PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Grand Torino

Gracie Dean
01-17-2009, 01:52 AM
the best movie I have seen in a while!!!

it was very awesome

Gran Torino

thanks for the spelling check

DaneMcCloud
01-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Gran Torino

Guru
01-17-2009, 01:53 AM
It's Gran.

Kyle DeLexus
01-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Meh...after hearing about it from a friend I expected better. It would have been very good if I hadn't had high expectations.

kcfanXIII
01-17-2009, 02:46 AM
enjoyed it very much. ending caught me off guard but really made the movie though.

SnakeXJones
01-17-2009, 02:50 AM
I loved the movie but only problem i had with it was the kid that played Thao acting was just terrible.

kysirsoze
01-17-2009, 03:44 AM
Clint was good but the rest of the acting (especially the two kids) was horrible. The script had it's moments but was pretty cheesy. All in all not a great movie for Clint to go out on. (He retired from acting in case anyone wasn't aware.)

whatsmynameagain
01-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I loved the movie but only problem i had with it was the kid that played Thao acting was just terrible.

the acting was kind of bad, BUT it almost seemed after awhile thats just the way they are?

definately a good movie. would have had a hard time watching it in the theatres without laughing outload at certain parts, "WHAT ARE YOU FISH HEADS LOOKING AT."

i was lucky enough to see this movie almost a month ago. my gf's cousin has some crazy way of getting high quality movies before they hit the theatre.

bishop_74
01-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Yech... looks like Bridges of Madison County meets The Substitute. So isn't it about an old guy in a neighborhood full of misguided youths that he befriends, and in the end everyone cries and hugs? No thanks.

RockChalk
01-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I thought it was pretty damn good. Definitely had some laugh out loud moments.

jjchieffan
01-17-2009, 09:55 AM
This needs to be in the media section. We can't be filling up the front page with stuff like this.

Crybaby Power
01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I want to see this movie really bad. I've heard nothing but good about it.

The Rick
01-17-2009, 11:26 AM
The cop in this movie is the younger brother of a friend of mine from high school. It's crazy to see him on the big screen when I just remember him as the kid who stole my friends car, nearly totaled it, then parked it back in the driveway and pretended like he didn't know what happened to it. :)

blueballs
01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Did David Soul and Paul Michael Glazer
make cameos

Agent V
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Yech... looks like Bridges of Madison County meets The Substitute. So isn't it about an old guy in a neighborhood full of misguided youths that he befriends, and in the end everyone cries and hugs? No thanks.
Actually, that's not what happens at all.

aturnis
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Just watched it in the comfort of my own living room the other night. Great movie. Makes me want to see more of his recent stuff like:

Letters To Iwa Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Blood Work
Space Cowboys

Anyone know if any of these are any good?

Miles
01-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Just watched it in the comfort of my own living room the other night. Great movie. Makes me want to see more of his recent stuff like:

Letters To Iwa Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Blood Work
Space Cowboys

I thought Letters From Iwo Jima is one of Eastwoods better efforts. Million Dollar Baby won Best Picture but I didn't quite think it lived up to the hype despite being quite good.

The other two are worth a rent but nothing special.

Dave Lane
01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Meh...after hearing about it from a friend I expected better. It would have been very good if I hadn't had high expectations.

I agree it was OK not my favorite Clint film at all.

Course this is :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XP9cfQx2OZY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XP9cfQx2OZY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Brock
01-17-2009, 02:05 PM

Letters To Iwa Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Blood Work
Space Cowboys

Space Cowboys is laughably bad. The rest of them are all right to pretty good.

bishop_74
01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
LINK (http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/1569/page/cale_s____worst_films_of_____.html)

Remove Clint Eastwood from the equation, and what you’d be left with is a half-assed effort so predictable and pointless that few audiences would survive to the midway point. With him, it’s still a disaster, but with the added bonus of watching a cinematic legend spit epithets at everyone not nailed down. Dirty Harry as George Wallace, and who on earth could resist his charms? By far the year’s most entertaining “important” movie, it would be dishonest to overlook its flaws, which color even the more riotous sequences with a light coat of hackery. No matter; Eastwood’s presence alone makes this a glorious ride, complete with more chuckles per square inch than anything Hollywood burped forth all season. Even the non-actors, cast to lend authenticity to the proceedings, are so bad that they make Clint a stand-in for Laurence Olivier by comparison. Fully intentional, no doubt. Clearing away the brush and bramble, this is two hours of grunting, groaning, squinting, sneering, and teeth-grinding, and not an ounce of actual character development. And Clint’s ********? The one that’s meant to be nobility and self-sacrifice personified? I’m still wiping away grateful tears, earned not by sentiment, but the hilarity only good intentions can provide.

Miles
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
You should probably spoiler tag that.

bishop_74
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
You should probably spoiler tag that.

I was absent that day in class. Couldn't figure out how to do it so I just bleeped it out. Good call.

aturnis
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
LINK (http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/1569/page/cale_s____worst_films_of_____.html)

Do you read reviews from this pretentious asshole on the regular? I mean...fuck this dude. If you listen to him, every movie ever sucks. The only ones that are any good, are apparently all documentaries.

BTW, he also put Gran Torino in his top 10 best movies of the year.

J Diddy
01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I was absent that day in class. Couldn't figure out how to do it so I just bleeped it out. Good call.
[spoiler][/spoiler ]

remove the space after the r and use it just like quote tags

cardken
01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Space Cowboys is laughably bad. The rest of them are all right to pretty good.

Loved Space Cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deberg_1990
06-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Just watched this.

It was pretty good overall, but slightly overrated. Clint was basically playing a retired verson of Dirty Harry/Gunny Highway

Hes still da man though. Nobody plays pissed off quite like Clint.

The kid actors were pretty amaturish, but i guess thats what he wanted. Overall, 3 stars out of 4.

Reaper16
06-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Do you read reviews from this pretentious asshole on the regular? I mean...fuck this dude. If you listen to him, every movie ever sucks. The only ones that are any good, are apparently all documentaries.

BTW, he also put Gran Torino in his top 10 best movies of the year.
I agree with Cale more often than not. And I agree with him especially on the subject of Gran Torino. It is a dreadul, schlocky, ham-handed, obvious mess of a movie... but its also damn entertaining somehow just the same.

Baby Lee
06-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Another patented noswad 'I made a poopy' thread.

JOY!!!

http://members.cox.net/jsbaker55/pics/ren-n-stimpy.gif

RedNeckRaider
06-13-2009, 02:18 PM

If you are talking about the kid he protects yes it was painful. Not a bad movie but nothing special IMO

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Watched it this evening from the Red Box. Enjoyable. Clint's always watchable, so it was worth the $1.

The kids were pretty bad, though.l

Deberg_1990
06-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Watched it this evening from the Red Box. Enjoyable. Clint's always watchable, so it was worth the $1.

The kids were pretty bad, though.l

Really, the only decent thing about the movie was Clint.

Oh, and that cool car.

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Really, the only decent thing about the movie was Clint.

Oh, and that cool car.

Nine hours ago you said "pretty good overall" and now you're saying the only decent thing about it was Clint?

KcMizzou
06-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Another patented noswad 'I made a poopy' thread.

JOY!!!

http://members.cox.net/jsbaker55/pics/ren-n-stimpy.gif

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqGsxwQpa_g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqGsxwQpa_g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

badgirl
06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
the best movie I have seen in a while!!!

it was very awesome

Gran Torino

thanks for the spelling check

I just watched that last night, it was a awsome movie, I agree.:thumb:

Deberg_1990
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Nine hours ago you said "pretty good overall" and now you're saying the only decent thing about it was Clint?

Yea,....Clint elevated the material to 'Pretty good overall"

Everything else in that movie was ordinary. Clints star power carried the whole thing.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I liked the Asian girl, but the boy was absolutely dreadful. He'll never be seen again I don't think. I liked the movie, but was disappointed with the end. It came together, and I may not have liked it as well if I'd gotten the ending I expected. It was good, but not as good as I expected it would be.

Although it was way better than the abortion of a movie we tried to watch last night. Paul Blart. That was fucking terrible.

DeezNutz
06-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Just watched the Dark Knight this evening for the first time. Yeah, I know.

Very, very overrated.

Flame away.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Very, very overrated.

Flame away.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Of course I watch maybe 6-8 movies a year. Netflix and blu ray have me watching more but I tend to be picky as shit. I thought Ledger's performance was incredible.

DeezNutz
06-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Of course I watch maybe 6-8 movies a year. Netflix and blu ray have me watching more but I tend to be picky as shit. I thought Ledger's performance was incredible.

It was good, and so was Ledger. But his untimely death overhyped the thing.

I thought it was a bit too long, to be honest. On a scale of 1-10. Hmm...8.

KcFanInGA
06-14-2009, 12:42 AM
I liked it, but it was hyped to me a bit too much. Agree with pretty bad acting by the kids, Thao in particular. I thought Eastwood and the guy that played the priest were good though. Overall, I enjoyed it and would watch it again. "What the hell are you spooks doin?" threw me a little, and I like Eastwood shooting at dudes with his fingers, that's classic.

KcFanInGA
06-14-2009, 12:43 AM

Very, very overrated.

Flame away.

I enjoyed Dark Knight, except for Bale talking like he just got throat pounded by John Holmes. I thought the cinematography was way above average though.

blaise
06-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Very, very overrated.

Flame away.

I agree.

Archie F. Swin
06-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I highly recommend Gran Torino

"Puss-Cake"

Skip Towne
06-14-2009, 07:43 PM
The old Clint Eastwood is my hero. I want to grow up to be just like him.

Frazod
06-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Very, very overrated.

Flame away.

Agreed.

Still very good, but not "all that." And I like Batman Begins better.

And Ironman is better than both of them. So there. :harumph:

As for Gran Torino, just watched it tonight. I liked it a lot.

Deberg_1990
06-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Agreed.

Still very good, but not "all that." And I like Batman Begins better.

And Ironman is better than both of them. So there. :harumph:

As for Gran Torino, just watched it tonight. I liked it a lot.

YOu crazy! :)

KevB
06-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Very, very overrated.

Flame away.

You should have gone to see it in IMAX. I walked out thinking it was arguably the best movie going experience I've had. I thought the movie was outstanding, and IMAX took it over the top.

RedNeckRaider
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
The old Clint Eastwood is my hero. I want to grow up to be just like him.

Younger and beeter looking? :)