PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Heath Ledger can suck my balls... Eastwood was snubbed.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:41 AM
Heath Ledger.. was a fine actor before he partied himself to death.. but it is a fracking disgrace that he would get an Oscar nod for a kitchy joke of a role compared to Eastwood not getting ONE nomination for what may be one of the best movies of the last decade...

Anyone who thinks Ledger's performance in Batman compare to Eastwoods ACTING, DIRECTING, PRODUCING of Gran Torino... is a complete idiot.

Sorry, no questions, indefensible point... done.

I actually think that most of CP's members... (GoChiefs excluded) are too smart to think otherwise....

beer bacon
01-25-2009, 03:44 AM
I have to disagree with this. I love Eastwood's westerns, and I like Eastwood as a director, but Ledger's Joker is what made The Dark Knight great. The real travesty is that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for best picture.

keg in kc
01-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Ledger's nod was for best supporting actor. Unless you think Eastwood should've been in that category, I don't get the point.

And I haven't see Gran Torino yet, but you're the first person I've seen who called it one of the last decade's best. Most of what I've read on it was that it was a major disappointment.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:46 AM
I have to disagree with this. I love Eastwood's westerns, and I like Eastwood as a director, but Ledger's Joker is what made The Dark Knight great. The real travesty is that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for best picture.

umm, ok.. Dark Knight is a "fun" film... Gran Torino is a work of ART...

Serious, man... can you compare the two? if, so.. I pity you.

Fruit Ninja
01-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Take your drunk ass to bed. Ledger deserves the recognition for that role. He made that movie.

Fruit Ninja

IMO its not about if the movie was a fun movie or a serious movie. Its about the part in the movie. He played it awesome.

AustinChief
Ledger's nod was for best supporting actor. Unless you think Eastwood should've been in that category, I don't get the point.

My point is that Eastwood got NOTHING.. and a dead party kid got a pity nomination for a god damn DC comics movie... just sad.

keg in kc
01-25-2009, 03:48 AM
umm, ok.. Dark Knight is a "fun" film... I don't know what Dark Knight you watched. "Fun" isn't a word that comes to mind.

Tribal Warfare
01-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Gran Torino is a work of ART...

The Dark Knight was too, any film compared to The Untouchables and Heat certainly deserves to be in that category also.

keg in kc
My point is that Eastwood got NOTHING.. General consensus is that he got what he deserved for the movie. Like I said, most people apparently didn't like it.

I haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure.

AustinChief
IMO its not about if the movie was a fun movie or a serious movie. Its about the part in the movie. He played it awesome.

ok, yes, he ACTED well in a shit comic book, DC movie... that is like being the tallest midget...

I REALLY like Ledger... but seriously...

AustinChief
The Dark Knight was too, any film compared to The Untouchables and Heat certainly deserves to be in that category also.

FAIL

Tribal Warfare
01-25-2009, 03:50 AM
FAIL

How?

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:51 AM
General consensus is that he got what he deserved for the movie. Like I said, most people apparently didn't like it.

I haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure.

Trust me, see it. It is on the level of UNFORGIVEN. It is truly a great film.

Again.. Dark Knight is a fine film... but it is FAR from being on this level...

keg in kc
01-25-2009, 03:52 AM
ok, yes, he ACTED well in a shit comic book, DC movie... .Good luck defending that position.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:54 AM
How?

Because it is fine ENTERTAINMENT... do you really want to tell me that it was a work of art.. that it compares with UNFORGIVEN or CASABLANCA or THE HUSTLER...?

(insert great films here)

It is a great piece of entertainment,... and Ledger was brilliant in it... but come on...

Tribal Warfare
Again.. Dark Knight is a fine film... but it is FAR from being on this level...

The Dark Knight will be remembered as The Godfather of Superhero genre's Gran Torino will be forgotten but The Dark Knight won't. That's what makes it art, that it will held as a true classic for generations to come.

keg in kc
Trust me, see it. It is on the level of UNFORGIVEN. It is truly a great film.I'll probably see in on HBO; I'm not spending money on it. Not with The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire in theaters right now.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Good luck defending that position.

ha, seriously... good luck?

ok, try thinking AHEAD ten or twenty years.. which movie will resonate.. which movie will people look to with reverence.. it sure as shit isn't going to be the dark knight....

Ok, if you haven't seen Gran Torino.. I will give you an equal... UNFORGIVAN... do you really believe that Ledger out performaned... Eastwood, Hackman, Freeman, or Harris?

If you do... I pity you.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:58 AM
The Dark Knight will be remembered as The Godfather of Superhero genre's Gran Torino will be forgotten but The Dark Knight won't. That's what makes it art, that it will held as a true classic for generations to come.

wow.

spoken from someone who either has not seen Gran Torino.. OR who is a DC weenie and may want to change their username to GoChiefs2

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 03:59 AM
I'll probably see in on HBO; I'm not spending money on it. Not with The Wrestler and Slumdog Millionaire in theaters right now.

Kyle, trust me on this... it is WELL worth seeing in the theatre, YOU of all people would appreciate it.

Just my $.02 but I hope you take my advice.

Fruit Ninja
01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
ok, yes, he ACTED well in a shit comic book, DC movie... that is like being the tallest midget...

I REALLY like Ledger... but seriously...

It doesnt matter if it was based off a comic book or not. Its about how he played the role and only that.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:04 AM
It doesnt matter if it was based off a comic book or not. Its about how he played the role and only that.

I admit he was great... but JESUS people... my sister was great in our grade school production of Annie...

ok, I have probably jumped the gun on this because I doubt many of you have seen Gran Torino... but as I said before... would ANY of you say that Ledger out-performed the 4 best in UNFORGIVEN?

That is the level that I am putting Gran Torino.... just sad that it didn't get NEAR the credit it deserves...

anyone want to guess why??? My guess (and it is a pure guess) is that it was too non-PC. Eastwood took film purely based on that fact....

Wyndex
01-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Eastwood starred in Gran Torino
Ledger co-starred in Dark Knight

that fuck are you arguing exactly?

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Is this guy just drunk or completely out of his mind?

I've seen Gran Torino. It's merely okay. It was entertaining, but for you to compare it to Unforgiven is completely ridiculous.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:07 AM
ok, I have probably jumped the gun on this because I doubt many of you have seen Gran Torino... but as I said before... would ANY of you say that Ledger out-performed the 4 best in UNFORGIVEN?

Yes, without a freaking doubt.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:08 AM
Eastwood starred in Gran Torino
Ledger co-starred in Dark Knight

that fuck are you arguing exactly?

Eastwood starred, directed, produced Gran Torino...

Ledger costarred in Dark Knight...

the argument is that a dead party kid iswho did a fine job in a entertaining movie... got an oscar nod and an ARTIST who created a fantastic movie got snubbed... IN THREE catagories

THAT is the point...

simply put... the current talk is on how dead Ledger got nominated when it should be on WHY THE FUCK didn't Eastwood get at least one nomination...

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:10 AM
I've got to be honest here...you are fucked.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Yes, without a freaking doubt.

Wow. ok, you may be functionally retarded if you honestly feel that way.

Wow. Serious? Or are you just arguing for argument sake?

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:13 AM
I've got to be honest here...you are fucked.

Yes Claythan, you may be right... fucked by... appreciation for great films? fucked by lack of pop influence? fucked by disdain for the TMZ?

KC_Connection
I've argued enough with morons tonight, I'm out.

keg in kc
ha, seriously... good luck?

ok, try thinking AHEAD ten or twenty years.. which movie will resonate.. which movie will people look to with reverence.. it sure as shit isn't going to be the dark knight....

Ok, if you haven't seen Gran Torino.. I will give you an equal... UNFORGIVAN... do you really believe that Ledger out performaned... Eastwood, Hackman, Freeman, or Harris?

If you do... I pity you.I'm the wrong person to talk to on this one, I paid three times to see Dark Knight in IMAX and I have it on DVD (I don't buy many DVDs). I'd say it's the best movie I've seen in 4 or 5 years. And I've seen a lot of movies in that time.

Nothing about it's a comic book movie. It's a crime drama, which is why people have compared it to The Untouchables and Heat and other films, as Tribal mentioned. The source material may be a funny book, but it broke the boundaries of the genre. It's the first comic book movie to do that, which is one of the reasons it will resonate in 20 years, and why it's going to have an impact on moviemaking for the next several years, likely in the form of several more 'serious' comic book films. Because you don't make a billion dollars without leaving a fingerprint.

I seriously doubt Gran Torino will have that kind of legacy. But I'm no film scholar.

Swazey
01-25-2009, 04:14 AM
WHAT? What was so fantastic about it? Gran Torino isn't necessarily a bad film... but it was slightly less boring than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:15 AM
I've argued enough with morons tonight, I'm out.

Nice job.. Ad hominid much?

next time bring an argument to the table. Fucknut

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm the wrong person to talk to on this one, I paid three times to see Dark Knight in IMAX and I have it on DVD (I don't buy many DVDs). I'd say it's the best movie I've seen in 4 or 5 years. And I've seen a lot of movies in that time.

Nothing about it's a comic book movie. It's a crime drama, which is why people have compared it to The Untouchables and Heat and other films, as Tribal mentioned. The source material may be a funny book, but it broke the boundaries of the genre. It's the first comic book movie to do that, which is one of the reasons it will resonate in 20 years, and why it's going to have an impact on moviemaking for the next several years, likely in the form of several more 'serious' comic book films. Because you don't make a billion dollars without leaving a fingerprint.

I seriously doubt Gran Torino will have that kind of legacy. But I'm no film scholar.

Go see it and I think you may feel different... do me one favor and trust me.. .I know you well enough to think you would appreciate the subleties in the film... most don't...

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:18 AM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201071

Sorry, clearly I should have said drunk morons.

And it's spelt ad hominem, fuckface.

Raiderhater58
01-25-2009, 04:20 AM
seen both films, loved both films, Gran Torino although it was a good movie, just felt like it was missing something. I wasnt real impressed with the acting ability of either of the Asian kids. Dark Knight blew my socks off ... Without the Joker character I probably wouldnt have been as interested.

Im drunk its 4am this may be complete nonsense, I dont give a fuck

Goodnight :)

Fruit Ninja
01-25-2009, 04:21 AM
I am not saying Clint doesnt deserve to be up there for leading actor, but you simply cant just deny Ledgers performance as well.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:22 AM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201071

Sorry, clearly I should have said drunk morons.

And it's spelt ad hominem, fuckface.

yes thank you for the correction... yet... do you have an actual argument beyond "fuckface"?

or is it simply "I am gonna call him names because for fucks sake I can't support my point"?

Seriously? You think Heath ledger's performance was better than Hackman or Freeman or even Harris in Unforgivan (I may actually give you Harris on this one..)

Fruit Ninja
01-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Hell, i thought Val Kilmers role in "Felon" was bad ass as well. lol Sometimes folks just dont get there.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:24 AM
I am not saying Clint doesnt deserve to be up there for leading actor, but you simply cant just deny Ledgers performance as well.

I watched Gran Torino because I love Clint Eastwood movies. But he doesn't deserve to be up there, not this year with all those contenders.

Everybody that isn't a delusional, drunk, ****ed up retard knows that Ledger deserves it, though.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:25 AM

I'm not denying Ledger ... just saying that it is not even close (in my opinion) to the level of ACTING OR DIRECTING that Eastwood did in GT... now again.. as has been mentioned.. the Asian kids were't the best and I am not saying the movie deserves best picture... but Eastwood as both an actor and director was on top of his game.... and it amazes me that Ledger is getting all the press and he isn't

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:27 AM
I watched Gran Torino because I love Clint Eastwood movies. But he doesn't deserve to be up there, not this year with all those contenders.

Everybody that isn't a delusional, drunk, ****ed up retard knows that Ledger deserves it, though.

I didn't say Ledger doesn't deserve it compared to the rest of the field.. I said it is SAD that he gets a nod and Eastwood does NOT...

I could have picked on much worse and less talked about Oscar nominees... but he was the easiest and most "newsworthy" target.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Just stop. Seriously. You are embarrassing yourself.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Just stop. Seriously. You are embarrassing yourself.

wow, if you aren't an arrogant fuck.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:30 AM
wow, if you aren't an arrogant ****.

You're the one saying Heath Ledger "partied himself to death" like some kind of fucking idiot. Go to sleep before this looks any worse on you.

Raiderhater58
01-25-2009, 04:30 AM

Hes got a Jayhawk avatar what did you expect :)

keg in kc
01-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Seriously? You think Heath ledger's performance was better than Hackman or Freeman or even Harris in Unforgivan (I may actually give you Harris on this one..)It doesn't have to be. It only has to be better than Josh Brolin in Milk, Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder, Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt or Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road. I don't know if he'll win or not. It depends on whether the bonus for being a posthumous award outweighs the penalty of being a portrayal in a comic book film.

How Dark Knight compares to Unforgiven really doesn't mean anything, and Unforgiven really doesn't have any relevance to Gran Torino, either. Unless Clint's up for a lifetime award. It's about how Gran Torino compares to all the other movies that came out in 2008, not just Dark Knight, which itself isn't up for either best picture or best director. If you've got a beef, it should be with Benjamin Button or Frost/Nixon or Milk or The Reader or Slumdog Millionaire.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:34 AM
You're the one saying Heath Ledger "partied himself to death" like some kind of fucking idiot. Go to sleep before this looks any worse on you.

Are you a moron? How did Ledger die? A DRUG OVERDOSE.

Which is fine.. just not something to pity... he didn't die volunteering at a leper colony...

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:37 AM
The report concludes, in part, "Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine."[13][15] It also states definitively: "We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."[13][15] The medications found in the toxicological analysis are commonly prescribed in the United States for insomnia, anxiety, depression, pain, and/or cold symptoms.

Sounds like a real fun party he was having on that bed by himself.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Again, just stop, because you are clearly too fucked up to even understand most of the shit you are writing.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:40 AM
It doesn't have to be. It only has to be better than Josh Brolin in Milk, Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder, Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt or Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road. I don't know if he'll win or not. It depends on whether the bonus for being a posthumous award outweighs the penalty of being a portrayal in a comic book film.

How Dark Knight compares to Unforgiven really doesn't mean anything, and Unforgiven really doesn't have any relevance to Gran Torino, either. Unless Clint's up for a lifetime award. It's about how Gran Torino compares to all the other movies that came out in 2008, not just Dark Knight, which itself isn't up for either best picture or best director. If you've got a beef, it should be with Benjamin Button or Frost/Nixon or Milk or The Reader or Slumdog Millionaire.

You are correct.. I went a little Apple to Oranges... It was more about the press coverage and the hype than the actual catagories nominated....

I honestly think Gran Torino is better than Button, Slumdog, etc... (I haven't seen The Wrestler.. and I have heard great things... so I will reserve judgement...)

BUT agian, not the point... my point is that Ledger (though he did a fine job) is undesrvedly getting more press than Eastwood who I believe made a groundbreaking film....

I will stand by this point... and I can gaurantee that should ChiefPlanet be aroundin 10-20 years.. we can revist this thread and I will be vindicated....

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:42 AM
and I can gaurantee that should ChiefPlanet be aroundin 10-20 years.. we can revist this thread and I will be vindicated....

Yep, you'll be remembered as the drunk lunatic with an awful taste of movies.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:42 AM
Again, just stop, because you are clearly too fucked up to even understand most of the shit you are writing.

so my excuse is drunkeness?

your excuse is what? stupidity?

Hey, at least I will be sober tomorrow... you'll still be an idiot.

what part of DRUG OVERDOSE do you not get?

you don't have to have an hotel room full of hookers to be "partying"....

He died from taking too many drugs... do you agree with that at least?

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:44 AM
*Sigh*

Goodnight, for real this time.

tk13
01-25-2009, 04:44 AM
I understand how he's become kind of a cult figure because he died, but I do think some of the other great performances have been overshadowed from The Dark Knight. Ledger was a critical piece, no doubt, he deserves all the awards he gets, his performance was amazing. But I really think the entire cast was spot on. Aaron Eckhart for instance was outstanding too, at least I thought so.

I definitely wouldn't treat it like just a popcorn flick. It's on an entirely different level than most superhero movies... the real shame is Christopher Nolan doesn't get more attention than he does. There's a lot of attention to detail in his movies.

I think you give most directors what he tried to do with TDK and it would've been a mess. The whole movie is full of twists and turns, but the last 30 minutes or so of the movie you literally had about four different things going on simultaneously, and he handled it beautifully. You had a hostage situation, the thing with the boats, trying to get the Joker, while Gordon's family is in trouble, and even a couple of those had extra twists within them. I could go on, but it really should've been up for Best Picture.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 04:47 AM
*Sigh*

Goodnight, for real this time.

nice dodge....

I had an ex-g/f used to pull the same dismissive thing when she ran out of things to say...

gnight Marilyn.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:48 AM
I could go on, but it really should've been up for Best Picture.

One more thing...what made The Dark Knight any better than Batman Begins? Both were equally good movies, IMO.

JOhn
01-25-2009, 04:55 AM
KC_ I have read the "shit" Austin is posting, and it makes more sense than anything I have EVER seen you post.

Btw, with a list of drugs like that it ones system, only a moron or fellow addict in denial would say he wasn't partying:shake:

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 04:58 AM
KC_ I have read the "shit" Austin is posting, and it makes more sense than anything I have EVER seen you post.

Yeah...I'm not exactly sure who the hell you are.

Btw, with a list of drugs like that it ones system, only a moron or fellow addict in denial would say he wasn't partying:shake:
Or maybe he was just incredibly depressed and having trouble sleeping, as has been reported.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:02 AM

Or maybe he was just incredibly depressed and having trouble sleeping, as has been reported.

Holy shit, are you that naive or just that sheltered???

MOST of those are "party" drugs... and if you have ever worked at a bar (in a real town) or on a movie or tv show... you would know that those are passed around like candy... he was probably coked up at the time as well... it all goes hand in hand.

Do you want to have the recreational pharmacology argument as well?

JOhn
01-25-2009, 05:02 AM

#1 the person you Neg rep, who happens to agree that DK wasn't ok, not nearly a classic or even great film.

#2 Is just to funny to even believe :shake:

Even with your "logic" were does oxycodone, hydrocodone fit in? Not for sleeping or depression. And any respectable Dr would never prescribe both at the same time or ever to be used while taking diazepam

tk13
01-25-2009, 05:04 AM
I don't want to go on a super long monologue about it, I think it's clearly better, at least to me. But that's because it's not just straight ahead plot, plot, there is twist after twist after twist, and they are very well done. It's not just the typical "oh this person's held hostage", there's always something more to it. While you have Batman on one side and the Joker on the other, and Dent being pulled between them struggling with his morality.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Heath Ledger can suck my balls...

Forget the movie talk. This is one of the most disgusting, rude, classless things I have seen posted on here. Telling a dead man to suck your balls because he might posthumously win an award is pretty twisted. Who really cares how he died, you should not disgrace the dead in this way....

Simply- I do not believe Ledger deserves this award because....yada yada yada would suffice.

You my friend, AustinChief, should know this and hopefully you will regret the wording of this post.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 05:06 AM
I don't want to go on a super long monologue about it, I think it's clearly better, at least to me. But that's because it's not just straight ahead plot, plot, there is twist after twist after twist, and they are very well done. It's not just the typical "oh this person's held hostage", there's always something more to it. While you have Batman on one side and the Joker on the other, and Dent being pulled between them struggling with his morality.

I think Ledger may have made it better, but really they weren't too different for me.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:09 AM

Hard to sleep when you are coked up and high on Xanax, Vicodain, Valium, and Oxycodone... best idea... take two high powered sleeping pills!

Again, I am not saying he was a bad person... but live by the sword , die by the sword...

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 05:09 AM
MOST of those are "party" drugs... and if you have ever worked at a bar (in a real town) or on a movie or tv show... you would know that those are passed around like candy... he was probably coked up at the time as well... it all goes hand in hand.

umm...You do realize I never said they weren't.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 05:10 AM
Hard to sleep when you are coked up and high on Xanax, Vicodain, Valium, and Oxycodone... best idea... take two high powered sleeping pills!

Again, I am not saying he was a bad person... but live by the sword , die by the sword...

Sounds to me like the guy was in a serious state of depression.

Swazey
01-25-2009, 05:13 AM
How he died doesn't negate his contribution to The Dark Knight.... and there is nothing "ground breaking" about Gran Torino.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 05:14 AM
How he died doesn't negate his contribution to The Dark Knight.... and there is nothing "ground breaking" about Gran Torino.

Somebody should tell the drunk idiot and his sidekick that, methinks.

JOhn
01-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Sounds to me like the guy was in a serious state of depression.

More like Addiction.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 05:15 AM
More like Addiction.

That, too. The two often go hand-in-hand.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Heath Ledger can suck my balls...

Forget the movie talk. This is one of the most disgusting, rude, classless things I have seen posted on here. Telling a dead man to suck your balls because he might posthumously win an award is pretty twisted. Who really cares how he died, you should not disgrace the dead in this way....

Simply- I do not believe Ledger deserves this award because....yada yada yada would suffice.

You my friend, AustinChief, should know this and hopefully you will regret the wording of this post.

Wow, do you know he was Australian? Unless he was some kind of pansy outlier Aussie... I SERIOUSLY doubt he would be offended by my post... as a matter of fact.. most Aussies I know would be more offended by your post...

As I have stated thoughout the thread, my offense is not to Heath, but to the pandering he has received over Eastwood AND I have made it clear that I could care less how he died (personally) BUT I find it funny how many people and the press gloss over the facts....

If anyone was payting attention.. this isn't so much about Heath Ledger (he was an easy prop to use for the argument) it was about Eastwood being snubbed.

You have left me with a catch 22... on the one hand I want to say... if Heaths ghost is offended by my post then I apologize... BUT if that IS the case than I have no respect for said ghost and I retract said apology...

Jesus man, lighten up.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Somebody should tell the drunk idiot and his sidekick that, methinks.

Wow, you just don't know when to quit....

OK, so you have backtracked on the "party" argument... (I am gonna assume you are conceding the point?)

I guess now you are gonna deflect and make it about "the Dark Knight" is a great movie...

which... is something I have not brought in to play one way or another... I could care less what everyone's opinion of the movie is... I am simply upset that Ledger is getting a ton of press and Eastwood virtually none..

Swazey
01-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Sooooo.... how 'bout them Chiefs?

stumppy
01-25-2009, 05:24 AM

You haven't been around much the last year or so have you ?

You can't swing a dead cat around in this place without out hitting an arrogant prick anymore.:D

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Wow, do you know he was Australian? Unless he was some kind of pansy outlier Aussie... I SERIOUSLY doubt he would be offended by my post... as a matter of fact.. most Aussies I know would be more offended by your post...

As I have stated thoughout the thread, my offense is not to Heath, but to the pandering he has received over Eastwood AND I have made it clear that I could care less how he died (personally) BUT I find it funny how many people and the press gloss over the facts....

If anyone was payting attention.. this isn't so much about Heath Ledger (he was an easy prop to use for the argument) it was about Eastwood being snubbed.

You have left me with a catch 22... on the one hand I want to say... if Heaths ghost is offended by my post then I apologize... BUT if that IS the case than I have no respect for said ghost and I retract said apology...

Jesus man, lighten up.

It is not about offending his ghost, but it does say alot about you as a person. In the last year I have had 7 funerals to go to and am haunted everyday by their deaths (6 in Iraq and 1 suicide). If you said suck my balls about any one of them I would slam my e-tool through the side of your skull. All I am saying is that you should have tact and YOU should know better.

As I have stated thoughout the thread, my offense is not to Heath,(but he can suck my balls?!?!... quit backpedaling....)

You do not have a leg to stand on... Again, I do not care about the movies, just your rediculously rude title. Just say that maybe you shouldn't have worded it that way.... humble yourself a bit?

Jesus man, have some respect for the dead.

tk13
01-25-2009, 05:29 AM
I think Ledger may have made it better, but really they weren't too different for me.
I really think it was much better, and I think they're going to have a hard time topping it in the next movie. You could really go all the way through, the armored car scene, etc. But like I said earlier, even just the ending... in the first movie there was basically one problem everybody was trying to fix. Nothing wrong with that, but the amount of suspense created in the Dark Knight at the end was great. You had the hostage situation, which had an extra twist (who are the bad guys?), the people on the boats, trying to get the Joker, also while Gordon's family was being held hostage. In between all that action pretty much every character adds his two cents to the morality and blurred lines of good vs. evil debate to pull the plot together. Which is played out on the ferries, are the people on the boat any better than criminals if they choose to kill the other boat? And on and on, you really could discuss this for a while.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:33 AM
It is not about offending his ghost, but it does say alot about you as a person. In the last year I have had 7 funerals to go to and am haunted everyday by their deaths (6 in Iraq and 1 suicide). If you said suck my balls about any one of them I would slam my e-tool through the side of your skull. All I am saying is that you should have tact and YOU should know better.

As I have stated thoughout the thread, my offense is not to Heath,(but he can suck my balls?!?!... quit backpedaling....)

You do not have a leg to stand on... Again, I do not care about the movies, just your rediculously rude title. Just say that maybe you shouldn't have worded it that way.... humble yourself a bit?

I am gonna assumme you have no Australian/Irish/Scottish friends... and we'll leave it at that.

As I have stated MANY times in this thread I picked Heath to pick on for a number of reasons... one of which is that I don't feel the LEAST bit bad being irreverent to him.... if he was a famous bubble-boy who just succumbed to cancer than yes, I would be an ass for my thread... but again... I think you need to step back and realize the context and the culture.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Twists don't make a movie.

And IMO, the hostage scene on the boats wasn't realistic at all. In a situation like that, your desire to survive trumps every other possible feeling. In real life, they would have chosen to kill each other.

JOhn
01-25-2009, 05:40 AM
You haven't been around much the last year or so have you ?

You can't swing a dead cat around in this place without out hitting an arrogant prick anymore.:D

Aint that the truth.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:40 AM
I am gonna assumme you have no Australian/Irish/Scottish friends... and we'll leave it at that.

As I have stated MANY times in this thread I picked Heath to pick on for a number of reasons... one of which is that I don't feel the LEAST bit bad being irreverent to him.... if he was a famous bubble-boy who just succumbed to cancer than yes, I would be an ass for my thread... but again... I think you need to step back and realize the context and the culture.

Ahhh, should've realized you are one of those.... (By the way I'm Irish from a large Irish family)

The only thing I realize is that you are a person that will "deny till they die" and deflect everything onto others. It doesn't really matter to you , but I have lost respect for you. All you had to say..... Maybe I shouldn't have worded it that way... but you are indeed..... ugh, nevermind.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:45 AM

I will now cheer myself up.....

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Ok, reread your posts and mine... and....

you can suck my balls.... I am damn tired of women empathizing with people they have never met....

If Heath is your buddy and pal and you know for a fact he would be offended... than please let me know and I will discuss this civilly with you...

OTHERWISE, shut the fuck up... How do you know that Heath and his family are not embarrassed by YOUR tirade against me?

This is the typical American Liberal/Religious (I know, wierd as it may seem, they fall in the same lock-step in this regard...) attitude that tries to enforce beliefs on anyone they don't agree with...

Sorry, but peddle YOUR guilt elsewhere. There are plent of ignorant people who may be buying, but I'm full up here.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Ahhh, should've realized you are one of those.... (By the way I'm Irish from a large Irish family)

YOU ARE NOT IRISH.. JESUS. If you didn't live for at least a month in Ireland than you have no CLUE what it is to be Irish.

Irish-American is a far cry from it... actually possibly OPPOSITE from it.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:50 AM
The only thing I realize is that you are a person that will "deny till they die" and deflect everything onto others. It doesn't really matter to you , but I have lost respect for you. All you had to say..... Maybe I shouldn't have worded it that way... but you are indeed..... ugh, nevermind.

Wow, I have no judgement on YOU as a person... maybe that's because I know better than to pass judgement based on snippets of conversation from an internet forum....

Deep breaths dude.. deep breaths...

the Talking Can
01-25-2009, 05:51 AM
if you love Gran Torino so much, you should marry it

Valiant
They are both great movies..

It is not Dark knights fault that Gran Torino did not get nominated ..

or somehow Ledger stole Eastwood's best supporting actor award even though Eastwood was not a supporting actor in the movie??

Bashing a very good DC movie outside of Bale's acting in it is nonsense..

Before Dark Knight was being made, EVERYBODY said it was IMPOSSIBLE to take on the joker's role because Nicholson perfected it.. Ledger did not have a chance in hell of doing a good joker.. Guess what, he kicked the shit out of ole Jack and made the Joker a immense character.. That is why IMO he got nominated, and dying helped some also..

Of course I would still like to see what the script was suppose to look like without Ledger dying.. I read the movie was not originally about him and they cut out a good 45+minutes worth of film about two-face..

AustinChief
if you love Gran Torino so much, you should marry it

WIN!

OK, this is the best post on the thread.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:53 AM
Ok, reread your posts and mine... and....

you can suck my balls.... I am damn tired of women empathizing with people they have never met....

If Heath is your buddy and pal and you know for a fact he would be offended... than please let me know and I will discuss this civilly with you...

OTHERWISE, shut the **** up... How do you know that Heath and his family are not embarrassed by YOUR tirade against me?

This is the typical American Liberal/Religious (I know, wierd as it may seem, they fall in the same lock-step in this regard...) attitude that tries to enforce beliefs on anyone they don't agree with...

Sorry, but peddle YOUR guilt elsewhere. There are plent of ignorant people who may be buying, but I'm full up here.

Well, you my friend are just an asshole... plain and simple.

You sound like this..

"It is ok to tell a dead man that I've never met to suck my balls because i've never met him, and oh yeah, because I'm an asshole."

I know you are the boss around here or whatever but you sure are a prick.

There is time for comedy and satire and there is time for respect.... When it comes to death, have some respect. Talk about his movie and his acting, don't try to be all gay and put your balls in his mouth.

You, not me, are what is wrong with society. The de-sensitizing of America is a shame.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:55 AM
YOU ARE NOT IRISH.. JESUS. If you didn't live for at least a month in Ireland than you have no CLUE what it is to be Irish.

Irish-American is a far cry from it... actually possibly OPPOSITE from it.

I lived in Ireland off and on for 14 years when I was a child.... my father lives there genius.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:58 AM
You, not me, are what is wrong with society. The de-sensitizing of America is a shame.

I respectfully disagree... the OVER sensitizing of America is the problem.. people like you define "assholes" as people that disagree or "disrespect" your opinions or your values....

Sorry bud, but we would be alot better off with a-holes like me who let people live without so much JUDGEMENT.

but I guess you are one of the 144,000 going to heaven so my opinion doesn't count for much...

Seriously, there are bigger issues in the world than your narrow world view on "respect for the dead"... which is honestly laughable given that you have ZERO cultural reference points.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 06:00 AM
I lived in Ireland off and on for 14 years when I was a child.... my father lives there genius.

ok, sorry, than you are either a liar or a moron(when it comes to cultural issues)

My apologies whichever is the case.

More on topic... if I offend YOU or YOUR family.. let me know... quit being offended BY PROXY.. it shames us all

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 06:01 AM
I respectfully disagree... the OVER sensitizing of America is the problem.. people like you define "assholes" as people that disagree or "disrespect" your opinions or your values....

Sorry bud, but we would be alot better off with a-holes like me who let people live without so much JUDGEMENT.

but I guess you are one of the 144,000 going to heaven so my opinion doesn't count for much...

Seriously, there are bigger issues in the world than your narrow world view on "respect for the dead"... which is honestly laughable given that you have ZERO cultural reference points.

reference point....

respect for the dead = not telling them to suck your balls....

quite simple really.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 06:02 AM
Well, you my friend are just an asshole... plain and simple.

You sound like this..

"It is ok to tell a dead man that I've never met to suck my balls because i've never met him, and oh yeah, because I'm an asshole."

I know you are the boss around here or whatever but you sure are a prick.

There is time for comedy and satire and there is time for respect.... When it comes to death, have some respect. Talk about his movie and his acting, don't try to be all gay and put your balls in his mouth.

and after rereading your post... you may want to take a reading comprehension class... (side note: it never ceases to amaze me how many people suck at reading comprehension... it seeems like there just wouldn't be a point to reading if you didn't "get it"... owell) I don't think you understood what I was saying in the least...

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 06:05 AM
reference point....

respect for the dead = not telling them to suck your balls....

quite simple really.

wow... ok, than I am gonna assume you are a liar.

Five of my best friends that I drink with regularly are Irish... not a single one would be offended (after they died) by a stranger posting what I did... so long as the context was there...

Will you be less crampy if I get them and two Aussies to post testimonials to the fact?

Silock
01-25-2009, 06:05 AM

I think you both have good points, here.

Tell the child and mother that Heath left behind that he can "Suck your balls" and see what they say.

On the other hand, it's the internet and I'm sure they could give a fuck about what you say about him.

The sweeping generalizations about whether or not someone would be offended by a comment simply due to their cultural heritage is a bit much.

Back to your point about Gran Torino -- It may be a great film. That doesn't have anything to do with The Dark Knight, though. You picked the wrong target.

If Gran Torino is such a great film, why aren't more people talking about it?

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 06:07 AM
and after rereading your post... you may want to take a reading comprehension class... (side note: it never ceases to amaze me how many people suck at reading comprehension... it seeems like there just wouldn't be a point to reading if you didn't "get it"... owell) I don't think you understood what I was saying in the least...

Like you... I take what I must and make it what I need. You have no Idea about my culture....

Good day sir.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I think you both have good points, here.

Tell the child and mother that Heath left behind that he can "Suck your balls" and see what they say.

On the other hand, it's the internet and I'm sure they could give a fuck about what you say about him.

The sweeping generalizations about whether or not someone would be offended by a comment simply due to their cultural heritage is a bit much.

Back to your point about Gran Torino -- It may be a great film. That doesn't have anything to do with The Dark Knight, though. You picked the wrong target.

If Gran Torino is such a great film, why aren't more people talking about it?

Everyone I know IS talking about it... but maybe Austin is a wierd town in that regard....

And the "sweeping" cultural statement... owell.. it makes sense... but it is not an arguable point so I will leave it

Jerm
01-25-2009, 06:26 AM
The REAL travesty is the fact that The Wrestler isn't up for Best Picture...what a joke.

Hope Rourke wins for Best Actor however, would be some slight justice.

Moobs
01-25-2009, 06:51 AM
You should get drunk more often, this is unintentional comedy at it's best.

oaklandhater
01-25-2009, 07:01 AM

It's such crap that the dog trash that goes bye the name of the reader is up for best picture yet Dark knight doesnt even get a nod.

Fritz88
01-25-2009, 07:31 AM
he did a decent job but he mainly got it because he died which is weird.

and what the fuck is up with my signature, i told you not to click on it.

keg in kc
01-25-2009, 07:37 AM
You are correct.. I went a little Apple to Oranges... It was more about the press coverage and the hype than the actual catagories nominated....

BUT agian, not the point... my point is that Ledger (though he did a fine job) is undesrvedly getting more press than Eastwood who I believe made a groundbreaking film....If you're expecting a movie that's grossed, what, 76 million to date to get more press than a movie that grossed a billion, I think you're ultimately going to be disappointed, Clint Eastwood or no Clint Eastwood...

That's without even entering the Ledger part of the discussion. He died. That makes him news. Sorry. That's reality. It's been reality in the entertainment world for centuries. Nothing makes you more relevant than death, especially a tragic one. Look to hundreds of writers and composers (and actors) throughout history for precedence.

As for actual categories, other than Ledger, the Dark Knight is up for art direction, cinematography, editing, makeup, sound editing, sound mixing and visual effects. I can't imagine the Dark Knight having any impact on Gran Torino's inclusion for any of those awards with the possible exception of cinematography (other nominees were Changeling, Benjamin Button, The Reader and Slumdog Millionaire).I will stand by this point... and I can gaurantee that should ChiefPlanet be aroundin 10-20 years.. we can revist this thread and I will be vindicated....We'll just have to disagree on that. I don't image Gran Torino will be any more relevant in 20 years than Pink Cadillac is today.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh.

The Dead Pool? Heartbreak Ridge?

Gran Torino will probably fade into the dark. It got nominated for nothing, and Clint Eastwood isn't exactly a stranger to the Academy Awards. If it was as earth shattering as you say it was, I don't think Clint's the kind of guy they'd just overlook. Certainly he doesn't have the barriers that a damn comic book movie like Dark Knight would have. 'cause, you know, the Oscars are always so friendly to genre movies.

Hell, there are people saying Dark Knight got jobbed, with 8 nominations. Who knows if it'll win any of them.

Count Alex's Losses
01-25-2009, 08:00 AM
I love it when Kyle drunk posts.

Baby Lee
01-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Batman isn’t a comic book anymore. The Dark Knight is a haunted film that leaps beyond its origins and becomes an engrossing tragedy. It creates characters we come to care about. That’s because of the performances, because of the direction, because of the writing, and because of the superlative technical quality of the entire production

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I generally agree with this review of Gran Torino (some spoilers):

It took damn near the entire year, but 2008 has finally witnessed its most sublime entertainment. Make no mistake, Clint Eastwood’s latestis an appalling mess from stem to stern; a laughable, unwieldy hodgepodge of cliché, stereotype, and obligatory absurdity that would be dismissed out of hand had it been made by anyone other than cinema’s most grizzled veteran. To take it seriously is to flirt with obscenity; there isn’t a scene that rings in any tone save the insipid, and no performance even makes a half-hearted effort to get off the couch and embrace shading or depth. It’s a lazy, inept screenplay, complete with half-baked motivations, cardboard criminality, and third act transitions that could be spotted by Stevie Wonder in a sandstorm.

And yet, taking the sum total of such criticisms, bringing them close to the body, shaking them down, and giving them the most thorough inspection, I haven’t been this giddy in months. Horrified by the incompetence of just about every scene, a beaming smile still never left my face. With such love oozing from every pore, and the strongest sense I’ve had yet of hugging myself into a stupor, I can declare Gran Torino an unqualified masterpiece of bad cinema. Let it run down through the ages as the old man’s most insanely enjoyable work yet. Hell, it just might be the first film to ever qualify as both the best and worst of its given year.

Clint is Walt Kowalski, a Korean War veteran who has just lost his wife of untold years, yet still carries on; held together, I imagine, by the most cuddly streak of bigotry since Archie Bunker last puffed a cigar. Walt hates his kids, mocks the clergy, spits tobacco up, down, and around his little patch of hell in a typically devastated section of Michigan, and reserves his most loathsome comments for anyone, frankly, who isn’t just like him. Sure, he saves most of his ire for the Hmong family that lives next door, but he’s not so feeble that he can’t fire up a racist insult for any black or Mexican who happens to meet his glare. Walt worked a half century in the auto industry, a plum position to stack next to his murderous service in the military (by his own count, he sent 13 yellow bastards to their graves), and naturally, he believes these two facts entitle him to rub raw any wound he cares to open.

He’s a sumbitch from the old school; a mean, crusty, unenlightened creep who yammers about “the kids today,” all while growling at anything pierced, tattooed, or shaded a tad more darkly than his own skin, best described as a leathery lion in winter. But who on earth could dismiss him outright? He hates, but we all know the score; he just hasn’t sat down with anyone long enough to appear vulnerable. As such, he’s but a few meals away from becoming a teddy bear.

Fortunately, his heart fails to melt entirely, and even though he acts as a mentor to the neighbor boy Thao, he still calls him “Toad” right up until the final bell; that is, when he isn’t tossing around “zipperhead” and “gook” with cheerful abandon. That Walt uses an anti-Vietnamese slur to describe a people who inhabit China and Laos is meant to highlight the silliness of racial prejudice, but his bomb-throwing is too damned fun to get overly analytical. Say what you want, Walt’s cruel streak, though not a real character trait by any stretch of the imagination, is almost surreal in its amusement. I think because we’ve grown so accustomed to feeling obligated to recoil in horror at such talk, it’s liberating to have someone of Eastwood’s stature say it for us.

Needless to say, we don’t have to agree with a word the man is saying, but who on earth could get away with such language other than the one octogenarian who could still kick all our asses in the alley of his choosing? My god, Clint spits out both “beaner” and “spook” without the shame that sensitivity training has brought to the culture, and we roar with delight not because we are cheering unabashed hatred, but rather out of admiration for anyone who dares travel down a road we thought long closed.

Sure, a healthy portion of the film’s appeal lies in sitting back, getting comfortable, and listening to an icon of the silver screen erupt like the minutes from a Klan meeting, but there’s more to this tripe than that. Not much more, but enough. Throughout, I couldn’t help but think that at long last, Clint’s made that final Dirty Harry picture, as if Callahan left San Francisco for good and retired to Midwestern suburbia. Only he stayed a bit too long and now, he’s the last remaining white holdout. But isn’t that like Harry, after all? Wouldn’t he stick around, sniffing about with self-righteous fury, waiting for just the right time to unearth his cache of weapons and treat us all to a suitably sinister one-liner?

Only instead of “Make my day,” he’s here to warn, “Get off my lawn.” Like Harry, Walt has everyone in his sights, and though we are denied an apocalyptic bloodbath, we do get to see grandpa kick the shit out of a young man at least 60 years his junior, as well as talk to ghetto hoodlums with all the bravado of a trained killer who isn’t above adding a few more bodies to the pile. As he tells an Asian gangster one evening, “I’ll put a hole in your face, go back inside and sleep like a baby.” Who but Clint could pull off such a line, granting it the necessary machismo, while also leaving just enough daylight to see the inherent humor? And when he follows it with, “I once stacked fuckers like you five feet high and used ‘em like sandbags,” we can either call for the script doctor, or applaud like drunken seals. Only the foolish would dare consider anything but the latter.

The arc of the story, such as it is, involves Walt’s blooming relationship with Thao, who is first brought to Walt’s attention after he tries to steal his prized ‘72 Gran Torino for a gang initiation. Thao’s heart isn’t in it, of course, which means that he’s receptive to the teachings of a wise old sage. Only this mentor is an unreformed bigot, who uses their time together to call him a pussy for not asking out the Asian girl he affectionately calls “Yum-Yum.” Walt can’t be bothered with names that aren’t all-American, apparently unaware of his own Polish origins. Walt gets out of this one too, though, by comically ribbing his barber (after he think haircuts have gone up in price, he barks, "What are you, half-Jewish?"), and taking Polack jokes in kind. For Walt, this is how real men talk. Perhaps, but I’m just thankful I got to hear Eastwood call someone a prick for what might be the last time.

Thao works dutifully for Walt as a way to pay him back for his honorable defense the night the gang members came to take him away, but we all know this is but a contrivance to pull the generations (and cultures) together. Walt also falls for Thao’s sister, Sue, mainly because she’s sassy and doesn’t take any of Walt’s shit. To show how much he likes the girl, he calls her “dragon lady,” though admittedly with a wink and a smile. Even resorting to “you people” stereotypes doesn’t re-ignite old tensions. Sue sees right through the old goat, and figures he should be humored rather than challenged. There’s something to the concept of treating hatred with mockery rather than direct, teeth-baring confrontation, but that’s for another movie. We just hope Clint shouts “nip” a few more times before the closing credits. He does not let us down.

Beyond this obvious passing of the torch (Walt’s lone remaining purpose is to make Thao a man), we click off all the expected scenes: Walt’s children suggesting a senior community (and the resulting snarls), Walt’s confession to the long-suffering priest (who is just a younger version of the one from Million Dollar Baby), Walt finally warming up to the neighbors because they serve him food, and yes, the “foreboding cough” that leads to a doctor’s visit, the presence of some cryptic hospital records, and a half-hearted call to his estranged son, which leads nowhere, but is code for, “I’m dying, so let’s not leave anything unsaid.” Surely the blood-filled hacking is worst of all, and I swore years ago to hate any film that stooped to the level of a Victorian melodrama, though that emotion just can’t apply this time around.

Sure, I rolled my eyes dutifully, but since the first sin occurred not too long after the most laughably amateurish photoshop I’ve seen in years, I was too blitzed to care. And for chrissakes, how else would we get Walt to leave the firepower at home, walk up to the gang’s house, reach for a lighter, and get sprayed with gunfire, just so he could die a martyr? You see, Walt has to die (and in front of dozens of witnesses) so that the thugs can be arrested and sent to prison. Walt dying in a blaze of glory after taking out a few punks would have been my personal choice for a denouement, but had that been pursued, we may not have seen Walt fall to the ground while the camera lifted skyward, giving us a perfect Jesus Christ pose for the symbolically illiterate. Only Clint could lay it on so thick and still smell like a fucking rose.

As if all this shit wasn’t enough, the final passages hold the reward of seeing Clint Fucking Eastwood in an open casket, dead to the world like some two-bit character actor. I’m not 100% certain, but I do believe this is the first time we’ve ever seen this living legend as a corpse. I was so shocked, in fact, that I half expected him to brush aside the lid, leap to his feet, and curse the congregation for being so gullible. Either that, or Walt was faking his own death to save the kid, punish the gangsters, and allow for a new life in Florida or something. One scene later, Thao is awarded the Gran Torino in Walt’s will, though the kid is made to promise he won’t re-tool it like “some beaner.” It’s the endearing racism rearing its head, even from the grave.

And as Thao drives into the sunset, a man with skills, tools, and a future, the evils of Paint Your Wagon are erased forever by the soulful sounds of a crooning Clint Eastwood. You heard me: Clint in a casket and singing like a songbird with a sore throat, all in the same movie. We’ve been pretty depraved as a nation, so I’m not sure we deserved this. But here it is, and on Christmas, no less. If this is Mr. Eastwood’s swan song as an actor, he chose wisely, like Joan Crawford with Trog, or George C. Scott with Gloria. If a man must wallow in shit, let him be coated with the stink of high ideals. And leave ‘em laughing. Always leave ‘em laughing.

Coach
01-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Jesus. :shake:

Frankie
01-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I have only read a few early posts here, AustinChief. I don't know if someone has already told you this:

your thread is moot. Ledger is nominated in the "Supporting Actor" category. Eastwood would have been nominated in the "Leading Actor" category. To damn Ledger because he was picked and CE wasn't does not make any sense.

Count Alex's Losses
01-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd never heard Dragon Lady before. Cracked me up.

SWOTI
01-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't agree with the Ledger/Eastwood snub argument because as people pointed out they would be in two different categories.

However, Dark Knight should not have been up for Best Picture. Of course, I also think the Reader shouldn't have been up either. Dark Knight was a great comic book movie. It was a great movie in general. Problem is, it's flaws are too great to be up for Best Picture. In any case, I expect Slumdog Millionaire to win, deservedly.

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
WALL-E should have been nominated for Best Picture.

RedNeckRaider
01-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Uhh Hollywood sucks and the award shows are a joke. I enjoy watching movies but most of the actors who play in them are self indulged idiots with self inflated opinions of themselves. The Oscars is no different that the Pro-Bowl a popularity contest.

Molitoth
01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Gran Torino deserved a nod, it was a GREAT film... but bashing another great film/role just because your pissed off is stupid.

blueballs
01-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Just wag your tongue out the sides of your mouth
your an instant brilliant actor

Deberg_1990
01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Since when did Kyle become such a post whore??

The Bad Guy
01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Your point sucks.

This is like being pissed off because a costume designer got a nomination, and Eastwood didn't.

THEY AREN'T IN THE SAME CATEGORY.

StcChief
01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Uhh Hollywood sucks and the award shows are a joke. I enjoy watching movies but most of the actors who play in them are self indulged idiots with self inflated opinions of themselves. The Oscars is no different that the Pro-Bowl a popularity contest.and the sooner the ratings drop. (people don't watch) the sooner real competition will occur.

their idea is having some off the wall film "Slumdog Millionare" win something every year.

Ebolapox
01-25-2009, 10:48 AM

when the fuck did midnight douche hijack austinchief's account?!?

Count Alex's Losses
01-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Since when did Kyle become such a post whore??

Since he opened the bottle of Southern Comfort.

melbar
01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Why is it that its only art if someones learning to read or hugging a tree or something? I saw a piece on how the last comedic performance to be nominated for best actor was Steve Martin in the jerk. Its like saying Jazz or standards should be the only consideration in music. There are many different expressions in art and Heaths performance in this genre of film was brilliant.

JazzzLovr
01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but has anyone pointed out yet that Robert Downey, Jr. was nominated for his role in Tropic Thunder, but AustinChief is bitching about Heath Ledger in Dark Night?

dirk digler
01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Sorry Austin I have seen both movies and Dark Knight blows Gran Torino away. I wouldn't rate Gran Torino in the Top 10 of best movies by Clint even though I enjoyed the movie.

Tribal Warfare
01-25-2009, 11:18 AM
wow.

spoken from someone who either has not seen Gran Torino.. OR who is a DC weenie and may want to change their username to GoChiefs2

Sp your saying that Gran Torino will transcend the film drama it's classified in 20 years like Silence of the Lambs ect....? I don't think so

theorangelion
01-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but has anyone pointed out yet that Robert Downey, Jr. was nominated for his role in Tropic Thunder, but AustinChief is bitching about Heath Ledger in Dark Night?

You have to be kidding Tropic Thunder ROFL Dark Knight was the best Batman to date IMO

Sure-Oz
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow, i don't see why you were comparing 2 different categories...if you have such a damn man crush on eastwood, go suck his balls in peace. Don't get in a bitch fest with others cause they disagree with you. Classy by insulting a dead actor when you have no fucking clue what happend...he partied to death?! Really...? I saw grand tarismo or wtf it was called and it was a good movie. Eastwood was great in it, the chinese actors blew but it was still a good movie. TDK was pretty damn awesome and not just a popcorn flick but if you couldn't see that then you must like going against the grain. Ledger was a SUPPORTING actor, so i don't get why you were bitching. He did a great job and I believe he would've gotten the same nominations if he was alive etc. Anyway you acted like a ****ing douche in this thread, are you an angry drunk?!

RedNeckRaider
01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow, i don't see why you were comparing 2 different categories...if you have such a damn man crush on eastwood, go suck his balls then Don't get in a bitch fest with others cause they disagree with you. I saw grand tarismo or wtf it was called and it was a good movie. Eastwood was great in it, the chinese actors blew but it was still a good movie. TDK was pretty damn awesome and not just a popcorn flick. Ledger was a SUPPORTING actor, so i don't get why you were bitching. He did a great job and I believe he would've gotten the same nominations if he was alive etc. Anyway you acted like a ****ing douche in this thread, are you an angry drunk?!

The job Ledger did was outstanding, reminds me of Val Kilmer in Tombstone. Two movies where supporting actors made the show. I still think Kilmer deserved a nod for the job he did in Tombstone.

Jerm
01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I would argue that Ledge should be up for lead actor, not supporting actor.

I know Bale had top bill as Batman/Bruce Wayne and played the main character but Ledger's Joker carried the movie and quite frankly, made it.

He stood out a helluva lot more and basically made the role his. I know it's just arguing finer points but I'd actually nominate him for lead.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
The job Ledger did was outstanding, reminds me of Val Kilmer in Tombstone. Two movies where supporting actors made the show. I still think Kilmer deserved a nod for the job he did in Tombstone.
Definetly agree there, Kilmer was the shit in Tombstone, probably one of my favorite characters in a film of all time. I am not even a huge Val or Heath fan in general but they did excellent in those roles and are worthy of the praise.

RedNeckRaider
01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Definetly agree there, Kilmer was the shit in Tombstone, probably one of my favorite characters in a film of all time. I am not even a huge Val or Heath fan in general but they did excellent in those roles and are worthy of the praise.

The same here not a huge fan of them myself, but when people recall those movies it is those two who will be remembered.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2009, 11:43 AM
The same here not a huge fan of them myself, but when people recall those movies it is those two who will be remembered.

Exactly...these 2 films would not be the same without their performances imo.

dj56dt58
01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
One more thing...what made The Dark Knight any better than Batman Begins? Both were equally good movies, IMO.

I bought both. Not a big Batman fan. could barely make it through Batman begins. Bought The Dark Night and watch it over and over...because of Heath Ledger

dj56dt58
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
so you get ****ed up probably by yourself, and have nothing better to do that create what is already the dumbest post of the year in January? ROFL

Nzoner
01-25-2009, 12:06 PM
My guess (and it is a pure guess) is that it was too non-PC.

I haven't read the entire thread yet,however,I absolutely agree with this,Eastwood told it like it is,didn't mince words,didn't worry about stepping on toes and offending anyone.But in the end he smacked us in the face with a lesson that if paid heed to could really make a difference in this world.

Don't get me wrong I think Ledger's performance was nothing short of amazing but had he not died I'm not so sure the buzz would be this great.

Lastly,don't forget what the Academy did to Eastwood on Mystic River either.I'm not a LOTR fan,however,I realize the trilogy was spectacular and deserved it's share of awards,I just wished the Academy would consider 2 Best Picture categories,one for CGI and one for purely character driven reality stories.

MavKC
01-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Uhh Hollywood sucks and the award shows are a joke. I enjoy watching movies but most of the actors who play in them are self indulged idiots with self inflated opinions of themselves. The Oscars is no different that the Pro-Bowl a popularity contest.

Exactly. Anyone who takes the Oscars seriously enough to hop on a forum and makes derogatory comments about an actor nominated for one of the awards needs to find a hobby or something.

It's the Oscars. It is not going to solve world hunger, or create a utopia.

I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood films and plan to see Gran Torismo when comes to video. But I'm also a fan of Christopher Nolan, and so what I see in the Dark Knight is a Batman film done very well.

The Dark Knight is not a film about Batman as much as it's a film about a fearless District Attorney, hell bent on cleaning the city up of crime and creating order, and a deranged soul, who is hell bent on creating chaos from order. People need to look past the "comic book" background and see the movie for what it is. A very well done crime story.

Heath Ledger took the role of Joker and gave it an edge. Jack Nickleson's Joker was a fun, over-the-top version of the role. Heath didn't set out to "top" Nicholson's joker, he turned the Joker into something a lot more dark, a lot more serious.

And in the end, he made one of the most memorable characters in film history.

Clint is already a Hollywood legend. His legacy is already sealed.

The Oscar nominations do not change any of that. So the title of this thread is absolutly classless. I really think a person can make their point using a lot more tact.

mcan
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Heath Ledger.. was a fine actor before he partied himself to death.. but it is a fracking disgrace that he would get an Oscar nod for a kitchy joke of a role compared to Eastwood not getting ONE nomination for what may be one of the best movies of the last decade...

Anyone who thinks Ledger's performance in Batman compare to Eastwoods ACTING, DIRECTING, PRODUCING of Gran Torino... is a complete idiot.

I actually think that most of CP's members... (GoChiefs excluded) are too smart to think otherwise....

I disagree pretty vehemently. I really disliked Gran Torino. I thought the whole movie lacked subtlety in it's message, had terrible acting, and was poorly written. The STORY was intriguing and fun to watch, and it was kinda funny, so I enjoyed watching it. But there is no way this is an Oscar caliber film, and NONE of the performances are any good. And this is from a guy who usually loves Eastwood's films.

The Dark Knight on the other hand is a real gem and Heath is spectacular. He's absolutely spellbinding and you can't take your eyes off of him whenever he's on screen. He quite literally stole the show from the heroes of the film and took a character that is sparsely written without a back story and without any positive objectives and found a way to make him not only POP off the screen, but actually ENDEARED himself to the audience. Name another film where a villain throws an innocent girl off of a roof, and yet you STILL kinda root for him... I promise you, that in the hands of any other actor, you would not have been.

Saulbadguy
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
The Oscars is no different that the Pro-Bowl a popularity contest.
Agreed 100%. The only people who care about them are women and men with little self-purpose, or of course people who actually work in the industry (the only ones that actually should care).

Gravedigger
01-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Ledger isn't the one you should be attacking, Eastwood was the lead actor in Gran Torino not the Supporting Actor. Pick your battles better, and if you think that Ledger's performance and role were a joke then... well good luck with that.

Frazod
01-25-2009, 12:59 PM
I love it when Kyle drunk posts.

Yes. Occasionally our benevolent god gets hammered and rains fire upon us. LMAO

Nzoner
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes. Occasionally our benevolent god gets hammered and rains fire upon us. LMAO

Heh,when reading the thread I was trying to remember ever seeing Kyle like this in my 5 years here.Some of it was pure hilarity,good to know our founding father likes to let it all go as well.

mcan
01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Agreed 100%. The only people who care about them are women and men with little self-purpose, or of course people who actually work in the industry (the only ones that actually should care).

Then you would think that Eastwood would get nominated every year... He's a big fat list of just how popular Eastwood is.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/awards

aturnis
01-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm gonna disagree with you Austin. Ledger did a fine job, as did Eastwood. As good as Gran Torino was, he wasn't great in it. It didn't seem that Clint needed to "act" so much. More kind of, talk like batman, all mean like. Then act mean and hateful towards minorities, kind of just being himself. Movie was well produced and directed more than anything.

Ledger didn't party himself to death either. Kind of a arrogant thing to say. I guess. Take what little information you have, and draw a conclusion.

Pablo
01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
This thread is EL OH EL material.

ohiobronco2
01-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm a big Eastwood fan, always have been. He is one of the few remaining actors that I would refer to as "vintage Hollywood." He has an amazing skill set, actor, producer and director. I don't know that many of today's actors possess this skill set. I have not seen Gran Torino, but I bet it is at the very least, a solid film. Anyways, to speak about Heath in such a manner is classless. He died of an ACCIDENTAL overdose. From what I read, he struggled with insomnia from playing the role and mixed the wrong drugs, which brought about his death. Heath was amazing as the Joker in the Dark Night and deserved all of the recognition he has received. As many have pointed out already, they would be in different categories anyway. Take your anger and displeasure out on somebody (or the entire academy) who is really undeserving, in the correct category. Oh, and the arguement of I know many Australian people who wouldn't be offended by me saying, "suck my balls" is weak. I know many black people and I've watched the Chapelle show, so it is okay for me to say the N word........Right?

JuicesFlowing
01-25-2009, 01:21 PM
It took me a while to get used to the way Ledger portrayed The Joker ... but after I got used to it I realized it couldn't have been done better.

Frazod
01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
The endless postmortem suck off of Ledger has gotten on my nerves as well. Yes, Dark Knight was great. Yes, he did a great job as the Joker. But I didn't think Dark Knight was any better than Batman Begins, and frankly, I like Batman Begins a bit more. I also like Jack Nicholson's Joker better. Where's his Oscar? Oh yeah, he didn't drug himself to death before the movie was released. And a movie I like better than all the Batmans combined is The Crow, starring the dead-before-release Brandon Lee, who had nothing whatsoever to do with his demise. Where's his Oscar?

JuicesFlowing
01-25-2009, 01:26 PM
And a movie I like better than all the Batmans combined is The Crow, starring the dead-before-release Brandon Lee, who had nothing whatsoever to do with his demise. Where's his Oscar?

:bravo: Absolutely.

Chiefshrink
01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
My point is that Eastwood got NOTHING.. and a dead party kid got a pity nomination for a god damn DC comics movie... just sad.

Agree. The Dark Knight was sooooooooooooooooo overrated and quite frankly, Heath Ledger's performance explains why he is dead today.:spock:

I did not see the so-called "brilliance" in this movie or acting whatsoever. Just Hollywood over selling as usual. Which I guess is what they are supposed to do.:doh!:

Count Alex's Losses
01-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I think the difference between Dark Knight and Gran Torino is that I felt an urge to sneak into Dark Knight after another movie just to enjoy it for a few minutes.

I don't feel the same urge for GT. I will watch it again when it comes on TV, though.

bowener
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM

You do realize he died as a result of antihistamines and sleeping pills as well as an antianxiety pill, right? I think going to sleep at night, taking prescribed medication and dying does not rank as partying.... but whatever, your argument makes no sense being that Ledger was a supporting actor.

blueballs
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
the thread title is better than both movies

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 01:48 PM
The endless postmortem suck off of Ledger has gotten on my nerves as well. Yes, Dark Knight was great. Yes, he did a great job as the Joker. But I didn't think Dark Knight was any better than Batman Begins, and frankly, I like Batman Begins a bit more. I also like Jack Nicholson's Joker better. Where's his Oscar? Oh yeah, he didn't drug himself to death before the movie was released. And a movie I like better than all the Batmans combined is The Crow, starring the dead-before-release Brandon Lee, who had nothing whatsoever to do with his demise. Where's his Oscar?
Was this post sarcastic? Because its just as nonsensical as AustinChief's disconnected ramblings.

Frazod
01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Was this post sarcastic? Because its just as nonsensical as AustinChief's disconnected ramblings.

No, that would be my opinion. And if you don't agree with it, I can assure you, I don't give a fuck.

Any questions?

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
No, that would be my opinion. And if you don't agree with it, I can assure you, I don't give a fuck.

Any questions?
Sort of.

Point-by-point, there's nothing to argue about with your opinions. (Like, I agree with you that Batman Begins is better. I disagree that Nichelson is better than Ledger, but whatever. That doesn't matter).

But they don't cohere into some bigger argument or anything, so I didn't see the "point" of the post. I don't see what the Ledger hype has to do with the quality of The Dark Knight. I don't see what Ledger's acting has to do with The Crow being duly recognized for its quality or anything.

If AustinChief has been like: "Gran Torino was great but unrecognized, therefore it is sad that Heath Ledger was nominated for an Oscar"

then that post of yours seems to be saying: " 1.) Heath Ledger's performance was overhyped and he had a role in his own death, and 2.) The Crow is better than any Batman movie ever, therefore Brandon Lee (who died completely accidentally) should have gotten an Oscar."

Hence my use of "nonsensical."

Frazod
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Again, I really don't give a fuck. I liked Lee's performance more than Ledger's. If you don't agree, good for you. Neither one of us get a vote.

Of course, the one thing nobody talks about is the real reason the entertainment industry lost their collective shit over Ledger's death - it had much less to do with Dark Knight and much more to do with Brokeback Mountain.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
You do realize he died as a result of antihistamines and sleeping pills as well as an antianxiety pill, right? I think going to sleep at night, taking prescribed medication and dying does not rank as partying.... but whatever, your argument makes no sense being that Ledger was a supporting actor.

All but two of the drugs in his system are common recreational drugs...

Xanax, Vicodain, hydrocodone....

Let's not be naive.

unothadeal
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
No, that would be my opinion. And if you don't agree with it, I can assure you, I don't give a ****.

Any questions?

Your opinion is wrong

Baby Lee
01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
No, that would be my opinion. And if you don't agree with it, I can assure you, I don't give a ****.

Any questions?

Yet you devote a paragraph, and a good deal of rage, to outlining how much other people expressing their opinions pisses you off?

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Yet you devote a paragraph, and a good deal of rage, to outlining how much other people expressing their opinions pisses you off?

I promise you that the argument is not worth it man.....

I was arguing on here earlier... which I very rarely do. My wife peeked over my shoulder and said... I quote "Arguing with someone on the internet is like being in the special olympics, you can win, but you'll still be retarded."

Ain't she a peach?

Taco John
01-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Since you're not accepting arguments on this, I'll just say that Ledger deserves any nominations and awards that he gets, regardless of his lifestyle and events that occurred off the screen. I'll follow that up by saying that you weaken any "point" you were trying to make by diminishing Ledger's fantastic performance.

Taco John
01-25-2009, 03:10 PM

I personally thought Jack Nicholson's joker paled in comparison. But I don't fault Jack for it. It was an 80's movie written for the audience of the times. That flick released next year would be laughed out of the box office.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM

That is retarded.
You are retarded.

KC_Connection
01-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Any questions?

I also liked Batman Begins better. Though Ledger was still awesome.

Frazod
01-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Yes, a whole two sentence, 21 word paragraph. Wow. I guess you really outed me on my in-depth response, didn't you? Do you count "Any questions?" as a paragraph, too?

And I love people who think "don't give a fuck" equates to "a good deal of rage." Tell me, are you scared of all shadows, or just your own?

:whackit:

Frazod
01-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I also liked Batman Begins better. Though Ledger was still awesome.

I hate it when you agree with me. :D

PastorMikH
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I haven't seen Grand Torino yet, but I'm definately looking forward to it. Everyone I know that has seen it has given it major props.

When I heard GT had NO oscar nominations I was shocked.

As for Heath Ledger, I thought he was really good in Knight's Tale, but I haven't followed him much after his "western".

IMO, the Oscars have always had a bit of popularity and who's who to the voting rather than an award for true accomplishment.

unothadeal
01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, a whole two sentence, 21 word paragraph. Wow. I guess you really outed me on my in-depth response, didn't you? Do you count "Any questions?" as a paragraph, too?

And I love people who think "don't give a ****" equates to "a good deal of rage." Tell me, are you scared of all shadows, or just your own?

:whackit:

No, this one

Not this one

Any questions?

Frazod
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
No, this one

Not this one

There was no rage in any of my posts. I do tire of people whining about Ledger like he was the next Laurence Olivier, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. And I find the overreactions to any criticism of anything he ever did by clowns like you to be amusing.

And while you'd like to equate this to me pissing on his grave, well, really, it isn't the same thing.

unothadeal
01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
There was no rage in any of my posts. I do tire of people whining about Ledger like he was the next Laurence Olivier, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. And I find the overreactions to any criticism of anything he ever did by clowns like you to be amusing.

And while you'd like to equate this to me pissing on his grave, well, really, it isn't the same thing.

Why do you like Jack's joker better?

stevieray
01-25-2009, 04:20 PM
leave Heath alone!

Frazod
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Why do you like Jack's joker better?

I just thought it was better. I also preferred the way character was presented in the first movie better (you may be too young to remember, but the '89 Batman was actually banned in England because Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker was deemed "too sadistic"). I'm not knocking Ledger's performance, he did a great job, but after a while the raspy voice and lizard liplicking got old.

unothadeal
01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I just thought it was better. I also preferred the way character was presented in the first movie better (you may be too young to remember, but the '89 Batman was actually banned in England because Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker was deemed "too sadistic"). I'm not knocking Ledger's performance, he did a great job, but after a while the raspy voice and lizard liplicking got old.

I'd say Heath did a much better job acting as a sadistic killer. Nicholson was goofy ("You wouldn't hit a man with glasses" WTF?) in his role where Ledger was a crazy mofo. If you could choose not to run into one of them on the street, which one would it be?

Frazod
01-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd say Heath did a much better job acting as a sadistic killer. Nicholson was goofy ("You wouldn't hit a man with glasses" WTF?) in his role where Ledger was a crazy mofo. If you could choose not to run into one of them on the street, which one would it be?

I'm glad you think so. That's your OPINION. I like Nicholson better. That's my OPINION. Opinions are not facts.

But I will say that my opinions tend to originate with me; not gushing film critics.

bowener
01-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Exactly...these 2 films would not be the same without their performances imo.

Not just that, but both these films are of genres that are rarely nominated for awards in this day. I know Kilmer wasn't, but Ledger does deserve his nomination. Because of his acting ability and portrayal of the Joker, along with great directing, lifted this comic book movie out of the fanboys section and into the all-time remembered categories for all movie fans.

Gran Torino will not do that, except for the redneck bigot nascar fans of the old south and the small minded loners, idiots, and assholes that are too stupid to see how pathetic they are for hating all things different... that's not an enduring human trait.

Sp your saying that Gran Torino will transcend the film drama it's classified in 20 years like Silence of the Lambs ect....? I don't think so

This is so far beyond the obvious truth. GT is nothing special. All that is special about it is that an old man dared to make a movie where he is racist the entire film... sweet.

Eastwood is the same as all actors. He is a self loving self ****ing full of shit human. He is not a bad ass in real life, just another ****ing actor. Most of you could have probably kicked his ass. I dont get why people want to blow all actors/actresses so much. He is like all the rest of them, except he has talent on screen, behind the camera, and on paper, not many can do all 3. That being said, GT is NOT his best, it is probably one of his WORST. It's all racist cliche's rolled into one big ball of laughable shit.

All but two of the drugs in his system are common recreational drugs...

Xanax, Vicodain, hydrocodone....

Let's not be naive.

All of which he had a prescription for, all of which came in brown bottles that were sitting next to his bedside.

My mother who has Parkinson's takes Valium daily, as well as 7 other drugs. Am I naive about that? Just because some one takes a pill that is considered a 'party' drug doesn't mean that they abuse it... those pills were and are made for an actual medical purpose.

I take 30 mg of adderrall daily... if I died in my sleep and they printed that in some tabloid I am sure some asshole would assume that I had been crushing them up and snorting them... since it's a drug commonly associated with partying and all.... that must have been the case.

I wish I would never have bothered to read through this thread. All I got from it was an entire loss of respect for AustinChief. I know he rarely posts, and he owns this site or something, but typically he seems like a good guy. After reading all his posts he is far from a good guy, and at times, disgusting. If you want to blame alcohol for the pathetic debasement of a dead man, go ahead, but most will see through it like the half-hearted apology by Mel Gibson (he probably liked GT), or Mark Foley's excuse for having a taste for page boys.

I like Eastwood, GT was not a good movie, at all. I like Ledger, his role is timeless, like it or hate it, that is the case. Jack even said that his joker will never compare to Ledger's. Ledger took a role in a film genre that is typically ignored for awards. Before he died, it was already getting buzz as an oscar worthy role, so his death really did nothing toward his possibilities of winning, it wont hurt, but he was already getting discussions in his favor.

Nzoner
01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
This is so far beyond the obvious truth. GT is nothing special. All that is special about it is that an old man dared to make a movie where he is racist the entire film... sweet.

Apparently you didn't watch the end of the film.

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
There are two factors involved in Ledger's nomination. One of course is that he died. It was his final role and the Academy and its members had a soft spot for him. I think that's understandable.

But furthermore, Ledger lost himself in the role. When you see the Dark Knight and his portrayal of the Joker, you don't see Heath Ledger. You see the Joker. At no point during the film did I think "Wow, that's just like something Heath had done in "10 Things I Hate About You". No, he totally and complete immersed himself in the role.

In Eastwood's case, while the movie was extremely well done, he played a character familiar and "similar" to those he'd played in the past. That's not a condemnation but I think most here would agree that we've all seen Clint in a similar role and while we like him in that role, that alone does not make him Oscar worthy.

Everyone's entitled their own opinion about these movies but IMO, the Academy did a fine job of selecting the nominees this year and I was especially pleased to see Robert Downey, Jr.'s portrayal in "Tropic Thunder" recognized.

AustinChief
01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, so an ADMITTED drug abuser with long term problems with heroin, cocaine and prescription meds...

And you are saying what? He was no longer abusing and he just happened to slip and take a handful of pills?

As I have stated NUMEROUS times, I don't think he was a bad person for being a drug addict... nor does it affect his acting... Title of the thread notwithstanding... it is more about the press and not him... Do you want me to correct it to say...

ALL THE HEATH LEDGER APOLOGISTS AND FANBOYS CAN SUCK MY BALLS... That would be a bit more acurate to how I feel regarding the issue.... seems a bit wordy though....

FACT- he was a long term drug abuser who overdosed while abusing
MY OPINION- he was a fine actor
MY OPINION- seemed like a decent guy
MY OPINION- I think it is shame that Gran Torino is getting almost no press and every other thing I see is about Ledger

There, does that clear things up?

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
MY OPINION- I think it is shame that Gran Torino is getting almost no press and every other thing I see is about Ledger

Press is a matter of marketing and money. The reason that Gran Torino is not receiving as much press is because the studio doesn't feel it needs to spend the money pushing and promoting the film.

The work stands on its own.

Gran Torino's budget was $33 million and it's earned nearly $100 million domestically alone.

Donger
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't understand when people who have no financial interest in movies get all worked up about them, or how they do with regard to awards.

I like movies, but I don't get emotional involved in either their success or failure.

Tribal Warfare
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't understand when people who have no financial interest in movies get all worked up about them, or how they do with regard to awards.

I like movies, but I don't get emotional involved in either their success or failure.

Certain entities mean a lot to people, which shaped their childhood or made a big impact on them in general. Then there are people who like to bitch or complain for the sake of it.

Taco John
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
There really is no comparison:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqAvubu70Yc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqAvubu70Yc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Wow, so an ADMITTED drug abuser with long term problems with heroin, cocaine and prescription meds...

And you are saying what? He was no longer abusing and he just happened to slip and take a handful of pills?

As I have stated NUMEROUS times, I don't think he was a bad person for being a drug addict... nor does it affect his acting... Title of the thread notwithstanding... it is more about the press and not him... Do you want me to correct it to say...

ALL THE HEATH LEDGER APOLOGISTS AND FANBOYS CAN SUCK MY BALLS... That would be a bit more acurate to how I feel regarding the issue.... seems a bit wordy though....

FACT- he was a long term drug abuser who overdosed while abusing
MY OPINION- he was a fine actor
MY OPINION- seemed like a decent guy

There, does that clear things up?

I do believe that you should just close this thread....

If you want to save even a tiny bit of credibility that you have.

Frazod
01-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I do believe that you should just close this thread....

If you want to save even a tiny bit of credibility that you have.

LMAO

Somehow I don't think Kyle's going to lose any sleep over what you think of his credibility.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
LMAO

Somehow I don't Kyle's going to lose any sleep over what you think of his credibility.

did anyone ask you?

Frazod
01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
did anyone ask you?

You may be shocked to learn this, but occasionally people do offer up unsolicited opinions on internet bulletin boards.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
You may be shocked to learn this, but occasionally people do offer up unsolicited opinions on internet bulletin boards.

I'm shocked.

Taco John
01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
This guy is a riot!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZZoRCQuXkI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZZoRCQuXkI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JazzzLovr
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Heh. Can you imagine the dramatic decrease in post count around here if that never happened? There might even be crickets chirping.

MikeMaslowski
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
This guy is a riot!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZZoRCQuXkI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZZoRCQuXkI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Holy shit! Best supporting actor! hahaha...ahahaa...haahhaahaaahaah

kaplin42
01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

I'm sorry, but since when is it law that a fun movie can't have great acting in it. Heathe Ledger was awesome as the joker. And while Grand Turino was good, it is only worth watching once. And Clint's role was not much of a stretch for any actor.

The Joker is a major character that Heathe Ledger played beyond exceptional. He brought the role to life, so much to the point that you never saw Heathe, you just saw the Joker. In Grand Turino, I was fully aware that is was Clint.

In my opinion, Heathe deserves the nomination and the award. And quite frankly, I think it is utter crap that The Dark Night didnt get nominated for best picture, cause it was a "fun" movie. Is there some rule where it states that if a movie sells more than a certain dollar amount then it can't be put in the best film category?

mcan
01-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Go see it and I think you may feel different... do me one favor and trust me.. .I know you well enough to think you would appreciate the subleties in the film... most don't...

wait wait wait...

WHAT subtleties?

I'm being serious... The movie is saying a lot of things, but to my mind, none of them are subtle.

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM

Some people love movies. Some people, including all of us posters here, love Sports. We talk and debate ceaselessly here on CP about sports. We sure as Hell get worked up over sports. We don't have any "interest" in sports other than we love/enjoy them.

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Again, I really don't give a fuck. I liked Lee's performance more than Ledger's. If you don't agree, good for you. Neither one of us get a vote.
This post sounds like its coming from a Cardinals fan. ;)

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Some people love movies. Some people, including all of us posters here, love Sports. We talk and debate ceaselessly here on CP about sports. We sure as Hell get worked up over sports. We don't have any "interest" in sports other than we love/enjoy them.

I don't think Donger falls into the loving sports category either. I don't know if I've ever seen him talk about sports.

KCBOSS1
01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
OK well, I'm chiming in late and not going to read 13 pages...I want to see Gran Torino and it looks really good, but here's my take on this. The joker is a long standing character that is to be an ongoing part in the Batman movies. I think that they have a problem because he so owned this part that I don't see anybody doing this part for several years if ever. He's supposed to be Batman's arch rival, and I don't think that can even happen now for at least a long time. The fact that He died right after sealed it and identified it to him. granted it's a DC movie, but still, he took it to another disturbing level. There hasn't been a guy play batman that has owned the character like ledger did the joker character.

KcMizzou
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Fact is, one has nothing to do with the other.

Ledger was amazing, Clint was excellent.

Ledger gets the edge in my mind, because of how he disappeared into the role. Clint, as good as he was, was basically Clint playing Clint.

In any case, I think considering the admiration of Ledger's work an insult to Eastwood is pretty silly.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy and respect both.

KCBOSS1
01-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Ledger gets the edge in my mind, because of how he disappeared into the role. Clint, as good as he was, was basically Clint playing Clint.

In any case, I think considering the admiration of Ledger's work an insult to Eastwood is pretty silly.

Yeah, but comparing, contrasting, opinionating and speaking "authoritatively" about stuf that we have absolutely no power to change is what we do on bulletin boards. That and constantly insult others who also have no power but don't agree with us.

KcMizzou
01-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, but comparing, contrasting, opinionating and speaking "authoritatively" about stuf that we have absolutely no power to change is what we do on bulletin boards. That and constantly insult others who also have no power but don't agree with us.
It's certainly provided entertainment. :)

KCBOSS1
01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
It's certainly provided entertainment. :)

It's tough when there's no football on a Sunday, expecially that pre-superbowl Sunday. This is an indication of what our withdrawal threads are going to look like in a few weeks.

Reaper16
01-25-2009, 09:55 PM
This is an indication of what our withdrawal threads are going to look like in a few weeks.
This was a thread where one person made some shitty posts and a whole host of other posters were very quick to rebuke him. If this is an indication of offseason threads, then we're actually in good shape.

Sure-Oz
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM

He was a druggie, **** heath and **** you, you pussy pillowbiter fanboy....gran torino FTMFW!!!!1111111/kyleLMAO

Sure-Oz
01-25-2009, 10:42 PM

No problem about having a differing opinion, but being a total douche about it is another thing

Frazod
01-25-2009, 11:59 PM
No problem about having a differing opinion, but being a total douche about it is another thing

Total douche? I hope you're not talking about me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Reading the thoughts of the thread starter while inebriated explains so much about how this site came to be.

KcMizzou
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Reading the thoughts of the thread starter while inebriated explains so much about how this site came to be.:spock:

How so?

Honestly, I'm curious.

SWOTI
01-26-2009, 12:41 AM
There are two factors involved in Ledger's nomination. One of course is that he died. It was his final role and the Academy and its members had a soft spot for him. I think that's understandable.

But furthermore, Ledger lost himself in the role. When you see the Dark Knight and his portrayal of the Joker, you don't see Heath Ledger. You see the Joker. At no point during the film did I think "Wow, that's just like something Heath had done in "10 Things I Hate About You". No, he totally and complete immersed himself in the role.

In Eastwood's case, while the movie was extremely well done, he played a character familiar and "similar" to those he'd played in the past. That's not a condemnation but I think most here would agree that we've all seen Clint in a similar role and while we like him in that role, that alone does not make him Oscar worthy.

Everyone's entitled their own opinion about these movies but IMO, the Academy did a fine job of selecting the nominees this year and I was especially pleased to see Robert Downey, Jr.'s portrayal in "Tropic Thunder" recognized.

I thought that The Reader was weak. I liked Doubt better. And I continue to dislike the 3 song limit for Best Original Song as Springsteen's song was the biggest snub of all.

Nightwish
01-26-2009, 01:36 AM
They're two completely different genres, so no, you can't really compare the two. Of the reviews I've heard of Gran Torino, yours is the first that was remotely positive. Mostly I've heard that it was one of the biggest borefests that Eastwood has ever put out, good for putting you to sleep but not much else. In his last few films he's tried to reinvent himself as an "artist." I dunno, if immersing flat, one-dimensional characters into sensitive roles is your idea of art, what can I say?

AustinChief
01-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Reading the thoughts of the thread starter while inebriated explains so much about how this site came to be.

wow, ok, don't let the door hit you on the way out if you are so dissapointed in the site...

kepp
01-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Dark Knight...best picture? Not even close. It was a good/fun film, and Ledger made it what it was, but it was not the best picture.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Total douche? I hope you're not talking about me.

No of course not, kyle did, but kyle was wasted...and he still does a great job with the site so im thankful for that, i just didn't care for the initial thread post.

Frazod
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
No of course not, kyle did, but kyle was wasted...and he still does a great job with the site so im thankful for that, i just didn't care for the initial thread post.

OK :)

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
OK :)

Sorry for the confusion, you know we're cool:)

DaneMcCloud
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I thought that The Reader was weak. I liked Doubt better. And I continue to dislike the 3 song limit for Best Original Song as Springsteen's song was the biggest snub of all.

To each, his own.

It's not the Grammy's. The three song limit is fine IMO.

Baby Lee
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion, you know we're cool:)

Don't be b& man!!!

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
i wouldnt want Heath Ledger to suck my balls. for one, he a guy. And two, hes been dead a year. That would be just gross.

PastorMikH
01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
A sub topic that came up in this thread was the comparison the Nicholson's Joker and Ledgers. Watched the film last night. Personally, I liked Nicholson's acting much better. To me he brought more sophistication and intelligence to the role while still being able to play a character on the verge of being out of control. Ledger looked more like a whacko, too much of one to devise the plans that he came up with IMO.

Frazod
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
A sub topic that came up in this thread was the comparison the Nicholson's Joker and Ledgers. Watched the film last night. Personally, I liked Nicholson's acting much better. To me he brought more sophistication and intelligence to the role while still being able to play a character on the verge of being out of control. Ledger looked more like a whacko, too much of one to devise the plans that he came up with IMO.

That was one aspect of Dark Knight that didn't make any sense - the Joker was constantly staging elaborate intricate events.... how? From the first scene you got the sense that he tended to kill off his henchman when finished with them - how many henchman did he have? I mean, you'd have to have some pretty bright ones to plan stuff like that.

I know, it's a comic book movie, but the way people gush over it.....

keg in kc
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I've never liked Nicholson's portrayal. He was over-the-top goofy. I was glad somebody finally got Joker right.

Nightwish
01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
That was one aspect of Dark Knight that didn't make any sense - the Joker was constantly staging elaborate intricate events.... how? From the first scene you got the sense that he tended to kill off his henchman when finished with them - how many henchman did he have? I mean, you'd have to have some pretty bright ones to plan stuff like that.

Willful Suspension of Disbelief. Actually, most of the stuff he did wasn't really all that elaborate. He just made the best use of relatively simple explosives and whatnot, unlike during the Tim Burton era when villains had giant inflatable balloons cast in their image, missiles done up like candy canes, and silly stuff like that. Blowing up all the money he stole was what really cemented the full insanity of the character, for me.

Pioli Zombie
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
"Suck my balls"???

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I disagree. In fact, I vehemently disagree. Sophistication? Jack was basically playing an amped up version of himself.

DaneMcCloud
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I disagree. In fact, I vehemently disagree. Sophistication? Jack was basically playing an amped up version of himself.

Exactly.

I fully understand why people liked him in that role (and prefer his take to Ledger's) but Jack was just being Jack.

NTTATWTT.

Pioli Zombie
01-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I love subjective arguments about make believe people and who is pretending to be them better.

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I love subjective arguments about make believe people and who is pretending to be them better.
Get the fuck out.

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Exactly.

I fully understand why people liked him in that role (and prefer his take to Ledger's) but Jack was just being Jack.

NTTATWTT.
Yup. Jack was very entertaining in Batman.

Deberg_1990
01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I love Clint Eastwood. Ive seen nearly every one of his movies.

But i must admit, he plays every role the same way every single movie.

But god bless him for it because he does it better than anyone else ever could.

PastorMikH
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM

With Nicholson's Joker, he started out in the mob and worked his way up. You could see why he'd have people working under him and where he'd get his ability to stage robberies and such. Ledger's Joker just seem to attract other looneys.

Also, the Dark Knight Joker completely ignored the ties of the Joker and Bruce's parents. Nicholson's Joker "I was a kid when I killed your parents. I mean, I say "I made you" you gotta say "you made me."

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
With Nicholson's Joker, he started out in the mob and worked his way up. You could see why he'd have people working under him and where he'd get his ability to stage robberies and such. Ledger's Joker just seem to attract other looneys.

Also, the Dark Knight Joker completely ignored the ties of the Joker and Bruce's parents. Nicholson's Joker "I was a kid when I killed your parents. I mean, I say "I made you" you gotta say "you made me."
No, it wasn't ignored. Nolan's Batman canon does not have Joker as the Wayne family killer. The Wayne family killer was shown in Batman Begins.

PastorMikH
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
No, it wasn't ignored. Nolan's Batman canon does not have Joker as the Wayne family killer. The Wayne family killer was shown in Batman Begins.

Ah yes, that is correct. It's been a while since I have seen BB, and I haven't seen anywhere near as much as Burton's '89 Batman.

FWIW, I do like that Wayne/Batman character better that Bale brings forth as opposed to Burton's version(s).

Pioli Zombie
01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
i mean...."Suck my balls"??? couldnt ya have said "I didnt agree with this decision"?
that would have been nicer. And less....graphic. besides. hes dead. Why tell a dead guy to suck your testicles? that is just creepy.....

unothadeal
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Ah yes, that is correct. It's been a while since I have seen BB, and I haven't seen anywhere near as much as Burton's '89 Batman.

FWIW, I do like that Wayne/Batman character better that Bale brings forth as opposed to Burton's version(s).

In the original comics, The Joker was not the one who killed Bruce's parents, FWIW.