PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Warners, Fox settle over 'Watchmen'

KcMizzou
01-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Good news. :thumb:

Warners, Fox settle over 'Watchmen'

Updated: Jan 15, 2009, 08:41 PM ET

Geeks can rejoice.

Warner Bros. and Fox have resolved their dispute over "Watchmen," with the studios scheduled to present a settlement to Judge Gary Feess this morning and request that the case be dismissed.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but the deal is said to involve a sizable cash payment to Fox and a percentage of the film's boxoffice grosses; Fox will not be a co-distributor on the film, nor will it co-own the "Watchmen" property, but it will share in revenue derived from it. The studios released a joint statement last night.

"Warner Bros. acknowledges that Fox acted in good faith in bringing its claims, which were asserted prior to the start of principal photography," the statement read. "Fox acknowledges that Warner Bros. acted in good faith defending against those claims."

Fox sued Warners in February, claiming copyright infringement based on agreements the studio had with producer Larry Gordon. Feess ruled Dec. 24 that Gordon did not secure proper rights to "Watchmen" from Fox before shopping the project and setting it up at Warners.

Feess' decision prompted settlement talks to heat up because Warners faced the prospect of an injunction stopping its March 6 release of the $130 million comic book adaptation.

Gordon is not a party to the case, but Warners is said to be after the producer and his attorneys to reimburse the studio for costs of the settlement. During the litigation, Gordon's then-attorney admitted that he negotiated the producer's 1994 separation from Fox without knowing about a 1991 agreement on which Fox based its lawsuit.

The showdown between studios became particularly nasty during recent weeks, with Gordon and the film's other producer, Lloyd Levin, lashing out at Fox for making a claim on the film.

But with the dispute settled, the statement took a positive tone: "Warner Bros. and Fox, like all 'Watchmen' fans, look forward with great anticipation to this film's March 6 release in theaters."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i2079648bd224e2c8075db99d3217979a

keg in kc
01-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, excellent news.

I'm especially glad the tards at fox won't be able to touch/re-edit the finished film.

Valiant
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Good news. :thumb:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i2079648bd224e2c8075db99d3217979a

Wow that is some horrible crap by Fox.. Hopefully Warner can find a way to screw them over for being such toolbags..

keg in kc
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I read a blog or note from one of the film's producers, and he said that both studios were given the same presentation on the proposed film a few years back, and that fox showed absolutely no interest. So apparently they saw the trailers and read the crowd reactions for the comic conventions where parts of the film were shown last year, and decided they'd better try to cash in, obviously timing it for a period where Warners would have to settle or risk pushing release back until it was resolved.

Underhanded shit.

oaklandhater
01-16-2009, 04:05 PM
I read a blog or note from one of the film's producers, and he said that both studios were given the same presentation on the proposed film a few years back, and that fox showed absolutely no interest. So apparently they saw the trailers and read the crowd reactions for the comic conventions where parts of the film were shown last year, and decided they'd better try to cash in, obviously timing it for a period where Warners would have to settle or risk pushing release back until it was resolved.

Underhanded shit.

I read a report a few weeks ago talking about how fox has one of there worst years ever in 08 with flop after flop I think one of there only successful movies last year was marly and me.

Apparrently alot of directors dont want to work for fox because of all the interfering

Fox supposly really butchered Maxpayne and Babylon A.D, last year

keg in kc
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Apparrently alot of directors dont want to work for fox because of all the interferingYeah, they have a really bad reputation for that. Aren't many fans of Tom Rothman out there.

oaklandhater
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
more proof that fox cant keep there nose out of shit

Rumor has it X-Men Origins: Wolverine is going through extensive, pull-out-all-the-stops re-shoots. Plus, veteran director Richard Donner has been spotted moseying around the set. Is Wolverine getting another pair of eyes?

Fox is putting everyone back on set, according to Collider. The whole movie is getting a huge makeover, which is terrifying considering the all of the stories about unhappiness between director Gavin Hood and Fox execs, including that report that the studio came in and repainted a key set behind Hood's back.

If the reports are true, the reshoots could mean one of two things: Fox is serious about making real money and wants to compete with the big comic-book movies. Which could mean taking the whole project much more seriously, making the storyline darker, or just adding much more brutal ass-kickery. On the other hand, all this new attention could mean that everyone sees how terrible the film looks, and they're desperately trying to bail out a sinking ship.

Baby Lee
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
more proof that fox cant keep there nose out of shit

Rumor has it X-Men Origins: Wolverine is going through extensive, pull-out-all-the-stops re-shoots. Plus, veteran director Richard Donner has been spotted moseying around the set. Is Wolverine getting another pair of eyes?

Fox is putting everyone back on set, according to Collider. The whole movie is getting a huge makeover, which is terrifying considering the all of the stories about unhappiness between director Gavin Hood and Fox execs, including that report that the studio came in and repainted a key set behind Hood's back.

If the reports are true, the reshoots could mean one of two things: Fox is serious about making real money and wants to compete with the big comic-book movies. Which could mean taking the whole project much more seriously, making the storyline darker, or just adding much more brutal ass-kickery. On the other hand, all this new attention could mean that everyone sees how terrible the film looks, and they're desperately trying to bail out a sinking ship.

The trailer largely left me cold, though it was a cool touch when Liev grinned/snarled and revealed Sabretooth's sabreteeth.

keg in kc
01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
The trailer largely left me cold, though it was a cool touch when Liev grinned/snarled and revealed Sabretooth's sabreteeth.I wasn't all that impressed with it, either.

oaklandhater
01-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I wasn't all that impressed with it, either.

the only thing that impressed me was the fact that deadpool is in it Deadpool is a badass

Swanman
01-16-2009, 07:33 PM
the only thing that impressed me was the fact that deadpool is in it Deadpool is a badass

Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit Gambit

I think I've made my point.

KcMizzou
01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
LMAOLMAO

Confused 'Watchmen' Fanatics Mob A Terrified Michael Jackson At Local Book Store

By Seth, 11:17 AM on Fri Jan 9 2009, 14,306 views

Spotted at a Hollywood book store yesterday buying a boxed-set of his own music, Michael Jackson doused rumors he's gravely ill by sporting only a skimpy, single-layer face mask and bogeyman cloak.

Patrons instantly took notice of the faceless figure in a fedora and raincoat thumbing through a The Art of WALL·E coffee table book, and mistook the deposed pop monarch for inkblot-faced Watchmen vigilante Rorschach. Squealing fans quickly mobbed the singer, who despite being baffled by their queries of "Omigod I love you—is The Comedian here too?!" was happy to oblige their autograph requests just the same.

http://defamer.com/5127546/confused-watchmen-fanatics-mob-a-terrified-michael-jackson-at-local-book-store

Bowser
01-17-2009, 06:22 PM
"Who the fuck is Michael Jackson? You're RORSCHACH!"

keg in kc
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Jesus, they just ruined the movie for me. I didn't want to know who Rorschach was. Fuckers.

KcMizzou
01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nd5cInmK6LQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nd5cInmK6LQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>