PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Officially Concerned About Headcoach Situation

Shox
01-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Is anyone else becoming very concerned.

Shanny now says he is not coaching in 2009, The Chin not coaching in 2009 (not that many seriously though he would), Ryan, Spagnola, and others signed already.

Now, the Arizona Republic is reporting Haley wants to stay with Arizona (which does not mean much), but also the Chiefs have not even asked for permission to talk to Haley. Why in the world if Haley was one of the guys we wanted would be have not made an effort to talk to him last week when the window was open?

Some are speculating about Parcels. As good as he is I really don't think it is the right move. He is not a long term head coach. Besides I think he kind of likes the present situation, he gets all the credit for the success and if things go bad he will have a perfect scapegoat in Sparano.

Where do we go if Haley isn't interested, assuming we want him anyway, Chuckie Gruden - horrible choice. I would rather have stuck with Herm. Looks like the rest are just left over picks.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
No. You're wrong.

L.A. Chieffan
01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
rich kotite is available

Shox
01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Great start.

Fish
01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
You're right. It's time to panic!

rockymtnchief
01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I read somehwere yesterday that Parcells is staying put in Miami. So he can be crossed off the list. The pickins are getting slim.

L.A. Chieffan
01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Great start.

rod marinelli then?

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 10:00 AM
it's gonna get worse before it gets better too

teams aren't supposed to make any announcements during super bowl week.

another week(at least) to wait

Brock
01-26-2009, 10:01 AM
No need to hurry at this point, the only other team that hasn't hired one is the Raiders.

DMAC
01-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Yep. Pioli is a moron...why would he fire a head coach without a plan to replace him!

:spock:

KCChiefsFan88
01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Shanahan has not said he won't coach in 2009... the sources Adam Schefter and Peter King are quoting have said he won't coach in 2009.

Shox
No need to hurry at this point, the only other team that hasn't hired one is the Raiders.

What are you talking about. The combine is fast approching. We have an entire coaching staff to hire other than maybe a OC who is going to be gone if we don't get our butt in gear.

Off course I'm sure there is a whole bunch of great high school coaches who are available to fill-in for a year.

DeezNutz
A little urine seeped out while I read the OP. Not a full-fledged pant pissing, but the pump's primed.

Please, provide this poster a positive perception. Pretty please, perhaps?

KCChiefsFan88
01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
The Chiefs can't ask for permission to interview Haley until after the Super Bowl

Chiefnj2
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
It'll be someone from the Cards or Steelers. There's no need to rush at this point. Let the guys coach their team and not be distracted, etc.

Shox
The Chiefs can't ask for permission to interview Haley until after the Super Bowl

They could have asked last week according to NFL rules.

Brock
What are you talking about. The combine is fast approching. We have an entire coaching staff to hire other than maybe a OC who is going to be gone if we don't get our butt in gear.

Off course I'm sure there is a whole bunch of great high school coaches who are available to fill-in for a year.

Yeah, there's that and a couple of Super Bowl teams with people that we might want to interview.

The combine is months away. The offensive coordinator can't leave unless they tell him he can. Basically you're panicking for no reason.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 10:06 AM
um .....

assistant coaches
Senior bowl
draft prep
FA prep
current team evaluation

tons of stuff that needs to be done

smittysbar

Yeah, he was saying last week

KCChiefsFan88

They didn't officially have a head coaching vacancy until the end of day on Friday.

Midnight_Vulture
01-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Herm is gone...what is there to be concerned about?

Brock
um .....

assistant coaches
Senior bowl
draft prep
FA prep
current team evaluation

tons of stuff that needs to be done

Well, this is how it goes if you're wanting to raid a Super Bowl team's staff.

DeezNutz
Basically you're panicking for no reason.

But can you tell me if there's a reason a little pee pee just expelled from my johnson?

Shox
01-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Best point I've heard so far. LOL. I'm smiling again.

Mr. Laz
They didn't officially have a head coaching vacancy until the end of day on Friday.
and they were the ones who CHOSE to not have a vacancy yet.

besides ..... i know of no rule that prevents a team from finding a new coach until they have gotten rid of the old one.

didn't stop the chiefs with Vermeil

DeezNutz
Wind, piss. Piss, wind.

Brock
But can you tell me if there's a reason a little pee pee just expelled from my johnson?

I hear you can get a free prostate exam in certain parts of town.

OnTheWarpath58
01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
The pickings are only slim to you guys.

I'm betting that fans of the Ravens and Falcons thought the pickings were slim before Harbaugh and Smith were hired.

It's not a failure if we don't get a big name.

I think Pioli knows exactly who he wants, and timed Herm's firing perfectly. Firing Herm at the end of the day Friday limited the amount of media exposure, and with the moratorium on announcements/breaking news from the NFL during SB week, he can interview candidates without worry of it being leaked.

I wouldn't be shocked if he hires someone that's completely off our radar, like Bruce Arians.

Hog Farmer
Pioli is in talks with Rainman as we speak. I'm expecting an announcement this week.

DeezNutz
I hear you can get a free prostate exam in certain parts of town.

I'm going to look into that.

BigRichard
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Shanahan has not said he won't coach in 2009... the sources Adam Schefter and Peter King are quoting have said he won't coach in 2009.

I consider Peter King a very good source when it comes to the NFL. I can not think of a time when he has been way off the mark when it comes to dealing with personnel.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
The pickings are only slim to you guys.

I'm betting that fans of the Ravens and Falcons thought the pickings were slim before Harbaugh and Smith were hired.

It's not a failure if we don't get a big name.

I think Pioli knows exactly who he wants, and timed Herm's firing perfectly. Firing Herm at the end of the day Friday limited the amount of media exposure, and with the moratorium on announcements/breaking news from the NFL during SB week, he can interview candidates without worry of it being leaked.

I wouldn't be shocked if he hires someone that's completely off our radar, like Bruce Arians.

Did you see the Mike Tomlin interview that re-aired yesterday on Countdown?

That's what I want. Go find this type of guy. And I'm guessing probably far less than 1% of Steeler fans knew who the heck this guy was.

OnTheWarpath58
01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/qwzsr7.jpg

OnTheWarpath58
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Did you see the Mike Tomlin interview that re-aired yesterday on Countdown?

That's what I want. Go find this type of guy. And I'm guessing probably far less than 1% of Steeler fans knew who the heck this guy was.

Exactly.

nychief
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Relax Francis...

Nothing is going to happen this week...and you know what? It doesn't matter, senior bowl is over.. Maybe we'll get lucky and Luv posts a poll about Donkey Punching.

KCChiefsFan88
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I consider Peter King a very good source when it comes to the NFL. I can not think of a time when he has been way off the mark when it comes to dealing with personnel.

Peter King doesn't know jack shit about any team not within a 75 mile radius of his New Jersey compound.

OnTheWarpath58
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Relax Francis...

Nothing is going to happen this week...and you know what? It doesn't matter, senior bowl is over.. Maybe we'll get lucky and Luv posts a poll about Donkey Punching.

LMAO

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Relax Francis...

Sexy.

But the punch has to happen within 30 seconds of the facial to be *really* sexy.

Fritz88
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I

Please tell me I'm wrong.

You are. Now go make yourself a good bowl of chili and enjoy it while browsing CP.

Ultra Peanut
01-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Ultra Peanut has released a press conference today to officially announce that she doesn't care how concerned internet poster Shox is.

MahiMike
01-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I was thinking the same thing today. Friday night I was jumping for joy and now my tummy don't feel so good.

the Talking Can
01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
i bet we re-hire Herm.

Pioli is in way over his head.

smittysbar
01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Pioli seems to have a rep of being on the money with decisions. With that said, I imagine he know exactly who he wants, and wouldn't surprise me a bit if it is just a formality of the contract and announcement.

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
i bet we re-hire Herm.

Pioli is in way over his head.

What a fucking idiot.

Good grief. It's been a fucking week and True Fans like the Talking Can already are shitting themselves hoping beyond hope for the good old days of Marty and large RT's.

Get the fuck out of here, and leave your WPI money at the door.

BigRichard
01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Peter King doesn't know jack shit about any team not within a 75 mile radius of his New Jersey compound.

I can't really prove he is right all the time, but you can prove he is wrong a lot of the time. Give me some examples where he wasn't right when it came to NFL personnel.

Shox
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Pioli seems to have a rep of being on the money with decisions. With that said, I imagine he know exactly who he wants, and wouldn't surprise me a bit if it is just a formality of the contract and announcement.

If he knows exactly who he wants and has already negotiated the deal why not sign the contract. That is just a very bad business practice. If you have an agreement get it signed, because until then you have absolutely nothing.

I think Mr. Pioli is a good GM so I he may very well have someone in mind, but seriously doubt there is any deal in place.

KCChiefsFan88
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
King provides more insight into why he believes Shanahan won't coach in
2009:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/25/walkup/4.html

I think if you're looking for a smoking gun in Mike Shanahan NOT returning to coaching in 2009, look no further than his coaching staff. Since getting fired in late December, Shanahan lost lots of his staff to other teams -- trusted quarterback coach and play-caller Jeremy Bates to USC as offensive coordinator, receivers coach Jedd Fisch to the University of Minnesota as offensive coordinator, defensive line coach Bill Johnson to the same job with the Saints, assistant Joe Baker to the defensive backfield job with Tampa Bay, and defensive coordinator Bob Slowik to the secondary job in Detroit.

I can tell you for a fact that Shanahan would not take a job if he didn't have the makings of a staff he liked in place, and so many of the guys he worked with were already gone. Give him six or eight months to line up a staff this year, and you'll likely see him back with a team early next year.

Considering how many changes Shanahan had to his coaching staff in Denver over the past few years, I don't think the fact some of the members from his coaching staff from this year's team are no longer available qualifies as a "smoking gun".

Peter King is reaching big time.

Skip Towne
01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
What a fucking idiot.

Good grief. It's been a fucking week and True Fans like the Talking Can already are shitting themselves hoping beyond hope for the good old days of Marty and large RT's.

Hey, yeah, Marty. I forgot about him. Is he available?

smittysbar
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
If he knows exactly who he wants and has already negotiated the deal why not sign the contract. That is just a very bad business practice. If you have an agreement get it signed, because until then you have absolutely nothing.

I think Mr. Pioli is a good GM so I he may very well have someone in mind, but seriously doubt there is any deal in place.

It seriously wouldn't surprise me, but it's just my opinion. I figure he knew exactly who he wanted before he came here, and would imagine he reached out to them before coming.

I could be wrong but that is my feeling.

Mr. Kotter
I'm bettin' it's gonna be one of the Todd candidates....

Haley or Bowles.

Personally, I'd be fine with Gruden too.

:hmmm:

DeezNutz
Hey, yeah, Marty. I forgot about him. Is he available?

Now there's a good idea.

If we can't lure Cowher away from CBS, Pioli should go after Marty hard.

After intercourse, of course, Pioli should then see if Marty wants to coach again.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
You are. Now go make yourself a good bowl of chili and enjoy it while browsing CP.
bullshit ....... i know some people come to this board pretty much for the sole reason of being able to make themselves feel superior by yelling "chicken little" at the top of their lungs but the reality is that all this delay HAS hurt the Chiefs already.

1. we would of been able to coach the Senior bowl which is a definite bonus if our coaching situation wasn't shot to shit.

2. our talent evaluation at the senior bowl just can't be as good as it would of been if our situation was set.

3. every day that goes by, we lose "time" on the offseason talent evaluation period for the college and pro players that will be available.

4. the coaching pool is shrinking for all the coaching positions be the head coach to position coaches.

are we DOOOOOOOOOOOMed?

no, but it's a valid concern and has been for awhile now.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
If I were a coach on the Steelers or Cards staff that gets approached after the Super Bowl by Pioli, I would be very grateful that KC showed respect by not distracting me and my players as we approached the biggest game of our lives.

InChiefsHell
01-26-2009, 10:35 AM
This is all Carl's fault. Too many leaks out of Arrowhead in the past, and now we're stuck with some GM who is more concerned with getting things done right, to hell with what the fans think. If Carl hadn't lowered the standards around here, we wouldn't be pissing our pants over stupid shit.

For one last time...

DAMMIT CARL!!! :cuss:

beach tribe
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Pioli knows who he wants, and he's gonna get him. You people amaze me. Can you not wait till after the SB? Because nothing is going to happen until then. I don't expect a big name retread, and I hope my expectations are correct. We're gonna get a young, hungry, fresh set of eyes for the HC position as well.

Guru
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Who cares? Seriously. Just give him his time to make his decision.

raybec 4
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM

They didn't fire Herm until Friday. It's not as if they are going to have heaps of other teams competing for the remaining superbowl coaches at this point. The only other team with a vacancy is the Raiders and very few quality coaches over the age of thirty want to work for AL Davis. People were shitting all over themselves because we hadn't hired a GM.Then they were pissing their pants because we hadn't fired Herm. Now they are filling their depends because two full days have past and no hires yet.

Brock
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
If I were a coach on the Steelers or Cards staff that gets approached after the Super Bowl by Pioli, I would be very grateful that KC showed respect by not distracting me and my players as we approached the biggest game of our lives.

Absolutely right.

Huffman83
01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about Gailey being a possible candidate for Head Coach.

Being that we're not hearing anything about what unemployed head coaches Pioli is talking to...maybe Gailey is already in the process of getting his coaching staff in order. (Long shot I know.)

He has experience as a head coach as well as experience w/ the players.

Just my 2 cents.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I was kind've hoping the shanny thing was true, due to the unlikeliness of it happening but i honestly am just glad herm is gone! I am sure they will make the right decision and we'll have to see.

Brock
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about Gailey being a possible candidate for Head Coach.

Being that we're not hearing anything about what unemployed head coaches Pioli is talking to...maybe Gailey is already in the process of getting his coaching staff in order. (Long shot I know.)

Just my 2 cents.

That would be a last resort, IMO.

the Talking Can
01-26-2009, 10:41 AM
What a ****ing idiot.

Good grief. It's been a ****ing week and True Fans like the Talking Can already are shitting themselves hoping beyond hope for the good old days of Marty and large RT's.

Get the **** out of here, and leave your WPI money at the door.

ROFL

now i know what it's like to be on the other side...

KCChiefsFan88
01-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Gailey has mentioned in pretty much every "potential head coaching candidates" article or list written since Herm was fired.

Mike Shanahan is still Pioli and Clark's #1 target IMO.

tooge
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Clark has stated something about liking the Steeler way of doing things. It could be the asst. coach there (whats his name?) or Bowles or someone different. Point is, Pioli has a history of keeping things under wraps, and just because nothing is coming out of Arrowhead doesn't mean nothing is happening there. He is known as a likeable guy, Clark is known as a loyal guy. It is gonna pay well. Bottom line is that they will get the guy they want, and they already know that is. Timing isn't hurting us at all.

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
ROFL

now i know what it's like to be on the other side...

:D

I thought you might appreciate the effort.

SNR
01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Pioli's a failure. He obviously doesn't care about winning. When all the good coaches are getting picked over, he decides to go on vacation. Now there are no good coaches left! We'll be forced to hire Dick Curl as head coach

Maybe if we ask nicely, Gunther will choose to come back to KC one last time as head coach

Shox
01-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Absolutely right.

Oh right. You win a lot of NFL games by being curtious and polite. Pioli is not a guy who strikes we as worried about stepping on someones toes.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
bullshit ....... i know some people come to this board pretty much for the sole reason of being able to make themselves feel superior by yelling "chicken little" at the top of their lungs but the reality is that all this delay HAS hurt the Chiefs already.

1. we would of been able to coach the Senior with is a definite bonus if our coaching situation wasn't shot to shit.

2. our talent evaluation at the senior just can't be as good as it would of been if our situation was set.

3. every day that goes by, we lose "time" on the offseason talent evaluation period for the college and pro players that will be available.

4. the coaching pool is shrinking for all the coaching positions be the head coach to position coaches.

are we DOOOOOOOOOOOMed?

Chill out.

Today is 1/26/09.

Mike Tomlin was hired 1/22/07
Tony Sporano was hired 1/16/08
John Harbaugh hired 1/19/08
Mike Smith was hired 1/23/08

An extra week is not going to hurt things. No need to panic.

Brock
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh right. You win a lot of NFL games by being curtious and polite. Pioli is not a guy who strikes we as worried about stepping on someones toes.

Why would you need to talk to them before the Super Bowl? There is absolutely no reason to do it.

Huffman83
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
That would be a last resort, IMO.

I hope it's the last resort. But it wouldn't shock me if that was what happened.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM

What is this 'curtious' behavioral trait? If it correlates with winning games maybe we should target a head coach who is 'curtious'.

SNR
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Pioli is no better than Carl. At least Carl would have kept Herm, and KC would be coaching the senior bowl and assembling a good intelligence on the draft.

This lack of coordination and organization is NOT what this organization needs. It's going to put us years behind.

I'd just as soon fire Pioli and put in a competant GM who would have signed a head coach by now. If we're going to be behind on our coaching staff, we may as well be behind for the rest of the year. Maybe we can finally grab the #1 overall pick next year.

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Pioli is no better than Carl. At least Carl would have kept Herm, and KC would be coaching the senior bowl and assembling a good intelligence on the draft.

This lack of coordination and organization is NOT what this organization needs. It's going to put us years behind.

I'd just as soon fire Pioli and put in a competant GM who would have signed a head coach by now. If we're going to be behind on our coaching staff, we may as well be behind for the rest of the year. Maybe we can finally grab the #1 overall pick next year.

:clap:

SNR
If only we could have had Spagnuolo. Pioli's slow reaction will be our ruin!

Chief Roundup
King provides more insight into why he believes Shanahan won't coach in
2009:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/25/walkup/4.html

I think if you're looking for a smoking gun in Mike Shanahan NOT returning to coaching in 2009, look no further than his coaching staff. Since getting fired in late December, Shanahan lost lots of his staff to other teams -- trusted quarterback coach and play-caller Jeremy Bates to USC as offensive coordinator, receivers coach Jedd Fisch to the University of Minnesota as offensive coordinator, defensive line coach Bill Johnson to the same job with the Saints, assistant Joe Baker to the defensive backfield job with Tampa Bay, and defensive coordinator Bob Slowik to the secondary job in Detroit.

I can tell you for a fact that Shanahan would not take a job if he didn't have the makings of a staff he liked in place, and so many of the guys he worked with were already gone. Give him six or eight months to line up a staff this year, and you'll likely see him back with a team early next year.

Considering how many changes Shanahan had to his coaching staff in Denver over the past few years, I don't think the fact some of the members from his coaching staff from this year's team are no longer available qualifies as a "smoking gun".

Peter King is reaching big time.

Well I don't doubt that over the last few years Shanahan has burnt a few relationships. He has been replacing his coordinators like trash in the wind. So he may very well be low on people that would want to work with him.

DaWolf
01-26-2009, 10:56 AM

LOL. I think the last time we coached the Senior Bowl we wound up drafting Sylvester Morris. Our draft plans are ruined, ruined I tells ya! :)

boogblaster
01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Im thinkin Gaily is goin to gey the job ...

BigChiefFan
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Loose lips, sink ships.

Brock
01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Im thinkin Gaily is goin to gey the job ...

I think he'll get to keep his job.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Apparently Shanahan likes golf. Today from Schefter:

Late Friday afternoon, when multiple reports surfaced that Kansas City and Mike Shanahan were close to a deal that would make him the next head coach of the Chiefs, the former Broncos coach could not be found. He was missing for a brief time, his cell phone going directly to voice mail.

Shanahan quickly found out the fuss he indirectly and unknowingly had created. When he walked off the golf course and into the clubhouse after playing 18, multiple golfers asked Shanahan if it were true he was closing in on a deal with the Chiefs.

Shanahan laughed. He had heard the rumors since Thursday morning, when members of his former coaching staff began calling to ask him if it were true that he was going to Kansas City.

As he told the people in the golf clubhouse, there was nothing new Friday that hadn’t been true on Thursday. He had not had any contact with the Chiefs, didn’t plan to have any contact with the Chiefs, and would not be coaching the Chiefs.

In other words, he would have more time to play golf.

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm sure adam loves the taste of shanny's balls

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm sure adam loves the taste of shanny's balls

Are they similar to Schwetty balls?

Sure-Oz
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Are they similar to Schwetty balls?

ROFL

Chief Roundup
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM

1. we would of been able to coach the Senior with is a definite bonus if our coaching situation wasn't shot to shit.

2. our talent evaluation at the senior just can't be as good as it would of been if our situation was set.

are we DOOOOOOOOOOOMed?

Totally agree with this.
Coaches need to get in place to be able to get to know the other coaches that they are going to be working with. They have got a lot of tape that they need to review.
They have families that they have to get moved that takes time with finding schools and neighborhoods and such.
All is time. Time they could of been spending together going over this team!

As it is now we will be at least 2-2-09 before we name a coach and start putting a staff together. How long before the rest of the staff is filed. Basicly the end of February...:shrug: That would give them a month to 6 weeks to get to know this entire roster/team and the entire draft class for what this team needs this offseason.

Chiefnj2
01-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Totally agree with this.
Coaches need to get in place to be able to get to know the other coaches that they are going to be working with. They have got a lot of tape that they need to review.
They have families that they have to get moved that takes time with finding schools and neighborhoods and such.
All is time. Time they could of been spending together going over this team!

As it is now we will be at least 2-2-09 before we name a coach and start putting a staff together. How long before the rest of the staff is filed. Basicly the end of February...:shrug: That would give them a month to 6 weeks to get to know this entire roster/team and the entire draft class for what this team needs this offseason.

How do you know if Pioli did or did not bring in any of his own personnel guys at this point and whether they were in Mobile last week?

Coogs
01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd just as soon fire Pioli and put in a competant GM

Honeymoon is over already. Only in KC.

Can't wait to see how long our first round draft pick will get before being declared a bust. Probably 2 or 3 minutes tops after the selection.

BigChiefFan
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Laz, don't you think it's a bit naive to assume Pioli didn't have a good idea already what the PATS draft board was? You're assuming that's he's doing nothing and did nothing prior to his arrival. I disagree with the sentiment.

nychief
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
mike smith wasn't hired till a year ago today... take it easy.

We are going to hire Haley and Pioli is not flying blind on the draft... he has been running an NFL draft for the last eight years and is a draft wonk... he knows the players.

siberian khatru
01-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Can't wait to see how long our first round draft pick will get before being declared a bust. Probably 2 or 3 minutes tops after the selection.

I'm beginning to worry that the franchise won't even make it to Draft Day. We might fold or move to Oklahoma City.

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 11:25 AM

He's fucking with you. Not serious.

blueballs
01-26-2009, 11:26 AM
your transferring again
you're really worried about
missing out on getting a bacon explosion for lunch

J Diddy
01-26-2009, 11:28 AM
your transferring again
you're really worried about
missing out on getting a bacon explosion for lunch

I think that particularly recipe has been misnamed. It should be aorta explosion.

Coogs
01-26-2009, 11:29 AM
He's fucking with you. Not serious.

OK. That's what I get for reading the threads from back to front. Missed out on the sarcasim bit.

Bowser
01-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Fuck this slow moving team. I'm going to concentrate my fandom solely on the Brigade, henceforth.

CoMoChief
01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Is there anyone in the Steelers organization or around the NFL that has directly worked under Dick LaBeau? I know Dick's too old IMO to be a candidate, but someone whos been successful with him should be considered to look at. LaBeau's been a fine def coord for sometime in the NFL.

BigRichard
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I think Pioli is the worst pick for this board. He is going to make half of you have a heart attack.

ncCHIEFfan
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow! Just wow.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Is there anyone in the Steelers organization or around the NFL that has directly worked under Dick LaBeau? I know Dick's too old IMO to be a candidate, but someone whos been successful with him should be considered to look at. LaBeau's been a fine def coord for sometime in the NFL.

This guy has one hell of a history - http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49264/

CoMoChief
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM

He's one I'd look at......takes care of the Rooney rule as well.

Infidel Goat
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM

I actually pimped John Mitchell on another thread:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200798

I think he'd make a great pick...

KCChiefsFan88
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Mike Martz and Al Saunders are both available to serve as the foundation for any offensive coaching staff the next head coach of the Chiefs begins to assemble.

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Pioli knows who he wants, and he's gonna get him. You people amaze me. Can you not wait till after the SB? Because nothing is going to happen until then. I don't expect a big name retread, and I hope my expectations are correct. We're gonna get a young, hungry, fresh set of eyes for the HC position as well.

Crossing my fingers for Russ Grimm as I have been for some time. I am surprised he is not getting more talk/speculation in the media. That is perfectly fine with me, let him fly under the radar until(if) he lands in KC.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Mike Martz and Al Saunders are both available to serve as the foundation for any offensive coaching staff the next head coach of the Chiefs begins to assemble.

No thanks.

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Sounds good from reading the story. Our defensive line could certainly use some good coaching.

warrior
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Monday meltdown on CP. ROFL

King_Chief_Fan
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Chan Gailey is the next Head Coach.....oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you guys that.

CupidStunt
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Mike Martz and Al Saunders are both available...

For a reason.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I think Pioli is the worst pick for this board. He is going to make half of you have a heart attack.

Exactly.

Isn't it interesting how the silence makes the speculation grow rampant? If we're going crazy, imagine what the media is doing.

Take Schefter. Rat's understudy says that it's not Shanahan. He goes on to say that he's hearing nothing from Kansas City. Nothing. And he's frustrated. Then he goes on to say that Todd Haley and Paul Pasqualoni are leading candidates. If there's nothing coming from KC, then how can he say that with any accuracy?

Oh, but he's in the Parcells tree and because Parcells is Pioli's father-in-law then surely Pioli has to pick someone from that tree. We have nothing to indicate Haley is even on Pioli's radar. Pioli could end up trading our entire draft to New England to get Belichick. He could hire Stoops, Carroll, Ferentz, or Condoleeza Rice and we wouldn't know.

The only thing I THINK I know is that whenever Hunt and Pioli reach out to someone the conversation goes something like this:

Pioli: Hey ___________, this is Scott Pioli from the Chiefs.
Candidate: Hi Scott, how are you?
Pioli: I'm not telling you.
Candidate: What can I do for you?
Pioli: I might be interested in hiring you as our next head coach.
Candidate: Wow, that's dreamy. The best personnel guy, the greatest fans in the world, great BBQ, great pay, what can I say?
Pioli: If you as much as think about this out loud to your wife, children, media, ChiefsPlanet, or anyone else, you will not only NOT get the job but you will also die a mysterious death. I have video cameras, you know.
Candidate: Ok, deal.
Pioli: Outside your home is a park. The 3rd garbage can down the path has a note attached to the bottom of the trash can. You'll get your orders from there.
Candidate: Uh, ok.

King_Chief_Fan

ROFL good one n00b

SNR

Can't wait to see how long our first round draft pick will get before being declared a bust. Probably 2 or 3 minutes tops after the selection.Honestly, the man really has never been a general manager before. It's looking increasingly more likely that he knows nothing about hiring a coach. I figure that most of his successes in New England were due to Bill Bellichick.

And here people thought he was going to be a savior? He still has to prove it. He's in the Show Me State, now. He has yet to produce a head coach for this team. That obviously shows that he is incapable of being a good general manager.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Honestly, the man really has never been a general manager before. It's looking increasingly more likely that he knows nothing about hiring a coach. I figure that most of his successes in New England were due to Bill Bellichick.

And here people thought he was going to be a savior? He still has to prove it. He's in the Show Me State, now. He has yet to produce a head coach for this team. That obviously shows that he is incapable of being a good general manager.

That is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
That is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

Your sarcasm meter is broken, n00b.

DeezNutz
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Honestly, the man really has never been a general manager before. It's looking increasingly more likely that he knows nothing about hiring a coach. I figure that most of his successes in New England were due to Bill Bellichick.

I'll be willing to cut him some slack if he takes a OT or guard with our first-round selection.

We're not going to go anywhere until the O-line is fixed. Center should also be an option.

CupidStunt
01-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Exactly.

Isn't it interesting how the silence makes the speculation grow rampant? If we're going crazy, imagine what the media is doing.

Take Schefter. Rat's understudy says that it's not Shanahan. He goes on to say that he's hearing nothing from Kansas City. Nothing. And he's frustrated. Then he goes on to say that Todd Haley and Paul Pasqualoni are leading candidates. If there's nothing coming from KC, then how can he say that with any accuracy?

Oh, but he's in the Parcells tree and because Parcells is Pioli's father-in-law then surely Pioli has to pick someone from that tree. We have nothing to indicate Haley is even on Pioli's radar. Pioli could end up trading our entire draft to New England to get Belichick. He could hire Stoops, Carroll, Ferentz, or Condoleeza Rice and we wouldn't know.

The only thing I THINK I know is that whenever Hunt and Pioli reach out to someone the conversation goes something like this:

Candidate: Wow, that's dreamy. The best personnel guy, the greatest fans in the world, great BBQ, great pay, what can I say?
Pioli: If you as much as think about this out loud to your wife, children, media, ChiefsPlanet, or anyone else, you will not only NOT get the job but you will also die a mysterious death. I have video cameras, you know.
Pioli: Outside your home is a park. The 3rd garbage can down the path has a note attached to the bottom of the trash can. You'll get your orders from there.

I don't do it often, but rep.

LMAO

CoMoChief
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
No thanks.

Im half n half on this. I think AS and Martz would work well together. I know our playmakers would like it. Thigpen could do well under Martz IMO.

Then again Martz is one crazy bastard and we would turn the ball over more with him. Give AS an Oline and this could work.

DaWolf
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM

ROFL

JimNasium
01-26-2009, 12:36 PM
DOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R&GHomer
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Laz, don't you think it's a bit naive to assume Pioli didn't have a good idea already what the PATS draft board was? You're assuming that's he's doing nothing and did nothing prior to his arrival. I disagree with the sentiment.

This

bowener
01-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Im not worried. My hope is that we are hiring a guy off a super bowl teams roster. I wouldnt mind Dick Lebeau...

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
they just went 2-14.

what is there to be "panicked" about.

they just hired the best talent evaluator before the draft.

they could hire Tina Louise as HC and it would be an improvement

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM

I'd just as soon fire Pioli and put in a competant GM who would have signed a head coach by now. If we're going to be behind on our coaching staff, we may as well be behind for the rest of the year. Maybe we can finally grab the #1 overall pick next year.Pioli's a failure. He obviously doesn't care about winning. When all the good coaches are getting picked over, he decides to go on vacation. Now there are no good coaches left! We'll be forced to hire Dick Curl as head coach

Maybe if we ask nicely, Gunther will choose to come back to KC one last time as head coach
wow ... you must shop at douches R' us

nobody has said any of these things .... they are just concerned about the coaching situation.

maybe you can make a couple more retarded post in this thread.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
most teams don't have their draft board up

but .... i do hope he is aware of the scouting reports that are going on in general

that doesn't change that fact that a coaching staff is gonna change the types of players we are looking for

RustShack
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Why would anyone panic about the coaching situation when the fucking Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet?

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Why would anyone panic about the coaching situation when the fucking Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet?
who said they were panicky?

Pioli Zombie
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Stop panicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ari Chi3fs
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM

whoa... midnight_vulture dropping some positivity. It's the apocalypse upon us?

BigChiefFan
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM

but .... i do hope he is away for the scouting reports that are going on in general

that doesn't change that fact that a coaching staff is gonna change the types of players we are looking forWe are going to hire a coach that has the same PHILOSOPHY as Pioli. Believe it or not, the interview process actually does ANSWER questions about candidates.

siberian khatru
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
that doesn't change that fact that a coaching staff is gonna change the types of players we are looking for

How so? If Pioli has control over player personnel, and he has a clear idea of what kind of coach he wants, then he should already know what kinds of players the franchise needs. He already knows what he's looking for. They'll all be on the same page -- the coaches will be coaching the kinds of players Pioli wants the way he wants them coached.

I seriously don't think he's gonna hire some guy and then say, So, what kind of offense do you want to run? What kind of defense?

RustShack
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
whoa... midnight_vulture dropping some positivity. It's the apocalypse upon us?

Is it 2012 yet?

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
How so? If Pioli has control over player personnel, and he has a clear idea of what kind of coach he wants, then he should already know what kinds of players the franchise needs. He already knows what he's looking for. They'll all be on the same page -- the coaches will be coaching the kinds of players Pioli wants the way he wants them coached.

I seriously don't think he's gonna hire some guy and then say, So, what kind of offense do you want to run? What kind of defense?
if Pioli is gonna base his Head Coaching hire on specific x's and o's requirements it's no wonder that he hasn't hire anyone yet.

you actually think ..*pause for dramatic effect*... that Pioli is going to say i want a Head Coach that will hire coordinators that will run XXXX and XXXX with the need for this type of player at linebacker and this type of offensive line and this type of receiver?

you know how freaking hard that is going to be to find?

Pioli "hi coach, how are you"
coach "fine, and you sir?"
Pioli "i'm just great"

Pioli "what kind of offense are you gonna run?"
Coach "i prefer a run first offense"
Pioli "ok, what type of passing game?"
Coach "a short possession type passing game with large wide receivers that can also block"
Pioli "thanks for stopping by, Coach ..... NEXT!!!!!"

--------------------------
fast forward 2 weeks.....

Pioli "hi coach#12, how are you"
coach#12 "fine, and you sir?"
Pioli "i'm just great"

Coach#12 "i prefer a run first offense"
Coach#12 "a vertical passing game with speed receivers that can stretch the field and make room for the power running game"
Pioli "nice"

Pioli "what kind of defense are you going to run"
Coach#12 "a 3-4"
Pioli "what coverage"
Coach#12 "3-4 with a cover 2"

Pioli " oooooooooh .... so close!!! ........ NEXT!!!!"

-----------------------------------------

if he is THAT specific about micromanaging the Head Coaching applicants for the exact scheme he wants and for the exact type players, then he might as well write off virtually every big name coach out there.

no way he does that......

he's gonna look for general coaching philosophies and beliefs and then ADAPT THE PERSONNEL dept to fit the head coaches needs.

but please feel free to make up anymore shit you want to so you can join in on this "chicken little" pile on thread.

siberian khatru
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
if Pioli is gonna base his Head Coaching hire on specific x's and o's requirements it's no wonder that he hasn't hire anyone yet.

you actually think ..*pause for dramatic effect*... that Pioli is going to say i want a Head Coach that will hire coordinators that will run XXXX and XXXX with the need for this type of player at linebacker and this type of offensive line and this type of receiver?

you know how freaking hard that is going to be to find?

Pioli "hi coach, how are you"
coach "fine, and you sir?"
Pioli "i'm just great"

Coach "i prefer a run first offense"
Coach "a short possession type passing game with large wide receivers that can also block"
Pioli "thanks for stopping by, Coach ..... NEXT!!!!!"

fast forward 2 weeks.....

Pioli "hi coach#12, how are you"
coach#12 "fine, and you sir?"
Pioli "i'm just great"

Coach#12 "i prefer a run first offense"
Coach#12 "a vertical passing game with speed receivers that can stretch the field and make room for the power running game"
Pioli "nice"

Pioli "what kind of defense are you going to run"
Coach#12 "a 3-4"
Pioli "what coverage"
Coach#12 "3-4 with a cover 2"

Pioli " oooooooooh .... so close!!! ........ NEXT!!!!"

-----------------------------------------

if he is THAT specific about micromanaging the Head Coaching applicants for the exact scheme he wants and for the exact type players, then he might as well write off virtually every big name coach out there.

no way he does that......

he's gonna look for general coaching philosophies and beliefs and then ADAPT THE PERSONNEL dept to fit the head coaches needs.

but please feel free to make up anymore shit you want to so you can join in on this "chicken little" pile on thread.

ROFL

I'M making shit up? Says the guy who just typed out his Penny Arcade comic version of his football worldview.

Just calm down, Laz. :)

I may be wrong, but I don't see how I'm "making shit up." What if Pioli wants to run a 3-4? Wouldn't he hire coaches who knows the 3-4? Wouldn't he be drafting players that fit into a 3-4 scheme? Why is that so outlandish?

And you also act like he's gonna be conducting a casting call for coaches -- a bunch of unknowns sit in the hallway outside the office door like actors preparing to read a scene. Why is it crazy to believe he's got 2-3 guys he's familiar with and who would be available? Maybe they already share his philosophy -- 3-4 defense, power running game, whatever it may be.

Is what I wrote so different than what you said here:
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5426085&postcount=24

OnTheWarpath58
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM

but .... i do hope he is aware of the scouting reports that are going on in general

:spock:

EVERY team has their draft board up.

They start immediately following the draft, and tweak it as it gets closer to the next draft.

Scouting/personnel departments work year-round. Not just in the offseason.

KCChiefsMan
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm kinda thinking that we are waiting until after the superbowl. Some of you would be happy if you logged on to the planet and the whole front page was Chiefs hire Art Shell as HC

patience young grasshoppers

theorangelion
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Am I becoming very concerned? No. If Pioli is the GM we think he is we will be fine. He will make an informed intelligent choice that most will be happy with. Maybe so Maybe not. But all we can do is wait and extrapolate out theories, views and beliefs here on CP.

Craqhead
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
How do you know he has no plan?

I need a link?

BigChiefFan
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
It's better to be thorough and interview as many candidates as possible. Just because you don't see or hear it, doesn't mean it isn't taking place.

RustShack
01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
It's better to be thorough and interview as many candidates as possible. Just because you don't see or hear it, doesn't mean it isn't taking place.

You don't just interview anyone... if your a good GM you have a short list of guys who fit what you want...

RustShack
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Pioli wouldn't have fired Herm if he didn't have anyone he thought would be an upgrade.

Mr. Laz
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Is what I wrote so different than what you said here:
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5426085&postcount=24
yes .. what you wrote is completely different

i wrote what i thought would be Pioli's general philosophies

you are suggestion that Pioli will pick a Head Coach to fit the type of players he has evaluated already and therefore doesn't have to work about draft prep because of it.

completely absurd

the most pioli can hope for is to match the general attitude to a quality head coach available.

you match your draft/FA to the coaching NOT the other way around.

PastorMikH
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I've just gone through a span of 6 wins in 32 games, I'm willing to give Pioli the benifit of the doubt, no matter what he does, it would be hard to be worse than we have been.

I don't think he would have let Herm go if he didn't have some confidence that he could replace Herm with someone better. It would have been poor taste to hire someone on the same day you let the former HC go. It's monday of the following week - 1 working day.

95% of posters are upset because Herm is still around, Herm finally gets canned. 1 business day later, everyone is worried that Pioli won't be able to land another HC.

If we don't have a HC a month from now, I'll be concerned. But right now, I'm willing to relax and waiting with curiosity to see who is hired.

milkman
01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I just don't know what any of you are worried about.

Pioli is just waiting for Maurice Carthon.

Der Flöprer
01-26-2009, 09:55 PM
What a fucking idiot.

LMAO This is fucking sig worthy.

bowener
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM

I need a link?

Im not sure that Clark pays $5 million a year to a guy who pitched him NOTHING for 9 hours during their first interview. I am pretty sure he has a plan that does not involve you or I knowing it until it is laid out in obvious fashion for all us fans to see.

I assume that Pioli has a plan, and it may involve a coach from a staff that is currently preparing for the Super Bowl. That does not mean that he will ultimately hire one of those coaches, it just means that he wont go the route of Carl Peterson and hire a coach without interviewing all options (those that are preparing for the Super Bowl) first.

I think we should all just sit back and drink a lot of beer and wait for the news to come rolling in after the big game.

CaliforniaChief
01-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Im not sure that Clark pays $5 million a year to a guy who pitched him NOTHING for 9 hours during their first interview. I am pretty sure he has a plan that does not involve you or I knowing it until it is laid out in obvious fashion for all us fans to see.

I assume that Pioli has a plan, and it may involve a coach from a staff that is currently preparing for the Super Bowl. That does not mean that he will ultimately hire one of those coaches, it just means that he wont go the route of Carl Peterson and hire a coach without interviewing all options (those that are preparing for the Super Bowl) first.

I think we should all just sit back and drink a lot of beer and wait for the news to come rolling in after the big game.

This is exactly right. There are so many available HC candidates who could be outstanding head coaches. Doing it methodically and correctly is the most important thing. If it's Haley, Bowles, Grimm, etc...great. If not, there's a load of veteran coaches who would be great too. The only other team searching for a head coach is the Raiders, and they appear set on giving the job to a guy who would call a fake field goal toss to one of the fattest, dumbest people ever to walk the earth. So if you're an available HC, which team would YOU choose?

RedThat
01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
No need to hurry.

this hire is a really important one. Let Pioli ravioli take his time and just do his job.

heck even if he takes a month to do this, as long as its right.

and the longer he takes the better..just think the guys working hard and taking the time to do some serious extensive research to get this done right. thats what matters! cant be a bad thing know what im sayin?

*I think we need to be patient

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 12:11 AM
IMO if we dont hire Haley, we will promote Chan Gailey to HC. god i hope not, but i guess hes an improvement from Herm. Gailey just isnt HC material. He sucked as the Cowgirls coach, and has been stuck as OC for a long time now.

okcchief
01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
IMO if we dont hire Haley, we will promote Chan Gailey to HC. god i hope not, but i guess hes an improvement from Herm. Gailey just isnt HC material. He sucked as the Cowgirls coach, and has been stuck as OC for a long time now.

He has only been back at OC one year and there is no scenerio that he gets hired as HC. Unless, they plan to hire him for one year so they can bring in Cowher next year and I don't see that happening at all.

keg in kc
01-27-2009, 02:04 AM
I didn't expect a hire before the superbowl, so I'm not particularly worried.

Warrior5
01-27-2009, 06:21 AM
I didn't expect a hire before the superbowl, so I'm not particularly worried.

This.

InChiefsHell
01-27-2009, 06:30 AM

I need a link?

Here ya go:

www.piolihasnofriggincluewhatsoever.com/wearescrewed.htm

...reads like total truth...

mylittlepony
01-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Im more concerned about getting assistants at this point. HC is a prestigious position and shouldnt be that hard to fill. Position coaches have all been snagged up.

MahiMike
01-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Pioli wouldn't have fired Herm if he didn't have anyone he thought would be an upgrade.

Joke of the day?ROFL

Reerun_KC
01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Joke of the day?ROFL

Heck this is even an upgrade.....

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/354759/2/Wild_Monkey_Sex.jpg

bowener
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Im more concerned about getting assistants at this point. HC is a prestigious position and shouldnt be that hard to fill. Position coaches have all been snagged up.

I dont know about that. If you think of it in terms of what teams typically do when a coordinator leaves, they usually promote a guy from just under them, like a WR's/QB coach or something.

I would assume that if we hired Haley as the HC, he would bring along a few guys to coach under him, most of them would get to make a vertical career move, and one of them would probably have been moved up to the OC job in Arizona.

I was also wondering if Haley came along, do you think he would be the HC and still call all the offensive plays similar to what Holmgreen did (other coaches too... dont want to look them up right now)?

I also hope/assume that we are going to hire a guy off of the Steelers D to be our DC.

StcChief
01-27-2009, 02:22 PM
give it a rest. Superbowl is sunday.

Pioli Zombie
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM
What is wrong with you people????

Peterson and Edwards sucked. Now they are gone.

The Chiefs got the best talent evaluator in football.

Relax, will ya???

Lex Luthor
01-27-2009, 03:54 PM

I keep reading your posts in this thread, and I keep waiting for you to say "Ha ha, Gotcha!", because nobody in his right mind would seriously say the things you are saying.

TEX
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Exactly.

Micjones
01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not concerned about Coordinators if Haley really is Pioli's target.
I think he could very well bring Grimm (OC) and Pendergast (DC) along with him.