View Full Version : Chiefs The Chiefs Salary Cap Situation

KCChiefsFan88
01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
$45 million under the salary cap

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/14/pioli-has-cap-room-to-help-rebuild-chiefs/

The Bad Guy
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Jesus Christ.

I think you'll see 1-2 stud free agents coming here.

Douche Baggins
Yeah we should sign Peppers just for the hell of it!

ChiefsCountry
Chiefs should only spend about 15 to 20 of that.

Gravedigger
01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah he has a big checkbook to cycle through. I'd like to see him snag Gross and Suggs/Scott those would be two elite upgrades for us. I know Haynesworth would be one as well but his asking price is gonna be astronomical.

The Bad Guy
01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah we should sign Peppers just for the hell of it!

If that's the big signing so be it.

However, there's no chance that Carolina doesn't tag him.

StcChief
figure 1/2 if your lucky top spend since others will need money. Surtain gone.... who knows what else.

The Bad Guy
Yeah he has a big checkbook to cycle through. I'd like to see him snag Gross and Suggs/Scott those would be two elite upgrades for us. I know Haynesworth would be one as well but his asking price is gonna be astronomical.

Gross would be a luxury. You can find a RT in rounds 2-4 in this draft.

I'd take Bart Scott and Julius Peppers and then build everything else through the draft.

ChiefsCountry
01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Suggs and resign Derrick Johnson, other than that bunch of a cheap players.

Sam Hall
01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
In keeping with the Sanchez excitement, if the Chiefs address several positions in free agency, it will be less controversial to draft him. I'd rather sign three or four good players than one marquee stud who would take most of the money.

unothadeal
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
The only player is see Pioli possibly signing is Gross. If we don't sign him it's going to be a pretty boring free agency period as usual.

kcchiefsus
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I think that number could go up because of the possible release of guys like Donnie Edwards and/or Patrick Surtain.

Pestilence
01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Sign:

Terrell Suggs DE Ravens
Jason Brown C Ravens
Khalif Barnes OT Jaguars

That fills four spots before the draft even begins.

O-line: Albert/Waters/Brown/Niswanger/Barnes

D-line: Hali/Dorsey/Tank/Suggs

Draft: QB/ILB/OLB/DE/O-line depth/WR

JASONSAUTO
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Gross would be a luxury. You can find a RT in rounds 2-4 in this draft.

I'd take Bart Scott and Julius Peppers and then build everything else through the draft.

this is where im at too

raybec 4
01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Sign:

Terrell Suggs DE Ravens
Jason Brown C Ravens
Khalif Barnes OT Jaguars

Just think, if Pioli is who we hope all of the jokes about drafting a kicker that I was planning to type in here could really be a thing of the past.

ChiefsCountry
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Just think, if Pioli is who we hope all of the jokes about drafting a kicker that I was planning to type in here could really be a thing of the past.

Patriots drafted a kicker.

raybec 4
01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Patriots drafted a kicker.

Yes, but they didn't cut him before week 3.

blueballs
01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Herm is responsible for this
and for the young team
terrible coach but did the Chefs good

RustShack
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Say we go on a big as spending spree now while we have the money... does that still just totally fuck us cap wise in the future?

Chiefaholic
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
A big chunk of that space will be absorbed with Dorsey's, this years first pick, and next years first pick. Pioli can't take a shit sandwich and turn it into an Angus steak in one season. They need to look at people that'll be in their prime in 3 years.

Stinger
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Say we go on a big as spending spree now while we have the money... does that still just totally fuck us cap wise in the future?

Well as it stands right now I beleive that 2010 will be an uncapped year unless a new agreement is reached. So with that scenerio I don't see how. I may be totally off base though.

Douche Baggins
01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Hell, let's sign Kendrell Bell and Hugh Douglas JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! Hugh has fresh legs.

RustShack
01-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Hell, let's sign Kendrell Bell and Hugh Douglas JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT! Hugh has fresh legs.

Bell might fit our new 3-4 defense :hmmm:

ROFL

Fat Elvis
01-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I think Suggs or Bart Scott are real possibilities. In '96 he was director of Pro Personel for the Ravens; pretty good draft that year with Ogden and Lewis. I'm sure he and Newsome are pretty tight and that if the Ravens were to lose either Suggs or Scott, a good word would be put in regarding Pioli. Couple that with the dough we have to spend (though I think Pioli will be cautious with it) and I think one of them would be pretty excited about becoming an anchor of a defense for a team that will soon be on the rise.

bowener
01-14-2009, 11:05 PM
$45 million under the salary cap

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/14/pioli-has-cap-room-to-help-rebuild-chiefs/

Damn. I knew we were under, but that is about $10 million more than I expected. What is Surtain's cap hit? I have been looking but I am unable to find it. I thoght it was just over $7 million. How much is left of his bonus?

I know it is less than $7 million, but that sets us at $52 million under without figuring in his bonus money.

We dont have to sign big money players if we dont need them just to use the money up, we can use the money to cut ties wiht expensive players who are useless... such as Surtain and LJ, allowing us to eat up their bonus money this season instead of spreading it over 2... if that is the best way to go of course. I dont have the numbers, but I would love to see them.

aturnis
01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Chiefs should only spend about 15 to 20 of that.

Considering we'll cut a few guys and have even more than $45mil, and we can't be more than $30mil under the cap by the start of the next season, I think we'll spend more than that.

aturnis
01-14-2009, 11:15 PM
A big chunk of that space will be absorbed with Dorsey's, this years first pick, and next years first pick. Pioli can't take a shit sandwich and turn it into an Angus steak in one season. They need to look at people that'll be in their prime in 3 years.

That makes no sense. Dorsey's already been paid, and his contract is already figured into this.

Woodrow Call
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Pioli has to be drooling with all that cap room. Plenty of room to take out the trash and upgrade it.

Going to be fun to watch.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Pioli has to be drooling with all that cap room. Plenty of room to take out the trash and upgrade it.

Yep Bye Herm!

Hydrae
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Damn. I knew we were under, but that is about $10 million more than I expected. What is Surtain's cap hit? I have been looking but I am unable to find it. I thoght it was just over $7 million. How much is left of his bonus?

I know it is less than $7 million, but that sets us at $52 million under without figuring in his bonus money.

We dont have to sign big money players if we dont need them just to use the money up, we can use the money to cut ties wiht expensive players who are useless... such as Surtain and LJ, allowing us to eat up their bonus money this season instead of spreading it over 2... if that is the best way to go of course. I dont have the numbers, but I would love to see them.

That is an interesting idea. This would free up a lot of cap room starting in 2010 as well. With that being an unknown situation with the end of the CBA coming up, this really could set the Chiefs up to react quickly to whatever the new agreement allows. Use this year to continue the young development while Pioli gathers and solidifies things from the top for a solid foundation in the office and on the field. Then have a full purse, an unknown CBA to work with and the coaches, etc in place to take it all forward for years to come.

Valiant
01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Say we go on a big as spending spree now while we have the money... does that still just totally **** us cap wise in the future?

Not if it is done smartly.. Take use of our extra space this year and give big front loaded contracts and then throw in some incentive clauses to keep them hungry..

Hoover
01-14-2009, 11:40 PM
I think we need to put some major pieces in place. Depending on the defense we are going to implement, I'd pony up the dough for Albert Haynesworth. That addition could help Dorsey be the playmaker we thought we drafted and help the pass rush.

I imagine the solid FAs will be an offensive lineman, big ticket DL like Haynesworth or top DE, LB, and maybe a kicker like Gould.

bowener
01-14-2009, 11:42 PM

All that, and he is following Carl... he has an easy act to follow. If he can sign appropriate star/good players, and plug them in with this youth to turn this team around in one season (like the Phins, hopefully with a playoff win though), he knows he will be seen as a God in Chiefs nation.

AFC West can be called the wild west again(maybe spaghetti west), we have the good (Pioli), the bad (smith), and the ugly (davis).

jjchieffan
01-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Well as it stands right now I beleive that 2010 will be an uncapped year unless a new agreement is reached. So with that scenerio I don't see how. I may be totally off base though.

Why do people keep talking about 2010 as an uncapped year like it is actually going to happen? The NFLPA and the owners will work out a new CBA before it is too late. They know better than to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

bowener
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
That is an interesting idea. This would free up a lot of cap room starting in 2010 as well. With that being an unknown situation with the end of the CBA coming up, this really could set the Chiefs up to react quickly to whatever the new agreement allows. Use this year to continue the young development while Pioli gathers and solidifies things from the top for a solid foundation in the office and on the field. Then have a full purse, an unknown CBA to work with and the coaches, etc in place to take it all forward for years to come.

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to eat big contracts if we need to. Gives us a chance at a clean slate, so to speak.

Thig Lyfe
01-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Me want Suggs.

kstater
01-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Jordan Gross is going to want Pro Bowl LT money, considering he's a Pro Bowl LT. A lot of money invested for a RT(be it Albert or Gross that's moved).

Mecca
01-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Why do people keep talking about 2010 as an uncapped year like it is actually going to happen? The NFLPA and the owners will work out a new CBA before it is too late. They know better than to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

The last time Clark Hunt was on the radio Petro asked him a question about it and he said he expects it to be an uncapped year.

rad
01-15-2009, 04:56 AM
I think we need to put some major pieces in place. Depending on the defense we are going to implement, I'd pony up the dough for Albert Haynesworth. That addition could help Dorsey be the playmaker we thought we drafted and help the pass rush.

I imagine the solid FAs will be an offensive lineman, big ticket DL like Haynesworth or top DE, LB, and maybe a kicker like Gould.

Dorsey, Haynesworth, Babin

Hali, DJ, Scott, Suggs

Morgan, Page

Flowers, Carr

beach tribe
01-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Dorsey, Haynesworth, Babin

Hali, DJ, Scott, Suggs

Morgan, Page

Flowers, Carr

Turk, Haynesworth, Dorsey

Hali, DJ, Scott, Suggs

Morgan, Page

Flwers, Carr

DaKCMan AP
01-15-2009, 06:35 AM
IMO, Gross and Scott are overrated and will be overpaid.

Grab Suggs and some lower-key guys like Devery Henderson or Jabar Gaffney. You can grab a RT or C and a LB in the draft.

MahiMike
01-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Sign:

Terrell Suggs DE Ravens
Jason Brown C Ravens
Khalif Barnes OT Jaguars

Stay VERY far away from Khalif Barnes!

KCChiefsFan88
01-15-2009, 07:30 AM
The only player is see Pioli possibly signing is Gross. If we don't sign him it's going to be a pretty boring free agency period as usual.

It may be boring if you are looking for the Chiefs to go after a big name like Julius Peppers, but the Chiefs will be active in free agency, in terms of quantity.

Didn't the Patriots sign over 20 free agents (mostly mid-level free agents) during Pioli/Belicheck's first year in New England?

KCChiefsFan88
01-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Jeff Saturday is a guy the Chiefs should target... especially if the Chiefs go with a rookie QB.

Having a veteran center is important with a rookie QB.

EyePod
01-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Gross would be fucking awesome. Would we move Brandon over to RT? I'm sure he'd be more at home run blocking with all of his guard experience.

EyePod
01-15-2009, 07:35 AM

Grab Suggs and some lower-key guys like Devery Henderson or Jabar Gaffney. You can grab a RT or C and a LB in the draft.

I think Suggs is gonna be huge money. Higher than Gross. And he would have a transition from a 3-4 to a 4-3. What about Ray Lewis?

DaKCMan AP
01-15-2009, 07:39 AM
I think Suggs is gonna be huge money. Higher than Gross. And he would have a transition from a 3-4 to a 4-3. What about Ray Lewis?

Yes, Suggs will be huge money but IMO he's the only player in FA worth mega $$$. Ray Lewis? He'll be 34 before the start of next season. No thanks.

the Talking Can
01-15-2009, 07:40 AM

actually, along the lines of value signings, I'd like to see us sign someone like Jason Brown, center for the Ravens

they mentioned during a broadcast that his contract was coming up and he might get lost with Suggs and all the other big name guys they have to sign...

EyePod
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes, Suggs will be huge money but IMO he's the only player in FA worth mega $$$. Ray Lewis? He'll be 34 before the start of next season. No thanks.

I mean if he's not huge money. If he wins the SB, I think he'll retire. But he's definitely still got it. And we need a MLB.....

scott free
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM

I was wondering when someone would talk about a DT, what a disappointment that area was this year...IMO Edwards was the best of the lot this year & that simply wont get it.

Haynesworth would be a coup, but will the Titans part with him? Who else might be available?

I'm not looking for a Big Spree, but that line needs a real kick in the jimmy & not just at DT...i also see a rising, youngish vet DE as an absolute must...the line was just abysmal this year.

In general, i'd like to see most if not all FA money go to the DL & keep drafting for O.

OnTheWarpath58
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Clark said today with Soren Petro that he expects to be more involved in FA then in past years, but not necessarily Tier 1 FA's. With Pioli's history, much more likely to be Tier 2/3 FA's.

And Pioli himself even eluded to it yesterday in his presser - he made the comment of how they signed like 20 FA's one year, and gave out a combined $2.5M in signing bonuses.

That means a LOT of lower level guys and UDFA's.

Micjones
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Sign:

Terrell Suggs DE Ravens
Jason Brown C Ravens
Khalif Barnes OT Jaguars

YES, YES, YES!!!

Zouk
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM

Introducing the biggest thing that has been missing the last few years - roster competition. Everyone here a few years ago was saying "why sign free agents - we're going to suck anyway. Let's evaluate the young guys instead" What Pioli understands is that young guys get better when they have to EARN jobs and are not GIVEN them. So those complaining about the Herb Taylors of the world not playing are going to be disappointed.

scott free
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Clark said today with Soren Petro that he expects to be more involved in FA then in past years, but not necessarily Tier 1 FA's. With Pioli's history, much more likely to be Tier 2/3 FA's.

And Pioli himself even eluded to it yesterday in his presser - he made the comment of how they signed like 20 FA's one year, and gave out a combined $2.5M in signing bonuses.

Yeah, if he sticks to the 'Patriot Way' i'm getting my hopes too high about a couple of known studs, though they did occasionally bring in a few star geezers with varying amounts of tread left...for the right $ of course.

But pretty much whatever he wants to do is fine with me...save us Scott Pioli, your our only hope.