PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb – Trade 3rd for Cassel

Wilson8
01-27-2009, 07:10 AM
This topic will fire people up...
Billboards, dollar bills, long shots and every reason the Chiefs need to trade for Matt Cassel
So it's debate-thirty here at Red Zone, and while we're solving the Chiefs' problems at head coach, here's another doozy that needs to be discussed sooner rather than later.
The Chiefs have three months to decide what they'll do with their No. 3 overall pick, and I'm here to tell you the best thing to do is trade that thing for your quarterback of the future: Matt Cassel.
What's that draft pick doing but burning a hole in your pocket and trying like hell to convince you to spend it on Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez or some guy who plays defense and can't even throw a football. The fact is, Stafford probably won't be available at 3, and Sanchez has some work to do before I'm convinced he's a sure thing.
But before we go any further, let's address something I know is on your mind: the pass rusher/linebacker debate. As my pal Adam Teicher wrote last week, there just aren't that many elite pass rushers who, as of now, should command a selection at No. 3. That might well be the Chiefs' biggest need, but a far worse mistake than drafting to fill a lower-priority need is reaching for your biggest need. And hey, Aaron Curry is dynamite, but linebacker is a position the Chiefs can strengthen through free agency.
So let's assume that the Chiefs want to upgrade at quarterback, which is a foregone conclusion even if Scott Pioli and the new coach like Tyler Thigpen as much as Herm Edwards did. Instead of watching Stafford hold up a Detroit jersey and then react by reaching for Sanchez, the Chiefs should start considering trading that No. 3 pick for Cassel.
Pioli knows him well and knows Cassel can play. He stepped in last season for one of the best passers of this generation and was only a few clicks below Tom Brady -- and that might have been because Cassel was starting his first games since high school. Not even kidding, either. Even still, he passed for 3,693 yards and threw 21 touchdowns to 11 interceptions. The kid has room to grow, and at age 26, he's a year or two away from hitting his prime -- which would jive with the time the rest of the young Chiefs might start playing their best football.
OK, so there will be some of you out there who want to hold onto that draft pick. There are some who think the draft is more exciting than the season, and the thought of electrocuting all that suspense might be too much. "What if Stafford/Sanchez/Josh Freeman is the next Dan Marino?" you might scream with fear in your voice. "Hey," you'll remind me, "remember Matt Ryan?"
Well, picture this: In the last 10 years, there have been 13 quarterbacks taken among the draft's top five. The good: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Ryan and Donovan McNabb. The bad (or uncertain): JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Alex Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Tim Couch and Akili Smith. Of those 13 top-five quarterbacks, eight haven't worked out or need miracles to either get their careers back in order or live up to their draft picks. That's a 62 percent failure rate. You like those odds for your hometown Chiefs?
Ask any general manager or coach, and if they're being honest they'll tell you the same thing: Drafting a quarterback is the biggest gamble in the game. All the scouting, film review, interviews and combine numbers mean nothing until the quarterback takes an NFL snap. And too many of those can't-miss prospects are in over their heads before their first game check clears.
Stafford and Sanchez might be terrific quarterbacks. But the Chiefs need a sure thing, and Cassel has shown he's as close to a sure thing as likely will be available.
So here's the plan: The Chiefs trade that No. 3 pick to New England for Cassel, whom the Chiefs then sign to a long-term contract that likely would cost them less than a deal with a quarterback they'd draft at No. 3.
Then on draft day, with the No. 35 overall pick, grab a defensive end or linebacker -- whichever position you didn't upgrade in free agency -- and start strengthening the defense with a young star.
In the meantime, you'd have a fifth-year quarterback with starting experience on your team, his face plastered alongside the new coach's mug on billboards downtown and along Interstates 35, 29 and 70. "The faces of the future" or some line that'll get you fired up in the mroning while you gnaw on a bagel, and below the faces and the slogan will be the Chiefs' season-ticket hotline.
The point is, Cassel is a lot closer to a sure thing than the Chiefs will get in the draft. If they draft a quarterback, the Chiefs would have to wait for him to develop -- because Ryan doesn't come along every year, sports fans. Cassel has developed and can be plugged into the starting lineup for the next five to seven years. Immediately.
Sure, maybe the Chiefs can draft a better passer at No. 3. But will they draft the right quarterback? Will he arrive in training camp on time? Will he respond to coaching?
The way things are going around here, is it really worth the risk?

Submitted by Kent Babb on January 26, 2009 - 7:24am.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/647

KCFalcon59
01-27-2009, 07:10 AM
No

Pneuma
01-27-2009, 07:23 AM
God no

pr_capone
01-27-2009, 07:24 AM
NO

Lex Luthor
01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Hell no

JOhn
01-27-2009, 07:26 AM
How about they keep Cassel & give us the coach instead. I would rather have him instead of Cassel.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
This guy is better than I probably give him credit for. However, I do not think he is worth the 3rd overall pick.

I would be fine with trading down and offering up a late first round pick for him. I probably still wouldn't prefer that, but I would be okay with it.

There have been many a QB that was able to be successful for part of a season in the NFL. Cassel could just as easily be a huge flop.

ChiefGator
01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
I thought this meant trade our 3rd rounder for Cassel. Do that in a heartbeat.

I would trade our 2nd rounder for Cassel, or at least think about it. Not the first, and certainly not the 3rd overall.

the Talking Can
01-27-2009, 07:35 AM
"oh noes!!...drafting QB riskee!!!...KC fans arfraid!!"

Wilson8
01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I think there is some merit to looking at Cassel for QB but there are a lot of “IFS” to it.
1. IF Scott Pioli actually believes that Matt Cassel is a very good QB.
2. IF New England is willing to negotiate on the price of Cassel. He is not worth the 3rd overall pick.
3. IF Scott Pioli and scouts do not think that Stafford or Sanchez should be the Chiefs QB.
4. IF Scott Pioli and coaches do not think Tyler Thigpen is the QB for next year.
5. IF they can negotiate a more cap friendly contract with Matt Cassel than with a 1st round QB.
6. IF there are no other QBs in this year’s draft that the Chiefs think could start within a couple of years.
I’m saying all of these things need to be true for the Chiefs to consider this move. Cassel has to be very good. New England does not want to use 14MM of their cap for Cassel so they negotiate down to a player and a later round draft pick. Even if we draft a rookie QB we have to consider that Tyler may need to QB next year. Money and cap space always enters into an NFL business decision. Bottom line KC needs a very good starting QB when the offseason is done.

IF the Chiefs already had a good starting QB, it gives them a lot more options with the 2009 draft.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 07:38 AM

I would trade our 2nd rounder for Cassel, or at least think about it. Not the first, and certainly not the 3rd overall.

I thought he meant 3rd ROUND pick as well, and I still thought it was a stupid idea.

Then when I realized he meant the 3rd OVERALL pick...

I wonder what Kent Babb's CP handle is, he'd fit right in here.

Warrior5

My thoughts also, but NE would be stupid to franchise Cassel simply to trade him for a 3rd round pick. NE ain't stupid.

KC trade its 3rd pick in round 1 for Cassel? Hell no. Pioli ain't stupid.

DMAC
I'd love to bring in Matt Cassel.........FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!

philfree
01-27-2009, 07:48 AM

Our 2nd is almost a 1st. Cassel for the 34th pick in the draft and we take the best player at #3. If Pioli wants to build an offense he could draft an OT and have two kick ass OTs blocking for a running game and protecting Cassel. If we were gonna do that though we should try and trade down to make up for the pick we give for Cassel. Maybe trade to a spot it would make sense to draft Duke Robinson.

PhilFree:arrow:

KCChiefsFan88
01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I like Cassel, but he's not worth the 3rd overall pick in the draft for.

KC-TBB
01-27-2009, 07:53 AM
I think New England line and receivers could even make Huard look good...Cassel good but not sure he is that much better than Thigpen.

warrior
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Lunacy :eek:

Valiant
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I thought he meant 3rd ROUND pick as well, and I still thought it was a stupid idea.

Then when I realized he meant the 3rd OVERALL pick...

I wonder what Kent Babb's CP handle is, he'd fit right in here.

Sensiblechiefsfan??

King_Chief_Fan
01-27-2009, 08:10 AM
trade 3rd round for Cassel yes.
Trade for 3rd overall, NO

R&GHomer
01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
The 3rd overall pick? You must be out your rabid azz mind. No way, no how, he's not worth that. Maybe trade down in the first for another second and trade him for the lower of the two or maybe a third rounder.

CaliforniaChief
01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
I posted this in a previous thread, but I think Cassel would be a much better investment than we might think. But I would not trade the #3 straight up to get him.

If we can move down to #10 and give SF the chance to jump in front of Seattle, we could acquire a mid-round pick this year and NEXT year's first. Then we could parlay that 1st round pick from NEXT year and send that to the Pats for Cassel. We then get a playmaker like Everette Brown/Rey Maulauga at #10, a young proven QB who knows how to perform under pressure with high results, and still add another mid-round pick this year and keep one first rounder next year.

But if we can't move down, I wouldn't do it.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I'd like to see a convincing argument as to why we should trade even a 3rd ROUND pick for Cassel.

The guy has ONE year of experience, running what was the most potent offense in the league the season prior.

Why use a draft pick on a guy that has that little experience and is going to be 27 years old this summer - when you could use a pick to take a QB who's 20-22 years old and mold him yourself?

I'm all ears.

Kerberos
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
No

This

God no

AND This

Chiefnj2
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I'd like to see a convincing argument as to why we should trade even a 3rd ROUND pick for Cassel.

The guy has ONE year of experience, running what was the most potent offense in the league the season prior.

Why use a draft pick on a guy that has that little experience and is going to be 27 years old this summer - when you could use a pick to take a QB who's 20-22 years old and mold him yourself?

I'm all ears.

The 20-22 year old with only one year of starting experience will likely not start this year. There is also a very high chance he will bust. A third round pick on a QB that will use a similar system as the QBOTF for a year or so might not be a bad idea. The entire team can begin rebuilding in a familiar system and if the QBOTF doesn't develop you aren't left out in the cold.

patteeu
01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
trade 3rd round for Cassel yes.
Trade for 3rd overall, NO

If Pioli likes Cassel, I agree. I can't imagine Pioli liking Cassel enough to make him worth giving up the 3rd overall pick for him. Even if New England gave us back their 1st (24th overall) along with Cassel, it's questionable, IMO.

DaKCMan AP
01-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Crazy

patteeu
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM

I'm all ears.

The only argument I can give you is that if you trust Scott Pioli's judgment on personnel issues, he's had a full season of watching the guy play under his nose so he can't be more familiar with a prospect than he is with Cassel. I'll be skeptical if he gives up the 3rd overall for Cassel, but I'll assume he knows what he's doing if he gives up a 3rd rounder. Afterall, the Patriots are expected to put the franchise tag on the guy so you've got to assume that someone in that organization thinks he's worthy of at least a 3rd round pick.

EyePod
01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
HAHAHA. I thought they were talking about trading A 3rd round pick!!! I couldn't believe everyone wasn't jumping all over this. Then I realized that he meant the motherfucking 3rd overall pick. Look, we've had bad enough luck with Patriot backups. Fuck that shit.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
The only argument I can give you is that if you trust Scott Pioli's judgment on personnel issues, he's had a full season of watching the guy play under his nose so he can't be more familiar with a prospect than he is with Cassel. I'll be skeptical if he gives up the 3rd overall for Cassel, but I'll assume he knows what he's doing if he gives up a 3rd rounder. Afterall, the Patriots are expected to put the franchise tag on the guy so you've got to assume that someone in that organization thinks he's worthy of at least a 3rd round pick.

They are putting the franchise tag on him because of Brady's injury, and the possibility he won't be ready in September - not his talent.

However, I will agree with your point on Pioli, and it's really the only decent argument that can be given, IMO.

In Pioli we trust.

I just think it's funny that people around here wouldn't have touched Derek Anderson with a 10 foot pole this time last year, but are gung-ho about trading for Cassel.

Ebolapox
01-27-2009, 08:57 AM
fuck you, kent babb.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Presennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt
NUT-HOOKS!

Fuckin' Babb:whackit: :cuss:

Frankie
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I thought he meant our 3rd rounder. I would have been conflicted with THAT. But THE THIRD PICK OF THE DRAFT?!!! :shake:

chiefs1111
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
No

FringeNC
01-27-2009, 09:18 AM
I take it the board would turn on Pioli on a dime if he did that.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I take it the board would turn on Pioli on a dime if he did that.

They are starting to already for not hiring a HC yet...

InChiefsHell
01-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I would definitely trade a 2nd for Cassel, and if they insisted maybe a conditional future pick as well. IMO, he'd eliminate the need to draft a QB period. He's developed well with the Patriots and is the kind of guy you want to have.

...but I would be leery of using the 3rd overall on him.

Balto
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
If Pioli did this I would start the "Pioli Haters Club" Myself!!!!

Cassel is worse then Thigpen and thigpen is not even that great in my book.

I would not even give a 7th rounder for Cassel. I would rather take a chance on a draft QB then even think about Cassel.

I mean look: How is Cassel "Close to being liek Brady"

Tom "F'n" Brady was UNDEFEATED last year and Fuking Cassel could NOT even get the pats to the F'n Playoffs???????????

You put Thigpen or heck even Croyle in that Pats system and they probably make the playoffs still. Cassel is trash and not worth ANYTHING unless we can sign him to the league min and give up no draft picks then I say HELLL NO.

Mr. Laz
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
i'm fine trading A 3rd for Cassel but not THE 3rd

Balto
01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I might think about giving our 3rd overall to the pats for Cassel AND Bill Belichick LOL.

Hmmmm Bill Belichick for the 3rd overall pick Hmmmmm

bsp4444
01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
What about the third overall pick for Matt Cassel and New England's second round?

patteeu
01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
What about the third overall pick for Matt Cassel and New England's second round?

No! Make it their first round pick and I'll leave off the exclamation point.

Dayze
01-27-2009, 09:58 AM
who are these 'writers' and why do they have jobs. They're obviously severely retarded.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Their 1st.

HemiEd
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
This was being thrown around a lot, especially over at Patriots Planet.

I think a compromise is a good idea. The Chiefs trade 1st round picks with the Patriots, and get Cassel. Or better yet, trade LJ straight up for Cassel.

Chiefnj2
01-27-2009, 10:04 AM
They are putting the franchise tag on him because of Brady's injury, and the possibility he won't be ready in September - not his talent.

If they thought they could find a similar talent elsewhere for less money they wouldn't tag him. His talent obviously has something to do with it.

JakeT
01-27-2009, 10:24 AM

Yes - Spot on

Anyone who wants to see us trade for Cassel has forgotten how great STEVE BONO looked when he played for the niners. Let's build our system first starting with the O-LINE and D-LINE

Frankie
01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Or better yet, trade LJ straight up for Cassel.

That would be a dream trade for me. But, alas, it won't happen. :(

MahiMike
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh wait, I did.

Totally the smartest move and the one that Pioli will make, IMO.

MahiMike
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I like Cassel, but he's not worth the 3rd overall pick in the draft for.

Why the hell not? Why buy a new car that may be a lemon with a high price when you can get one broken in, cheaper, and more dependable?

DeezNutz
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
The 3rd overall pick, huh?

Memo: Pioli no longer works for the Patriots. His first priority is no longer to help their organization.

suds79
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
lol. When I read it I assumed it meant 3rd rounder.

When I realized he was talking about the 3rd overall pick, I just had to stop reading.

It's lunacy and I didn't want to waste any more time on it.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
This would be dumb as shit.

Coach
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Me thinks that NE will franchise him, which makes it moot anyways.

Lex Luthor
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Or better yet, trade LJ straight up for Cassel.
That's the best idea I've heard in a long time.

SNR
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Someone tell me what Cassel's strength is? Arm strength? Accuracy? Game smarts? What is it?

I see a pretty decent QB that was put on an amazing fucking team. I just don't see the kind of QB that makes the team AROUND him better.

If we want that kind of QB, we may as well make Croyle half-machine so he doesn't get injured, and then put him out there

DeezNutz
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Someone tell me what Cassel's strength is? Arm strength? Accuracy? Game smarts? What is it?

I see a pretty decent QB that was put on an amazing ****ing team. I just don't see the kind of QB that makes the team AROUND him better.

If we want that kind of QB, we may as well make Croyle half-machine so he doesn't get injured, and then put him out there

He'd be 50 percent broken, then.

You have to raise your expectations.

Bowser
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
We should trade Kent Babb for a comped night out in the Power and Light for the entirelity of ChiefsPlanet.

dallaschiefsfan
01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Nothing like this should even be considered until you have a freakin' coach. Whatever helps the coach achieve his goals, Pioli will probably try to make happen. I can't imagine Pioli hiring a guy that he lacks confidence in regarding his QB wish list.

chiefscafan
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I personally trade down to 6 or 9 whoever wants crabtree then I trade that pick trade to Philadelphia for both picks and 3rd. So we receive two seconds or so 5ths and 4ths. Then with one of the firsts trade to Cassel. Keep one first and get a LB, OT, DE, OG.

With seconds and thirds we build or O line.

Maybe you think I'm nuts but I think It would work ok opinions?

EyePod
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Their 1st.

I agree. Although it won't happen. I say that Pioli tries to cut all ties with NE and stays away from Cassel.

penguinz
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I personally trade down to 6 or 9 whoever wants crabtree then I trade that pick trade to Philadelphia for both picks and 3rd. So we receive two seconds or so 5ths and 4ths. Then with one of the firsts trade to Cassel. Keep one first and get a LB, OT, DE, OG.

With seconds and thirds we build or O line.

Maybe you think I'm nuts but I think It would work ok opinions?No one will trade to 3 to pick Crabtree.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
We should trade Kent Babb for a comped night out in the Power and Light for the entirelity of ChiefsPlanet.

Montalbon!

Nothing like this should even be considered until you have a freakin' coach. Whatever helps the coach achieve his goals, Pioli will probably try to make happen. I can't imagine Pioli hiring a guy that he lacks confidence in regarding his QB wish list.

Yes! That's the point! This point right here! :thumb:

DaWolf
01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I just wanted to hop aboard the Babb is dumb bandwagon...

patteeu
01-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Me thinks that NE will franchise him, which makes it moot anyways.

That would actually be a precursor to any trade, I think. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if they don't franchise him, he's a free agent and if they sign him, he's probably untradeable.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
That would actually be a precursor to any trade, I think. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if they don't franchise him, he's a free agent and if they sign him, he's probably untradeable.

Correct.

Micjones
01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd trade my Third Round pick for Cassel, but not the #3 selection.

Wilson8
01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Below is an interesting read from a Nov 28, New England Patriots Examiner story about Matt Cassel. The QB franchise tag is actually closer to 14MM, so if New England has 20MM of cap space, that means not much cap space for them. Unless Brady really is damaged goods, the Patriots will probably only keep Cassel around long enough to get the most they can get for him. Nobody outside the Patriots organization should understand what New England needs to do better than Scott Pioli. I go back to my earlier post though about there has to be several things that are true before the Chiefs should go this route. Matt Cassel should be at least looked at and see if he meets the Chiefs needs. Nothing against Sanchez or Stafford, picking up Cassel for a player and maybe a 3rd or 4th round draft pick could help the Chiefs in the 2009 draft.

Is the tag in Cassel's future?
It’s the question every Patriots fan is asking right now. Walk into a bar, start talking about the Patriots, and the discussion will inevitably turn to this.

What are the Patriots going to do with Matt Cassel after this season?

When this season ends, Cassel will become an unrestricted free agent. Three months ago, nobody in New England cared. Two months ago, everyone in New England wanted Matt Cassel cut. A month ago, everyone wanted Matt Cassel benched.

Today, everyone in New England is worried that our suddenly desirable former backup quarterback is going to leave without the Patriots getting anything in return.

Only one thing is certain: Matt Cassel will not be a New England Patriot next season. He may be a Viking, he may be a Buccaneer, or he may be a Lion (or some other quarterback-needy team), but he will not be a Patriot.

Cassel has been paying his dues since the day he graduated high school. He backed up Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Tom Brady. He hadn’t started a game, or even seen significant playing time, until week two of this season.

Since then, he’s morphed into a quality, dare I say above-average NFL starting quarterback.

Today, he’s far better than both guys who’s clipboards he carried in college. He’s no Tom Brady, but he’s closer to Tom Brady than he is Matt Leinart. More proof (as if Patriot fans needed any) that Pete Carroll doesn’t know what the heck he’s doing.

Two weeks ago, he leaped from “nice story” to “potential franchise quarterback” with his all-world performance against the Jets. He had one of those games. The type of games you dream about as a kid. The only thing missing from his performance against the Jets was a happy ending, but that was hardly his fault.

Then he was even better against the Dolphins.

Matt Cassel has come out of last two games smelling like roses. Green-colored roses. With dead Presidents’ faces on them.

So the Patriots have two options:

1) Let Matt Cassel go

He took over a team that was destined for a high draft pick and turned them into a contender. He didn’t fill Brady’s shoes, but he proved his own were pretty big as well. He earned a starting job somewhere, and the Patriots could let him go with no hard feelings.

After all, the Patriots drafted his replacement already. They knew he was likely gone after this season.

I can’t imagine the Patriots allowing this to happen, but it certainly is an option.

2) Franchise Cassel, then trade him

Any talk of franchising Matt Cassel was laughable just three weeks ago. Now, not only isn’t it laughable, but it seems likely.

The Patriots will be about $20 million under the cap this offseason. The franchise number for a quarterback will be about $11 million. The Patriots could easily franchise Cassel, then trade him before the draft.

I don’t expect anyone to give up two first-round picks, but if he keeps playing like he did against the Jets there’s no reason you can’t get one. Or at least a second-round pick.

The Patriots have holes on the defensive side of the ball. They need help in the secondary, and Jerod Mayo aside, their linebackers are getting old. The Patriots could use the pick(s) they get from a Matt Cassel trade to help replenish their defense.

If this season taught us anything, it’s that Tom Brady won’t be around forever. Let’s say he bounces back and is 100 percent next season. How much longer will Tom Brady be Tom Brady?

Three years? Five years?

Are we going to saddle the greatest quarterback of our generation with an old and slow defense? Brady should have five Super Bowl rings right now. His defense has let him down two years in a row. They fell apart against the Colts, and failed in the final seconds against the Giants.

Matt Cassel is the best thing that could have happened to the New England Patriots. Not because of what he brought to the table this season, but because of what he can bring them next season.

The Patriots must franchise their former backup quarterback this offseason. Matt Cassel has waited eight years to be someone’s starting quarterback. He can wait a few more months while the Patriots work out a trade with his next team.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Yayy!!!! Franchise the FUCK out of Matt Cassel, and do it TODAY.

Pestilence
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Why the hell not? Why buy a new car that may be a lemon with a high price when you can get one broken in, cheaper, and more dependable?

WTF.

Cheaper? Dude is going to want a decent sized contract. He's never been a starter anywhere except NE for one year....and he didn't take them to the playoffs. Cassell is not going to come here and be like he was in NE.....we don't have an all-pro line and Moss/Welker to throw too.

DJ's left nut
01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Or draft Chase Patton in the 6th and watch him do the same thing.

Cassel's nothing without that system and those WRs. Anyone that watched him play more than 2 games last season (and I'm including his 400 yarders) will recognize that right away. He has a passable arm and barely average accuracy.

Do. Not. Want.

Chiefnj2
01-27-2009, 01:22 PM
WTF.

Cheaper? Dude is going to want a decent sized contract. He's never been a starter anywhere except NE for one year....and he didn't take them to the playoffs. Cassell is not going to come here and be like he was in NE.....we don't have an all-pro line and Moss/Welker to throw too.

Saying he didn't take them to the playoffs is a joke of a criticism. What'd they have 11 wins? The Giants won the Super Bowl after posting 10 wins in the regular season. It's a huge fluke not to make the playoffs with 11 wins.

ChiefsCountry
01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
You wont win a Super Bowl with Cassel and that is the bottom line. It would be stupid as hell.

Chiefnj2
01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
You wont win a Super Bowl with Cassel and that is the bottom line. It would be stupid as hell.

Name one QB that somebody didn't say that about.

ChiefsCountry
01-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Name one QB that somebody didn't say that about.

What 7th round pick won a Super Bowl?

BigChiefFan
01-27-2009, 01:36 PM
For one, IF we were to do that, we would TRADE DOWN and get more picks and still have a first rounder to work with.

Wilson8
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
NFL player search, QB or any other position...

First look at current roster. Second look at free agents. Third look at possible trades. Fourth look at the NFL draft. Then back to looking at the roster and free agents again. This might seem like the draft is the last place to look and unimportant but it is actually the most VALUABLE. By looking at the other options first, it allows for more flexibility with the draft and getting the best players. Using only the draft to build the team creates a young team but it does not put the team closer to a championship. So if the team needs a right tackle you first look at your roster then free agents. If there is an answer for the right tackle position in either of those places, you take care of that need. If the team needs a defensive end, you do the same thing but maybe the draft is the answer.

I am saying the same logic be used for the QB. I'm not saying that Matt Cassel is the answer, but he should be looked at. I don't see the answer on the roster. I don't see the answer with free agents. The last place and again the most valuable place to look for the QB will be with the draft pick.

Ebolapox
01-27-2009, 01:58 PM

I see a pretty decent QB that was put on an amazing fucking team. I just don't see the kind of QB that makes the team AROUND him better.

darth anakin croywalker

R&GHomer
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
This was being thrown around a lot, especially over at Patriots Planet.

I think a compromise is a good idea. The Chiefs trade 1st round picks with the Patriots, and get Cassel. Or better yet, trade LJ straight up for Cassel.

I could get behind that

DJJasonp
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
To be a bit of devil's advocate here.....

If you got a great personnel guy who knows their stuff about player's talent and potential.......and if age is close to being equal....wouldnt you rather have known commodity versus unknown commodity??

Specifically, if you feel like Cassell is the real deal....he only has a year's worth of mileage on the tires....isnt that smarter than drafting a QB who has never taken a snap in the NFL? (even if it's the 3rd pick of the draft???)

I realize that Cassell is not 22 years old.....but if he was 24 or 25....maybe the safe play is Cassell rather than drafting a QB at #3?? (that is only IF your personnell guru is very good).

Again - just a devil's advocate look at things.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 02:23 PM
darth anakin croywalker

Darth BamaBangs. His breathing apparatus makes the sound of banjo strings being plucked.

That, and it's time for KC to have it's own, drafted, and in house guy for the next 12 to 15 years.

DJJasonp
01-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Too look at this more in-depth:

in 2001, the chiefs traded their #1 pick for Trent Green.

In 6 years, Green was 47-40 as a starter with 118 TD's and 48 INT's

The #1 pick in 2001 was Michael Vick who was (in the same # of seasons) 38-28-1 with 71 TD's and 52 INT's. (Vick was 2-2 in playoffs...Green was 0-1 as a starter)

Point I'm making....there is no guarantee that a top 5 pick at QB is going to be better than a known commodity.

Now - to present the other side of it.....Drew Brees was picked in the same year with the 1st pick in the 2nd round......but there's also Quincy Carter as the 22nd pick in the 2nd round.

Again....known commodity or taking a risk (if all things are relatively equal...especially age)????

Pestilence
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Everything is a fucking risk. This argument that taking a QB is a huge risk in the first round is getting old. Let's just take an OT every year in the 1st round because it's "safe".

Chiefnj2
01-27-2009, 02:28 PM

So when Brady was a backup you think people thought he was a Super Bowl caliber QB? When he had a 50% completion percentage and no TD's after his first three games you think the people in NE thought he was a Super Bowl QB?

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Everything is a fucking risk. This argument that taking a QB is a huge risk in the first round is getting old. Let's just take an OT every year in the 1st round because it's "safe".

The Worst Draft Nightmare In History:

Pioli recruits "Sensible Chiefs Fan" to handle this years duties!:doh!:

Round One, 3rd overall: New Waterboy! (low risk here, can definitely keep job!)

etc, etc, etc.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Clean up in Aisle 3...

HemiEd
01-27-2009, 02:44 PM
That was a shocker.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
That, and it's time for KC to have it's own, drafted, and in house guy for the next 12 to 15 years.

I understand the desire to develop OUR OWN QB. But even Len Dawson was not drafted by the Chiefs. But he is totally considered a Chief. With that in mind, if someone like Cassell really does have a solid future and he comes to the Chiefs now he will be a Chief QB when NFL history is written 20 years from now. The question then is how much upside does MC have to be a long term startin QB for us? I say nobody knows but Pioli. To be fair though, for every bashing that Cassell gets on this forum I think of him this way: in terms of coaching he has received he is at least an equivalant of a solid college QB with 3 years of starting. Forget that he never started before last year. As much as I have warmed up to Sanchez, I can't say he is or will be any better than Cassell. The guy has obviously received some great coaching in his time in NE. Just call him a late bloomer.

The above comment, though does not mean I would trade our 1st for him outright.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Clean up in Aisle 3...

That was a shocker.

What?!... What?!

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Adam Tiecher to be on 610 shortly; should be fun.

610 Advocating Cassel ass-hattery; big surprise there.

JuicesFlowing
01-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Also known as the Carl Peterson 20-year Reign.

DrRyan
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I think it is tough to judge Cassel after this season. The first couple of games he was pretty questionable playing QB. When he really started to catch fire he realized, "if I am in trouble, throw Randy Moss a jump ball." The Chiefs O-line and WRs are not equal to the Pats. I think expecting that kind of production out of Cassel in KC is not likely.

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Bart Star was picked in the 16th round FWIW

Frankie
01-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it is tough to judge Cassel after this season. The first couple of games he was pretty questionable playing QB. When he really started to catch fire he realized, "if I am in trouble, throw Randy Moss a jump ball." The Chiefs O-line and WRs are not equal to the Pats. I think expecting that kind of production out of Cassel in KC is not likely.

Maybe not quite the first year, but are we not intending to have a good O-line and WR group in the long term plans?

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by the Talking Can http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5430375#post5430375)

Also known as the Carl Peterson 20-year Reign.

They don't even deserve to have the "Carl-Out". I'm following TTC's lead on this one:
Anyone who advocates playing the "safe and sure hand"( as if there even EXISTS such a thing )will now be called the following:

"Binks"
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/OHNOESBINKS.gif

DrRyan
01-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Maybe not quite the first year, but are we not intending to have a good O-line and WR group in the long term plans?

Obviously having a good O-line is in the plan. But, Randy Moss quality WRs don't come around that often, especially having a Welker compliment in the slot. All I am saying is I think Cassel's numbers are inflated due to what he had to work with.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 04:14 PM
True Fan Vomit in FULL FORCE ON 610( surprise )!

Good God we've got some dipshit fans...

Marcellus
01-27-2009, 05:52 PM

You have to consider Stafford probably goes to Detroit so that leaves Sanchez. Started 1 season at USC.

Depending on the price tag, draft pick and contract, I don't see how MC is a bigger risk than Sanchez.

NE didn't have a great o-line this year either by the way. KC managed to sack Brady a couple times in the opener. How many sacks did we get after that?

Mecca
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
You have to consider Stafford probably goes to Detroit so that leaves Sanchez. Started 1 season at USC.

Depending on the price tag, draft pick and contract, I don't see how MC is a bigger risk than Sanchez.

NE didn't have a very good o-line this year either by the way. Their running game was non existent and KC managed to sack Brady a couple times in the opener. How many sacks did we get after that?

Um dude the Patriots finished 6th in the league in rushing with 2278 yards that's 142 yards a game...so come again? Not to mention 21 rushing TD's...so what are you talking about?

Also their line looks worse because Cassell doesn't get rid of the ball like Brady does...

Marcellus
01-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Um dude the Patriots finished 6th in the league in rushing with 2278 yards that's 142 yards a game...so come again? Not to mention 21 rushing TD's...so what are you talking about?

Also their line looks worse because Cassell doesn't get rid of the ball like Brady does...

Yea I looked up their rushing offense after I posted it. We also sacked Cassel twice, not Brady.

I still think it's not outlandish depending on the price.

Mecca
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Matt Cassell is not remotely worth the 3rd overall pick.

Marcellus
01-27-2009, 06:19 PM

Not the 3rd overall. No doubt.

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Some people in this thread would do well to watch Cassel from some games this season. He is thoroughly unimpressive.

Mecca
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Some people in this thread would do well to watch Cassel from some games this season. He is thoroughly unimpressive.

From what I saw most of his production came from swinging short throws out to Moss and Welker and letting them run...no other team is goin to afford him that kind of WR talent.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM

He's the Kraft BBQ Sauce of the NFL! Boo-Ya!PBJ

Ultra Peanut
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Utter retardation of trading #3 for Cassel aside, here is a small thing (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/01/smart-notes-january-10-2009.html) that supports my general assertion that Cassel is nothing special:

If football were a brand new invention, and we had to decide how to credit the various amounts of yards gained to various players, how would we do it? If I said, "There's this kind of play called a pass, in which a thrower passes the ball to a another player who then runs with it as far as he can. I say we credit all the yards run by the receiver to the thrower." You'd say I was nuts.

I'd say, "Well, it takes a special kind of talent for a passer to get a lot of yardage after the catch (YAC). I won't be able to prove it, in fact, I won't have any evidence for that statement at all, but I still think our primary measure of a passer should include all those yards." I'd be laughed at.

Here are the QBs from 2007 who led the league in percent of their passing yardage as YAC: Croyle, Testaverde, Greise, Harrington, Favre, McCown, Losman, and Lemon. The 2006 list includes Brunell, Carr, Favre, (Rob) Johnson, and (Alex) Smith. There's isn't a single guy on that list who we can call a legitimate starter.

The 2008 season's list of leaders in %YAC include Cassel, O'Sullivan, Campbell, Favre (again), Losman, and Wallace. But Matt Cassel is good, right? Maybe not. Keep in mind how good the team around him was. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari. If a QB racks up his passing yards with YAC, he's either throwing lots of short check-downs and screens, or he has spectacular receivers--or both. Neither is necessarily an indication of a particularly skilled passer.

If we throw away all the YAC and look underneath, what do we have left? I call it Air Yards (AY). It's the distance forward of the line of scrimmage a pass travels. Although it's not a perfect measure of a passer, I think it makes a lot more sense than crediting Donovan McNabb with 71 yards and a touchdown for a 1-yard screen pass to Brian Westbrook.

Wilson8
01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
From what I saw most of his production came from swinging short throws out to Moss and Welker and letting them run...no other team is goin to afford him that kind of WR talent.

To support that thought, New England was number 1 in the NFL in yards after catch so that really helped Cassel's total yards.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Obviously having a good O-line is in the plan. But, Randy Moss quality WRs don't come around that often, especially having a Welker compliment in the slot. All I am saying is I think Cassel's numbers are inflated due to what he had to work with.

Meh, methinks Moss is overrated and Bowe underrated.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
If I hear anyone in the sports-media say the word "Crabtree" one more fucking time as it relates to 3rd overall, I'm going to devote my entire worday to calling KC radio stations.

Every show, both stations, and a massive verbal enema to the dumbfuck stupid enough to put me on the air.

ChiefsCountry
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM

:doh!:

Frankie
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
:doh!:

I know I know. Moss is NE's so he is great. Bowe is ours so he is a bust. I forgot the CP rule.

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I know I know. Moss is NE's so he is great. Bowe is ours so he is a bust. I forgot the CP rule.
Bowe isn't a bust. He's ahead of schedule for a lot of young receivers.

But Randy Moss is Randy fucking Moss.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
But Randy Moss is Randy ****ing Moss.

Whom we managed to keep in check almost every time Oakland played us.

Rausch
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Bono, Girlbac, Cassel.

Yep, I see's me a trend...

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Bono, Girlbac, Cassel.

Yep, I see's me a trend...

I see Marino on the board and KC passing on him. Part 2.:doh!::cuss:

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Whom we managed to keep in check almost every time Oakland played us.
Because the rest of those Raiders teams were appallingly bad.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Because the rest of those Raiders teams were appallingly bad.

And according to this forum most of the Chiefs are appallingly bad, ERGO Bowe is another Moss.

KCChiefsMan
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM

heck no.

Reaper16
01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
And according to this forum most of the Chiefs are appallingly bad, ERGO Bowe is another Moss.
Moss was the one Raider back then that you had to double team. Bowe doesn't get constant double teams because Tony G did. ERGO, Bowe is Jerry Porter.

cmh6476
01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
how about a 3rd this year and conditional pick next year based on how well we do?

ChiefsCountry
01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
how about a 3rd this year and conditional pick next year based on how well we do?

How about we dont trade for him at all.

DeezNutz
01-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Even though I have quoted a passage I agree with, I'm going to compose some original prose to assuage any fears that I am a lazy bag o' shit.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Even though I have quoted a passage I agree with, I'm going to compose some original prose to assuage any fears that I am a lazy bag o' shit.

LMAO

Cornstock
01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Cassell and Thigpen have more or less the same amount of experience, but Cassell's cast was far superior to Thiggy's. I do think that Cassell is a superior QB, but not so much to warrant such a blockbuster trade.

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 10:06 PM

Go play with the droids, Binks. And don't fuck anything up.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/OHNOESBINKS.gif

MadMax
01-27-2009, 11:08 PM

:clap::thumb: Totally agree..

Darth CarlSatan
01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
:clap::thumb: Totally agree..

That cat is awesome.

milkman
01-28-2009, 05:50 AM
If Pioli did this I would start the "Pioli Haters Club" Myself!!!!

Cassel is worse then Thigpen and thigpen is not even that great in my book.

I would not even give a 7th rounder for Cassel. I would rather take a chance on a draft QB then even think about Cassel.

I mean look: How is Cassel "Close to being liek Brady"

Tom "F'n" Brady was UNDEFEATED last year and Fuking Cassel could NOT even get the pats to the F'n Playoffs???????????

You put Thigpen or heck even Croyle in that Pats system and they probably make the playoffs still. Cassel is trash and not worth ANYTHING unless we can sign him to the league min and give up no draft picks then I say HELLL NO.

Let's not get carried away here.

Cassell is Scott Mitchell waiting to happen, but worse than Thigpen?

Get real.

milkman
01-28-2009, 06:07 AM

And you wonder why people insult you?

When Randy Moss is happy and motivated, he is one of the most talented receivers to ever play the game.

JFC.

You honestly expect people to take you seriously when you post stupid shit like this?

Marcellus
01-28-2009, 06:29 AM
I see Marino on the board and KC passing on him. Part 2.:doh!::cuss:

Except there is nothing close to Marino in the draft.

I think we should just let the genius GM we just hired make the decision. Oh wait, fortunately we don't have a choice. I was beginning to believe for a minute Pioli was going top come here and use the general consensus to make the decision on our draft strategy.

MahiMike
01-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Let's not get carried away here.

Cassell is Scott Mitchell waiting to happen, but worse than Thigpen?

Get real.

And Stafford is Rex Grossman.

milkman
01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
And Stafford is Rex Grossman.

You could well be right.

But Stafford has more upside than Cassell, so if I'm going to take a chance with one or the other, I'm going to take the strong armed young gun with the higher ceiling over the system QB with a weak arm and questionable accuracy.

Hell, I would rather have drafted Sam Bradford than trade for Cassell.

Darth CarlSatan
01-28-2009, 08:28 AM

I think we should just let the genius GM we just hired make the decision. Oh wait, fortunately we don't have a choice. I was beginning to believe for a minute Pioli was going top come here and use the general consensus to make the decision on our draft strategy.

And today's bullshit mantra is...

Frankie
01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
And you wonder why people insult you?

When Randy Moss is happy and motivated, he is one of the most talented receivers to ever play the game.

JFC.

You honestly expect people to take you seriously when you post stupid shit like this?

Hey hotshot,... just because you take every opportunity to play keyboard Rambo with me doesn't mean "PEOPLE" insult me. You give yourself too much credit. It's not my fault that your few cells cannot properly process a statement. Let me help you out here: I believe that Moss is overrated. I believe that Bowe is underrated (because he is ours). THAT DOES NOT MEAN I SAID THEY ARE EQUAL! Try to get this by rereading it a few times.:shake:

Frankie
01-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Is Sanchez NOT more mobile than Marino? Maybe not as good a passer, but if more mobile he makes up some of the diff.

milkman
01-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey hotshot,... just because you take every opportunity to play keyboard Rambo with me doesn't mean "PEOPLE" insult me. You give yourself too much credit. It's not my fault that your few cells cannot properly process a statement. Let me help you out here: I believe that Moss is overrated. I believe that Bowe is underrated (because he is ours). THAT DOES NOT MEAN I SAID THEY ARE EQUAL. Try to get this by rereading it a few times.:shake:

JFC, I never even addressed your statement that Bowe was underrated.
I'm not the only one that insults your dumb ass.

You have the football IQ equivlalent to a monkey throwing poo.

Hell, just like that monkey, maybe you'll get lucky some day and hit something.

Frankie
01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
You have have the football IQ of a monkey throwing poo.

ERGO, I am Einstein to you. Your aggression is due to jealousy then. I get it.

Darth CarlSatan
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Is Sanchez NOT more mobile than Marino? Maybe not as good a passer, but if more mobile he makes up some of the diff.

Don't even bother trying. Anyone who would pen something as stupid as that fucking "no one even close" bullshit is worthy of no ones time or respect.

Darth CarlSatan
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM

LMAO Okay, that one was funny.

milkman
01-28-2009, 09:04 AM

I think we have the answer to the question;

"Do stupid people know they're stupid?"

Frankie
01-28-2009, 09:09 AM
I think we have the answer to the question;

"Do stupid people know they're stupid?"

Do you have a mirror handy?

Frosty
01-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Do you have a mirror handy?

:rolleyes:

Try this one: "I know you are but what am I?"

http://i40.tinypic.com/2dhacrr.jpg

warrior
01-28-2009, 10:11 AM
LOL that's funny.

warrior
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM

This.

How about we develop our own QB were not going to be very good next year contrary to the beliefs of some.

Darth CarlSatan
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Here we go AGAIN on 610 with the Great Cassel Ball Wash Of '09. :shake:

Time to fire up the 'ol Hate Machine! :cuss:

Wilson8
01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
If you want to see a 2008 QB ranking go to http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Not going to go into all of the info on how they are ranked (you can read that if you go to the site), but it has the first five QBs, as (1) Drew Brees, (2) Peyton Manning, (3) Kurt Warner, (4) Phillip Rivers, and. (5) Jay Cutler. Ranked at (17) is Matt Cassel. Ranked at (30) is Tyler Thigpen.

Possible free agent QBs O’Sullivan (41) Loseman (40) Rosenfels (28) Garcia (18). Roethlisberger is ranked (25), so a team can win and not have their QB perform all that well.

Who are the Chiefs competing with to obtain a starting QB?
Other teams that might draft a 1st or 2nd round QB or go after Matt Cassel –

Detroit Lions – Kitna, Orlovsky, and Culpepper are not the answer.
St. Louis Rams – Mark Bulger needs a future replacement.
Minnesota Vikings – Could use an upgrade to Jackson.
Cincinnati Bengals – Depends on the health of Carson Palmer
New England Patriots – Depends on health of Tom Brady
Carolina Panthers – Jake Delhomme needs a future replacement
San Francisco 49ers – J.T. O’Sullivan, Shawn Hill, and Alex Smith leave the 49ers wanting more.

If the Lions or Rams go after Cassel that would probably be best. What I am afraid of is Vikings get Cassel for 2nd round pick, Lions pick Stafford and Rams take Sanchez.

patteeu
01-28-2009, 03:13 PM
If you want to see a 2008 QB ranking go to http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Not going to go into all of the info on how they are ranked (you can read that if you go to the site), but it has the first five QBs, as (1) Drew Brees, (2) Peyton Manning, (3) Kurt Warner, (4) Phillip Rivers, and. (5) Jay Cutler. Ranked at (17) is Matt Cassel. Ranked at (30) is Tyler Thigpen.

Possible free agent QBs O’Sullivan (41) Loseman (40) Rosenfels (28) Garcia (18). Roethlisberger is ranked (25), so a team can win and not have their QB perform all that well.

Who are the Chiefs competing with to obtain a starting QB?
Other teams that might draft a 1st or 2nd round QB or go after Matt Cassel –

Detroit Lions – Kitna, Orlovsky, and Culpepper are not the answer.
St. Louis Rams – Mark Bulger needs a future replacement.
Minnesota Vikings – Could use an upgrade to Jackson.
Cincinnati Bengals – Depends on the health of Carson Palmer
New England Patriots – Depends on health of Tom Brady
Carolina Panthers – Jake Delhomme needs a future replacement
San Francisco 49ers – J.T. O’Sullivan, Shawn Hill, and Alex Smith leave the 49ers wanting more.

If the Lions or Rams go after Cassel that would probably be best. What I am afraid of is Vikings get Cassel for 2nd round pick, Lions pick Stafford and Rams take Sanchez.

You left Tampa Bay off your list. Maybe with Gruden gone, they'll be satisfied with Garcia or one of the other guys (Griese being the most notable) on their roster, but they probably shouldn't be. Garcia's not all that bad, but he is old (~38) so even if they plan on Garcia being the guy for the next year or two they still might see a need for someone to groom.

Wilson8
01-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Good point on Tampa Bay. They have Brian Griese, Luke McCown, and rookie Josh Johnson. I think Jeff Garcia is a free agent. If they elect to re-sign Garcia they may wait add see if Johnson develops. McCown is 28 so they might still work with him. If Garcia leaves, they will probably seek another QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
great thread for perspective.

ChiefGator
02-28-2009, 06:14 PM

God, I look like a damn fool now.

Mecca
02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm still going to say I'm not thrilled about this, hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

unlurking
02-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Don't even bother trying. Anyone who would pen something as stupid as that fucking "no one even close" bullshit is worthy of no ones time or respect.
So you are saying either Stafford or Sanchez is the next Dan Marino?

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
So you are saying either Stafford or Sanchez is the next Dan Marino?

Who the fuck cares now?

unlurking
02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Who the fuck cares now?
I'm just trying find out who the appropriate great to grade Cassel against in the coming year. Can he be the next Dan Marino? Can he be "the best QB prospect in half a decade"? Can he take us 16-0?

I'm just trying to figure out where to set the bar for my expectations this season.

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm just trying find out who the appropriate great to grade Cassel against in the coming year. Can he be the next Dan Marino? Can he be "the best QB prospect in half a decade"? Can he take us 16-0?

I'm just trying to figure out where to set the bar for my expectations this season.

I'll give him 6, maybe 7.

unlurking
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
wins?

out of 10?

stars?

:)

Darth CarlSatan
02-28-2009, 06:51 PM
wins?

out of 10?

stars?