PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Would Herm be as bad under Pioli vs under Peterson?

SNR
01-15-2009, 02:25 AM
If Pioli actually did keep Herm, he would likely be active in knowing what's going on with the way Herm coaches and gets his team together. We know Herm makes his players try hard, but Pioli wants a coach who can get all his players to play on the same page.

I think Herm actually DOES improve as a coach by simply changing his team philosophy to the kind of team Pioli wants to build up. Secondly, guys like Gunther and Dick Curl will DISAPPEAR.

Are there better candidates out there? Of course there are. Are things going to be as bad as they were if Herm is kept? I really don't think so. They might even be good.

Count Alex's Losses
01-15-2009, 02:29 AM
I'll be honest, there's a tiny part of me that really wants to see what Herm could do with a different GM.

Then there's the other part which realizes he's madly in love with guys like Gunther and Dick Curl.

Mecca
01-15-2009, 02:33 AM
No GM is going to change how he coaches on gameday...

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2009, 02:34 AM
If Pioli actually did keep Herm, he would likely be active in knowing what's going on with the way Herm coaches and gets his team together. We know Herm makes his players try hard, but Pioli wants a coach who can get all his players to play on the same page.

I think Herm actually DOES improve as a coach by simply changing his team philosophy to the kind of team Pioli wants to build up. Secondly, guys like Gunther and Dick Curl will DISAPPEAR.

Are there better candidates out there? Of course there are. Are things going to be as bad as they were if Herm is kept? I really don't think so. They might even be good.

You know where I stand on this.

Herm is not a bad coach if he gets put in the right situation.

That being said, while he's not a bad coach, he's also not a Super Bowl coach nor is he a coach that would fit in with Pioli. He's a career 9-7 coach at best.

This team will improve regardless of who's coaching. But if we have the best GM, we can get the best head coach on the market, and that's probably Spagnuolo.

booger
01-15-2009, 02:43 AM
i don't care, i don't want to find out.

RustShack
01-15-2009, 02:46 AM
If Pioli hires a good OC, DC, position coaches, and training staff it might not be too bad... I would still rather upgrade the HC position.

booger
01-15-2009, 02:46 AM
I'll be honest, I drink kiwi flavored wine coolers and love going to super gay rainbow parties .

sicko

SNR
01-15-2009, 02:48 AM
You know where I stand on this.
Who are you?

booger
01-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Who are you?

some type of herm relation

noa
01-15-2009, 02:50 AM

Yeah, unless Piioli strips Herm of any clock management duties, replay challenging duties, and 4th down decisions, I think we would still be mightly flusterated.

BigRock
01-15-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't think the idea of Herm without Gun and Curl and those guys is actually possible.

If they gutted the coaching staff but kept Herm, who's going to replace all the guys who got fired? Are capable coordinators and assistant coaches going to want to come here knowing that the staff could get wiped out again in a year when a new head coach comes in? Surely that coach is going to want input on his staff.

But let's say there's a list of assistants who are loyal to the cause and ready to throw their current headsets down, walk to Kansas City, and declare their undying alliegence to their dark master Pioli. What would these Pioli-approved guys be doing here, coaching the players to play Herm's brand of football?

If they weren't having the team play Hermball, what purpose would Herm serve? Standing around looking pretty? A Stepford coach?

I guess it would be ideal if Herm was just around to motivate and give speeches and walk the sideline, while all the input on the actual gameplanning and execution was left to Pioli's people. But that doesn't seem too realistic.

Count Alex's Losses
01-15-2009, 03:31 AM
I guess it would be ideal if Herm was just around to motivate and give speeches and walk the sideline, while all the input on the actual gameplanning and execution was left to Pioli's people. But that doesn't seem too realistic.

Herm and Gunther should join the team as male cheerleaders. Hell Herm is a good-looking man he already outclasses most of the current cheerleaders.

BigRock
01-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Hell Herm is a good-looking man he already outclasses most of the current cheerleaders.

I dunno. Several of the current cheerleaders are also good looking men.

PRIEST
01-15-2009, 05:42 AM

:LOL:
This & that 2-26 no way I let Herm Edwards Coach another day much less a new year.

InChiefsHell
01-15-2009, 06:19 AM
I don't think the idea of Herm without Gun and Curl and those guys is actually possible.

If they gutted the coaching staff but kept Herm, who's going to replace all the guys who got fired? Are capable coordinators and assistant coaches going to want to come here knowing that the staff could get wiped out again in a year when a new head coach comes in? Surely that coach is going to want input on his staff.

But let's say there's a list of assistants who are loyal to the cause and ready to throw their current headsets down, walk to Kansas City, and declare their undying alliegence to their dark master Pioli. What would these Pioli-approved guys be doing here, coaching the players to play Herm's brand of football?

If they weren't having the team play Hermball, what purpose would Herm serve? Standing around looking pretty? A Stepford coach?

This.

I mean, I can't imagine Herm saying, "OK, go ahead and gut my staff, I'll be your puppet, just please give me a job..."

Not realistic or healthy IMO. Herm's gone. A new HC will bring in all new staff. This probably means that Gailey's gone as well, but I kinda hope not. No matter what, I'm willing to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt, no matter what he decides.

EyePod
01-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Are you available? I would trust you more than Gun. And I know absolutely nothing about you!

kc rush
01-15-2009, 07:30 AM

I agree that Herm would probably improve with Pioli enforcing his philosophy on the coach, but Pioli would have to essentially babysit Herm to make sure things are being done the right way.

Why not hire a coach that shares the same philosophy so he can concentrate on the player/personnel side of things?

old_geezer
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Would Herm be as bad under Pioli vs under Peterson?

Yes. Herm is a BAD coach. I can't even believe this is still in discussion.

Exhibit A: Dick Curl
Exhibit B: Gunther Cunningham
Exhibit C: Clock management
Exhibit D: 2nd half (non) ability to adjust
Exhibit E: "I just coach; the players have to play." (It's not my fault)

Case closed

MahiMike
01-15-2009, 07:43 AM
You mean as the shoeshine guy? Clearly not as HC. Those days are behind Herm.

tmax63
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
I said early on in this spectacle that it seems like Herm has a good eye for talent and that the players played hard for him clear up until the last game of a 2-14 team. I can see SP keeping him for his talent recognizing ability and let him see thru part 1 of the rebuild. (tear down and gathering young talent) When his contract is not renewed next year they bring a coach who can finish the job and teach the youngsters how to win.

Chiefnj2
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
This.

I mean, I can't imagine Herm saying, "OK, go ahead and gut my staff, I'll be your puppet, just please give me a job..."

Sadly, I can see Herm saying that. He's thrown people under the bus a lot in his career.

beach tribe
01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I said early on in this spectacle that it seems like Herm has a good eye for talent and that the players played hard for him clear up until the last game of a 2-14 team. I can see SP keeping him for his talent recognizing ability and let him see thru part 1 of the rebuild. (tear down and gathering young talent) When his contract is not renewed next year they bring a coach who can finish the job and teach the youngsters how to win.

We have Pioli. We don't need Herm's mythical talent scouting.

BigRedChief
01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
We have Pioli. We don't need Herm's mythical talent scouting.
But Pioli can't manage a game. We would still have to depend on Herm for that.

BigRedChief
01-15-2009, 08:27 AM
A place holder coach? A lame duck? No way. He's either the guy or not.

smittysbar
01-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Herm said in his last press conference that he lets his record speak for itself..............and it does

Skip Towne
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Herm can't be a HC anytime for anybody. He lack the skills to manage a game. Maybe as a scout. Maybe.

TN_Chief
01-15-2009, 08:30 AM
No GM is going to change how he coaches on gameday...A-fucking-men. Folks, we've already seen how Herm coaches under a different GM when he was with the Jets. Herm can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

Skip Towne
01-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Who was the clown who made Herm a HC to begin with? What the hell was he thinking?

Deberg_1990
01-15-2009, 08:32 AM
When Herm was at the top of his game, he only won 10 games.

Think about that.....

No Thanks.

TrebMaxx
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't go away mad Herm, just go away. The sooner the better.

Otter
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Who cares? Why try to polish a turd?

Stupid fucking threads.

el borracho
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
He's a career 9-7 coach at best.

No, he isn't. Herm will never be a career 9-7 coach. He is almost 20 games below .500.

el borracho
01-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I said early on in this spectacle that it seems like Herm has a good eye for talent ...

Oh, how will we ever find gems like Hali and Pollard without Herm Edwards? :deevee:

DJ's left nut
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes.

Do not try to talk yourself into this.

If Pioli retains Herm, it should absolutely undo everything good that has happened this offseason. Herm is a @!#$wit of the highest order and no GM in the world is ever going to change this.

I would actually fall to a state far lower than I would have been had Carl/Herm been retained.

TinyEvel
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM

this.

DJ's left nut
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM

You can't?

That dude's done nothing but lobby for his job for 18 months. He's a car salesman with a big headset.

I can absolutely see him throwing his staff under the bus and even offering to do Clark's dry cleaning if he keeps his job.

Reerun_KC
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes.

Do not try to talk yourself into this.

[b]If Pioli retains Herm, it should absolutely undo everything good that has happened this offseason. Herm is a @!#$wit of the highest order and no GM in the world is ever going to change this.[b]

I would actually fall to a state far lower than I would have been had Carl/Herm been retained.

I agree, it will sure be a huge dampner on future and things to come... Takes the excitement away from the up coming season where we were hoping for some HOPE and excitement....

Frankie
01-15-2009, 09:51 AM
If Herm stays he will have to really shake up his staff. STARTING WITH BOOTING CURL OUT. Trouble is he probably won't get any quality coach to come aboard since he will be regarded as lameduck.

KCChiefsFan88
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Jesus Christ could be the Chiefs GM and Herm would still lose 14 games

Frankie
01-15-2009, 10:49 AM
But Pioli can't manage a game. We would still have to depend on Herm for that.

ROFL

Demonpenz
01-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Pioli could get the players, but herm plays the wrong ones, took injury's to force herms hand into playing thigpen and bowe. It took being being out of the playoffs to stop the predictible safe play calling

DaWolf
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes. We have two guys on this team, Herm and Gunther, who take no accountability for their work and don't hesitate to throw guys under the bus. There is no way they would be successful here...

royr17
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Hell I say bring back Al Saunders, hehe.