PDA

View Full Version : Life 7 Dead in Murder-Suicide

Buck
01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11569378?source=most_viewed

Residents blame family's murder-suicide on economy
By THOMAS WATKINS Associated Press Writer
Posted: 01/27/2009 10:16:36 PM PST

LOS ANGELES—Police officers stood at the front of a crowded church on Tuesday night, offering what few answers they could to explain why a father would kill his wife and five children before turning the gun on himself.

But residents of the suburban community of Wilmington have heard of such violence before. The Lupoe family, whose seven bodies were discovered shot to death Tuesday morning in their home, represents the fifth mass death of a Southern California family by murder or suicide in a year.

This time, residents wanted more than updates to another murder investigation. They wanted solutions to the trend.

Some of the 200 residents who crammed into the community meeting blamed the Lupoes' deaths on a dismal local economy. They cited a suicide note left by Ervin Lupoe in which he describes the "horrendous ordeal" that he and his wife endured after being fired from their jobs as medical technicians at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center West Los Angeles.

"Their employer led them to this," said Carmen Adame, who told city officials she believed Lupoe, like many in her community, was being forced to work under unreasonable conditions.

"Employers are abusing this economy because people don't want to lose their jobs," she said.

Most of the people from this almost entirely Hispanic neighborhood some 18 miles south of downtown didn't know the family well but still sought answers and solace from police and city officials.

But the stresses weighing on this community—like so many others—quickly came to the fore.

"People are frustrated with their government," resident Xavier Hermosillo told city officials. "This is a societal decline."

Councilwoman Janice Hahn, whose district spans Wilmington, told residents there are several agencies and crisis centers available for people facing economic strife. She supplied a list of numbers, including a suicide prevention hot line, offering bilingual advice.

One resident stood up and said, while she appreciated the information, what Wilmington needed was jobs. The community, located between the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, has suffered from a weakened economy, collapsing home prices and a shrinking pool of work at the nearby docks.

Rosa Maldonado, who moved from Long Beach to Wilmington about eight months ago, said because many residents in the community couldn't speak English they felt excluded from the attentions of the wider Los Angeles government.

"We are sad, because Wilmington is forgotten by Los Angeles," Maldonado said in Spanish. "We need to be more involved in the community."

Looking south from Wilmington, towering cranes that unload cargo vessels at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach dominate the horizon.

These economic engines have resulted in little financial benefit for Wilmington while air pollution has impacted the health of locals with higher cancer and asthma rates, Hahn said.

Longshoremen who work on a casual basis have not been employed since Nov. 30, Hahn said, and numbers provided by her office show more than 1,000 homes went into foreclosure from January 2007 to September last year.

"It's real, real slow," said retired truck driver Jaime Solache, who lives a few doors from the Lupoe home.

The region has been shook by several recent mass murders.

On Dec. 24, a man dressed up as Santa Claus invaded a Christmas Eve party and killed his ex-wife and eight of her relatives. The man, who had lost his job, later killed himself.

In October, an unemployed financial manager despairing over extreme money problems shot and killed his wife, three children, mother-in-law and himself in their home in the Porter Ranch area of the San Fernando Valley.

In June, five members of a Turkish-American family, clad in black, were found dead in an upscale home in San Clemente. Investigators say it was apparently a suicide pact but the reason is a mystery.

In February, an apparent murder-suicide claimed the lives of five family members in Yorba Linda. Police say Orland Cho, 41, shot his 39-year-old wife and her children ages 9, 8 and 5. Cho's 14-year-old son survived his wounds.

kstater
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
It's a sad story but this is utter bullshit and nothing but a cop out.

"Their employer led them to this," said Carmen Adame, who told city officials she believed Lupoe, like many in her community, was being forced to work under unreasonable conditions.

oldandslow
01-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Right...because losing everything is not such a big deal.

kstater
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Not a big enough deal to murder 6 others. JFC blaming the employer for someone murdering people?

mikey23545
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Agreed.

allen_kcCard
01-28-2009, 09:44 AM

And losing everything means taking everything away from the children? For spite? To save them from the same fate?

Suicide...fine, but let the kids have a chance to make their own fate.

Buck
01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
And losing everything means taking everything away from the children? For spite? To save them from the same fate?

Suicide...fine, but let the kids have a chance to make their own fate.

This.

smittysbar
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Are you fucking kidding? He murdered his whole family, THERE IS NO EXCUSE!

Sure-Oz
01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
You fight through the hard times you don't fucking give up...

shouldve never happend.

BigRedChief
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Total BS. You get fired so you kill your whole family?

PHOG
01-28-2009, 10:02 AM

They didn't lose everything until he killed everybody plus himself.

Lonewolf Ed
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Total BS. You get fired so you kill your whole family?

That's how it is now. Blame someone or something else each and every time something goes wrong. Don't look in the mirror, just point your finger at whomever you blame and wait for the lawyers to show up.

BigMeatballDave
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
What a guttless piece of shit. There is absolutely No excuse for killing your children like this. I hope he serves eternity as Satans personal anal cleanser.

BigMeatballDave
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Right...because losing everything is not such a big deal.Wow. Stupid quote of the day. Well done...

oldandslow
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow. Stupid quote of the day. Well done...

Yeah, you are right. There is never an excuse for murder. I typed without thinking.

I just feel sorry for people who are on the brink of losing everything and begin to panic.

Dartgod
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I think this quote says it all.

Rosa Maldonado, who moved from Long Beach to Wilmington about eight months ago, said because many residents in the community couldn't speak English they felt excluded from the attentions of the wider Los Angeles government.
Well then, learn to speak the official language of the country in which you reside and maybe more opportunities will open up for you.

Nah. Just sit back instead, waiting for the government to bail you out. And if they don't? It's acceptable to off your entire family. :shake:

Buck
01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I think this quote says it all.

Well then, learn to speak the official language of the country in which you reside and maybe more opportunities will open up for you.

Nah. Just sit back instead, waiting for the government to bail you out. And if they don't? It's acceptable to off your entire family. :shake:

Not to go off on a big tangent, but the United States does not have an official language.

R&GHomer
01-28-2009, 11:46 AM
What an outrage, I can't believe people are trying to lay the blame on anyone other than the peace of shit, coward a hole that murdered his family.

Dartgod
01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Not to go off on a big tangent, but the United States does not have an official language.
Fine, I should have enclosed it in quotes. The bottom line is, if your opportunities are limited because you chose not to speak the language that is commonly spoken, then don't blame the government for your troubles.

Buck
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Fine, I should have enclosed it in quotes. The bottom line is, if your opportunities are limited because you chose not to speak the language that is commonly spoken, then don't blame the government for your troubles.

I think we are thinking along the same lines here.

They are making the excuse that its because they don't speak English, but they really cant use that excuse, since English is not the official language, they better come up w/ a better excuse than that.

I am guessing they don't get any help or attention paid to them because they didn't ask for any in the first place.

Demonpenz
01-28-2009, 12:13 PM
surprised it wasn't a wrestler

DJ's left nut
01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
What an outrage, I can't believe people are trying to lay the blame on anyone other than the peace of shit, coward a hole that murdered his family.

Have you paid much attention to the country over the last 12 months?

It's become a prototypical society of victims. I'd like just a few of these whiny assholes to head down to sub-saharan Africa or even plain ol' Central America. Wanna see some hard times? Watch some buzzards circle over your starving kid...

Even when this nation has it bad, we have it pretty good.

Next stimulus package: Free aircraft tickets to anyone that thinks they're gonna have a better go of it elsewhere. Shit happens here, it happens far worse everywhere else.

This guy, and the !@#$tards defending him, are about the most useless form of human life I can imagine.

Pioli Zombie
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
i take it these people didnt have life insurance, cuz if he did, he could have just knocked himself off, if his policy allowed for suicide like mine does after 2 years, and at least his kids would have had that.
these people who take the kids with them are the lowest scum of the earth, blow your own head off A-hole.
its not "society's fault". its this one total nutcase only thinking about himself.