PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Bob Gretz It's About the Right People, Not Systems

Tribal Warfare
01-26-2009, 09:36 PM
It's About the Right People, Not Systems (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/01/26/its_about_the_right_people_not_systems/)
Jan 26, 2009, 8:36:31 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

As the NFL converges on Tampa this week for the Super Bowl, there will be a lot of attention given to the Pittsburgh connections that the Arizona Cardinals will carry into the game.

The story line is that head coach Ken Whisenhunt and his No. 1 assistant Russ Grimm brought the Steelers way to the birds when they left the steel city and headed for the desert two years ago. The Steelers Way turned the tide with the Cardinals.

It’s similar to the plot line surrounding Scott Pioli and his arrival from New England to become the Chiefs new general manager. He’s bringing the Patriots Way to the heartland of America.

Steelers Way. Patriots Way. It’s really not hard to figure out what those ways are all about.

It’s about winning.

That’s what everybody wants to copy. They want to win. But neither the Steelers nor the Patriots have some sort of magic formula that creates winning and championship football teams. There’s nothing in the waters of the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers that produces Super Bowls. Same with Boston Harbor.

The magic in any business, and the National Football League is no different, are the people in charge. Sure, systems are important, approaches are needed, plans have to be carefully thought through and carried out.

But it’s the people involved that matter. Get the right folks together, and magic is possible. It’s happened with the Chiefs in the past. Yes, there has been a Chiefs Way. Twice in fact. It was the combination of Lamar Hunt, Hank Stram, Don Klosterman and Lloyd Wells that put together the championship teams of the 1960s. It was the combination of Carl Peterson and Marty Schottenheimer that revived the franchise in the 1990s.

There are different ways and approaches to creating victories in pro football. There is no single right way. It’s about the people, not the plan.

That’s what makes this time so very important for Pioli. He’s about to hire his partner in the process of pushing the Chiefs back to contender status. Winning teams all do one thing: they find winning football players and then put them into situations where they can succeed.

Pioli can’t do all of that. He might be able to identify and acquire winning players. But it’s the head coach and his staff that will put them in the best possible situations for success.

Knowing something about Pioli’s time with the Patriots tells us that he’s already identified the man he wants to work with. For whatever reasons, the time has not been right for that move to be announced or finalized.

Making that identification and hiring the right man for this situation will be the most important decision that Pioli makes in his new job.

It’s important that Pioli finds his partner to create a new Chiefs Way.
214 votes

CoMoChief
01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I dunno about Gretz but I have a damn good formula on how to win in the NFL.

1. Draft well
2. Don't ignore one side of the ball. Keep your team balanced
3. Draft kids that fit what you want to do and have coaches that can actually coach those kids up to their potential - Be all on the same page on what you wanna do.

Those 3 things alone will bring you consistency and wins.

Deberg_1990
01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Why does every column Gretz writes he feels the need to keep pimping Carl Peterson??

Hes gone, get over it.

blueballs
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey
maybe they got a hold of Shanny to find someone
to cut block Gretz before the DT HOF presentation

BigChiefFan
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey
maybe they got a hold of Shanny to find someone
to cut block Gretz before the DT HOF presentationMaybe Schefter and Shanahan are a package deal.:D

Reerun_KC
01-26-2009, 11:01 PM
How is Gretz still relivant and why do you guys keep posting his worthless Crap?

99% of this board has forgotten more about Football then he EVER KNEW!....

Please, he is worthless as Peterson and Edwards... Just let him go!

BigChiefFan
01-26-2009, 11:11 PM
How is Gretz still relivant and why do you guys keep posting his worthless Crap?

99% of this board has forgotten more about Football then he EVER KNEW!....

Please, he is worthless as Peterson and Edwards... Just let him go!
Kick ass-a new dead horse for you to beat.:D

cdcox
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
By putting DT in the Falcon, Gunther proved that there was no player too great to be castrated by a coach that was incompetent enough.

You need to have the right players in the right system.

bowener
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Why does every column Gretz writes he feels the need to keep pimping Carl Peterson??

Hes gone, get over it.

Its all he knows! Its going to take time for us to cleanse ourselves of him too... just think of Arrowhead as one big colon.... we cleaned all of the shit out, now we just have to wait until we feel good again.

Reerun_KC
01-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Kick ass-a new dead horse for you to beat.:D

Nah, sorry. Gretz is about as relivant to the Chiefs and its fanbase as the morning pipe I flushed this am...

My horse beating days are over... Time to sit back and enjoy becoming a NFL franchise....

mikey23545
01-27-2009, 03:50 AM

<b>Hes gone, get over it.</b>

Peterson's name appears one time in the whole article, and that's "pimping" him?

Maybe you need to take your own advice.

Guru
01-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Hey Gretz, there is no such thing as "The Chiefs Way" because we never won a championship with it. Now, if you want to use "The Chiefs Way" as a blueprint on how NOT to do something then run with it.

the Talking Can
01-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Hey Gretz, there is no such thing as "The Chiefs Way" because we never won a championship with it. Now, if you want to use "The Chiefs Way" as a blueprint on how NOT to do something then run with it.

no shit....what a joke

milkman
01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
By putting DT in the Falcon, Gunther proved that there was no player too great to be castrated by a coach that was incompetent enough.

You need to have the right players in the right system.

I was beginning to think I was the only person that saw what a sorry ass idea the Falcon was.

I've said it many times.

Nobody did a better job of containing DT that Cunther.

JASONSAUTO
01-28-2009, 08:09 AM

really? the chiefs never won a championship?

Darth CarlSatan
01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
610 Pimping Gruden. Get on your phone or computer, and administer the punishment.

Do it now.

milkman
01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
610 Pimping Gruden. Get on your phone or computer, and administer the punishment.

Do it now.

I just can't envision Scott Pioli hiring Jon Gruden.

Hell, they'd probably butt heads in the interview.

Frosty
01-28-2009, 09:49 AM
I was beginning to think I was the only person that saw what a sorry ass idea the Falcon was.

I've said it many times.

Nobody did a better job of containing DT that ****her.

Nope, you aren't the only one. This is the main reason that I have never liked Gunther. The constant dicking around with DT really cost him, IMO (Adolph started it). DT would already be in the Hall of Fame if it hadn't been for those two assclowns. :mad:

Darth CarlSatan
01-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I just can't envision Scott Pioli hiring Jon Gruden.

Hell, they'd probably butt heads in the interview.

Oh it's a full-on TF Fest over there:

Cassel! He could be your franchise quarterback!

Gruden! Gruden's not unstable, it's just his whiny players and owners who have made him the King of Musical Chairs Coaching in the NFL!

DIE DIE DIE!!!!:cuss:

Fat Elvis
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Peterson's name appears one time in the whole article, and that's "pimping" him?

Maybe you need to take your own advice.

It is pimping him when there is an implied comparison of Peterson's accomplishments and what the Stoolers and Pats franchises have been able to accomplish....

warrior
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Its all he knows! Its going to take time for us to cleanse ourselves of him too... just think of Arrowhead as one big colon.... we cleaned all of the shit out, now we just have to wait until we feel good again.

Hey I like (This) ROFL

shaneo69
01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
How about Gretz' most recent article from his website...

Wednesday Morning Cup O’Super Bowl
January 28, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From Tampa, Florida

Our boots are on the ground in Tampa for Super Bowl LXIII. We’ll provide a view of the week from right up and through Sunday’s game between my the Steelers and the Cardinals.

Oh my, Tampa in late January. Forget the game; it will be nice to walk around without a coat.

There are a lot of memories in Tampa-St. Pete. I was here for Super Bowl XXV when the Giants beat the Bills on Scott Norwood’s wide right kick. That was during the first Gulf War and I remember the helicopter gunships hovering around the stadium and the emotion that flowed through the old Tampa Stadium as Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem.

The day before that game, Chiefs kicker Jan Stenerud found out that he had been voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I was not part of the voting committee at that time, but I remember tracking Jan down at his hotel for an interview. We got into the elevator to go up to his room and who should get on with us but Jimmy Johnson, then the Dallas Cowboys head coach. It was an over-served Jimmy Johnson. It was an inebriated Jimmy Johnson.

J.J. stumbled onto the elevator looked at Stenerud and yelled “Way to go Jan Baby” like they were long lost friends. Amazingly, his hair was in perfect order. Stenerud later asked as we got off the elevator, “That was Jimmy Johnson wasn’t it?”

Tampa is where Joe Montana played his first game in a Chiefs uniform, same for Marcus Allen. They crushed the Buccaneers that September day in 1993. The Hooters restaurant chain began in nearby Clearwater and one of the original locations is over on Dale Mabry Highway. That location posted a message on their big outdoor signboard when Steve DeBerg finished his career with the Bucs. It read: “Steve, your office is ready.” DeBerg loved that place.

I saw Super Bowl XXXV at Raymond James Stadium when the Baltimore Ravens defense just destroyed the New York Giants and quarterback Kerry Collins, 34-7. It was as good a defensive performance as you could imagine.

It was in Tampa where I saw the Philadelphia Stars win the second USFL Championship, beating the Arizona Wranglers 23-3 in the conclusion of the 1984 season. I remember it as the first time I had a long conversation with a fellow who was then general manager of the Stars. His name was Carl Peterson.

Tampa is Bern’s Steakhouse, one of the greatest restaurants in the country, with a wine list that is as big as a library dictionary. Tampa is Ybor City and cheap, but not bad American cigars. Tampa is the Columbia Restaurant, sort of a Cuban-Spanish menu, where one night during the Final Four in 1999 I sat next to John Thompson and his Georgetown entourage.

Other than the fact that traffic is awful and events and venues are too spread out between Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater and even all the way to Orlando, Tampa is one of the better Super Bowl sites in the rotation. Given that the league won’t go back to San Diego (bad stadium), Los Angeles (no team) or San Francisco (bad stadiums), Tampa is right up there with New Orleans and Miami as the best Super Bowl venues.

CHARGERS GM TRIES TO PUT L.T. BACK IN THE BOTTLE

If you read the local Kansas City scribes you would believe that the only organization that has troubles with its superstars and the team’s GM is the Chiefs. They’d have you believe that former GM Carl Peterson was the only NFL leader who sometimes had problems dealing with agents.

If you’ve been following the mess in San Diego between L.T. and A.J., then you know the media’s view of Peterson and his alleged foibles was more of their “We hate Carl” agenda than reality.