PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Man vs. Wild...Stupid and Cruel to Wildlife

petegz28
01-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Ok, I am not a big MvW fan as it is because we know he is pretty much put into fabricated situations. The other night I was trying to watch the show and I see him grab a 3ft long lizard by the tail, swing it around and slam its head into a rock to kill it. Now I am not a lover of reptiles by any means, but this was really uncalled for.

This guy unlike Les Stroud, is out with a camera and for all purposes a safety crew. He kills animals really for no reason other than show as I know his crew is not eating half the shit he eats. And on that note, it seems most o fhis show is "look at me and the nasty stuff I will eat".

Les Stroud has trapped and killed animals as well, but there is no other food source for him as he does not have a crew packing lunch and dinner. Also he doesn't just grab any and every moving thing he can find just for the sake of "look at me eat this nast stuff". I understand they are both "survival" shows, only 1 seems to kill to survive and the other seems to kill for show.

I just think shit like what Gryls did makes his show even more ignorant. I am not a PETA member or anything but I wouldn't mind watching some snake or something take a little revenge on this dickhead. It ould be different if he was out there, alone and with no food for 7 days. Then I can understand the need to kill something. But he isn't.

Fish
01-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I hope we don't run out of lizards now....

Man vs. Wild is pointless. But there are lots of other things to be worried about that are more of a threat to wildlife than this...

Taco John
01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
THINK ABOUT THE UNICORNS!

http://www.gosleepgo.com/files/Unicorn%20Magic%20Wallpaper.jpg

Taco John
01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DhdAw72LMSU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DhdAw72LMSU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I just think it is needless and pointless. I guess some of us have more respect for wildlife than others

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Per Discovery:

Bear Grylls and the crew receive support when they are in potentially life threatening situations, as required by health and safety regulations.

On some occasions, situations are presented to Bear so he can demonstrate survival techniques.

Professional advice should always be sought before entering any dangerous environment.

I don't know what this means exactly. I don't really care. I like the show regardless. I also like Stroud's show. I have no problem with these guys demonstrating the harvesting of a few animals along the way.

Brock
01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Eh who cares

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Per Discovery:

Bear Grylls and the crew receive support when they are in potentially life threatening situations, as required by health and safety regulations.

On some occasions, situations are presented to Bear so he can demonstrate survival techniques.

Professional advice should always be sought before entering any dangerous environment.

I don't know what this means exactly. I don't really care. I like the show regardless. I also like Stroud's show. I have no problem with these guys demonstrating the harvesting of a few animals along the way.

It means Bear is too much of a pussy to go out on his own like Stroud does. If Bear was out on his own for 7 days I would have no problem with him killing that lizard. But he wasn't. He had no need to do it. For that matter Bear has no need to kill half of the things he kills.

Fish
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I have the utmost respect for wildlife.

I also acknowledge that most people don't share that respect, and there's nothing I can do about that.

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
:D

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
It means Bear is too much of a pussy to go out on his own like Stroud does. If Bear was out on his own for 7 days I would have no problem with him killing that lizard. But he wasn't. He had no need to do it. For that matter Bear has no need to kill half of the things he kills.

Bah, what do you know about what Bear does and how much time he spends out there. More over, what does it matter? Anyone who calls Bear a wuss is a moron. Who cares if he doesn't do it like Les does for his show? What does that matter? I've got plenty of respect for Les, but this whole Internet armchair analysis that Bear is a wuss is comical. The guy came back from crushing three vertabre, and later went on to climb Mt. Everest. What a wuss!

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Here read this (http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Up-Remarkable-Journey-Everest/dp/0330392263/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232745572&sr=8-4) and get back to me on what a tremendous wuss Bear Grylls is...

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Bah, what do you know about what Bear does and how much time he spends out there. More over, what does it matter? Anyone who calls Bear a wuss is a moron. Who cares if he doesn't do it like Les does for his show? What does that matter? I've got plenty of respect for Les, but this whole Internet armchair analysis that Bear is a wuss is comical. The guy came back from crushing three vertabre, and later went on to climb Mt. Everest. What a wuss!

Just go do a youtube on him and you will be educated. He takes out an entire crew with him in hopes people like you believe otherwise.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Here read this (http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Up-Remarkable-Journey-Everest/dp/0330392263/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232745572&sr=8-4) and get back to me on what a tremendous wuss Bear Grylls is...

Look, you can suck on his balls all you want. The fact is he goes out with a crew and Les goes out by himself. And just because you care about nothing other than yourself does not mean some of us actually respect wildlife.

Radar Chief
01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
He ate his kill, right? Guess I don't see the problem.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:31 PM

There was no reason for him to do it in the first place, is what my point is. It is a matter of opinion, I agree. But I see not the need to kill things when you have 4 or 5 other people right there with you with packs full of food?

jspchief
01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, he should kill lizards in a more humane way like other predators do.

If I ever have a son I may name him Bear Grylls

Valiant
01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Just go do a youtube on him and you will be educated. He takes out an entire crew with him in hopes people like you believe otherwise.

Yeah he got outed awhile ago as a fake..

jspchief
01-23-2009, 02:33 PM
I actually survived being lost in the wild because Bear taught me that eating raw saltwater fish is safer than raw freshwater fish. Thank you Bear for your "pointless" lesson.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Yes, he should kill lizards in a more humane way like other predators do.

If I ever have a son I may name him Bear Grylls

I don't care how he killed it. I am saying he had no need to do it in the first place.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah he got outed awhile ago as a fake..

Oh he is a total fake. There is video after video on youtube of his rigged scenes and such. Which is part of my bitch on here with him killing things just for show.

jspchief
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't care how he killed it. I am saying he had no need to do it in the first place.Highly skill athletes have no "need" to play football every sunday, but I sure enjoy watching them do it.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Highly skill athletes have no "need" to play football every sunday, but I sure enjoy watching them do it.

Sorry, that was an ignorant analogy.

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM

I already know all of that. I told you: I don't care.

I understand that it's a television program - a demonstration.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I already know all of that. I told you: I don't care.

I understand that it's a television program - a demonstration.

Well perhaps you should volunteer next time? I would have no problems watching him smack your head against a rock for no reason other than show. In fact, I'd prefer him do it to you over the lizard :D

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Dude that guy will eat anything - FRIGGIN ANYTHING!

Radar Chief
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
There was no reason for him to do it in the first place, is what my point is. It is a matter of opinion, I agree. But I see not the need to kill things when you have 4 or 5 other people right there with you with packs full of food?

:shrug: Iíve caught fish, fillet them on the spot and throw them in a pan over a fire. Incredibly tasty, unlike anything bought from a store.
Iíve never done that with birds, squirrel, rabbit or deer but it wouldnít bother me either.

Fish

The reason was to show viewers how to have a meal if they should ever find themselves stranded on a lizard-populated island. It's unfortunate that a poor lizard had to be on the receiving end of the demonstration. But in the grand scheme of things, I have faith that the lizard population will overcome...

jspchief
Sorry, that was an ignorant analogy.Sorry, you pissing about who's the tougher TV outdoorsman while crying about the senseless slaughter of lizards makes you sound like a huge bruised vagina.

jspchief
01-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Well perhaps you should volunteer next time? I would have no problems watching him smack your head against a rock for no reason other than show. In fact, I'd prefer him do it to you over the lizard :Dthey have that already. It's called the UFC, and it's popular too, even if those guys are big meanies.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Sorry, you pissing about who's the tougher TV outdoorsman while crying about the senseless slaughter of lizards makes you sound like a huge bruised vagina.

Whatever you wish to think....

Radar Chief
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Dude that guy will eat anything - FRIGGIN ANYTHING!

I think Iíve seen the show. Wasnít he in the desert trapping and eating scorpions one time? Made a fire by polishing the bottom of an aluminum can so that it reflected enough sunlight to ignite his tinder? Or am I thinking of another show?

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
they have that already. It's called the UFC, and it's popular too, even if those guys are big meanies.

Dude, can you actually come up with analogy that makes sense? That is the second idiotic analogy you have tried to use. STFU

jspchief
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Remember the crippling diarrhea he got from the water in the rain forest? I'll bet a little lizard meat to soak that up would have done the trick.

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I actually survived being lost in the wild because Bear taught me that eating raw saltwater fish is safer than raw freshwater fish. Thank you Bear for your "pointless" lesson.

I'd love to read that story. Do you have it posted somewhere?

I just finished a couple of Krakauer books recently: Into Thin Air, and Into the Wild. Excellent reads.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Remember the crippling diarrhea he got from the water in the rain forest? I'll bet a little lizard meat to soak that up would have done the trick.

The crippling diarrhea he got from drinking water he didn't have to drink? Did the dumb fuck even try to use his McGyver like skills to build a fire and boil it first? STFU

petegz28
01-23-2009, 02:44 PM

One, I don't believe you. Two read a book, that is rather common sense that fresh water is easily more tainted than salt.

JBucc
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I guess it wasn't one of those lizards that can lose their tails and grow them back later? If it was, it would have survived. Another weak animal that won't pollute the gene pool.

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I think I’ve seen the show. Wasn’t he in the desert trapping and eating scorpions one time? Made a fire by polishing the bottom of an aluminum can so that it reflected enough sunlight to ignite his tinder? Or am I thinking of another show?

Yep... That's the guy:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqkIDd0hFbI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqkIDd0hFbI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What a wuss!

Taco John
01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
The crippling diarrhea he got from drinking water he didn't have to drink? Did the dumb **** even try to use his McGyver like skills to build a fire and boil it first? STFU

You Bear Grryls anti-fan boys can't keep your story straight... If he drinks the water that his crew carries with them (for themselves and for Bear if things get tragic) while they're filming, he's a cheating wuss. And if he drinks the water from the amazon that gives him crippling diarrhea, he's a dumb shit for drinking water that he doesn't have to drink.

I'd love to hear your idea on what he's supposed to boil water in out there, considering he drops in with nearly zero equipment for himself except his clothes and a knife.

Frazod
01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
He's former special forces, has climbed Everest, and even if some of his stuff is staged, big fucking deal? So what if he's not as "real" as the other guy? He could probably kill everyone who posted on this thread with his bare hands and not even break a sweat.

googlegoogle
01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
This is the dick show that faked scenes. I have no respect for him.

The other survival show is really interesting. That dude plays with his life though. I remember the polar bears walking near his tent at night. Not smart. That is real high risk if not faked like Mr Bear Gryll.

Bear Gryll. Faker.
http://the730.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/bear_grylls_in_jungle.jpg

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
You Bear Grryls anti-fan boys can't keep your story straight... If he drinks the water that his crew carries with them (for themselves and for Bear if things get tragic) while they're filming, he's a cheating wuss. And if he drinks the water from the amazon that gives him crippling diarrhea, he's a dumb shit for drinking water that he doesn't have to drink.

I'd love to hear your idea on what he's supposed to boil water in out there, considering he drops in with nearly zero equipment for himself except his clothes and a knife.

Well, he is supposed to be the expert. How come Stroud can find stuff to boil water in and such?

Taco John
01-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Well, he is supposed to be the expert. How come Stroud can find stuff to boil water in and such?

Hahaha! Do you even do any outdoorsmanship?

Seriously? You talk like someone who spends all his time in the city.

Start with something simple like a nature hike.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Hahaha! Do you even do any outdoorsmanship?

Seriously? You talk like someone who spends all his time in the city.

Start with something simple like a nature hike.

Well, once again you have managed to let your ass overload your mouth, as usual.

jspchief
01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Wait a second... maybe we need Pete's criteria for "need".

You're acting like Les Stroud is actually lost in the wilderness, rather than placing himself in these situations in the interest of making a TV show and a buck. If Stroud is so god damn smart why doesn't he take a box of cheerios to eat and a f*cking helicopter to get out.

Do you "need" to eat meat from all those senselessly killed cows, pigs, and chickens?

WTF is this thread even about? Lizards dieing horribly? whether Grylls is a badass? or whether he's a badder ass than Stroud?

All I know is Bear Grylls is probably tougher than 99% of the population. Whether or not Stroud is tougher has no bearing on the entertainment value of that show. And I don't give two shits about that ****ing lizard.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Wait a second... maybe we need Pete's criteria for "need".

You're acting like Les Stroud is actually lost in the wilderness, rather than placing himself in these situations in the interest of making a TV show and a buck. If Stroud is so god damn smart why doesn't he take a box of cheerios to eat and a f*cking helicopter to get out.

Do you "need" to eat meat from all those senselessly killed cows, pigs, and chickens?

WTF is this thread even about? Lizards dieing horribly? whether Grylls is a badass? or whether he's a badder ass than than Stroud?

All I know is Bear Grylls is probably tougher than 99% of the population. Whether or not Stroud is tougher has no bearing on the entertainment value of that show. And I don't give two shits about that ****ing lizard.

Well, I'm real proud of ya!

Silock
01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I can see why some people might think it's unnecessary, and it probably is.

However, it was just a lizard. We do worse things to the meat we eat from grocery stores.

jspchief
01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, he is supposed to be the expert. How come Stroud can find stuff to boil water in and such?If Stroud is so f*cking smart, why is he lost in the wilderness to begin with. With almost no survival gear (besides cameras so he can cash in on his "survival")?

Demonpenz
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I can see why some people might think it's unnecessary, and it probably is.

However, it was just a lizard. We do worse things to the meat we eat from grocery stores.

no shit i stick my dick in the stuff

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
If Stroud is so f*cking smart, why is he lost in the wilderness to begin with. With almost no survival gear (besides cameras so he can cash in on his "survival")?

Oncea gain, you fail at analogies and such. Just stop already, you obviously struggle with such things.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
no shit i stick my dick in the stuff

So which is better, grain-fed or grass-fed? LMAO

Demonpenz
01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
So which is better, grain-fed or grass-fed? LMAO

it's all pink on the inside

jspchief
01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Oncea gain, you fail at analogies and such. Just stop already, you obviously struggle with such things.And you fail at making a salient point.

Near as I can tell, you just want to say "Stroud is my favorite", but for some reason chose to involve lizards and "necessity" as if what you are saying is somehow deeper than "my guy is better".

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
And you fail at making a salient point.

Near as I can tell, you just want to say "Stroud is my favorite", but for some reason chose to involve lizards and "necessity" as if what you are saying is somehow deeper than "my guy is better".

Well, you can't make appropriate analogies, so not reading the OP is no shock either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok, I am not a big MvW fan as it is because we know he is pretty much put into fabricated situations. The other night I was trying to watch the show and I see him grab a 3ft long lizard by the tail, swing it around and slam its head into a rock to kill it. Now I am not a lover of reptiles by any means, but this was really uncalled for.

This guy unlike Les Stroud, is out with a camera and for all purposes a safety crew. He kills animals really for no reason other than show as I know his crew is not eating half the shit he eats. And on that note, it seems most o fhis show is "look at me and the nasty stuff I will eat".

Les Stroud has trapped and killed animals as well, but there is no other food source for him as he does not have a crew packing lunch and dinner. Also he doesn't just grab any and every moving thing he can find just for the sake of "look at me eat this nast stuff". I understand they are both "survival" shows, only 1 seems to kill to survive and the other seems to kill for show.

I just think shit like what Gryls did makes his show even more ignorant. I am not a PETA member or anything but I wouldn't mind watching some snake or something take a little revenge on this dickhead. It ould be different if he was out there, alone and with no food for 7 days. Then I can understand the need to kill something. But he isn't.

That show is Jackass! in the wild. Survivorman was actually informative.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
He's former special forces, has climbed Everest, and even if some of his stuff is staged, big fucking deal? So what if he's not as "real" as the other guy? He could probably kill everyone who posted on this thread with his bare hands and not even break a sweat.

The real point, I think, is that if you tried it his way you are most likely going to die, because jumping off of a waterfall and tempting snakes aren't intelligent things to do when you are alone.

Survivorman stresses safety first. Man vs. Wild is just about watching some dude do something stupid and/or disgusting.

The cool thing about Stroud's show is that if he fucks up, he doesn't eat, or he freezes his ass off during the night. He doesn't spend the night in the Four Seasons. That way, you actually learn the consequences of fucking up and/or not doing something right, rather than treating it like a stunt.

JBucc
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I prefer Stroud's show (which I think is done now?), but MvW is still fun, even if it's more of an entertainment show that pure survival.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I prefer Stroud's show (which I think is done now?), but MvW is still fun, even if it's more of an entertainment show that pure survival.

Yes, Stroud is done, for now.

KCChiefsMan
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I thought it was kinda ****ed up that he killed an alligator, and ate a tiny piece of the tail. Then the next day he noodles a huge catfish and takes one raw bite and thats it. Now I know there aren't any refridgerators out there, but eat more! I'm a Les fan btw.

KCChiefsMan
01-23-2009, 03:49 PM
did you guys ever see that episode where Bear is on an island that looks like it had food sources and he said "The best thing to do is build a raft and seek rescue in the ocean" and of course he builds it and goes out in the middle of the ocean and runs right into a boat.

uhhh, I'd be staying on that island.

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I thought it was kinda ****ed up that he killed an alligator, and ate a tiny piece of the tail. Then the next day he noodles a huge catfish and takes one raw bite and thats it. Now I know there aren't any refridgerators out there, but eat more! I'm a Les fan.

Thank you! Finally someone who gets it. We all know he didn't eat that lizard. He took a bite then they turned off the camera and he chowed down on a ham sandwich and doritos. ROFL

petegz28
01-23-2009, 03:52 PM
did you guys ever see that episode where Bear is on an island that looks like it had food sources and he said "The best thing to do is build a raft and seek rescue in the ocean" and of course he builds it and goes out in the middle of the ocean and runs right into a boat.

uhhh, I'd be staying on that island.

Actually I would think that would be the worst thing to do. Build a raft, get out at sea and hit a storm....you're fish food and your raft building project never gets credit!

And I did see that one. The raft was "pre-built" for him.

Taco John
01-23-2009, 03:53 PM

I feel the same way.

Frazod
01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
The real point, I think, is that if you tried it his way you are most likely going to die, because jumping off of a waterfall and tempting snakes aren't intelligent things to do when you are alone.

Survivorman stresses safety first. Man vs. Wild is just about watching some dude do something stupid and/or disgusting.

The cool thing about Stroud's show is that if he fucks up, he doesn't eat, or he freezes his ass off during the night. He doesn't spend the night in the Four Seasons. That way, you actually learn the consequences of fucking up and/or not doing something right, rather than treating it like a stunt.

Valid points. But none of these things make the guy a pussy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Valid points. But none of these things make the guy a pussy.

I don't agree that he's a pussy. He is a dumbass, though, and anyone who follows his lead is also being a dumbass.