PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why not get the affirmative action out of the way?

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 07:21 AM
This is clearly the best offseason we have had in a long, long time. I appreciate what Herm did for the Chiefs, but I am so glad to be bringing in new blood.

The Chiefs were a stale and failing organization. I don't think the old staff was completely without merit, but it was clear that the thing needed to be torn down and rebuilt, much like the Chiefs team in 2006.

I digress.

None of the top candidates that I have heard have been minority coaches. With the Rooney rule in place, why not get a 'token' interview out of the way so we can hire the real coach as soon as possible.

So, that this doesn't come across the wrong way.... I don't care what color our head coach is. I thought higher of Herm Edwards than most fans.

But, if we have 'our guy' in the crosshairs, why not knock out the other BS now so that we can move on our new coach more quickly.

Heck, maybe they have, and we don't know about it. That is possible. But, with the way agents talk these days, I doubt it.

KCChiefsFan88
01-28-2009, 07:34 AM
I think it is an unwritten rule (or maybe it is an actual rule) that all league business pretty much comes to a halt during Super Bowl week, including the process of interviewing and hiring head coaches.

Simplex3
01-28-2009, 07:37 AM
The agent won't be talking if the Chiefs made him sign a non-disclosure before they would interview his guy.

Simplex3
01-28-2009, 07:38 AM
I think it is an unwritten rule (or maybe it is an actual rule) that all league business pretty much comes to a halt during Super Bowl week, including the process of interviewing and hiring head coaches.

It's a written rule that you can't make announcements or do anything that would distract from the Super Bowl.

FringeNC
01-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Isn't possible we have already made the Rooney interview, under the radar?

smittysbar
01-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Imagine that.....you couldn't help it, you had to pimp Herm and Co.

STFU

kstater
01-28-2009, 08:00 AM

Sensible Chief Fan isn't well known for being a mensa member.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
how do you know we haven't interviewed a Rooney candidate already?

Booyaa58
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I agree with the posters who think that Pioli has probably interviewed a minority candidate, a qualified one i.e. Frazier of the Vikings, and like everything else is keeping things close to the vest. :clap:

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
The agent won't be talking if the Chiefs made him sign a non-disclosure before they would interview his guy.

You can have all the 'non-disclosure' agreements you want. An agent can leak the information.

If nothing else, the agent gives a guy like Mort a heads up. Mort starts calling the sources he has close to the coach, and then they merely confirm that he has interviewed with the Chiefs.

Mort never has to say that he got the info from the agent, the agent has leaked the information, and the story is still public.

Or, many of these 'agencies' have tons of staffers. That is another place where guys like Mort get information.

Additionally, if the current minority candidate is under contract, the Chiefs must inform their current team that they are interviewing him. They even ask for permission, but all teams are required to grant permission for any promotion.

There are tons of sources in the league office as well.

Now, clearly, the Chiefs have been able to keep some things more quiet. But, even with the GM search, we heard the different guys they were interviewing, we just didn't know for sure which direction they were going.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Imagine that.....you couldn't help it, you had to pimp Herm and Co.

STFU

Hey, still glad they are gone, but won't join in with the mindless bashing.

The Chiefs are in a better position now for the future than they were when Herm got here. I appreciate that.... even if I would much rather have a different coach at the helm.

But, regardless, I wish the Chiefs would have moved forward a little more quickly.

I am not sold on Haley, but that might be the best coach left that will take a job this year.

beach tribe
01-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Hey, still glad they are gone, but won't join in with the mindless bashing.

The Chiefs are in a better position now for the future than they were when Herm got here. I appreciate that.... even if I would much rather have a different coach at the helm.

But, regardless, I wish the Chiefs would have moved forward a little more quickly.

I am not sold on Haley, but that might be the best coach left that will take a job this year.

Call me crazy, but I trust Pioli's idea of the best candidate for the job over yours.

beach tribe
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
You can have all the 'non-disclosure' agreements you want. An agent can leak the information.

If nothing else, the agent gives a guy like Mort a heads up. Mort starts calling the sources he has close to the coach, and then they merely confirm that he has interviewed with the Chiefs.

Mort never has to say that he got the info from the agent, the agent has leaked the information, and the story is still public.

Or, many of these 'agencies' have tons of staffers. That is another place where guys like Mort get information.

Additionally, if the current minority candidate is under contract, the Chiefs must inform their current team that they are interviewing him. They even ask for permission, but all teams are required to grant permission for any promotion.

There are tons of sources in the league office as well.

Now, clearly, the Chiefs have been able to keep some things more quiet. But, even with the GM search, we heard the different guys they were interviewing, we just didn't know for sure which direction they were going.

AGAIN, we didn't know that Clark had interviewed half a dozen GMs till well after the fact.

JuicesFlowing
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Nick Athan seems to think Crennel is a candidate, as per 1410 in Wichita.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree with the posters who think that Pioli has probably interviewed a minority candidate, a qualified one i.e. Frazier of the Vikings, and like everything else is keeping things close to the vest. :clap:

The Chiefs don't have to put that information out for it to get out.

Not saying you are wrong, but I would be surprised if they have. I imagine they will do their interviews next week.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
AGAIN, we didn't know that Clark had interviewed half a dozen GMs till well after the fact.

Um.... we knew about Marty right away. We knew about the guy from the Bucs right away. We knew about Pioli.

Now, we didn't get a lot of 'buzz', but we heard many of the names.

nychief
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
because there is no need to. We are the only team looking for a head coach... Oakland is.... but the only real NFL team looking for a head coach. The league shuts down during super bowl week... no worries. Monday Leslie Frazier will be in KC.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah, that is why I put it in the original post.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
because there is no need to. We are the only team looking for a head coach... Oakland is.... but the only real NFL team looking for a head coach. The league shuts down during super bowl week... no worries. Monday Leslie Frazier will be in KC.

I don't really care about 'losing out' on a coach. That isn't my concern. My concern is that free agency is five weeks away.

My concern is that the new coach will need to fill out a staff.

My concern is that the combine, and the draft are coming up.

There is a lot of work to do.

The Chiefs can't afford to have a poor draft this year with as high as they are picking. And, the first draft with a new staff is always a challenge.

smittysbar
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't really care about 'losing out' on a coach. That isn't my concern. My concern is that free agency is five weeks away.

My concern is that the new coach will need to fill out a staff.

My concern is that the combine, and the draft are coming up.

There is a lot of work to do.

The Chiefs can't afford to have a poor draft this year with as high as they are picking. And, the first draft with a new staff is always a challenge.

I am pretty sure Pioli is WAY ahead of you. Is it so hard for people to just give him some trust, until he proves otherwise?