PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Practice Rpt. Day 1

Brock
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Bowl practice report, Day 1 Story Highlights

By Tony Pauline, TFYDraft.com

The 2009 Senior Bowl kicked off in earnest Monday morning, as 104 players weighed in for NFL scouts and then participated in practice. Several high-profile players are taking part in this year's event -- one of the most important weeks of scouting leading up to April's NFL Draft. And a number of those well-known names started the week slowly. Here are the players who helped themselves during the Senior Bowl's first day and those who did not fare as well:

Risers
BJ Raji/DT/Boston College: The Eagles' massive interior lineman was almost unblockable throughout the day in the North's practice. Raji displayed a very quick first step off the snap, which gave offensive linemen fits. He made it harder on his opponents by swatting blockers to the ground as they were left wondering how he got by them so easily.

Shawn Nelson/TE/Southern Mississippi: Nelson looked formidable during weigh-ins this morning, then took his athletic frame onto the field and impressed scouts. He's fluid moving around the field and fast -- very fast. Nelson was constantly beating opponents in the secondary and made a number of good plays in the secondary.

Cullen Harper/QB/Clemson: The Tigers quarterback was much maligned during the season and at one point was benched for poor play. On Monday, he showed the reason why scouts were so high on him coming into the season. Harper displayed poise, threw with accuracy and made good decisions in the pocket. He tossed several nice deep passes, connecting with USC's Patrick Turner for a long gainer of 40 yards in one instance.

Darius Butler/CB/Connecticut: Butler stood head and shoulders above all other cornerbacks from the North squad in Day 1. The former Husky was very smooth in coverage and used his athleticism and size to deny opponents a chance at the ball. None of the North wide receivers was able to shake Butler throughout the entire practice.

Rashad Jennings/RB/Liberty: Jennings is the top small school player in Mobile this week and proved as much in Day 1. His 234-pound frame looked impressive this morning during weigh-ins, then Jennings looked athletic and fast on the field at practice. He has a burst through the hole and looks frighteningly powerful running in the open field. Jennings also caught the ball well and stood out in blocking drills.

Mike Thomas/WR/Arizona: Scouts compare Thomas to All-Pro Steve Smith in style and the Arizona senior was one of the top receivers on the field on Monday. He ran crisp pass routes and had cornerbacks twisting in the wind in their attempt to stay with him on the field. Thomas also displayed solid hand and natural pass catching skills. His size (5-foot-8) will discourage teams from using an early selection on Thomas, but he proved today he can play with the best.

Ashlee Palmer/LB/Mississippi: Palmer was a bit of a surprise invitation to the Senior Bowl yet proved Monday he is worthy of a spot in the event. Palmer practiced with a lot of explosion, quickness and strength. He also aggressively chased the action and worked hard in every single aspect.

Sliders
Rey Maualuga/LB/USC: Maualuga looked rusty today, both physically and mentally. He's not in the best of shape and was very hesitant to make decisions on the field. Maualuga seemed to get his bearings as the day proceeded, but his play was not reminiscent of a potential top-five pick.

Pat White/QB/West Virginia: Scouts wanted to give White a chance to prove he can play quarterback at the next level, but the early returns have not been positive. White struggled throwing the ball. White was not accurate, could not drive deep passes even though he was throwing with the wind; and at this point, he looks like a college signal caller who may be better off at a different position in the NFL.

Graham Harrell/QB/Texas Tech: Harrell displayed good mechanics in Day 1 lining up under center after taking most of his snaps in college out of the shotgun. He was also relatively accurate. The problem for Harrell is poor arm strength as his passes had relatively no zip and he was unable to drive deep passes.

William Moore/S/Missouri: Moore has been labeled as a run defending safety with poor coverage skills and did nothing to shake that reputation on Monday. He struggled moving laterally and at one point was left lying on the ground after attempting to cover a receiver from the North squad.

the Talking Can
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
oh my god it's back

sweet

ChiefsCountry
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
I have liked Harper for sometime now. If for some reason that Stafford and Sanchez arent available, I like Harper in the later rounds.

mylittlepony
01-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Wow Raji doing great is very impressive considdering the Centers in this draft class. If he is able to manhandle the two best centers to come out in a decade that should say alot about his ability.

Chiefnj2
01-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Monday North practice notes:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/North-119.php

Monday South practice notes:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-119.php

Chiefnj2
01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
gbnreport.com (Monday - North)

Monday Afternoon North Practice: Both the North and South teams practiced at the same time today and I chose to go to the North practice. Practice only lasted 90 minutes and there were multiple drills going on so I didnít get a look at everyone. Iíd like to get a better look at everyone before I offer an opinion on someone, but thatís no fun for our readers so here is what caught my eye today. Western Michigan DB Louis Delmas was agile and confident today and more than held his own. Missouri DB William Moore fell once during a drill for defensive backs, but looked big and fast before that so weíll see if he can recover from that stumble. Oregon DB Patrick Chung dropped a ball today and didnít show much agility to further hurt his stock. DB Mike Mickens of Cincinnati didnít look as quick as his teammate DB DeAngleo Smith and was burned for a touchdown when Washington State WR Brandon Gibson just ran past him. As you can tell I spent most of my time watching the defensive backs and a bit of the wide receivers. However, I was really impressed in the short amount of time I watched Boston College DT B.J. Raji. Tomorrow Iíll definitely spend more time watching him as he blew up the interior linemen in front of him multiple times. Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew made a tough catch with a defender bumping him all over the field. Cal Poly WR Ramses Barden takes awhile to get to top speed, but the kid is a specimen at 6-6, 227. Oklahoma WR Juaquin Iglesias runs a little unusual and had a drop and a fumble today. The former number one high school recruit in the nation, WR Derrick Williams of Penn State, showed he shouldnít be overlooked as he seemed to stop on a dime when going full speed and beat DBs deep on multiple occasions. He had my eye more than any other receiver today for sure. Virginia Tech DB Macho Harris looked a step behind his peers today and was beat deep by Ohio State WR Brian Robiskie.

KCrockaholic
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
is Chase Coffman at the senior bowl? who all from Mizzou is there?

Ebolapox
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I like to see that about cullen harper.

Al Bundy
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Coye Francies the DB out of San Jose State was the guy I spent the practices paying attention to.

Chiefnj2
01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Tuesday South Notes:

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=468

Brock
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Bowl practice report, Day 2 Story Highlights

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

The second day of practice at the Senior Bowl saw an increase in intensity and performance (Day 1 Report). Players are leaving final impressions on NFL decision makers as to their level of skill on the football field. As a result, a number of prospects have cemented better draft grades for themselves heading towards April while others have watched their stock move in the other direction. Here's a look at Tuesday's results.

Risers
Derrick Williams/WR/Penn State: Williams' vaunted athleticism was on display as he established himself as the best receiver on the field. Williams displayed speed, effective route-running skills and reliable hands. He beat defenders for the deep reception or physically beat them down to make the underneath reception. There's no doubt scouts were excited by Williams, who showed signs of pulling it all togher.

Alex Magee/DT/Purdue: Magee was a late arrival to the Senior Bowl after a communications mishap but made up for lost time Tuesday. The Purdue product was impossible to block and consistently got penetration behind the line of scrimmage, beating blockers with quickness as well as power.

Trevor Canfield/OG/Cincinnati: Canfield has a reputation for being a nasty, fierce competitor and he showed why Tuesday. The former Bearcat starter was dominant at the point and handled almost everyone he faced. He's not only strong but also mean; he never let up. More than once he continued to play after the whistle, getting an extra shove in after the play had ended.

Louis Delmas/S/Western Michigan: Delmas has been the best safety on the field and the feisty defender consistently put himself in a position to make plays on the ball all day. He throws his body around the field in an effort to stop ball handlers and delivered a number of blows that made scouts take notice. Delmas was effective in run defense and against the pass.

Coye Francies/CB/San Jose State: Francies is another defensive back whose aggressive play impressed scouts. Francies knocked several defenders to the ground Tuesday with hard hits, which got a loud response from the crowd of approximately 1,000. More importantly he was effective in coverage, displaying top ball skills, which scouts wanted to see.

David Veikune/DE/Hawaii: Veikune has worked hard the past two days and improved his game. The former Warrior was tenacious in run defense and also flew off the edge as a pass rusher. Several of his battles against top-rated left tackle Michael Oher ended up in his favor. In one instance he had the potential first-round pick twisted like a pretzel as Oher failed to protect the quarterback from Veikune's speed.

Peria Jerry/DT/Mississippi: Jerry is standing out to NFL decision makers not only as a football player but also a leader on the field. He has displayed good quickness off the snap and really pushes the pocket as an interior defender. Jerry's ability to shoot gaps and disrupt offenses has been apparent to all at the Senior Bowl.

Alphonso Smith/CB/Wake Forest: The Demon Deacons' corner was yet another defensive back who stood out Tuesday. Smith looked fast, physical and very instinctive all day. He battled against larger receivers and his 5-foot-9-inch frame never backed down. Smith defended a number of passes and played like a starting NFL cornerback.

Sliders
DeAngelo Smith/CB/Cincinnati: Smith possesses the athleticism to play at the next level but was very hesitant and unsure of himself Tuesday. He consistently lost a half step to opponents off the line of scrimmage and gave up several long receptions and an even larger number of underneath routes.

Nathan Brown/QB/Central Arkansas: The small-school passer has struggled so far and done nothing to improve his status in the eyes of NFL decision makers. Brown throws with a three-quarter delivery and the result is poor accuracy and passes that scatter. His inability to throw the deep pass Tuesday resulted in a number of receivers slowing up in their routes and waiting for the ball to arrive.

John Parker Wilson/QB/Alabama: Wilson was another passer who struggled Tuesday. He showed a weak arm and was unable to get speed on passes and under threw a number of receivers who were open down the field. Late in the day Wilson threw a terrible interception into triple coverage.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson has lined up at both his natural position of guard as well as right tackle. His size (6-feet-7, 382 pounds) has not transitioned into the ability to dominate the opposition. Johnson's immobility is obvious to all and at one point he was knocked to the ground due to his inability to move. Much was expected from Johnson this week but he has not responded and his draft stock is plummeting.

milkman
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Watching the North practice NFL Network this morning I was I was left with the unmistakable feeling of "Eh....." in watching Graham Harrell and Phil Loadholt.

Harrell's arm strength and mechanics in dropbacks were highly unimpressive.

Loadholt was just owned by whoever he lined up against at RT.

I was really impressed with Brian Robiskie.

He was physical, ran crisp routes, and caught everything with his hands.

Rhett Bomar was far and away the best QB, and he was average at best.

Jeremiah Johnson was fun to watch.

OnTheWarpath58
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Watching the North practice NFL Network this morning I was I was left with the unmistakable feeling of "Eh....." in watching Graham Harrell and Phil Loadholt.

Harrell's arm strength and mechanics in dropbacks were highly unimpressive.

Loadholt was just owned by whoever he lined up against at RT.

I was really impressed with Brian Robiskie.

He was physical, ran crisp routes, and caught everything with his hands.

Rhett Bomar was far and away the best QB, and he was average at best.

Jeremiah Johnson was fun to watch.

I'd hate to be a center/guard on the North squad, no one can handle BJ Raji.

Robiskie has looked good, and I've been impressed with Larry English.

Bomar looks decent when he actually gets the exchange. Multiple fumbles.

Loadholt is getting owned...

Pestilence
01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
If Derrick Williams is there in the 3rd round.....do we grab him?

milkman
01-21-2009, 11:05 AM
If Derrick Williams is there in the 3rd round.....do we grab him?

I would.

He's second round material.

milkman
01-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I'd hate to be a center/guard on the North squad, no one can handle BJ Raji.

Robiskie has looked good, and I've been impressed with Larry English.

Bomar looks decent when he actually gets the exchange. Multiple fumbles.

Loadholt is getting owned...

Evandar Hood was pretty impressive also.
Really quick off the snap.

Loadholt might just be a guard on the next level, if that.
He simply doesn't have the feet or athleticism to play even RT.
But at guard, he's not a guy you can ask to pull.

Frosty
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Coye Francies the DB out of San Jose State was the guy I spent the practices paying attention to.

Former Beaver. Glad to see he is doing so well.

Keenan Lewis is doing really well also.

Chiefnj2
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
It's tough getting a handle on who is doing well. Lots of folks posting/saying conflicting reports.

For the North the consensus seems to be the following guys are standing out: Raji, Williams, Pettigrew and English. Most sites say the following guys are doing well: Sintim, Delmas, Mack and Hood.

Pestilence
01-21-2009, 01:54 PM
FWIW.....

From Walterfootball.com's Senior Bowl Coverage:

After practices, the positional coaches and scouts go around interviewing players. This doesn't mean they really love a player, but they just want to get a better feel for them. Remember, hundreds of interviews are being conducted every day at the hotel, and it wouldn't shock me if every team tries to interview every player. Are some teams targeting certain positions over others? Here is the list of my record of which teams interviewed which players:

Kansas City: Max Unger, Nathan Brown, Rey Maualuga

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2009practice3.php

Mecca
01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Please tell me they didn't have Rey Maualuga trying to do edge rush drills today...they were doing that yesterday and he looked pretty shitty and I was just like...he's a MLB not a edge rusher.

OnTheWarpath58
01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Please tell me they didn't have Rey Maualuga trying to do edge rush drills today...they were doing that yesterday and he looked pretty shitty and I was just like...he's a MLB not a edge rusher.

Someone must have gotten in his ear, because he's owning everyone he faces today.

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Kansas City: Max Unger, Nathan Brown, Rey MaualugaUnger makes sense and Brown could be one of those guys you take a flyer on (I hope we have a QB by then, though), but Maualuga? Maybe we're hoping he stabs someone in the face and falls to the second round?

Or I guess the trade-down thing. Ew.

unothadeal
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Is Orakpo practicing?

Pestilence
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Is Orakpo practicing?

No...from what I read Orakpo and Michael Johnson elected not to participate in the Senior Bowl.

Chiefnj2
01-21-2009, 04:50 PM
FWIW.....

From Walterfootball.com's Senior Bowl Coverage:

After practices, the positional coaches and scouts go around interviewing players. This doesn't mean they really love a player, but they just want to get a better feel for them. Remember, hundreds of interviews are being conducted every day at the hotel, and it wouldn't shock me if every team tries to interview every player. Are some teams targeting certain positions over others? Here is the list of my record of which teams interviewed which players:

Kansas City: Max Unger, Nathan Brown, Rey Maualuga

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2009practice3.php

I wonder who from Kansas City is dong the interviews and if they will be around next week.

milkman
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I wonder who from Kansas City is dong the interviews and if they will be around next week.

KC Wolf?

:shrug:

Good question.

Tribal Warfare
01-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Rey was awesome today, he was tearing it up today

the Talking Can
01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
ROFL

brutal

John Parker-Wilson QB Alabama 6014 215 9 3/8 31

Monday Practice Notes: Average at best. Inconsistent with his accuracy and does not show an NFL arm.

Tuesday Practice Notes: Wilson was terrible today. His passes lacked zip, he struggled throwing into the wind and his accuracy was poor. On a number of occasions he badly under threw open wide outs down the field then tossed an interception into triple coverage.

Wednesday Practice Notes: No improvement for Wilson who is likely to look to baseball for a professional sports career.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=468

Sam Hall
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm hesitant about Cullen Harper after seeing him against Nebraska. The Huskers put pressure on him and he lost his cool. IIRC, he made some disparaging comments about the former head coach after Dabo Swiney took over.

Brock
01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Bowl practice report, Day 3 Story Highlights

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

Wednesday was the final day of practice in pads and the most important practice of the week for NFL scouts. The intensity was turned up several notches as players had a lot riding on the line.

Risers
Nic Harris/LB/Oklahoma: Harris has been flawless in Mobile since making the transition from his college position of safety to his projected NFL spot at outside linebacker. He's showed a lot of explosion, speed and has forced the action up the field while also making plays sideline-to-sideline.

Juaquin Iglesias/WR/Oklahoma: Iglesias turned in an outstanding practice on Wednesday. The former Sooner was sure-handed making difficult receptions down the field as well as in the underneath coverage. He's very physical going against opponents to grab the pass and presents the skills to be a starter at the next level.

Larry English/DE-OLB/Northern Illinois: The undersized defensive end beat opponents all day by playing with speed and athleticism. English is a fluid lineman who easily moves about the field and exploited big, immobile blockers to makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.

Brandon Gibson/WR/Washington State: Gibson has been consistent since the first day of Senior Bowl practice and Wednesday may have been his best performance of the week. He's a natural pass catcher who gets the most from his abilities even though he's not the fastest nor quickest. Gibson showed the ability to consistently get open and has very reliable hands.

Brandon Pettigrew/TE/Oklahoma State: Pettigrew's opportunities to catch the ball have been limited this week but his blocking has been outstanding, exceeding the expectations of NFL scouts. He's dominated linebackers all week and has also controlled defensive linemen which has help pave the way for running backs.

Michael Oher/OT/Mississippi: The South squad's big-name player showed up in a big way today. Oher was driving defenders off the line in run blocking drills and looked comfortable in pass protection. He chose the most important practice to have his best day of the week to date.

Andre Brown/RB/North Carolina State: Brown had a very solid afternoon. He ran well inside the tackles, hitting the holes with authority. Brown also showed good speed getting to the edge and picking up yardage outside the hash marks.

Cody Brown/DE-OLB/Connecticut: Brown showed great speed, pass rushing skill and even flashed power on Day 3. He's beaten defenders off the edge, on the inside and at one point drew a large rise from NFL scouts after putting Illinois tackle Xavier Fulton flat on his back.

Sliders
Victor "Macho" Harris/CB/Virginia Tech: Harris has been anything but macho in Mobile and was consistently beaten in practice Wednesday. He plays very soft in coverage and gave up receptions down the field on a number of occasions.

Andy Levitre/OL/Oregon State: The Beavers starting tackle comes off a terrific senior season but has been anything but in Mobile. He's struggled at a number of offensive line spots and was beaten or run over by defensive linemen in drills.

Moise Fokou/OLB/Maryland: Fokou has shown terrific athleticism this week, but his instincts leave a lot to be desired. He was caught flat-footed more than once on the afternoon, and his hesitation cost him opportunities to make plays.

Mecca
01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Macho Harris will be a good player if he gets picked by the right team, practices and workouts are not a good thing for him I'm sure.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2009, 10:36 AM
GBNREPORT

Top 10 players in Mobile

1. Boston College DT B.J. Raji
2. Mississippi DT Peria Jerry
3. Western Michigan FS Louis Delmas
4. Alabama C Antoine Caldwell
5. Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson
6. Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith
7. Northern Illinois DE Larry English
8. USC LB Brian Cushing
9. Virginia Tech CB Macho Harris
10. California C Alex Mack

Mr. Laz
01-23-2009, 01:06 PM
i really like Robiskie

ChiefsCountry
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
McDouche said that Raji has played his way into top 10 for sure.

theorangelion
01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
USC LB Brian Cushing

Coach
01-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Macho Harris will be a good player if he gets picked by the right team, practices and workouts are not a good thing for him I'm sure.

Cover 2 CB?

KChiefs1
01-28-2009, 09:57 AM
2009 Senior Bowl Confirmations and Surprises

by Sigmund Bloom on 01/27/09

Even though it rained once again during the Senior Bowl, we still got a good look at the players we watched all week. Here are the players that confirmed that what we saw in practices was not an illusion, and the players who surprised us during the game for reasons both good and bad:

Confirmations
Rhett Bomar (QB-Sam Houston State) - Just like in practice, Bomar flashed some great raw tools, and some things he needs to improve before he can be a viable NFL starting QB. Bomar’s arm strength and quick, compact release were NFL ready, but his erratic accuracy reared its ugly head on short and long throws, and he gave defenders easy plays when he stared down his target. He also coughed up a fumble in his own end zone that resulted in a TD for the South.
Andre Brown (RB-NC State) - Brown’s surprising burst showed on his 33 yard catch and run, and he showed the ability to become a power back with a good nose for the end zone on his TD run.
Rashad Jennings (RB-Liberty) - Jennings showed us the same things that stood out all week in practice - running with a good initial burst for a 234 pound back, and good feet through the hole. He fought off William Moore’s tackle on one play, showing a more physical side to his game and definitely left open the possibility of moving into the top 100 picks in April.
Mike Wallace (WR-Ole Miss) - Wallace put a punctuation mark on a week that showed he belonged with this level of competition after a late call-up to the Senior Bowl. He flashed outstanding deep speed on his long TD catch that he slowed down to haul in. He flew past DeAngelo Smith, who is not exactly sluggish, although he wasn’t the fastest corner at the game either. Wallace also used that great speed to track down Kory Sheets on his long kick return.
Juaquin Iglesias (WR-Oklahoma) - Iglesias capped off a good week with the best performance of any wideout in the game. He got open with his excellent quickness and burst in and out of his breaks, and always secured the catch with good hands. Iglesias was elusive after the catch and continued the momentum he had built with better and better practices each day in Mobile.
Phil Loadholt (OT-Oklahoma) - Loadholt unfortunately did not surprise us by turning around a week that saw him beaten way too easily around the edge against speed rushers. He couldn’t move with Robert Ayers among others, and left his QB running for his life more than once.
Peria Jerry (DT-Ole Miss) - Any time there was a pileup in the backfield during South practices, you could be sure Peria Jerry was at the center of it during practices, and he was disruptive again during the game, defeating his blocker easily to record one sack and finding a loose ball in the end zone for the game’s only defensive TD. Jerry will be coveted by any teams looking for a one gap defensive tackle in the first round.
Tyrone McKenzie (LB-South Florida) - McKenzie’s excellent instincts and ability to diagnose the play and shoot the gap vs. the run were responsible for multiple plays, something that happened consistently during practices. McKenzie also drove well on the ball in flight when he was in coverage and sacrificed his body to fill the hole when necessary.
Scott McKillop (LB-Pittsburgh) - McKillop wasn’t quite as dynamic or playing downhill as well as McKenzie, but he was patient vs. the run, flowing to the play and saving the defense a ton of yards with his sure tackling.
Ellis Lankster (CB-West Virginia) - Lankster might have surprised some viewers with his excellent play vs. the run and pass, but we saw signs of it all week in Mobile. He flew in like a heat seeking missile on run plays, and showed terrific fight on his interception - taking the ball away from Brian Robiskie despite giving up a significant height advantage to him.

Surprises
Pat White (QB-West Virginia) - White flourished when the bullets were flying. His deep ball TD to Mike Wallace was a little underthrown, but still good enough, and he used his excellent athleticism to make a few plays on the run. His deficiencies were not as apparent as they were in drills that isolated specific QB skills, although he didn’t put much touch on one screen pass. White looked comfortable in the pocket and looked the best of the QBs when throwing on the run, which was not a surprise. White will have to provide value as a special teams player to make a team, but his performance increased the chances that his career as a QB stays alive at least a little longer.
Graham Harrell (QB-Texas Tech) - Maybe Harrell’s lack of arm strength was not surprising, but we were shocked at how glaring it was during the game. He was well short on many throws and looked like Colt Brennan did last year, except Brennan had the excuse of losing 20+ pounds because of a bout with the flu. Harrell found ways to mask his arm strength issues in practice, but the game exposed this major problem with his game.
Cedric Peerman (RB-Virginia) - Peerman’s hard charging style looked a lot better during the game than it did in the week of practices. He bounced off of contact and broke tackles - something he couldn’t do in the low-impact practices. He ducked under one would-be tackler and ran downhill with good body lean. His small (7 7/8”) hands might prove to be a problem at the next level, although we also give Rey Maualuga a lot of credit for a good strip on Peerman’s fumble.
Robert Ayers (DE-Tennessee) - Ayers motor and excellent push did not surprise us, but his speed around the edge did. He did not look like one of the better speed rushers in Mobile until the lights were on. Ayers devastated Nathan Brown and shared the sack that resulted in a TD with Corvey Irvin. Ayers was named outstanding defensive player of the game for his efforts.
Mitch King (DT-Iowa) - King’s great motor and quickness off the snap popped at times in practice, but the problems of being a relatively light defensive tackle showed a lot more during one on ones in the pit than they did in the game. King spent a lot of the game in the South backfield and defeated Eric Wood with surprising power that we did not see during the practices.
Alphonso Smith (CB-Wake Forest) - We weren’t surprised one bit when Smith jumped a route to get a shot at a pick six, but we doubt you’ll see him drop many opportunities that easy in the NFL. He’s a gambler, but he’ll hit the jackpot when he’s right.

BigChiefFan
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
McDouche said that Raji has played his way into top 10 for sure.I think he has, too. I still think he would be an awesome start to running the 3-4 and moving Dorsey to one the ends. Some people don't like him, but I think he has PB potential and I would be thrilled with the pick.