PDA

View Full Version : Life My daughter just got a $4000 renewable 4 year scholarship

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
from the school of Engineering.

She is graduating High School one full year early and is carrying a 3.8 GPA (Algebra 2 lowered it)

She went to a competition day where she was assigned a team and they had to solve a problem as a team with pictures, written plans ect...

she got notice of her scholarship today.

Dad and Mom are proud of her!!!

Donger
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Is she by any chance adopted?

Adept Havelock
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Congrats.

joesomebody
01-26-2009, 05:42 PM
That's awesome... I'm currently paying about $5900 a semester... and that is just tuition, and various "fees." No housing, food, transport, or even books are included.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Is she by any chance adopted?

nope my one and only!!!

Beauty and Brains

I couldn't have asked for more :)

Dayze
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
cool; congrats! I wish I had my collective sh*t together during HS. lol

I graduated and thought "Hmmm...now what"? lol.
Oh well.

KCChiefsMan
01-26-2009, 05:44 PM
ya, I'm taking 1 class right now at KU (I'm gonna try to get another degree) and it's $900 for 1 stinking 3 credit hour class. Back in the day it wsa $1,500 for a full 15 hour semester

KCChiefsMan
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
but congrats on your daughter!

Donger
nope my one and only!!!

Beauty and Brains

I couldn't have asked for more :)

That was a joke from a movie, of course. Congratulations. What discipline does she want?

Gracie Dean
That's awesome... I'm currently paying about $5900 a semester... and that is just tuition, and various "fees." No housing, food, transport, or even books are included.

Wow

that is a lot.

Hubby and I got pell grants, but we make way too much for daughter to get those...

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
That was a joke from a movie, of course. Congratulations. What discipline does she want?

after saying she was going to be a doctor all these years, she has decided she wants to build rockets

work for NASA

Donger
01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
after saying she was going to be a doctor all these years, she has decided she wants to build rockets

work for NASA

So, aerospace/aeronautical?

Skip Towne
01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow

that is a lot.

Hubby and I got pell grants, but we make way too much for daughter to get those...

You rich people should leave those scholies for those who need them.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
So, aerospace/aeronautical?

I am pretty sure that is the area of concentration

Donger
01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I am pretty sure that is the area of concentration

Well, I wish her the best. We need more geeks.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, I wish her the best. We need more geeks.

thanks

I was still hoping for a doctor, but rocket builder is good

Dartgod
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Maybe she'll compromise and be a rocket surgeon.

EyePod
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM

She is graduating High School one full year early and is carrying a 3.8 GPA (Algebra 2 lowered it)

She went to a competition day where she was assigned a team and they had to solve a problem as a team with pictures, written plans ect...

Just hope that she gets tons more when applying to the school! What school is this for? Tell her to go Chemical Engineering. They love girls. I have friends who are girls who are in grad school who have school completely paid for, plus they make a 25k stipend a year. Not too shabby as Adam Sandler used to say in the Hanukkah song.

petegz28
01-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Gratz! :clap:

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Just hope that she gets tons more when applying to the school! What school is this for? Tell her to go Chemical Engineering. They love girls. I have friends who are girls who are in grad school who have school completely paid for, plus they make a 25k stipend a year. Not too shabby as Adam Sandler used to say in the Hanukkah song.

wow, I will have to tell her about that

it is a state college

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Have you weighed the pros and cons of skipping out on a senior year in high school? I can think of some good reasons why I wouldn't want to have missed that, though I was certainly in no position to make that choice.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Have you weighed the pros and cons of skipping out on a senior year in high school? I can think of some good reasons why I wouldn't want to have missed that, though I was certainly in no position to make that choice.

technically, she skipped her junior year.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
technically, she skipped her junior year.

Oh, so she has no option of staying? Well, congratulations to her. Science and math seem to be in strong demand. It will be important after choosing a college to seek out their scholarship opportunities quickly. Sounds like she has the resume for them. Four thousand is great, but depending on if she will live on campus, or at home, it will probably only be 1/4 - 1/5 of the money she'll need per year.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Congrats! We need more Engineers!!

phillip
01-26-2009, 06:22 PM

Yeah my sister is in Chemical Engineering grad school. Tuition is covered plus something like $25k to live because she does research.

I got a full-tuition scholarship to law school (a little over $100k for 3 years), but I still have $25k of debt from undergrad and something like $17k a year for books/rent/food/etc. right now during law school.

I feel like I'm incurring tons of debt. I couldn't imagine tuition on top of that.

EyePod
01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Oh, so she has no option of staying? Well, congratulations to her. Science and math seem to be in strong demand. It will be important after choosing a college to seek out their scholarship opportunities quickly. Sounds like she has the resume for them. Four thousand is great, but depending on if she will live on campus, or at home, it will probably only be 1/4 - 1/5 of the money she'll need per year.

I'm pretty sure this is before the application process. This is just an on the side type deal, which will just be added to whatever other scholarships she will (probably) get from whichever school she's attending. And man, if it's a state school, that's freaking awesome. I'm in my 5th year (and it was a real 5 year program, with 3 Co-ops {paid internships}) at Drexel University and it's fucking 35k a year.... IT BLOWS.

Gracie Dean

yea, I know

I am hoping for more scholarships but are prepared to do the loan stuff too

rocks
Congratulations!! That is a big help. I wish her the best of luck.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure this is before the application process. This is just an on the side type deal, which will just be added to whatever other scholarships she will (probably) get from whichever school she's attending. And man, if it's a state school, that's freaking awesome. I'm in my 5th year (and it was a real 5 year program, with 3 Co-ops {paid internships}) at Drexel University and it's ****ing 35k a year.... IT BLOWS.

I have a friend who's at Drexel.

EyePod
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah my sister is in Chemical Engineering grad school. Tuition is covered plus something like $25k to live because she does research.

I got a full-tuition scholarship to law school (a little over $100k for 3 years), but I still have $25k of debt from undergrad and something like $17k a year for books/rent/food/etc. right now during law school.

I feel like I'm incurring tons of debt. I couldn't imagine tuition on top of that.

I'm sure it'll pan out. My girflriend lucked out and has a full ride plus a stipend of 9k for a JD (Law Degree)/ PhD ( in Psychology). She's crazy though. She already had two undergrad degrees from 4 years in school (Criminal Justice and Psychology). But yeah, with some of the summer internships, they could pay ~35 grand (obviously that's a better corporate law firm). That alone could help you out a bunch.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
yea, I know

I am hoping for more scholarships but are prepared to do the loan stuff too

That's how I've funded most of my schooling. I'll be about 25K in debt after graduating, and then going on to more school hopefully, to take on more debt. Hopefully the economy picks up by then. But there's always room for the best (that's me). :rolleyes:

EyePod
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a friend who's at Drexel.

What degree are they going for?

Coach
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Will your daughter plan on working as part-time while going to school? I guess why I'm asking is, that it's never a bad idea to be working part-time and save up that $, and when she's done with school, and if she is being good with her money (Not blowing it all), she can shave off some of her loan payments pretty easy right there.

EyePod
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
That's how I've funded most of my schooling. I'll be about 25K in debt after graduating, and then going on to more school hopefully, to take on more debt. Hopefully the economy picks up by then. But there's always room for the best (that's me). :rolleyes:

That's how I feel. I'm going to graduate this June with a BS/MS in Chemical Engineering. I have a 3.56 GPA, which includes all of my grad courses. I know much more stupid people who have worse GPA's who are already getting jobs, and I'm having trouble. Everyone's blaming the economy, which is causing many engineers (and other people) to stay in their current positions for a few extra years. UGH.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Will your daughter plan on working as part-time while going to school? I guess why I'm asking is, that it's never a bad idea to be working part-time and save up that $, and when she's done with school, and if she is being good with her money (Not blowing it all), she can shave off some of her loan payments pretty easy right there.

yea, she is. She will probably keep her current job. She is crew trainer at the burger joint and makes 7.75 at the age of 17

phillip
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm sure it'll pan out. My girflriend lucked out and has a full ride plus a stipend of 9k for a JD (Law Degree)/ PhD ( in Psychology). She's crazy though. She already had two undergrad degrees from 4 years in school (Criminal Justice and Psychology). But yeah, with some of the summer internships, they could pay ~35 grand (obviously that's a better corporate law firm). That alone could help you out a bunch.

Large law firms in KC pay summer interns $1800-$1900 per week. They last about 10 weeks.

I have a 3.4 gpa in law school and I haven't found any paid summer work. I've heard hiring is way down this year, plus its a lot harder for me to interview coming from out of state.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
What degree are they going for?

I think she's studying finance.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
That's how I feel. I'm going to graduate this June with a BS/MS in Chemical Engineering. I have a 3.56 GPA, which includes all of my grad courses. I know much more stupid people who have worse GPA's who are already getting jobs, and I'm having trouble. Everyone's blaming the economy, which is causing many engineers (and other people) to stay in their current positions for a few extra years. UGH.

That's a strong GPA for a senior in Engineering.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Not to completely hijack the thread, but I'm having a dilemma. I will probably be graduating next May. I can either go to law school or do ACE - Alliance for Catholic Education. I do that for two years, get a Masters from Notre Dame in Education, and teach high school for 40k a year, and pay off my debt from undergrad, and start saving for the future. Or jump right into law school. What to do, what to do?

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Not to completely hijack the thread, but I'm having a dilemma. I will probably be graduating next May. I can either go to law school or do ACE - Alliance for Catholic Education. I do that for two years, get a Masters from Notre Dame in Education, and teach high school for 40k a year, and pay off my debt from undergrad, and start saving for the future. Or jump right into law school. What to do, what to do?

Do you want to teach or practice law?

yeti
01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Well as an attractive female engineering student she should be well sought after. However they say this about engineers: The odds are good, but the goods are odd. Tell her to date outside her major. On a serious note, congratulations that is definitely something to be proud of.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Do you want to teach or practice law?

I view it, in a way, as valuable service, that also benefits me monetarily. The answer though, is an unconfident 'I'd rather practice law than teach high school as a career.'

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Well as an attractive female engineering student she should be well sought after. However they say this about engineers: The odds are good, but the goods are odd. Tell her to date outside her major. On a serious note, congratulations that is definitely something to be proud of.

Hey now! Not all engineers fulfill the stereotype.

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:50 PM

LMAO - and I like your avatar. I remember playing that game when I was about 10 years old.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I view it, in a way, as valuable service, that also benefits me monetarily. The answer though, is an unconfident 'I'd rather practice law than teach high school as a career.'

Then you should probably go straight through to law school. It's tougher to go back later as the older you get the more life can get complicated. Plus, with a law degree you could always go and get a teaching job somewhere. You can't go practice law with a Masters in Education.

yeti
01-26-2009, 06:53 PM

If you have the brains and determination and think you are interested in law then do it. I think it is somewhat pointless to get degrees that don't pay off. A degree is an investment. So seek a good return on your money and more importantly time.

yeti
01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey now! Not all engineers fulfill the stereotype.

My brother is an engineer so I love razzing you guys!

Jenson71
01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Seems like reasonable suggestions. Thanks.

Coach
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
yea, she is. She will probably keep her current job. She is crew trainer at the burger joint and makes 7.75 at the age of 17

If she got a good sum of $ in the savings, might be a good idea to put a CD on it or something, where it can grow. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, alot of kids goes to college unprepaired, and practically zero money in their savings, since they usually spend all that money on various of things.

Me, I was supposed to have my student loans done by 2015 or something like that. Of course, after I was done with college in 03, I was done paying them off in 2008. Sure as hell nice not to worry about that for a long time. The key is, how she manage her fiances.

cdcox
01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Someone else has already mentioned this, but she should definitely check out the school's Co-op program. She would enter as a sophomore and alternate terms in school and terms where she works full time in an aerospace company (probably in another city). They pay close to entry level engineering wages. If she live frugally while on Co-op, she can bank a lot of money so she doesn't have to schlep burgers during the school term.

Also, many scholarships become available after she has completed a couple semesters with good grades.

The key is for her to get good grades early. All kinds of opportunities will open for her. You mentioned that Algebra II pulled her HS GPA down. She needs to really work hard a the math, because you can't do well in engineering if you can't do the math.

Congratulations and best wishes to your daughter.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Someone else has already mentioned this, but she should definitely check out the school's Co-op program. She would enter as a sophomore and alternate terms in school and terms where she works full time in an aerospace company (probably in another city). They pay close to entry level engineering wages. If she live frugally while on Co-op, she can bank a lot of money so she doesn't have to schlep burgers during the school term.

Also, many scholarships become available after she has completed a couple semesters with good grades.

The key is for her to get good grades early. All kinds of opportunities will open for her. You mentioned that Algebra II pulled her HS GPA down. She needs to really work hard a the math, because you can't do well in engineering if you can't do the math.

Congratulations and best wishes to your daughter.

thank you

I am not sure why Alg II fugged with her, she was labeled Gifted because of math....I think she had an off year and didn't put much effort into it. She knows she will have to work harder and that math is central to her degree

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
thank you

I am not sure why Alg II fugged with her, she was labeled Gifted because of math....I think she had an off year and didn't put much effort into it. She knows she will have to work harder and that math is central to her degree

And she'll see plenty more of it.. Calculus I, II, III, Differential Equations, Statistics, etc.

Donger
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
thank you

Whoa. Didn't see that. If she can't/won't handle Algebra II, she's going to have serious issues later. That's what derailed my engineering career (thank God).

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Whoa. Didn't see that. If she can't/won't handle Algebra II, she's going to have serious issues later. That's what derailed my engineering career (thank God).

why thank god?

she can handle it...she just choose not to I think...heck she got a B

I think she was going through a little rebellion and chose to sabatoge her 4.0 cause she was pissed off at mom and dad

DJ's left nut
01-26-2009, 07:38 PM

The 'nontraditional' students at law school came into it more prepared.

If you're committed to going to law school later, do the ACE thing first. The additional maturity/experience will be invaluable when you start law school.

Donger
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
why thank god?

she can handle it...she just choose not to I think...heck she got a B

I think she was going through a little rebellion and chose to sabatoge her 4.0 cause she was pissed off at mom and dad

I didn't really want to be an engineer, but family legacy pushed me in that direction. I probably would have ended up engineering stuff to intentionally hurt people.

Good to hear on the other stuff. I hope she keeps it together.

Coach
01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
And she'll see plenty more of it.. Calculus I, II, III, Differential Equations, Statistics, etc.

I took Statistics when I was in college. That rocked.

cdcox
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
The 'nontraditional' students at law school came into it more prepared.

If you're committed to going to law school later, do the ACE thing first. The additional maturity/experience will be invaluable when you start law school.

Geez, I don't know if I could even handle Jenson if he got any more mature than he already is.

DaKCMan AP
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM
I took Statistics when I was in college. That rocked.

Yes, stats is an easy course.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
I didn't really want to be an engineer, but family legacy pushed me in that direction. I probably would have ended up engineering stuff to intentionally hurt people.

Good to hear on the other stuff. I hope she keeps it together.

so what did you end up doing?

Donger
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
so what did you end up doing?

Technical sales.

Gracie Dean
01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Technical sales.

are you happy?

That is the most important thing!

Donger
01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
are you happy?

That is the most important thing!

Yes, I don't regret the choice I made.

joesomebody
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I took Statistics when I was in college. That rocked.I much preferred calculus to statistics... Statistics is the devil.

phillip
01-26-2009, 08:38 PM

I REALLY love law school. To me, law school is as much better than college as college is better than high school. There are no lectures, its all discussion. There are no homework assignments that have to be turned in, and there are no midterm exams. Just do the reading and discuss it in class. The final is your entire grade.

However, I have a friend who dropped out of law school after one semester because he hated it. I don't know if its a difference in school quality or just personality.

If I were you, I'd take the LSAT now. See how you do and go from there. I think if you FOR SURE know you're going to law school, you should just go straight through. If you have some doubts, there's nothing wrong with trying another path for awhile.