PDA

View Full Version : Electronics ****Official Home Theater Thread: Park Q&A+ Deals Here****

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Just thought it would be a good idea.

If anyone is looking for a good deal on a boutique name brand level of speakers, Vanns is selling through the KEF IQ7's for $400 a pair w/ free shipping right now (they originally were $1K). A lot of people aren't a big fan of KEF sound (me included), but it is a good price if you have an eccentric ear.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542450491/kef-iq7-walnut

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
So, I just completely revamped by HT system by selling my old stuff and using Jesusmas money.

I now have a JBL LC-2 Center Channel, two L880 fronts (in transit), and an Onkyo TX-SR805 on the way.

These will be replacing a JBL EC-25 center, E60 fronts, and an Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver.

I'll add some pics whenever I get all the stuff together. I should have another 250ish left over that I may use for either a HTPC upgrade (to BD) or a BD standalone player (final version, depending upon options and price).

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Pics of the equipment

http://www.audiotohome.com/images/390_2.jpg
http://www.audiocafe.co.kr/admin/file/image_file/jbl%20l880.gif
http://www.hometheatershack.com/Onkyo-TX-SR805-Receiver/images/Onkyo-TX-SR805.gif

Bowser
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Sweet stacks.

Pestilence
01-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Here's mine. I'd love to get some better speakers eventually but the receiver works for me.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S5100&class=Systems&p=i

Baby Lee
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Still the same ol' system, New England Audio Research all around [50MEs front, 20JIB center, 15Ms surround], Receiver Sony STR-DA777ES, DVD/SACD Sony NS999ES

http://athanas.com/images/open50m_72ppi.jpg
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_4/images/near1015jib.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Still the same ol' system, New England Audio Research all around [50MEs front, 20JIB center, 15Ms surround], Receiver Sony STR-DA777ES, DVD/SACD Sony NS999ES

That's probably the best receiver Sony ever made, though.

aturnis
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
What does everyone here think of Paradigm speakers? Noticed I could pretty much at anytime pick up a pair of the mini monitor book shelfs for $250 off of ebay. I think pretty much any opinion I've ever heard about Paradigm is that they are the best bang for the buck at their price range and a few price ranges above it.

Should I take the plunge and get a pair? I've never had a home theater system, mostly b/c every roommate I've ever had supplied one. Now, I live with my gf, and she hasn't supplied one yet! Was thinking about a Onkyo receiver with Paradigm speakers. Sound good?

How do I go about deciding what speakers to pair together for the fronts, rears, sub and whatever the extra 2 in 7:1 are called?

Thanks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
What does everyone here think of Paradigm speakers? Noticed I could pretty much at anytime pick up a pair of the mini monitor book shelfs for $250 off of ebay. I think pretty much any opinion I've ever heard about Paradigm is that they are the best bang for the buck at their price range and a few price ranges above it.

Should I take the plunge and get a pair? I've never had a home theater system, mostly b/c every roommate I've ever had supplied one. Now, I live with my gf, and she hasn't supplied one yet! Was thinking about a Onkyo receiver with Paradigm speakers. Sound good?

How do I go about deciding what speakers to pair together for the fronts, rears, sub and whatever the extra 2 in 7:1 are called?

Thanks.

Paradigms are very good speakers. The biggest thing with your HT system is to make sure that your fronts and center are of the same series so that you can have "timbre matching". It creates an even sound stage across the front.

If you gave me a budget, I could scrape together a HT system for you pretty quick. Give me an idea of how much money you want to spend, and what you would listen to most of the time, i.e. X% Movies, X%games, and so on.

Furthermore, if you are really looking for good budget speakers, Energy is probably the way to go.

Oh, and depending on your budget, do it modularly. The most integral parts are the fronts, center and sub. The receiver is less important for sound quality than the speakers.

aturnis
01-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Paradigms are very good speakers. The biggest thing with your HT system is to make sure that your fronts and center are of the same series so that you can have "timbre matching". It creates an even sound stage across the front.

If you gave me a budget, I could scrape together a HT system for you pretty quick. Give me an idea of how much money you want to spend, and what you would listen to most of the time, i.e. X% Movies, X%games, and so on.

Furthermore, if you are really looking for good budget speakers, Energy is probably the way to go.

Oh, and depending on your budget, do it modularly. The most integral parts are the fronts, center and sub. The receiver is less important for sound quality than the speakers.

I would probably be putting one together piece by piece. I've found the Onkyo 7:1 mentioned earlier for about $170-200, and have been looking at Paradigm Mini Monitors on ebay. Find some really well kept equipment for decent prices. The last dealer I went to wanted $500 for a pair, I've found very nice/like new pairs for $200-250.

I would like to try to build it for under $1500, but closer to the $1000 side of $1500. Basically $1000, but would spend more if I think the value is there. Also if I went full 7:1.

My brother is trying to get me to pick up a Bose system. I keep telling him their not the quality I'm looking for, but I think he needs to listen to them side by side with some other speakers.

Would probably use it more for TV/Gaming than Movies. I can play games for hours on end, all b/c my gf likes to play too, but movies only 1 at a time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I would probably be putting one together piece by piece. I've found the Onkyo 7:1 mentioned earlier for about $170-200, and have been looking at Paradigm Mini Monitors on ebay. Find some really well kept equipment for decent prices. The last dealer I went to wanted $500 for a pair, I've found very nice/like new pairs for $200-250.

I would like to try to build it for under $1500, but closer to the $1000 side of $1500. Basically $1000, but would spend more if I think the value is there. Also if I went full 7:1.

My brother is trying to get me to pick up a Bose system. I keep telling him their not the quality I'm looking for, but I think he needs to listen to them side by side with some other speakers.

Would probably use it more for TV/Gaming than Movies. I can play games for hours on end, all b/c my gf likes to play too, but movies only 1 at a time.

Do you want smaller speakers, or floorstanding models?

And tell your brother he's a fucktard.

aturnis
01-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, like I said, the mini monitors sounded great to me, and I didn't like the monitor 3's, a step up I believe, quite as much. The mini monitors are a bookshelf, but I could probably find some stands or make some for that matter.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
The Onkyo TX-SR606 would cost you 300 refurbed.

You're going to need a great sub with bookshelves. I'd get the HSU-STF-2. That would be around 400.

You might try the Paradigm CC-370 to match with your fronts.

As far as surrounds go, It doesn't matter. Just find something that suits your eye. It doesn't have to match like fronts-center.

aturnis
01-29-2009, 11:20 PM

I was looking at the TX-SR506, what's the difference? It'd be nice to know what all of those #'s and letters mean.

Thanks for the input.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I was looking at the TX-SR506, what's the difference? It'd be nice to know what all of those #'s and letters mean.

Thanks for the input.

The 606 has 15 more watts per channel of power, better S/N ratio (basically, it can output more power and cleaner power to your speakers), it can scale your video with an internal chip (decent, not as great as the 875 and up) and most importantly, it can decode all of the lossless formats for Blu-Ray content (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA).

It's a significantly improved receiver that won't need any upgrades for the forseeable future. It's much more "future-proofed".

Miles
01-29-2009, 11:27 PM

You're going to need a great sub with bookshelves. I'd get the HSU-STF-2. That would be around 400.

You might try the Paradigm CC-370 to match with your fronts.

As far as surrounds go, It doesn't matter. Just find something that suits your eye. It doesn't have to match like fronts-center.

If it fits in the budget I definitly think matching rears is pretty necessary. However matching rears is probably the last of the speakers I would suggest purchasing after the front/center/sub.

Can't go wrong with HSU and and SVS sub is also another option.

For receivers I prefer Denon, but in the entry models Onkyo's tend to offer a little more for the cost.

OnTheWarpath58
01-29-2009, 11:31 PM

I have Energy speakers, and love the hell out of them for the money.

Best speakers most people have never heard of.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Just picked up the JBL L880's from ABF freight today. Set them up and put carpet spikes on the sumbitches...amazing speakers. The tweeter and supertweeter are great.

Buck
01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I bought an Onkyo reciever that has HDMI passthrough, so I cant listen to TV in the surround sound because it wont show the video through the HDMI and the sound through analog!

My PS3 works w/ video through the HDMI and audio through an optical cable though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I bought an Onkyo reciever that has HDMI passthrough, so I cant listen to TV in the surround sound because it wont show the video through the HDMI and the sound through analog!

My PS3 works w/ video through the HDMI and audio through an optical cable though.

What model?

My 804 upconverts everything to HDMI. The only catch is that I can't watch one HDMI source and listen to another. But, if I want to browse my computer (which is connected through component) while listening to a CD player on a different input, I just choose the video source first, then the audio.

I love that feature.

Buck
01-31-2009, 01:50 AM
Not sure what model...I've got it boxed up now until I move.

I just found something on the back of my TV that says SPDIF out. It looks like some kind of proprietary Optical jack. I'm wondering if I plug my Cable Box to my tv, then an SPDIF cable (optical?) from my tv to my surround, If I will get surround out of the speakers. I know it wouldn't be true surround, but it would be better than nothing.

Buck
01-31-2009, 01:52 AM
Is there such a thing as a VGA to S-Video cable?

Or a VGA to Composite RCA Cables?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Not sure what model...I've got it boxed up now until I move.

I just found something on the back of my TV that says SPDIF out. It looks like some kind of proprietary Optical jack. I'm wondering if I plug my Cable Box to my tv, then an SPDIF cable (optical?) from my tv to my surround, If I will get surround out of the speakers. I know it wouldn't be true surround, but it would be better than nothing.

Sony Philips Digital Interface. It's either a normal optical jack, or a digital coax jack (which is the same size as a single RCA).

Depends on the TV if you'd get surround, or if it would just output stereo in a digital form.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Is there such a thing as a VGA to S-Video cable?

Or a VGA to Composite RCA Cables?

Yes. They suck, too.

Buck
01-31-2009, 01:55 AM
So if I want to connect my laptop to my tv it will look shitty if I use one of those?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 01:56 AM
So if I want to connect my laptop to my tv it will look shitty if I use one of those?

Yes. Look for VGA to component, if possible.

http://www.amazon.com/6ft-component-video-cable-HD15/dp/B000FM3EQ0

Buck
01-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Yes. Look for VGA to component, if possible.

http://www.amazon.com/6ft-component-video-cable-HD15/dp/B000FM3EQ0

I need to find out if my computer can handle that.

Buck
01-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Okay, Im hoping this works

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2173&seq=1&format=2

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 02:07 AM
Who makes the integrated graphics on your laptop? I'd imagine it's an ATI Chipset. You should be just fine with this and ATI's Catalyst system and/or PowerStrip (a huge PITA of a program).

Buck
01-31-2009, 02:09 AM
Who makes the integrated graphics on your laptop? I'd imagine it's an ATI Chipset. You should be just fine with this and ATI's Catalyst system and/or PowerStrip (a huge PITA of a program).

If I had any idea what that meant, I'd let you know.

When it comes to electronics, If it doesn't have to do w/ a Gaming console, I don't know anything about it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 02:16 AM
You should be OK. When you get it, connect the Component out to your TV, "Attach" a second monitor in the Display Properties of Windows, and make the resolution on the second monitor either 1280X700 or 1366x768.

Buck
01-31-2009, 02:18 AM
Cool thanks...I'll let you know how it works

Buck
01-31-2009, 02:23 AM
Heres the specs of my laptop FWIW.

If you can let me know if it will work from info listed here. Thanks.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-l305-s5891/4507-3121_7-33342020.html?tag=mncol;psum

General

* Built-in Devices Wireless LAN antenna , Stereo speakers
* Width 14.2 in
* Depth 10.5 in
* Height 1.5 in
* Weight 5.5 lbs
* Color Glossy black
* Localization United States
* Notebook type Thin-and-light (4-6 lbs.) , Budget
* Screen type Wide-screen
* Wireless capabilities 802.11b , 802.11g

Processor

* Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200 / 2.0 GHz
* Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
* 64-bit processor Yes
* Data bus speed 667.0 MHz
* Chipset type Mobile Intel GL40 Express

Cache Memory

* Type L2 cache
* Cache size 1.0 MB

RAM

* Installed Size 2.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
* Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 800.0 MHz
* Memory specification compliance PC2-6400

Environmental Parameters

* Min Operating Temperature 41 F
* Max Operating Temperature 95 F
* Humidity Range Operating 20 - 80%

Storage Controller

* Storage controller type Serial ATA/IDE
* Storage Controller / Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150

Storage

* Floppy Drive None
* Hard Drive 160.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm
* Storage Removable None
* Hard drive type Portable

Optical Storage

* Type DVDRW (R DL) / DVD-RAM
* CD / DVD read speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
* CD / DVD write speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVDR) / 6x (DVDR DL)
* CD / DVD rewrite speed 24x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)
* Disc Labeling Technology Labelflash Technology

Optical Storage (2nd)

* 2nd optical storage type None

Card Reader

* Card reader type 4 in 1 card reader
* Supported flash memory cards Memory Stick , Memory Stick Pro , SD Memory Card , MultiMediaCard , SDHC Memory Card

Display

* Display Type 15.4 in TFT active matrix
* Max Resolution 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
* Widescreen Display Yes
* Features TruBrite

Video

* Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA 4500MHD Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
* Max Allocated RAM Size 830.0 MB

Audio

* Audio output type Sound card
* Audio Input Microphone

Multimedia Functionality

* TV Tuner Type None

Input Device(s)

* Input device type Touchpad , Keyboard
* Keyboard localization and layout US

Telecom

* Modem Fax / modem

Networking

* Networking Network adapter
* Networking / Wireless LAN Supported Yes
* Data link protocol IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11g , Fast Ethernet , Ethernet
* Networking standards IEEE 802.11b , Wi-Fi CERTIFIED , IEEE 802.11g

Expansion / Connectivity

* Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2.0 ( 1.0 ) x ExpressCard/54 , 1.0 Memory
* Interfaces 1.0 x Network - Phone line - RJ-45 , 1.0 x Modem - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-11 , 1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Headphones - Output - 4 pin USB Type A , 3.0 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) , 1.0 x Microphone - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

Miscellaneous

* Features Administrator password , System password , Remote boot control , Wake on LAN , Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)

Power

* Power device form factor External
* Voltage Required AC 120/230 V

Battery

* Technology 6-cell Lithium ion
* Installed Qty 1.0
* Battery capacity 4000.0 mAh

Operating System / Software

* OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
* Software Adobe Acrobat Reader , Drivers & Utilities , Toshiba ConfigFree , Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment , Toshiba Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center , Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition (60 days trial) , Skype , Toshiba Value Added Package , Microsoft Works 9.0 , Norton 360 (Trial) , Toshiba Disc Creator , Toshiba Assist , Google Toolbar , Google Picasa , Toshiba DVD Player , Google Desktop , LoJack for Laptops , Toshiba Speech System

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 02:25 AM
Your laptop's chipset may or may not be able to push 1080p. If you want to try it over component, set the Display resolution on the second "Monitor" to 1920x1080.

Buck
01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
This is a cool idea

<object width="650" height="366" ><param name="movie" value="http://megawhat.tv/swfs/KVPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playTrailer=0&clipID=738&autoPlayback=0&loopPlayback=0&allowFullScreen=true&clientConfig=2&muteOnLoad=1&muteOnLoadOverride=1&autoPlaybackOverride=0" /><embed src="http://megawhat.tv/swfs/KVPlayer.swf" quality="high" wmode="opaque" FlashVars="playTrailer=0&clipID=738&autoPlayback=0&loopPlayback=0&allowFullScreen=true&clientConfig=2&muteOnLoad=1&muteOnLoadOverride=1&autoPlaybackOverride=0" width="650" height="366" bgColor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

This particular TV will not be coming to the United States, but we may see things like this in the future.

However, it'll just mean you are going to have a lot of black space on the sides when watching TV.

DeepPurple
01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I have a question for someone who knows speakers.

My family room is 15'X20'. We have a 50" Panasonic Plasma which is perfect for that size room. I have 4 Sansui speakers with a Sony two channel receiver.

Recently we turned the room around, moving the TV from the 15' wall to the 20' wall, making the room much wider. I would like to buy a 7.1 receiver and keep my four Sansui speakers while adding two more speakers to the rear of the room and a center channel speaker, I don't think I need to add a sub-woofer.

I've been to Best Buy and will probably pick up an Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha receiver. I bought the Sansui speakers new in 1984 and they still sound great, so I hate to have to buy all new speakers. However, I don't have any idea what brand or size I should get to match these existing speakers.

These are not my images, but they are exactly what I own. They are Sansui Tower S-1117 with two 12" woofers and S-917 with a single 12" woofer. I would like to keep these as front and side speakers and get a smaller size cabinet speakers for the rear. Center channel I have space on the TV stand for about 2' wide.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/oldolds442/IMG_3401.jpg
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Stereo_Speakers/Sansui_S-917_Stereo_Speakers_web.jpg

Baby Lee
01-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow, there's no way to know much about the timbre of a 25 year old pair of speakers over the interwebs, unless they're of a specific 'exotic' type, such as magnaplanars or horns.
I'm assuming the woofer and midrange are paper, no?
Is the tweeter metal or paper? Inverted dome.

More importantly, how does it sound to your ears, warm, bright, boomy, tinny, large, focused?

DeepPurple
01-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Wow, there's no way to know much about the timbre of a 25 year old pair of speakers over the interwebs, unless they're of a specific 'exotic' type, such as magnaplanars or horns.
I'm assuming the woofer and midrange are paper, no?
Is the tweeter metal or paper? Inverted dome.

More importantly, how does it sound to your ears, warm, bright, boomy, tinny, large, focused?

They sound fantastic to me, they blow away anything I've heard at a store. I keep the loudness button 'on' but the bass I set between (-4 to -8) and tremble at zero, this gives me the best sound with all four speakers on.

I found an online store selling a used pair of the smaller S-917's for $359. This is the dealer's description:

3-Way, Acoustic Suspension cabinet design
- 12" ribbed paper cone woofer with non-deteriorating, cloth suspension
- 4" paper cone midrange w/ Mylar dust cap
- 3/4" Mylar dome tweeter with diffusion lens
- Presence / Treble control for tailoring top-end

Specs:
Frequency Response: 30-22,000HzEfficiency: 92dB 1w @ 1m
Nominal Impedance: 8Ω each
Cross-over frequencies: at 3.5kHz & 10kHzRecommended Power amplifier rating: 150 watts

Circa 1984-86

Great Sansui 3-way speaker system. "Military / European / Asian" version of the US marketed S-930. I have a bit of a "bias" towards these as I sold the S-930's at the first hi-fi dealer I worked for in the early 80's. I used to show them often, but usually sold their "little brothers" the S-730 and S-530 due to their lesser price. If I really wanted to show off an amplifier or receiver, I would run it through the S-930's (again, essentially the same model as these 917's). Great, balanced sound, nice punchy bottom end. Very efficient and bright where they need to be. Great speaker where mid to higher volumes are desired.

Baby Lee
01-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Man, though you characterize it as 'bright' I imagine a lot of what you find nowadays will be significantly brighter. Mylar dome tweeters are better for small enclosures and don't have the rigidity to project brightness in large spaces. That's why you'll mostly find them in auto speakers and HTiB nowadays. I'd look for something with a 'warm sound' Snell, or Paradigm. Stay away from horns [Klipsch] or supertweeters, you'll just be constantly wondering what all the commotion is behind you.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Man, though you characterize it as 'bright' I imagine a lot of what you find nowadays will be significantly brighter. Mylar dome tweeters are better for small enclosures and don't have the rigidity to project brightness in large spaces. That's why you'll mostly find them in auto speakers and HTiB nowadays. I'd look for something with a 'warm sound' Snell, or Paradigm. Stay away from horns [Klipsch] or supertweeters, you'll just be constantly wondering what all the commotion is behind you.

He might also find that Yamaha amps produce too bright of a sound, especially with paper woofered speakers of that age. I don't really like them, but if he's looking for a sound to match a mellow but powerful set of fronts like that, he might think about an HK receiver, were he to go to Worst Buy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM

Have you thought about getting a newer mid-range receiver that can decode the newer codecs and using it as a Pre-Pro in conjunction with your Sony?

Baby Lee
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Have you thought about getting a newer mid-range receiver that can decode the newer codecs and using it as a Pre-Pro in conjunction with your Sony?

I'm studying pretty hard nowadays [Dipoles in the Field, and Atomic Model of Dielectrics ATM, Vector Calculus earlier today]. So really most of my aural stimulation comes from Howard over the PC speakers. 5.1 is just fine for TV/DVD watching, and the rare time I have for critical listening I do just fine with my 1300 CDs, 100 or so SACDs and 100 or so LPs.
By new codecs I assume you are talking about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. But that's not only another receiver, it's a Blu-Ray player and tracking down two new NEAR [they've changed over to Bogen and gotten out of HT in favor of all weather/industrial speakers] 15Ms, plus my TV is 1080i with DVI and component. So we're talking about a new TV too.

So no.

But my dad, weirdly had two receivers go out in a month. First the old DA-90ES with 'vision touch' I gave him in 2000 or so, then the old receiver he'd put in storage [it was only a year or so old at the time] that he put in it's place, a standard Sony, but like 935 model, I know it was a 900-something. Plus he has a new flatscreen. So he's shopping himself one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm studying pretty hard nowadays ATM, ...

I would suggest consulting a local 17 year old for help with this topic.

Baby Lee
01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I would suggest consulting a local 17 year old for help with this topic.

I took the highest math classes as they offered back in HS, and it was drudgery diving back into it, whizzing bored through the limit and applied algebra sections, but working harder at pulling up trig from 20 year old memories as it was assumed I was versed in it, as it was an immediate predecessor class/prereq that I'd tested out of the first time around.
But I assure you no HS students are studying this vector and multivariate shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I took the highest math classes as they offered back in HS, and it was drudgery diving back into it, whizzing bored through the limit and applied algebra sections, but working harder at pulling up trig from 20 year old memories as it was assumed I was versed in it, as it was an immediate predecessor class/prereq that I'd tested out of the first time around.
But I assure you no HS students are studying this vector and multivariate shit.

I was referencing Clerks II.

DeepPurple
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

What do you all think of the Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR506 receiver from Vann's for $229. For center channel the Polk CS10 from Best Buy for $179 and for the rear Bose 201's from either place for $219 a pair?

http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/vanns/538299819?$medium_item$

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8826/8826149_rb.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

What do you all think of the Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR506 receiver from Vann's for $229. For center channel the Polk CS10 from Best Buy for $179 and for the rear Bose 201's from either place for $219 a pair?

http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/vanns/538299819?$medium_item$

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8826/8826149_rb.jpg

Honestly, I'd pass if I were you. You really should get the 606, as it has far more options. The only thing the 506 even has is an HDMI repeater. It doesn't do anything with the video or audio from the source.

With your budget, I'd tell you to get one of the following:

Infinity Beta C 360 (new) can be had for 200 through various etailers and it is a much, much better speaker than the polk.

Were I you, I'd look at refurbs:

I've bought two sets of fronts and two center channels from this store, and they are all in immaculate condition, and you pay 30-40 cents on the dollar. They all come with a five year warranty, same as factory, and are shipped in original boxes:

Google harmanaudio ebay.

For center channels, look at the JBL LC1, LC2, and the aforementioned Infinity. They may not have many Infinity's at this time, but I got an LC2, a 600+ dollar speaker, for 215 shipped from them. It's a big mother****ing speaker, but it sounds phenomenal.

For rears, you can find refurbed pairs of JBL L810s for 100 bucks+ shipping, and they will stomp the piss out of those Bose speakers.

LC2 Link:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C12&dfsp=32&satitle=jbl+lc2&sacat=3276%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=65202&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=harmanaudio&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

LC1 link:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&dfsp=32&satitle=jbl+lc1&sacat=3276%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=65202&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=harmanaudio&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2

L810 link:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&dfsp=32&satitle=jbl+l810&sacat=3276%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=65202&fbfmt=1&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=harmanaudio&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2

Infinity Beta C 360 Center:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=infinity+beta+c360&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZAuGSaPQFIT6MrTsodoD&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Onkyo TX-SR606:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538499144/onkyo-tx-sr606-b?v_c=GoogleBase&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=538499144

(You can find refurbs for 100 dollars less from Accessories4less and they carry full Onkyo warranties).

If you really don't care about next gen lossless codecs and will never get a blu-ray player, you could also look into this receiver, which I would recommend over the 506, but doesn't have as many future-proof options as the 606, but will have equal, and possibly superior, sound.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5002/Marantz/SR5002-receiver-90w-x-7ch-HDMI-home-theater-surround/1.html

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Got the 805 today. Fed Ex moron dropped it off halfway up the driveway without ringing the doorbell. Thanks buddy :thumb:.

This thing is a friggin beast. Every bit of the 60 pounds it is said to weigh, twice as heavy as the 804 it is replacing. Listened to a couple of Dolby True HD tracks, sounds pretty good, couldn't crank it b/c my wife decided to take a six hour nap :cuss: :cuss:

Buck
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Got the 805 today. Fed Ex moron dropped it off halfway up the driveway without ringing the doorbell. Thanks buddy :thumb:.

This thing is a friggin beast. Every bit of the 60 pounds it is said to weigh, twice as heavy as the 804 it is replacing. Listened to a couple of Dolby True HD tracks, sounds pretty good, couldn't crank it b/c my wife decided to take a six hour nap :cuss: :cuss:

Are you selling the 804?

We're talking about an Onkyo Reciever here right?

It doesn't do HDMI Pass-Through right?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Are you selling the 804?

We're talking about an Onkyo Reciever here right?

It doesn't do HDMI Pass-Through right?

Already sold it.

Yes, it does pass through of 1080p, but can only accept 2 channel PCM, DD, or DTS over HDMI. No next gen codecs. If you have a BD player with 7.1 analog outs (Panasonic BD 55), you could play all of the lossless formats through that way.

It was a damned nice receiver, but it's not in the same class as the 805, which has Burr Brown DACs, another HDMI port, DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD decoding, Audyssey Multi EQ XT (as opposed to the standard Audyssey) and weighs twice as much.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-08-2009, 02:42 AM
You can get two Polk Monitor 50's from Newegg for 199, shipped, right now.

Really good speakers for people on a tight budget.

If you live by a Fry's, sometimes they sell these for 120 dollars a pair.

Count Alex's Wins
02-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey, Hamas. Buckin was just telling me about the VGA to component connector, and I realized I have a VGA out on my laptop. Think I can use that to watch HD movies on my HDTV? Here's my laptop. I know it will play HD video, just not sure if the video card will transmit it over VGA to component.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A305-S6853-15-4-inch-Processor/dp/B001B6LG2S

Buck
02-15-2009, 04:20 PM

This is my Video Card I think.

Intel GMA 4500MHD Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

Hopefully the VGA to Component works.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2009, 04:21 PM
That will easily transmit HD over VGA. Really, even shit laptops will. And Component can accept a 1920x1080 signal.

What size is your TV?

Just make sure that the signal that you are sending out from it matches the native resolution of the television for minimal bullshit.

1366x768 is best if you have a 720p display
1920x1080 if you have a 1080p

You might also think about downloading Powerstrip, because most TVs do a little bit of overscan, so you could have *some* cropping. That can take care of that for you.

Buck
02-15-2009, 04:30 PM
That will easily transmit HD over VGA. Really, even shit laptops will. And Component can accept a 1920x1080 signal.

What size is your TV?

Just make sure that the signal that you are sending out from it matches the native resolution of the television for minimal bullshit.

You might also think about downloading Powerstrip, because most TVs do a little bit of overscan, so you could have *some* cropping. That can take care of that for you.

I think you were replying to Claythan, not me, but My TV is 42" 1080p. I'm thinking I would just do it at 720p anyways, since most the shit you find is available in 720, not 1080.

I bought this cable. When it gets in if I have issues, I'll be asking more questions.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2173&seq=1&format=2

Count Alex's Wins
02-15-2009, 04:33 PM

What size is your TV?

Sweet action. Heading to Wal Mart! No longer will I have to drag my desktop out to hook it up to the receiver! Now I'm gonna go load up my laptop with HD content LOL.

Count Alex's Wins
02-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Hmmm, I need a 15 foot cable. Any websites?

Count Alex's Wins
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
?

http://www.directron.com/25hd153rca.html

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
?

http://www.directron.com/25hd153rca.html

They're legit.

Count Alex's Wins
02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

I need a longer audio cable. Suggestions?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

I need a longer audio cable. Suggestions?

Go to radio shack. Buy a 12" RCA cable and then an 1/8" to RCA adapter. Or, just buy an RCA cable online and the adapter in store. Much easier and more flexible than buying it all together.

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
FUCK! I've got the laptop transmitting to the TV but the display is all garbled. Now what? Changed res to 720p.

Buck
02-18-2009, 10:46 AM
****! I've got the laptop transmitting to the TV but the display is all garbled. Now what? Changed res to 720p.

Did you buy the cable that I gave you the link to or another one?

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
The one from directron. I don't think it's the cable though. I think I need to change a setting in software (probably the TV format) but Windows 7 doesn't appear set up the same way XP was. I'm looking for a third-party program.

Buck
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
The one from directron. I don't think it's the cable though. I think I need to change a setting in software (probably the TV format) but Windows 7 doesn't appear set up the same way XP was. I'm looking for a third-party program.

Ok.

I'll be getting mine in the mail today. After I get my haircut and watch an episode of BSG and LOST I'll try it out. I only have Vista though.

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
http://www.softwarepod.com/21112-TVTool-download.htm I need something like this...

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Hmmmm....it will display a static image just fine (i.e. the desktop background), but the second I try to put a video on it the screen gets all garbled. ARGH!

Swanman
02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
This is a cool idea

<object width="650" height="366" ><param name="movie" value="http://megawhat.tv/swfs/KVPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playTrailer=0&clipID=738&autoPlayback=1&loopPlayback=0&allowFullScreen=true&clientConfig=2&muteOnLoad=1&muteOnLoadOverride=1&autoPlaybackOverride=0" /><embed src="http://megawhat.tv/swfs/KVPlayer.swf" quality="high" wmode="opaque" FlashVars="playTrailer=0&clipID=738&autoPlayback=1&loopPlayback=0&allowFullScreen=true&clientConfig=2&muteOnLoad=1&muteOnLoadOverride=1&autoPlaybackOverride=0" width="650" height="366" bgColor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

This particular TV will not be coming to the United States, but we may see things like this in the future.

However, it'll just mean you are going to have a lot of black space on the sides when watching TV.

You can get 2.35:1 Anamorphic screens for projectors here in the states. Many of the new movies are shot in that aspect so it's great for movie buffs. I may consider a 2.35:1 screen in my next theater, my current theater just has the standard 16:9 widescreen.

Buck
02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Hmmmm....it will display a static image just fine (i.e. the desktop background), but the second I try to put a video on it the screen gets all garbled. ARGH!

This probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but are you trying to run it at a resolution higher than your computer can output?

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
This probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but are you trying to run it at a resolution higher than your computer can output? No, 720p.

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Here's what it looks like: I'm thinking maybe this cable is shit? http://i40.tinypic.com/348rfv7.jpg

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, this is odd, the picture stabilizes when I increase the brightness.

Count Alex's Wins
02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
OK, I have the picture stabilized and the color fixed. Now I need to reduce the flicker and geometry (picture is shift too far to the right). I don't see those options in powerstrip unless I'm missing them.

Simply Red
02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
so much for less materialism w/by/from today's youth. 'Hamas', pffff, silly!

Count Alex's Wins
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Anyone have any experience with the "Intel TV Wizard?"

I can't get the damn thing to work I guess. I'm stuck with this black bar on the left side of my screen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Claythan. Use PowerStrip. Google your TV's make and model.

You will find out the native resolution (most likely 1366x768). Powerstrip can set that exact resolution coming out of your laptop.

Buck
02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Well nothing is happening.

My screen is just saying no signal

Count Alex's Wins
02-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Did you try different resolutions?

There are also usually two options - clone and extend. Clone wouldn't work for me until I found a third-party application that worked with my Intel display driver. At first all I could do was extend the desktop onto the HDTV.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Bye, bye plasma:

http://newteevee.com/2009/02/21/pioneers-kuro-killing-a-tipping-point-in-the-plasma-era/

aturnis
02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Popsci.com article (http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-amp-gaming/article/2009-02/plasma-going-way-romans).

They're a bit late reporting. Plasma might be dead, but this might be a good time to get the best T.V. on the market on the cheap. Pioneer Kuro. "Almost Infinite" contrast ratio. Pretty cool shit. We'll see if they come down in price.

aturnis
11-23-2009, 11:45 PM
http://dealnews.com/Onkyo-TX-SR607-630-W-7.2-Home-Theater-Receiver-w-i-Pod-dock-for-350-free-shipping/331003.html

Hey Hamas. What say you? Good deal, or take a pass? Won't degrade the video any will it?

Fairplay
11-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Bye, bye plasma:

Plasma and Betamax, RIP.:reaper: