PDA

View Full Version : News 93-Year-Old Froze to Death Inside Home

Chiefaholic
01-27-2009, 04:40 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090126/ap_on_re_us/frozen_indoors

93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Mon Jan 26, 3:32 pm ET Play Video AP WW II Vet freezes to death inside his own home BAY CITY, Mich. A 93-year-old man froze to death inside his home just days after the municipal power company restricted his use of electricity because of unpaid bills, officials said.

Marvin E. Schur died "a slow, painful death," said Kanu Virani, Oakland County's deputy chief medical examiner, who performed the autopsy.

Neighbors discovered Schur's body on Jan. 17. They said the indoor temperature was below 32 degrees at the time, The Bay City Times reported Monday.

"Hypothermia shuts the whole system down, slowly," Virani said. "It's not easy to die from hypothermia without first realizing your fingers and toes feel like they're burning."

Schur owed Bay City Electric Light & Power more than $1,000 in unpaid electric bills, Bay City Manager Robert Belleman told The Associated Press on Monday.

A city utility worker had installed a "limiter" device to restrict the use of electricity at Schur's home on Jan. 13, Belleman said. The device limits power reaching a home and blows out like a fuse if consumption rises past a set level. Power is not restored until the device is reset.

The limiter was tripped sometime between the time of installation and the discovery of Schur's body, Belleman said. He didn't know if anyone had made personal contact with Schur to explain how the device works.

Schur's body was discovered by neighbor George Pauwels Jr.

"His furnace was not running, the insides of his windows were full of ice the morning we found him," Pauwels told the newspaper.

Belleman said city workers keep the limiter on houses for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.

He said Bay City Electric Light & Power's policies will be reviewed, but he didn't believe the city did anything wrong.

"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."

Schur had no children and his wife had died several years ago.

Bay City is on Saginaw Bay, just north of the city of Saginaw in central Michigan.

___

Information from: The Bay City Times, http://www.mlive.com/bay-city

Saggysack
01-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Despicable.

As you know though, we live in a capitalist country where corporate greed values profit over people. Welcome to America. MF'er can't even get a sorry bout that on his way out.

Bob Dole
01-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Despicable.

As you know though, we live in a capitalist country where corporate greed values profit over people. Welcome to America. MF'er can't even get a sorry bout that on his way out.

Have you checked on your neighbors this week? Or is that someone else's job?

Saggysack
01-27-2009, 05:10 AM
Have you checked on your neighbors this week? Or is that someone else's job?
ROFL

too fuggin easy

I pledge...

Saggysack
01-27-2009, 05:12 AM
And who said I have neighbors. I own the fuggin building.

Skip Towne
01-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Nobody has checked on me yet.

PhillyChiefFan
01-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Ok, so why didn't they just wait until March to put the limiter on, so the man wouldn't freeze to death?

plbrdude
01-27-2009, 06:07 AM
why don't we all just quit paying our bills in the winter cause they can't shut us off?

Scorp
01-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Let that be a lesson to everyone here.............pay your heating bill.

Lex Luthor
01-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Let that be a lesson to everyone here.............pay your heating bill.
Marvin E. Schur will certainly never make that mistake again.

jidar
01-27-2009, 07:21 AM
why don't we all just quit paying our bills in the winter cause they can't shut us off?

If you can't figure out something that god damned obvious then I'm not going to give you any hints.

pr_capone
01-27-2009, 07:22 AM

They are leaving you alone to make sure you are good and dead.

What good does it do anyone to find you only half dead? They can bring you back from that ya know.

:p

Brock
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Good thing he had social security and veteran's benefits.

ROYC75
01-27-2009, 08:04 AM
No family, likely no lawsuit.

But that's a cold way to go out !

wazu
01-27-2009, 08:08 AM

If you stop posting for a few days we'll send someone over.

Skip Towne
01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Ha! OK, thanks.

blaise
01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Despicable.

Unlike Commuinist countries where no one ever freezes to death, and they live in a world of sunshine and rainbows.

HemiEd
01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Good thing he had social security and veteran's benefits.

Yeah, this is pathetic. Our big ass government has all these programs and this guy freezes to death.

Saggysack
01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Unlike Commuinist countries where no one ever freezes to death, and they live in a world of sunshine and rainbows.

Another one!

ROFL

blaise
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
By the way, from the way that story reads the power company is run by the city, and not a private company. So maybe it's actually not a case of capitalist corporate greed, but government incompetence that didn't give the MFer a "sorry bout that" on his way out.

Bob Dole
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah, this is pathetic. Our big ass government has all these programs and this guy freezes to death.

You know what would make sense? Just move all the old people in cold places to Olathe.

Mr. Plow
01-27-2009, 08:29 AM
I know where I live, if the outside temp is below a certain degree, regardless of what I owe they can't shut me off until the temp rises.

On a side note, the company won't be getting their $1000 now.

blaise
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I know where I live, if the outside temp is below a certain degree, regardless of what I owe they can't shut me off until the temp rises.

That's how I thought most places did it. I'm surprised they don't have more cases like this if they're shutting off people's power in the middle of winter. I wouldn't be surprised if they get sued for negligence.

Bob Dole
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM

They didn't shut it off. They limited it and he blew the limiter.

Mr. Plow
01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
They didn't shut it off. They limited it and he blew the limiter.

True - but they set it so that once he exceed the "limit", it shut him off. They put it on 1/13, he was dead by 1/17. So, in less than 4 days, he exceeded their limit and died. I'm sure dying of hypothermia isn't a quick process, so after they put it on, he was probably dead within 1-2 days. Which doesn't surprise me considering the cold that went through Michigan that week. Plus, if he hadn't paid in 10 days, they would have just shut him off, per the article.

HemiEd
01-27-2009, 08:43 AM
You know what would make sense? Just move all the old people in cold places to Olathe.

Is there a lot of hot air down there in Olathe? I thought most of them lived in Florida and Arizona already

All kidding aside, I don't pay much attention the news on this subject, but I think Illinois has some kind of law not allowing such a thing to happen.

I think there are a lot of hoops the power company has to jump through, this time of year, to shut someone off. But I could be mistaken.

Jenson71
01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Could have used a Snuggie.

Demonpenz
01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't think elderly people have the metal capicity, the physical capibility, or flat out don't want a hand out, I know several old people in st joseph that have benifits coming their way they earned through the government, years of a spouse working, etc they just don't fill out the forms. I know my grandma had a a stroke and we went through the papers and found out she could have been earning a thousand more a month from my dead grandpa's old work. I am sure there was a way he could have gotten money that he had no doubt earned, there just wasn't anyone there for him to fill out the forms or take care of his bills.

Mr. Plow
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Could have used a Snuggie.

Thank you for that. I ordered 2 of those 2 weeks before Xmas and they STILL haven't even been shipped. I keep forgetting to cancel them, but I'm going to do it now.

Demonpenz
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
heh I like the banner up top for this thread "Frozen dinners anytime!"

Bob Dole
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Is there a lot of hot air down there in Olathe? I thought most of them lived in Florida and Arizona already

All kidding aside, I don't pay much attention the news on this subject, but I think Illinois has some kind of law not allowing such a thing to happen.

I think there are a lot of hoops the power company has to jump through, this time of year, to shut someone off. But I could be mistaken.

We learned awhile back that it's always sunny and 72 in Olathe.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 09:12 AM
heh I like the banner up top for this thread "Frozen dinners anytime!"

LMAO

gblowfish
01-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Maybe. Did Marvin have any gold in his teeth?

Groves
01-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I wonder what the general responses would be if the man had starved to death instead? I agree that our gov't has big problems, but I'm always trying to figure out who's worse, the gov't or the people?

Demonpenz
01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybe. Did Marvin have any gold in his teeth?

these banners are on it today

Rain Man
01-27-2009, 09:51 AM

If you want to live forever, start having your social security checks sent to me.

plbrdude
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
If you can't figure out something that god damned obvious then I'm not going to give you any hints.

glad to see your sarcasm meter is inoperable today.

unothadeal
01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
So young :shake:

Braincase
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM

We tried to Skip, but some Mizzou alumni have built a barricade 'round your estate. I think they cut the lines, too.

Duck Dog
01-27-2009, 12:03 PM

Holy shit. ROFL

manchambo
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Obviously a sad story.

But I want to point out the real cause of this death: the man apparently was unable to care for himself, and I don't think you can blame that on the power company. I guarantee that you will not find me freezing to death in my home if the power goes out (and by the way the same thing presumably would have happened to this poor guy if the power lines froze and knocked the power out for a couple of days).

This man should have had some type of care to protect him from all the things that could have happened to him alone in that house (such as falling in the shower and suffering some type of slow death). That he was not is likely attributable to his lack of family, but the story to me points more to a lack in monitoring and care of elderly folks than to any real problem with the electric company.

HemiEd
01-27-2009, 12:05 PM
We learned awhile back that it's always sunny and 72 in Olathe.

I must have missed that, glad to get caught up.

Saulbadguy
01-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Really makes you think, doesn't it?

bowener
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Read this from another source. This is a sad day in age.

What makes it worse is this:

When Schur's body was discovered, his unpaid power bills sat on a kitchen table inside the house.
Clipped to the bills was cash that he was going to use to pay them.

He died for nothing at all. All it would have taken was a rep of the electric company actually knocking on the front door.

Link (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/METRO/901270386/1409/METRO)

googlegoogle
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.webfun.org/images/110.jpg

Mr. Plow
01-27-2009, 01:42 PM

He died for nothing at all. All it would have taken was a rep of the electric company actually knocking on the front door.

Link (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/METRO/901270386/1409/METRO)

That is horrible.

Ebolapox
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Marvin E. Schur will certainly never make that mistake again.

he schur won't

:shake:

sorry... couldn't resist.

that's sad though.

Ebolapox
01-27-2009, 01:55 PM

:shake:

Bob Dole
01-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Or, as mentioned, one of his "concerned" neighbors not to expect the government/utility to take care of their fellow human being.