PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Haley: What do we know?

TRR
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Please feel free to delete if this is a repost or move if it is in the wrong area...

I am of the opinion that Todd Haley is going to be KC's next Head Coach. Pioli has kept everything close to the vest, but seems to be waiting for the Super Bowl to be over to ink Haley. But what does this mean? What are his credentials? Is he just a hot new name brought on by very recent Cardinal success? Or is he a young up and coming Head Coach?

I listened to his Dad (Dick Haley ~ Former Steelers Director of Player Personnel) talk about his son today on ESPN radio. He said that Todd's biggest strength is that he can read people. That he can evaluate and know the difference between a hard working player, a guy that loves the game, a guy that plays with passion, and the difference between guy who plays for money. He also said that Todd is an extremely hard worker, and that his years working with Bill Parcells and Dick Jauron have given him the necessary foundation to be a good Head Coach in the NFL. This is yet to be determined.

Here is what we know of Todd Haley...

Todd Haley (born February 28 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_28), 1967 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967) in Atlanta, Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta,_Georgia)) is the current offensive coordinator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_coordinator) for the Arizona Cardinals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Cardinals) of the NFL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League). Prior to his tenure with the Cardinals, Haley was the wide receivers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver) coach for the New York Jets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets), Chicago Bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears), and Dallas Cowboys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys).
Haley attended Upper St. Clair High School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_St._Clair_High_School) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh,_Pennsylvania) and graduated from University of North Florida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Florida) in 1991. He is the son of Dick Haley, the former Director of player personnel for the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers) and New York Jets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets). Todd was a ball boy for the Steelers in his youth. In January 2009 rumors circulated about Haley's potential hire as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs).

Are you on the Haley bandwagon? It seems that some of the veteran's like Waters and Gonzalez want a more veteran/proven coach. Both Gonzo and Waters seem to think you need a proven winner to gain the respect of all the young guys in the locker room. Some seem to think that a young coach may mesh well with a young locker room like Mike Tomlin has with the Steelers organization. All I know is that Haley may be a bright, hard working young mind, but his experience is very light for a job this big!

Thoughts...

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Im all over the Haley bandwagon. I wanna get him signed the day after the SB

StcChief
01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
He can surround him self with good people. Keeping Gailey is good. Get a good DC.
Clark wants to go younger. Pioli can get him the personnel.

Alot of this maybe the Fluke of the "shock the world" Cardinals....9-7
but they have quietly built a good team.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
my only problem is that he has only had 2 years of OC experience, but he has always been successful in whatever he was doing with coaching football

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
my only problem is that he has only had 2 years of OC experience, but he has always been successful in whatever he was doing with coaching football

Technically, he only has 1 year of OC experience.

Whisenhunt called the plays last year.

Brock
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I dunno. He seems like a smart guy, which would be a big change for the chiefs.

DeezNutz
01-27-2009, 04:12 PM

And this is exactly why we should have kept Herm.

All the good options are gone, and we're going to be stuck with jack shit.

Typical Chiefs. I blame Clark.

OnTheWarpath58
And this is exactly why we should have kept Herm.

All the good options are gone, and we're going to be stuck with jack shit.

Typical Chiefs. I blame Clark.

LMAO

DeezNutz
I dunno. He seems like a smart guy, which would be a big change for the chiefs.

And he's a yeller! I'm ready to have one of these.

ArrowheadHawk
01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
It would be nice to have some young blood. Maybee we can keep a coach for 15 years.

Sure-Oz
Im not really sold on the guy but atleast herms fired

KCrockaholic

well he had to have done something. He didnt just sit there and let Whisenhunt run the show. If that was the case Haley would have never been hired. He was still coaching in the offensive coordinator role, which probably means he was the guy going over the opponets defense, and making adjustments and giving Whisenhunt tips on which plays to call. but ultimately it was whisehunts desicions.

I think that is probably what happened

DeezNutz
01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Haley? Fine.

I'm going to be somewhat shocked when the new coach isn't a "Who the fuck is this guy?" example.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
So if Haley takes over i wonder if he or Gailey will call the plays? I would much rather have Haley calling the plays.

Sure-Oz
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Haleys plays...

throw to dwayne bowe, throw to gonzo about 12 straight plays with the random handoff to LJ and then when we get at the goal line we put in Jamaal Charles to run

DaWolf
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Todd Haley: What do we know?

Not much.

1 - He's a good coach with the passing game
2 - His teams haven't run the ball too well
3 - He's coaching a 37 year old former MVP QB who is starting over a first round pick
4 - He wears his emotions on his sleeve
5 - He's worked for Parcells
6 - His team finished 9-7, including a 40 point pasting by the pats, before getting hot in the playoffs.
7 - He's done wonders for Fitzgerald and might get some of our receivers to step it up.

Now a lot of this stuff goes back to Wisenhunt, the head coach, so you can't really pin it all on Haley. But outside of a few "feel good" stories I can't get a read on the guy. I am not at all sold on him, but again, if Pioli says that's the guy that's going to be the face of the franchise, I will trust Pioli.

Then again, do I have any basis to trust Pioli? Not really. I'm just taking a leap of faith right now because it's not Carl...

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Haleys plays...

throw to dwayne bowe, throw to gonzo about 12 straight plays with the random handoff to LJ and then when we get at the goal line we put in Jamaal Charles to run

Pretty much.

No need to draft a RB, we won't be using the ones we have.

Fritz88
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
What do we know?

I know one thing. If he beats the Steelers' D and wins the SB. I want him.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
He can surround him self with good people. Keeping Gailey is good.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...... (drumroll).....

THE HALEY AND GAILEY SHOW!!!!

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Haleys plays...

only problem with this strategy is i wanna know who this LJ guy is? As far as i know, there wont be an LJ on this team next year.

Sure-Oz
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
only problem with this strategy is i wanna know who this LJ guy is? As far as i know, there wont be an LJ on this team next year.

You can substitute it with any RB on the roster pretty much, but you have to make sure Charles is the goal line back ala tim hightower/arrington

Sure-Oz
Pretty much.

No need to draft a RB, we won't be using the ones we have.

Pretty much my view...if he is brought on i'll give him a shot. We don't have the talent to throw every play like ARZ either.

Frankie

Actually that's his only drawback in my book. I have never liked the Ditka/Parcells types. I like the Starm types.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM

I agree...i think us as Chiefs fan should pay close attention to the Cards offense on Feb 1st.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 04:27 PM

I agree...i think us as Chiefs fan should pay close attention to the Cards offense on Feb 1st.

Why?

What does what he accomplishes with a former SB and League MVP and two of the best WR's in football have to do with him being a successful HC in KC?

TRR
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM

This is exactly why I am a little scared to hand over the reigns of a young team to a very inexperienced coach.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Actually that's his only drawback in my book. I have never liked the Ditka/Parcells types. I like the Starm types.

so what should he do? let his players run their mouths all over him? I think what happened with the Boldin situation shouldnt be put on Haley at all. At the end of the day the Cards won the game. If he had put Boldin who had been injured, in the game, say he misses a block on a sweep play and James gets blown up, Cards lose the ball and lose the game because Boldin wasnt healthy enough to be playing at the time. Thats why he had only 4 catches in the game if i remember correct.

Rooster
01-27-2009, 04:30 PM

That is an excellent point.

Dicky McElephant
01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Not much.

1 - He's a good coach with the passing game
2 - His teams haven't run the ball too well
3 - He's coaching a 37 year old former MVP QB who is starting over a first round pick
4 - He wears his emotions on his sleeve
5 - He's worked for Parcells
6 - His team finished 9-7, including a 40 point pasting by the pats, before getting hot in the playoffs.
7 - He's done wonders for Fitzgerald and might get some of our receivers to step it up.

Now a lot of this stuff goes back to Wisenhunt, the head coach, so you can't really pin it all on Haley. But outside of a few "feel good" stories I can't get a read on the guy. I am not at all sold on him, but again, if Pioli says that's the guy that's going to be the face of the franchise, I will trust Pioli.

Then again, do I have any basis to trust Pioli? Not really. I'm just taking a leap of faith right now because it's not Carl...

Done wonders for Fitzgerald? Switch that around. Fitzgerald has done wonders for Haley. Nobody would be talking about Haley if he didn't have Larry on his team.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Why?

What does what he accomplishes with a former SB and League MVP and two of the best WR's in football have to do with him being a successful HC in KC?

it should give us an idea of what plays Haley will call when under pressure. If he chooses to run the ball on 3rd and long and losing by 10 with 5 mins left, I would change my stance on Haley.

OnTheWarpath58
Done wonders for Fitzgerald? Switch that around. Fitzgerald has done wonders for Haley. Nobody would be talking about Haley if he didn't have Larry on his team.

THIS.

Sure-Oz
Fitz is the best WR in the NFL imo, the guy has been underappreciated until this year.

alpha_omega
01-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I am still not sure what to think....i thought Clark wanted somebody with HC experience???

Sure-Oz
01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
we have no clue wtf clark wants besides Shanny

KCChiefsFan88
01-27-2009, 04:38 PM

Wasn't he a "semi" offensive coordinator in Dallas, coordinator of the passing game or some similar type of title?

penchief
01-27-2009, 04:40 PM

I don't know that he's so much a yeller (ala Gunther) as he is someone who doesn't tolerate a player's bullshit.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Wasn't he a "semi" offensive coordinator in Dallas, coordinator of the passing game or some similar type of title?

yep, i was just about to mention that. he was in Dallas from 04-06

SNR
01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't know that he's so much a yeller (ala Gunther) as he is someone who doesn't tolerate a player's bullshit.I would take that. At least have someone in there who tells players how much they actually suck. According to Gonzalez there are tons of players who think we could have made the playoffs if just one or two plays/game went their way.

TRR
Most on this thread are forgetting about Todd Haley's experience as a BALL BOY.

Don't sleep on that...

OnTheWarpath58
Most on this thread are forgetting about Todd Haley's experience as a BALL BOY.

Don't sleep on that...

LMAO.

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know that he's so much a yeller (ala Gunther) as he is someone who doesn't tolerate a player's bullshit.

exactly, thank you.

JASONSAUTO
01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Pretty much my view...if he is brought on i'll give him a shot. We don't have the talent to throw every play like ARZ either.

???? we threw the ball alot this year

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 04:47 PM
???? we threw the ball alot this year

And went 2-14.

KCrockaholic
I would take that. At least have someone in there who tells players how much they actually suck. According to Gonzalez there are tons of players who think we could have made the playoffs if just one or two plays/game went their way.

i would love it if we could pull a Miami Dolphins next year

JASONSAUTO
we have no clue wtf clark wants besides Shanny

how do we actually know clark wants or even wanted shannahan???

JASONSAUTO
01-27-2009, 04:48 PM
And went 2-14.

yep with NO defense,

KCrockaholic
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Our biggest problem is defense, i dont care what Haley can do with our Offense, but we need to fix our defense very quick, letting Gun go was a giant step in the right direction.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
yep with NO defense,

And?

If you honestly think that Todd Haley will be successful here, just because he was successful for ONE YEAR with a potential HOF QB and two of the best WR's in the NFL...

It amazes me the people slobbering all over this guy. Most of you didn't even know his fucking name until after he and Boldin got into it on the sideline in the championship game.

(Apologies to those of you who mentioned him as a candidate BEFORE the playoffs started. All NONE of you.)

Sure-Oz
01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
And?

If you honestly think that Todd Haley will be successful here, just because he was successful for ONE YEAR with a potential HOF QB and two of the best WR's in the NFL...

It amazes me the people slobbering all over this guy. Most of you didn;t even know his ****ing name until after he and Boldin got into it on the sideline in the championship game.

(Apologies to those of you who mentioned him as a candidate BEFORE the playoffs started. All NONE of you.)

But he didn't take boldins crap............

This guy would've been a nobody candidate if the Cards didn't get this far. I think he is way overhyped.

Dicky McElephant
01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
i would love it if we could pull a Miami Dolphins next year

What.....being eliminated from the playoffs? I'll respect the Dolphins when they do better next year. Until then they are a fluke.

Fritz88
01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
And?

It amazes me the people slobbering all over this guy. Most of you didn't even know his ****ing name until after he and Boldin got into it on the sideline in the championship game.

I understand where you are coming from. I have my doubts about him. But if Carl were behind it, I would be concerned, however; since Pioli is eying him (that's what every assumes) then I think that Mr. P sees something in him and part of wanting Pioli to be our GM is the fact that he is good at locating potential greats.

JASONSAUTO
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
And?

It amazes me the people slobbering all over this guy. Most of you didn't even know his fucking name until after he and Boldin got into it on the sideline in the championship game.

fuck man i NEVER once said anything good about haley did i?? nope just was reading this thread and responded to someone's take that we didnt have the talent to go out there and throw the ball every play. i stated that we did that very thing this year. how does that make me in the boat of "slobbering all over this guy"??

DrRyan
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I would like Russ Grimm and his experience over Haley. Haley has got the AZ offense playing very well lately, but what has pushed this team to the Super Bowl was their defense creating turnovers(not that that was Russ Grimm's doing). +9 in the turnover dept. is going to be a tough team to beat if they can continue.

SNR
01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
And?

It amazes me the people slobbering all over this guy. Most of you didn't even know his ****ing name until after he and Boldin got into it on the sideline in the championship game.

(Apologies to those of you who mentioned him as a candidate BEFORE the playoffs started. All NONE of you.)Who do we hire then? Paul Pasquafuckingloni?

JASONSAUTO
and guess what OTW every fucking head coach in the nfl started somewhere.

Ultra Peanut
i would love it if we could pull a Miami Dolphins next yearYeah, setting up for a short window of opportunity would totally be ideal.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Who do we hire then? Paul Pasquafuckingloni?

I'm fully expect a WTF hire.

As in the fanbase going, "WTF was that?"

Haley's name has been brought up for 3 reasons:

1) His connection to Parcells.

2) The Cardinals playoff run.

3) The Chiefs have waited, therefore they must be interested in a coach from Pittsburgh/Arizona.

TRR
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
And?

He had been mentioned as a possible Head Coaching candidate before this year. There has been some buzz around him for a little while now. However, I'm not sure what he has proven. I honestly think Haley would be better off running the Cards offense for another season or two before venturing out...

Everyone wants to get the young, energetic coach. Pioli can't afford to whiff on this one.

OnTheWarpath58
01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
He had been mentioned as a possible Head Coaching candidate before this year. There has been some buzz around him for a little while now. However, I'm not sure what he has proven. I honestly think Haley would be better off running the Cards offense for another season or two before venturing out...

Everyone wants to get the young, energetic coach. Pioli can't afford to whiff on this one.

Not in Kansas City...

And I agree with your point on him staying in Arizona.

RustShack
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Cowher was only a DC for a few years.

Mr. Laz
01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
as far as i can tell the only thing they guy has done is be a legacy and know the right people.

maybe he will be great ...... but he hasn't really DONE anything that i see.

SNR
01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm fully expect a WTF hire.

As in the fanbase going, "WTF was that?"

Haley's name has been brought up for 3 reasons:

1) His connection to Parcells.

2) The Cardinals playoff run.

3) The Chiefs have waited, therefore they must be interested in a coach from Pittsburgh/Arizona.If Al Davis can pick John Gruden/John Madden, then Clark/Pioli can find a coach just like that.

RustShack
01-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Haley is successful with two great WR's and a guy who could land in the HOF at QB. We already have Bowe and Gonzo... Warner said he wants to test the free agency market, and Crabtree will be there at #3. :doh!:

(for the record I am in no way saying thats what I want, but I can see it going that way with Haley.)

BigChiefFan
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
as far as i can tell the only thing they guy has done is be a legacy and know the right people.

maybe he will be great ...... but he hasn't really DONE anything that i see.I would say the Cards being in the Super Bowl for the first time ever is a pretty big deal.

TRR
01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Haley is successful with two great WR's and a guy who could land in the HOF at QB. We already have Bowe and Gonzo... Warner said he wants to test the free agency market, and Crabtree will be there at #3. :doh!:

(for the record I am in no way saying thats what I want, but I can see it going that way with Haley.)

Warner would be nuts to leave the Cards if they indeed win the Super Bowl. If he were to leave, it would be all about the money. With that being said, I wouldn't want him as the Chiefs QB (add in the fact that his age is direct opposite of the Chiefs current approach).

Warner has finally found a home after St. Louis.

RustShack
01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Warner would be nuts to leave the Cards if they indeed win the Super Bowl. If he were to leave, it would be all about the money. With that being said, I wouldn't want him as the Chiefs QB (add in the fact that his age is direct opposite of the Chiefs current approach).

He likely will get a deal done in Arizona, but then again.. he could like Haley that much.

Infidel Goat
01-27-2009, 05:27 PM

Precisely.

And if they had failed to score on the final drive when he benched Bolden (their second best player)--everyone in Arizona would be second guessing him right now.

I'm not saying I'm against him, but he's not my first choice (unless we somehow get Fitzgerald at the same time)...

theorangelion
01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
And?

:bravo:

Nightfyre
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Warner would be a perfect fit in KC. Why not sign him for a two year monster deal to start for a year and groom a QB we draft? I mean, if you draft a QB in the top 5-10 and are already investing a fortune in him, what could be wrong with paying a bit more to ensure they have the best chance to succeed?

Mr. Arrowhead
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Typical Chiefs fan, your scared to take a chance on someone that is unproven, you want the safe guy. Well let me tell you, our 2 previous coaches had HC experience and what did that do, not shit. Im ready for someone that is young and has the fire in him, and to me Todd Haley fits this describtion. But most likely the same people that want the safe pick at HC, are the same people that are scared to take a QB at our number 3 pick. TYPICAL TYPICAL CHIEF Fan. They never change.

ChiefsCountry
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM

To be fair he was on some of the coaching lists from the national media that were posted here.

Sully
01-27-2009, 06:53 PM
ZI'm definitely on the Haley bandwagon.
I like his pedigree. I like his temperament.
I especially like the story about his interview with the Cowboys for their HC job. The guy has integrity.

FringeNC
01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
And?

The fact that Parcells worked with him previously, and wanted to hire him AS HEAD COACH at Miami conveys a lot of information to me. I'll defer to Bill Parcells; he knows more than I do.

SNR
01-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Typical Chiefs fan, your scared to take a chance on someone that is unproven, you want the safe guy. Well let me tell you, our 2 previous coaches had HC experience and what did that do, not shit. Im ready for someone that is young and has the fire in him, and to me Todd Haley fits this describtion. But most likely the same people that want the safe pick at HC, are the same people that are scared to take a QB at our number 3 pick. TYPICAL TYPICAL CHIEF Fan. They never change.Exactly. I think if anything, this offseason has taught us that your resume often means shit to the kind of job you can do. This huge era of change in Kansas City needs to be carefully considered in all our hires, especially head coach.

The NEW way is getting a coach who is smart, vocal, a good leader, and one who can work with Clark, Scott, and the players and make this truly a team again. Being a brilliant offensive/defensive playcaller, talent scout, position coach, etc. is nice to have, but when it comes down to it, that's what Kansas City has HAD and it just hasn't worked. What we haven't had is a coach who can watch film, adapt quickly to changes on the field, and call the right personnel/make the right decisions.

And where do you find a guy like that? Monte Kiffin and Dick LeBeau are some of the game's greatest coordinators, yet do they make great head coaches? We haven't seen Kiffin and never will. LeBeau coached a terrible Bengals team, true, but didn't exactly make things better. Gregg Williams? Bad coach. Cam Cameron? Bad coach.

Hiring a guy like Haley is a risk, yes, but he seems to have the kind of characteristics that are necessary for a good coach in this day and age of the NFL. The Chiefs have HAD experienced coaches. Marty, Vermeil, and even Herm to some extent. None of them have worked.

But what do we know? Pioli's a much better evaluator of a coach's ability than any of us will ever become.

Tuckdaddy
01-27-2009, 07:26 PM
The only thing we know for sure is the coach Scott has hired or has already got an agreement with is on either the Pit or AZ staffs. Couldn't be anyone else.

blueballs
01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
The Todd Haley talk comes from the same bunch
that brought the -Shanahan close to signing story
speculation

ChiefsCountry
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Couldn't be anyone else.

It can be anybody, NFL puts the teams on lockdown this week.

Brock
01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
The only thing we know for sure is the coach Scott has hired or has already got an agreement with is on either the Pit or AZ staffs. Couldn't be anyone else.

Uh, it could be several different people.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
so what should he do? let his players run their mouths all over him? I think what happened with the Boldin situation shouldnt be put on Haley at all.

Strams players respected him enough never to do that. Neither did Shula's nor to the best of my knowledge Marty's,jimmy Johnson's or Shanahan's. The Boldin situation is not the only time in Haley's history. All that said, I would be cool with Haley as our HC.

Frankie
01-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I am still not sure what to think....i thought Clark wanted somebody with HC experience???

We have that in Gailey, if he is kept. So it will balance things out.