PDA

View Full Version : Science Idiots don't vaccinate kids, kids die

Saulbadguy
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/23/hib.vaccine.cdc/index.html

A childhood illness that has mostly been curbed through vaccinations has killed one child and sickened four others in Minnesota, health officials said Friday.
Authorities recommend that those younger than 2 years be vaccinated against 14 diseases, including Hib.

Authorities recommend that those younger than 2 years be vaccinated against 14 diseases, including Hib.

The five children were infected with a bacterial infection known as Hib: Haemophilus influenzae type b.

Three of the affected children had not received any vaccinations, including the 7-month-old who died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"The situation is of concern," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease at the CDC. "It could be happening elsewhere, and of course it's tragic that one of the children actually died from a preventable disease."

Hib primarily affects infants and children under 5 years of age. The vaccine prevents pneumonia, epiglottitis (severe throat infection) and meningitis, which is an infection of the covering of the brain and spinal cord, caused by the bacteria.

One in 20 children infected with Hib dies, according to the CDC. And survivors of the disease can become deaf; 10 to 30 percent have permanent brain damage.

"Parents may not realize the importance of this vaccine," Schuchat said. "The disease is still around."

People tend to "think it's gone because it has not been seen for a while. Clearly, the bacteria is in the community in Minnesota, and babies that haven't gotten their vaccines are at risk," she said.

Before vaccines became widely used, about 20,000 Hib cases were reported each year in the country. After children began receiving the vaccinations in the early 1990s, CDC officials said, there was a 99 percent drop in cases.

A shortage of the Hib vaccine is also causing concern, officials said.

One of the two companies that produce the vaccine, Merck Inc., recalled more than a million doses in December 2007 because of contamination. The recall left a unit of Sanofi Aventis as the only vaccine supplier, creating a shortage.

Under normal circumstances, the first series of the Hib vaccine is administered to children when they are 2, 4 and 6 months old. A booster shot is administered between a child's 12th and 15th month.

Because of the vaccine shortage, the CDC recommended that the primary series for infants should get priority and that older children, who have stronger immune systems, should defer the booster shot until the supply situation improved. Officials said the supply should be back to normal by this summer.

The vaccine shortage did not cause the infection of the five Minnesota children, federal and state health officials said. Three of the children had not received any vaccination because of their parents' decisions, not because of a vaccine shortage, officials said.

One of the infected children, a 5-month old, had not completed the three-dose series of the vaccination, and a 15-month old child had received all doses but had an immune deficiency.

The cases are not related and were in different counties, said Dr. Ruth Lynfield, Minnesota state epidemiologist.

But the shortage may be having an effect in the community.

"When there are high immunization rates, there is herd immunity," Lynfield said. "It may be that because of the shortage, that herd immunity has dropped. That first manifests in unimmunized children."

Some parents don't vaccinate their children because of claims that childhood vaccinations cause autism. Health agencies say there is no evidence linking vaccines to autism.

"For parents that are wavering about whether they need the vaccine, they need to know it's an important vaccine to protect their child from serious infection," Schuchat said.

The Minnesota cases have alarmed health officials because "this is the highest number of cases that we have had since 1992, when vaccines became widely used," Lynfield said.

In 1987, the national rate of Hib meningitis was 41 cases per 100,000 children under the age of 5. After the Hib vaccine was introduced, the rate had fallen to 0.11 per 100,000 in 2007, according to the CDC.

ClevelandBronco
01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Paging Big Daddy...

KcMizzou
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
But hey, no autism... right?

Gonzo
01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Had my 6 mo old vaccinated last week. Poor little guy ended up getting that virus thats going around anyway. But he's ok now.

memyselfI
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
You obviously have not heard of Chicken Pox Parties. These anti-vaccine fanatics schedule parties to expose their kids to the disease so they don't have to vaccinate them. If I thought these people were the extremists in the anti-vax movement I'd pass them off as morons but they appear to be pretty reflective of the movement as a whole.

I swear, I'd not seen anything like the fury of these folks until a recent episode of Private Practice featured this as a storyline. Our quiet little message board was swamped by them screaming all sorts of threats and rants.

http://www.nypost.com/pagesixmag/issues/20090111/Inside+New+York+Chicken+Pox+Parties

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/child_health/chickenpox_party.html

FishingRod
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I got chickenpox when I was 22~. You don't want them as a grown person. Trust me.

Brock
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Getting chicken pox used to be part of being a kid, so I don't see the big deal with that. Avoiding polio vaccines and things like that are the domain of the retard though.

memyselfI
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I got chickenpox when I was 22~. You don't want them as a grown person. Trust me.

My son got a severe case when he was 4 and it was the most miserable two+ weeks of his life. He had them everywhere. Inside his mouth. On and inside his penis. He couldn't swallow. It was awful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. To think parents would intentionally inflict that on their children is abuse, IMO.

I could not wait to get my older son vaccinated when it came out the year he was born.

ClevelandBronco
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
You obviously have not heard of Chicken Pox Parties. These anti-vaccine fanatics schedule parties to expose their kids to the disease so they don't have to vaccinate them. If I thought these people were the extremists in the anti-vax movement I'd pass them off as morons but they appear to be pretty reflective of the movement as a whole.

I swear, I'd not seen anything like the fury of these folks until a recent episode of Private Practice featured this as a storyline. Our quiet little message board was swamped by them screaming all sorts of threats and rants.

http://www.nypost.com/pagesixmag/issues/20090111/Inside+New+York+Chicken+Pox+Parties

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/child_health/chickenpox_party.html

We did this when I was a kid.

There was no vaccine back then and I think the mothers wanted to do just one week of chicken pox with everyone down at once.

I don't understand doing it now.

Demonpenz
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
My son got a severe case when he was 4 and it was the most miserable two+ weeks of his life. He had them everywhere. Inside his mouth. On and inside his penis. He couldn't swallow. It was awful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. To think parents would intentionally inflict that on their children is abuse, IMO.

I could not wait to get my older son vaccinated when it came out the year he was born.

sounds like herpes

KcMizzou
01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
sounds like herpesLMAO

Shame on you. Bad Demonpenz.

memyselfI
01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
sounds like herpes

No, my precious four year old boy got a very bad case of chicken pox. The kid cried more in those two weeks than he had in his previous four years combined. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not even you.

But thanks for your concern. :rolleyes:

J Diddy
01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
sounds like herpes

yeah that was a dick move....

jidar
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
And Darwin nods his head

dirk digler
01-26-2009, 11:04 AM
sounds like herpes

LMAO

Sorry I had to laugh

Damn you Demon damn you

memyselfI
01-26-2009, 11:08 AM
LMAO

Sorry I had to laugh

Damn you Demon damn you

Yeah, I might of laughed too if the memory of that kid's anguish wasn't still so fresh. And it's been 12 years.

SNR
01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
My son got a severe case when he was 4 and it was the most miserable two+ weeks of his life. He had them everywhere. Inside his mouth. On and inside his penis. He couldn't swallow. It was awful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. To think parents would intentionally inflict that on their children is abuse, IMO.:eek:

tiptap
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Uhhh shingles, if you have had Chicken Pox you are more likely to get shingles especially if your immune system is compromised. As opposed to taking the vaccine.

melbar
01-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Get your basic vaccinations, its MMR you have to worry about. Any vacs with mercury as an additive. Some ppl are taking it too far though.

ClevelandBronco
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Paging Big Daddy...

Wait a minute. I think he lost a bet and he's gone for a year.

Oh well. Bump it in 2010, I guess.

Fat Elvis
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Wait a minute. I think he lost a bet and he's gone for a year.

Oh well. Bump it in 2010, I guess.

I thought Darth Carl Satan or whatever his name happens to be was Big Daddy welching on that bet.....

ClevelandBronco
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I thought Darth Carl Satan or whatever his name happens to be was Big Daddy welching on that bet.....

Their politics don't match.

Perhaps that's part of his ploy.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I had chicken pox. What's the big deal? My mom just threw me in the tub and put calamine lotion on my skin. I don't remember it hurting at all. Just itched some.

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Immunization means the body becomes immune to something, all by itself.

Vaccination, by contrast, just means to stick a needle in someone's arm and inject a man made substance we call a vaccine.

Many people have no idea what the difference is. There is a big difference. I would suggest anyone, pro or anti-vaccince, educate themselves on the subject opposed to blindly following the recommended vaccine schedule.

The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination i$ not Immunization by Tim O'Shea is a good place to start. It is definitely a anti-vaccine read, but every page cover to cover is cited by sources which you can further research if you like.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I always thought a vaccine contained with it a little bit of the bacteria that caused the illness/disease, because a little bit of it can be fought off by the body, thereby making it immune.

FishingRod
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
I had chicken pox. What's the big deal? My mom just threw me in the tub and put calamine lotion on my skin. I don't remember it hurting at all. Just itched some.

When I was a kid my brother had the mumps, the measles and the chicken pox. I never caught any of them. I had been exposed to chicken pox at least 100 times. I assumed I was immune. I was very wrong. Imagine being covered from the top of your head to and including the bottom of your feet in poison Ivey. It was one of the times I started smoking again. I found if I kept a smoke in one hand and a beer in the other, I was out of hands to scratch with and eventually I would get drunk enough to go to sleep. Nothing else helped. My 3 year old nephew that I caught it from had about 5-6 little red dots. He is grown up now and I owe him a sharp punch in the junk for that one.

RaiderH8r
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
This anti vaccine movement is becoming more prevalent here in DC metro. I swear if my boy picks up measles, mumps, ebola, or any other dumbass should be eradicated illness because one of these misinformed hippie douchebag cockguzzlers decided it would be best to put the population at risk based on circumstantial science I am going to go Ted Bundy on someone's ass.

lazepoo
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
This anti vaccine movement is becoming more prevalent here in DC metro. I swear if my boy picks up measles, mumps, ebola, or any other dumbass should be eradicated illness because one of these misinformed hippie douchebag cockguzzlers decided it would be best to put the population at risk based on circumstantial science I am going to go Ted Bundy on someone's ass.

I must have missed my ebola shots as a kid...

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM

RaiderH8r, that is a very mis-informed retort. If your boy has been vaccinated, then how is it possible he could get said disease he is now immune to? You see, a vaccine does not grant immunity. Do some research and you will find there is little to NO substantiated research behind any of the vaccines. Follow the money to just down the street from you in DC and see where it leads.

Again, I am not telling anyone what to do, just suggest you do a little research before complying to the recommended Vaccine schedule. You should at least know what are in those vaccines. Do you know what are in the vaccines Raider?

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I always thought a vaccine contained with it a little bit of the bacteria that caused the illness/disease, because a little bit of it can be fought off by the body, thereby making it immune.

Vaccines do contain an attenuated virus, basically meaning that it contains dead cells of said virus which are meant to elicit an immune response. The problem is that these vaccines do not create an immunity to the disease. If they did, why on earth would you need a booster shot? Every bit of information in that book I referenced is backed up by sources. Many of the sources come straight from the CDC's statistics. I have no dog in the fight, but it is frustrating to see the blind faith families put in Doctor's who receive financial gain from dispensing the vaccines.

Mecca
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Anyone who thinks Jenny McCarthy is a good person to listen to about vaccines needs their head examined.

Basileus777
01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I had chicken pox when I was very young, but I don't really remember it at all.

ssj2
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Vaccines do contain an attenuated virus, basically meaning that it contains dead cells of said virus which are meant to illicit an immune response. The problem is that these vaccines do not create an immunity to the disease. If they did, why on earth would you need a booster shot? Every bit of information in that book I referenced is backed up by sources. Many of the sources come straight from the CDC's statistics. I have no dog in the fight, but it is frustrating to see the blind faith families put in Doctor's who receive financial gain from dispensing the vaccines.

DrRyan, are you in the medical profession? if so, MD, DC?

Saulbadguy
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
DrRyan, are you in the medical profession? if so, MD, DC?

Nope. His profile says he is a chiropractor.

whoman69
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM

My son had an extreme case that caused autism. At the time it was suggested not to vaccinate kids less than one for chicken pox. It was fairly new back then.

Nightfyre
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Vaccines do contain an attenuated virus, basically meaning that it contains dead cells of said virus which are meant to illicit an immune response. The problem is that these vaccines do not create an immunity to the disease. If they did, why on earth would you need a booster shot? Every bit of information in that book I referenced is backed up by sources. Many of the sources come straight from the CDC's statistics. I have no dog in the fight, but it is frustrating to see the blind faith families put in Doctor's who receive financial gain from dispensing the vaccines.

Get a fucking clue. If you want to see if medical professionals are doing it for money or legitimate safety concerns, look no further than whether or not they vaccinate their children. If you want to see whether or not vaccines are effective or not, look no further than the diseases eradicated by them. If you want to speak knowledgeably about vaccines, get a REAL medical degree.

EyePod
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM

FAKE DOCTOR. Who cares if they went through med school just like every doctor. I swear they just got to party through it and punch each other in the back the whole time to see which hurt the least, and that's the maneuver they use on their patients.... :-D

DrRyan
01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Get a ****ing clue. If you want to see if medical professionals are doing it for money or legitimate safety concerns, look no further than whether or not they vaccinate their children. If you want to see whether or not vaccines are effective or not, look no further than the diseases eradicated by them. If you want to speak knowledgeably about vaccines, get a REAL medical degree.

Very good point, please do ask your medical doctors if they have vaccinated their children. You may be very surprised at the answers you get. I practice next to a family practice in which we refer patients back and forth to each other when need be. Three out of four Doctors(M.D. and D.O.) in that clinic have not vaccinated their children. Not going to get into a message board fight here, all I am saying is do some research. If you do not believe there is a link between money and vaccinations you are being naive. There are plenty of statistics to prove my point, in large part coming from the CDC and even the drug companies producing the vaccines. It is apparent no one is interested in scientific facts here though.

I was trying to have an intelligent conversation, that obviously is not going to happen. Now back to bickering about the next HC and first round pick of the Chiefs.

NewChief
01-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Get a ****ing clue. If you want to see if medical professionals are doing it for money or legitimate safety concerns, look no further than whether or not they vaccinate their children. If you want to see whether or not vaccines are effective or not, look no further than the diseases eradicated by them. If you want to speak knowledgeably about vaccines, get a REAL medical degree.

I'll just say that our doctor's stance has changed over time. She was very much on the "no worries, vaccines are great!" bandwagon. Every time we brought it up as a concern, she adamantly adopted an attitude that we were being paranoid. Lately, though, her child has some ASD symptoms, and she's equivocated quite a bit from her previous stance. She's been reading Jenny McCarthy's book and lots of literature on the subject and she now thinks that we should spread our vaccines out. This change has taken place over a period of a couple of months, so I'll be curious to see where she arrives at in a year or two.

Valiant
01-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Chicken pox suck.. I have a scar on my forehead from one..

Silock
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
She's been reading Jenny McCarthy's book

If my doctor were taking advice from Jenny fucking McCarthy, I'd be finding a new doctor with a QUICKNESS.

RaiderH8r
01-27-2009, 09:10 AM
RaiderH8r, that is a very mis-informed retort. If your boy has been vaccinated, then how is it possible he could get said disease he is now immune to? You see, a vaccine does not grant immunity. Do some research and you will find there is little to NO substantiated research behind any of the vaccines. Follow the money to just down the street from you in DC and see where it leads.

Again, I am not telling anyone what to do, just suggest you do a little research before complying to the recommended Vaccine schedule. You should at least know what are in those vaccines. Do you know what are in the vaccines Raider?

The follow the money tin foil hat recipe. My question is, does my Dr. do it for his children? Yes. There ya have it.

Additionally, I do know what is in a vaccine and it is, like everything in human progress, a question of risk vs. reward. Risk management if you will.

Due to age differentials in day care situations and vaccine schedules my child can be exposed to an illness for which he isn't ready to be vaccinated by a child whose parent chose not to duly vaccinate because said parent is a tin foil hat wearing assbag of tree hugging hippie dumbassery.

Polio? Vaccine. Small pox? vaccine. Mumps? Vaccine. Whooping cough? Vaccine. Don't give me this bullshit that it's unsubstantiated science because some hippie women's journal from knick knack paddy whack California says rub a salve of goat piss, ground tree bark, and minced squirrel liver on the child's forehead to cure mumps because it worked one time back in 18 naught 3 according to somebody's great great grandmother Dot who wrote kept track of the disease in her diary. Bullshit.

Brock
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll just say that our doctor's stance has changed over time. She was very much on the "no worries, vaccines are great!" bandwagon. Every time we brought it up as a concern, she adamantly adopted an attitude that we were being paranoid. Lately, though, her child has some ASD symptoms, and she's equivocated quite a bit from her previous stance. She's been reading Jenny McCarthy's book and lots of literature on the subject and she now thinks that we should spread our vaccines out. This change has taken place over a period of a couple of months, so I'll be curious to see where she arrives at in a year or two.

Sounds like a great doctor.

ziggysocki
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
If my doctor were taking advice from Jenny fucking McCarthy, I'd be finding a new doctor with a QUICKNESS.

You speak the truth! Only people Jenny McCarthy should be giving advice to is playboy starlets thinking about becoming writers... God. :banghead:

Iowanian
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM

he can likely cure advanced pancreatic cancer by adjusting your pinky finger joints.

RaiderH8r
01-27-2009, 09:43 AM
You speak the truth! Only people Jenny McCarthy should be giving advice to is playboy starlets thinking about becoming writers... God. :banghead:

This whole "showing your boobs and vagina for a medical degree" must be a new development because I'm pretty sure that when I was in college it required like 8 years of school and shit. And you had to study stuff too. Thank god for the showing boobs and vagina route to medical prowess, that Dr. shortage should be taken care of in no time thanks to Girls Gone Wild.

jidar
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM

you're fucking retarded

jidar
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
The follow the money tin foil hat recipe. My question is, does my Dr. do it for his children? Yes. There ya have it.

Additionally, I do know what is in a vaccine and it is, like everything in human progress, a question of risk vs. reward. Risk management if you will.

Due to age differentials in day care situations and vaccine schedules my child can be exposed to an illness for which he isn't ready to be vaccinated by a child whose parent chose not to duly vaccinate because said parent is a tin foil hat wearing assbag of tree hugging hippie dumbassery.

Polio? Vaccine. Small pox? vaccine. Mumps? Vaccine. Whooping cough? Vaccine. Don't give me this bullshit that it's unsubstantiated science because some hippie women's journal from knick knack paddy whack California says rub a salve of goat piss, ground tree bark, and minced squirrel liver on the child's forehead to cure mumps because it worked one time back in 18 naught 3 according to somebody's great great grandmother Dot who wrote kept track of the disease in her diary. Bullshit.

HAHAHAH

nice

rep for that.

DrRyan
01-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Ok, I will try and talk slowly this time so you get it.

Polio:
"90% of those who carried the Polio virus never had any symptoms"
- source: Burnet & White - The Natural History of Infectious Disease - Cambridge University Press New York 1972

Even the CDC also admits that ALL cases of polio in the U.S. after 1979 have been caused by the vaccine, not the disease. Are you getting this? The only cases of polio in the last thirty years have been caused by the vaccine. Why are we still vaccinating? With four shots?
- source: Strebel, P et al - Epidemiology of Poliomyelitis in the U.S. - Clinical Infectious Disease CDC p568 Feb. 1992

I can continue on with more sources about all the other diseases Raider, something you have failed to include in any of your name-calling rants if you would like. These are all facts from either the CDC or peer review medical journals. I am not going to get into a message board name calling, shouting match with you. Again, I have not once cited Jenny McCarthy's book or anything of the sort. All my info has multiple sources to back it up. If you would like to have an intelligent adult conversation about this, as opposed to a child-like tantrum, we can continue. If not, continue with your name calling and I am done.

RaiderH8r
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Polio:
- source: Burnet & White - The Natural History of Infectious Disease - Cambridge University Press New York 1972

Even the CDC also admits that ALL cases of polio in the U.S. after 1979 have been caused by the vaccine, not the disease. Are you getting this? The only cases of polio in the last thirty years have been caused by the vaccine. Why are we still vaccinating? With four shots?
- source: Strebel, P et al - Epidemiology of Poliomyelitis in the U.S. - Clinical Infectious Disease CDC p568 Feb. 1992

I can continue on with more sources about all the other diseases Raider, something you have failed to include in any of your name-calling rants if you would like. These are all facts from either the CDC or peer review medical journals. I am not going to get into a message board name calling, shouting match with you. Again, I have not once cited Jenny McCarthy's book or anything of the sort. All my info has multiple sources to back it up. If you would like to have an intelligent adult conversation about this, as opposed to a child-like tantrum, we can continue. If not, continue with your name calling and I am done.

CDC-In 1988 the World Health Assembly unanimously agreed to eradicate polio worldwide. As a result of global polio eradication efforts, the number of cases reported globally has decreased from more than 350,000 cases in 125 countries in 1988 to 2,000 cases of polio in 17 countries in 2006, and only four countries remain endemic (Afghanistan, India, Nigeria, Pakistan). To date polio has been eliminated from the Western hemisphere, and the European and Western Pacific regions. Stopping vaccination before eradication is achieved would result in a resurgence of the disease in the United States and worldwide. UPDATED April 2007

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/whatifstop.htm#polio

Polio was prolific, now it is not, but it is still not eradicated and the fact that some parents are huffing Dr. BoobsandBox's bullshit means that more people won't be vaccinating which means that it is more likely to pop up again, and possibly in a more virulent form.

Smallpox was once a scourge of mankind, now it is essentially eradicated.

Whooping Cough (pertussis). You wanna fuck with that? I know I don't. The vaccine for pertussis is highly effective. You ever been around a child with pertussis? It ain't pretty, it's god damn painful.

I mean Christ almighty, what is it with people and the war against vaccines?

Silock
01-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Polio didn't go away because it got bored. FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

RaiderH8r
01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Polio didn't go away because it got bored. FOR ****'S SAKE.

:clap:

jynni
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I wish I could find the article now but I recently read an article on a study done in Italy. They followed three groups of kids, one group was not vaccinated, one group had vaccines with no thermisol, and the last group had vaccines with thermisol. There was only one case of autism found and it was a kid from the no vaccines group.

Mr. Kotter
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Has this drawn BD out of seclusion yet? :hmmm:

Heh.

phisherman
01-27-2009, 02:01 PM
the only strange thing to me is the number of vaccinations kids get currently; i don't remember getting that many shots in the late 70s/early 80s.

penguinz
01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Has this drawn BD out of seclusion yet? :hmmm:

Heh.YES (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=11607)

Chiefnj2
01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I wish I could find the article now but I recently read an article on a study done in Italy. They followed three groups of kids, one group was not vaccinated, one group had vaccines with no thermisol, and the last group had vaccines with thermisol. There was only one case of autism found and it was a kid from the no vaccines group.

I saw the press release on that. What was interesting was the low number of autism cases they found overall. Some say the rate is around 1:160. They tested a little over 1,400 children in the Italian study and only found 1 case. In a naturally occurring population they should have found 9-10 kids.

I think the Italian vaccine schedule is almost about half of what the US schedule is for up to 12 months.

veist
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM

I might be more inclined to take you seriously if you were capable of differentiating elicit and illicit when discussing a topic that you are pretending to have educated yourself on. If your ability to communicate clearly is this poor I can't exactly be filled with confidence in your ability to comprehend the information you claim to be so intimately familiar with. All this leads me to hope that your dumb ass doesn't manage to inflict any harm on some poor families with your misinformed opinions being passed off as fact leading to the death of a child.

phisherman
01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
no debate, just nitpicking of semantics, spelling and grammar. par for the course.

kstater
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Polio:

You might want to look at the statistics that show the number of cases of polio before the vaccine and after the vaccine. Might be a tad bit relevant.

wazimo
01-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I am so sorry that there are so many of you out there who blindly follow what is morally thought of as being the "way to go". I am not a medical professional or a tree hugger, as RaiderH8 and others suggest. In fact, I got my information from a friend who works at the CDC in Atlanta. Mercury did cause birth defects, mental retardation and other related illnesses such as autism, alsheimers etc. Most well educated people in the medical community accept that, hense the reason for outlawing certain chemicals which were used in my immunizations. My buddy at the CDC still recommends that I do not immunize my family.

After reading all the posts, Dr Ryan is simply stating that a person should simply look at what they are injecting into their body and why? In the case of Tetanus, the only real way you can get this, is if you come into contact with certain animals fecal matter along with corroded metal, due to the sulphur diatode affect on the blood. Do we really need to take a chemical which can protect against that?

I thought we live in America where we have the right to choose our healthcare preferences. I was immunized but wish I wasn't. No, I have not experienced any side affects, but that is not to say I won't.

One last point - remember that cancer (in essence), is the alteration and affliction of a human cell. What are the only ways this can occur, you guessed it....exposure to man made and other dangerous substances such as gases, chemicals, etc.

Quit the name calling and childish threats.....just educate yourself and make your own determination. After all, we are a democracy aren't we?

DrRyan
01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I might be more inclined to take you seriously if you were capable of differentiating elicit and illicit when discussing a topic that you are pretending to have educated yourself on. If your ability to communicate clearly is this poor I can't exactly be filled with confidence in your ability to comprehend the information you claim to be so intimately familiar with. All this leads me to hope that your dumb ass doesn't manage to inflict any harm on some poor families with your misinformed opinions being passed off as fact leading to the death of a child.

There you go, spelling changed. :rolleyes: Again, my only suggestion was to do a little research for yourself and become better educated on what is going into your children's body and your body.

You might want to look at the statistics that show the number of cases of polio before the vaccine and after the vaccine. Might be a tad bit relevant.

Polio deaths:
1921 - 7229
1926 - 6038
1946 - 3799
1956 - 1604 about the time the vaccine was introduced
1961 - 1076
1966 - 928
1971-75 - no deaths

What caused the massive decline in the disease from 1921 until the vaccine was introduced? That is a decline of approx. 75% before the vaccine was introduced. I agree it is more than a tad bit relevant.

tk13
01-28-2009, 12:09 AM
The number of cases of polio peaked in the early 1950's. I think 1952 is generally regarded as the year it peaked. If you do a quick internet search you'll find numerous articles on the matter, including government statistics and a Time magazine article written in 1952 talking about how they're ahead of 1949's record pace, and how doctors are hoping modern techniques will continue to reduce the number of deaths but still considering it an epidemic.

Unless you believe that's a conspiracy created by the government and a wide range of outlets to make the vaccine more popular, which is a different discussion.

Ebolapox
01-28-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm all for people making INFORMED decisions for their children's safety. I'm all for spacing the vaccinations out and removing as much harm from your child's way as possible.

what annoys me are the 'NO IMMUNIZATION' nazis that freak out that OMG YOUR KID MAY GET AUTISM from a single vaccination

we should treat our bodies (and our children's) like temples--watch what goes in. however, for our children's defenses, give them the fucking howitzer to knock the shit out of the maladies that killed millions of children in the past. more good than harm comes from vaccinations, IMO.

(don't mind me, I'm the resident virus/bacteria geek who'll be doing field work for the cdc here in about 6 years)

Saggysack
01-28-2009, 12:42 AM

Heh. Got it at 28 from my daughter. Was in the hospital for 2 days with chicken pox pneumonia. Back to work in a week. Scabs and all.

veist
01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
no debate, just nitpicking of semantics, spelling and grammar. par for the course.

Yes, excuse me for believing that if someone wants to be taken seriously they present their arguments in a cogent and coherent manner and take the time to ensure that they have laid out a well stated argument. Surely, I am a reprehensible creature for mourning the death of the English language at the hands of the intellectually lazy. Why should I assume they are any less haphazard with their research than they are with their lackadaisical approach to communication? I have neither the time nor inclination to attempt to debunk what I view as the garbage being posted in here because quite frankly if anyone is doing anything but looking into the subject on their own and speaking with experts that they know and trust on the issue they have bigger problems. Namely taking advice on major decisions about the health and welfare of their children from a bunch of people posting on the internet. Which is only slightly less smart than asking for dating advice on CP.

phisherman
01-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Yes, excuse me for believing that if someone wants to be taken seriously they present their arguments in a cogent and coherent manner and take the time to ensure that they have laid out a well stated argument. Surely, I am a reprehensible creature for mourning the death of the English language at the hands of the intellectually lazy. Why should I assume they are any less haphazard with their research than they are with their lackadaisical approach to communication? I have neither the time nor inclination to attempt to debunk what I view as the garbage being posted in here because quite frankly if anyone is doing anything but looking into the subject on their own and speaking with experts that they know and trust on the issue they have bigger problems. Namely taking advice on major decisions about the health and welfare of their children from a bunch of people posting on the internet. Which is only slightly less smart than asking for dating advice on CP.

Sorry, as a typical chiefs planet poster, I can't understand all your big and difficult words.

Iowanian
01-28-2009, 07:16 AM
If unvaccinated people didn't expose babies too young to have been vaccinated to diseases(Preventable ones, with vaccination) than I'd be more inclined to listen to your hippy, home school, bag balm cure-alls.

In the mean time, babies in my area are getting whooping cough, brought in by an unvaccinated person.

RaiderH8r
01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
If unvaccinated people didn't expose babies too young to have been vaccinated to diseases(Preventable ones, with vaccination) than I'd be more inclined to listen to your hippy, home school, bag balm cure-alls.

In the mean time, babies in my area are getting whooping cough, brought in by an unvaccinated person.

QFT.

And that's the rub right there.

I'm not enthused to see people putting their children at risk based on shoddy, outdated research and anecdotal evidence but I can only do so much with so much.

We've focused on polio but smallpox has been all but eradicated...so there's that too...along with a list of other nasty shit that the use of vaccines has lowered the incidence.

memyselfI
02-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Interesting article today from the Times Online. Apparently Dr. Andrew Wakefield lied about his data indicating a link between the MMR vaccine and autism.

I wonder what this will do to the heads of the anti-vax crowd. Do they make a vaccine for spontaneous combustion?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

Saul Good
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Polio deaths:
1921 - 7229
1926 - 6038
1946 - 3799
1956 - 1604 about the time the vaccine was introduced
1961 - 1076
1966 - 928
1971-75 - no deaths

What caused the massive decline in the disease from 1921 until the vaccine was introduced? That is a decline of approx. 75% before the vaccine was introduced. I agree it is more than a tad bit relevant.

What caused it? Selective statistics on your part for starters. I find it odd that you use 1921 and 1926. There was an increase from 1920 to 1930. Wouldn't those years have made more sense to use?

You also conveniently left out 1950 which was about the time that it spiked. Must have just been an oversight, right?

What does it say about your agenda when the samples you use have a 5 year gap followed by a 20 year gap followed by a 10 year gap followed by a 5 year gap? I'll tell you what it says. It says that you are full of shit so you try to convince people by using cherrypicked statistics that suit your argument.

Iowanian
02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Dr Ryan...could you fix this kink in my neck I got reading this article?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29160138

WASHINGTON - In a big blow to parents who believe vaccines caused their children's autism, a special court ruled Thursday that the shots are not to blame.

The judges in the cases said the evidence was overwhelmingly contrary to the parents' claims — and backed years of science that found no risk.

"It was abundantly clear that petitioners' theories of causation were speculative and unpersuasive," the court concluded in one of a trio of cases ruled on Thursday.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement | your ad here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ruling was anxiously awaited by health authorities and families who began presenting evidence in June 2007. More than 5,500 claims have been filed by families seeking compensation through the government's Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. The claims are reviewed by special masters serving on the U.S. Court of Claims.

"Hopefully, the determination by the special masters will help reassure parents that vaccines do not cause autism," the Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement.

An attorney for the families did not respond immediately to a request for comment. But the head of one consumer group that questions vaccine safety, the National Vaccine Information Center, said the court's ruling will do little to change the minds of most parents who suspect a link between vaccines and autism. She said more studies are needed.

Click for related content
Discuss: What do you think of the ruling?
Brain waves show autism language problems
Autism costs strain family finances
Parents press states for autism insurance laws?

"I think it is a mistake to conclude that, because these few test cases were denied compensation, it's been decided vaccines don't play any role in regressive autism," said Barbara Loe Fisher, the center's president.

'Great day for science'
To win, the families' attorneys had to show that it was more likely than not that the autism symptoms in the children were directly related to a combination of the measles-mumps-rubella shots and other shots that at the time carried a mercury-containing preservative called thimerosal.

But the court concluded that "the weight of scientific research and authority" was "simply more persuasive on nearly every point in contention." Fact file

Autism
An early diagnosis improves an autistic child's prognosis. Learn to spot the symptoms.
msnbc.com

"It's a great day for science, it's a great day for America's children when the court rules in favor of science." said Dr. Paul Offit of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

The court still has to rule on separate claims from other families who contend that, rather than a specific vaccine combination, the lone culprit could be thimerosal, a preservative that is no longer in most routine children's vaccines. But in Thursday's rulings, the court may have sent a signal on those cases, too:

"The petitioners have failed to demonstrate that thimerosal-containing vaccines can contribute to causing immune dysfunction," a judge wrote about one theory that the families proposed to explain how autism might be linked.

In 2001, parents began filing petitions for compensation through the vaccine compensation program.

The petitioners originally sought to present three different theories of how vaccines could cause autism. For each theory, there were to be three test cases.

Under the government's vaccine compensation program, awards to the estate in a vaccine-related death are limited to $250,000 plus attorneys' fees and costs. Awards to individuals with an injury judged to be vaccine-related have averaged more than $1 million.

tooge
02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
yeah that was a dick move....

funny thing is that does sound more like a primary herpetic infection than chicken pox. The primary herpetic infection is one that most people have at some time, but it is much more severe in some than others. It can be as simple as a cold sore on the lip, or a few blisters on the gums and roof of the mouth, to the extreme of blisters all over the body, particularly the mouth and genitalia. Dont worry, this isn't the type of Herpes everyone talks about. Rather it is the type almost everyone has but many show no symptoms and are therefor non contagious. It is usually originally passed to children from the mothers birth canal.

Pioli Zombie
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
In my day we didnt have all these namby pamby vaccinations.

We got polio and died and we liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!