PDA

View Full Version : Computers monitor to a laptop

Short Leash Hootie
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
one of my friends stepped on his laptop and broke the screen...when he plugs a monitor into the laptop he can't get any signal to his monitor...what's the deal? The laptop still turns on...is there something that needs to be done to get the laptop to recognize the monitor?

NewChief
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
one of my friends stepped on his laptop and broke the screen...when he plugs a monitor into the laptop he can't get any signal to his monitor...what's the deal? The laptop still turns on...is there something that needs to be done to get the laptop to recognize the monitor?

There's sometimes a hot key that switches between outputs. On my Thinkpad, it's Function F7.

jjjayb
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Have the monitor plugged in when you turn on the laptop. If you plug the monitor in when the laptop is already on it won't do anything.

Bob Dole
01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
There's sometimes a hot key that switches between outputs. On my Thinkpad, it's Function F7.

Function-F8 on Bob Dole's Dell. (F8 labelled "CRT/LCD")

Jewish Rabbi
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
You have some fuckin retarded friends... Every week you have a story about one of them fucking up their computer.

pr_capone
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Function-F8 on Bob Dole's Dell. (F8 labelled "CRT/LCD")

on older gateway models its

Function-F3

look for the crt/lcd as bob said

QuikSsurfer
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
You have some fuckin retarded friends... Every week you have a story about one of them fucking up their computer.

This.

Is it an Apple or M$ laptop?

Taco John
01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Tell your "friend" that he needs to find the right function key to make the switch. Otherwise, "he" is screwed.

Coach
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Although, can you use the VGA cord from the laptop (Assuming he/she has one) to connect it to a monitor? I know it has worked several times on my wife's old laptop when it had monitor issues.

pr_capone
01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Although, can you use the VGA cord from the laptop (Assuming he/she has one) to connect it to a monitor? I know it has worked several times on my wife's old laptop when it had monitor issues.

Yup... that is what they are talking about.

The problem they are having is that the computer is not making the switch over from the built in LCD to the monitor.

patteeu
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
How did your "friend" post this thread if "he" busted up his laptop? :p

Short Leash Hootie
01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
his laptop is kind of a P.O.S. anyways...we brought the bar back home with us last week and some girl pushed him out of his bed and he landed on his laptop...I keep my laptop securely in its case at all times when I'm not using it...

Short Leash Hootie
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I tried all of these suggestions...he has a shitty Lenovo laptop..I plugged my laptop into his monitor and it was instant...showed up right away...when his is plugged in, his computer is clearly on...the screen is shattered...tried holding function and every F1-F12 button and it simply wouldn't work...

He's probably S.O.L. I guess...I would kill that bitch if that happened to my laptop.

Adept Havelock
01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
You need to enable presentation mode. How to do that differs from model to model.