’t follow that line of thinking. Let me go on record as saying I believe Pioli when he talks about the tremendous amount of respect he has for Edwards, and Hunt when he said what to do with Edwards is a decision he and Pioli will reach together. Call me gullible, call me whatever you want, but I draw my conclusion not just off the words of two men, but off the goals, ideals, and beliefs about how to build a winning football program headed by three men.

Let’s first start with the pleasantries Pioli showered upon Edwards:

“I’ve known Herm for a long time. I’ve got a lot of respect for Herm on a professional level and a personal level. He’s a fine man. We’re going to spend some more time talking, and like I said, this entire thing is going to be a process, and we’re going to continue to spend some time talking with Herm. And contrary to some reports that were out there, we’re going to spend some time talking with Herm. I’m going to spend some time talking with Herm, and I’m actually looking forward to it very much…”

“I know this, Herm’s been around enough teams that have been very successful and have gone to the playoffs, and he’s brought enough teams to the playoffs, so he knows something about players and playing and winning games.”

“The first thing that jumps out to me with Herm Edwards’ team is how hard they play. Herm’s players play hard, and they play hard for him, they play hard for themselves. I’ve known Herm not only as a competitor, but I’ve gotten to know him over the years, and have a good personal relationship with him. His players play hard, they play very hard, and that’s one of the things I really respect about him. He coaches passionately as well and I believe in passion.”

Some may scoff at Pioli’s comments about Edwards, and certainly the “any incoming GM is going to be complimentary of a well-respected coach already in place, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to keep him around” argument is untreatable. I get that, but look at some of the things Pioli talked about when he wasn’t referring to Edwards,’ but rather the organization and his philosophy about winning in general.

“The relationship that Bill and I had was professional and personal, and I think the relationship with the head coach, for me is going to need to be personal, because there’s a lot of, hopefully peaks and there’s certainly valleys in this business. And when you reach those different times, you need to have a close relationship and a mutual respect for someone to work through where all the difficult situations are….”

Didn’t Pioli say he’s, “gotten to know (Herm) over the years, and (has) a good personal relationship with him”?

It seems Edwards fulfills one of Pioli’s criteria in selecting a head coach.

Also, Pioli was asked to describe the “Patriot way,” and this was part of his response:

“It’s about a group of people that work passionately together and work very hard.”

Well, did Pioli not also give Edwards props for his passion? That’s now two checkmarks in Edwards’ favor.

“I believe in the draft. I believe strongly in the draft, it’s the backbone of your football team. I also believe that in certain situations depending on opportunity and need that you can compliment and auppliment your roster with free agency…The other thing that we’re trying to build here is not a team just for 2009, not just for 2010. The goal here is to build a team a team that consistently competes for championships.”

Don’t those remarks sound an awful lot like something Edwards might say?

Maybe I’m dead wrong, and Pioli and Hunt are still putting on a charade about really considering retaining Edwards, and all of this is just a show because Hunt knows deep down that he signed off on the rebuilding project with Edwards as its architect, but the losing turned out to be more than he could handle.

Maybe, but something tells me that Herm’s future truly hasn’t been decided yet, that Pioli really might give him the chance. Maybe I’m gullible, but honestly, it looks like Edwards and Pioli have similar views of how to rebuild a team. Sticking my neck out on this one isn’t a terrible bet, because if I’m wrong, we’ll just chock it up as another “L,” but if I’m right, man will I do some bragging. I feel like the guy who took Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson, and hopefully, I’ll be laughing my way to the bank.

the Talking Can
01-14-2009, 10:26 PM
is there a Retard Test that you have to pass to be a WPI Fake Journalist?

cause you guys are the fucking dumbest....

Zouk
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I'll repost what I wrote earlier today. The press conference confirmed my thinking 100%.

My guess is that Pioli and Clark both like and respect Herm and are trying to work the transition in such a way as to not make him look bad.

In that it's not Pioli walking in right away and saying fire this idiot, but more like talking through the issues and pointing out areas where their philosophies are different, and parting amicably.

Fish
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5520/omfgdramanl3.jpg

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Pioli has no interest in a motivator coach like Herm. If the player needs motivation, Pioli doesn't want him.

siberian khatru
01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I'll repost what I wrote earlier today. The press conference confirmed my thinking 100%.

Bingo.

KCUnited
The more time that passes the more stories like this are going to appear. Pioli, like Clark seems to keep things close to his vest, and the fact is nobody knows and I feel he's being genuine when he says he's going to talk to Herm and evaluate the situation.

The Bad Guy
High school newspapers have more household names than WPI.

Who is Pat? And why do I give a **** what he has to say?

Is he 28 and live in the basement too?

DeezNutz
There's much to worry about.

Pioli said that he's known Herm for a long time, both professionally and personally. Yet...he needs more time to evaluate him. When pressed, Pioli admires Herm's passion; this is the proverbial, "She's got a great personality."

And Herm, so enthused by his prior meeting with Pioli, who claims it's vital to have a strong bond, a friendship even, with the head coach, couldn't even make time to attend the presser.

Yep. Much to worry about.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
He's as good as gone. Any moron could hear that in Pioli's voice. He wasn't talking with any conviction when speaking about Herm. It was more of a "I'll fire him when I get moved in and my office set up" type of persona.

Zouk
01-14-2009, 10:32 PM
And Herm, so enthused by his prior meeting with Pioli, who claims it's vital to have a strong bond, a friendship even, with the head coach, couldn't even make time to attend the presser.

This is silly, in my opinion. It's obvious he was told not to attend while they sort through the issues. It would have changed the whole tone if he was in the room.

The Bad Guy
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
This is silly, in my opinion. It's obvious he was told not to attend while they sort through the issues. It would have changed the whole tone if he was in the room.

I believe it's obvious he was told not to attend, which is more reason to believe he's freaking gone.

I don't believe for one second that after the nine-hour discussion last week, that Clark and Scott talked extensively about Herm.

I'm of the belief that his mind is already made up, and the change will happen.

What a glorious week.

DeezNutz
01-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Exactly. It would have been awkward for the out-going head coach to be there. It would have been distracting.

the Talking Can
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Maybe, but something tells me that Herm’s future truly hasn’t been decided yet, that Pioli really might give him the chance. Maybe I’m gullible, but honestly, it looks like Edwards and Pioli have similar views of how to rebuild a team. Sticking my neck out on this one isn’t a terrible bet, because if I’m wrong, we’ll just chock it up as another “L,” but if I’m right, man will I do some bragging. I feel like the guy who took Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson, and hopefully, I’ll be laughing my way to the bank.

It is impossible to accurately describe how fucking stupid this writer is. Talk about cherry picking, and then not even understanding what you've cherry picked.

Pioli was asked what he thought about Herm's plan/philosophy for building a team.

Pioli said (paraphrasing, but close): "I don't know what Herm's plan is.....but I know what mine is and that will be what we follow..."

Pioli couldn't have made it more clear that he doesn't care about Herm, at all. Herm is irrelevant.

StcChief
01-14-2009, 10:40 PM
yep. the read from news conf is that in an NFL PC aformation of AA and terms.....we talked / interviewed and bah...bye....Herm. not our future.

I won't up load Tomestone (Jim Jones) dude like everyone else just assume it is here.

The Bad Guy
01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes, Edwards and Pioli share similar views on how to build a team because Herm is really the only coach to get to build through the draft.

The sad thing is, some pimple-faced retard wrote this tonight and probably thought he'd be up for some award.

Basileus777
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't see it. The tone of the press conference indicated to me that Herm is gone. What was revealing is not what was said; of course Pioli isn;t going to insult Herm, but what was not said. The best thing Pioli had to say about Herm was that he was passionate, he didn't say that he shared a philosophy with Herm even though he had numerous opportunities to do so.

Big Chief Homer
01-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Like I stated in the presser thread, Pioli Stated they were going to start over and build a foundation.

Herm has been saying for 2 years he was bulding a foundation and at the end of this year he said his team was 80 to 90% complete.

If they had any faith in Herm, they would have said they were going to build on what Herm has started.

Tribal Warfare
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
He's as good as gone. Any moron could hear that in Pioli's voice. He wasn't talking with any conviction when speaking about Herm. It was more of a "I'll fire him when I get moved in and my office set up" type of persona.

Yep The "we'll talk to him" line pretty much conveys that Herm is a goner

KChiefs1
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
WPI just throws stuff up against the wall to see what sticks.

Zouk
01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Like I stated in the presser thread, Pioli Stated they were going to start over and build a foundation.

Herm has been saying for 2 years he was bulding a foundation and at the end of this year he said his team was 80 to 90% complete.

If they had any faith in Herm, they would have said they were going to build on what Herm has started.

Agree 100%. Although I wouldn't say Pioli doesn't have faith in Herm - I think they just have different philosophies and come from different backgrounds/coaching trees and will want completely different types of rosters.

DeezNutz
01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Pioli = "this isn't an ego thing."

Let's isolate this statement, which Scott says is very important to the way that he conducts business. Now, does this sound like Herm? Do he and Pioli sound like kindred spirits?

FringeNC
01-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Pioli is the one GM hire that doomed Herm, for a couple reasons:

- Pioli has the clout to get what he wants from Clark
- Pioli has a distinct philosophy on how to build a football team, which is more than just acquiring good players. Herm is a players' coach/motivational guy, which is NOT consistent with the Pioli's philosophy

What was important during the press conference was not what Pioli said about Herm, but was what Pioli said about building a winning franchise, and the type of player he wanted.

Mr. Kotter
01-14-2009, 10:52 PM
And you laughed at me when I said the same thing. :harumph:

:p

Count Alex's Losses
01-14-2009, 10:53 PM
WPI just throws stuff up against the wall to see what sticks.

Uh, it's just Pat's opinion. If Herm is fired I'm sure it won't break his heart.

L.A. Chieffan
01-14-2009, 10:58 PM
whatever happens as long as that ratfuckingpieceoffuckshit gunther is gone ill be ok

L.A. Chieffan
01-14-2009, 10:58 PM
and krumrie too. fuck that scrodumsucker

TinyEvel
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey, I don't mind if Pioli keeps Herm...

AS A SCOUT!

blueballs
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I wondered what happened to that SNL character

Brock
01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Who's "Pat"?

Count Alex's Losses
01-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Who's "Pat"?

Do you really care?

Really?

Brock
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Do you really care?

Really?

That's what I'm trying to figure out, why anyone should.

Basileus777
01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
As long as we keep Dick Curl I am satisfied.

Count Alex's Losses
01-14-2009, 11:32 PM
That's what I'm trying to figure out, why anyone should.

So in essence I really shouldn't engage you whatsoever.

blueballs
01-14-2009, 11:32 PM
------T------

Brock
01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
So in essence I really shouldn't engage you whatsoever.

That I definitely don't care about.

Count Alex's Losses
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
That I definitely don't care about.

Perhaps you should put me on ignore.

Brock
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Perhaps you should put me on ignore.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Count Alex's Losses
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
I can't bring myself to put you on ignore, Brock. When you're not being an utter asshole to people I enjoy your posts.

Basileus777
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
This is getting a little wierd.

Skip Towne
01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
High school newspapers have more household names than WPI.

Who is Pat? And why do I give a **** what he has to say?

Is he 28 and live in the basement too?

I'm guessing Pat is some third rate journalist wannabe like the rest of them.

okcchief
01-14-2009, 11:49 PM
I believe if he wanted Herm they would have made that decision before the press conference. There is probably a slight chance they will retain him but I really can't see it happening. If he does, we will have to trust Pioli I guess.

Dave Lane
01-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Herm not being at the PC is huge. No way he sticks around. Or Pioli is a complete fool.

jjchieffan
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Can somebody please ban Claythan's sig priviges until he removes his WPI pimpimg post? It's not like any of us lend any credibility to anyone dumb enough to post such a suck up post to Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan.

Count Alex's Losses
01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Can somebody please ban Claythan's sig priviges until he removes his WPI pimpimg post? It's not like any of us lend any credibility to anyone dumb enough to post such a suck up post to Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan.

I'll take it down just because you're cool.

Dylan
01-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Herm and his coaching staff were 6-26 in the last two years. The worst record in Chiefs history.

Pioli will clean house.

Full stop.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Why would the Chiefs waste time? If Pioli was set on firing Herm, he would be gone. When have the Pats ever worried about looking sympathetic?

This is a silly notion.

Plus, the writer is correct, Pioli and Herm do, in fact, believe in many of the same things.

I think Herm will be let go, but I do think that they are really still evaluating him at this point.

Lex Luthor
01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
As others have already said, it was pretty clear in the press conference that Pioli is going to fire Herm. He just wants to take his time and do it in such a way as to allow Herm to keep his dignity.

Then Herm will be gone. My guess is the firing will be announced next Wednesday.

beach tribe
01-15-2009, 08:18 AM
This is no different than all the "Pioli not headed for KC" shit.

Goodbye Herm. I hasn't been real, It hasn't been fun, and it sure as hell hasn't been real fun.

sparkky
01-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm thinking they can play the "evaluation" angle with Herm and contend he was "interviewed" for the HC job. This could give Pioli the green light to hire who ever he wants as coach and not waste his time faking an interview with some one he has no intentions of hiring just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

crazycoffey
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Why would the Chiefs waste time? If Pioli was set on firing Herm, he would be gone. When have the Pats ever worried about looking sympathetic?

This is a silly notion.

Plus, the writer is correct, Pioli and Herm do, in fact, believe in many of the same things.

I think Herm will be let go, but I do think that they are really still evaluating him at this point.

This

Frosty
01-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Pioli said Herm was a great guy. He never said he was a great coach. Pioli said Herm got his guys to play hard. He never said Herm got the guys to play well or smartly.

Herm's gone.

smittysbar
01-15-2009, 08:53 AM
I liked it when they asked Clark about him having the final say so on Herm, and he looked up a little strange and said we will be reevaluating that together. Or something like that.

TEX
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm thinking they can play the "evaluation" angle with Herm and contend he was "interviewed" for the HC job. This could give Pioli the green light to hire who ever he wants as coach and not waste his time faking an interview with some one he has no intentions of hiring just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

doesn't count if the HC is still under contract...

Fish
01-15-2009, 09:07 AM

This is a silly notion.

Finally.... something sensible from you....

jAZ
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
My guess is that Pioli and Clark both like and respect Herm and ...
...I feel he's being genuine when he says he's going to talk to Herm and evaluate the situation.
(and will be) talking through the issues and pointing out areas where their philosophies are different, and parting amicably.
The above is my though using your words.
(they)are trying to work the transition in such a way as to not make him look bad.

In that it's not Pioli walking in right away and saying fire this idiot...
I think that's ultimately what's going to happen, but my distinction is that such an outcome is not predetermined.

I guess I'm saying, Pioli isn't trying to make it look good for Herm. He's doing the right thing for the right reasons, because he's thorough and carefully getting to know Herm makes the decision a more robust, better informed and more certain one. It's not a whitewash for a friend, but just "part of the process"

jAZ
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM

This is a silly notion.

Yes, that's exactly right.

From everything I've read, he's dilligent and throurough in gathering information. To think that Pioli would throw out the window the very methodical process that has defined his career, when he's making the most important single decsion in his entire career, is... IMO... a completely foolish assessment.

Basileus777
01-15-2009, 09:39 AM
The most dangerous things about keeping for another year is that if we somehow overachieve next year, it becomes very difficult to let him go. One fluke season could easily saddle us with Herm for a few years even though we all know Herm isn't a championship coach.

jAZ
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
The most dangerous things about keeping for another year is that if we somehow overachieve next year, it becomes very difficult to let him go. One fluke season could easily saddle us with Herm for a few years even though we all know Herm isn't a championship coach.

My gut says Pioli isn't keeping Herm. I think Pioli's gut says the same thing to him. But we hired him because he doesn't simply use his gut to make decisions.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Sticking my neck out on this one isn’t a terrible bet, because if I’m wrong, we’ll just chock it up as another “L,” but if I’m right, man will I do some bragging. I feel like the guy who took Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson, and hopefully, I’ll be laughing my way to the bank.
a monkey throws shit against the wall enough times it's bound to stick eventually

hell .... maybe Athan has decided to have a writer take each side of every prediction so he can always have somebody that's right.

writer doesn't know shit, he's just hoping to get lucky so he can brag